La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

4.24/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

I cant believe its taken me this long to try this one. I've heard lifetimes about it.

The End of the World.... Here it goes...

Pours a cloudy, murky golden yellow color with an airy head.

The smell is malty with many fruity notes like peaches, apricots, plums, and bananas. Cloves and pepper as well.

It really has a rounded, flavorful, enjoyable taste. A boatload of spices are tossed into this one, meshed with peach/nectarine fruits. I notice similarities to some american wheat beers that I've tried. The high abv is hardly noticeable in the taste, but it warms in your stomach after a few sips. Not as dead-set hoppy as I expected, more sweet and fruity.

The mouthfeel is excellently textured, and this is very drinkable considering the abv.

It took me 24 years to find my first one of these, it probably wont take nearly as long to find the second one. Cheers!

4.57/5  rDev +6%

A- Banana gold with medium carbonation.

S- Like a Tripel should smell. Spices up front with a bit of sweet fruity smell. Tons of things to pick up on.

T- Banana, cloves, spices, belgian yeast, slight hops, notes of apple, pear, a tad of malt, and some very subtle hints of the alcohol in the aftertaste. Hides the ABV extremely well.

As it warms up the alcohol strengthens slightly and the fruit tastes become more vivid, leaving you with a very nice aftertase. I think it hits it's best as it begins to warm up a bit.

M- Fairly full body and very smooth. The carbonation fits the bill and compliments the body very well.

D- One of the easiest 9%'s to drink that I've discovered. I could see myself downing the whole 750ml beast very quickly if not for self control.

I bought four of these after I tasted my first in this review, and I plan to get 4 more. I'd dare to say this is my favorite readily available beer.

3.25/5  rDev -24.6%

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

Cloudy orange color with a foamy think head. Awesome head retention And lacing. Sticks to the glass the whole time. Put it up to a light and you can see carbonation bubbles rushing to the top. From start to finish this Tripel looks great!!

Very crisp aroma. Hints of orange peel, coriander, cloves, bread, and some sweetness from the alcohol.

A fruity tartness hits the tongue at first. Tart like a fresh orange. After that hings of cloves, bread, yeast, and an almost sugar like sweetness. But, this ale has a great balance because the yeast and the grains just pull through.

Light body made refreshing and crisp from the carbonation. At 9% abv they do a very good job at hiding this because is a very very! drinkable Tripel. Probably one of the best damn Tripel ales I have tasted.

Hands down you must try this Ale and now it is easy to find (at least in my state). Can I have some more?

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a light hazy golden with about three fingers of fluffy white head that settles a few minutes later and leave some nice lacing throughout the drink.

Smell: Apple, lemon and some other fruits, clove, spices and yeast.

Taste: Clove, fruit notes, spices and yeast.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and velvety.

Drinkability: Classic example of the Tripel style. My favorite Unibroue beer.

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A:
Pours a hazy dandelion-esque yellow with a creamy, gloppy white head. Good retention; no lacing to speak of.

S:
Sweet and yeasty on the whole with strong pepper, cane sugar, and soap. Quite fresh smelling.

T:
Rich and crisp. Peppery and heavy with yeasty goodness. It finishes fresh and floral with some citrus notes and a vaguely boozy twinge.

M:
Prickly with a creamy head, it is a tad syrupy after a while but doesn't linger too bad and is pleasurable overall.

O:
Really tasty Tripel. It verges on too yeasty but that is the only thing that I can think of that is even close to wrong with it. Really enjoyable beer. Better than one would think.
Sweet but not sticky. Well-carbonated. Easy drinking. But don't be fooled she packs a wollop. Would have again. Worth finding.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Unibroue may very well be my favorite brewery, and ever since I was first blown away by Trois Pistoles, I've gone back to their beers ever since. Tonight will be my first La Fin Du Monde in quite awhile though. I can't wait.

APPEARANCE: Poured (fittingly) into my Unibroue tulip. Pale golden straw in color with slight orange highlights. A rocky white head sits atop but falls somewhat quickly to just a fraction of itself. The half inch head that remains holds very well though, and tops the beer off nicely. No lacing to speak of, however.

SMELL: The smell is of pungent Belgian yeast along with citrus (predominantly orange), coriander and spice, golden raisin, and barely, some leafy hop aromas. The breadiness overpowers the other aromas ever so slightly, but overall, this beer smells great.

TASTE: Starts very bready, but the malt quickly shines with a prominent caramelness. Intense hiccups of sweet orange occasionally pop up. The finish is a little on the dry side but retains the yeasty and malty sweetness.

MOUTHFEEL: A sharp carbonation greets you at first sip and develops into a creamy medium-full body. Just right.

DRINKABILITY: Very easy. The dryness hinders it just a bit, but you wouldn't guess 9%, so it hides it fairly well. This is the perfect beer for a mild spring evening like tonight.

La Fin Du Monde really holds its own in the Belgian Strong Pale category despite the serious competition at the top. I will absolutely revisit this beer again and again.

3.93/5  rDev -8.8%

750ml bottle, best before 2-21-08, poured into a Duvel glass

Gorgeous cloudy golden color, frothy white head leaves some lace, disspiates leaving about 1/3 inch.

Fresh, herbal, grassy aroma, coriander.

Wow, the active fine carbonation creates a fantastically creamy mouthfeel. Utterly addictive, I want to keep drinking more and more...

So crisp and fresh on first tatse, wondeful sweetness spreads across the tongue but balanced perfectly by bracing tanginess...mild hoppy bitterness in the long long finish...but never an overwhelming IPA hophead-type bitterness, an invigorating beautiful interplay of bitter, sweet, refreshing...the 9% alcohol is almost impossible to believe let alone detect...you want to keep drinking and drinking this until...the end of the world!!!

Easily one of the best beers I have had. WHY don't I have more in my fridge right now!

edit 10/17/08: Very interesting to try this after much more beer tasting experience. Still a great beer, but have tasted many better sunce I wrote the review. The flaw here is that the brew is too sweet. I have adjusted my ratings today.

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

341ml bottle
9.0% abv

I tried this beer on December 21, 2007 at "Smokeless Joe's" in Toronto. The beer poured a murkey golden brown with a generous white head. The aroma was a combinaion of malt and plums. The mouthfeel was medium bodied with high carbonation. The favour was spicy, malty, and slightly bitter.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue