La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,859 | Hads: 9,465
2.88/5  rDev -33.2%

One of those beers I got interested in through BA. Sadly, I must report I don't think it lives up to the hype.

A-more yellow than golden, very bubbly, even 10 minutes after pour

S-all i get is faint orangey/lemony smell tinged with iron

T-Meh....Taste like iron with a modest belgian sweetness. I'd rather have the waffle. Surprisingly not astringent or alcoholy. Similiar in taste to a sparking white grape juice.

D- I must give praise on this category. For a 9% beer, it's one of the smoothest and easiest to drink I've had. Take that Miller or Coors Light.

In closing, I give this a whopping MEH. I think Trader Joe's Vintage '07 beats the shit out of this beer, and costs less.

It's so bubbly, you almost think this is more a mid-morning than evening drink. When I crave something bubbly and sweet, I'm almost more tempted just to buy some sparkling cider, which is basically in the same genus as this beer.

This is a pretentious beer and I'm not impressed. What more can I say? I'll drink it again, but I won't buy it again.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a beautiful hazy amber with a fluffy white 1.5 finger head, which settled to a thin layer after a few sips. Leaves a smattering of lace down my Chimay goblet's interior. An amalgam of various fruits and the slightest hint of booze in the nose. Delightful pear, apple and banana notes come to the fore with the first sip, along with a bready/yeasty goodness. Taste finishes with a sparing tinge of herb. Medium viscosity gives this beer a very interesting feel...has a light creaminess to it that perfectly matches its other characteristics. 9% you say? I wouldn't believe you if I wasn't finishing up the bottle. Alcohol is wonderfully (and dangerously) masked. I don't know that I could drink a whole lot of this stuff because it's not exactly light, but it's a great pleasure to drink just one.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Those Canucks sure do know how to brew some tasty beer. Carbonation is a little overkill at first but let this bad boy warm up a little bit and it will open into a perfect balance of fruit, spice, and everything nice. Dry, crisp, smooth and refreshing.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

I didn't know what to expect from this brewery for this Belgian but I must say I was impressed.

A- Nice golden color that almost glows while sayin'don't be shy, drink me.' The head falls quickly but shows it's mark.

S- Awesome clove smell that previews the spicy goodness that's about to hit your pallet. It has that faint 'banana' smell which I notice in Belgian styles like this.

T- Wow... I'm in love. This beer starts with a wonderful rush of goodnessnin the mouth followed by enough bite to satisfy anyone looking for a nice buzz worthy drinking session.

O- This has become a favorite of mine now that I know my local store sells it for $2 less than Delirium Tremens. I'll be reaching for this one on a weekly basis!

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

From a 4-pack of Unibroue 750ml's via Costco.

Great appearance, golden amber with lots of carbonation. Great head and foam retention, settling down to a thin lacing after the second sip. Classic triple aroma, malty, a bit sour, and lots of floral, with a hint of banana. Gentle malt flavor to start, alcohol very well hidden by carbonation and balance of flavor, hops present, but also well balanced. Very effervescent, almost champagne-like. Lots of sugary aftertaste. Very rich in flavor, but very drinkable.

I should have found someone to share this very large bottle with. I'm definitely looking forward to the other 3 bottles.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured into a tulip from a bottle.

A: Pours a burnished yellow. A two finger head appears and quickly recedes to a quarter inch cap.

S: Spicy and alcoholic. A bit of orange citrus. A deep inhale brings out some yeasty undertones.

T: Sweet with some frutiness. I taste mainly pear. I get some clove and other herbal notes I can't quite place.

M: It is crisp and dry up front. The body is feels light because of the high carbonation. I think the finish is a bit sticky, more so than I am used to.

D: I like this beer. It is easy to drink, but not as much as other tripels I have encountered. It goes down easy, but the alcohol let its presence be known.

Notes: I am torn with this beer. I really enjoy it, but I prefer other tripels a bit more. While it is a delicious beer that I will continue to keep, it will find its way only occasionally to my glass.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

(reviewed from notes on Halloween)
Appearance: 750mL bottle into a tulip. Pours a hazed, solid golden yellow with orange highlights. 1 inch head slowly fizzes to a ring around the glass. not too much in terms of lace.

Smell: Really unique and interesting aroma: bubblegum, delicate noble hop floral bouquet, bittersweet orange, lime, lemon, and peppery spiciness.

Taste: Nose transfers directly to the taste: very nice subtle hop bitterness with mellow orange and lime tastes woven in, sprinkled with pepper and bubblegum yeastiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied - creamy and smooth due to a very lifting but not over the top amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: I really don't know how these Belgian style ales hide their alcohol so well. Its almost unbelievable that this is 9% abv, because it drinks like 4% or 5%. This beer is balanced yet flavourful, and goes down smooth.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

A- a very pale cloudy straw, white head (thin)

S- First, strong notes of citrus, spicey-ness follows

T- fruit esters, spice, yeast

M- decent carbonation for style

D- very good

Poured from 750ml bottle into a 4 oz. taster. The thin and quickly dissipating head may be connected to traces of soap on glass... not ideal Had two beers in a row pour thinly into it.

4.24/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured chilled into a glass that sort of resembles a chalice. (Where the hell do you find a chalice anyway?)
My first Tripel so I am very excited.

Appearance: Large fluffy head springs up from initial pour, disappears quickly. A very carbonated looking beer, like champagne with all the bubbles.

Smell: A smorgasboard of fruit flavors, massive esters, a very strong aroma.

Taste: Small hop flavor up front, very fruity - apples, pears. Light but complex.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated, nice and airy.

Overall: Certainly an interesting beer/style. Not my favorite style, but still very good. Great looking bottle btw.

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

A: Mildly cloudy brew with an amber appearance and a off-white head that lingers for about 5 minutes to a nice lace for the remainder of the glass.

S: Talking complex! Spices, yeast, hint of wheat, hint of alcohol, note of honey. Delicious!!

T: Flavor that doesn't stop! Alcohol is masked extremely well for 9%, Notes of cloves, yeast, caramel, wheat, honey, mild hops. Maybe a slight nutty sorta cinnamon note in the aftertaste.

M: heavy complex body, tart dry aftertaste, sweet start, perfect carbonation.

D: Very easy to drink, especially with a steak meal or seafood. high alcohol with a low alcohol taste that will get yo in trouble after a few. (I'm starting to feel a buzz already) Love this one! Recommend it to all at least once.

3.46/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured from a 750-milliliter bottle into a chalice. Has a nice brozenish/yellow colour to it. Has a very nice nose. Hints of cloves/spice and a hint of fruitiness. Fairly smooth, crisp taste but has a slight bitternes to it. Over all great beer, wonderfull winter warmer.(especially on a cold snowy evening)

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Wow. This stuff is good. I've just moved to Canada (from England) and I was perusing the shelves of a local liquor store and bemoaning the cost of import beer (UK and Belgium stuff costs a fortune here). I picked up a bottle of Unibroue Terrible and got into a conversation with a lady that was grabbing armfuls of Unibroue stuff. Anyway, to cut a long story short, she bought all the La Fin Du Monde they had, but told me it was great! I took my bottles over to the counter and found she'd bought a bottle for me! Thanks lady. I just finished gulping most of it down. It reminds me of one of my favourite Belgium beers - Delerium Tremens. It pours a hazy golden colour and once settled is very quaffable. Excellent stuff and I shall be trying more of this in the very near future.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance: to be quite honest with you it looks like i pissed in the glass. very thick urine yellow with a thick head.

Smell: touch of fruit with a hint of alcohol, still not very impressed

Taste: execptionally smooth, strong fruit flavors but nothing over powering. the fact that really dont like pale ale's tells you how good this must be

Mouthfeel: carbination is perfect. it is high dont get me wrong but it works exceptionally well with this beer

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

Served by cellar aged bottle, about 4 months

App: Hazy, Golden orangish with fluffy, whipped cream like head and effervescence. Cloudy. Sparkling like champagne.

Smell: Oranges, Lemons, and a slight funky yeasty smell. Spicy.

Taste: Sweet start with a dry finish. Citrus fruits and sugars, spicy yeast and earthy yet subtle hops.

Mouthfeel: Slight puckering yet refreshing. Smooth, and warming from the alcohol.

Drinkability: Decent. I couldn't have more than 1-2 glasses of this, but its pretty good. Carbonation is a distraction, very effervescent like champage. Taste is great, alcohol is barely noticeable, despite the high ABV. Pleasant yeast flavor, and delicous overtones of oranges and lemons. Excellent beer.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Has a wonderful aroma the combines malty, fruity and honey tones; light, cloudy amber in colour with a fluffy head; smooth, malty and complex flavours do not carry any hint of its strength, just a subtle combination of spicy infusions with an effervescent texture; subtly spicy after taste.

2.81/5  rDev -34.8%

Appearance: Cloudy, golden, long lasting & thick head. Very little lacing.

Smell: Alcohol, banana, bubblegum

Taste: Heavy alcohol flavor, enough that it overshadows everything else. Light taste of caramel.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly creamy, carbonation is not too heavy.

Overall: Too much of an alcohol taste. I don't know if I got my hands on a bad bottle, I wouldn't say it's undrinkable, I did finish the bottle, but it was way too boozy for my taste. The alcohol taste and aftertaste just overshadow everything that could be great about this beer. I understand that it's a tripel, and supposed to be alcoholic, but this is a little above and beyond to me.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

A few of my beer-geek friends were sitting around drinking beer (of course), and talking about some of our favorites. The question came up about which beer we choose if we could only have one beer for the rest of our lives. Being a malt-fiend, I chose some huge dark beer like St. Bernardus Abt. 12, but three folks--without hearing each other--independently came up with La Fin du Monde from Canadian brewer Unibroue. I thought that was an odd response, but I had one for the first time since that conversation--in Montreal with a giant plate of poutine, no less--and I get why they picked it.

La Fin du Monde is officially a "triple fermentation Golden Ale." Like the best Belgian tripels, it's a strong pale ale that perfectly blends malt and hops. It's a big beer at 9% alc./vol., but not overpowering. It flavorful but not too spicy. It's certainly not the very best beer in the world, but it would be hard to find one that better incorporates all the best things about beer. "This beer is brewed to honour of the great explorers, who believed they had reached the end of the world when they discovered America," Unibroue says on their website. One could argue that after La Fin du Monde, there's less of a need to keep searching for that desert island beer.

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

A: thick golden ale with a little head.
S: light fruity, some spices in there.
T: good belgian triple flavor, but doesnt linger, cant taste the booz.
M/D: Good feel, a little over carbonated, pretty easy to drink, could easily drink a couple of them.

3.96/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured into a tulip glass. Pours a bright yellow with a small white head that goes away fast. The scent is of some spicy yeast with a sweet, bready background. The taste brings out more of that sweetness and the spiciness is right there with it. The bread flavor is lying around back there but isn't as prevalent. The mouthfeel is very carbonated but it doesn't feel over the top for this beer. I enjoyed this beer quite a bit and will keep it in my fridge at all times.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle poured into a Hoegaarden hexagonal glass

A - Light gold / flat orange and very opaque. I can't see through the glass. Thick head that dissipated quickly; I messed up on the pour a little.

S - Citrus. Similar to other Belgian style ales, but better. I detect a hint of booze in there somewhere. Very, very sweet smelling. Delicious.

T - Oranges and root beer. Very thick, sweet, and not that bitter. Maybe some cherries. Very complex.

M - Smooth and sweet. This is also a pretty thick brew.

D - Very easy to drink despite the high ABV. The alcohol is there, but you wouldn't know it if it didn't hit you like a sack of potatoes. I prefer to sip this baby over 30 minutes or so.

I love this beer, but its a little pricey ($10 for a 4 pack at Whole Foods). Still, its delicious, and like nothing I have ever had before. I definitely recommend it.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Duvel snifter glass. Hazy light gold color with very lively carbonation. Initial aromas of florally citrus mixed with clove and yeast. Balanced taste that moved from sweet to lightly bitter with hints of orange, yeast and light malts. Taste lingered nicely as it coated the tongue.

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%

A- Honey color. 5mm head.

S- Very sweet and inviting. Yeasty.

T- Very well balanced. Initially quite sweet, giving way to refreshing hop spice. The 9% ABV does not hide, but is not overpowering.

M- Bubbly and clean feeling.

D- Very drinkable. Its complexity makes me want to figure this beer out. It might take a few!

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Pours a hazy, cloudy Yellow-orange. nice head.

S: Lots of sweet aromas here...bananas, Spice, some citrus. The alcohol is noticeable but Nice!

T: Classic for the style - Duvels long lost bro!

M: Nearly perfect..well carbonated...neither too watery, nor too heavy.

D: Insanely good stuff...this is a beer that you could easily drink too much of...

One of my all time favorites from the great north...while I prefer Duvel, this is a world class beer.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

A- Golden and cloudy. Soapy head, about 1"

S- Citrusy lemon with hints of pepper. Almost a lemon pepper

T- Strong tripel taste with buttery start. Citrus in the middle. After tast, pepper at back of tongue.

MF- Medium to heavy carbonation. Like a light fizzy champagne

O- Great tripel. So easy to drink. But, be careful!

3.57/5  rDev -17.2%

I've had this one a couple of times, overall its pretty good, but my drinking of it pretty much depends on what else I have to choose from - if theres not much to speak of, then I would get this again.

A: Light and a slighly cloudly yellow

S: It has light floral hints in its aroma along with a stong smell of yeast.

T: Overall, not to bad - fairly yeasty and crisp, with a little hop in its finish.

M: Not much to say here, the alcohol is hidden pretty well and it is neither light nor heavy in feel.

D: See above, I'd get it again, but it would be far from a top pick.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue