La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,821 | Hads: 9,234
4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

First beer of my Wednesday night session at World of Beer UCF. It has been a long week.
This is a great triple that was poured from the tap. It has a hazy sunrise yellow colour with a small head that did not last.
The nose was spice and huge amounts of orange peel.
First taste confined the clove and orange with a hint of black pepper on the back pallete.
Yummy creamy mouth feel added to the enjoyment. A great way to start the evening, great to drink another awesome north American taking the `belgiAn beer challenge`. (521 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

First, let me explain that I am an Englishman living in Maine (im a student). I've found it near impossible to get a good beer round here, despite the claims of many microbrews.

La Fin du Monde pours wonderfully, a big lively head that bubbles away, but yet the beer itself is perfectly carbonated naturally. 5 minutes out of the fridge and this beer was as smooth as silk on the tongue with a lush caramel hint with the tang of hops coming through. This beer just smells and tastes like a Beligian Ale should, the sweetness really comes home. At 9% I was expecting a kick/harshness; there was none.

This is a real sipping beer, not one to be knocked back. The taste stays strong and smooth, and this is after the bottle has been opened and out for close to 2 hours. A real beer to savor over the course of an evening, and one I shall be getting again.

Allagash take note, this is how it should be done. (912 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +10.4%

I tried this beer based on the reviews here and went into my local pub with skepticism... because I'm not a real fan of anything Canadian... no I'm not a stereotyping hypocrite, just bad luck i guess...

The bottle looks great, full of color and character, making it very appealing to the eye, but that's just the beginning. As I poured it into the glass, my heart started racing, my hand sweating. Did i see a hot chick walk across the floor? No, this beer really looks that good.
The golden orange color is bold, the head a heavenly white and very thick. I unfortunately couldn't smell much since nose was a little clogged, but if anything I did smell some wheat.
Taste is overwhelmingly refreshing. It is bold, revitalizing, and quite a treat. It truly is the best of the Belgian Strong Pale Ales. At first, the orange-like citrus flavors emerge, bombarding the palette with rich and lucious textures, with slight undertones of wheat and bread, especially in the aftertaste.
There is no overstating the strong and pronounced taste of this beer. Duvel is very subdued in comparison.
I could not feel any alcohol in this beer, as I did in others the same night, and no... my senses were not dulled by then.

All in all, a very enjoyable and exquisite beer. Truly one that I would like to have over and over, especially after meals...
Kudos to Canada!!! (1,362 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured a 3 finger head with nice lacing and a head that covered the brew until the end. The color was a mildly cloudy straw gold with active beading. I was able to swirl up a nice froth at any given time.

Smell has some vanilla, clove spiciness, with mild yeasty funk and bubble gum with some fruity esters. The hops are low-key and balance this baby out beautifully.

Taste is incredible. Smooth and creamy with an abundance of flavors. Well blended fruity esters with mild hop character. It tastes like a wit on steroids, with some tripel characteristics. The alcohol seems non-existent until you polish off a bottle. The flavor coats the palate, begging for more.

Savor this one and drink it leisurely or just buy another and start a session. That 9% ABV creeps up on you because this is one sweet brew and I could definitely drink these all day! Without a doubt, this is a world class beer. (896 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%

Wow, I loved this beer. Drinking it reminded me of Christmas. You can definitely taste the coriander, which really gives it a spicy almost nutmeg on eggnog flavor. Wonderful smell and beautiful color. I really loved this beer and plan on having much more of it in the future. (275 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

750 mL bottle to a tulip

A: Poured a nice cloudy golden color with a bright white 2 finger head that didn't go away.

S: Nice spices and a very present yeast esters with a little bit of a citrus smell.

T: Just like the aroma of the beer it starts with the spice notes up front and moves into the citrus area then a touch of hops. Again with the yeast esters you get all those nice complex fruit flavors.

MF/D: On the lighter side with very high carbonation and a very low alcohol flavor if any at all. No heat from the alcohol either. Very nice tripel but with the high carbonation I could only drink a few. (610 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

Enjoyed Maudite and Unibroue's blonde, but this takes the cake.

Poured a steady thick head, with lots of bubbling and yeast rising. Appearance is wonderful, thick and creamy orange that tapers off at the bottom, and the head leaves a good bit of lacing.

Smells of sharp, crisp citrus.

Taste is pleasing, spicy and comes with the same citrus scented except stronger -- now accompanied by honey and fruit. There is a hint of raspberry, and the high alcohol content is also present, but not overpowering as in some strong brew.

Mouthfeel is very smooth, no cling to it, with lots of hops and roll on the tongue.

Quite easily drinkable, and repeatively so, though be wary -- 9% can creep up on you, especially when contained in such a well-layered beer. A brew to sip, not chug. (779 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Served "refrigerator cold".

Appearance is indistinguishable from rays of sunlight marking the end of a hurricane.

Has a flowery character. Very hoppy, but not in an overpowering sense. This is likely due to the high ABV.

Likely my favorite beer. (294 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a 750ml into a Spiegelau Snifter.

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a nice, full white head. Moderate lacing.

S: Fruity! I smell lemons, apples and other citrusy smells. Traces of some spices and malts.

T: Absolutely delicious! One of the best beers I've had the pleasure of having. Fruity notes all the way down rounded up by the yeast. Complex.

M: Very clean and crisp with the perfect carbonation to compliment. You will wan't to drink it fast and keep drinking it! Don't forget to enjoy it though!

D: See mouthfeel. What can I say? This beer is perfect. (583 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

Appearance - Pale yellow and a little cloudy. Small off-white head. A nice hiss of carbonation when I opened the bottle.

Smell - Different. I'm not too familiar with the Belgian style beers; I've had a few, but not enough to really know what they are all about. The smell is sort of fruity, malty, and yeasty but also has a sort of spicy funk to it. A little hint of phenolic medicinal smell.

Taste - The taste really matches the smell of this one. Sort of a fruity and malty taste with a heavy taste of yeast and peppery spicyness. Slight alcohol burn from the 9% ABV. It has a nice hop balance that is just shy of balancing the malt but lets the other flavors come through.

Mouthfeel - It has a good heavy body that hangs around in your mouth. It has a little bit of a tongue numbing effect after you've had a few healthy swallows.

Drinkability - Very nice. Definitely a sipper and not a gulper. When doing one of these tastings for BeerAdvocate, I tend to take very frequent sniffs and sips while I am writing. This one has already gone to my head before I can even finish typing the review and I still have half of the glass left.

I remember buying one of these once when I was traveling on business, before I started home brewing and really getting to know craft beers. I didn't remember much about it's flavor other than that I thought it was very strange and not something I'd want to drink much of. Now I can appreciate a lot more of the style and unique flavors these Belgians have. (1,497 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

A: Pours straw yellow, cloudy, with very little head that quickly dissipates. Very pretty beer that comes in a very fancy bottle.

S: A sort of wheaty/fruity smell, pleasant at first, but quickly becomes somewhat unpleasant. A hint of something fermented.

T: Fermented Wheat. Sweet finish. Definitely an acquired taste, my first bottle was about as enjoyable as chewing broken glass. Tried again a week later, not unpleasant, but not something I enjoyed. Tried it again today, was rather enjoyable. This beer seriously benefits from multiple tastings.

M: Very thin, and watery at first, but becomes almost jelly-like when it warms up in your mouth. One of the oddest feelings I've ever had with a beer.

D: This was my first and last six pack of La Fin du Monde, although I eventually came to appreciate its flavour, I just couldn't get into this beer. If you enjoy beers like Blanche de Chambly or Hacker-Pschorr, I think you would find this beer rather agreeable, but if you enjoy darker brews with smoother tastes I'd keep clear. (1,035 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%

A - Opaque light golden color. White bubbly head, dissipated pretty quick but with light lacing. Poured into a goblet.

S - Yeast is prominent, and I can make out some tropical fruit like banana.

T - Taste is nice. Kind of hard to nail down. Unique yeasts, that are up front, Belgian style ale. The sweetness comes right after the yeast, tropical fruit like banana. Pretty well balanced. I can't really describe it but it is good. Sweetness is subtle..the finish is not overly sweet. I find it getting better and better. Alcohol is masked very well, it is not dry.

M - Not thin, bubbly. Good carbonation but not overly so. Very nice feel. (640 characters)

Poured into my Unibroue glass.

This brew pours an inviting hazy dark golden hue with visible flakes of yeast floating around. Produces a large creamy white head which sticks around til the end. The lacing left some peculiar designs in my glass. Beautiful!

Smells of mixed yeasts and some sweet malts in the background. The smell makes you rather thirsty...

WOW this tastes fantastic. A symphony of cloves, bananas, earthy grain, a hint of spice, and sweet creamy malts and the slightest hoppiness on the aftertaste. Reminds me a lot of a hefeweizen. For a 9% beer, the alcohol is hidden impressively. Extremely refreshing.

Carbonation is perfect. The alcohol is completely hidden yet it still warms your mouth. It's soft, thick, creamy, everything a beer should be.

Brilliant. I am definitely coming back for more of this. (827 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This will be my first review here, so I hope I don't screw it up.
I have seen this beer on the shelf at my local grocery store for sometime now. Judging by the strange name and label, I dismissed it in the past. It had a price of $7.50 for the 750ml bottle. I was in the mood for something different with a high ABV(had a bad day). I held it up to the light and to my surprise I saw a nice cloudy haze with a decent amount of sediment on the bottom. Poured it into my trusty DFH pint glass. The color was a bright orange-yellow with a one finger head. It aroma was glorious, with citrus, clove, and the obvious high ABV. The first sip was a revelation. I am a BIG hefeweisen fan, and this tripple was a close cousin. The high ABV was overshadowed by the fruit and yeast notes. This might be my new favorite brew, and that is saying alot. It turned my bad day around 180 degrees. Prost! (887 characters)

Really is a thing of beauty. After the first sip i knew this deserved the praise it receives. Unbelievable taste for such a well balanced, good tasting experience. Very fruity and delicious. Hard to believe its nine percent and really hits you all the sudden haha. I understand they sold out to bigger company but high quality is still present. (344 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured one from a 750ML Corked Bottle that I have held onto for close to a year. Used a tulip shaped glass.
Pretty nice head with good carbonation. Nice aroma with hints of bannana. Now for the first taste of the night. I find this to have a nice fruity character with a slight warming aftertaste. I really am surprised by the 9% ABV. This beer hides it 's strength well. Very pleasant mouthfeel for this brew. Overall this is an excellent beer that I highly recommend. (471 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -3%

Pours a deep golden yellow, with a smaller fizzy white head. Small bubbles continuously run up the side of my glass giving the beer a nice ring of lacing. The aroma is a wonderfully sweet malty smell, some citrus and many floral accents. The taste is a very sweet, malty flavour, much like the nose, great belgian taste, can taste the alcohol, but it is hidden pretty well under the taste. Mouthfeel is smooth and clean, but very carbonated. My mouth is tingling from the effervescence and alcohol. This beer is wonderful and i feel i could drink this forever (559 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

By some fluke, I came across a case (six four-packs) of LA FIN DU MONDE for $30 in Boone, NC. Being a huge fan of the UNIBROUE brewery, I couldn't pass up this opportunity for a beer I've never tasted from a brewery I love. I'm a bigger fan of the DON DE DIEU, but this beer did not fail to deliver.

A- Negligible, sad to say. It poured horribly from bottle to pub glass which lend credence to the reviews I've seen in the past about the carbonation. This is not a pleasant beer to look at straight out of the bottle. I'm still watching my second glass settle. The lace looks like a vanilla milkshake. Not a show-beer.

S- I can't stop sniffing this beer with every sip. Coriander and...is that tangerine? From front to back, this beer smells even better as it warms and the fruit has made its way to the front.

T- Now I understand why fellow reviewers can't believe this is a 9.0% brew. I could easily finish a 4-pack before my liver reminds me that was a bad idea. The damned thing sips (doesn't taste, mind you) like a Hefe. I keep going back expecting a bite and it never happens. This is the subtlety of the variety of spices that have gone into brewing this piece of work. I'm usually a heavy smoker, and even heavier when drinking, but I don't even want a cigarette during this beer for fear of ruining the light and almost spicy taste of this remarkable tripel.

M- Nothing negative to say. No chop, no wince, a thoroughly enjoyable drink from neck to coaster. The fruit lingers not on the tongue, but in the entire mouth. What a joy!

O- My largest complaint is the pour. I've spent enough time in front of and behind the bar, I still can't find a way to pour this beer correctly. I'm sure out of a tap it's easier, but even on my third glass, refrigerated at a moderate 42 degrees, a 3-inch head settled into an inch and didn't disappear. Aesthetics aside, a top-notch beer for a great price. UNIBROUE never fails to deliver! (1,938 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

750 ml corked bottle -> tulip glass

Pours a beautiful paler-golden color in the glass and is exceptionally cloudy. It glows in the glass. Tons of beautiful creamy white head with only a modest amount of lacing on the glass. It's very fragrant and smells sweet with some fruitiness (peach? apricot?) and spice in the scent. Drinking it makes you feel warm. You get a lot of the spices (cloves?) along with a deliciously sweet maltiness. The fruit still plays a big part in the taste, and the warmth comes from the alcohol content which is definitely more present as you swallow the beer. The beer is super creamy in your mouth. I really enjoyed this beer experience. (669 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +3.9%

I had first tried La Fin Du Monde some months ago with a lovely pasta dinner and was thoroughly impressed. The following is an official review. Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a snifter (really need to acquire a proper tulip glass...)

Appearance: A beautiful light amber hue that gradates slightly at the edges (can't really see through it in the middle of the glass). Leaves a sizable just-off-white head and appears wonderfully effervescent. The head isn't terribly thick or pillowy, and doesn't stick around for all that long, but can easily be rejuvenated with a gentle swirling of the glass. The bubbles will just not go away, either. Here's a funny/interesting observation: this beer SOUNDS appealing, by which I mean the process of pouring and of swirling the beer produces a crackling sound similar to that of Rice Krispies when doused with milk.

Smell: Banana notes and a peppery spiciness, which have been mentioned by other reviewers, are certainly there, too. After tasting, it becomes clear that not all the complexities of the beer are present in the aroma.

Taste: Yeasty, biscuity, and sweet. Hop bitterness and malt character are subdued.

Mouthfeel: Pleasant carbonation mixed with sweet smoothness give this brew a high rating.

Drinkability: Could not be higher, really. This is a strong beer but does not taste that way. Still, this is not for chugging.

Notes: My first tripel was Victory's Golden Monkey, which I won't ever be buying again. This is because the combination of Unibroue's availability, price, and sheer quality (a reflection of exceptional craftsmanship) cannot be overstated, and are simply unbeatable. Though I know there are probably superior Belgian Tripels out there, I also know I won't be able to help measuring other examples against this outstanding specimen. (1,810 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Golden rich hue, good head (near two finger), some lacing through the drink.

S - that great level of complexity is reached with this one...what you would expect from a Trippel yet more pronounced than average, some fruit, white wine type notes, pleasant alcohol type notes, yet also strong profile with a much welcomed and tempered Belgium bitterness.

T - great, thick, full flavored taste...accentuates all that was mentioned concerning the aroma.

M - rich smooth and thick yet still very bubbly, near perfect for carrying the complexity...not to light/swift as to miss anything, nor to syrupy/slow to have any one flavor component linger in a lack of balance.

D - Impressive. The actual, true champagne of beers, at least craft beers. High ABV suggests to enjoy slowly. But it's so good that's actually a little tough to do.

One of the rare ones for me which rivals any food pairing at all.
Can be enjoyed strait up alone...or with anything you wish to cut with the dryness of a Tripel. To be savored, sipped. Highly recommended if you want to see what a great Tripel is all about. (1,095 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured a hazy light colour into a pint glass. Lots of yeasty esters from the top, but nothing too distinct. Notes of sweet apple and traditional Unibroue mangoish scents.

Wonderful in the mouth with big citrus and fruity notes from the suspended yeast. It was very nice on a hot summer day and could be dangerously drinkable if I had more than the two I did at nine percent.

A fantastic effort and my favorite from the Unibroue stable. (437 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Massive head and you can see tendrils of carbonation when held up to the light

S: CLOVE, sweet banana, and slight alcohol

T: Fruity and spicy, followed by significant alcohol burn which seems to fit with the taste and exits through the nose (not unpleasant)

M: Very effervescent and hard to 'grip'; I feel that this interferes with proper tasting

D: I could drink these all night

The bottle and style are appealing. (423 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

A 12-ish oz. pour from a 750 ml bottle to chilled glass. Not a tulip glass as suggested by the bottler.

Appearance: Slightly cloudy with many bubbles that slowly rise to the head. The head itself was about 2" in height and is now approx. 1/8" in height after resting for a couple minutes.

Smell: Had to close my eyes and get very close to find a smell (so close I got the tip of my nose in the beer). The best description I have at the moment is a subtle, bright yeasty smell. I've never smelled any beer quite like it to date.

Taste: I can taste the yeast more so than I can smell it. Bright. Distinctive acidic, citrus, almost lemon taste to it without the sourness of a lemon. Part of me wants to say lemongrass but I'm not 100% sure that applies. Overall, a memorable first taste that is vaguely reminiscent of Boulevard Wheat that quickly changes to something else entirely (still figuring that out). Bubbly at first and with a quick springy, flowery finish. Was looking for a longer finish or stronger opening with this beer.

Mouthfeel: It hits the sides of my tongue towards the back of my mouth. Drinking this makes my mouth want to leap a bit after each sip.

Overall: A great sipping beer. High ABV that hides a bit behind the yeast and bubbles upon pouring. It's still easy to notice its high ABV however. Not out of the park on taste; i was hoping for a more bold flavor that would be worthy of the label "The End of the World". It would be ideal for serving at a small gathering where conversation is intelligent, or (as many have done so far) toasting beer at End of the World celebrations.

This is my first review of a beer. I am supremely overjoyed that, having survived the new year, I can go on to review other beers.

Purchased 4-750 mL bottles at $6.99 about a week before Christmas 2012. (1,814 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from large bottle to regular glass (yes I ignored the tulip recommendtion but only becuase i don't have one!).

A: Cloudy and golden with bubbles rising happily to the surface. Lovely head slightly thinner than my finger shrinking but lingering for quite awhile.

S: Not quite sure how to describe this, its somewhat unique. Slightly yeasty I guess? All I know is that is seems to be come with all of the Unibroue products I have tried. Strange but I've come to appriciate it.

T: Sweet but not heavily like a porter or stout. Most of the flavors I notice come after I swallow. Kinda smooth and nutty fading into a lingering grape juice like sweetness that I really enjoy. You will also get the distinct Unbroue taste that comes withall their stuff. If impatient enough to sip while the head is still there you may find it very smooth and creamy.

M: Nothing too special about it. Its thin and bubble. Nothing wrong with it either though. If it was summer I might be more excited about it.

O: A nicely sweet and fruity brew with a decent drinkabilty. My only problem is that the taste of the 9% alc. does slip through now and again but the after taste makes up for it in my opinion.

Random notes on this beer: This is my second time having it. This is the brew that introduced me to the glorious world of Unibroue. Its not my favortie from them but more than worth having. I'm having it now because when I started drink it it was 12/21/12 and I made a pleadge to have it at midnight as the name itself apparentlly means The end of the world. Ultimately I used that as an excuse to have this agian. (1,608 characters)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue