Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,846 | Hads: 9,376
4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance: to be quite honest with you it looks like i pissed in the glass. very thick urine yellow with a thick head.

Smell: touch of fruit with a hint of alcohol, still not very impressed

Taste: execptionally smooth, strong fruit flavors but nothing over powering. the fact that really dont like pale ale's tells you how good this must be

Mouthfeel: carbination is perfect. it is high dont get me wrong but it works exceptionally well with this beer

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

Served by cellar aged bottle, about 4 months

App: Hazy, Golden orangish with fluffy, whipped cream like head and effervescence. Cloudy. Sparkling like champagne.

Smell: Oranges, Lemons, and a slight funky yeasty smell. Spicy.

Taste: Sweet start with a dry finish. Citrus fruits and sugars, spicy yeast and earthy yet subtle hops.

Mouthfeel: Slight puckering yet refreshing. Smooth, and warming from the alcohol.

Drinkability: Decent. I couldn't have more than 1-2 glasses of this, but its pretty good. Carbonation is a distraction, very effervescent like champage. Taste is great, alcohol is barely noticeable, despite the high ABV. Pleasant yeast flavor, and delicous overtones of oranges and lemons. Excellent beer.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Has a wonderful aroma the combines malty, fruity and honey tones; light, cloudy amber in colour with a fluffy head; smooth, malty and complex flavours do not carry any hint of its strength, just a subtle combination of spicy infusions with an effervescent texture; subtly spicy after taste.

2.81/5  rDev -34.8%

Appearance: Cloudy, golden, long lasting & thick head. Very little lacing.

Smell: Alcohol, banana, bubblegum

Taste: Heavy alcohol flavor, enough that it overshadows everything else. Light taste of caramel.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly creamy, carbonation is not too heavy.

Overall: Too much of an alcohol taste. I don't know if I got my hands on a bad bottle, I wouldn't say it's undrinkable, I did finish the bottle, but it was way too boozy for my taste. The alcohol taste and aftertaste just overshadow everything that could be great about this beer. I understand that it's a tripel, and supposed to be alcoholic, but this is a little above and beyond to me.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

A few of my beer-geek friends were sitting around drinking beer (of course), and talking about some of our favorites. The question came up about which beer we choose if we could only have one beer for the rest of our lives. Being a malt-fiend, I chose some huge dark beer like St. Bernardus Abt. 12, but three folks--without hearing each other--independently came up with La Fin du Monde from Canadian brewer Unibroue. I thought that was an odd response, but I had one for the first time since that conversation--in Montreal with a giant plate of poutine, no less--and I get why they picked it.

La Fin du Monde is officially a "triple fermentation Golden Ale." Like the best Belgian tripels, it's a strong pale ale that perfectly blends malt and hops. It's a big beer at 9% alc./vol., but not overpowering. It flavorful but not too spicy. It's certainly not the very best beer in the world, but it would be hard to find one that better incorporates all the best things about beer. "This beer is brewed to honour of the great explorers, who believed they had reached the end of the world when they discovered America," Unibroue says on their website. One could argue that after La Fin du Monde, there's less of a need to keep searching for that desert island beer.

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

A: thick golden ale with a little head.
S: light fruity, some spices in there.
T: good belgian triple flavor, but doesnt linger, cant taste the booz.
M/D: Good feel, a little over carbonated, pretty easy to drink, could easily drink a couple of them.

3.96/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured into a tulip glass. Pours a bright yellow with a small white head that goes away fast. The scent is of some spicy yeast with a sweet, bready background. The taste brings out more of that sweetness and the spiciness is right there with it. The bread flavor is lying around back there but isn't as prevalent. The mouthfeel is very carbonated but it doesn't feel over the top for this beer. I enjoyed this beer quite a bit and will keep it in my fridge at all times.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle poured into a Hoegaarden hexagonal glass

A - Light gold / flat orange and very opaque. I can't see through the glass. Thick head that dissipated quickly; I messed up on the pour a little.

S - Citrus. Similar to other Belgian style ales, but better. I detect a hint of booze in there somewhere. Very, very sweet smelling. Delicious.

T - Oranges and root beer. Very thick, sweet, and not that bitter. Maybe some cherries. Very complex.

M - Smooth and sweet. This is also a pretty thick brew.

D - Very easy to drink despite the high ABV. The alcohol is there, but you wouldn't know it if it didn't hit you like a sack of potatoes. I prefer to sip this baby over 30 minutes or so.

I love this beer, but its a little pricey ($10 for a 4 pack at Whole Foods). Still, its delicious, and like nothing I have ever had before. I definitely recommend it.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Duvel snifter glass. Hazy light gold color with very lively carbonation. Initial aromas of florally citrus mixed with clove and yeast. Balanced taste that moved from sweet to lightly bitter with hints of orange, yeast and light malts. Taste lingered nicely as it coated the tongue.

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%

A- Honey color. 5mm head.

S- Very sweet and inviting. Yeasty.

T- Very well balanced. Initially quite sweet, giving way to refreshing hop spice. The 9% ABV does not hide, but is not overpowering.

M- Bubbly and clean feeling.

D- Very drinkable. Its complexity makes me want to figure this beer out. It might take a few!

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Pours a hazy, cloudy Yellow-orange. nice head.

S: Lots of sweet aromas here...bananas, Spice, some citrus. The alcohol is noticeable but Nice!

T: Classic for the style - Duvels long lost bro!

M: Nearly perfect..well carbonated...neither too watery, nor too heavy.

D: Insanely good stuff...this is a beer that you could easily drink too much of...

One of my all time favorites from the great north...while I prefer Duvel, this is a world class beer.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

A- Golden and cloudy. Soapy head, about 1"

S- Citrusy lemon with hints of pepper. Almost a lemon pepper

T- Strong tripel taste with buttery start. Citrus in the middle. After tast, pepper at back of tongue.

MF- Medium to heavy carbonation. Like a light fizzy champagne

O- Great tripel. So easy to drink. But, be careful!

3.57/5  rDev -17.2%

I've had this one a couple of times, overall its pretty good, but my drinking of it pretty much depends on what else I have to choose from - if theres not much to speak of, then I would get this again.

A: Light and a slighly cloudly yellow

S: It has light floral hints in its aroma along with a stong smell of yeast.

T: Overall, not to bad - fairly yeasty and crisp, with a little hop in its finish.

M: Not much to say here, the alcohol is hidden pretty well and it is neither light nor heavy in feel.

D: See above, I'd get it again, but it would be far from a top pick.

3.77/5  rDev -12.5%

this was a very aromatic beer from the start. nice head and fruity/spicey (cloves maybe ginger) smell as well as after taste. delightfully bitter and pretty strong as well. a nice color kinda cloudy but rich in color. i would say the mouth feel is very lively .a well firmented brew. drinkability is kind of slow after the 2cd one. but still over all very good . i really enjoyed this beer. i also enjoyed its sister.. maudite (pardon if misspelled). but thats another review.

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%

With a satisfying "POP" the cork is sprung from the top of my bomber of La Fin Du Monde and I pour it's dark golden, almost orange contents into my brandy snifter. The head is massive, about 3 fingers worth. It smells of belgian yeast, banannas, clove, and sweet dark fruits. As I drink, there is plenty of lacing left lingering on the glass.

This is a very well balanced beer with a medium mouthfeel and a very smooth taste. It has a sweet almost lemon aftertaste that lingers on the tongue.

As I have begun to notice with great belgian style beers, it is extremely drinkable which is dangerous with it's high ABV.

Overall, a superb beer leaving me wanting more. Again, kudos to the chef!

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a 355 ml bottle dated 02-17-12.

Poured into a Chimay chalice a golden yellow/orange with a quickly dissipating ivory head and little to no lacing.Smells of clove, spice,and fruit. Taste the same as the smell, sweet fruit, clove, with a semi dry finish, Just a fantastic taste. Mouthfeel is smooth and very carbonated. Drinkability is a little hampered by the high ABV that is well hidden until the bottom of the glass( like I feel now drinking while reviewing). Overall a fantastic beer,although not at all like the St. Bernardus Tripel, the Corsendonk Agnus or the Chimay Tripel I have also tried.

4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

By far one of my all time favorite beers and a first choice when recommending a new beer to a friend. To me the smell and taste has that familiar fruit, almost banana, like resonance of many tripels and some hefes but isn't over bearing as with some. Initially sweet with a hoppy finish, tons of flavor throughout and a lasting dryness as it parts. I am not so grandiose to claim notes of different tastes but the flavor is not a simple one, yet doesn't confuse my mouth as it typically grins after the first taste.

I love the head of this beer- thick and creamy and sticks to the glass... Never before had I appreciated such a thing before trying this beer.

I gave appearance a 5 because the presentation is is great and in a glass it looks a lot like a tripel, can not ask for anything more, nor can I find anything to fault.

The only fault I find is this beer tends to be slightly too carbonated, not over the top but just more than it needs to be.

A must try, in my book, if you are even slightly interested in venturing out in the beer world. Fairly easy to find and not overly expensive but be careful as you will not notice the 9% alc/vol as you are tasting this "End of the World" experience.

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours light with a creamy topper that settles down nicely. This beer puts off a spicy aroma that knocked me off track at first, but I got used to it. My notes say "almost gross, but not quite." It's weird. However, the taste more than makes up for the smell of this little wonder. Tastes like a million spices mixed beautifully in one bottle, along with hints of acidic fruits (orange, lemon, etc.) and banana bread. It's difficult to articulate the taste. Carbonation level is relatively high, but it gives the beer a soothing drinkability.

Overall: an excellent, excellent beer. I was skeptical after my first sniff, but it still blew my socks off.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

First beer of my Wednesday night session at World of Beer UCF. It has been a long week.
This is a great triple that was poured from the tap. It has a hazy sunrise yellow colour with a small head that did not last.
The nose was spice and huge amounts of orange peel.
First taste confined the clove and orange with a hint of black pepper on the back pallete.
Yummy creamy mouth feel added to the enjoyment. A great way to start the evening, great to drink another awesome north American taking the `belgiAn beer challenge`.

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

First, let me explain that I am an Englishman living in Maine (im a student). I've found it near impossible to get a good beer round here, despite the claims of many microbrews.

La Fin du Monde pours wonderfully, a big lively head that bubbles away, but yet the beer itself is perfectly carbonated naturally. 5 minutes out of the fridge and this beer was as smooth as silk on the tongue with a lush caramel hint with the tang of hops coming through. This beer just smells and tastes like a Beligian Ale should, the sweetness really comes home. At 9% I was expecting a kick/harshness; there was none.

This is a real sipping beer, not one to be knocked back. The taste stays strong and smooth, and this is after the bottle has been opened and out for close to 2 hours. A real beer to savor over the course of an evening, and one I shall be getting again.

Allagash take note, this is how it should be done.

4.76/5  rDev +10.4%

I tried this beer based on the reviews here and went into my local pub with skepticism... because I'm not a real fan of anything Canadian... no I'm not a stereotyping hypocrite, just bad luck i guess...

The bottle looks great, full of color and character, making it very appealing to the eye, but that's just the beginning. As I poured it into the glass, my heart started racing, my hand sweating. Did i see a hot chick walk across the floor? No, this beer really looks that good.
The golden orange color is bold, the head a heavenly white and very thick. I unfortunately couldn't smell much since nose was a little clogged, but if anything I did smell some wheat.
Taste is overwhelmingly refreshing. It is bold, revitalizing, and quite a treat. It truly is the best of the Belgian Strong Pale Ales. At first, the orange-like citrus flavors emerge, bombarding the palette with rich and lucious textures, with slight undertones of wheat and bread, especially in the aftertaste.
There is no overstating the strong and pronounced taste of this beer. Duvel is very subdued in comparison.
I could not feel any alcohol in this beer, as I did in others the same night, and no... my senses were not dulled by then.

All in all, a very enjoyable and exquisite beer. Truly one that I would like to have over and over, especially after meals...
Kudos to Canada!!!

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured a 3 finger head with nice lacing and a head that covered the brew until the end. The color was a mildly cloudy straw gold with active beading. I was able to swirl up a nice froth at any given time.

Smell has some vanilla, clove spiciness, with mild yeasty funk and bubble gum with some fruity esters. The hops are low-key and balance this baby out beautifully.

Taste is incredible. Smooth and creamy with an abundance of flavors. Well blended fruity esters with mild hop character. It tastes like a wit on steroids, with some tripel characteristics. The alcohol seems non-existent until you polish off a bottle. The flavor coats the palate, begging for more.

Savor this one and drink it leisurely or just buy another and start a session. That 9% ABV creeps up on you because this is one sweet brew and I could definitely drink these all day! Without a doubt, this is a world class beer.

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%

Wow, I loved this beer. Drinking it reminded me of Christmas. You can definitely taste the coriander, which really gives it a spicy almost nutmeg on eggnog flavor. Wonderful smell and beautiful color. I really loved this beer and plan on having much more of it in the future.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

750 mL bottle to a tulip

A: Poured a nice cloudy golden color with a bright white 2 finger head that didn't go away.

S: Nice spices and a very present yeast esters with a little bit of a citrus smell.

T: Just like the aroma of the beer it starts with the spice notes up front and moves into the citrus area then a touch of hops. Again with the yeast esters you get all those nice complex fruit flavors.

MF/D: On the lighter side with very high carbonation and a very low alcohol flavor if any at all. No heat from the alcohol either. Very nice tripel but with the high carbonation I could only drink a few.

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

Enjoyed Maudite and Unibroue's blonde, but this takes the cake.

Poured a steady thick head, with lots of bubbling and yeast rising. Appearance is wonderful, thick and creamy orange that tapers off at the bottom, and the head leaves a good bit of lacing.

Smells of sharp, crisp citrus.

Taste is pleasing, spicy and comes with the same citrus scented except stronger -- now accompanied by honey and fruit. There is a hint of raspberry, and the high alcohol content is also present, but not overpowering as in some strong brew.

Mouthfeel is very smooth, no cling to it, with lots of hops and roll on the tongue.

Quite easily drinkable, and repeatively so, though be wary -- 9% can creep up on you, especially when contained in such a well-layered beer. A brew to sip, not chug.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue