La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros

DocJ87, Jan 13, 2012

4.6/5  rDev +6.5%

Taologic, Dec 13, 2013

ItsMe, Oct 28, 2014
3.83/5  rDev -11.3%

Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde is held in high esteem around these parts; I decided to try it for myself and see how it stacks up. La Fin Du Monde is not a beer for the faint of heart, and it's not a beer that you're going to drink six of in an evening. It exemplifies that motto, 'respect beer.' But let's see how it stacks up - it should be noted that I *tried* to age this beer, but folded and drank it within three months of purchasing it.

Appearance is very nice. Poured from the silver-foiled industry standard bottle into a Leffe glass (the closest I had to the reccomended glassware), it has a quite cloudy orange-brown-yellow sort of colouration. A very, very careful pour results in two fingers of very foamy head (a normal pour would have it overflowing out of the glass) that continues to grow for a few moments before shrinking a bit and settling to about a finger-and-a-half. A considerable amount of lacing is at times runny, but delicious looking nonetheless. This is a good looking beer.

The smell is full of a very sweet maltiness, though not much in the way of hops. Citrus fruits are quite apparant, along with nutmeg and cloves. A bit of wheatiness, bubblegum, yeasty notes and a bit of sour character. Floral, with a hint of alcohol (very well disguised for 9%). Perhaps the only off-note is a sort of metallic twang. As the beer warms, the aroma oddly seems to become harder to detect, which is very unusual with any beer, as warmth usually brings out MORE flavour.

Taste is also quite good, though it doesn't live up fully to the beautiful aroma. Sweet malts, again, a touch of indistinct hops, but largely dominated by the unusual flavours that make Belgians so appealing. Citrus fruits (especially lemon and curaco oranges), nutmeg, and cloves. Wheat notes, pepper, and a yeasty character, as well as the return of bubblegum. Some alcohol-warmth (duh), and the return of that one off-note - an almost bloody-metallic twang that sits a bit in the mouth. Sweet throughout, finish is slightly dry, but quite sweet on the finish. Almost no bitterness to be found. Very good tasting brew, but not something I would drink with any regularity, I must admit.

Mouthfeel is this beer's weak point. The light body isn't so bad - it's light, but definitely not watery - but this is a brew that's overcarbonated to extremes, almost macro levels. Drinkability, likewise, is average. I would *like* to have more than one of these, but often find myself barely able to finish a single bottle of the stuff; this is in part because of the high ABV, the heavy carbonation, and the occasionally cloying sweetness of the beer.

La Fin Du Monde is a great brew. It's certainly one of the best beers to come out of Canada, but realistically, it's not something that anyone could ever drink regularly. This is a special treat, a beer you keep in the fridge for a special occasion - graduation, the end of exams, finding a job. It's *not* for sipping in front of the television.

headlessparrot, Jul 21, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -12%

The consensus around here seems to be that Unibroue is the greatest brewery to come out of Canada. Some have even said it's the best brewery on the continent. With that motivation, I've tried several of their brews, each time being highly disappointed by the same unappealing [what I call] "clovey" flavor.

Here, now, I've reached what many consider the be all, end all of Unibroue: La Fin Du Monde. I have low expectations, so I can't be disappointed, and I have to give myself at least a little bit of credit for being willing to give them another shot despite past experience.

The only indication I found regarding the age of this bomber was a "best before" date of 03-14-09. I should be safe.

I gave this beer the royal treatment by pouring it into my favorite glass, a Stone IRS tulip glass. It poured a clear but very bubbly golden hue, but almost half of the glass was filled by a fluffy white head that settled to no less than half its original height, clinging to the sides of the glass.

I let it settle several feet away from me as I sat back on the couch and began to type, and I could still smell its powerful aromas. The initial and most powerful scent was sweet but hard to identify...not quite fruity, closer to floral, but almost like eucalyptus leaves. Mixed in with this was a bit of lemon and, just beneath the surface...uh oh...cloves. At this point, though, the cloves were not offensive.

Overall, a strong, pleasant aroma, but with no really compelling features.

Drumroll...

I took my first sip.

...and it was almost an entirely different experience from what I expected from the odors. Primarily malty, the sweetness turned to a sort of carob with a persistent but mild aftertaste. I could also feel the tingly burning sensation of clove (and maybe 2/3 of that 9% ABV), but it was not overpowering, at least not initally.

A swirl, another sniff, and another sip. Banana. More carob. A little burning at the finish, but again, not enough to scare me away.

If I were rating taste based on this beer vs. other Unibroue beers, I'd give it a 5. But since I'm rating to style and to my personal preferences, I'm giving it a 3.5. It's definitely drinkable, and I can't say I dislike it, but given the ever-growing number of beers I truly enjoy and the nearly infinite number of beers I've yet to try, I probably won't be laying down any more dough for this brew again any time soon.

instrumentality, Sep 16, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

We were a bit put off by Unibroue at one stage by all the sort of fruit and veg weird beers we sampled at a tasting. That was a pity because it delayed an appreciation of what this place can do. What can I say that hasn't already been said in these many and several notes?

The most impressive thing about this very impressive beverage (which can hold a candle to a Tripel Karmeliet any day) is the aroma: beautifully complex, with phenolic, medicinal organic components and yeast and fruity malt. You definitely want to inhale before imbibing. On the palate you travel from initial sweetness to lingering slightly bitter end-notes. The beer has a lot of carbonation: it expresses in lively fashion from the bottle and continues the bead in the glass, but feels quite soft on the palate.

AylwinForbes, Jun 03, 2008

spkissane, Jan 17, 2012

immobileman, Jun 21, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured into a chalice. Cloudy golden color with a thick white foam. Great carbonation going on in the glass.

Smell is almost a fruit cocktail with bananna. A little spicy, maybe clove. The aroma lets you know it's going to taste amazing.

Taste doesn't disappoint, more clove than the smell though. Otherwise it's somewhat dry and fruity. A little alcohol at the finish with some sweetness. Very enjoyable.

Lighter mouthfeel with lots of carbonation.

Overall a really great beer. Smell and taste are both very good. One of the best Tripels I've had.

Kbogac, Mar 05, 2012