La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros

bigbeerfan, Apr 15, 2012

Andrew4321, Apr 15, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -24.8%

GreyGhost4, Apr 15, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer reminds me in so many ways of a hefeweizen, from the unfiltered appearance to the smells to the taste. It doesn't have all the taste, but the initial body of the beer definitely reminds me of a wheaty/yeasty unfiltered.

There's a lot of subtleness to this brew though. Part of me wants to say there's a very subtle sourness around it (not a bad kind though), probably from the yeast. A bit of spicyness...a light fruity sweetness.

European beers always ring differently to my tastebuds. They always seem to have excellent balance and can easily flit between a subtle but bold body (how this one feels to me) and a complex but balanced beer (like say, Matilda, a Belgian strong).

This isn't a bad beer at all, but I don't really see it being the most addictive beer I'll ever have per se. You do get your money's worth though, and if you like tripels, I can see you liking this beer. If nothing else, La Fin Du Monde has me curious about the tripels now...

DM1293, Apr 14, 2012

amandab, Apr 13, 2012

BelgianDark86, Apr 12, 2012

futurecode, Apr 12, 2012
4.63/5  rDev +7.2%

This one I slowly came around to. My tastes had to grow and change for Fin Du Monde to completely bowl me over. I was a diehard stout/scotch/porter fan for years until a handful of notable Belgians (Trappist Rochefort, Delirium, etc) made me a true believer. I came back to this exquisite beer with an open mind, a wisened palate, and a sudden realization that it's one of the best examples of its kind, despite being from Montreal, Canada. Ah, Montreal. An incredible city, but it's still not in Belgium. Anyway, here's the math half:

Appearance: gorgeous. I always smile at those lightly hued brews which obscure vision as well as any pitch-black stout. Yellow orange haze which nothing penetrates.

Smell is delicate fruity subtle and direct. It's good

Tastes even better than the nose and looks implied, with a perfect tingle via carbonation and a sweet fruity body (for the most part) masking the alcohol entirely.

Mouthfeel is near-perfect as well with semi-sharp carbonation offsetting the lack of bite from the taste - this thing tickles the physical mouth at proper aggression level while soothing taste buds in a stealthily satisfiying way.

optimistictour, Apr 12, 2012

nrombes, Apr 12, 2012

Dark33, Apr 12, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one took me by surprise. Poured out of a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: beautifully hazy orange-yellow. Reminiscent of any great light belgian.

Smell: fruity, fantastic. Nothing more to say here...

Taste: What the heck?! This beer is nearly flawless. I can definitely taste the 9%, which is the only drawback I see for it. It's creamy, light, and dangerous.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated a little more than I would have liked. Still fantastic.

Just try this beer. Another hit from Unibroue, they are shaping up to be one of my favorite breweries.

alexipa, Apr 12, 2012