La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
View: Beers (36) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
grittybrews

Washington

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a rich golden orange into a Chimay chalice with a finger of long-lasting creamy white head. Lovely aroma of flowers, citrus, yeast, and banana.

High carbonation and an immediate burst of full flavor throughout the mouth, with prominent banana, yeast, green apple, and a hint of clove on the finish. Really delicious and fully flavored without being cloying (though it is quite sweet). The higher ABV is mostly present just upon tasting, giving this beer a pleasant dry champagne quality.

A wonderful Belgian and probably my favorite from Unibroue, though the robust flavor usually leaves me satisfied at just one.

05-13-2010 05:23:10 | More by grittybrews
phiberoptik

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%

Very nice find for us as we always want to try something new. Surprisingly we found this at our local Kroger store (major regional grocer).

Pours golden orange with a spongy/soapy head. Lighter than I expected, but no disappointment.

I can smell unknown spices, yeast, and some malts. I catch a nose full of alcohol also.

Tastes like a hodgepodge of spices, I didnt think of it when I was drinking it but after reading others' thoughts, I can see where the banana comes in. A lot of yeast in the flavor as well.

Definitely drinkable and we didnt think the spiciness was too much, although far different from the high hop beers that usually sit in our fridge.

Mouthfeel gives you a sting from the spice and a sting from the alcohol. Enjoyable but at the other end of the spectrum in regards to mouthfeel compared to a Wit or other low-carbonation beer.

For the price, we will enjoy this one again!

05-12-2010 13:00:05 | More by phiberoptik
gromis

3.38/5  rDev -21.8%

I got this after a recommendation from a friend.

This pours a nice gold color. Not too much head, but the carbonation lasts a long time.

Both the smell and taste are about what you would expect for a dopplebock.

A very solid dopplebock. Has more on the malt side than most.

05-12-2010 03:45:13 | More by gromis
liamt07

4.58/5  rDev +6%

Had this so many times, figured I'd post a review as I grab one to sip on after dinner. Poured from a 341ml bottle into my Duvel tulip.

Thin soapy head a couple fingers high that dissipated quickly to a beautiful thin and creamy looking layer, that remains with the beer. Hazy golden orange colour, just beautiful So much spice in the nose with some banana and cloves, almost hefe-like underneath the spices, a bit of yeast and some alcohol. Tastes similar, alcohol is there, very spicy (complex spicy!) and carbonated, and leaves some yeast lingering on the tongue after the fact. Love the way this tastes, but the lingering yeast taste does detract a bit and the spice might be overpowering in some instances. Great freakin' beer and one of my favourites. A definite go-to when I'm at the liquor store.

EDIT: 750ml bottle dated on Sept 21, 2009; enjoyed on July 31, 2011. Excellent retention, good lace. Gold colour; mildly cloudy. Effervescence is high and flavours are fairly transient on the palate. Ripe pear, light green apple and some tropical fruits appear and disappear rapidly. Sweet and fruity; alcohol hides behind the scenes. Good spicing. Still exceptional. 45 4 45 45 5

05-07-2010 03:28:43 | More by liamt07

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%

I have to say up front, that this has become my favorite beer. I totally agree with chad9976 about the spice taste. This is my first beer rating, and I am far from an expert on beer. But, subjective as taste is, I really enjoy this beer. It is spicy, it has a high ABV, which I like, but you cannot drink too many. The carbonation is quite high as well.

Drinkability is HIGH, but that ABV will bite you if you aren't careful.

Crisp, spicy, clean. EXCELLENT BEER that I would hightly recommend to anyone.

05-07-2010 01:06:41 | More by 1100
Daktyls

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Pours a hazy golden honey color with a 3 finger head which lingers for a while before leaving a fine lacing on the side of the glass.

S: Cloves and banana are most up front followed by light spiciness, maybe a little bit of pepper? After a few minutes the head has dissipated to a nice foam.

T: A slight amount of the banana aroma is also noticed in the taste. There is quite a bit of yeastiness and maltiness. A taste almost similar to that of a biscuit. The pepperiness is also tasted with some hops that are very lightly present on the finish.

M: Medium to high carbonation, very smooth feeling. Definitely feels fairly bready.

D: Very drinkable, the taste and mouthfeel leave one desiring another sip. With the high ABV, the drinkability will quickly catch up to you.

05-02-2010 23:37:52 | More by Daktyls
MrHall

4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml into a 10oz tulip

I don't know how many times I've had this but haven't reviewed it.

A: Fluffly white head that dissipates quickly into a sweet little ring. Clear, golden, honey colour.

Smell: Peppery, alcohol esters, cloves, faint hint of berries somewhere.

T: Lots of pepper clove and alcohol again. I agree with an earlier poster - I think I would have liked a bit more hops at the end to balance the alcohol - but what do I know?

M: A little too carbonated for me. It's almost champagne-like which is kind of unexpected.

D: It's delicious, but in the words of Dave Chapelle/Samuel L. Jackson - "This sh** will get you drunk". So be careful. But Enjoy!

Also - Unibroue beers and great value for such high quality. At least here in Ontario. At the beer store, six pack of the stuff are no more expensive than any other premium beers, and I believe the 750ml are 5.95 (?)

04-29-2010 23:17:33 | More by MrHall
damndirtyape

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

Single bottle (best by 07-14-12) poured into a Rochefort Goblet.

Appearance: Poured very slowly to keep the sediment out. The color is a hazy golden orange with a persistent white foam across the top of the glass. Some lacing noted. Plenty of bubbles coming up through the beer when held up to the light.

Smell: All sorts of smells - hard to place any of them. Earthy yeast, fruit, hints of alcohol, cooked pasta, maybe even a hint of animal (reminds me of my cat right now) deep in there. Not unappealing, but weird to me. I detected some hops early on when the beer was first poured, but it went away as it warmed up.

Taste: Equally complex (but tasty) in flavor compared to the smell. Hints of orange and raisin, along with some hops, bready/yeasty flavors, sweet flavors, and a citrus/bitter finish with some lingering aftertaste. Alcohol is not notable at all - hidden in all the other flavors. Quite nice.

Mouthfeel: Can a beer be fleeting in mouthfeel? Well, this one is. It's there with a hint of carbonation on the tongue and you knows it there, but after the swallow I swear it's completely gone. Like I never had it. Cleansing and crisp I think is the way to describe it. Wow - I've never had anything like this before.

Drinkability: For me this is an experience beer. Too strong and expensive to have all the time, but perfect with a meal (French ragout beans with couscous and goat cheese) and for savoring after the meal is done. Very nice overall.

04-25-2010 22:17:34 | More by damndirtyape
Naugros

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy, as a trippel should be, with a luscious, fluffy head that dissipates slowly, but is retained in a thin film. Color has a golden/orange glow.

The Belgian characteristics come through in the aroma. Get a full whiff as the Belgian hops and yeast play!

Most of the flavor hits the mid-tongue and the sides of the upper palate. This is one of the best representatives of the style I've come across, but I must admit to my limited experience. The bitterness of the hops dominate and the yeast strain adds the expected overtones from this style.

Very up front with it's flavors. The lingering aftertaste is not unpleasant and brings you back for another taste. It doesn't overwhelm with body or heaviness, but is nicely balanced and not at all "thin".

As mentioned above, this beer will leave you wanting another swig and the 9.0% ABV will shortly have you regretting that this beer is very drinkable.

If comparing with another North American brewed trippel (Golden Monkey or Merry Monks come to mind), then you're going to want to limit the sample size and be sure to share. Your tasting will surely end quickly as this beer brings you back for another glass time and again and will render you incapable of taking the simplest of notes.

04-25-2010 13:53:02 | More by Naugros
FeDUBBELFIST

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Bottle to oversized wine glass. Best before date 3/20/11.

A: Pours with a huge snow white head which has decent retention. Very fizzy with big bubbles. The body is lightly cloudy, light in color and somewhere in between yellow and golden orange. No lacing.

S & T: Lightly toasted grains of bread and straw. Average hop content, fragrant and floral. Yeast derived spiciness plus floral and fruity esters. Fruit flavors include white grape, apple and pear, ripe and fermented. Moderately sweet with a small hand of sneaking alcohol. Well endured finish.

M: Spot on. The sweetness manages to linger on until the bubbles scrape the tongue clean. Finishes dry. Carbonation is BIG, both lively and fizzy. The body is deceptively light.

D: La Fin Du Monde is the most solid offering from Unibroue's standard line up and was one of my original craft stand-bys. I remember marveling at the price ($7 for a bottle of beer?!?!), the ABV (Holy shit! This is like 2 drinks in one!) and how, after only two beers, I'd be walking crooked back to my apartment. Nowadays, after two, I just sit crooked in my house.

04-25-2010 13:06:31 | More by FeDUBBELFIST
bsp77

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Snifter.

Appearance: Hazy light orange with billowing head that quickly dissolves into a thin white layer.

Smell: Strong banana, some clove, citrus and peppery hops. Great semi-sweet fruity and spicy aroma overall.

Taste: Sweet banana and clove upfront, which then broadens to include slightly sour, almost wheat-like malts. Ends with a long lingering fruity and peppery finish. The cloves stay fairly prominent throughout.

Feel: Very effervescent, chewy body, with a dry finish. Slightly warming overall. Not a huge fan of the effervescent/chewy combination, although this improved a lot as the beer sat in the Snifter.

Drinkability: Very strong example of a Tripel, which I could certainly have many more times. However,the body slightly misses the mark for me, and I could have used a touch more hops and a touch less clove. These are minor gripes - simply explaining why this is not my favorite for the style.

04-22-2010 00:58:10 | More by bsp77
Chico1985

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

I've had this a few times, time for a review. 12 oz bottle christens my newly purchased tulip. Pours hazy light orange, TONS of carbonation in this thing...pour this one easy, the head builds up crazy fast. Fluffy pillow of white head stays at 2 fingers for a while, a cap covers it the whole time leaving good lacing. Lots of peppery yeast and light fruits in the nose. Apple, peach, a little grassy. Definitely let this sit for a few minutes before sipping or the carbonation will kill you. The peppery yeast and spice is very up-front in the taste which may turn some people off, but I like it. Many great flavors are there such as clove, green apple, banana. A bit of a medicinal feel which seems common in tripels I've had. There is a nice subtle sugary sweetness. Booze is a little hot at first but nearly disappears after some time. Great aftertaste. Mouthfeel is good, the extreme carbonation dies down after a few minutes. Like a good tripel, the alcohol is well-hidden. Very easy to drink, 12 oz is not enough, 750ml is a perfect amount for this. Good price for the quality. Excellent stuff, but I think Allagash Tripel remains my favorite for the style.

04-19-2010 21:52:04 | More by Chico1985
EbPhrygian

Connecticut

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

I had first tried La Fin Du Monde some months ago with a lovely pasta dinner and was thoroughly impressed. The following is an official review. Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a snifter (really need to acquire a proper tulip glass...)

Appearance: A beautiful light amber hue that gradates slightly at the edges (can't really see through it in the middle of the glass). Leaves a sizable just-off-white head and appears wonderfully effervescent. The head isn't terribly thick or pillowy, and doesn't stick around for all that long, but can easily be rejuvenated with a gentle swirling of the glass. The bubbles will just not go away, either. Here's a funny/interesting observation: this beer SOUNDS appealing, by which I mean the process of pouring and of swirling the beer produces a crackling sound similar to that of Rice Krispies when doused with milk.

Smell: Banana notes and a peppery spiciness, which have been mentioned by other reviewers, are certainly there, too. After tasting, it becomes clear that not all the complexities of the beer are present in the aroma.

Taste: Yeasty, biscuity, and sweet. Hop bitterness and malt character are subdued.

Mouthfeel: Pleasant carbonation mixed with sweet smoothness give this brew a high rating.

Drinkability: Could not be higher, really. This is a strong beer but does not taste that way. Still, this is not for chugging.

Notes: My first tripel was Victory's Golden Monkey, which I won't ever be buying again. This is because the combination of Unibroue's availability, price, and sheer quality (a reflection of exceptional craftsmanship) cannot be overstated, and are simply unbeatable. Though I know there are probably superior Belgian Tripels out there, I also know I won't be able to help measuring other examples against this outstanding specimen.

04-19-2010 21:37:01 | More by EbPhrygian
BabyBastard

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

750mL cork and caged, best by date of 9/17/12, poured into a chalice a pale, golden straw colour, white and thin foamy head that doesn't cling well to the sides. Never ending stream of bubbles rise from the etching. Great looking brew. Smells of bananas and a bit of alcohol. Seems to have a spicy nose to it, more complexities that I can't seem to filter out. Overall, a very pleasing scent comes with this brew. Taste is great. Has that hint of banana and clove, truly appetizing. A bit of alcohol warmth follows up, but is a bit difficult to detect, possibly making this brew a dangerous one. Triple fermentation process gives this a nice tingly feel on the palate, though it is ultra smooth on the way down. This could be the End of the World, if consumed unwisely. The drinkability on this one is unbelievably high, especially for an ale of this strength. Two bottles of this wouldn't seem unreasonable, until after you finished the second. Then you may wish the world was ending. But who knows about that, I've only consumed one bottle. My world seems to be fine right about now.

04-19-2010 02:54:03 | More by BabyBastard
skullsplitter

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

I was at Marty's yesterday and noticed this brew calling to me. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about....

I see it now.

Appearance: Golden, orange-like appearance. Holy Carbonation Batman! There was a surprisingly excellent head on this drink. Very soapy. It never actually dissipated.

Smell: Very fruity. Banana notes hit me right away as well as a light peppery smell.

Taste: Very fruity almost bubblegum-like. But the taste fit. You can taste the yeast and the peppery notes right away. It didn't taste as strong as I thought it would.

Mouthfeel: Pretty good. No complaints here. The sweetness of the brew kicked in here.

Drinkability: Very smooth. Almost too smooth for the alcohol content.

This is the first time I have ever had a Unibroue brew. I think I shall give there other selections a whirl.

04-18-2010 20:43:09 | More by skullsplitter
nelnutter

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Chimay goblet.

A: Great looking brew! Golden orange with a big foamy white head that doesn't want to ever go away, and leaves sticky lacing. Constant show of bubbles continues throughout which keeps a good amount of head in tact the entire time.

S: Very fruity, banana and orange; bubblegum; spicy and yeasty. Not a hefty alochol smell, considering.

T: Very consistent with the aroma; fruity and spicey. Mostly banana and citrus and spicy yeastiness. Very slight mild hop at the end, along with the alcohol coming through, but still doesn't hit like it's ABV would indicate.

M: Full-bodied, slightly chewy. The persistent bubbles that look so nice in this brew, kind of give it a bit too much in the carbonation department for me.

D: First Unibroue I've ever had, and this one had a lot of hype surrounding it; I'd have to say it lived up and I will gladly buy this again. Very tasty.

04-16-2010 22:45:38 | More by nelnutter
Bestuurder

Ontario (Canada)

This is hands down the best brew I have ever had! If I could create the same recipe and fermentation process, I am sure I would be a millionaire.

Poured from a 750mL bottle under compression with a cork topper into a tulip flared glass. The colouration is pale yellow and the head white, predominant throughout the enjoyment, which was light, fluffy and thick at the same time.

Aroma is fruity, mildly yeasty and citrus notes are apparent. Mild, and I mean mild hoppiness is present.

The taste is unparalleled! Wonderful characters of honey and of all things a sense of birch bark, wintergreen, dog grass, ginger, juniper, licorice, sarsaparilla, yucca and cherrita.

The palate is excited with the chewey feel of the brew and non-overpowering feel of the higher alcohol.

Very easy to drink, yet the alcohol can hit you, like a bottle of VQA chardonnay. But, this brew is exceptional to a connoisseur or the lay person. It truly is wonderful to enjoy a taste or a bottle.

Cheers!

04-16-2010 19:40:34 | More by Bestuurder
wolfinthemirror

Oklahoma

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a cloudy light yellow into a tulip glass, resembles lemonade in clarity and color. A nice lively, sparkling head hissing at me.
What can I really say about this, it looks very "high class". lots of fine bubbles traveling the sides and a constant jet like fountain of larger bubbles going up from the center. Very attractive looking beer.

The smell really blew me away. It's so alive and fragrant. I get a deep fruity focus, lighter fruits like tangerines and white grapes with a touch of floral qualities.

Taste wise this kind of reminds me of a sweeter, more highly carbonated American Pale Ale.this is very good. it hides the alcohol extremely well, but you still know you're drinking a beer.

It has a really champagne or sparkling wine feel to it for me. lighter bodied, kinda airy and effervescent.

This stuff really drinks like liquid candy, you hardly know you're even drinking anything over 6%.

I didn't know what to really expect with this one, as it is my introduction to the style, but I am blown away by it. Unbelievable beer.

04-16-2010 04:33:46 | More by wolfinthemirror
katan

Colorado

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

750 ml into a hotel glass

A - Pours a hazy orange like color. Off white head formation. Very bubbling, strong carbonation.

S - A very spicy, yeasty ale. Orange, coriander, white pepper. Lots of belgian wild yeast is present. Some phenolic tones.

T - Starts off lightly sweet, boatloads of 2-row and some small pilsner. MId-stream gets more spicy, somewhat dry. Finishes with a phenolic bite combined with some spicy yeast and peppery undertones. Huge alcohol warmth on the aftertaste.

M - Thick and creamy, but very driven by the carbonation. Stinging to the tongue at times. Leaves a sweet cling to the tongue.

D - Moderate to low drinkability. Alcohol is pretty zingy, but the surprisingly not filling at all - against the carbonation of the beer.

04-15-2010 23:10:52 | More by katan
crnipeter

Slovenia

3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

330 ml into the Karmeliet glass. BBE 02-11-12.

Pours peachy yellow-orange body. Tilts and swirls weave thick stable laces on the walls as the firm white head slowly recedes to form a solid cover.
The sniffing session reveals intense and complex aromas of citruses (mainly orange), banana and bubble gum - which is not surprising as wheat is one of the principal ingredients, clove, faint pepperiness, refined sugar and perceivable alcohol. The sweet malty body with clovey phenolic character embraces intense citrusy esters which whip the palate with bites of orange, alcohol clearly shows itself, bitter ending probably due to abundance of yeast derived phenolics. The medium body is crispy but this is somehow balanced by wheaty texture of the beer that tends to create dextrinous coatings on the lips. The alcohol is a bit overpowering and somehow not well incorporated into the whole thus reducing the drinkability. A good brew nevertheless.

04-14-2010 16:50:06 | More by crnipeter
Jesstyr

3.7/5  rDev -14.4%

Served a bottle of this at the great Pasta Nostra in Norwalk - not your typical beer joint, but they have some great ones to pair with italian food, including this one.

Cloudy yellow body with a massive foamy bright white head that starts large, but simmers to a manageable cm quickly. Excellent lacing. Slightly medicinal aroma, with citrus highlights - particularly lemon. Very yeasty.

A little spicy, but what I didn't enjoy the high amount of yeast in this one. Light fruit tones, and a slight bit of citrus, nothing big though. The light body made this different from most tripel's I enjoyed, but it was an overall enjoyable drink.

04-14-2010 14:28:12 | More by Jesstyr
racer2k

3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured into a tulip glass

A - Pours a hazy golden color that has a nice two finger head which settles down leaving a nice white coating on top of my glass. Lot's of carbonation going and a very nice lacing profile.

S - Aroma of peaches, pineapple, and spicy yeast and bread. There is also a hint of a peppery flavor that I pick up.

T - A sweet fruity and spicy first taste which smooths out and transitions to a dry and bitter finish. There is a distinct clover flavor in addition to some spicy hops on the back end. The 9% alcohol is extremely well hidden in this beer.

M - Full bodied beer with lots of carbonation on board. The foamy head remains a constant component of the beer throughout.

D - Very drinkable and smooth with very little alcohol warmth. This is dangerously drinkable and delicious. Very nice offering.

04-13-2010 22:12:48 | More by racer2k
bound4er

Wisconsin

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

From a 750 mL bottle with a 5-5-12 drink-by date.

A. Cloudy, amber to light orange appearance with nice fluffy white head. Spotty lacing.

S. Belgian style nose all over this one - yeasty charcoal, biscuit, mild citrus and clove. Really nice.

T. Similar taste profile to the nose - malts and mixed fruits upon entry and then some prickly hops and a lingering banana/yeastiness on the finish.

M. Medium bodied with good carbonation - feels quite nice across my entire palate.

D. This is an easy to drink beer that is very enjoyable. I love this style but one is enough for me.

La Fin Du Monde is the best non-Belgian Tripel I have had to date. My first Unibroue beer and one that I will buy again. Recommended.

04-11-2010 20:47:48 | More by bound4er
BeerNinja007

New Hampshire

Single 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. $2.59 at the Lebanon Health Food Store, Lebanon NH. Best before 04-23-12. Served luke-cold at maybe 55F.

A: Slightly hazy golden yellow brew with visibly rigorous carbonation. Head settles to a thick 1/4" mat of ivory.

S: Very fragrant. Yeast, honey, thick bready malt, green apple, cinnamon, clove. A mild aluminum odor makes me worried.

T: First impression: salty sweet. It has a mineral saltiness that makes me think of licking sweat off of my arm on a hot day. Very odd. I don't mean that to sound as bad as it does. Everything else is much like the nose, plus a little citrus and ginger. Complex. Finish is green apple, lemon, and honey.

M/D: Carbonation, sweetness, and thickness are all on the high end but balance each other nicely. End result is that it feels a bit foamy. Alcohol mildly apparent in the finish. Very drinkable.

04-10-2010 16:31:19 | More by BeerNinja007
mmva321

Missouri

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured into a goblet.

A: Pours a slight darker honey color. It's amber that swings a bit to the yellow side, and if you hold it up to the light it becomes translucent. The head is foamy, bubbly, white and disipates very fast and leaves no lacing, but I won't hold that against it.

S: (I think my nose is the most forgiving thing when I review beers. Hmmm...).?.? Anyway, a terrific mix of sweet malt and bready yeast, leaving the smell at the same time smooth but very earthy (what I reawwy wuv about twipels). The usual fruit players make their appearance as well: banana, apple and pear are most readily noticable. Bright and crisp.

T: Take a big gulp, and it's a bit too overwhelming. But, take it slow, a sip at a time, and the subtlties of the taste come through. I love the earthy yeast, but the fruits really make the beer special. The above fruits are there but also orange. The malts make it sweet and smooth, but there is a very crisp and hidden hoppy bitterness I wasn't expecting. Hops, malts and yeast working together at last for the greater good.

M: Very carbonated feel. It's just personal taste, but they went with the punchy feel to highlight the fruits and hops when I wish they had gone with a smoother feel to highlight the malts and yeast.

D: Well you can't drink it that fast, being a beer of bold, upfront flavors, but taken as a sipping beer, it's one you can just sit back and relax with.

04-10-2010 07:01:01 | More by mmva321