La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
daftafne

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%

The cork came off with a very lively pop. Poured into a tulip, the liquid was a cloudy dull orange with great effervescence. One finger of creamy head. Great nose, floral esters dominate. Ahhh this is the first beer I had from Unibroue and probably my first tripel (I first had it at least two years ago). I loved it then, and I love it now. Bitter floral hops taste great in the beginning of the flavor profile. These give way to a little pepper, coriander, mild sweet malts, and finishes with some nice bittering hops. Very creamy mouthfeel with the strong carbonation.

I don't know what everyone is so afraid of, the end of the world is delicious.

04-10-2009 00:37:05 | More by daftafne
nycwinter

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a chalice x2.

A= semi-cloudy golden yellow with a thick rocky white head and minimal lacing. There's a carbonation party goin' on.

S= lemony and spicy (pepper) with a lot of floral character.

T= same as the smell. The aftertase is nicely bitter. There is not an overpowering alchohol taste as I would have expected for 9.0 ABV. But I guess that's not very high anyway.

M= medium-light. As the carbonation dissapated it got a little solventy, but not objectionable.

Overall, pretty straight forward. Not the most complex belgian style I have had but nice and tasty none the less.

04-09-2009 03:17:04 | More by nycwinter
greg202stewart

Rhode Island

4.63/5  rDev +7.2%

One of the first beers that introduced me to the Belgian style. It is one of the best looking beers in the glass, with a bright yellowish orange color and a nice thick head on top. It smells potently of orange, yeast and spices. It has a sharp bite to it which is cooled by the flavors of the beer. Although I have branched out to other true Belgians, this is one of my favorite beers and I can't help but keep it in my regular rotation at the bar.

04-07-2009 17:30:46 | More by greg202stewart
Birdiebeagle

Bottle Pours a golden orange with a fluffy white head which leaves a good lacing. Aroma is spicy yeast and fruits. Has a good mouthfeel and good carbination. Has a smooth taste well blended and not strong. A decent aftertaste. Overall a very good beer

04-07-2009 12:28:08 | More by Birdiebeagle
MDekker

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

A: Poured out of a 12oz bottle into an old, clean canning jar with a handle. My nicer goblet-like pieces of glassware just don't have the volume to cope with the head of a tripel, so it had to be the jar, which seemed preferable over a pint glass. Despite that, the head was overwhelming. I had to repour a couple times to get it all in. Eventually the head faded to just a coating on the top. It's a hazy light orange color. I'm a little disappointed in the chaos of the head, but it looks nice.

S: A combination of sour lemon and dry, straw and hay aromas. Yeasty too.

T: First impressions: booze and sugary, ripened fruit. Much more potent and rich than the color and smell indicated. For the highest rated tripel on BA I was initially disappointed, but things are improving now. Grainy elements too, and a subtle finish to balance the initial punch of flavor. Man, it keeps growing on me, and I'm going to give it a 5 here.

M: Very creamy and impressive. The seemingly abundant carbonation is actually quite good in terms of feel. A little bit oily.

D: Well, the richness of it will keep me from putting down multiples of these, but it keeps pulling me back as I drink it. A really fine brew.

04-06-2009 01:26:39 | More by MDekker
drtth

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

Chilled and decanted into a Duvel glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: Pours a light, slightly cloudy golden color with a 1" thick creamy white head. Sipping leaves sheets of fine lacing on the sides of the glass

Smell: Light aroma of sweet citrus fruits, flowers, and a faint spiciness with a hint of the alcohol.

Taste: Smooth and complex with hints of orange of lemon and spice. There is the light sweet flavor of malt combined with orange zest and clove but the operative word is "subtle" or "integrated." The alcohol is detectable but not harsh.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with lots of smooth creamy carbonation. The finish is long and dry.

Drinkability: This beer outclasses most if not all of the competition and is on my "return to again and again" list. The drinkability is excellent. The beer tastes as fresh and complex at the end as at the beginning and could be a great session beer but for the high ABV. It is too good for my own good.

04-05-2009 10:21:37 | More by drtth
jdhilt

New Hampshire

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%

An excellent beer from Unibroue, cloudy amber color, not a lot of nose but good carbonation and frothy head that leaves a good lace. Higher ABV is hidden. Flavor is sweet citrus and yeast, smooth. $5.79 for a caged and corked 750ml bottle from Concord Cooperative Market Concord, NH.

04-04-2009 22:35:57 | More by jdhilt
skinny0ne

A wonderful cloudy orange glow emanates. It has a perfect citrus and bready aroma. The carbonation attacks the mouth which gives it a bit of spice. But plenty of orange, grapefruit, and yeasty baked bread permeate the flavor. It finishes clean. Really, one of the best brews ever crafted.

04-04-2009 01:00:33 | More by skinny0ne
DwnTwnBwn

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

A - Cloudy 2 Finger head, laced well.

S - Amazing. Orange peal and cloves, bread, and banana.

T - Citrus balanced and complimented the sweet bread taste.

M - Very smooth and light. Perfect carbonation.

O - La Fin du Monde is a go to for Triple. Top Notch.

04-03-2009 17:13:21 | More by DwnTwnBwn
merryjoulton

Arkansas

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured a very light golden color. I must not know how to pour bottle conditioned ales because this is the second foamer I have opened this week. With the gentlest pour possible I ended up with a glass 50% full of foam. Smell was very spicy with a hint of vanilla. Tasted sour and spicy, not one hint of ethanol. Mouthfeel was good, lingering aftertaste of sweetness. Great beer!

04-03-2009 07:36:39 | More by merryjoulton
stingrayvr6

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

Had at Marathon Grill in Philly. Poured a hazy golden amber with a frothy white head that dissipated quickly. Smelled of sweet oranges and biting lemons, as well very complex spices. Tasted as it smelled with predominantly orange flavor, quite sweet with mild carbonation, and others sweet citrus notes. The taste then turned to a pleasant spice which balanced out an otherwise sweet finish. Like Weyerbacher's Merry Monks but much better, much less overpowering. Absolutely fantastic beer, my favorite Tripel.

04-01-2009 02:26:44 | More by stingrayvr6
WoogityBoogity

4.88/5  rDev +13%

12oz bottle, foil covered twist-cap.

A: Pours a golden haze with thick white head that takes a while to dissipate. Sticky lace remains on glass after consumed. Lots of visible carbonation.

S: Lots of yeast, cider, wheat, and some spices.

T: Beyond words on the taste. Maybe a peppercorn spice with cloves, possibly bannana and other citrus. Loads of balanced spices, with a hint of hops and slight sour taste that's soothed by malty sucrose.

M: Lots of malt and carbonation. No bad taste from 9% ABV.

D: 4.5/5

Normally I don't review beers, but I thought Unibroue just did exceptional with this beer. Will be at the top of my list for a long time.

03-31-2009 03:45:10 | More by WoogityBoogity
cheapxceptbeer

4.97/5  rDev +15%

A- Sizeable two finger foam that turns to nothing quickly, hazy pale color that looks like other similar beers

S- I mean this smells like a woman should, it is beautiful like fresh baked bread, banana, clove, all sorts of spices but especially pepper. You just want to shove this up your nose and smell it all day.

T- This beer is so delicious, talking about flavors almost seems ridiculous. This is an adult beverage in more ways than one. It is one of the few beers that tastes identical to its smell. Definitely an acquired taste (I would make another immature comment, but that would be in poor taste) as I didn't like it when I first went to Canada.

M- Lighter than you would expect, it is not syrupy, however this is no lightweight, gives you a full mouthfeel while you are drinking it, and has a novelty effect if you leave it on your tongue for a few seconds (feels like pop rocks on your tongue)

D- You will feel the 9%, but you won't taste it, or feel it in your stomach. If you want a legal high this is the way to go, drinking a pitcher of this at a hookah bar was stronger than anything else I have ingested in the last year.

From what I have had so far this is my favorite belgium style brew, I have had only a few tripels, however from what I have tasted I can not imagine a more flavorful 9% beer that hides the alcohol flavors so well.

03-31-2009 01:01:49 | More by cheapxceptbeer
jizdepski

Louisiana

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

i love the unibroue brewery, every time i try one of their beers i declare it my favorite, until i try the next one that makes me reconsider. this tripel pours a very nice golden color, with snow-white head and good carbonation...looks like duvel to me. smells are spicy, citrusy, and a little hoppy. tastes great, floral hops, some citrus, hints of clove, and a nice, crisp and spicy finish. an interesting spicy taste makes an appearance, almost like cracked peppercorns, but not at5 all overwhelming. almost no alcohol flavor in this one, despite its powerful 9% presence. has a nice medium to thick body, and the lacy head stayed to the end. absolutely delicious brew. very drinkable, i had one, but could easily have drank a couple more with pleasure and without difficulty. i believe a more apt name woud be "la fin du concurrence" (end of competition) because its really that good.

03-29-2009 23:10:08 | More by jizdepski
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%

Served with the manufacturer's La Fin du Monde tulip glass at the Algonquin Barley House. I poured it.

A - Cloudy light amber with a HUGE head that slowly resided to one finger but leaving some serious lacing the whole way down.

S - There was a lot going on here. I think I'll need to update this one when I have it at home but at the time I was getting Yeast, bread, clay notes, some spice hints too.

T - Citrus splash finished this beer and complimented the yeast and rich malty sweet flavors. Very tasty.

M - Smooth and rich describe the mouthfeel of this triple fermented beer.

D - La Fin du Monde is one very drinkable beer that's at 9% to boot!

Like I said, I had a few distractions so I'd love to re-review this beer to get a more concice smell and flavor profile from it.

03-29-2009 15:45:04 | More by BeerFMAndy
brianlg

3.68/5  rDev -14.8%

12oz. bottle dated October 2004. La Fin Du Monde poured a yellow/gold color with a large 3 finger head. It smells bread like, citrusy and of nuts. Not a bad smell at all. However, the taste i where the beer went down hill. It tasted very much like Duvel, but a cheap, less appealing Duvel. It tasted like nuts, and I kept getting the taste of a cork.. strange. It's kind of bitter, but not too bad. You can definitely taste the citrus as well, but I can't get the cork out of my mind. Not very pleasing, not bad, but not good. Mouthfeel is fine and smooth. Drinkable? Eh yeah, for a while. It took me a while to finish the whole glass, but it went down. My bottle was obviously pretty old, so I'd like to try a fresh one and see how my opinion differs.

03-29-2009 07:00:46 | More by brianlg
Kromes

Georgia

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a cloudy light orange with a head the died quickly. Had a yeasty spicy aroma like most belgians. And was highly carbonated. Taste was very good at first, lots of yeast spice coriander citrusy flavors that gave way to a strong alcohol finish. There was a slightly sour taste at the finish also. This one was just ok at first, but it gets way better the more you drink and your tastebuds get used to it. It packs quite a kick.

03-28-2009 19:04:05 | More by Kromes
ballenc

3.55/5  rDev -17.8%

Given my love of Belgian-style beers and the high ratings, I was eager to try this brew.

Pour from a 750 ml bottle into an oversized wine glass.

A - Pours a clear, golden straw color with lots of effervescent bubbles. A thin yet rocky head that quickly dissipates leaving nothing - no lacing. However the strong head returns with a few quick swirls.

S - Mainly a bready yeast with some sweet candy malts. Hints of lemon and a bit of clove and spice. To me, this is the best part of the beer.

T - Based on the aroma of the beer, the taste was a bit disappointing. Mainly a bittersweet spiciness. Overall sour notes.

M: Another disappointment as it was much thinner than other tripels I've tried. Moderate carbonation.

D: Considering the high ABV and my high expectations of this brew, it is drinkable for this style. I will try other beers from Unibroue and see if their other styles hit the mark for me.

03-28-2009 15:56:53 | More by ballenc
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%

Bottle into Chalice.

Pours a cloudy gold with a 1 finger, pillowy white head that dissipates fairly quickly.

Aroma is spicy yeast and ripe apricots and peaches.

Flavor starts out with a light candy sweetness, then hits big with overripe golden fruits (apricot, peach, pear) and a notable spiciness from both the yeast and (less so) from the alcohol. Finish is ripe fruits, yeast spice, alcohol, slightly astringent.

Carbonation is quite crisp at the beginning, providing an interesting dryness, but the beer still pulls off a creamy finish. Interesting flavor development in this beer - starts off light before exploding, matching the mouthfeel in development. An interesting take, excellent beer.

03-27-2009 13:13:58 | More by JohnQVegas
jonziefle

4.58/5  rDev +6%

Appearance: Poured a slightly cloudy golden amber. With an aggressive pour, a three finger white head, bubbly/foamy in composition. Visible carbonation. Good retention; the head really sticks around.

Smell: Complex nose with honey malts and Belgian yeast, with many different spices (cloves and ginger?). Also a good amount of citrus and even banana. Very well rounded.

Taste: The taste follows the smell very nicely. Spicy citrus notes are sweet and smooth, with a wheatlike character. The same spices, cloves and ginger, taste just as good as they smell. A little bit of hoppy bitteness at the end. The alcohol (9%) is well hidden and almost undectable.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium-bodied, very smooth and crisp. It has a creamy texture and slightly sticky, leaving behind as those wonderful spices. The carbonation makes it slightly filling though.

Drinkability: An excellent beer and a great example of the style. A sipper, definitely, but the most enjoyable kind. The complex interactions between the fruit flavors and the spices never get old. However, while the 9% alcohol is well hidden, it defintiely will sneak up on you.

03-27-2009 01:52:58 | More by jonziefle
IMincedTheKing

3.4/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours a hazy golden brown with a thin head that recedes moderately fast. Lace is almost absent.

An earthy, cidery aroma jumps out of the glass. It's all apples and yeast, and I think it's too much.

The brew greets you with sweet apples, pears, and bananas, then finishes slightly bitter with malts and some alcohol. I don't want to knock it too much for this, but it's way tastes way too much like apple cider for me. It's syrupy and thick with a snappy carbonation, and the combination of the taste and the mouthfeel are not quite cloying.

I couldn't drink too many both because it's filling and the cider flavor is definitely not to my taste--I can see why this is so highly rated, though, so I would recommend giving it a shot.

03-25-2009 20:43:05 | More by IMincedTheKing
unclejimbay

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

La Fin Du Monde
Tasted/reviewed @ DBA bottle>Chimay goblet, NOLA - 3/20/09 (afternoon)
I also had this @ the Bull Dog in Nawlins on 3/19/09 and used these notes also.
A 4.5 - Good head, great lacing reduces to nice collar. Golden honey in color.
S 4.5 - Sweet and mild spices. Ginger and clove notes. Clove notes are a solid aroma of this brew.
T 5.0 - Tastes follow smell, on wheat like malt base. Mild but sweet and clove-y. Clove is very present in taste. This tripel is a fine example at the Belgian skill to stealth the 9% ABV! Well hidden my neighboring Canadians!
MF 4.5 - Medium body, medium carbonation
D 5.0 - Dee-lish! I have been waiting for an opportunity to try this Tripel and it lived up to my expectations. It was excellent!

03-25-2009 18:48:18 | More by unclejimbay
Wackyfoot

Oregon

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

750 ml bottle that somehow was available for purchase in my uber religious hometown. Nice golden pour with a huge white head and a nice big amount of lacing left behind. Fruity smell with a big flavor of bubblegum and fruit with some wheat thrown in as well. Tasty little ale, would definitely drink again. This was the beer I chose to ring in the new year with, hope the name is no indicator of what will happen in 09!

03-25-2009 07:24:59 | More by Wackyfoot
callmescraps

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

It's been awhile, so it's time to revisit this well regarded tripel.

Appearance - A light orangish-gold color. A little head that quickly gets out of the way. However, a nice ring hangs around. It's a good looking beer. A little cloudy. It's nice, but not spectacular. The Levud's I had last night seemed to glow, and for some reason this one just doesn't quite do that.

Smell - It definitely has that tart green apple smell. With some sweet candy as well. Also, a hint of citrus, and some spice. Definitely some yeast as well. I'd describe it as a spiced apple bread. If that makes any sense. It's pleasant, but perhaps a little subtle.

Taste - Definitely tart apples. It also warms as it goes down, nicely. You can taste the yeast as well, but not as much spice as I might prefer. It's a nice taste, but maybe not as complex as I might want. It's good though.

Mouthfeel - Really excellent. It has some excellent carbonation that I just love. Very crisp on the tongue. Just awesome.

Drinkability - For a pretty big beer, the booze is well hidden. However, the carbonation makes a little gassy. Too many of these and I'd feel downright bloated.

This is a very good beer. Not as complex as some tripels, but very well done overall. It's nice and crisp, and certainly sweet, but I was hoping for some funkiness to go with it all.

03-25-2009 01:27:44 | More by callmescraps
dEM1972

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Has a wonderful aroma the combines malty, fruity and honey tones; light, cloudy amber in colour with a fluffy head; smooth, malty and complex flavours do not carry any hint of its strength, just a subtle combination of spicy infusions with an effervescent texture; subtly spicy after taste.

03-24-2009 19:50:16 | More by dEM1972