La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured into tulip.

A: White head descends rapidly to a tiny island in the middle of a honey-golden slightly murky body.
S: Wet wool, new leather, grass. Wet concrete.
T: Active carbonation brings out malts and sugars under a tangy yeasty bite. Funk/caramel ratio makes this a winner.
M: Well carbonated despite the anemic head. Helps bring forth a lot of flavor.
D: For such a high ABV these are easy to quaff, so I would say yes on the drinkability and yes on the watch out.

3.88/5  rDev -10.2%

La Fin Du Monde (The End of the World in English)
Triple-style Golden Ale (from Brewer's page)
19 IBUs
12 oz bottle with a freshness date of March 30, 2013 poured into a tulip on October 1, 2010. Since their sommelier recommends an age of 3-5 years, and adds that it peaks at 3 years of age, I would guess that this is around its best at two and a half years! The pour was as instructed by the sommelier: the bottle was agitated to dissolve the yeast. Yet, I poured a little separately at first to examine the clarity.

Appearance 4/5
Pours golden amber with a big creamy head. Although the beer is clear unagitated, the recommended pour causes an obvious haze. The head is quick to recede and in that respect, the looks are not as impressive as similar beers, say Westmalle Tripel. The lacing is quite good though, but I must say that the head was disappointing.

Aroma 4.5/5
Aroma is fruity, and dare I say, perfumy? Very soft and enticing, with a touch of spice. No hint of booze. But it's a little too weak. A few swirls release a toasty malt aroma time to time.

Taste 3.5/5
Slightly malty sweet, with mild fruitiness and slight bitterness. Finish is clean and slightly bittering which is a surprise considering the low IBUs. The aftertaste is long with a malty creaminess but not sweet or cloying. Some alcohol warming.

Mouthfeel 4/5
The body is medium but the effervescence of the style is missing.

Drinkability 4/5
I expect more in other departments. Yet, the 9% is not noticeable at all! Amazingly done!

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Notes from 8/28/10

Thank you BuckyFresh for sharing this with TCHopCraver and I.

Pours a hazy golden yellow with a pleasant white foam head, the lacing is outstanding.

Apple, clove, banana, and a sour lemon smell radiate from the glass. There is also some yeast, black pepper, and pear. This is very fresh smelling and well balanced.

The yeast is forward in the taste which transitions to apple, lemon, and orange. The spicy-ness that was in the nose is very understated in the taste. There is a yeasty hop aftertaste. Overall, I thought the flavor would have more of a bite as evidence of the smell. The flavors seem a bit muted.

The mouthfeel is light with a good coating of the tongue. This soon fades to some drying with a clean aftertaste.

This is an easy drinker for %9 as the alcohol is well hidden. This is a good summer ale.

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

I am a big fan of Tripels, but this is an amazing beer. Served a bit below room temperature.

A - golden yellow color with about a half an inch of head.
S - smelled delicious with a hint of citrus
T - unbelievable, absolutely amazing taste. Strong, but not over-bearing with a taste that was foreshadowed by its smell, and a malt finish upon swallowing.
M - Very smooth, not too much carbonation, but enough.

I would drown myself in this beer. I could see myself skipping a meal and just drinking as many of these as I could.

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed with TCGoalie and TCHopCraver. Split the 750ml bottle three ways.

Appearance: Poured into a large wine glass. Looks like sunshine pouring out of the bottle. A white, frothy, one-finger head results from the pour. Good retention and lacing as well. Surprisingly opaque given the light straw color. Decent carbonation agitates the yeasty buddies floating at the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Funky lemons and sour bananas are what greet those who sniff this brew. Fresh fruit and clove are there as well, with a decent amount of pepper spicing things up. I'm also detecting a mineral-like quality as well. This beer's aroma would make a nice glade plug-in.

Taste: Light-bodied and sunshiny. Lemon and yeast with a nice fruit flavor. There is also somewhat of a grassy/hay character present. Not a ton of complexity in the flavor department, but the flavors that are there are well-balanced and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Light/medium-bodied. Finishes pretty clean, but there is a bit of hotness from the ABV.

Drinkability: This beer seemed to evolve a bit throughout the drinking experience. The brightness seemed to decrease over time and the pepper flavor seemed to become more pronounced. Gave me pretty bad heartburn towards the end too.

A: thick golden ale with a little head.
S: light fruity, some spices in there.
T: good belgian triple flavor, but doesnt linger, cant taste the booz.
M/D: Good feel, a little over carbonated, pretty easy to drink, could easily drink a couple of them.

4.88/5  rDev +13%

appearance: pours cloudy golden amber with a small head.

smell: a complex aroma of fruits, bread and, spices. Banana really stands out.

taste: floral fruity elements are noticed imediately with lingering spice.

mouthfeel: very smooth and dry.

drinkability: I could drink this beer all night but at 9% abv that may be a bad idea.

2.88/5  rDev -33.3%

Appearance: Golden yellow with a small head.
Smell: Musty wheat
Taste: Strong flavors of wheat and yeast, overpowering the subtle backdrop of pepper and lemon.
Mouthfeel: Very smooth.
Drinkability: Low due to the lack of complexity.

At the end of the day I'd rather just be drinking a garden-variety amber or sour. Not sure what this beer brings to the table, honestly.

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

Appearance: Golden straw color with tons of pure white head. Retention is very nice, and the resulting lacing is tight and abundant.

Smell: This beer smells of grass, cloves, slight citrus, and phenolic alcohol. There is a slight smell of pepper, but a sugary sweetness that is more prevalent that I was not expecting. It seems a bit out of place compared to other tripels that I've had.

Taste: Slight pepper at the front, but once again there is a pretty strong lemony sweetness that takes over a bit. Grass as cloves as well, and I can definitely detect the alcohol going down.

Mouthfeel: Pretty smooth, with light body. There is quite a bit of carbonation, but that's to be expected.

Drinkability: Overall I liked this beer a lot. The sweetness kind of threw me a bit, but other than that no complaints. Definitely worth a try and another solid effort by Unibroue.

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

Reviewed from notes on 8/28/10 with BuckyFresh and TCGoalie. Thanks for the bottle, Bucky!

A: Pours a light gold with a pure white, 1 finger head into a snifter. The carbonation and color combine to give this beer a highly effervescent and glittery look. The lacing is good and reminds me of spindly tree limbs.

S: A cornucopia of fruits and spices reside in the smell of this beer. Lots of spicy Belgian yeast, lemon, lemongrass, prickly pear, pepper, golden delicious apples, clove, mineral water, and numerous other aromas waft out of the glass. This smell is fresh, fresh, fresh, and sings of a golden, dewy spring morning. Warning: Do not suck this beer into your nostrils. It feels very uncomfortable.

T: The dominant taste in my mouth is lemon. This is backed by grassiness and a peppery zing. Spicy yeast and fresh pear also grace my palate. This is a very bright and shiny taste which wears on my palate a bit as time slip slides away. In all, though, it is pretty well balanced with a nice emphasis on the spicy yeast.

M: Nicely clean and tingly on my mouth. However, it was a little thin and watery for the style and quite bright on my palate.

D: The bomber split three ways was probably enough for me. I enjoyed it very much but the brightness and faux sweetness of the taste was pretty wearing on my palate. This will be a once in awhile treat for me.

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pale yellow, very hazy, a small white head on top.

S: Sweet, bready, and hints of banana. A hint of clove, and some yeasty notes.

T: A nice sweet tartness, ripe fruits and berries; especially strawberry. A hint of citrus and clove in the finish, with yeast rounding it out. The tartness fades a bit as it gets warmer. The booze is well hidden.

M: Light bodied, dry, and very highly carbonated.

D: Another dangerous brew.. very tasty! I would definitely have this one again.

Bottle pours cloudy dark golden color with white head. Aroma is yeast. Has a medium light mouthfeel with a lot of carbonation. Flavor is yeast. Not as strong as some of the other brews by this brewer. But it just dominates all their brews. That dark strong yeast aroma and taste is just too much for me.

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance:
This beer poured a light yellow amber with good head formation and great retention. Highly carbonated and...who doesn't love a French labeled pint with a cork you get to pop off at your roommates?? In a tulip glass it has decent lacing and looks like a honey amber or a liver failure yellow.

Smell:
Smells light and aromatic, hint of citrus and hint of the 9%abv. Cherries, tangerine, orange citrus, and a hint of yeast. The beer, by appearance and smell, seems balanced and inviting.

Taste (warmed from cool to RT):
This is definitely a much lighter triple, very refreshing and something I did not expect from an area as cold and dark as Canada (no offense, but I'm geographically related to Que & can joke like that). I am almost reminded of a summer wheat, yet it still holds on to the basic essentials of a Belgian style triple. This beer is buttery smooth and has a lingering citrus/champagne linger. The taste is followed by sweet honey and distinctive yeast. Very scrumptious.

Mouthfeel:
The carbonation is heavy, possibly too heavy, but distinctive of the style. I wouldn't be happy with a Triple that didn't rocket the cap into outer space and follow every gulp with bubbles lifting you off your seat. Therefore I hail politely. The mouth has no complaints about the upfront sweetness or the slightly bitter finish. Like I said, similar to the feel of a summer ale.

Drinkability:
I split this pint with one other person and already wouldn't mind getting out a hose and siphoning it from within their gastric system just to grab one more sip. It almost didn't last this review. It has such nice flavors and such a light composure. I will remember this beer and compare other beers to its drinkability.

Cheers.

Well it *smells* how I remember: Apple spritz, clove and Belgian yeast. It's easy to forget how much I like this cold, to treat every beer like it is a barrel aged imperial stout - a critical error in my opinion.

General Pear makes his appearance along with more tropical fruit on the pour, revealing a cloudy lustrous bronze nectar. This beer has a great mellow funk, nice and woody, deep earth tones beneath the fruit, mud and frost.

Tastes like that too. (Is this a cop-out?) Okay, the floral flavors really come through, making this a rather sweet Tripel on the wetter side of dry. The finish is wet and juicy.

I prefer a drier Tripel with less clove, more oak and sour fruit, and a foamier mouthfeel. Regardless, this is top notch, a huge value, and perhaps the only continental Tripel to get it right (that I can afford anyway... ahem *ALLAGA$H*).

At a grocery store this would often beat out a 6er at $7.99. For a Tripel craving I would have to seek out that bastard Westmalle.

4.58/5  rDev +6%

A- Banana gold with medium carbonation.

S- Like a Tripel should smell. Spices up front with a bit of sweet fruity smell. Tons of things to pick up on.

T- Banana, cloves, spices, belgian yeast, slight hops, notes of apple, pear, a tad of malt, and some very subtle hints of the alcohol in the aftertaste. Hides the ABV extremely well.

As it warms up the alcohol strengthens slightly and the fruit tastes become more vivid, leaving you with a very nice aftertase. I think it hits it's best as it begins to warm up a bit.

M- Fairly full body and very smooth. The carbonation fits the bill and compliments the body very well.

D- One of the easiest 9%'s to drink that I've discovered. I could see myself downing the whole 750ml beast very quickly if not for self control.

I bought four of these after I tasted my first in this review, and I plan to get 4 more. I'd dare to say this is my favorite readily available beer.

3.95/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a beautiful cloudy white-yellow with bubbly lacing on the sides and a spiraly island of undying foam.

Smell of sweet, ripe fruits. Apple, pear, sweet bread, lemon tart & belgian spices. Lots of flavors! Love it!

Tangy and sweet, flavors of the nose coming through, but much more delicately, this beer is all about the subtleties. I've confirmed that this beer has changed in taste compared to when I used to drink it plentifully years ago. I get an off-putting strong metallic pang that comes through in the aftertaste. Yucky.
This used to be one of my favorite beers so I'll continue to experiment with this one and note its status. It really is a shame.

Dry and sweet, rich and carbonated mouthfeel.

This one, I could drink a lot of...

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

A few of my beer-geek friends were sitting around drinking beer (of course), and talking about some of our favorites. The question came up about which beer we choose if we could only have one beer for the rest of our lives. Being a malt-fiend, I chose some huge dark beer like St. Bernardus Abt. 12, but three folks--without hearing each other--independently came up with La Fin du Monde from Canadian brewer Unibroue. I thought that was an odd response, but I had one for the first time since that conversation--in Montreal with a giant plate of poutine, no less--and I get why they picked it.

La Fin du Monde is officially a "triple fermentation Golden Ale." Like the best Belgian tripels, it's a strong pale ale that perfectly blends malt and hops. It's a big beer at 9% alc./vol., but not overpowering. It flavorful but not too spicy. It's certainly not the very best beer in the world, but it would be hard to find one that better incorporates all the best things about beer. "This beer is brewed to honour of the great explorers, who believed they had reached the end of the world when they discovered America," Unibroue says on their website. One could argue that after La Fin du Monde, there's less of a need to keep searching for that desert island beer.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter

A: Golden hue with a 1 finger white fizzy head. Lots of visible carbonation

S: Wheat, belgian yeast, spice and candied sugar

T: Belgian yeast, some tropical fruit (mostly banana). Spice, sugar. Kinda like a hefeweizen but not as dry or clovey. Slightly sweet, dry finish

M: Medium bodied. Crisp, clean and dry. There is a lingering sweetness. Nicely carbonated

D: Very easy to drink, no real indication that this is 9%. Definitely a regular go to beer for me

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

Orange-hay pour, very hazy, nice small, creamy head. Initial fruity aromas, tropical fruit, pineapples, pretty yeasty. Really nice, creamy on the palate, a lot of fruits, with a soft, gentle washing effect that I can't describe. Some sweet banana bread plays with the mangoes, peaches, and spices. Very nice, and one of the best, most accessible tripels out there.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

very nice darkish peachy hue to this beer. nice medium head of foam that quickly collapses upon itself to a fine layer. nice fruity smell mixed with a smidgen of hoppyness. very crisp fruity flavors, very tropical tasting to me. goes down the hatch with ease with a tiny bite of hops toward the end. this is a perfect summer beer for me

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Upon opening this 750ml bottle a nice pop, on the pour a huge head and no beer in the glass. This fades to a nice small cap. Lots of carbonation. Huge smell of banana and cloves. Tastes of pear, banana, some bread and clove. Quite sweet that transitions to a medium dry finish. Just a hint of hotness once it warms up. Quite drinkable for this abv. Overall a nice beer during dinner with some fish.

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

It is a cloudy yellowish beer with a lot of foamy white head. Smell was attractive but it did not hint at how good it really tasted. It was extremely drinkable for a beer at 9% ABV. You could barely even detect the alcohol. It has a crisp fruity taste where I picked up some citrus, maybe a hint of banana, and a great hops after taste that wasn't too overbearing.
This is defiantly a great beer that I could drink a bunch more of. It is also the first Tripel I have tried so I am excited to try more and see how they compare.

4.45/5  rDev +3%

Pours a cloudy golden color.
Nice thick white head. Slight fruity aroma. Easy drinker. Clove and corriander taste, Belgian yeast taste. Some citrus and bananna. Alcohol not evident. This one really goes down easy and is one of my all time favorites.

3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

Note I had this many times, and for some reason this bottle, just was not as good as my memory thinks it was. maybe something changed???/

A: Yellow gold in color, did not have much head as it was too cold on the pour into a triple glass. Some lacing if you swirl the glass, it goes away fast. Body is clear, no yeast floaters

S:I get some banana, pears and apples. I get lots of Belgian yeast as it warms past 49F. Some malt and some alcohol.

T: Slightly gritty, slick and oily, with lots of sugar sweetness, and malt. Lots of alcohol in this as it got warm, quite nice and to style.
orange, banana, and apple are the main flavors. no hops bitterness at all.

M: low carbonation in this 330ml bottle, actually is a tad thin for the style, finish was a tad astringent.

D: its ok nothing to crow about I think the 750ml is better.

Ok it is and was Tripel day, until the wife surprised me for my BD with a hidden 6 pack gem of Westvleteren Blond, 8, 12

geez any way its a good tripel not world class but decent, nothing beats a westmalle triple.

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

Not suprised to see this at the top of the Tripel list, Definetly my favorite of the style!
Medium to deep gold with some yeasty haze happening,two finger head looked stellar but faded out fairly quickly.
Smelled a little bready with some spices going on,touch of skunk with fruity action as well!
Very sweet in flavor up front with a touch of heat and spice on the backside ,pleasant citrus throughout,Beautiful!
Heavy bombbardment of the taste buds,all good a little thick, but carbonation eases that out,NICE!
Overall balance and tastiness keeps me wanting more and more~ I think I'll have another, GREAT STUFF!

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue