La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
4.14/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours from a 750 mL bottle with a beautiful hazy golden yellow color and is capped by a huge, light, fluffy, eggshell-white head. The aroma is more expected than exceptional, though, with a light musty yeastiness primarily, but also a bit of clove, fruit, and even a hint of earthy hops. The flavor is more impressive, with a combination of yeast, lemon, unripe pear, orange rind, and clove again, the overall impression is a wonderful dry, dull fruitiness combined with a characteristic Belgian-style yeast. The texture is creamy and delicate, but not in any way thin-bodied.

Overall, this is certainly not one of my preferred styles, but this beer is addictive, which is troublesome when I'm drinking 750 mL of 9% abv beer by myself. I may not like many tripels, but I like La Fin Du Monde.

3.52/5  rDev -18.5%

Others here have reviewed this beer with very clever and descriptive tasting notes. I'm going to sum up my feelings in simple phrase:

It tastes and smells like a very strong hefeweizen.

I really wanted to like this beer given all the glowing reviews for it, but it just doesn't do it for me. I've had other belgian styles and enjoyed them, so maybe the tripel style is simply not my cup of tea.

I'm glad to have had the opportunity to try this one, I just won't be trying it again.

750ml bottle poured into a tulip glass. Bottle is marked best before June 2015.

Look: golden body that is cloudy with yeast and sediment. A gentle pour gives a two finger head of white foam that lasts a long time. As I drink, there's only a little lace left behind in this beer and it doesn't stick around for very long.

Smell: Belgian spices, clove, pepper, fruity smells of pears and peaches, and a hint of citrus peel.

Taste: the fruit from the aroma stands out with hints of spice and a bit of alcohol. There's a bit of a phenolic taste as well as some orange peel. Its sweet without being cloying and there are some yeast flavors in here too. Nothing here is over powering and it all works together nicely. Well balanced tripel.

Feel: medium bodied, nicely carbonation, hides the alcohol well.

Drink: easy drinking and you could have a few of these if it weren't 9% alcohol.

Overall, a pretty good tripel. I've yet to have a tripel that particularly impressed me but this one comes close. I can see why this is such a popular tripel. I would recommend giving it a try. Cheers!

3.28/5  rDev -24.1%

Thanks to ngeunit1 for this.

Appearance:
Pours a hazy yellow/orange color with about an inch of head that dissipates quickly, like a cola. Carbonation is easily visible.

Smell:
yeasty and dry, but fruity. Very soft and mild smell with some amount of light fruits, like white grapes and a lot of pear. very smooth and champagne-y.

Taste:
Again, soft. A lot of pear flavor and a bit of grape in the background. A bitterness similar to fruit peel.

Mouthfeel:
Sharp carbonation and with a creamy feeling behind it.

Drinkability:
I don't think I'd have more than one of these in a night, partially because of the ABV and partially because I'm not really into this. It's a decent belgian, but it just doesn't quite click with me. That being said, I can recognize it as a quality beer.

4.17/5  rDev -3.5%

A - Poured into a tulip glass. Beer is a hazy golden yellow with lots of active carbonation. A decent head gives way to a white collar with some light lacing.

S - Smells like champagne. Lots of white fruit....grapes....apple...banana....some pear. Lots of spicy and herbal notes as well.

T - Taste is like it smells. As it warms....things mellow out and the carbonation is minimized by each swirl.

M - Initial buzzing carbonation gives way to a medium body....almost some creaminess like you get with a swirled Quad each time you do so. Nice and dry on the finish with lingering sweetness and tartness at the same time. Crisp.

D- ABV is very well hidden. This goes down tasty and easy. A fine example of a Tripel and one that is reasonably priced and available....last I saw was 8.99 for a 4-pack.

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

A-Nice pale yellow, a few specks but overall pretty clear. 2 finger brilliant white head that drops quickly leaving light lacing.

S-Very fruity initially with some pear and apricot along with just a little (not tart) apple. The fruit gets backed up by some caramel like malt sweetness and a little bit of clove. I also was getting some higher alcohols and mineral like yeast, especially as the beer warmed.

T-Sweet peach and pear hit right away quickly moving into some very nice phenolic spice that plays quite well with the alcohol heat. Moving back the esters picked up and I got some ripe banana along with a biscuit malt profile, I also got a little bit of raisin, and again a chalky yeast note that picked up on the finish leaving a nice blend of yeast and phenolic spice.

M-Very fine and moderately high carbonation coupled with a fairly dry body.

D-At $7 this is really a great buy. Pretty complex and well balanced, possibly a little hot, but it blends in quite nicely. Well done Canada.

4.45/5  rDev +3%

Ending the 4-pack review with the original - one of the first beers that sold me on crafts. Poured into une verre du La Fin Du Monde with a moderate foam building up then quickly burning off on top of a perpetually fizzing hazy golden blob.

Smells of sweet malts, light cider and yeasts, oh and some of the 9%. Beautiful sweet, crispy, dry carbonation and a fresh peppery spice. Just such a neat balance of factors that make it a nice beer you can start strong (since it's clean and the abv is so well fit) and finish as a sipper since it's got that sweet flavor.

I think everyone should enjoy the end of the world.

4.67/5  rDev +8.1%

A- Honey color. 5mm head.

S- Very sweet and inviting. Yeasty.

T- Very well balanced. Initially quite sweet, giving way to refreshing hop spice. The 9% ABV does not hide, but is not overpowering.

M- Bubbly and clean feeling.

D- Very drinkable. Its complexity makes me want to figure this beer out. It might take a few!

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

A: Pale and cloudy yellow with an ample fluffy white head. This beer looks amazing
S: Very sweet and grassy with some nice fruity notes. It smells great and you almost want to keep smelling it to find what else lurks inside.
T: Peppery and spicy flavors mostly predominate to me. There is still an underlying sweetness and a bit of breadyness. A sweet and fruity aftertaste is left behind.
M: Champagne like effervescence leaves this one feeling a tad on the thin side but there's still plenty of body.
D: Delightfully drinkable and it will be a pleasure to drink the 750 of this monster from the North.

Overall: A fine example of a Trippel from one of my favorite breweries. A word to those that have yet to experience Unibroue in quantities would be that their beers sneak up on you. One moment you're fine and next thing you know you're no longer sober and encroaching on "I know I won't be driving for awhile"

4.24/5  rDev -1.9%

its kinda weird that a beer of this quality, in the small bottle, would come with a screw off cap!

nice appearance...straw golden...slightly orange...not much of a head...and spacey lacing

smell is the best thing about this beer....smells of tropical bananas and tropical fruits....all thanks to that belgian yeast...

taste is nice very light in the mouth the alcohol is not overpowering...banana really comes out in the taste....

the feel is dry with nice tingling from the carbonation..

the drink ability isn't bad although its high alcohol will catch up

4.44/5  rDev +2.8%

I went into this beer knowing that it would be complex and I made an effort to slow down and enjoy this one. Take time to think about each sip.

A - Yellow gold. It is cloudy with a nice white head on the cup. It really is golden and inviting.

S - I can't get enough of the smell. So sweet and floral. Distinct clove and a hint of cinnamon. It smells sugary and that brings in the notes of fruit in the back end of the nose.

T & M & D - The first thing I was struck by was the sweetness on the front end. Then the malt filled the palate. There was a fizz that filled my mouth and opened up to peppery notes. I also agree with most reviews that the only indication of the abv content is the slight warming sensation on the back end. I really enjoyed just sitting and enjoying every sip of this beer. I enjoyed all aspects (appearance and smell) before taking a sip and I urge you to do the same.

Cheers

4.67/5  rDev +8.1%

Reviewed 12/18/10, taken from notes:

Appearance: Golden brass color with an average head that slowly fades. I think I poured this one too slow. Some sediment present and the lacing was fair.

Smell: Loads to discover; orange mixed with clove is up front with some pears. There's some pepper and heavy yeast that is bready. Hard candy, vanilla -- very complex.

Taste: Spicy, orange, clove lead to an alcohol warmth with a hit of pepper. Finish is sweet and slightly bitter, very long. Nice balance and incredibly complex; you discover different flavors with each sip.

This is a beer you take to a wine party and convert some folks with.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Love this beer! Finally reviewing it. Pours a very murky golden straw color with a big white head that slowly diminishes. Scent is nice and SPICY! Tons of spices and a good amount of pepper with some yeasty notes. I also pick up some hoppiness and white grapes. Taste is OUTSTANDING, as usual. This beer is so complex and full of flavor, it's ridiculous. I get delicious yeast flavors with some fresh bread. Tons of fruit: apples, bananas, white grapes, melon, and a hint of orange. There are some tasty peppery spices along with clove and some bitter hops. Mouthfeel is very crisp and dry. Very complex and full-bodied. Drinkability is very high considering ABV is well hidden. One of the best tripels there are!

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

***NOTE: Make sure you open this beer up and let it get to the proper temprature. The flavors really come out***

A - Light yellow, unfiltered.

S - Smells of cloves and slighty of grapefruit. Good but not great. You can actually smell the alcohol.

T - Wow! Very, very complex. There was an tons of different tastes going on. Cloves/banana,fruit (apple), bitterness of hops, sweet malts, oranges. Very complex and exceptional. I could keep coming back to this. Plus the alcohol does hit you like a ton of bricks.

M - Mounthful was augmented by the great taste.

D - Nice.

Would I buy it again? Yes
Would I recommend it? Yes
Would I drink it at a party? Yes
Did my wife like it? "It might be the most interesting beer I've ever tasted. Reminds me of a good wine. I would drink that. Makes me want another one. It exploded in my mouth."

Overall: Was this one of the best beers on earth? For the sheer taste alone, it is. Everything else was good, but man, the complex taste of this tripel was out of this world (pun intended).

4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a small hazy yellow color with a rocky white head. In the aroma, fruity, yeasty, and dry candy sugar. In the taste, dry candy sugar, a nice fruitiness, and a small yeast presence, but very clean. A small bite and medium to light bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry candy sugar in the aftertaste. Hides the alcohol, and feels lighter. nice mix of fruit notes to dry yeastiness.

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%

From notes, tasted December 2010.

Pours a golden straw yellow, cloudy, with an irrepressible head that I had to wait to die down to pour the full glass. Head slowly withdraws to one finger (where it stays), but the strings of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass persist. Smell is sweet, like champagne, citrus, or apple juice and honey, and powerfully yeasty, but a lovely combination that's quite different from most beers. Taste is delicious, again fairly sweet, but complex. Hard to describe - a lovely light combination of peppery, sweet, citrus, and mild hops. The high carbonation, which is surprisingly not disruptive, does a really interesting thing - it bounces the flavors around, making them come in bubbly waves. It's a really odd sensation, like the bubbles are alternately masking, carrying away, and returning different flavors. Mouthfeel is nice, but rather light for a tripel, and carbonated as much as it could be without being too much. Alcohol kick is absent, despite it being 9%! All in all a delicious and very enjoyable drink; a fantastic combination of taste and tactile sensation.

3.14/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Poured to NB globe. After having so many times in the past, finally gonna put a pen to it.

A: hazy corn kernel appearance with limited head (this time, unusual). the surface remains scattered with fine white foam on the edges and rimming the edge. Little lacing.

S: Lots of banana, clove, cardamom, coriander. All spice and fruity esters. Light grain in the nose.

T: All the spice crosses through and offers more of the same. Banana more evident on the finish here. Finish also offers the peppercorns to show a bit. Some corn as well.

M: Light for the style, but lively carbonation. Leaves the mouth slick. Decent.

D: Drinkable, but not the best in show IMO. I find other triples more to my liking. their yeast is repulsive, and this is simply another stage for them to showcase the beast.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

A-Light azy golden yellow with alittle tinge of orange.Nice crisp 1 1/2 finger head.

S-Minimal citrus notes with a floral crisp smell

T-Super crisp and clean, get nice floral and citrus throughout the whole sip.

M-Light boddied. Nice carbonation. feels so light in the mouth but has a nice amount of flavor and hops

D-Very Drinkable. Ordered this as my last beer of the night after having 2 other sours. GGreat beer to end a night one. GOt a great triple taste but also soo crisp and light that some other tipples don't have!

4.32/5  rDev 0%

A: Cloudy apple juice color, with about a half finger cloud white head that very quickly subsided into a stately froth.

S: Unibroue beer profile for sure. Belgiany, with a bit of dark fruit (despite the light color), and mild citrus... of the EXTREMELY over-ripe kind.

T: Tons of spices: Coriander for starters... honey, tons of malt, and that certain bit of Unibroue funkiness that only the brewers and God can describe!

M: Creamy for a Tripel, yet still very champagne-like in its carbonation. Sure, I could taste the alcohol, but I could detect the yummy spices even more! The lacing left on the glass was moderate.

D: For a high octane Tripel, this was damn drinkable! It's no secret that this is amongst the best in its style class in this category and I totally concur....

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%

263rd review on BA
bottle to tulip

App- A soft hazy straw yellow with some hazy orange hightlights to it. A pretty average one finger head that was quick to recede.

Smell- To me it was the standard tripel smells of a nice earthy yeasty with some crisp minimal citrus notes.

Taste- Has to be one of the classics. It was crisp and clean with that up front yeasty flavor with a grainy, wheaty citrus finish.

Mouth- Has a smooth aftertaste. The ABV is evident on the finish. A medium body with a higher carbonation to it.

Drink- Gone before I knew it. Sneaky good. A 12oz bottle is just not enough. A very good beer that could be enjoyed over a couple bottles.

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

I had this bottle in my basement for a while. There was about a year left until the date that was stamped on the side.
The color was gold and hazy with a small amount of sediment. The carbonation was constantly racing to the top which kept a frothy cap hanging around.
The main aroma I get is oranges.
The flavor is hard for me to describe except that it is deep and sweet with a faint alcohol burn at the end.
The 9% is fairly well hidden. This is a great sipper and it really gets a lot tastier as it warms. The last swallow which included the sediment was the sweetest and tastiest of all.. I think I will pick up a few more bottles and start the cellaring again.

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%

I had a 12 oz bottle, or it may have been an 11.3 oz bottle, and I poured it into my tulip glass...

The liquid was murky, golden-yellow with a pillowy, towering, white head. It smells like a bouquet of fruits, I noticed lemon, banana, orange, peach, and spices. When I took a sip I did notice some alcohol on the back of the tongue. The taste was dominated by lemon and wheat, it was a bit sour and has hints of clove. This is a full bodied beer, the soft carbonation lightens it up creating a pleasing experience. I am not big on triples or wheat beers, but this one is on another level, the alcohol is hidden extremely well and I would love to have it again.

3.85/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a medium yellow w/ three finger white head that lingers a while. The smell is of pears, fruit, spice, apple. The smell is a little more tame than I was expecting. Very light and pleasant though... The taste has a little more oomph to it. It's a pretty sweet beer, but good. Not much alcohol taste, and at 9% ABV, that's impressive. I'd actually like to taste a little alcohol burn with this one. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth. Nice fruity, light aftertaste. Drinkability is pretty high. I could drink several of these before the alcohol would catch up, it doesn't taste like a high ABV beer. Overall, this is a good beer that borders on great. It doesn't quite reach that level, but it's close. I'd definitely buy this again, especially in the warm weather months.

3.63/5  rDev -16%

Unibroue La Fin Du Monde

Appearance: cloudy yellow, large head, and some good lacing.

Smell: wheat, citrus, and yeast.

Taste: wheat, yeast, hops, and a slight lemon-citrus.

Mouthfeel: medium.

Overall:
This is strong with wheat and yeast. It does a great job masking the alcohol content.

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a cloudy, bright, straw-colored light amber. Beautiful two finger creamy head. Very persistent and leaves excellent lacing. Well carbonated. Very nice looking...Like Sophie Marceau (yea, yea I know she's not Quebecoise...get over it)...Elegant, beautiful and timeless...

Aromas are chock full of good stuff...I get sweet malt and Belgian yeastiness right away - very robust. Some coriander...Some fresher notes, too, like lemonade way in the back. Nice and balanced...This is looking like a World class ale so far...

Flavor is luscious, like Sophie's very feminine body...The head and body of this beer are creamy and flavorful...Carbonation swells up initially, but there is a fine malty creamy texture to it that is a pleasure to feel. This gives way to an early middle that starts off tangy, and then immediately moves into a warm series of flavors: nice malt component balanced very nicely by the yeast...they meld in perfect harmony. This is a less spicy version of a Belgian ale...But something about it is more subtle and nuanced. The malt and yeast dance around a little, until they finally give way to a slightly hoppy and understated bitterness that lingers for a good long time. Excellent beer. It's around $9/4-pak, so it ain't cheap or expensive. ABV is awesome at 9% and completely and totally masked. This is wonderful and drinkable to a fault. Many people would get very hammered off this ale. It's excellent on all fronts and hardly any fault to it. Must find and drink. Perfect any time of year, also...

What I like most: The beautiful, nuanced flavor profile, beautiful appearance, wonderful nose...pretty much everything.

What I like least: the price, and just barely a fault here.

Verdict: World class ale from Chamble, Quebec. Absolutely must find.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue