La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance - An orange golden w/ minimal white head

Smell - it was a citrus smell with some coriender seed mixed into it.

Taste - A strong corriender seed and citrus combination. very very good, it was a very unique taste that i haven't tasted before.

Mouthfeel - very crisp with alot of carbonation, very smooth and delightful to drink on a beautiful summer day.

Drinkability - very drinkable, i have to remember this is a 9% beer since it doesn't have a hint of alcohol in its flavor. I could drink this all day and is by far my favorite triple yet.

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance: 2 inches of thick foam that looks (and tastes) like cappuccino foam. The foam fades away fairly quickly though, leaving a half an inch at the top of the glass. Coats the side of the glass with thick lacing throughout. La Fin Du Monde is pale yellow with a pink rosy tint, a trend I'm seeing in Belgian-style beers. This beer tends to look darker and pinker towards the top of the glass, and pure yellow at the bottom. As for the carbonation, I've never seen such an active beer. The bubbles don't merely float to the top and out of the glass, but they swirl like a storm throughout the entire drink, keeping it fresh and not flat. Unmatched.

Smell: Thick, starchy fruit. Bananas and a bit of acidity. Definitely some fermented grapes like a good (very) strong fine wine. Maybe some spiced apple as well?

Taste/Mouthfeel: Fairly acidic. Mostly bitter wine grapes with banana malt in the finish. The grapes translate into moderate hops while the banana translate into with yeasty malts. Despite the malty finish, the hops reasonate, especially towards the end. Seems a bit watery in the finish, but I'm not really complaining, and I'm only saying that because I'm really struggling to find something wrong with this. As you drink the finish gets even smoother so no worries here. Peppery bite to finish.

Drinkability: To quote Keri Hilson and Kanye West, "It knocks you down" very quickly, so definitely sip this. I recently tried Delirum Tremens, which has more alcohol. I have to say I definitely feel this quicker. Drink with caution.

Overall: One of the most beautiful beers out there in any way.

4.6/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Slightly hazy orange/gold color. Poured a 2 finger bubbly white head with fair retention to a thick skim. Decanted continualy. Laced in spots.

S: Sweet light-colored fruits. Vanilla and bread. Grassy and peppery hops.

T: Very consistent with smell with hops more pronounced, but not resiny. Surprisingly well balanced, disguising the alcohol well.

M: Medium body. Moderate carbonation. Smooth, dry and sligghtly warming.

D: As drinkable as to be found for ABV. Flavorful, smooth and balanced without malt, yeast or hops dominating any part.

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

appearance: light caramel very cloudy.. nice 1 finger head.. leaves a bit of lacing on the walls of glass..

smell: apricot, bananas, cloves, various spices, little yeast esters, hints of caramel.. small hint of booze

taste: getting a big clove presence, followed by bananas, apricot, spicey notes, hints of caramel.. also picking up some apples.. finishes quite fresh with just a tad bit of booze aftertaste and a slight slight burning down the chest..

mf is medium bodied with fairly high carbonation..

definitely a very easy sipper.. easy to drink..

this time around i really enjoyed this brew

cheers!!

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet. It is one of my favorite "belguim type" beers. I met the people from Unibroue in Telluride @ the blues & brew festival in 2008 and have been sold ever since.
A- Cloudy yeasty straw/golden yellow pours w/ 1 figure (sometimes more) white fluffy head.
A- yeasty fruity (no fruit added) lightly spicy
t- mmmm mmmm good. clean
m- carbonation is a little on the high side. This is more truely the champaigne of beers.
d- I do go out of my way to buy this beer. it is very drinkable with caution for the high abv of 9%.
Great Golden Triple!!

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Wonderful uneducated decision picking this 22oz. bomber up.

appearance: cloudy(yeasty) golden color. nice frothy head with not much lacing.

smell: bananna, yeast, coriander, hints of lemon.

taste: sweet with a touch of bitter dryness in the finish. Small hops addition is in their with the yeast and sweet malts. Delightfully tasty.

mouthfeel: medium bodied. smooth with a kind a velvet feel. I experience this in other belgian beers I have tried (chimay). Probably the best Belgian offering I have had to date.

drinkability: the abv (9%) is the only probelm with this, otherwise I could drink it all day. long.

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured a hazy light colour into a pint glass. Lots of yeasty esters from the top, but nothing too distinct. Notes of sweet apple and traditional Unibroue mangoish scents.

Wonderful in the mouth with big citrus and fruity notes from the suspended yeast. It was very nice on a hot summer day and could be dangerously drinkable if I had more than the two I did at nine percent.

A fantastic effort and my favorite from the Unibroue stable.

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

appearance- a beautiful golden color with a small white head.

smell- avery citrus smell with other spices maybe corrinder seeds.

taste- corriender seed and citrus it taste much like the smell.

mouthfeel-a very bubbley mouthfeel.

drinkiability-could drink a lot of this it could sneak up on me.

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

750ml into a snifter. Pours a hazy straw orange. Big fluffy heads recedes fairly quickly, nice lacing.

Very complex nose of the classic belgian kind. Doughy white bread yeast surrounded by light skin fruits and minor citrus.

Alcohol not very obvious.

Distinctive Unibroue yeast evident throughout the taste. Sweet but not as much as the scent led me to believe. The finish begins with a spike of dry then sweetens unexpectedly. Long lingering aftertaste encourages sipping. Medium bodied pleasant mouthfeel.

cheers
jd

I'm no professional, but I simply had to speak my mind on this one.

This brew pours a light golden color with a decent head, settles to a nice lace that lasts the rest of the way through the glass.

The smell is fascinating. Balanced fruitiness with a little something wild and maybe even hoppy. Not sure how to describe my intrigue.

Taste is beyond expectation. Again wild and yet smooth. The fruitiness carries through followed by flashes of bitter then earthy finishing with an almost cleansing alcohol. I can't believe how drinkable this huge and complex brew really is. I just wish I had the words to describe everything it has to offer.

I would not recommend this beer to most of my non-ba friends as it would simply overwhelm the uninitiated. Edging quickly toward the top of my list.

4.55/5  rDev +5.3%

750ML corked bottle poured into a Chimay branded chalice.

A: Nice golden orange hue. Beer pours with a small head that dissipates quickly and leaves little to no lacing throughout the entire beer.

S: Smells like apple pie - sweet and spicy with fruit and vanilla.

T: Tastes like it smells and there's some hop there as well. For being 9% there isn't an over-dominating alcohol flavor. Overall extremely well balanced.

M: Medium bodied, low/medium carbonation and super creamy.

D: Real easy to drink for the high ABV. They serve this at a local restaurant I go to often, and I drink three every time without batting an eye.

One of the best tripel style beers out there. I put it up there with my all time favorite - Westmalle. The label boasts "End of the World" and I gotta say if it were coming to an end, this would be a beer I would consider going out on.

4.58/5  rDev +6%

12oz bottle into a chalice

a- pours a bright gold with some nice yellow highlights when held to light. produced a pure white rocky head.

s- Complex with moderate spiciness, significant fruity esters reminiscent of tropical citrus fruit with possibly a slight banana character. Generous spicy phenols esters with only the slightest hop influence with some perfumy hop character. not getting much of any alcohol which is nice.

t- again alot of stuff going on. the spice has significantly picked up in the flavor. much lighter on the fruity esters with only a slight banana character. the citrus takes a seat quite far in the back. a bit of bitterness accompanies a dry finish.

m- the slightest amount of alcohol warming. high carbonation gives an evervescent feel to a smooth medium body.

d- a fantastic example of a Belgian Tripel for around $10/4pk. the ABV is exceptionally well masked and makes this a prime candidate for excessive consumption.

3.28/5  rDev -24.1%

Pours an amber with orange and lemonade looks. Thick head that dissipates quickly leaving a common lacing.

Smells slightly sweet, apples, and moderate hoppiness.

For those who enjoy a beer that is based on sweetness and has some complexity on top of that, it's fine. For me, it's simply too sweet. Nice notes of lemon, cider, and tangy through the finish but I can't help but feel like I'm quaffing quintessentially glorified sugar water.

We all have our perspective. This beer just doesn't resonate with me. I realize this is a top shelf brew for many folks, for me it is just another flawed brew that aspires to greatness. Definitely not the "fin" of my "monde." Having Quebec ties I'd like this beer to be special but for me, it's not.

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance - pours a bright yellow-orange with a 2-finger white head that comes down halfway and sticks around for a while.

Smell - complex smell with hints of malt and spiciness.

Taste - wow, there's a lot going on here. Starts off with a distinctive clove taste, followed by a complex combo of celery, minerals, orange zest, and a slight honey-like sweetness. Finishes crisp and a bit dry. It's amazing that so many synergistic flavors can come out of one beer. Tastes change a bit as it warms.

Feel - Highly carbonated and a bit creamy - thinner than I expected but not too much.

Drinkability - I never would have guessed this is 9% ABV. This beer hides its alcohol well.

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

Finally taking the time to review one of my all time favourite beers; poured into a Leffe chalice.

Appearance is stunning to say the least. A bottle conditioned beer that is a beautiful orange-golden colour. It is cloudy as well, probably due to lack of filtration of the beer ingredients. Pours a bit of head that quickly subsides.

Smell is a wonderful mix of floral and fruit aromas. Very inviting and a good representation of what the first taste of the beer will hold.

Taste consists of a lot of fruit and some malt. Fruits that would be, more or less, the same colour as the beer itself [i.e. - apricot/pear/orange/etc.]. Alcohol is non-existant in taste, but you sure can feel it!

The mouthfeel is different. A thicker bodied beer, which is offset by a refreshing carbonated-citrus bite, that all leads to a dry finish. The dryness is no doubt caused by the massive alcohol content.

Drinkability for this beer is obviously it's strongest asset. To be consumed with the utmost respect, this beer is exceptionally smooth and always rewarding. One of the top 5 beers I've ever experienced... and I've "experienced" a lot of beer.

In my honest opinion, if you're talking value for your money, there are few beers in this world that can match it. The fact that it is Canadian made gives me great hope for the future of beer in my home country... world class indeed!

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

What can I say? It's "the end of the world". I haven't seen a better example of a Belgian tripel anywhere outside of Belgium.

The appearance is the only thing I am not a fan of. Considering the amount of excitement that I get out of corking a bottle of this brew, pouring it into a glass leaves me a tad disappointed. The head is short lived with relatively huge bubbles, and the color frankly makes me think of urinalysis test jars.

However, that is where the problems end! I want to offer this beer to a blind person to see whether or not their other senses make it even better than it already is.

The smell is as close to perfection as I can imagine. No words appropriately describe this, but if I had to use nasal experiences as adjectives, I would choose stomped grapes, freshly cut grass with notes of that first rain of late summer.

The taste follows the same, but there is the slightest bit of astringency at the end. This is not necessarily a bad thing. It really is dependent on serving temperature. The last few sips out of my pilsner glass are warmer because of my hand, and that is where the tiniest bit of off-flavor jumps out. Still, with a 4.5 in that category, you can see that it is almost entirely negligible.

The mouthfeel isn't the greatest thing ever; because of the large bubbles it doesn't flow to the back of the tongue as well as a true Belgian, but the flavor itself masks this "problem" extremely well. A 4 is the worst score I could imagine giving it.

As for drinkability, it is just amazing that this is a 9% ABV brew. Very few strong beers mask their alcohol this well. The only one I can think of off-hand is Widmer's Braggot, which is a vastly inferior brew to this (although good in its own right). Obviously this isn't something I would be able (or afford) to sit down and drink all night, but I'll be damned if it doesn't disappear with startling celerity.

If I may say so, I believe Unibroue (and this beer in particular) is the greatest thing to come out of Quebec, with Georges St. Pierre being the second greatest. :)

EDIT: I guess I'm not the only one who thinks the color is "pissy", based on the review before mine. Ha! Still, not a big deal.

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

This is a revisit of a beer i was unimpressed with a few years ago, Sometimes on the revisit i am blown away, Duval is one example.

Looks great, nice large pillowy puffy head. bone white. lots of lacing,a great looking beer.

Aroma is nice, pretty mild overall but pleasent non the less, peppery and mild esters.

Taste is solid yet mild which allows more then a few notes to play out. Spices of clove and crushed pepper, light dried banana, timid belgian yeast, very faint green apple, dry straw, and mandarin. none of these flavors dominate and they are all subtle and woven into each other.

Medium to high carbination gives a great mouthfeel that is just slightly dry but not very. The subtleness and complexities and easy and refreshing mouthfeel make this a good summer beer.

I did enjoy this much more this bottle around, perhaps its the warmer season, perhaps its because last time around i was drinking many RIS, or perhaps my pallete has devoloped enough to appreciate this more, maybe all three.

3.7/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours an unassuming hazy copper with a course foam that dissipates quickly to a light remnant leaving rings on the glass. Lots of sediment.
Smells like bread, grass, wheat beer, and sweet malt.
Tastes different from your average bmc, no doubt.Very malty, spicy, balanced if not lightly hopped. Smells and has a slight vanilla taste.
Chewy, smooth, bitey from the high alcohol.
9.0 alc. makes for low drinkability.
Very good, very strong.

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

La Fin Du Monde | 750 ml. | 9.0% | 2010 vintage

Brewer: Unibroue
Style: Tripel
Glass: Chimay goblet

Presentation:
Standard Belgian 750 ml. bottle with nice label art depicting Canada from a sort of 'god's eye view'. The cork and cap are quite nice.

Appearance:
It pours a beautiful yellow-orange with an ample frosty, white head of about 1". The head shrinks, but never quite disappears, leaving a hearty pillow atop liquid gold. Bubbles from carbonation joyfully stream upwards along the side of the glass.

Aroma:
A delightful but pungent mix of nectarines and thick, peppery yeast swirl together in my nose. Phenolic cloves and the slightest touch of alcohol in the back.

Taste:
Peppery cloves and hearty yeast mix with delicate nectarines, mango, and -- just as I imagined from the smell. I have to say that at first I was underwhelmed, but the flavors develop spectacularly, unraveling layers upon layers of complexity. The finish is thin, buts its laced with spices and cloves and a touch of hops. The aftertaste is powdery and a bit medicinally bitter. I can see why some may not like it, but I love it.

Mouthfeel:
Its way thinner than expected, especially against comparable tripels. That being said, it is terrifically smooth, creamy and highly carbonated. It is an ethereal tripel -- not necessarily a bad thing, but a bit unexpected.

Harmony:
Very well put together: light, complex, practically heavenly. It's an unusual tripel in that it is light and highly carbonated. Nonetheless, it's really spectacular.

Drink before: Oct. 1, 2010
Price: $7.29 at D'Agostino's

3.93/5  rDev -9%

This is the 2nd time I've had this beer, and both times were a little underwhelming. I admit that the tripel style has never really been a favorite of mine, but this one, even for the style, just doesn't quite get there.

Good looking in the glass. A little surprising because it's much lighter in color than the usual tripel. Pretty carbonation that sort of streaks through the glass.

Light nose with nice malts but not much going on beyond the generally pleasant aroma. I pick up a little of the booze in it.

Very similar to the nose on the palate. There's a sweetness that doesn't dominate.

Good carbonation to go with a medium body. I love the effervescence in this.

Staggeringly drinkable. 9% ABV doesn't detract at all. Sure, I wish it fit my tastes a little bit better but deserves a wow for drinkability. It's definitely not a boring beer, which helps.

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A Poured a cloudy harvest gold color with a three finger head with an aggressive pour. Head settled fairly quickly with a small amount of lacing on a generic goblet.

S Smell reminds me of Pinot Grigio. Apples straw and white grapes.

T Cloves, apples, lemon grass, just a hint of cayenne, and white grapes I also get a touch of tart clover the more i think about it.

M Fairly carbonated but well balanced.

D Very drinkable even as it warms. I like the level of carbonation.

4.6/5  rDev +6.5%

750 ML poured into a Great Divide Globe Glass

A-- Poured a cloudy straw yellow color. Yeast had not settled when pouring. Beer is also a bit too cold about 5-6 c. Short lived bright white head that became film too quickly. Very good head retention though and able to get a 1 finger head after a few swirls of the glass. Once warmer the beer holds the head much longer and shows more carbonation. Beer shows wine like legs of an upper ABV%.

S-- Sweet bread, apricot, white grape, green apple, banana, and clove. Citrus and apple come out more as it warms up. ABV is very well hidden with the aroma. Becomes more complex and the flavors change as it warms up. ABV is well hidden with the aromas.

T-- Large dose of sweet bread followed by banana, clove, and green apple. More it warms the citrus becomes a bigger player in this. Mostly lemon but a bit of pineapple as well.

M-- Highly carbonated, lively, and creamy. Sweet bread followed by citrus tartness to it. A bit of the apple crispness in the end. No real hop presence. Mostly about malt and the yeast. A little bit of an ABV burn at the end and it does get bigger as it warms up more.

D-- Highly drinkable. One 750 is sufficient at 9% or 2 330's are good. The 9 % is well hidden until the very end. The unique yeast strain makes this beer so special. So many flavors and that is beer can be one way cold and another way at room temperature.
One of my favorite beers and to me the gold standard in Tripels. One I will seriously miss as long as I live in Australia. No longer distributed to Australia.

3.5/5  rDev -19%

Poured in to Duvel tulip

A - Somewhat cloudy yellow colour with two fingers of white head. Very carbonated which created a lot of head on the pour.

S - Bready malts with sweet citrus and spices in the background. No discernible hops.

T - Bready malts up front with citrus and cloves and some tropical fruit (banana) in the background.

M - Light body. Moderate carbonation.

D - A good Belgian triple, not my preferred style but still good.

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

A - Pours a hazy honey color with a huge 2 inch white head that fades to a small cap. There is a little spotty lacing present.

S - Smells of acidic fruit like pineapple, green apples, and malts.

T - Tastes heavily of yeast and malt with an acidic fruit aftertaste.

M - Extremely bubbly and crisp with an acidic feel in the mouth.

D - Very tasty beer that was very refreshing. Another great offering from Unibroue.

3.7/5  rDev -14.4%

pours a hazy orange yellow color with spare head, spare lacing, and average carbonation. harsh malt and yeast flavor with citrus, lemony hints. light body anfd thin texture. average flavor duration. very soft bitter tart finish. alcohol well hidden. thought this one would've been a lot better, must say i was pretty dissapointed with this one. not a bad brew just a dissapointment. probably wouldn't drink again.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue