La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

Appearance: Golden straw color with tons of pure white head. Retention is very nice, and the resulting lacing is tight and abundant.

Smell: This beer smells of grass, cloves, slight citrus, and phenolic alcohol. There is a slight smell of pepper, but a sugary sweetness that is more prevalent that I was not expecting. It seems a bit out of place compared to other tripels that I've had.

Taste: Slight pepper at the front, but once again there is a pretty strong lemony sweetness that takes over a bit. Grass as cloves as well, and I can definitely detect the alcohol going down.

Mouthfeel: Pretty smooth, with light body. There is quite a bit of carbonation, but that's to be expected.

Drinkability: Overall I liked this beer a lot. The sweetness kind of threw me a bit, but other than that no complaints. Definitely worth a try and another solid effort by Unibroue.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Reviewed from notes on 8/28/10 with BuckyFresh and TCGoalie. Thanks for the bottle, Bucky!

A: Pours a light gold with a pure white, 1 finger head into a snifter. The carbonation and color combine to give this beer a highly effervescent and glittery look. The lacing is good and reminds me of spindly tree limbs.

S: A cornucopia of fruits and spices reside in the smell of this beer. Lots of spicy Belgian yeast, lemon, lemongrass, prickly pear, pepper, golden delicious apples, clove, mineral water, and numerous other aromas waft out of the glass. This smell is fresh, fresh, fresh, and sings of a golden, dewy spring morning. Warning: Do not suck this beer into your nostrils. It feels very uncomfortable.

T: The dominant taste in my mouth is lemon. This is backed by grassiness and a peppery zing. Spicy yeast and fresh pear also grace my palate. This is a very bright and shiny taste which wears on my palate a bit as time slip slides away. In all, though, it is pretty well balanced with a nice emphasis on the spicy yeast.

M: Nicely clean and tingly on my mouth. However, it was a little thin and watery for the style and quite bright on my palate.

D: The bomber split three ways was probably enough for me. I enjoyed it very much but the brightness and faux sweetness of the taste was pretty wearing on my palate. This will be a once in awhile treat for me.

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pale yellow, very hazy, a small white head on top.

S: Sweet, bready, and hints of banana. A hint of clove, and some yeasty notes.

T: A nice sweet tartness, ripe fruits and berries; especially strawberry. A hint of citrus and clove in the finish, with yeast rounding it out. The tartness fades a bit as it gets warmer. The booze is well hidden.

M: Light bodied, dry, and very highly carbonated.

D: Another dangerous brew.. very tasty! I would definitely have this one again.

Bottle pours cloudy dark golden color with white head. Aroma is yeast. Has a medium light mouthfeel with a lot of carbonation. Flavor is yeast. Not as strong as some of the other brews by this brewer. But it just dominates all their brews. That dark strong yeast aroma and taste is just too much for me.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance:
This beer poured a light yellow amber with good head formation and great retention. Highly carbonated and...who doesn't love a French labeled pint with a cork you get to pop off at your roommates?? In a tulip glass it has decent lacing and looks like a honey amber or a liver failure yellow.

Smell:
Smells light and aromatic, hint of citrus and hint of the 9%abv. Cherries, tangerine, orange citrus, and a hint of yeast. The beer, by appearance and smell, seems balanced and inviting.

Taste (warmed from cool to RT):
This is definitely a much lighter triple, very refreshing and something I did not expect from an area as cold and dark as Canada (no offense, but I'm geographically related to Que & can joke like that). I am almost reminded of a summer wheat, yet it still holds on to the basic essentials of a Belgian style triple. This beer is buttery smooth and has a lingering citrus/champagne linger. The taste is followed by sweet honey and distinctive yeast. Very scrumptious.

Mouthfeel:
The carbonation is heavy, possibly too heavy, but distinctive of the style. I wouldn't be happy with a Triple that didn't rocket the cap into outer space and follow every gulp with bubbles lifting you off your seat. Therefore I hail politely. The mouth has no complaints about the upfront sweetness or the slightly bitter finish. Like I said, similar to the feel of a summer ale.

Drinkability:
I split this pint with one other person and already wouldn't mind getting out a hose and siphoning it from within their gastric system just to grab one more sip. It almost didn't last this review. It has such nice flavors and such a light composure. I will remember this beer and compare other beers to its drinkability.

Cheers.

Well it *smells* how I remember: Apple spritz, clove and Belgian yeast. It's easy to forget how much I like this cold, to treat every beer like it is a barrel aged imperial stout - a critical error in my opinion.

General Pear makes his appearance along with more tropical fruit on the pour, revealing a cloudy lustrous bronze nectar. This beer has a great mellow funk, nice and woody, deep earth tones beneath the fruit, mud and frost.

Tastes like that too. (Is this a cop-out?) Okay, the floral flavors really come through, making this a rather sweet Tripel on the wetter side of dry. The finish is wet and juicy.

I prefer a drier Tripel with less clove, more oak and sour fruit, and a foamier mouthfeel. Regardless, this is top notch, a huge value, and perhaps the only continental Tripel to get it right (that I can afford anyway... ahem *ALLAGA$H*).

At a grocery store this would often beat out a 6er at $7.99. For a Tripel craving I would have to seek out that bastard Westmalle.

4.57/5  rDev +6%

A- Banana gold with medium carbonation.

S- Like a Tripel should smell. Spices up front with a bit of sweet fruity smell. Tons of things to pick up on.

T- Banana, cloves, spices, belgian yeast, slight hops, notes of apple, pear, a tad of malt, and some very subtle hints of the alcohol in the aftertaste. Hides the ABV extremely well.

As it warms up the alcohol strengthens slightly and the fruit tastes become more vivid, leaving you with a very nice aftertase. I think it hits it's best as it begins to warm up a bit.

M- Fairly full body and very smooth. The carbonation fits the bill and compliments the body very well.

D- One of the easiest 9%'s to drink that I've discovered. I could see myself downing the whole 750ml beast very quickly if not for self control.

I bought four of these after I tasted my first in this review, and I plan to get 4 more. I'd dare to say this is my favorite readily available beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a beautiful cloudy white-yellow with bubbly lacing on the sides and a spiraly island of undying foam.

Smell of sweet, ripe fruits. Apple, pear, sweet bread, lemon tart & belgian spices. Lots of flavors! Love it!

Tangy and sweet, flavors of the nose coming through, but much more delicately, this beer is all about the subtleties. I've confirmed that this beer has changed in taste compared to when I used to drink it plentifully years ago. I get an off-putting strong metallic pang that comes through in the aftertaste. Yucky.
This used to be one of my favorite beers so I'll continue to experiment with this one and note its status. It really is a shame.

Dry and sweet, rich and carbonated mouthfeel.

This one, I could drink a lot of...

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

A few of my beer-geek friends were sitting around drinking beer (of course), and talking about some of our favorites. The question came up about which beer we choose if we could only have one beer for the rest of our lives. Being a malt-fiend, I chose some huge dark beer like St. Bernardus Abt. 12, but three folks--without hearing each other--independently came up with La Fin du Monde from Canadian brewer Unibroue. I thought that was an odd response, but I had one for the first time since that conversation--in Montreal with a giant plate of poutine, no less--and I get why they picked it.

La Fin du Monde is officially a "triple fermentation Golden Ale." Like the best Belgian tripels, it's a strong pale ale that perfectly blends malt and hops. It's a big beer at 9% alc./vol., but not overpowering. It flavorful but not too spicy. It's certainly not the very best beer in the world, but it would be hard to find one that better incorporates all the best things about beer. "This beer is brewed to honour of the great explorers, who believed they had reached the end of the world when they discovered America," Unibroue says on their website. One could argue that after La Fin du Monde, there's less of a need to keep searching for that desert island beer.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter

A: Golden hue with a 1 finger white fizzy head. Lots of visible carbonation

S: Wheat, belgian yeast, spice and candied sugar

T: Belgian yeast, some tropical fruit (mostly banana). Spice, sugar. Kinda like a hefeweizen but not as dry or clovey. Slightly sweet, dry finish

M: Medium bodied. Crisp, clean and dry. There is a lingering sweetness. Nicely carbonated

D: Very easy to drink, no real indication that this is 9%. Definitely a regular go to beer for me

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Orange-hay pour, very hazy, nice small, creamy head. Initial fruity aromas, tropical fruit, pineapples, pretty yeasty. Really nice, creamy on the palate, a lot of fruits, with a soft, gentle washing effect that I can't describe. Some sweet banana bread plays with the mangoes, peaches, and spices. Very nice, and one of the best, most accessible tripels out there.

4.18/5  rDev -3%

very nice darkish peachy hue to this beer. nice medium head of foam that quickly collapses upon itself to a fine layer. nice fruity smell mixed with a smidgen of hoppyness. very crisp fruity flavors, very tropical tasting to me. goes down the hatch with ease with a tiny bite of hops toward the end. this is a perfect summer beer for me

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

Upon opening this 750ml bottle a nice pop, on the pour a huge head and no beer in the glass. This fades to a nice small cap. Lots of carbonation. Huge smell of banana and cloves. Tastes of pear, banana, some bread and clove. Quite sweet that transitions to a medium dry finish. Just a hint of hotness once it warms up. Quite drinkable for this abv. Overall a nice beer during dinner with some fish.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

It is a cloudy yellowish beer with a lot of foamy white head. Smell was attractive but it did not hint at how good it really tasted. It was extremely drinkable for a beer at 9% ABV. You could barely even detect the alcohol. It has a crisp fruity taste where I picked up some citrus, maybe a hint of banana, and a great hops after taste that wasn't too overbearing.
This is defiantly a great beer that I could drink a bunch more of. It is also the first Tripel I have tried so I am excited to try more and see how they compare.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a cloudy golden color.
Nice thick white head. Slight fruity aroma. Easy drinker. Clove and corriander taste, Belgian yeast taste. Some citrus and bananna. Alcohol not evident. This one really goes down easy and is one of my all time favorites.

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

Note I had this many times, and for some reason this bottle, just was not as good as my memory thinks it was. maybe something changed???/

A: Yellow gold in color, did not have much head as it was too cold on the pour into a triple glass. Some lacing if you swirl the glass, it goes away fast. Body is clear, no yeast floaters

S:I get some banana, pears and apples. I get lots of Belgian yeast as it warms past 49F. Some malt and some alcohol.

T: Slightly gritty, slick and oily, with lots of sugar sweetness, and malt. Lots of alcohol in this as it got warm, quite nice and to style.
orange, banana, and apple are the main flavors. no hops bitterness at all.

M: low carbonation in this 330ml bottle, actually is a tad thin for the style, finish was a tad astringent.

D: its ok nothing to crow about I think the 750ml is better.

Ok it is and was Tripel day, until the wife surprised me for my BD with a hidden 6 pack gem of Westvleteren Blond, 8, 12

geez any way its a good tripel not world class but decent, nothing beats a westmalle triple.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Not suprised to see this at the top of the Tripel list, Definetly my favorite of the style!
Medium to deep gold with some yeasty haze happening,two finger head looked stellar but faded out fairly quickly.
Smelled a little bready with some spices going on,touch of skunk with fruity action as well!
Very sweet in flavor up front with a touch of heat and spice on the backside ,pleasant citrus throughout,Beautiful!
Heavy bombbardment of the taste buds,all good a little thick, but carbonation eases that out,NICE!
Overall balance and tastiness keeps me wanting more and more~ I think I'll have another, GREAT STUFF!

4.69/5  rDev +8.8%

It pours a single pinky full of snow white froth, excellent carbonation with hundreds of tiny bubbles floating freely as the aroma hits your nostrils with a sweet, strong, sparkling wine scent. It settles as a cloudy light amber concoction, resembling a wit, yet we all know better. A full bodied tripel with a taste almost as tempting as an authentic Trappist ale. Very sweet lacking the tang of more domestic Belgian style ales. Decently strong alcohol content, yet it barely hints wards this. Mild, not overbearing (read New Belgium Tripel), coriander flavor. Very delicious, a new favorite of mine, considering it's cost is very reasonable (6 bucks for a 750ml bottle). Will buy again, and again.

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

A - Very light, clear golden color with a huge, thick, creamy, frothy, meringue-like head. Incredibly thick head. Very good retention that finally settles into a nice creamy layer of lace.

S - Pretty typical for a BSPA with a lot of golden fruit (apple, orange, apricot). Insane amount of Belgian yeast aroma with a fair amount of candi sugar aroma as well. Slight musty aroma as well.

T - Similar to the nose with a good amount of golden fruit (see above). Also a lot of yeasty flavor as well. Pretty good amount of spice and candi sugar with the sweetness slightly outweighing the spicy flavor. Some pale malt in the background.

M - Lighter side of medium body with about average carbonation. Sticky feel.

D - Nice tasting beer with a nice body, but nothing outstanding. Still pretty easy to drink and I enjoyed drinking it, although it wasn't overly inspiring in regards of making me want another.

Notes: A pretty good BSPA with a bit more of a mild flavor. Not my favorite beer, or even my favorite of the style, but it is quite a tasty beer. Definitely worth trying, and possibly worth getting again if the price is right.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Cloudy gold in color. Nice small/tight bubbles translate in to almost a foam on the top. Very fruity smelling with a bit of tartness. As for flavor - I'm not a huge Tripel guy but this will be my "go to" as a change from my normal heavier beers. The taste is very complex with many malty/fruity flavors. Alcohol is dangerously hidded - you want to chug it but it'll hit you if you do. I didn't notice an alcohol flavor until I would breathe in after swallowing a mouthful. As it warms more pepper shows itself. The mouthfeel is what really gets you with this one. Very creamy feel. Great beer. You just want to keep drinking this one but have to be careful due to the 9% that I felt immediately (but didn't really taste). You have to remind yourself to slow down and really savor this one. Great beer (especially considering the price/availability).

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

This is beer is tasty and feels good going down. It hits you like a brick, so be careful as it is 9% abv. Please don't chug this beer, you will be a disgrace. It is Unibroue's best beer, although whichever one I am drinking at the time is my favorite. Definitely give this beer a try!

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter

appearance - golden yellow, small carbonation bubbles, medium head that dissipates slowly, sticky lacing that spots nicely on the glass

smell - spice, yeast, sugar

taste - full flavor, clove and spice up front, fruity and yeasty, sugary and slightly bitter finish, alcohol is well hidden for 9%

mouthfeel - heavy carbonation, medium body, finish lingers a bit

drinkability - complex and flavorful, big tripel flavor

Serving type - Bottle

Appearance - Yellowish honey color, slight white head, very pretty in a glass

Smell - Very floral, lemon, banana, apples, peach, grapes. alcohol, oranges and spices

Taste - Starts off with a amazing combination of floral fruits, added spices, yeasts and wheat malts. Everything about this beer is balanced and you are able to taste and enjoy each flavor. Citric fruits add a bitterness, the yeast adds sweetness, and the malts add a bold wheaty flavor. Alcohol gives some nice warmth in the finish.

Mouthfeel - The first thing you get is the sweet fruits coating the tounge. Loads of grape and lemon. Some spices and yeasty sugars comes in next. Palate gets more of the same along with some wheat malts, and warmth alcohol. The finish is sweet, warm and fruity.

Drinkabilty - Simply amazing, such a tasty, well balanced and enjoyable beer. This is my standard triple, i havent had anything yet thats its equal. Nothing about it is overpowering, you really can enjoy everything it has to offer. World class, a must try for a craft beer drinker.

4.49/5  rDev +4.2%

A - Pours a hazy light yellow color with a rich half finger creamy white head. Lots of carbonation rising in the glass. Head retention and lacing are great.

S - Smell is very fruity and yeasty. Lots of light fruits dominate this aroma. Peaches, apples, maybe some cherries. Yeasty malt aroma is in the background.

T - Taste is much different than the aroma. The fruits are still there but the malts dominate right off the bat. As the taste progresses, this changes, but the initial taste is all malts. As the malts fade, the fruits come into play one by one. First the apple, then some cherry/orange, finishing with the peach tartness. The beer rounds out with a bready/fruity combination.

M - Light to medium boded with lots of carbonation. Tart mouthfeel all around, but not lambic or wild ale tart. This is the perfect balance of tart and sweet with the flavors involved. Carbonation enhances the tartness giving your mouth a nice fizz throughout the taste.

D - Great drinkability. I had a few friends who had tried this and didn't like it. Not sure what they were tasting. This is an amazing beer. For the ABV it is very drinkable. No alcohol taste or burn in the least. Balance between the malts and fruits make this a very easy drink.

4.22/5  rDev -2.1%

A- hazy orange extremely cloudy one inch white head which died down to about a half a finger no lacing
S- light spices flowery banana like aroma a light peppers tickle the nose
T- lots of malty breads upfront lots of spice and some sugars surrounding it mainly clove like character a dry earthy finish slight alcohol detection
M- very good smooth thick perfect

D- very drinkable