La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

2/10/10

Unibroue
La fin Du Monde
Belgian style tripel
ABV 9%

A= 4.5 Large long lasting lively frothy white head

S= 4.5 Light hops on the nose with a great floral presence. Hits of citrus and yeast

T=4.0 Very lively on the tongue, Citrus hops with ester taste and a light floral presence even on the palate.

F=4.5 Great feel. Very refreshing with a light hop backing. No alcohol presence which is impressive at 9%

D=5.0 Great great beer with great carbonation. Drink 3 of these and I'd be done for sure.

3.48/5  rDev -19.4%

A: Nothing too special in this department. A urine yellow color with a decent white head that quickly fades

S: Smell a citrus, piney scent off the bat. Malts in the middle and a slight hop scent on the backend. Not getting too much special off of his brew.

T: Wow, this one surprised me in a bad way. After seeing some of the reviews, I was really gunning for this one. Tastes like citrus apple flavored sparkling water. Not much else going on.

M: Very smooth with a hint too much carbonation, but still very good in this category.

D: This one is exceptionally drinkable mainly because it tastes like a sparkling water and not like a beer.

All in all, this brew disappointed me. If you like a refreshing beer comparable to sparkling water, then this is for you. If you like heavy hops or malts, then this one might not be for you. Good to try at least once to give it a chance, but otherwise, I do not recommend.

4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 (11.2?) oz bottle on the Winking Lizard beer tour. Drinking this felt like visiting an old friend - I see time has treated you well, buddy! This is one of the beers that made my palatte grow 2 sizes bigger after drinking - it really opened my eyes to the pleasant ways Belgian yeast can add to a beer.

A vigorous pour minus the sediment into an open mouthed glass. Straw color with a nice fluffy white head that sticks around.

Smell is great - yeast gives scents of banana, orange, and sweet malt.

Taste is almost perfect. This is a quinessential Belgian beer with orange flavors, yeasty esters, mild earthy spices like clove, and belgian candy sugar all make an appearance.

Mouthfeel is the only point that isn't exceptional as it's too lively carbed. I know a triple should have a fresh, bottle conditioned carb profile but this is just a bit too carbed and mildly distracting.

Overall, this was amazingly drinkable, refreshing, and wonderful. A great beer!

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

I've had some less than stellar experiences from unibroue, though through no fault of the brewery (I failed to check the dates on a sampler pack I had bought) and so, even after checking to make sure this one wasn't expired; I purchased the bottle with a bit of subconcious aprehension.

I'm glad I did.

Poured a cloudy orange amber color with a nice cap of white head.

The smell is orange citrus, bread, and spice. The taste is sweet, everything in the nose is in the mouth except for the boogers; add a bit of clove to the taste as well. The 9% alcohol is masked well; this is probably easier to drink than it should be.

Such a smooth beer, glad to have tried it; will definately try again.

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%

I've read nothing but good things about this beer, so obviously I had to try it. Into my Guinness glass it goes.

A - Hazy golden/ orange body with a thin, compact white head that fades rather quickly, but stays around in patches.

S - Citrus and fruit, hints of bitter hops at the end.

T - VERY MILD. No hint of harsh alcohol at all. Hints of citrus fruits, such as orange, lemons, even some hints of strawberries.

M - Crisp and refreshing. A perfect balance of carbonation and smoothness. Very nice.

D - Dangerously drinkable. One of this beer's best attributes, in my opinion, is that there is absolutely no trace of an unpleasant aftertaste.

3.4/5  rDev -21.3%

Tasted at a little beer tasting I did with myself.

The appearance is golden yellow with a very crisp head. The head starts our at two fingers with an aggressive pour, but very soon leaves through the backdoor and takes all of its belongings with it. It is a clear brew, but is lighter in color.

The smell is of bready yeasts and very crisp hops. Their is some malt background in their as well but it all takes a backseat to the yeast.

The taste is of bready and Belgian yeasts with a slight malt background. It has a very crisp lavender and clove flavor that is brought up by the yeasts. Lighter in all aspects of the tastes than other Tripels I have had.

The mouthfeel is of strong carbonation and smooth finish. This is a refreshing drink, but not incredibly tasty. I would prefer St B.'s Tripel to this one.

J

4.68/5  rDev +8.3%

A: Beautiful pale orange, with effervescence utterly filling the area of the glass. Bubbles rise to the surface in rapid unison like diving beetles gasping for...more La Fin Du Monde? I've read some other reviews on this brew, and a few folks mention a lack of head and/or lacing. I am having the opposite experience. My glass is coated in lace, and there is still 1/4 inch head left after 15 minutes.

S: The first whiff made my mouth water. That's always a good sign. Belgian yeast, clove, oranges, banana, spices, citrus. There's a lot going on here, for sure.

T: Absolutely delicious. Incredibly complex, this is one of my my go to beers. Spices and citrus blended beautifully, followed by warming alcohol. There is a yeasty, bread-like quality that I enjoy very much.

M: So smooth. Great carbonation level. Alcohol blended in perfectly.

D: So tasty and easy to drink, I could drink this all night...and the next...and the next. The 9% alcohol, while not overwhelming, will sneak up on you in a hurry.

Notes: This beer is world class and very accessible. One of my all time favorites.

4.55/5  rDev +5.3%

pours a hazy, light orange with a two finger, frothy white head with impressive lace. smells pungent and tart. fruit, ginger, cloves, and spices, especially banana. the taste is lively with champagne carbonation. coriander, sweet honey, yeasty and grainy. citrus lemon, with an amazing hop backround. One of the best belgiums i've had to date.

4.63/5  rDev +7.2%

Big mousse-like, creamy white head on top a mildly hazy golden body.

Fruitiness abounds in both aroma and flavor, with soft and subtle notes of pear, citrus, and plum. Finishes dry with a note of spice and clove. Creamy, soft, and almost fluffy on the palate. Quite complex, yet gentle. Malt and hops are merely a canvas on which the yeast create their masterpiece.

An excellent Tripel, maybe one of the top 3 brewed in the world.

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%

This is another one of my favorite beers. It is also a staple around my house.

Poured into a tulip it has a beautiful golden yellow color with a white head and beautiful lacing. This is a good lookin beer.

Smells of cloves and bubblegum/banana. Everything you would expect in a tripel style.

Taste is of pepper and spice notes. Not a lot of this but it's there. Very smooth and tasty. Little bit of clove and spice/noble hops.

Mouthfeel is great with a high carb that is perfect for the style.

Overall I LOVE this beer. I am so glad this is so widely avaliable and I can even get it at my local grocery store. I have had this many times and plan on having it many more.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a hazy yellow with a big thick head that lasts.

Smells sweet and malty with a hint of banana.

The taste is very similar to the smell, very fruity and a touch of hops.

Full bodied but enough carbonation to smooth it all out.

Very refreshing beer and you don't notice the 9% one bit.

3.23/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured a 341-ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance - cloudy, creamy golden blonde ale with an off-white foamy head. Head lasts for a bit and then subsides to a 1/4-inch. Fairly active carbonation observed.

Smell - spicy floral hops with an herbal quality take center-stage remeniscent of some Belgian witbier I've tasted.

Taste - peppery, nearly medicinal clove taste over some refreshing bitters. Spiced taste definitely makes this a winter selection. Hardly any taste of alcohol in this but a warming feeling occurs after a few sips.

Mouthfeel - overall a pretty smooth beer. The wave of spices is a bit much for me but that's where it's at.

Drinkability - very easy going down for the alcohol content. You would never realize this is a 9% brew.

4.58/5  rDev +6%

Serving type: 750 ml bottle with cork top.

Appearance: a hazy amber with a very thick head.

Smell: floral and yeasty a hint of bubble gum (amazing).

Taste: Very well balanced between hops and grain. You almost dont notice that it is 9%ABV.

Mouthfeel: very smooth with a light creaminess.

Drinkability: all day long.

Note: This beer has enough flavor to goes great with a wide range of heavier foods and is sophisticated enough to have with lighter fare as well.

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy and pale blonde color with a creamy two finger, white head. The aroma is very sweet and malty with estery banana scents, too. The body is creamy and flows smoothly with banana flavors backed by a semi tart maltiness. The finish fades slowly and tastes sweet. As it ends it leaves a lingering but subtle tartness.

3.03/5  rDev -29.9%

Years ago, over a decade to be sure, I decided that I hated this beer and that it gave me an instant headache. I have become far wiser in the interceding years. This is still not my favorite, however.

A – Cloudy orange-yellow, quite carbonated.

S – The most distinctive smell: yeast, grain, banana and ripe fruit ester and a buttery richness meld to form a nose that is so identifiable. I think I could recognize it, easily, in a blind test.

T – It has many variables that I appreciate, but they do not combine in a manner that I am stoked on. Basically, it is too sweet, and drinks too hot, for me. I don't like any part of it all that much, and I am not quite sure why.

M – Sparkling, which would be good normally, but in this case it delivers an overwhelming amount of alcohol to the nose.

D – Nah. I'll pass. Give one to the Alstroms.

3.65/5  rDev -15.5%

A- Light golden-yellow with a nice white head.

S- Fruit, yeast, spices, very belgian.

T- Pretty much like the nose. Spices, fruits, malts, again very Belgian (or Belgian-like I should say). Sweet and tasty. Edit: On second try, I have to say that this beer tastes a little watered-down compared to other Belgians I've had. I've had to knock the taste for that.

M/D- Perfect amount of carbonation, overall a very good beer.

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

330ml bottle served in a tulip glass.

My 50th review, with class... ;)

A: Pours a yellow to orange golden color. Bit cloudy. Forms a medium bubbled head with low retention and very few lacings left

S: Smell is sweet, grainy and quite spicy. Complex. Notes of cinnamon, coriander, honey, pepper, vanilla, orange zest, flowery hops and yeasts. Malts backbone. A bit of alcohol in the very end

T: Complex as the nose: Sweet, grainy and spicy upfront. Again, notes of honey, coriander, cinnamon, vanilla, malts, pepper, orange zest and bready-earthy yeasts. Mild bitter finish

M: Heavy body. Creamy and molasses. Medium carbonation. Bittersweet aftertaste which is also quite spicy

O: good beer. Perhaps a little bit too spicy. Quite different from the Belgian Tripels I've tasted. Strong Unibroue character

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%

12 oz bottle into a goblet. Bottle has a "best by" date of 07-09-12. Pours a rich orange color, with a moderate head, but good retention and lacing. Smells are very muted, but spicy yeast, apples, and a touch of pine are present. Tastes are spot on for a tripel, plenty of sweetness but a very good balance between hops and malt. Really not able to taste the alcohol at all, dry on the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a nice creamy texture. This one is dangerous at 9% ABV, but it's one of my favorite tripels. Great beer, good price!

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

Apearance - Pours a coludy golden orange witha 2 finger white head that doesn't last as long as I would like it to.

Nose- Lots of clove accompanied by apple, orange apricot and yeastiness.

Palate- Very fruity, almost cidery with peach and bitter orange peel notes along with clove and some spicy/herbal hops. Bready with some definiter alcohol warming.

Mouthfeel- Medium body and medium-high carbonation.

Drinkability- Lacks the complexity that would normally keep my interest.

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

Tasted 1/28/10, best by date of 8/22/10, so bottled in 07, I think?

Beautiful full head, pale golden color with an endless streams of rising bubbles.
Smells of apples, with major white wine characteristics, lots of fruit present in addition to spicy and medicinal notes, and a faint hint of yeasty earth.
Taste matches the aroma, with alcohol providing just enough edge to match the fruity, sweet flavors. Extremely clean despite the multitude of flavors.
Feels outstanding - rich and round body, yet bubbly and effervescent thanks to the active carbonation. Smooth.
Very balanced and manageable 9% abv. This beer is never a bad choice.

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured In: Snifter Glass

Appearance: The pour is from a twelve ounce bottle. The beer has a hazy golden and sunshine wheat color with three fingers of thick and creamy head. The head retention isn't bad, it sticks around for a little bit. A few swirls in my snifter leaves me with a few dots of lace on the side of my glass. The beer is quite effervescent, which was to be expected from the large head produced on the pour.

Smell: The nose wields an interesting set of aromas. It doesn't have that strong spicy yeast aroma that many Belgian beers have. The yeast aroma is rather mute. There is, however, some herbal hop notes. The beer is warm now, and there's a little alcohol warmness in there, but it isn't sharp, it's nice.

Taste: The palate picks up many of the same notes as the nose. Some herbal hopiness and some spicy Belgian yeast. Now there are some fruit notes coming out as well; it tastes like lemon and pear.

Mouthfeel: A thin to medium body, well carbonated but it crosses the palate nicely. It's a nice strong, but gentle carbonation.

Drinkability: I liked this one a lot more than I was expecting. I think it was because it didn't have that strong Belgian yeast flavor. Not that I dislike that flavor, I just like when it's more mellow.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

A- Pours a cloudy yellow with a slight orange hue. Head is about two inches, drops to about a quarter inch after a minute, lacing is light for a tripel. Very inviting!

S- Not as complex as a tripel should be. Pears, citrus(orange mostly), and a sour dough funk.

T- At first it taste like orange-pineapple juice, as it warms on the tongue the yeast kicks in, there is some spice(maybe coriander), just a little funky, a slight banana aftertaste.

M- Creamy but not as creamy as a trip should be. All most perfect balance between flavor, body, and carbonation.

D- This as drinkable as a beer can get for me. Alcohol is transparent. Very refreshing, cant wait to have one of theses on a hot summer night.

Notes- This was my first non Belgian Tripel. Its all most perfect. It has a best by date of 12/12 so Im assuming its really fresh.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass. Beer is yellow to dark yellow and completely hazy. Forms a thick white head of small to medium bubbles with steady and high carbonation. The head leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. It looks good.

The aroma is bready with a strong yeasty character and a good estery component.

Medium bodied, the beer is silky in the mouth and finishes with a nice bitterness. There is a lot of yeast and esters playing in the mouth. Overall a great beer and a good tripel. This is one of my standby beers, consistently wonderful.

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

A- This beer pours a murky golden orange with 2 fingers of white head. A nice half finger layer of head remains after some time. Little to no lace, which is a little dissapointing.

S- Loads of fruit, most noticeable is pear and apple. Lots of spice, mainly clove. Belgian yeast and some bready notes as well.

T- The fruit and spice isn't as strong in the taste which is good because it's balanced very well with the sweet malts and bready/yeasty flavors. The alcohol is hidden nicely.

M- Beautiful mouthfeel. Creamy, smooth, and a good amount of carbonation for a light body. Perfect Actually!!

D- This wasn't 1 of my favorite Unibroue beers, but my palate must of changed because I'm really enjoying this one. Glad Unibroue is Canadian, great beer at a decent price.

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Bought a 750 mi bottle of La Fin Du Monde after reading about it in a book 300 Beers To Try Before You Die, a gift from my daughter, of course I had to double check with all the beer tasters at beer advocate.com and it was listed in best of B.A.

I poured the first glass a little to hard, go easy it pours a huge pillowy white head. The smell of citrus and pine very nice, the mouth feel very crisp and light .

The taste spicy with hints of grapefruit and peppery notes very refreshing reminds me of Kasteels Belgium triple ale.

Tonight I saw a mixed eight pack of Unibroue ales, I will be trying them soon.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue