La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

This pours a pretty golden-orange, fairly clear, not a lot of head. Aroma is malty with a strong hint of citrus. Flavor is strong and malty and has some hoppy hints. Finish is smooth and refreshing. This is an insidious beer, though, as you don't taste the alcohol, so it can sneak up on you.

Cyberkedi, Jun 10, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured this into a tulip, pours a pale yellow in appearance with little bubbles of carbonation and a serious white head that leaves a bit of lace. You get the nice sweet smells of fruit and honey in the nose, this is a beer that has amazing aromas. Taste is differnt as it warms up, when its chilled its a sweet tangy tart of fresh ripe fruits with a bit of apple, pear, grapes, as this masterpiece warms the bread spice comes with a hint of a clean alcohol finish. I have to give it up for Unibroue they are an amazing brewary, they produce amazing products.

gunnerman, Jun 08, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +6%

Poured into Stella glass

A: Absolutely beautiful brew, perfect golden amber hue. Two finger head than kept for a long while and then disappated but not all the way.

S: Smell is wonderful, I get a bit of floral and perhaps corriander.

T & M: If a friend who only drinks macros had only one beer to drink to be introduced to the world of craft beers this is the one I would pick. There is so much to the mouthful it is hard to place all the different flavors that are there. It is a truly amazing beer.

D: Heavens yes it is drinkable, it is 9% ABV but there is no hint of the high alcohol as I'm enjoying this truly superlative beer.

This beer truly stands atop the summit of all brews and should be tried by all beer drinkers once.

elniko, Jun 08, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into red wine glass.

A - Hazy golden, with a big 2 finger head that drops rather quickly to a collar, expected from the high alcohol content.

S - Overwhelming aroma of powdery yeast, riding a pale malt backbone. Semi-sweet vinous aroma in the background.

T - A simple but strong yeast flavor dominates early and mid palate, with some hints of apple/peach esters. Late palate reveals a spike of phenols, mostly from the alcohol but cleverly hidden by the grapey taste present in the nose. A sharp metallic taste begins the lingering and quite bitter finish.

M - The light body works well enough, but the high carbonation is bothering me a little. Not a bad compliment to the predominant yeast character, but still a bit much for me.

D - Not bad considering it's ABV. A little bitter and and pretty high on the yeast (which is a strong and strange-ish flavor to say the least), but I could definitely let a couple of these sneak up on me.

PatrickJR, Jun 06, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

A- This is the 1st tripel I've ever had and right off the bat, I'm impressed with the 750ml bottle, and the cork top plus wire that's holding it down. The cork popped once taken out, like a semi-sparkling wine...great so far. I soft poured on an angle into my glass and only filled about half way due to the impressive foamy white head that kept swelling. The coloring is a hazy amber/off orange with some noticable carbonation. This looks like a real winner!

S- This is very complex! First thing I noticed was a rich yeasty aroma, like fresh bread with melted butter on it. There's definately some baking spices in there as well, plus flowery alcohol aromas, some nuttiness, lots of malt and even some tropical fruits. Every whiff brings something different to the table on this one!

T- Again, many different flavors come to life in this. First thing that I notice is the spiciness of the beer. Reminds me somewhat of gingerbread cookies. I tasted the tropical fruits, and even some tart citrus notes. Once through these tastes, the maltiness of the brew comes to life, especially in the finish, along with some balanced hops and there is a heavy yeasty flavor that I detected. Great stuff!

M- I have to agree with a previous review in the fact that this beer seems to get a fuller body the more it is enjoyed. I noticed as I made my second pour that the consistancy was thicker than the first. The first half is much more bubbly and the second half is very creamy on the palate....I like it more the longer I'm drinking it.

D- I've decided that this is a very near perfect beer, but it is full bodied....that and the fact that I had 3/4 of a litre and I've had as much as I can handle for a night. This would definately be enjoyable with an old cheddar cheese. I recommend this beer for anyone who truly enjoys the finer brews in life and think this would be a great beer to celebrate with! With that said though, this beer is, in my opinion, a sipping beer and a single bottle would suffice for an entire evening.

ChrisCage, Jun 06, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

355ml bottle poured into a goblet, La Fin Du Monde is a hazy strwa yellow with a large white head the is quickly settling and leaves no lace, the lightest smattering. I really like the color, but these beers are all about the head and 'brussels' lace.

Smell is pretty good, banana esters, cereal grains, a hint of caramel and metallic phenols as it warms.

Taste is fantastic - this is my favorite trippel. Big fruity esters, spicy backbone, very smooth, although it actually gets a tad boozy and grainy if you let it warm too much. Served at cellar temp though, perfect.

Mouthfeel is very carbonated, with a crisp, dry snappy finish. Highly digestible, this has a light body and is easy on the belly.

Drinkability is supreme for me, as good as it gets for the style. Big taste, but smooth and dangerously easy drinking...factor in the fact that Unibroue brews are such a great low price, this one should get a 5.5!

ccrida, Jun 05, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

We were a bit put off by Unibroue at one stage by all the sort of fruit and veg weird beers we sampled at a tasting. That was a pity because it delayed an appreciation of what this place can do. What can I say that hasn't already been said in these many and several notes?

The most impressive thing about this very impressive beverage (which can hold a candle to a Tripel Karmeliet any day) is the aroma: beautifully complex, with phenolic, medicinal organic components and yeast and fruity malt. You definitely want to inhale before imbibing. On the palate you travel from initial sweetness to lingering slightly bitter end-notes. The beer has a lot of carbonation: it expresses in lively fashion from the bottle and continues the bead in the glass, but feels quite soft on the palate.

AylwinForbes, Jun 03, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Cloudy golden with a big head

Smell is delicious and complex, a mix of fruits, and a bit of alcohol

Mmmm. Pineapple and banana with a bready base and crisp finish with a touch of alcohol. Complex, yet very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel substantial, compliments the taste nicely.

Very drinkable considering the abv. I'll be back to this one.

Strix, Jun 03, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

750mL bottle into a Tripel Karmaliet glass. Pours a nice hazy straw yellow with a frothy head that is slow to diminish and leaves great lacing on the glass. The aroma is an amazingly fragrant blend of spice, yeast and sweet fruits. The taste is a wonderful blend of sweet fruits from the malts and citrus hops with a nice bit of spice to round things out. The beer is crisp and refreshing with some alcohol presence, but not 9% worth. This is a truly wonderful beer that is somewhat hard to believe was actually brewed in Belgium.

atsprings, Jun 02, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +13%

Flawless, hazy-orange pour. A frothy and rich white head holds respectable retention.

I hardly needed to hold my nose up to the head to catch the intensly sweet aromas. Very orange and citric with malty-rich hints of yeast.

Incredible flavor. I need not continue but I will. One of the best brews I have had the pleasure to enjoy. A subtle zestiness enriches the palate followed by a tangy, semi-sweet finish that represents the perfect tripel ale. Way too smooth going down - abv content masked unmercifully.

Carbonation was consistent and well balanced with the rest of the beer. Suprisingly lighter texture and feel than was expecting but in pleasing way.

Never had a tripel better than this one. Too easy to drink and so delicious, I cherished this glass of beer. On to the next Unibrue!

Taffle, Jun 02, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours orange-gold with a frothy head. Aroma of straw, banana, yeast, citrus, and spice. Taste is the same. Relatively low carbination. Finish is clean and slightly bitter. Has very nice balance, and the beer is interesting from start to finish. Alcohol is extremely well hidden. An excellent triple.

RomanW70, Jun 01, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -13.7%

Paid $7.49 for an Australian Longneck from BevMo in Willow Glen, CA. Poured into a pint glass with a couple pours.

This is a nice beer to open. Has a decorative yet functional metal fastener holding the cork down. The cork pops when opening, almost like a bottle of champagne. That should have been my first sign of the amount of carbonation in this one. After a soft pour, half of the pint was a white head made of huge bubbles. Has the color of a cloudy yellow wheat beer. The head doesn't shrink down too quickly at all. Thick creamy trails of lacing.

The nose is yeast first and foremost, but there is also hints of alcohol and sweeter malts with some spice. The carbonation can even be slightly detected in the nose.

Taste is nice, refreshing and complex. Yeast and bread at first; similarities to both a hefe or wheat beer but unique in its own manner. The yeast is then balanced with the sweeter malts and floral perfume hops which combine for a nice mild fruity flavor. Alcohol taste is present as well.

Creamy, light to medium body. Not as carbonated of a mouthfeel as I originally anticipated to this point.

Tripels usually are not my beverage of choice, so drinkability is affected, but it the best Tripel I've had to date. Highly recommended for this style.

ibbjamin, May 31, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

I've decided to taste this beer after reading that it won the World of Beer Gold medal in 2008.

One word, awesome.

This beer has everything right! Color, smell, taste and aftertaste! I've taste La Fin du Monde from a 750 ml bottle. Was a little bit scared that I wouldn't like it and if that was the case, 750 ml was simply too much. It turns out that 750 ml was not enough.

Definitely a regular buy for me since it is sold in small shop everywhere here.

ZorPrime, May 26, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +10%

"The End of the World", en Francais, for my 100th BA review. Que a propo, non? So, my French sucks...sorry.

750 ml cork-in-cage bottle with 'best before date' 12-18-10, opened with a confident pop! and poured gently into a chalice yields a bright hazy blonde body decorated with a steady wave of Champagne-style bubbles and a white head of 2 fingers that retains at a half-finger and laces the glass nicely.

Smell is spicy and savory, with light caramel malts and a slightly acidy citrus character. Rich and soul-lifting.

Tastes sweetly malty, balanced with tartness, dry yeast and a touch of orange and hot pepper. Wonderfully bready, then banana and sweet pineapple flavors kick in, making this sub-Arctic Canadian masterwork seem exotic and tropical.

Tingling carbonation that cuts the sweet malty profile to perfect drinkability and releases even more flavors. Juicy fresh fruits and mild nuttiness grow as the drink warms. Slick, silky, outstanding.

No trace of the potent alcohol, pas de tout, in this beer I find simply magnificent. My first Unibroue offering, too. Extremely impressed. Outstanding. Awesome. Kickass. Irony in the circumstances in my and the previous poster's review :)

cvstrickland, May 25, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +6%

My 100th review and it is a doozy!

P- my buddy in Va Beach brought this up to me from Grape and Gourmet store.

A- Pours a crisp opaque apricot with tints of yellow. A lot of yeast rising and makes a mini-tornadoe in my beer. A nice 4 finger head overflows my pint glass.

S- A nice aroma triple. Apple spice and faint hints of banana. Faint citrus but more on the floral spice side. Yeasty and malty as well. Faint hints of alcohol round it off.

T- I can taste the banana more in the taste than i could in the smell. The banana flavor really comes out after a few sips and is a nice compliment to the floral.

M- thick and viscous and alcohol premeates my mouth. Alcohol is really prominent as the aftertaste.

D- A sipper beer and very strong. A six pack of this would be hard to put down. Two of these and i would be 'golden' for the night. a very nice triple with good flavor.

Dodo2step, May 24, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +5.3%

Pardon my first review and all, but....
A - Cloudy gold with a nice fuzzy white head and leaves only a little lace
S - Kind of apples, banana, citrus, and a little grass - nice
T - hints of apple and banana - sweet and smooth with little to no alcohol twang and light spice
M - smooth, light, and ever so slightly bubbly
D - Goes down easy and smooth and could keep going down easy and smooth all night

Blew my expectations out of the water. It reminded me of a wheat beer and didn't have any alcoholic edge to it. In a word "beautiful"

normyk, May 23, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a goblet. Pours an amber golden color similar to honey. Has an almost three finger head of fizzy champagne-like bubbles that fades to leave just a thin layer on top.

The aroma of sweet, fruity goodness dominates the nose. There is a little alcohol and just a hint of piney citrus as well. The taste is of citrus and a little banana.

The mouthfeel is very smooth, and despite its sweetness, it's not cloying at all. There is a very noticeable alcohol warmth to it, but in a good way. I would definitely have another.

daythree16, May 20, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +3%

A - Poured out a cloudy, dark gold color with a bubbly, soapy, two finger head. It left traces of lace.

S - It smelled of fruit (citrus) and some light caramel malt. Also, a slightly grassy aroma.

T - It tasted very sweet with a yeast and wheat taste. Also, a good dose of citrus and dried fruit. Some light caramel malt flavors, too.

M - It was crisp and sharp, yet smooth and easy drinking. A light to medium-bodied beer.

D - A great tripel. Comparable to St. Bernadus.

zeff80, May 19, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

750ml bottle poured into my Leffe Goblet. Pours a cloudy golden brown with two finger head. Sweet to the scent and tastes even sweeter. Highly enjoyable beverage. Another winner from Unibroue, I'm yet to taste one of their offerings that I haven't liked.

tdawgydog, May 18, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

beer pours a cloudy light orange with a large head. aroma is pretty weak, mostly just alcohol.

taste is very complex, citrus notes with some spice, bittering hops, alcohol warmth.

mouthfeel is very smooth with nice carbonation and good body.

overall, probably my favorite Tripel, a well crafter beer.

evanackerman, May 17, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours from 12oz bottle with very thick carbonated head which retained for a good amount of time. Cloudy, pale golden-orange color; overall gives the appearance of a newly opened champagne. Very nice.
Smells of a sweet/sour combination fermented yeast and cirtus with a breaded overnote.
Rich flavors of yeast, orange citrus and spiciness. Hop character is strong, which balances the yeast. Dry and astringent finish.
Dry yeast finish on the carbonation tip and hoppiness leave a tingling mouthfeel, vibrating off the middle of the tongue.
Very drinkable, one of the best tripels I have ever tasted..perhaps even richer than my original favorite from St Bernardus. Well done.

Natural510, May 16, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Bought a 750ml bottle of this down at the bottle shop. Was looking for something a little out of the ordinary, and when I compared the price of this bottle to getting a single 12oz bottle from the beer bar nearby, it was a steal.

Appearance: Cloudy, golden yellow with a nice head that left a good amount of lacing.

Smell: Fruits and spices, maybe just a hint of alcohol as well.

Taste: There's some alcohol in the finish on this one and it tends to linger, but it is not unpleasant in any way. Slightly sweet/fruity (bananas came to mind), some spices.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, goes down easy and leaves the mouth feeling refreshed.

Drinkability: This one is quite drinkable, it is refreshing and tasty. It weighs in at 9% ABV so it might sneak up on you.

Overall, a great drink. One of my favorites.

Deadstar, May 15, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

this was good beer.

A: good head, hazy blond redish.

S: typical nice aroma from a tripel,

M: felt the sweet / acohol, nice texture.

D: for the price I can see myself drinking this quite often, this is my first Unidroue experience and I think I will try other products

ledemie, May 13, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

341ml bottle
9.0% abv

I tried this beer on December 21, 2007 at "Smokeless Joe's" in Toronto. The beer poured a murkey golden brown with a generous white head. The aroma was a combinaion of malt and plums. The mouthfeel was medium bodied with high carbonation. The favour was spicy, malty, and slightly bitter.

cyrenaica, May 13, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a beautiful hazy amber with a fluffy white 1.5 finger head, which settled to a thin layer after a few sips. Leaves a smattering of lace down my Chimay goblet's interior. An amalgam of various fruits and the slightest hint of booze in the nose. Delightful pear, apple and banana notes come to the fore with the first sip, along with a bready/yeasty goodness. Taste finishes with a sparing tinge of herb. Medium viscosity gives this beer a very interesting feel...has a light creaminess to it that perfectly matches its other characteristics. 9% you say? I wouldn't believe you if I wasn't finishing up the bottle. Alcohol is wonderfully (and dangerously) masked. I don't know that I could drink a whole lot of this stuff because it's not exactly light, but it's a great pleasure to drink just one.

Morphoenix, May 11, 2008