La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a 750 ml corked and caged bottle into a Chimay chalice.

Appearance: La Fin du Monde is a beautiful, radiant orange that is fairly light in hue but still very hazy. It's crowned by a bubbly but thick two-finger head that has decent retention. The head stays around for awhile as a nice coating of the surface of the beer, probably with aid of the laser etching in my glass.

Smell: This is an extremely fruity-smelling tripel but it works well. There is a large orchard-fruit smell that consists of apple, pear and lemon and orange peel. It also has a pleasant graininess to it that smells as if it's coming from the pear. There is something, however, that causes me to associate a bit of artificiality with the scent and I suspect it may be the yeast. It's not a bad smell by any measure, but in my mind it's not authentic.

Taste: The orchard fruit are still the primary goodies in the taste but the grains are a bit more pronounced in the taste then they are in the scent. La Fin du Monde has all the essential ingredients for a tripel, but there just seems to be some indistinguishable chasm between this and a genuine Belgian example. I'm not bashing the beer, as it is very good and notably refreshing, but it has some catching up to do with other beers that were brewed in the homeland.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel in this beer is lovely for the style. It's crisp and extremely dry, which is exactly what a tripel calls for. It's not too thick and it's highly carbonated, but I have no room to grumble.

Drinkability: This is a very drinkable beer considering it's 9% ABV. I'm taking my time with this 750 ml bottle, but I'm not noticing the alcohol and am enjoying every sip of it.

Overall, La Fin du Monde, is a undoubtedly a very good example of the style, but it lacks a certain something that is present in any other Belgian tripel. It's still, however, a refreshing and interesting beer that is heavy on the fruit tastes.

3.97/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a cloudy yellow body, with a medium sized fizzy head. Aromas are herbal and fruity, with most of the aroma being the latter. Taste is fruity (citrus) with some subtle spicy notes. Some malt sweetness as well. Leaves a bit of a fruity aftertaste, which only left me wanting more. Cool bottle as always with Unibroue. 9% alcohol? Can't tell. Well done.

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

I am sitting here trying to figure out what this beer does not do for me. And all I can think is,.. . . that maybe it could have got to me more directly, and that I could have taken better care of it. With that said, it doesn't even care,. . it still shines, even though there was some dust on the one that I pulled from the deepest reaches of darkness on the display shelf at the super market. I get excited every time I get to have this beer.

Appearance- Liquid gold, with a light, frothy, 3 finger head. Dissipates slowly, but the white layer protecting the jewels never fades. I would five this beer less on appearance, but I feel the lack of lacing is because this glass has been used a couple times tonight already.

Smell- Matly, yeasty (banana, citrus and spice), earthy. It makes you want to smell it thoroughly every time before you have another sip...

Taste- Everything that your nose picks up, with a nice floral, fruit, malt backed bite. .. (do yourself a favor and try this beer at different temperatures,.. i liked it a bit colder,.. and now its coming up to about it goes from biscuit, to banana and,.. kind of complexity that I hate to try to describe, but balanced all at the same time,...

Feel- silky smooth with a slight carb bite that wakes up your taste buds.

Drinkability - I had to find something that wasn't perfect,.. I would drink this all night, but I can't afford it, and I would appear a lightweight after slamming 9%'s all night,.. but for 9%.. it's amazing.

Eh! Go Canada! Sidney Crosby! MAF!

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance - this beer looks deceptively simple. it's a lovely golden - very clear - but I can't say it would stand out just from the appearance...

Smell - only word I can come up with is "yeasty".

Taste - now this is one of the places this beer stands out. Fresh, light, but lots of flavor! This is one of those times my limited beer vocabulary will hinder me, but I know the strong flavor comes from the fermentation process. It's golden, yeasty, wonderful. Only thing I don't like quite as much is the slightly tart aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Very light, a little carbonated... normally I don't like so much carbonation but it's ideal in this beer. The light mouthfeel is one of the best things about it. I'd expect such a strong beer to have a heavier feel, but it's so deceptively light. Which leads me to...

Drinkability - This is also deceptively drinkable. I have to remind myself to sip it because it is in fact so light. You have to be careful, though, because it packs a hidden punch! Altogether one of my favorite beers!

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Served from a 25oz bottle into a wine glass.

A - Cloudy, orange shade of yellow. Huge, two-inch, pillowy white head consisting of many sized bubbles that dissipates into a 1/8 inch skim of foam that lasts. It leaves mild, unremarkable lacing, but resurrects easily with a swirl of the glass. There is steady carbonation.

S - Sweet malt, candy sugar, yeast, and citrus hops. There is a slight peach smell.

T - Candy sugar, toast, banana, and clove. The finish is slight alcohol and citrus hops, including orange and lemon. It is a relatively dry finish.

M - Medium body and lively carbonation. The carbonation is very fine. It feels silky smooth and very creamy. It is a little slick on the lips.

D - Hides the alcohol pretty well, although I still feel it. This is a refreshing drink, but I still found the 25 oz serving to be pretty filling.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

APPEARANCE:
12 oz bottle with best before date of 2-17-12. Pours a cloudy gold/orange color with a large white head.
AROMA:
Apple, pear and sugar cookie. Light spice
FLAVOR:
A blend of fruits (apple, orange, lemon, banana). Biscuity malt. Finishes with a light smooth herb/spice flavor clove, sage white pepper.
MOUTHFEEL:
Medium body. Moderate fizzy carbonation.
DRINKABILITY:
A really nice triple, fruity but not too sweet. Spicy but not over the top. It is 9% but I don't taste any alcohol. Unfortunately as the beer warms I taste more of the banana and clove. Which are not my favorite flavor.
NOTES: BBCSD-0912-Patrick

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

A- Poured into a flute. Golden straw sunny color, white frothy head that lingers for a long time as a nice 1/2 finger cap on the beer, very minimal lacing.

S- Light yeast esters, banana, mild alcohol. Fresh citrus crispness, very little hop aroma. Doesn't have as complex and forward of a smell as I was expecting for the style.

T- Really nice complexity, warmth of alcohol, depth of orange peel, ginger, banana, honey suckle, significant yeast.

M- High carbonation delivers the flavor profile well, med high body, with a distinct strong alcohol presence.

D- A nice drinkable beer for a strong triple, very good for the style, one 750ml bottle over an evening with friends with perfect.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance: Poured a cloudy wheat color into my Allagash tulip. About two fingers of thick, white head rose and dissipated to a foamy lacing.

Smell: Reminds me of summer. Deliciously yeasty, reminding me of a hefeweizen. Orange, lemon, apple, and herbs, maybe cloves. Oh, baby!

Taste: That may be the closest I come to heaven...besides when I drink hefe, that is. Follows the enticing aromas. It's yeasty goodness is complimented with flavors of orange, lemon, apple, and cloves (maybe). There's a bit of a hop bite, but the malts dominate, and it just gets better and better as it warms. (I'm really not sure why BA recommends such a cold serving temperature.)

Drinkability: Awesome. Sip the goodness.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

A Quebec classic. 750ml bottle into my brassin d'hiver tulip.

A- Dirty peach. Very hazy. Settled head is a good half inch thick. It's a little off-white and holds together like a gelatin. Lots of little bubbles rising all over the place. Continuous lacing from the top to the bottom of the glass.

S- You can definitely smell the carbonation in this. Great fruit smell. Orange, Peach, Passion fruit. The yeast in this gives a great aroma.

T- Enters the mouth with some sweet vanilla cream. Some carrot/orange cocktail. A bit salty. Leaves with mango. Clove. Really getting a mango after-taste with some clove bitterness.

M- Full bodied but light. Lots of carbonation. You could choke if you take too big of a sip and have it foam up in your mouth.

D- High. It just tastes so good. The mouthfeel just might be perfect and the alcohol taste has just enough presence.

Superb. You can stock up on this one.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

A nice offering from Unibroue! Purchased a year old so it seems ok.

A - Nice yellow hue with a decent amount of head.
S - Smells of bready malts and citrus. Decent triple.
T - Full of apple and citrus. Pretty nice.
M - Alcohol burn is pretty harsh in this on, maybe due to the age but the brew is pretty drinkable.
D - I would have this again with a newer bottle but as for now I have another bottle to look forward too.

Overall one of the best Triples I had and I only had a few.

4.11/5  rDev -4.6%

A quality beer for sure. I had read the hype and since i'm all about Tripels now, I had to try it. Allagash's Tripel is my new favorite beer, but I wanted to see how this one stacks up. I wasn't disapointed...much. The beer looked terrific, a solid golden haze with a nice tall head and tons of lacing. Promising! Well, that faded as I smelled the beer and I must say, I couldn't stand they way this one smelled. Something was strange. It was a spicy Tripel smell, but a bit too unpleasant for me. Maybe too strong? I dunno what the problem was. The taste was outstanding, second only to Allagash's. A bit more apple in the taste in this one. I really enjoyed it and it was super drinkable. With the exception of the smell, this beer was about perfect. But because I didn't care for the smell, I gotta put his one as the 2nd best Tripel out there. Highly recommended.

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

Dated: Doesn't make sence with with Unibroue says.
From LCBO, 750ml

G: Chalie

A: Hazy yellow-orange body with two fingers of white fluffy head. Moderate retention, dissipated into a thin head and leaves good lacing. Typical for the style - with the yeast mixed.

S: Citrus, yeast, wheat and banana. Great mix of flavours, all are pleasant and distinct.

T: Citrus and the wheat/yeast mixture are the most prominent. Banana and cloves follow along. Great taste, and no sense of alcohol.

M: Medium bodied and high carbonation. A very foamy texture in the mouth and leaves a sticky yeast presence. Odd aftertastes, but it goes well with the beer.

D: I'm not a huge fan of the style, but I can appreciate it. It's amazing for what it is and at an excellent price point.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz bottle served in an oversized red wine glass to capture the aroma.

A: Honey; it poured thick and effervescent but died down to a thick film with constant bubbles rushing up its middle.
S: Earthy bread with white grape and apple juice and a slight twinge of alcohol.
T: This one is sweet and laces your mouth; apple juice with a finish of earthy alcohol that slowly crisps in the mouth.
M: Ginger ale carbonation slowly wisps away the syrup mouthfeel.
D: Very high, especially considering the heavy 9% alcohol by volume standing.

Overall, this is a great tripel. Its light, sweetened taste masks the hefty alcohol.

4.7/5  rDev +9%

When I first bought this beer at the store, I thought it would have a very strong taste due to the high alchool content. WRONG! This beer is like a Leffe Blond, but 40X better! It is a bit sweet, nice smell, good carbonation! This is simply a wonderful beer to have! WARNING: Do not drink it too fast! ----I would definitely recommend this beer to a friend!

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%

2/10/10

Unibroue
La fin Du Monde
Belgian style tripel
ABV 9%

A= 4.5 Large long lasting lively frothy white head

S= 4.5 Light hops on the nose with a great floral presence. Hits of citrus and yeast

T=4.0 Very lively on the tongue, Citrus hops with ester taste and a light floral presence even on the palate.

F=4.5 Great feel. Very refreshing with a light hop backing. No alcohol presence which is impressive at 9%

D=5.0 Great great beer with great carbonation. Drink 3 of these and I'd be done for sure.

3.48/5  rDev -19.3%

A: Nothing too special in this department. A urine yellow color with a decent white head that quickly fades

S: Smell a citrus, piney scent off the bat. Malts in the middle and a slight hop scent on the backend. Not getting too much special off of his brew.

T: Wow, this one surprised me in a bad way. After seeing some of the reviews, I was really gunning for this one. Tastes like citrus apple flavored sparkling water. Not much else going on.

M: Very smooth with a hint too much carbonation, but still very good in this category.

D: This one is exceptionally drinkable mainly because it tastes like a sparkling water and not like a beer.

All in all, this brew disappointed me. If you like a refreshing beer comparable to sparkling water, then this is for you. If you like heavy hops or malts, then this one might not be for you. Good to try at least once to give it a chance, but otherwise, I do not recommend.

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 (11.2?) oz bottle on the Winking Lizard beer tour. Drinking this felt like visiting an old friend - I see time has treated you well, buddy! This is one of the beers that made my palatte grow 2 sizes bigger after drinking - it really opened my eyes to the pleasant ways Belgian yeast can add to a beer.

A vigorous pour minus the sediment into an open mouthed glass. Straw color with a nice fluffy white head that sticks around.

Smell is great - yeast gives scents of banana, orange, and sweet malt.

Taste is almost perfect. This is a quinessential Belgian beer with orange flavors, yeasty esters, mild earthy spices like clove, and belgian candy sugar all make an appearance.

Mouthfeel is the only point that isn't exceptional as it's too lively carbed. I know a triple should have a fresh, bottle conditioned carb profile but this is just a bit too carbed and mildly distracting.

Overall, this was amazingly drinkable, refreshing, and wonderful. A great beer!

4.64/5  rDev +7.7%

I've had some less than stellar experiences from unibroue, though through no fault of the brewery (I failed to check the dates on a sampler pack I had bought) and so, even after checking to make sure this one wasn't expired; I purchased the bottle with a bit of subconcious aprehension.

I'm glad I did.

Poured a cloudy orange amber color with a nice cap of white head.

The smell is orange citrus, bread, and spice. The taste is sweet, everything in the nose is in the mouth except for the boogers; add a bit of clove to the taste as well. The 9% alcohol is masked well; this is probably easier to drink than it should be.

Such a smooth beer, glad to have tried it; will definately try again.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

I've read nothing but good things about this beer, so obviously I had to try it. Into my Guinness glass it goes.

A - Hazy golden/ orange body with a thin, compact white head that fades rather quickly, but stays around in patches.

S - Citrus and fruit, hints of bitter hops at the end.

T - VERY MILD. No hint of harsh alcohol at all. Hints of citrus fruits, such as orange, lemons, even some hints of strawberries.

M - Crisp and refreshing. A perfect balance of carbonation and smoothness. Very nice.

D - Dangerously drinkable. One of this beer's best attributes, in my opinion, is that there is absolutely no trace of an unpleasant aftertaste.

3.43/5  rDev -20.4%

Tasted at a little beer tasting I did with myself.

The appearance is golden yellow with a very crisp head. The head starts our at two fingers with an aggressive pour, but very soon leaves through the backdoor and takes all of its belongings with it. It is a clear brew, but is lighter in color.

The smell is of bready yeasts and very crisp hops. Their is some malt background in their as well but it all takes a backseat to the yeast.

The taste is of bready and Belgian yeasts with a slight malt background. It has a very crisp lavender and clove flavor that is brought up by the yeasts. Lighter in all aspects of the tastes than other Tripels I have had.

The mouthfeel is of strong carbonation and smooth finish. This is a refreshing drink, but not incredibly tasty. I would prefer St B.'s Tripel to this one.

J

4.7/5  rDev +9%

A: Beautiful pale orange, with effervescence utterly filling the area of the glass. Bubbles rise to the surface in rapid unison like diving beetles gasping for...more La Fin Du Monde? I've read some other reviews on this brew, and a few folks mention a lack of head and/or lacing. I am having the opposite experience. My glass is coated in lace, and there is still 1/4 inch head left after 15 minutes.

S: The first whiff made my mouth water. That's always a good sign. Belgian yeast, clove, oranges, banana, spices, citrus. There's a lot going on here, for sure.

T: Absolutely delicious. Incredibly complex, this is one of my my go to beers. Spices and citrus blended beautifully, followed by warming alcohol. There is a yeasty, bread-like quality that I enjoy very much.

M: So smooth. Great carbonation level. Alcohol blended in perfectly.

D: So tasty and easy to drink, I could drink this all night...and the next...and the next. The 9% alcohol, while not overwhelming, will sneak up on you in a hurry.

Notes: This beer is world class and very accessible. One of my all time favorites.

4.57/5  rDev +6%

pours a hazy, light orange with a two finger, frothy white head with impressive lace. smells pungent and tart. fruit, ginger, cloves, and spices, especially banana. the taste is lively with champagne carbonation. coriander, sweet honey, yeasty and grainy. citrus lemon, with an amazing hop backround. One of the best belgiums i've had to date.

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Big mousse-like, creamy white head on top a mildly hazy golden body.

Fruitiness abounds in both aroma and flavor, with soft and subtle notes of pear, citrus, and plum. Finishes dry with a note of spice and clove. Creamy, soft, and almost fluffy on the palate. Quite complex, yet gentle. Malt and hops are merely a canvas on which the yeast create their masterpiece.

An excellent Tripel, maybe one of the top 3 brewed in the world.

4.51/5  rDev +4.6%

This is another one of my favorite beers. It is also a staple around my house.

Poured into a tulip it has a beautiful golden yellow color with a white head and beautiful lacing. This is a good lookin beer.

Smells of cloves and bubblegum/banana. Everything you would expect in a tripel style.

Taste is of pepper and spice notes. Not a lot of this but it's there. Very smooth and tasty. Little bit of clove and spice/noble hops.

Mouthfeel is great with a high carb that is perfect for the style.

Overall I LOVE this beer. I am so glad this is so widely avaliable and I can even get it at my local grocery store. I have had this many times and plan on having it many more.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a hazy yellow with a big thick head that lasts.

Smells sweet and malty with a hint of banana.

The taste is very similar to the smell, very fruity and a touch of hops.

Full bodied but enough carbonation to smooth it all out.

Very refreshing beer and you don't notice the 9% one bit.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue