La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
beckje01

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

A- amber with lots of activity, plenty of white head.

S- A crisp floral smell, very inviting.

T- Light sweet with fruit notes and some malt comes out as well.

M- Crisp and bubbly feeling just something I want to drink.

D- Easy and refreshing, I will pick this up sometime next summer.

10-30-2006 05:17:30 | More by beckje01
Phocion

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

First time reviewing an old favorite. Pours from the 750ml bottle into a Duvel tulip a pale clody golden-yellow with a thick bubbly white head. Excellent retention.

Nose is strong yeast, very fruity (bananas, peaches, lemons), and spicy. Slight alcohol aroma is also detectable.

Very citrusy and mildly hopped. There's a whole bouquet of fruit flavors - banana, peach, lemon, orange peel, and apricot along with a nice helping of wheat and spices. Why can't all Canadian beers taste like this?

Very crisp citric mouthfeel with a subtle warming sensation from the alcohol. Very palatable and drinkable, the only hinderince being the strong ABV. Excellently crafted and balanced; it's brews like this that make brewing seem like a true art form.

10-28-2006 03:39:43 | More by Phocion
scarletfire79

New Hampshire

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

wow. my first unibroue and i'm hooked. very very smooth. creamy with citrus notes. bannana and clove. all good things. love it, but not as much as i love having 3 more in the fridge. not overly familiar with the style. i was really suprised at the alcohol content. it's extremely smooth for being 9%.

10-27-2006 01:32:15 | More by scarletfire79
TastyTaste

4.88/5  rDev +13%

Appearance: Clear darker gold color, well carbonated. Head is massive when poured into a tulip, and very resilient.

Smell: Rich and malty, lightly fruity and very, very yeasty. Lemon zest and other fruit are very pleasing.

Taste: Wow, it's been a while since I have had this beer, and I forgot how good it is. The rich, malty, yeasty flavor is gigantic. Slightly soft, but also enhanced with alcohol. Excellent.

Drinkability: One of the best in the style, good work, Unibroue.

10-20-2006 19:13:37 | More by TastyTaste
Ivanthehero

Georgia

4.68/5  rDev +8.3%

This is my second favorite beer ever. Aventinus wins by and eylash

Pours a beautiful mix of golden orange and red in my stolen La Fin Du Mond tulip.

Smell-sweet citrus fruits and orange candy.

Taste-orange and lemon elements that make this both sweet and slightley tart at the finish. Hold on, I'm letting it warm up a little. Mmmm, nice balance with the malt backbone and a toungue tingaling spice kick as the flavors exit stage left. This beer just makes me all warm and happy.

Mouthfeel-I am a sucker for those little toungue tickling bubbles. There is also a juiceyness that I haven't seen since wiehstephaner's hefe. Each sip makes your mouth water for more.

Drinkability-I really enjoy just sipping this beer for several reasons. One, the carbonation is really nice, but only for sipping, and two, the beer changes from a refreshing citrus quencher when cold to a sweet/spicey body warmer as it heats up.

I wish I could drink this everyday.

10-13-2006 05:51:07 | More by Ivanthehero
dough

4.88/5  rDev +13%

Poured one from a 750ML Corked Bottle that I have held onto for close to a year. Used a tulip shaped glass.
Pretty nice head with good carbonation. Nice aroma with hints of bannana. Now for the first taste of the night. I find this to have a nice fruity character with a slight warming aftertaste. I really am surprised by the 9% ABV. This beer hides it 's strength well. Very pleasant mouthfeel for this brew. Overall this is an excellent beer that I highly recommend.

10-12-2006 01:24:56 | More by dough
Photo of

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

12oz. bottle.

Decanted into the glass as a hazy golden liquid with a large, rocky white head.

Aroma was all that we love about Belgians -- clove and other spices, mild citrusy hops, earthy/barnyard type smell. Other notes included a sugary-bubblegum sweetness and pears.

Taste was primarily sweet - apples and pears. An alcohol/phenol flavor was present, which stopped just short of being medicinal. A bread/yeasty flavor was in there as well. Final notes were spicy and peppery with some hop bitterness in the finish.

Body was medium and the beer was well carbonated. The texture was almost slick. Finish was quite dry, and the alcohol warming comes on very quickly.

Overall, an excellent beer. Way too easy to drink given it's ABV.

10-09-2006 19:21:16 | More by
BlackJeremiah

4.75/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter.

A: Lemon/golden color, with a bubbling, lacing, seething head. Looks downright volatile. Head calms to a thick cap of bubbly foam.

S: Green apple cider, incredible fruity scents, citrics, and bready smells. Seems deliciously over-the-top, heralding the power of the brew (9% ABV)

T: Light and fruity start, bolstered by the onset of thick, creamy, rich blond malts. These build, tempered by a slight citric hop character, through the finish, which shows peppery alcohol notes. A well-crafted, exquisite flavor profile.

M: Effervescent, light and refreshing. Crisp citrus and green apple tease the palate, creamy malts comfort it.

D: A great Belgian Pale, with phenomenal fruity character and fantastic balance.

10-08-2006 22:08:13 | More by BlackJeremiah
gonzo138

Arizona

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

A- pours into tulip a nice golden color, rich white foamy head which both laces and retains very well

S- sweet aroma, very spiced smell, with some fruity apple/citrus notes present as well

T- Goes along with smell, spicey taste, also apple-ish flavor very present, almost a carmel like sweetness, not the malty kind either, one I cant quite describe, but very good

M- nice smooth taste, very good carbonation, a bit sticky in the mouth as well

D- a very drinkable beer, especially for one with a 10% abv, could drink quite a few of them before noticing how drunk you are

10-04-2006 07:28:03 | More by gonzo138
malcontent

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

Fin du Monde produces a huge, frothy head which barely moves throughout the drink’s lifespan. In fact, I can HEAR the head as its superlative bubbles foam & pop atop the deep orange/golden, cider-like body! An exquisite looking beer.

Scents are subdued, with faint traces of white Muscat grapes, apples & yeast. Pleasant, but not on par with the rest of this brew’s lofty presentation.

Subtle fruit sweetness with generous spice notes (clove) & dry white wine characteristics. Extremely tasty.

Perfect texture with spot-on carbonation & a wonderfully balanced body. All put together, this is a dangerously drinkable beverage although that is at least held in check by its powerful 9% ABV. The best I’ve had from Unibroue thus far.

10-03-2006 14:22:01 | More by malcontent
jasonjlewis

Appearance: Great head and retention. Head was huge.
Smell: Smells of apples, very nice firm smell. Very very apealing
taste: Smooth, crisp, apple and fruity esters going on. Oh man, this beer is heaven. 9% alcohol? drinks like a 5 or 6 %. WOW
Mouthfeel: Crisp, especially for an ale. very refreshing.
Drinkability: One of the easiest beers to drink ever. WOW!

This is the epitome of a great beer. I don't think it could get any better. WOW!

10-01-2006 07:28:33 | More by jasonjlewis
Brewlore

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Served from a 750ML bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden color with a nice thick white head that slightly settles down to a small head.

S: Smells a bit fruity with some spicy and sweet overtones and the scent of malts lingering around.

T: Very carbonated drink here. Has a nice little bite to it with a slightly sweet citrusy and yeasty flavors. Leaves a bit of a bitter bite on the palate towards the end of the swig.

M: Excellent mouthfeel. Feels very lively and carbonated on the tongue and leaves your mouth a little dry.

D: Very drinkable in my opinion. The potency and excellent melding of flavors make this particular brew very easy to drink. Not to heavy and not to light, it nailed the right combination.

10-01-2006 04:24:56 | More by Brewlore
bgraney

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Hazy, light honey color
Active, rich bubbly head.
Very aromatic; fruits and raisins.
Full flavored, a lot going on. A very nice blend of malty fruitiness.
Settles on the front of the tongue, doesn't expand to the back or into the nose.
Very drinkable for the style, I was ready for a second glass.

09-26-2006 18:37:53 | More by bgraney
JohnnyM2002

Maryland

4.55/5  rDev +5.3%

A - Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter at 45 degrees; a beautiful cloudy orangish/peach with a quickly-dissipating foamy head. A color I haven't really seen before.

S - Spiced alcohol is the background for a malty apricot/orange aroma.

T - Wonderful start of apricot and spice (ginger, cloves, maybe some cinnamon) eventually leads to a floral banana taste; finally finishes strong with a very warming alcohol and spice feel. Complex blend of flavor but it comes together very nicely - alcohol doesn't dominate the taste.

M - Exceptional warming, alcohol feel with a nice bubbly kick.

D - I wouldn't want to drink more than one at a time - not because of the alcohol, but because I wouldn't want to ruin the moment. Extremely drinkable and a complex taste lead to one of my favorite yearround brews.

09-26-2006 02:25:47 | More by JohnnyM2002
BretSikkink

Mexico

4.88/5  rDev +13%

Pours bubbly head two inches high into Fin du Monde tulip, dissipates steadily. Nice hazy golden-orange color. Really attractive. Nice yeasty nose as well, full-bodied and a little spicy.

The alcohol is apparent - extremely welcome however. What a beautiful taste, the unique yeast strain, balanced malt and hops and a slight tartness. The spicing is just perfect. It has the drinkability of a thirst-quenching witbier in a very complex, gourmet beer. This could be enjoyed with about any dish you'd like: strong enough to stand with aged cheese but smooth and quaffable enough to enjoy with fish or a salad. After a few sips gets a peppery aftertaste.

09-22-2006 01:17:54 | More by BretSikkink
JOaikido

Quebec (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

341 ml bottle

A- Pale orangy amber colour with swirls of yeast as I poor it in. Bubbling like crazy. Nice off-white head of medium-large bubbles. Head has good durability.

S- Yeast with fruit and spice. Alcohol more and more noticeable as it warms.

T- That great Unibroue yeast/fermentation flavour. Overrripe fruit (but good). Alcohol present but not overpowering. Warm spicy aftertaste that lingers with a bit of bitterness mixed in.

MF- Carbonation a bit high initially. Round feel in the mouth. Soft, no water feel at all.

D- Despite strong yeast presence and high ABV, this is one of the easiest beers on lees to drink. I know from experience in my youth as I would split a six pack with a friend and get quite drunk. For the moment, enjoying a single beer with my meal and feeling great!

09-21-2006 23:41:50 | More by JOaikido
lpayette

Vermont

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance- A very cider-like color. Tons of carbonation. So much so that it bubbled out of the bottle opon opening.

Smell- Sugary candy, phenolic aromas, medicinal notes, ripe fruit, and very well hidden alcohol.

Taste- Very belgian all around... Most of the flavors seem to be a result of the yeast which is apparently an amazing strain. Clove/banana. Nothing stands out in particular, but all the flavors meld together nicely. Only a very small hint of alcohol. yeasty.

final verdict- very enjoyable. Alcohol is well hidden.

09-18-2006 06:21:08 | More by lpayette
jsimon816

Maryland

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: An Autumn orange with a nice tight head.

Smell: Floral scent with herb overtone

Taste: fruity taste which mellowed out nicely

Mouthfeel: pleasant foamy taste, full of flavor

An exellent pairing with strong flavored cheese. As reviewer prior stated, didn't have the aftertaste of high alcohol content.

09-17-2006 23:37:48 | More by jsimon816
6470zzy

3.45/5  rDev -20.1%

This beer was a 12 ounce bottle from a 4 pack purchased from Kappy's Liqours in Falmouth MA. $8.99 for the 4 pack.

Appearance: It reminded me exactly of a cloudy clover honey,the golden color was quite beautiful. The bottle was a borderline "gusher" and produced a monster fluffy white head.

Smell: Slightly floral with hints of herb.

Taste: What really hit me was the sweetness of this brew, once again the honey analogy. The aftertaste had a hint of mint and a very slight hop which was very slight in my opinion. I had no burn from the 9% alcohol, in fact had I not know from reading the bottle I wouldnt have believed it.

Mouthfeel: Creamy would about sum it up nicely I should think, creamy and smooth.

Notes: Overall a fine beer, I dont think I would want to partake in multiples of this one in a session though, not for the alcohol content mind you , but more for the pervading sweetness of the drink. I tasted none of the tartness that some of the other reviewers detected however I still have 3 brews to go so I shall update the review as needed.

09-17-2006 22:20:34 | More by 6470zzy
depechemode1983

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

Serving Type - 12oz bottle

Apperance - Dark golden cloudy pale color. Nice White head with little to no lacing

Smell - Cloves and spices. Kinda sour smell lingers a little.

Taste - CLOVES! tasted just like it smelled. also light fruit peach flavor. and i can tasted a little banana. very pleasant mild alc taste. hidden well for 9%abv.

Mouthfeel - Excellent Carbonation nice thick mouthfeel

Note - One of the greatest beers i have had to date. Very complex taste. I enjoyed this beer from start to finish. Worth evey penny i paid for it. Highly Recommended.

09-17-2006 21:22:50 | More by depechemode1983
Mebuzzard

Colorado

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%

A hazy yellow pour with red and orange tints. Big head, foaming, a bit chunky, clings great to side of glass and forms an inverted 'U'. Some sediment floating around, no biggie.
Aroma had alcohol at first, then citrus and biscuit, glazed donut, maybe some ginger.
Taste was rich; sweet like sugar cane/rum, citrus undertones like orange, some pear and a complex mix of herbs.
Felt a bit oily or waxy, a little burn, but that's a good thing.
Very drinkable if you want a good beer to enjoy the whole experience of drinking beer. Not good for a six pack during a ball game and nachos.

09-16-2006 15:55:51 | More by Mebuzzard
instrumentality

3.8/5  rDev -12%

The consensus around here seems to be that Unibroue is the greatest brewery to come out of Canada. Some have even said it's the best brewery on the continent. With that motivation, I've tried several of their brews, each time being highly disappointed by the same unappealing [what I call] "clovey" flavor.

Here, now, I've reached what many consider the be all, end all of Unibroue: La Fin Du Monde. I have low expectations, so I can't be disappointed, and I have to give myself at least a little bit of credit for being willing to give them another shot despite past experience.

The only indication I found regarding the age of this bomber was a "best before" date of 03-14-09. I should be safe.

I gave this beer the royal treatment by pouring it into my favorite glass, a Stone IRS tulip glass. It poured a clear but very bubbly golden hue, but almost half of the glass was filled by a fluffy white head that settled to no less than half its original height, clinging to the sides of the glass.

I let it settle several feet away from me as I sat back on the couch and began to type, and I could still smell its powerful aromas. The initial and most powerful scent was sweet but hard to identify...not quite fruity, closer to floral, but almost like eucalyptus leaves. Mixed in with this was a bit of lemon and, just beneath the surface...uh oh...cloves. At this point, though, the cloves were not offensive.

Overall, a strong, pleasant aroma, but with no really compelling features.

Drumroll...

I took my first sip.

...and it was almost an entirely different experience from what I expected from the odors. Primarily malty, the sweetness turned to a sort of carob with a persistent but mild aftertaste. I could also feel the tingly burning sensation of clove (and maybe 2/3 of that 9% ABV), but it was not overpowering, at least not initally.

A swirl, another sniff, and another sip. Banana. More carob. A little burning at the finish, but again, not enough to scare me away.

If I were rating taste based on this beer vs. other Unibroue beers, I'd give it a 5. But since I'm rating to style and to my personal preferences, I'm giving it a 3.5. It's definitely drinkable, and I can't say I dislike it, but given the ever-growing number of beers I truly enjoy and the nearly infinite number of beers I've yet to try, I probably won't be laying down any more dough for this brew again any time soon.

09-16-2006 00:48:10 | More by instrumentality
tattooedtolley

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

I'll keep this one short as I am not the most experienced with the style. First think I notice is the brilliant yellow color of this beer. Immediately following the visual came the incredible aroma. This thing has so much going on in the aroma department its mind blowing. Tons of fruit and spice aromas all over the place.

The taste was just as complex with every sip finding something new about it. The alcohol is in there somewhere but is pretty unnoticable which makes it really drinkable for this big of a beer.

While I am not very experienced with the style, I liked it for what it was, a new experience and an obviously well crafted beer. I can't say I am hooked on the style or this beer but it makes for an interesting tasting experience. I will be trying this again down the road. To rate this beer, I am rating it based on the very little I know and how I enjoyed the experience. The fact that this thing has aroma and flavors all over the place scores hi with me, it is certainly multi-deminsional.

09-14-2006 16:34:41 | More by tattooedtolley
kenito799

3.93/5  rDev -9%

750ml bottle, best before 2-21-08, poured into a Duvel glass

Gorgeous cloudy golden color, frothy white head leaves some lace, disspiates leaving about 1/3 inch.

Fresh, herbal, grassy aroma, coriander.

Wow, the active fine carbonation creates a fantastically creamy mouthfeel. Utterly addictive, I want to keep drinking more and more...

So crisp and fresh on first tatse, wondeful sweetness spreads across the tongue but balanced perfectly by bracing tanginess...mild hoppy bitterness in the long long finish...but never an overwhelming IPA hophead-type bitterness, an invigorating beautiful interplay of bitter, sweet, refreshing...the 9% alcohol is almost impossible to believe let alone detect...you want to keep drinking and drinking this until...the end of the world!!!

Easily one of the best beers I have had. WHY don't I have more in my fridge right now!

edit 10/17/08: Very interesting to try this after much more beer tasting experience. Still a great beer, but have tasted many better sunce I wrote the review. The flaw here is that the brew is too sweet. I have adjusted my ratings today.

09-13-2006 00:39:51 | More by kenito799
diamondc

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

Maybe the best beer I've had so far since discovering craft beers. Smells like banana, cloves, and some apricot, but this is definetly the most complex beer I've tasted. I first tasted pineapple.. apricots.. bubblegum.. sour apples.. then the medium hop-y bitterness hit me. I didn't taste any alcohol until I was almost finished with the bottle. Drinkability is high - I seriously could go for another one, but I'll be passed out on the floor mid-way through. The alcohol is very well-hidden.

09-11-2006 05:20:23 | More by diamondc