La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

Well, if it is indeed la fin du monde (the end of the world), I can die happy.

I've been a big fan of Unibroue beers for awhile, but had limited myself to their lighter and their less-challenging fare until I tried this one.

I loved this beer from the moment I poured it. It came out golden and a bit cloudy but still bright. It was effervescent and posessed a thick, dense head that had incredible staying power.

It had a citrus smell to me, and my dinner guests said it had a "fruity" smell. I thought it actually smelled a bit like champagne. I don't know if it's intended to have the same orange notes Hoegaarden is so known for, but it certainly smelled like it to me.

The taste started sweet and finished crisp and clean. I could taste malt, but not really a lot of hops. It felt incredibly lively in the mouth and was a pleasure to drink from beginning to end. Easily, this is one of the best beers I've ever had.

vanrassel, Feb 06, 2006
4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured a light foamy and highly carbonated brew from my 750ml bottle. Unibroue always gives you away with their highly malty smell. Taste was rather sweet with ripe apples in the palate. Incredible smooth going down; fairly light body. I could drink this all night as it compares to a fine champagne. An excellent beer to toast with. Alcohol is very warming.

dreadnatty08, Feb 06, 2006
3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

Corked 750ml bottle-best before 02-21-08. Popped this sucker open and poured a nice light GOLD ale with tons of tight carbonation bubbles, forming a white creamy, frothy thick, two finger head (with good retention). Nice thick lacing as well.

Initial smell was of stong malt, sweet then a light yeasty aroma. let it sit a minute or so and the smell is of citrus,a tinge of alcohol backed by a more musty yeast finish.

First taste was sweet citrus and earthy with a clean smooth rinse finish, very refreshing.After that much the same with a bit of musty yeast taste, very Belgian Trappist like.Quite drinkable.

In the mouth was smooth into fizzy, mild alcohol presence and tons (almost too much) of carbonation. Bottle implies triple fermentation... very apparent with this kind of carbonation,looks impressive though.

No problem puttin this stuff away, I mean consuming. It's not my first and doubt it will be my last...cheers!

scottoale, Feb 03, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was one of the first I had from the BA top 100 list, and it always is a pleasure to revisit. I decided tonight I would finally give it its due and review it.

Pours a hazy orange brown with a rocky white head that stands about two inches tall. This fades into a thick creamy centimeter of head that refuses to go away.

The smell is a mix of citrus, candy sugar and slightly bitter hops. Very nice and full.

After 600+ reviews, what more can be said about the taste of this beer? It is perfectly balanced, it has the sweet and the bitter, the dry and tart. Others out there are better at picking out the individual flavours, so I'll just leave it at that.

Mouthfeel is smooth and thick. The carbonation is substantial, but comfortable. This one is also deceptively easy to drink. It doesn't let on that it carries a big alcohol punch, until you've put down a bottle or two.

All in all I'd say it is one of the best beers available to me, and always a safe bet if I don't know which beer I want on a given night.

elricorico, Feb 03, 2006

12oz. bottle

Pours a hazy straw color with a big, fluffy, white head that endures. Thick lacing on the glass.

Very bready aroma with some nice fruitiness and corriander scents. Smells fantastic!

A slightly sweet maltiness upfront with a monster breadiness that follows. This is offset by a nice fruitiness and corriander flavor which then finishes slightly sweet. A bit of alcohol is present at the very end.

Ample carbonation, creamy texture.

This is insanely drinkable for 9.0% ABV. I must have been insane to only buy one bottle!

MaltyGoodness, Feb 03, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

Unibroue has done themselves proud again with this magnifisent product.
A hazy golden amber with a full crown of two+ fingers, mountainous glass cling and medium carbonation.
The body is just short of being full.
The aroma is of spice, citrus and yeast and floral hops.
The taste has a tart lemon like beginning mixed with a spicy secondary, the taste is a little short and dry but no real evidence of the high ABV.
Very nice.

Shiloh, Feb 03, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

This beer pours a cloudy straw yellow with a huge, thick, fluffy, white head. The head fades very slowly, leaving a massive amount of laces.

This beer has a spicy aroma up front. Behind that, I detect an earthy yeasty aroma. I can also detect soem lemon and orange peal. Floral hops are also slightly detectable.

This beer has a spicy flavor. Allspice and coriander. It also has a cirtus zest to it. It is slightly sour. I detect lemon. It has a slight yeasty taste also. Hop bitterness is low, but noticable.

This beer goes down smooth, leaving a spicy citruslike aftertaste. This beer is carbonated well for the style.

This beer might not be a great session beer. The alcohol content is a little high. The flavor, though, is great, and not overly aggressive. This beer is definately worth a few tries.

OStrungT, Feb 01, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Served in a Unibroue snifter glass at Twains in Decatur, GA. Pours a hazy orange / yellow color with a massive sudsy white head (2+ inches). Impressive lacing that curtains the entire glass as I drink. The beer has a Spicy (cloves & nutmeg) and citrus fruit aroma, very nice. A gentle but full flavor of citrus and cloves with a very carbonated mouth feel. The taste includes some bread and banana notes as well. This is a really good beer. Everything I have had from Unibroue has been a smash hit.

TheEclecticGent, Jan 30, 2006
4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

Ap: Looks a little thin at first and the head wasn't really up to snuff. Medium head with some decent lacing. But that was really all there was to it.

Smell: Cotton Candy, Orange Citrus and Spice. All three of the smells are distinct and mix well with each other.

Taste: Blends the orange, sugar and spice just right. Mouth feel is smooth smooth smooth.

Drinkability: I usually share all my great finds with my friends. I was so impressed with this beer I think I will hoard this to myself. It is that good.

Notes: Please pick this up if you see it in the store. You will be glad you did.

maddamish, Jan 30, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a buoyant head, nice cloudy appearance (I didn't shake the bottle) with tiny yeast floaters dancing around.

The smell is the best part of this one. It's complex: citrus, pear, fresh-baked bread and some floral hops in the background. Spicy too. Awesome.

The flavor is tart, sweet and tangy, which is fine but made a bit too dominant by the abundant carbonation. The bubbles could be less intense, it kind of masks the flavor. Mellow bitterness in the aftertaste. Subtle yeasty funk (in a good way). For the style, it's just too effervescent, dangerously close to being a beer soda than a beer (I have the same problem with Unibroue's Ephemere).

Mouthfeel: vibrant and tingly. You can guess why.

Despite the problems, it's highly drinkable if this style of beer is a favorite, but it's got nothing on the true Belgians in this style. I prefer the top-notch Maudite or Trois Pistoles when it comes to Unibroue.

Metalmonk, Jan 29, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: BIG, fluffy white head. Pale golden yellow in color, with sticky foaming, cascading, spider-web like lacing.
S: Exotic fruit and spice-mostly coriander and spice, with scents of candy and tart fruit/peel. Also a very faint hint of vanilla/almond in background. Also hop presence up front.
T: Spicy and alcohol presence at first that becomes more subtle at end of sip. Exotic fruits and rind and peel, candy and yeast present also. Apricot flavors come out as it warms as well as flavors of fruit rind. Bit of hops on the back bone.
MF-medium with mouth filling carbonation that ends slightly dry.
Overall- An excellent brew, but watch out the 9% abv will get you. Quality brew that is a staple in any beer lovers fridge. A fantastic brew!

Illinick, Jan 26, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours hazy golden yellow with chunks of yeast debris. Head is huge white and fluffy.

Smell is citrus, sweet fruit, yeast, and spices.

Taste is fresh and fruity with pepper and coriander spiciness. A touch of malt and hops bring a nice dry finish. Flavor is complex and well balanced. High alcohol content is well concealed but does present a slight astringency that lingers on the tongue.

Mouthfeel is light and very drinkable.

This is a very intersting and enjoyable brew. Unibroue has another winner here.

Blakaeris, Jan 25, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

12 oz bottle that needs to be consumed before 5/7/07. I bought a four pack and plan on drinking them about 5 months apart in order to compare the flavors. Poured into a pint glass

A—cloudy golden pale yellow, 1 ½ inch head that leaves a nice lacing as it dissipates

S—fruity with a little touch of vanilla and some peppery tones; a little bit of banana as well

T—marvelous! Sweet with nice malt/yeast flavor. A little vanilla aftertaste taste as well

M—smooth and mellow, the carbonation is very present, but not over powering.

D—It will be a challenge to wait to drink the other 3….I love this beer and want to drink all four right now.

hanco005, Jan 25, 2006

1-24-06
Since I had such a bad review last time, I thought that I would try this one again...but a fresher example this time (Best before 10-13-08). The last time I thought I would try an expired one...not such a good idea. So here I go.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orange golden color with a pillowy white head that was over an inch thick after a slow pour. The head was falling within a minute or so to be sustained by the bubbles rising. There is no real lacing on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: I got some really bready aromas while I was pouring the beer from the bottle. Now that the head has faded a touch, you can pick up a bunch of fresh citrus aromatics. This citrus is hanging out with some spicy aromas that I am still learning to identify. I smell Lavender and what I believe is a coriander aroma. There is a good bit of hop in this one that really gives the beer a fresh edge. This is definitely one to be drank fresh. As the beer warms, the citrus fades a bit to let the floral and spiciness start to contribute more. The beer stays pretty bready the entire time.

Taste: There is a lot going on in the flavor. The beer starts out with a defined sweetness, but you can't pick this up for long as the carbonation takes over and leaves a super foamy mess to try to swallow. Gee whiz...I guess I am "swirling" less next time. There is a pretty significant hop presence in here that is another point to drinking it fresh. The finish is pretty dry with enough body to let you know that you just drank a serious beer. Very late in the finish, there is a soothing warming in the stomach that sticks around for quite some time. As the beer warms up, the alcohol gets quite a bit more noticeable and the entire flavor profile takes on more of a spicy edge.

Opinion: Well, I can definitely say that this beer needs to be drank fresh. I am thinking that the date on the bottle is optimistic. I am a bit unclear as to the distinction between a Belgian Pale Ale and a Tripel. I think that this is more of a Tripel...but I know those a bit better than the Pale Ales. With Duvel in the Pale Ale category on this site...I would tell you not to expect anything that tastes like that beer. This is more of a Tripel, and a nice one at that.

8-18-05
The bottle had a "best before" date of 07-05-04...so this is one of the main reasons that I bought it at 9%ABV.

Appearance: The beer poured almost completely clear with a few super tiny "floaties". There was about 1/4 inch head at first pour that fell pretty quickly to a very small layer held together only by the bubbles rising.

Aroma: Some citrusy hops in the nose at first pour. There are Lemons and Oranges noticeable specifically, along with some spiciness from the alcohol I presume. There is a tad of sherry here that I believe is from its age.

Taste: The taste has a lot more to offer than the aroma. It has some sweet citrus that you notice in the beginning that is backed up by a slight Sulfury note. There isn't a lot of candy noticeable in this beer, and it finishes tasting well attenuated. I wish that there was the same assertive carbonation that you get with other examples.

Opinion: Well, maybe I made a mistake buying an older example of this beer. I was hoping that it would have gained in complexity and effervescence...adding a bit of tart and a bit drier finish. What I have instead is an undercarbonated and slightly Oxidized Tripel. It still tastes pretty good, and I imagine that a fresh one would make all of the difference to me. I will definitely try this beer again, but I will be looking for a fresher example next time.

A = 3.5
S = 4.0
T = 4.0
M = 3.0
D = 3.5

SkeeterHawk, Jan 25, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +6%

This beer poured a pale hazy amber color, with a foamy head about two finger-widths in height. Ther aroma was light and slightly fruity. The taste was mildly fruity, with a definite spicyness. only mildly bitter and quite smooth. this was a very drinkable beer and i enjoyed it very much.

geetlord, Jan 24, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

A: This is by far the lightest (in color and body) of Belgian Strong Darks that have really impressed me. Generally, I like this style big, full, and caliginous. La Fin du Monde on the other hand is a brilliant incandescent gold with a nice amount of lively haze and a super sticky white head.

S: Fetching clementine and banana aromas dominate, followed by cloves and medicinal phenyls.

T: Spicy citrus. Pear and mango enter the mix. Clove flavors continue.

MF: Smooth and creamy with kicking carbonation.

Drinkabity is extreme considering the ABV.

DaPeculierDane, Jan 20, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured a hazy golden color into an oversized wine glass, thick and foamy white head exhibits nice retention before slowly giving way to heavy lacing. Smells of malts and spices, citrus, yeasty bread, slight sting of alcohol present on the nose. Tastes absolutely incredible, hits with citrus and hops first, then a little fruiter, banana flavor present some, finishing a little on the yeasty side with the malt flavor and a slight bite from the 9% abv that is easily forgotten when drinking this lighter ale. Mouthfeel is slick and moderately carbonated. Drinkability the lowest point of this brew, and although suprisingly light and refreshing as this ale is, still has far too complex of a taste and too high of an abv to want to just drink any more than two or three of these exsquisite brews in one sitting. Hats off to Unibroue with "The End of the World."

danielocean03, Jan 20, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

This beer poured a slightly hazy, golden color with a half inch head. The aroma was fruity and also had undertones of bread/yeast. The taste was of candi sugar, citrus and sweet malt. Very tasty and without a doubt has a Belgian character. The finish was spicy and slightly alcoholic with the sweet/candi sugar taste making itself known again. This beer is a treat for sure, but 2 bottles is my limit. The 9% abv sneaks up on you if you're not careful.

rodrot, Jan 19, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -10.9%

This is a truly exceptional Belgian Pale Ale. Just a shade less good than the vanguard of its class, Duvel. Pours a nice fizzy head with very tight carbonation. Taste is of all the good things you'd expect from the triple-fermentation process: currants, cinnamon, pepper, coriander. A bit heavy on the carbonation to score higher in mouthfeel, and its high ABV takes away from its drinkability. But there are few better "sippers" in the world...

troutmask96, Jan 17, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy/hazy yelorange with a nice tight head.

Smells a bit like a hefe weizen - banana, citrus, yeastiness, breadiness, and confectioners sugar.

Clove/banana softness as I take my first sip. Bready. Yeasty. Has a candy sweetness that isnt cloying, but rather complimentary to the other flavors.

Crisp, refreshing, but also feels heavy. A decent after dinner brew to sip and relax with.

wingnutter, Jan 16, 2006

Light copper color with a fluffy white pillow of a head. Loads of tiny bubbles continuously rising to the surface. Lots of sticky lacing. The aroma is dominantly yeasty with some pepper and spices and a little orange zest. Biscuity taste with a nice spicy yeast taste. The champagne like mouthfeel helps make this a very refreshing beer.

nvsblman, Jan 15, 2006
3.75/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice art work on a 12 oz bottle with silver foil wrapped over the cap. Served in my snifter glass slightly above fridge temp.

Pours a hazy orange / yellow color with a sudsy white one finger head. Massive, impressive lacing.

Smell: Very spicy! Citrus fruits like lemon and orange with some mango and apricot. Yeasty. A significant amount of alcohol finds its way through the layers to slightly tug at your nose.

Taste & mouthfeel: A full flavor of gentle citrus hops and bold clove like spices blend into the very carbonated mouth feel to feel like a very active tingly beer. It is light, cool, refreshing, and a good flavor for the style. I personally tend to prefer the Strong Dark to the Belgian Pale Ale. Nonetheless it is a nice brew with some Duvel like characteristics.
Mouthfeel: Smooth and hoppy, crisp and sweet. (How’s that for combining two categories)? The truth is the Taste and the Mouthfeel really blend together for an overall refreshing experience.

Drinkability: While this is a refreshing beer, the substantial hopyness, and yeastiness and the alcohol that seeps through, do not make this a chugable beer or a sessionable beer but one glass is quite nice. It is a classy beer that I recommend sipping during dinner or a relaxing evening.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Jan 13, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

What's wrong with Unibroue? Jesus I've had so many of their styles and they all have been awsome, this doesn't happen!! Anyway this stuff pours a hazy orange color, non-long lasting head. Taste is a combination of dried apricot and yeasty notes with some alcohol, it blends all perfectly. Nice mouthfeel and finish. I'm glad Unibroue is widely avaliable in Maine, even if it wasn't I could make a road trip to Quebec. This is what beer should be!!

Manosbeeroffate, Jan 13, 2006
4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Pours a cloudy yellowish amber with a half finger fizzy white head that dissipates quite quickly.

S: Aromas of fruity and floral hops with a slight malt background. Very refreshing smell, almost like a spring day.

T: Tastes very citrusy with hints of pears and bananas and a slight malt hint in there somewhere.

M & D: Very carbonated, almost takes away from the belgian taste. Love that its a high abv--can't taste the alcohol. Very smooth and refreshing with a nice dry fruity (pear) after taste. Drinkability is pretty high, on a summer day of course whlie basking in the hot sun.

bjohnson, Jan 12, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +13%

I am drinking a vintage 2005 750 mL C&C bottle poured into my bran' spankin' new Pauwel Kwak tulip glass. The ale is at an
optimal temperature of 45-50 degrees.

Appearance: The ale pours as a nice deep goldenrod color, with a nice head that leaves a pleasing lace down the sides of this long-necked glass. THe alse is not quite clear, but close enough that one can make out whatever is on the other side of
the glass.

Smell: The smell of peppers and spices jump out immediately. The pepper is very obvious and adds a hint of spicy heat to the nose. There are also sugars, imparting a slightly sweet note.

Taste: The taste of candied sugars hits the tongue immediately, providing a sweet taste that slowly turns into a strong alcohol presence. Beyond that, the spicy taste of black pepper makes itself known. The malt character is fairly low key, but the hop presence is equally restrained, creating a very smooth evenly blended ale.

Mouthfeel: The ale sites very nicely in the mouth, with the pepper and sugars providing a sweet and bitter interplay. Keep the ale in your mouth and allow it to warm, the alcohol character becomes very apparent.

Drinkability: Despite the 9% abv, the ale is very drinkable, tasting so smooth and balanced, one does not even realize the alcohol until it is WAY too late. An excellent ale from a top notch brewery.

akorsak, Jan 11, 2006