La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 8,989 | Reviews: 2,812
4.32/5  rDev 0%

A: Champagne gold with a slight orange tinge. Swirling and bubbly carbonation came with the initial pour. The soapy eggshell head has exemplary retention and leaves spots of lace.

S: Starts out like a fine apple cider with scents of apple and cinnamon. Pepper, lemon and sourdough aromas follow in from behind. Quite complex overall.

T: White wine like out front, with the taste of crisp green grapes. The fruit theme continues with apple and pear flavors. A sharp pepper and clove bitterness comes on to curb the sweetness. Finishes tart and dry.

M: Medium and juicy. The high carbonation level aids the bitterness with its voracity.

D: Very nice indeed. I'm glad I finally picked this up.

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

750 ml bottle into a tulip.

A- Big frothy bubbles. Golden color, very rich. 3 inches of head at least.

S- spicy malty sweetness. Smells simple and delicious.

T- spicy. Awesome. Belgiany.

M- lively. Not too heavy or light. Just shy of perfect.

D- amazingly drinkable for the abv. But still not the kind of thing you just pour down your throat.

Thanks pamola.

4.63/5  rDev +7.2%

A: Pours a light golden yellow with massive head formation with good retention. There is a decent amount of lacing and carbonation was fair.

S: Nose is filled with sweet candy and fruit. The yeast is very present and mixes well with earthy and grainy tones.

T: Great balance of flavors. Candied yeast mixed with bananas and pears. There is a hint of pepper as well to round out the taste. Alcohol is virtually unoticable at 9%.

M: Smooth with adequate carbonation.

D: Very drinkable, no problem drinking the 750mL bottle. Very smooth.

3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

A - Beautiful golden color, looks like wheat in the sun. Some minor lacing.

S - Very yeasty, but good.

T - Leaves a little to be desired, citrusy, but overall nothing lasting or memorable.

M - Carbonated a little too much for a tripel, in my opinion.

D - Would make a decent session beer, but not one to impress would-be beer buddies.

4.02/5  rDev -6.9%

12 ounce brown bottle with a foiled top.

A: Fluffy off-white to tan head. Seems to be showing lots of carbonation. Pale but dark golden in color. Looks lovely :-).

S: I'm hit instantly with spices and some estery notes. Pepper, light fruits, and loads of alcohol await.

T: Woah! Spicy, malty, mildly sweet and delicious. How is this NOT from Belgium!? This stuff is off the wall good for a Canadian brew. Some nutty character, light fruits, a bit of clove and a mild, almost chile-pepper like bite on the tongue. Do I taste pears, and maybe even a little golden raisin??

M: Creamy, thick, and wonderful. When it was poured it seemed to hint towards a more watery beer considering how bubbly it appeared... Not the case, at all. Mouth warming, bubbly, spicy and creamy as all get out.

D: As drinkable as a beer with this high of an alcohol content is ever going to get. This brew was oh so creamy and thick, yet not harsh on the palate at all. Goes down smooth. Don't expect to be able to drink more than 2, however, unless you're looking to spend the night sitting in the bath tub.

After 24 ounces I was feeling a bit wobbly. But let's face it, who can drink just one of these? It's just too good. For the price, this has got to be one of the best bargains on the face of the earth.
I have another 4 pack of this waiting for me in the fridge (I went back and got more after me and my buddy killed the first one).
If you like Tripels, you'll LOVE this beer, and you'll want to stock up like I did!!!

4.6/5  rDev +6.5%

By far the best value I have found in a tripel, around $7.00 for 750ml. This beer has huge flavor, which is good if you like the style. Carbonation is up there and poured a rocky head. Of the beers in this stlye that I have tried it is second only to Chimay's tripel.

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am very glad that Golden Monkey was my first Belgian Tripel... even though its an American beer. Why? Because I feel that every time I buy a new Tripel to try, it just keeps getting better. No offense to Victory. Anyways, before trying this brew, I must say Brooklyn Local 1 was so far the best I have tried. The aroma of this beer is typical of this style. Nothing mind blowing or exciting. Smells, in my opinion, the same as every other beer of this style... yeast and fruit. I took nice sniff before I tried it to see if I could anticipate the taste. Well at first, I thought I was right. Right after I swallowed, I realized I was dead wrong. I was pleasantly surprised by the spicy clove after taste; something I have yet to experience in this type of beer. It has a very sweet and spicy flavor. Yeast is obviously present as well as alcohol as this is a 9% ABV brew. Because of the sweetness of this beer, I don't think its as drinkable as maybe the Brooklyn Local 1. I don't know what else to say about this really... It is an amazing Tripel for lack of better words. If you like this style, definitely try this one. Its not very expensive... I bought this a Trader Joe's in Brookline, MA for $6.49 and anyone from the area knows damn well that Boston is notorious for price gauging alcohol.
Enjoy!

2.85/5  rDev -34%

I love this brewery, and am not sure if I have ever had this, so I bought a single today. Pours a nice hazed golden color, with lots of air bubbles, and small bits of sediment. Heading is about one fingers worth. Big whiffs of tropical fruit begin, with mango, papaya, pineapple, a bit of must and nectar in there as well.Taste is very fruity, with the fruits mentioned above included, but then there is a spicy character that comes in, followed by a solvent alcohol taste that can best be compared to vodka. Body is medium, slick on the mouth and pretty hot I have to say. I am glad I opted for the single instead of an entire bottle, as this one was really hard for me to finish. I know this one gets a lot of praise, bit what can I say? I am not a huge fan of Tripels, and am definitely not a fan of Tripels that remind me of my least favorite spirit, vodka. Worth a try for Belgian fans. Cheers

4.97/5  rDev +15%

I have to agree with the Brothers on this triple. It's world class.

I had it first on tap and then out of a caged & corked bottle. Both experiences were too close to note any, if tiny difference.

Beautifully cloudy, golden-orange in color, with a dense and creamy head that lasts well.

Spicy, banana/bubble gum right off the nose and into the mouth...a slight and not unpleasant medicinal note...definite pepper and licorice as well as some pome fruit and soft citrus. This one drinks well at any temp and I like to take my time and sip, sip, sip.

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Pours a hazy golden color with a small foamy head.

S- sweet, slightly spicy, very fruity. Apples, pears, oranges....

T- spicy sweet, peppery and fruity. Notes of grapes and pears. Finishes a bit clovey and yeasty. An alcohol warmth encompasses the flavor.

M- Moderate carbonation and body. On the dry side.

D- Excellent. Alcohol is incredibly well hidden. It's there, but it blends in very well with what's going on in the beer. Overall a fantastic brew.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

enjoyed from a westmalle glass....

A- toasty golden color with some sediment leaving it slighty un-seethrough. Head was thick but bleach white, however it dissipated quickly and didn't leave too much lacing (might have been the glass)

S- Smelt like I raided the fruit basket. Definite Granny Smith Apple smell, slightly sour at first but spicy throughout the remainder. Reminded me of apple pie slightly with the addition of the cinnamon and brown sugar smells.

T- exactly what my nose smelt.

M- smooth and crisp like an autumns day, definetely detected the alcohol.

D- middle of the road. I think they overdid the spicing and I felt more like I was eating a pie than drinking a beer (though is that a bad thing all the time?)

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into a Chimay glass.

A: Pours a golden orange that has a medium sized head with minimal lacing.

S: Largely has a funky smell combined with bananas and apples; also has a light citrus hint.

T: Bubblegum and banana jump out initially in this flavor with an orange/apple aftertaste. Alcohol is noticeable, but very light. The beer also gives off a nice warming sensation.

M: Perfect mouthfeel; not too thick or thin.

D: 9% is strong, but this beer is still surprisingly drinkable; not too heavy either.

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured into chalice from 750 mL bottle. Pours a hazy golden color with a half finger of head. Very sweet smell like cane sugar and syrup. Taste is kind of wheaty and sweet. Very strong and sweet flavor that masks the ABV very well. Light coating mouthfeel. Drinkability is only lost on the full flavor and sweetness of an otherwise top notch tripel.

3.76/5  rDev -13%

Finally got around to this after many recommendations, but sadly it wasn't much to my liking. It's gold in color, strong head, smells nice, but far too hoppy & carbonated for my tastes. Still, easy going and smooth, considering. It does have a nice sour taste, if savored. But not really my style, in the end.

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

Medium body, lots of head retention, light gold in color.

Smells soapy, citrusy and sweet.

Attacks hard with lots of fruit. Finishes with a nice vegetal touch.

Very drinkable. One of my favorite go-to's when I'm not in the mood for anything in particular.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance: golden, very clear, a big head that dissapates quickly

Smell: yeast, lemony-citrus, and belgian spice

Taste: belgian spice, sour fruit, coriander, and a bit of lemonade

Mouthfeel: medium body, very crisp, a bitter finish. I can really feel the carbonation.

Drinkability: I will have this again, but not for a while. I have other favorite from Unibroue. The alcohol content on this one is sneaky, so I do not think I would have more than two in a session.

4.32/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My son first had this beer on his honeymoon in Canada. Now I know why it is one of his faves. Very enjoyable beer. Lately I have been focusing more on the Imperial Stouts and found this to be a refreshing change of pace.

Appearance - Pours a light golden color with a about a one finger head, which eventually recedes, leaving a bit of lacing. The carbonation is fairly active.

Smell - A combination of sweet citrus and fruit.

Taste - Enjoyable sweet, spicy flavors very similar to cidar. Just a hint of alcohol.

Mouthfeel - A nice smooth beer that with fairly good carbonation.

Drinkability - This is where we could get in trouble. Repeated consumption would not be a problem at all!! A very easy to drink beer.

4.68/5  rDev +8.3%

A--No exaggeration: looks exactly like fresh pressed apple cider.

S--Citrus and sweetness, with a bit of malty goodness.

T--Sweet and savory with the taste of apple and finishes to some citrus. Light burn of alky adds a bit of warmth.

M--Effervescent and bubbly, but still thick and substantial.

D--Dangerous, very dangerous. So easy to drink and quite potent. Consuming a whole bottle would be inadvisable if you wanted to stay....sharp.

Very good, lives up to its reputation.

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz bottle, poured into Duvel glass.

Appearance- slightly cloudy golden-straw color, with a near-white head.

Smell- apples, apples, and more apples. Oranges and spices are also very clear in the nose, along with a distinctive yeast-funk which smells a bit like a wet barnyard.

Taste- oranges and apples splash onto the palate, followed by a warming sensation as the cloves, cinnamon and other spice flavors march in. The swallow is yeasty, into more fruit, into a quick dash of spice, with a bready yeast aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- light and crisp, aided by ample carbonation. Crisp on the palate, leaving the mouth so smoothly and so clean it is hard to resist another drink.

Drinkability- high. La Fin Du Monde would be an easy pick for a session beer. Except for the fact that sessioning a 9% would knock most of us right on or asses.

4.02/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a slight tangerine orange and straw yellow. The head is nice and bubbly but fades very quickly with a little lacing.

Smells like Wheat and European hops, a little yeast in there too. There is some fruit in there too, but you have to take a good whiff to get it

The taste is of wheat, a bit of malt, and a little fruit flavour in there too

Almost feels like drinking Champagne, medium mouthful otherwise.

Easy to drink, but not somethinf I'd be trying every night

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a wine glass, this ale produced a good head, though not long lasting. Color was a cloudy straw-like yellow amber. Lace was minimal but stuck around 'til the end. Smell was predominantly clove, with a hint of banana and maybe a touch of pear.
Good carbonation and maltiness made for a really nice mouth feel. This is my second foray into Quebecs Unibroue. This one beats 3 Pistols, without a doubt.

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%

6-Jan-2009 Home

Poured a hazy gold with a think head. Aroma of bread, and sweet, syrupy pineapple. Initial flavors are sweet bread and alcohol followed closely spices and honey. This is rich, complex beer that is so good I want to swim in it. It has X-factor.

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a hazy orange with a rocky thick head -- some lace, but not alot.

Smells of sweet fermented stone fruit, some spice, citrus, and a big whiff of alcohol.

Good alcohol punch on this one, with the sweet tropical fruit flavors, some yeastiness, and maltiness. Has a tart/sour note as well. Fairly clean finish.

Well carbonated and medium bodied, keeps this as drinkable as possible. This is a long-time sipper -- an one a night is enough for me. Good example of this style. Worth a try, more than once.

4.54/5  rDev +5.1%

I may have been a little to easy with the pour as the brew did not have a very large head but what was there was a light white color with nice retention. The brew has a nice cloudy dull yellow color to it with a slight tinge of orange. Some lacing down the side but think it could be more with a slightly more vigorous pour. The aroma is very pleasing, with a good Belgium smells, citrus, pear, maybe slight apple cider like, spicy yeast with slightly sweet malt. This is a very inviting brew, with it weighing in at 9 % I am not picking up and hot like aromas. The flavors don't seem as complex as the aroma, but they are damn good. one the first sip the malt is the first thing to come out for me, sweetness, which then breaks to a mild spiciness that lingers at the back of the mouth. From the second sip on other flavors come out. Clove and peppers seem to add more to the spiciness that I initially picked up. Hops seem to add to the spiciness that also seems to tickle the back of the mouth and tongue. Alcohol is a little more present here and comes out more as this brew warms, but that flavor is very good as it still seems muted and is not in anyway over powering the brew. This is another brew which I have just walked by for years. I knew of the reputation of being a great brew but for some reason I passed, well I think my feelings have clearly changed. This beer is fantastic, drinks easy which is scary for a 9% brew. Each sip leaves you wanting more.

12 oz bottle best by 2011 on label.

Pours near crystal clear with a soft white head, expected more of a sustaining head with the co2 pop on opening. The head broke fairly quickly.

Aromas of ripe banana, raisin, cranberries and white pepper. Some hints of alcohol but well hidden and nowhere near fusel.

Flavors that dominate are banana and sour cherry along with yeasty peppery profile, body is fairly light and carbonation is a little more subdued than I would like for style.

Very good drinker, lots of similarity to Ommegang's Hennepin fairly fresh batch as far as I can tell.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue