La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

This beer is fantastic. I wholeheartedly believe that La Fin Du Monde can stand up to any beer in Belgium. I could drink this stuff all night, and on several occasions I have. This hazy masterpiece should be savored, but it's so tasty you can't help but to pound these down. Truly a ray of light on an otherwise cloudy day.

GDMFSOB, Dec 09, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -16%

Very hazy golden color with a soapy big-bubble head. Lots of carbonation. Spicy and peppery taste with a slight citrusy orange peel. Sweet malt gives way to a tart lip-smacking dryness and a very warm finish, no doubt from the high alcohol content.

A decent brew - but probably my least favorite offering to date from Unibroue.

cncbofh, Nov 24, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Finally I can review this beer after having it again.

The color is hazy peack with 2 fingers of head that falls to a quarter inch over the beer. Looks nice. The nose is really strong in fruity esters, a good belgian nose. I dig it. The flavor is good and sweet, with lots of the fruity chatacters coming through. Nice malty characters in this beer. The feel is thick and creamy...nice body on a good beer. Drinkability is good for a 9% beer. It was easy and smooth and just good all around.

kmpitz2, Nov 22, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

My first La Fin was had about a year ago, right about the time I jumped ship. After being aboard the USS Anheuser for nearly twenty years my taste buds couldn't appreciate this fine creation. Now I get sick when I think of all the money I wasted over the years on that fizzy urine. This is a great beer to drink and forget how stupid I was.
While I'm not a big fizz lover, and this brew is well carbonated, I do love this stuff. The head and the cloudy appearance are reminisent of a wheat beer. That notion hits the bricks once the nose catches the aroma of a variety of fruits. I'll sit and swirl this grog in a chalice until some of the head dies off and it warms slightly. Then, that's when I think this beer can really be appreciated. The sharp carbonation is calmed a bit and the mouthfeel is smooth, malty, fruity and not overpowered by the 9% abv content. The finish is a bit dry but that just makes you want another sip. Before you know it, the bottle is empty and you'll be yearning for another.
This is truly an all season brew. Summer or winter, this concoction is consistent, delicious and dangerously easy to drink. Oh, Canada! Land of the 3 gallon per flush toilet and home of the Unibroue brewery.

cro250klr, Nov 16, 2004
4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured a beautiful clear gold with a vouminous frothy white head that stuck around for awhile leaving nice belgian lace behind. Aroma is dry with an apple like ester and some clean pale malt with a hint of alcohol. The flavor begins with a a smooth sweet maltiness that is reminscent of a pale bock in that it has a light cereal sweetness. The flavor soon segues into a hoppy flavor that makes itself known but is not bitter or overpowering. The flavor finishes with no heat or any indicator of the high level of alcohol this brew contains which to me makes it a perfect beer to introduce a friend into the pleasure of a belgian style beer. Very beautiful beer though it definetly commands respect as it goes down smoother than a glass of milk.

RenoZymurgist, Nov 12, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pour is cloudy but pale yellow with a massive white, frothy head which sticks around for some time. Smell is mainly spicey with light fruits, wheat, and a somewhat floral / hoppy tinge all also there; distinctively belgian and inviting.

A tremendously appealing taste, a soft wheat tone mixes with fruity goodness; oranges, some other harder to ID citrus, a spicey bite (softer than Maudite but still good) and plenty of yeast as well. There is also a nice hop tone that starts it off and hangs around throughout which is enjoyable, it's there, but doesn't try to dominate the flavour like so many overly hopped beers are. There is also a noticeable alcohol tinge, not strong, but present. Overall taste is high quality all the way.

Mouthfeel, well, good, it feels full for the style (has some body) but it's not quite up there with the best, signficantly better than average though. Drinkability meanwhile is also up there, particularly for a higher alcohol content beer.

Unibroue is one of the most consistent north american breweries around, and La Fin is another perfect example of why they have such a reputation with craft beer fans.

CortexBomb, Nov 12, 2004

12oz bottle

Appearance- Peeling back the foil I poored this into the inappropriate glass, an average pint glass. Beer comes in a typical cloudy strong belgian ale amber color. with a thick off white head that leaves little lace.

Smell- there are smells I can't quite determine, but there is plenty of fruit aromas with a light hoppy smell.

Taste- this is where this beer excels. There is a robust fruit flavor followed by some pepper which finishes with a warming alcohol finish.

Drinkability- a great ale which comes in a 4 pack which should be perfect to last me through tonights baseball game. Go sox

WeymouthMike, Oct 21, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +3%

Apearance: Dark yellow-tan color and a fine head.
Smell: Fruity malt scent and hints of spice.
Taste: Wow. A big spicey, salty flavor with and excellent malt profile. I think I'm tasting whole-leaf hops in here. Great stuff.
Mouthfeel: Loads of carbonation and classic Belgian stickiness.
Drinkability: One of the more drinkable Belgians I've had the privilege to try.

jvajda, Oct 17, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

75 cl. bottle with a 07-07-06 best by date.
Pours a cloudy straw hue with a decent two finger head. Smells spicy, peppery, yeasty. A tart, spicy citrusy taste is accompanied by a crisp, zesty carbonation. Finishes with a yeasty alcohol taste on the breath.
A most excellent brew.

beerceller99, Oct 11, 2004
4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a hazy golden yellow, with a thick creamy smooth off white head.
lots of champange like carbonation. Not much lace.

Aroma is fruity, yeasty, bready, orangy.

Flavor is citrusy, spicy,fruity, with a little bit of hops on the end. warming alcohol.

Champange like mouthfeel, bubbly but with a creamy quality to the finish.

Padron4KM, Oct 09, 2004
4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Helluva purdy pour! Creamy, frothy...*dramatic* head. A persistent, beautiful, cloudy tan body. Very aesthetically pleasing. [ed note: at the finish of this beer, I find it to be very possibly the most aesthetically pleasing beer ever. Beer goggles?]

Smells of pineapple, yeast, alcohol, raspberry, wheat-beeriness, and...melon? Intriguing to my nose.

First thing I notice about the taste is, strangely enough, the fresh-bready aftertaste. Second swallow, notice the pungent fruitiness. More pineapple. Tough to put my finger on a lot of these tastes, but it's light, slightly fruity (less so than the smell), and pleasant. Raspberry seems to be here...I feel like I'm hunting in a beautiful forest for a tree that I recognize, but they're all, despite their niceness, unidentifiable.

I seem to be nearly done with the beer without noticing doing so (and I don't have a drinking problem, I promise!), so I guess it's damn drinkable. My *only* complaint is that I doubt I could have another and not be beset by the pain of (too-)rapid inebriation and overload of powerful flavor.

cooter, Oct 07, 2004
4.75/5  rDev +10%

I've been enjoying Unibroue's fine selection of beers for quite a while now. I was amazed to find (colecting dust on the floor) a 6 pack of this particular brew labelled "2000" at a local corner store.

All I can say is : store this gem. Stash it, Keep it celared away and forget it for at least 4-5 years.

I've had fresh "la fin du monde" and as some might have mentionned, carboniation is strong and alcohol taste is also very pronounced. After 4.75 years of shelving these attributes haved toned down, giving it a mellower yet fully flavored "la fin du monde".

Don't get this review wrong, this brew does not grow weak with time, it grows... becomes more mature...

Store this beer! I beg you!!!

bloberglawp, Oct 04, 2004
4.88/5  rDev +13%

In my review for Maudite, I mentioned that you can definitely notice the 8% abv, but I didn't notice the 9% abv in la Fin Du Monde at all. I'm not sure I'll ever drink a beer I like more than this in my entire life. Smells and tastes relatively sweet, and is a pretty cloudy golden color. Mouthfeel and drinkability are incredible as the alcohol is hidden so well that I could drink this like, forever. Now that I've tried Unibroue I'm gonna save them for nice occasions since I can't live my life spending this much on beer...

sardonic, Oct 04, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a hazy apricot color with a tight, firm 1" head that drops slowly leaving a scattering of lace.
Smell is somewhat indistinct citrus (grapefruit, orange and or lemon), malt and spice.
Taste is malty, grapefruit/orange, hops (though not to heavy), spice (nutmeg & allspice, maybe a little pepper), very complex.
Mouthfeel is very smooth, warming in the throat, full bodied.
Drinkability is huge, only restriction is the 9% ABV. Otherwise, I could drink this all day.

PorterLambic, Sep 24, 2004
3.93/5  rDev -9%

12 fl oz bottle, silver foil wrapper around the neck. Pours as something of a hazy straw color, nice, thick head of tiny bubbles that seems like it's gonna stick around for a bit. Nice, sweet smell to it, with a bit of a floral smell to it as well. Very smooth, pleasing aroma.

The smooth sweetness carries over to the taste, as well as a bit of a spicy touch, perhaps a bit of clove or something similar. Strong malt flavor at the start, with some hop flavor that follows, almost completely masking the alcohol. Mouthfeel is almost a bit creamy, with a powdery, almost dry feel to it at the end.

A very good beer. I like most of Unibroue's offerings, but this is a new one for me. Very drinkable, despite being 9% alcohol.

Rio, Sep 23, 2004
4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into (what else?) a La Fin Du Monde glass.

The beer is a beautiful, shining gold with abundant carbonation. The head is massive, rising above the lip of my glass. Fluffy, white and cloud-like, it recedes after a few minutes leaving a wonderful example of Belgian lace along the side of the glass. A great pour.

The aroma is fruity and yeasty with an obvious spiciness. The alcohol is also evident in the aroma. The beer has a wonderful aroma.

The taste is dominated by a tart fruit and peppery spice. The alcohol that was so evident in the aroma is here, not so strong at first but warming as the beer is swallowed. Not a particular sweet beer, the yeasty quality is also at the forefront and a slight hops bitterness lingers. The beer is very carbonated, which makes this beer an interesting drink.

I would say that the La Fin Du Monde is very drinkable, however at 9% ABV, I would have to be very careful with my speed of consumption.

I love this beer!

kindestcut, Sep 21, 2004
3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

This poured out a murky golden orange with about a half-inch of white foam sitting atop the body. No lace was left as this was consumed. Aroma was very spicy with notes of a lemony zest and a bit of yeast as well. The taste stays true to the smell with spiciness really dominating with a touch of fruit over a doughy backbone. Lemon and apple notes were the most distinguishable. A nice spicy bitter after taste ending this lovely brew. Mouthfeel was bubbly with about a medium body. Drinkability was good and I would definitely have this again in the future. All around good brew.

meathookjones, Sep 21, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Well I finally got ahold of this guy and am I ever glad that I did. The color is of a typical triple light in color however I had very little head that didn't stick around and no lacing. The smell is that typical lovely belgian smell with sweet smells of citrus and sourness. The taste came as a shock. This beer is as good as everyone says it is. Complex and just all round wonderful fruity and a hint of hops. This is a nice complex beer and a mouthfeel that you don't want to miss especially when you can feel it run across your tounge like a nice cold peice of ice, or something like that. Anyway I glad I only got a 4 pack at 9% I wouldn't be able to last much longer. I am sure these will all be gone soon.

rugger, Sep 17, 2004
4.75/5  rDev +10%

This beer poured a cloudy golden, not much head, not much lacing to speak of.
smell: very nice, fruity complex, hard to define.
taste: delicious! similar to smell , fruity and complex, a bit sweet and some grain.
mouthfeel is great, light and bubbly, just like champagne!
drinkability: Very high! this is one of my favorite beers! but, I can't drink them everyday, as they are high in abv, not a session brew! but great for a little something special once in awhile. Great Stuff!!!

steinlifter, Sep 10, 2004
3.98/5  rDev -7.9%

This is no doubt a good beer. It pours almost a dissapointingly pale yellow, with a nice head lace that remains fairly well. The smell is spicy with hints of fruit. The taste is indeed strong and over the top, as advertised. The alcohol comes through strongly, as expected. The clove spicincess of the yeast leads into the bitterness of the hops. I am not sure if I am missing something here, but to me, this is a good, but not neccassirily world-class beer.

bignick, Sep 06, 2004

Pours a hazy yellow color with a small white head that sticks around. The aroma has a fruity and citrus-like feel. The flavor is yeasty and malty and has some fruit character. The alcohol is also apparent in the taste. Great carbonation. Very good for the tripel style - great representation. I'll have this one again and again.

clvand0, Sep 06, 2004

Presentation: 750 ml corked bottle

Appearance: Pale golden color with a thin white, quickly fading head.

Smell: Aroma is malty with a presence of ripe fruit. A slight yeasty bread smell with a faint alcoholic odor.

Taste: A malty, yeasty flavor mixed with dark fruit flavors (plum & dates). Alcohol can be easily tasted, but definitely not overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, but maybe a little bit overcarbonated. A lighter body than expected with a smooth slightly dry finish.

Overall this is a great brew. A very good representation of the Triple style. This is definitely one of my favorite belgian style ales.

BJ1833, Aug 31, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

I would have to say this is one of my favorite brews of all time. I really love this beer. Even the name is awesome: "La Fin Du Monde" is French for "End of the World."

I poured it into a glass and it immediately formed a thick, three-finger head. Bubbles continuously rise to the surface creating a nice lacing once the head has receded.

The smell is strong and fruity.

The taste is very malty, almost sweet but not quite. Very smooth going down, and the Belgian spice is notable at the finish. The high alcohol content is masked behind these immense flavors.

I am in love with this beer.

EvilFlyingCow, Aug 30, 2004
4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a deep golden yellow, with a smaller fizzy white head. Small bubbles continuously run up the side of my glass giving the beer a nice ring of lacing. The aroma is a wonderfully sweet malty smell, some citrus and many floral accents. The taste is a very sweet, malty flavour, much like the nose, great belgian taste, can taste the alcohol, but it is hidden pretty well under the taste. Mouthfeel is smooth and clean, but very carbonated. My mouth is tingling from the effervescence and alcohol. This beer is wonderful and i feel i could drink this forever

OhioBulldog, Aug 27, 2004
4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

Had I not read a review for this beer, I would have never picked it up for the goofy label. Quite decent though. Citrus and bannana aroma. Tasted almost like a hefe at first. Clove and floral hops came next. Short lived head and carbonation. By the time I finnished the 750ml bottle, the taste was a bit too lingering. Perhaps it got a bit too much air. Good value for a belgian strong ale though.

zjungleist, Aug 14, 2004