La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev -10.9%

La Fin Du Monde is a beer that I thought would just blow me away. I enjoy the Belgian strong pale ale style, for starters, and I really did anticipate being blown away by this one. And for my particular palate it's good, but not great.

The Fin poured well enough, leaving a tighly constructed head that didn't linger too long. The coloring was an orange-yellow hue, lots of floating sediment. Well carbonated, true to the style. Nose was ok, but not overly impressive. Hints of fruit and malts mixed with a definite alcohol twang.

The taste was kind of muddled for me. Not overly sweet, it still managed to be a bit cloying. Hints of fruits, figs perhaps. Slight apricot overtones. Good balance between the malts and hops. Very slight bitterness. The sample got slightly better as the beer warmed. Not overly complex.

The mouthfeel was kind of muddy and slack. I expected a more carbonated presence in the mouth, but I came away with a slightly earthy feel. Not appreciably smooth. Drinkability was good considering all of the factors. High ABV, slightly noticible in the mildly metallic aftertaste.

Not something I'll go out of my way to get again. There are better Belgian strong pale ales in my opinion (Delirium Tremens comes immediately to mind). Still not too bad, though. Glad I gave it a shot.

Dubblebock, Apr 01, 2004
4.28/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a beautiful golden hue with a nice foamy white head, which to my disapointment, didn't stick around too long. I believe this beer tastes like a clean duvel, faint notes of spice and hops. Mouthfeel is clean and crisp. Drinkability is great for a beer of this alcohol content (9.0). Unibroue makes some fine fine beers and this is one of my favorites. I think that this beer would make a great introduction to Belgian Pales.

soper2000, Mar 23, 2004

Saved for my 500th Review.
Pours a hazy golden sunrise color with a tremendous towering white head that slowly dissipates in chunks leaving a rocky lace and spider webs across the glass. Nose is lots of fruity esters with notes of banana, clove, bubblegum, and a bit of spicy alcohol. Fairly full in body with a very fine champagne-like carbonation that is oh so smooth. Taste begins with a good deal of fruitiness (nectarine, pear, peach, mango, and white grape) and flowery honey blended with peppery clove. Next comes some powdery yeasts and a bit of bready malt followed by a touch of drying alcohol (which, considering the 9% ABV, is very well hidden indeed). The End of the World—the flagship beer from one of the world’s finest breweries, and one of my all-time favorites. Simply delicious.

Morris729, Mar 17, 2004
4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance:
Cloudy pale yellow. Head is light and dicipates quickly. Overall it's nice looking.

Smell:
Smells like sweet wheat with hints of peach and clove. Interesting smell that I really enjoy.

Taste:
Sweet and light... has a complex flavor. When first in mouth it has strong fruit flavors. Peach and hints of banana. After than a slight bitterness comes in. Finish has wheat accents.

Mouthfeel:
Feels thick in mouth. Coats tounge well and leave a crisp aftertaste.

Drinkability:
A great beer. Tastes really good and goes down really smooth.

jsolack, Mar 13, 2004
4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

Let me just say first off that I'm going to review this as a Tripel, cause thats what it seems more like than a strong pale ale. It is also triple fermented, so why not?

Poured into a tulip goblet, beer poured a straw yellow with a nice fluffy head. Scents of fruit, belgian yeast and alcohol present. First sip, hints of apple, pear, and hops. Finish hides its 9% ABV well. This one had mellowed for about 6 months since I had bought it. Might try another for significantly longer. I should add that I am normally not a big fan of tripels, but this one pleased me greatly. A very smooth, drinkable beer despite its high ABV.

ChrisBowers, Mar 12, 2004
3.83/5  rDev -11.3%

What a great experience this beer was. I've had to change my review on it having polished off 8 of them this month. At first, i wasn't sure about this beer (or the Maudite), but I have discovered that they are really fine brews.

The head quickly diminishes and leaves you with a bright yellow pint of beer. Smells like a hoppy wheat beer and has similar grapefruit notes.

The taste is outstanding. A blend of pear, hops and alcohol that don't overpower each other, but rather fit smoothly into one another.

GuinnessSmurf, Mar 12, 2004
4.72/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the first Belgian Golden Ale Ive ever tried, so I dont have anything to compare this to, if its a good representative of its class. Juding from its rating on BA Top 50, I trust that it is.

I love the pour which produces an ample head that quickly evaporates away, leaving the golden blond color of the beer. The smell is of hops, spice and malt and has a smooth, sweet taste and a pleasant mouthfeel. I gave it a high drinkability rating as I find it quite enjoyable and always look forward to my next one.

A fine product by Unibroue out of Quebec with 9% abv. Farily accessable here in Massachusetts and well worth the approximately $8.00 per bomber that it sells for.

fdrich29, Mar 09, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

Best by date of 3/18/05. Poured a fizzy bubbly pale golden color. White head formed, but sank quickly. Smell was spicy, bready, yeast-dominant. Sweet scents slowly drifted upwards, along with a cidery fruitiness. Taste is unbelieveable. Peppery tartness, hint of alcohol, fades into a spicy dry finish. Mouthfeel is warm and smooth, not so much piqueing the interest of any particular sensation as much as massaging them all at once. This is one helluva beer, just wish the head lasted longer than 20 seconds.

jlervine, Mar 05, 2004
4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours with a firmly-retained head of foamy, small, pure white bubbles that clumps slightly and slides easily back into the glass after a swirl. Beer is a color like translucent (but not truly hazy) goldenrod with straw-gold highlights. Turbulent, racing carbonation sends a few yeasties into convection currents along the sides of the goblet. Almost all of the aromatic nuances seem to belong to the light, sweet, estery yeast. A consistent clove/coriander spiciness is, with warmth, joined by vodka-soaked bananas in a slightly bready nosefeel that finishes dry. Juicy and softly malty up front on the palate; sustained by a spicy tartness moving from clove to ginger (particularly in the aftertaste) and a finish of slightly grassy hops. At room temperature, flavors of banana bread crusts, lemon pith, and powdered sugar emerge. Spiky mouthfeel with an alcoholic warmth and a pearish mealiness; mellow dry spiciness in the finish. Although I love this beer, I prefer less breadiness and more effervescence in a Belgian Strong Pale. Perhaps this is why IMHO this beer is the perfect accompaniment to scrambled eggs or quiche.

NearerMyBeerToMe, Feb 27, 2004

The first time I had this was in a dive selling all their oddball beers for a buck! Out of the bottle I though it was good, I saw the ABV, I thought it was great. Later I found a fresh 750ml and tried it out of the proper glass... OMFG, this beer is perfect!

Popping the top you get a whiff of green apples and a puff of gunsmoke. Pouring this incredable beer results in a slightly hazy body crowned by a creamy mound of white foam. Sweet and fruity with apples and pairs in the begining a perfectly balanced bitterness give a dry, spicy finish. With a moderatly full mouthfeel, crisp carbonation, and peppery finish this beer even feels good to drink. At 9% this beer is no joke, but it hides it so well.

Sixpack595, Feb 25, 2004
4.88/5  rDev +13%

A straw color with a huge foamy white head and nice lacing left behind. High carbonation present. A very sweet yeasty smell with a nice aroma of fruits. Pear comes to mind. The taste is a sweet tangy blend of fruits. Apricot and pear standout. Floral traces and a extremely sweet sugary taste. Robust spicy flavors and a warming alcohol feel. To say the least this is a very tasty beer and I know what I'll be drinking if armageddon comes around.

Notes: I picked up a bunk 750ml once but haven't had any carbonation problems with the 12oz. bottles.

stewart124, Feb 23, 2004
4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

Cloudy with yeast and golden copper in apperance.
Sugar, yeast and fruit in the aroma.
Sweet sugar, appricotts and light caramel in the flavor.
This is a great beer. Some people I have talked to have said that it is way to sweet, but imo it's a great belgian style ale.

xXTequila, Feb 21, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Presentation: Comes in a dark brown, 33 cl bottle with a foil top with the Unibroue logo. The label has description of the beer on the back in French and German, as well as a picture of the recommended serving glassware — a very nice touch. Best before date of 9/4/06. Poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a very hazy, cloudly brown/yellowish color, a dull apricot. Very dark and cloudly, with no light coming through. Nice one finger white head with amazing head retention. Very thick, uneven crown of lacing around the sides of the glass.

Smell: Amazing yeast aroma with hints of sweet citrus, orange peel or tangerine. Sweetness is balanced by spicy aromas of cloves, corriander, pepper.

Taste: Nice, smooth citrus nose blended with cloves and corriander. Alcohol is well concealed and not evident in the taste, but there's still a warming effect. Until the beer warms or sits for awhile, a little heavy on the carbonation for my tastes. The flavor is hugely complex, with a hint of apricot and a little bit of a strange, but not unpleasant vegetable flavor (a reviewer of the standard version likened it celery). The finish is fairly dry, with a little bit of hops. Near the end it becomes sweeter, with some simpler apple flavors and a sweet fruit aftertaste. Awesome.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth mouthfeel. The carbonation is initially a little too high, but it settles down about halfway through.

Drinkability: Due to the very high alcohol content, this one isn't a session beer. Obviously. But it's a great one to sip slowly and savor.

I haven't tried many Belgians (or Belgian beers produced by Canadian companies and exported to France, as it were), but this is the best of the bunch so far. Reminds me of a more complex, better balanced version of Chimay Blue. I enjoyed it in France and I'll be buying more once I'm back in the US.

jed, Feb 20, 2004
4.68/5  rDev +8.3%

Cloudy yellow color with a head that stays for a while, and leaves a lacing. Smells fruity, with some spice as well. The fruit seems like an apple smell. The taste is like the smell, some apple there, as well as a caramel flavor. This is well complemented by a sharp cheese. The mouthfeel is excellent, just the right amount of carbonation. Despite being 9% La Fin Du Monde is easy to drink, and I am usually not satisfied with only one. This is one of my favorite beers.

vwahaszee, Feb 20, 2004
4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a beautiful golden cloudy color with a thick head that gives way to a thin head that lasts throughout the pour. The scent is alcoholic with a marked fruit aroma. The taste is liek a drier tripel. Subtle grassy notes, light sweetness with a crisp and slightly bitter aftertaste. The mouthfeel is good, very carbonated but appropriate for the brew. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, as though it has very little residual sugars, but I love how it nips at the front part of my tongue and leaves it slightly sour. Love this stuff.

twilight, Feb 20, 2004
4.55/5  rDev +5.3%

Really one of my favorite Trippels out there. Very nice head, appropriate carbonation for the style, also appropriate light color. What I particularly like about this trippel is that it is nice and fruity. Something like Westmalle is a little dry and plain for me. La Fin du Monde is just a little sweet and fruity...really tasty.

cerevisiaephilus, Feb 19, 2004
3.05/5  rDev -29.4%

I'm new at "experiencing" beer, so forgive the lack of very specific flavor/aroma commentary.

Poured in the glass, this created a nice looking white head over a cloudy golden body. Very attractive, even though I'm not drinking it from the prescribed glass shown on the bottle. The head persisted as a sort of "cap" over the beer for the better part of my drinking it.

Goes down so easy that I'm in shock that it's a 9% beer. I've had "malternatives" that tasted more like alcohol than this! Amazing. While the style is not my first choice for a beer, I'd been told that I really needed to try something from Unibroue and this one was it. Almost enough to make me enjoy pale ales, actually. I taste coriander and a lot of other, complex flavors that I am too n00b to identify. As for aromas, just a very pleasant yeast smell.

I think I've said enough for someone who has very little in the way of insight to share.

AndIWantYou, Feb 19, 2004
4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a bueatiful hazy golden color with nice white cap of ever rising bubbles. Smells good light fruity apples, bananas, oranges and spice. Tastes so smooth malty sweet fruity, zesty just the right amount carbonaton tantilizes the tounge. This beer is scary drinkable at 9%, never know by consuming one. Very good beer complex flavors that blend to one great brew from Unibroue, these guys rock.

mntlover, Feb 16, 2004
4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

Presented in a 750ml bottle with a wire cage-wrapped champagne cork. Pours a cloudy golden-orange with a beautiful white, frothy head. Carbonation is right on, too - smallish bubbles just keep on coming, even after letting it sit a while. Wonderful nose of Belgian yeast, orange peel, herbal spice, and a whiff of alcohol. Even better on the palate - more orange peel, lemon, yeast, confectioner's sugar, hint of coriander. Frothy mouthfeel. Finishes mild, sweet, and dry. A beautiful beer.

ElGordo, Feb 15, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Minor problem with good brews like LFDM? Lack of drinkability at 9% ABV, but that doesn't kill the love. Neverending, tiny champagne bubbles rise to a solid head that ain't goin' nowhere. Surprisingly light color in the gaze.

Scents of awl-kee-hol get up in my nose. Did I mention the never ending bubbles? I did? A little extra bubbly texture going down the hatch. Easy flavor of raisins and straight up balance guide this brew as a well put together strong yeasty blend. Hmmm, this is complex. Sometimes a beer is one or the other. Can't decide if it's an ale, or Belgian, but it matters not. This is both. Mmm, mmm. This deserves a better than average on all acounts. The scary thing is, I take back my first sentence. I actually could drink these all night. Do me a favor and wake me up in the morning.

Last swigs: Delicious, like dessert. Champagne like feel to the tongue. Sweet but not too sweet - reminds me of Cananda Dry a bit. The flavor summons so many nuances. Complex: Celery, apricots, peaches, ginger ale: yeah, it's that good.

La Cost du Wallet? $52 US dollars a case of Unibroue mixed 3x8 for this Maple Leaf Country yummy. High - maybe but this is a standard entry for good strong stuff. I'm still drinking it. Flavor is consistent & rock solid throughout the drink.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

blitheringidiot, Feb 13, 2004
4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

This pours a hazy pale yellow with a small white head. Excellent lacing drapes the glass. I'm not sure why, but I really enjoy the look of this beer.

The spicy aromas embrace the nose with notes of citrus, pepper, and spice. I love the smell of a good Belgian style ale.

The smooth taste is sweet with the aforementioned citrus, pepper and spice characteristics perfectly balanced.

This is a crisp easy drinking beer with a strong bite of carbonation. This is a very refreshing and exciting beer to consume. No real strong alcohol presence in the mouth, although there is some warming from the 9% ABV.

Another great beer from Unibroue that I would be happy to drink over and over and over.

filabrazilia, Feb 09, 2004
3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

Appearance: This beer had the color of honey as it sat in the tulip glass. When it was held up to the light, it was a hazy, pale yellow. The head rose up big, almost exploding when I roughened up the pour, even a little bit. It was stark white and fairly coarse. It became a little rocky as it dissipated (which it did rather quickly), but not as much as its true Belgian cousins usually do. A thin layer of bubbles remained capping the liquid for the entire drink, due to the fairly strong bead.

Smell: The aromas of spice and alcohol dominated the air above this beer. The alcohol component was very round and pleasant. Not at all harsh like other light beers with this high of an alcohol content. Along with the aforementioned aromas was a fruitiness (mainly banana, lemon, and orange) as well as notes of raw grains and grass.

Mouthfeel: Light- to medium-bodied with a very smooth feel up in the front of the mouth. As it slid back on the tounge, it picked up just the right amount of carbonation tickle. The alcohol also contributed to some of the tingle in the back of the mouth.

Taste: There were a ton of different flavors going on in this brew, though for the most part, they were rather subdued. The very first flavors upfront were those of sweet grasses and malt. These were quickly joined by a sharp spiciness that was reminiscent of both cloves and white pepper. Some apple kicked in at this time as well, which ended up developing into a banana sweetness as it continued into the finish. The finish became a combination of both dry and slightly sour. Almost tannic, but in a good way. There was some alcohol in the aftertaste, but not very much; this beer did a great job of hiding that 9% abv.

There was a good amount of yeast on the finish of this brew, even when decanted off the dregs. But toward the end of my drink, I swirled the bottle and added all the "good stuff" to the glass. This caused the aroma to be completely dominated by yeast, but had a surprisingly small effect on the taste. The flavor softened up a bit, and there was a little more yeast on the finish, but that was all.

This is my first time with this beer, and only the second that I have tried from Unibroue. (They don't distribute to Kansas, surprise, surprise). A very good, very solid beer. I was surprised that some of its characteristics came across as being almost wheat-like in nature.

This brew goes down way too easily for a beer of this strength. This one could jump up and bite you in a hurry.

A big thanks to noclueaboutbeer for hauling this one out to Kansas all the way from Connecticut.

Quaffer, Feb 08, 2004
4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

This beer pours honey-gold, white a white head. Aromas of honey, clove, citrus. The tastes are clove, peach, orange peel, honey, lemon, pepper. The mouthfeel is smooth, slightly syrupy. It finishes with clove, lemon, and orange peel, followed by alcohol warming.

This has been one of my favorites for a while, but the last time I cracked open a bottle, it was flat. An email to Unibroue got the answer that they were having cork problems, and that their distributors would replace defective bottles. When I mentioned this at my local beer store, they gave me a new bottle, gratis!

WaltTrombone, Feb 07, 2004
4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Dated best before 04-08-06
Boy, is this an exceptional beer. Wonder why it took me so long to get here.
Presents with a sweet, yet light, sugary, fresh and slightly alcohol aroma. Very nice.
Quite pale yellow to slightly gold color, but white fizzy head. Cloudy.
A pleasing effervesent quality up front that smooths quickly to a light pale malt flavor. I served it warm, which I believe helped soften any sharpness. Lightly fruity with a little lemon quality at the end.
Real smooth and warm in the stomach. Finely carbonated makes it tingly, but not overwhelmingly so.
Smoother and less biting than others of similar style that I've had. I like the contrast of light color and light feel with a bold presence and strong alcohol.
A very enjoyable beer.

garymuchow, Feb 02, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle into a Piraat tulip glass...
Pours out a cloudy orange-yellow with a nice fluffy head that's fairly well retained. Smell is malty and sweet with some spice and banana. Taste is exquisite, with peach overtones at first going into malt and clove-like spiciness with some banana essence amidst that lovely alcohol backbone. Another absolute winner from Unibroue. Vive la Quebec!!

euskera, Feb 01, 2004