La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter at 45 degrees; a beautiful cloudy orangish/peach with a quickly-dissipating foamy head. A color I haven't really seen before.

S - Spiced alcohol is the background for a malty apricot/orange aroma.

T - Wonderful start of apricot and spice (ginger, cloves, maybe some cinnamon) eventually leads to a floral banana taste; finally finishes strong with a very warming alcohol and spice feel. Complex blend of flavor but it comes together very nicely - alcohol doesn't dominate the taste.

M - Exceptional warming, alcohol feel with a nice bubbly kick.

D - I wouldn't want to drink more than one at a time - not because of the alcohol, but because I wouldn't want to ruin the moment. Extremely drinkable and a complex taste lead to one of my favorite yearround brews.

JohnnyM2002, Sep 26, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +13%

Pours bubbly head two inches high into Fin du Monde tulip, dissipates steadily. Nice hazy golden-orange color. Really attractive. Nice yeasty nose as well, full-bodied and a little spicy.

The alcohol is apparent - extremely welcome however. What a beautiful taste, the unique yeast strain, balanced malt and hops and a slight tartness. The spicing is just perfect. It has the drinkability of a thirst-quenching witbier in a very complex, gourmet beer. This could be enjoyed with about any dish you'd like: strong enough to stand with aged cheese but smooth and quaffable enough to enjoy with fish or a salad. After a few sips gets a peppery aftertaste.

BretSikkink, Sep 22, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

341 ml bottle

A- Pale orangy amber colour with swirls of yeast as I poor it in. Bubbling like crazy. Nice off-white head of medium-large bubbles. Head has good durability.

S- Yeast with fruit and spice. Alcohol more and more noticeable as it warms.

T- That great Unibroue yeast/fermentation flavour. Overrripe fruit (but good). Alcohol present but not overpowering. Warm spicy aftertaste that lingers with a bit of bitterness mixed in.

MF- Carbonation a bit high initially. Round feel in the mouth. Soft, no water feel at all.

D- Despite strong yeast presence and high ABV, this is one of the easiest beers on lees to drink. I know from experience in my youth as I would split a six pack with a friend and get quite drunk. For the moment, enjoying a single beer with my meal and feeling great!

JOaikido, Sep 22, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance- A very cider-like color. Tons of carbonation. So much so that it bubbled out of the bottle opon opening.

Smell- Sugary candy, phenolic aromas, medicinal notes, ripe fruit, and very well hidden alcohol.

Taste- Very belgian all around... Most of the flavors seem to be a result of the yeast which is apparently an amazing strain. Clove/banana. Nothing stands out in particular, but all the flavors meld together nicely. Only a very small hint of alcohol. yeasty.

final verdict- very enjoyable. Alcohol is well hidden.

lpayette, Sep 18, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: An Autumn orange with a nice tight head.

Smell: Floral scent with herb overtone

Taste: fruity taste which mellowed out nicely

Mouthfeel: pleasant foamy taste, full of flavor

An exellent pairing with strong flavored cheese. As reviewer prior stated, didn't have the aftertaste of high alcohol content.

jsimon816, Sep 18, 2006
3.45/5  rDev -20.1%

This beer was a 12 ounce bottle from a 4 pack purchased from Kappy's Liqours in Falmouth MA. $8.99 for the 4 pack.

Appearance: It reminded me exactly of a cloudy clover honey,the golden color was quite beautiful. The bottle was a borderline "gusher" and produced a monster fluffy white head.

Smell: Slightly floral with hints of herb.

Taste: What really hit me was the sweetness of this brew, once again the honey analogy. The aftertaste had a hint of mint and a very slight hop which was very slight in my opinion. I had no burn from the 9% alcohol, in fact had I not know from reading the bottle I wouldnt have believed it.

Mouthfeel: Creamy would about sum it up nicely I should think, creamy and smooth.

Notes: Overall a fine beer, I dont think I would want to partake in multiples of this one in a session though, not for the alcohol content mind you , but more for the pervading sweetness of the drink. I tasted none of the tartness that some of the other reviewers detected however I still have 3 brews to go so I shall update the review as needed.

6470zzy, Sep 17, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

Serving Type - 12oz bottle

Apperance - Dark golden cloudy pale color. Nice White head with little to no lacing

Smell - Cloves and spices. Kinda sour smell lingers a little.

Taste - CLOVES! tasted just like it smelled. also light fruit peach flavor. and i can tasted a little banana. very pleasant mild alc taste. hidden well for 9%abv.

Mouthfeel - Excellent Carbonation nice thick mouthfeel

Note - One of the greatest beers i have had to date. Very complex taste. I enjoyed this beer from start to finish. Worth evey penny i paid for it. Highly Recommended.

depechemode1983, Sep 17, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A hazy yellow pour with red and orange tints. Big head, foaming, a bit chunky, clings great to side of glass and forms an inverted 'U'. Some sediment floating around, no biggie.
Aroma had alcohol at first, then citrus and biscuit, glazed donut, maybe some ginger.
Taste was rich; sweet like sugar cane/rum, citrus undertones like orange, some pear and a complex mix of herbs.
Felt a bit oily or waxy, a little burn, but that's a good thing.
Very drinkable if you want a good beer to enjoy the whole experience of drinking beer. Not good for a six pack during a ball game and nachos.

Mebuzzard, Sep 16, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -12%

The consensus around here seems to be that Unibroue is the greatest brewery to come out of Canada. Some have even said it's the best brewery on the continent. With that motivation, I've tried several of their brews, each time being highly disappointed by the same unappealing [what I call] "clovey" flavor.

Here, now, I've reached what many consider the be all, end all of Unibroue: La Fin Du Monde. I have low expectations, so I can't be disappointed, and I have to give myself at least a little bit of credit for being willing to give them another shot despite past experience.

The only indication I found regarding the age of this bomber was a "best before" date of 03-14-09. I should be safe.

I gave this beer the royal treatment by pouring it into my favorite glass, a Stone IRS tulip glass. It poured a clear but very bubbly golden hue, but almost half of the glass was filled by a fluffy white head that settled to no less than half its original height, clinging to the sides of the glass.

I let it settle several feet away from me as I sat back on the couch and began to type, and I could still smell its powerful aromas. The initial and most powerful scent was sweet but hard to identify...not quite fruity, closer to floral, but almost like eucalyptus leaves. Mixed in with this was a bit of lemon and, just beneath the surface...uh oh...cloves. At this point, though, the cloves were not offensive.

Overall, a strong, pleasant aroma, but with no really compelling features.

Drumroll...

I took my first sip.

...and it was almost an entirely different experience from what I expected from the odors. Primarily malty, the sweetness turned to a sort of carob with a persistent but mild aftertaste. I could also feel the tingly burning sensation of clove (and maybe 2/3 of that 9% ABV), but it was not overpowering, at least not initally.

A swirl, another sniff, and another sip. Banana. More carob. A little burning at the finish, but again, not enough to scare me away.

If I were rating taste based on this beer vs. other Unibroue beers, I'd give it a 5. But since I'm rating to style and to my personal preferences, I'm giving it a 3.5. It's definitely drinkable, and I can't say I dislike it, but given the ever-growing number of beers I truly enjoy and the nearly infinite number of beers I've yet to try, I probably won't be laying down any more dough for this brew again any time soon.

instrumentality, Sep 16, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

I'll keep this one short as I am not the most experienced with the style. First think I notice is the brilliant yellow color of this beer. Immediately following the visual came the incredible aroma. This thing has so much going on in the aroma department its mind blowing. Tons of fruit and spice aromas all over the place.

The taste was just as complex with every sip finding something new about it. The alcohol is in there somewhere but is pretty unnoticable which makes it really drinkable for this big of a beer.

While I am not very experienced with the style, I liked it for what it was, a new experience and an obviously well crafted beer. I can't say I am hooked on the style or this beer but it makes for an interesting tasting experience. I will be trying this again down the road. To rate this beer, I am rating it based on the very little I know and how I enjoyed the experience. The fact that this thing has aroma and flavors all over the place scores hi with me, it is certainly multi-deminsional.

tattooedtolley, Sep 14, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -9%

750ml bottle, best before 2-21-08, poured into a Duvel glass

Gorgeous cloudy golden color, frothy white head leaves some lace, disspiates leaving about 1/3 inch.

Fresh, herbal, grassy aroma, coriander.

Wow, the active fine carbonation creates a fantastically creamy mouthfeel. Utterly addictive, I want to keep drinking more and more...

So crisp and fresh on first tatse, wondeful sweetness spreads across the tongue but balanced perfectly by bracing tanginess...mild hoppy bitterness in the long long finish...but never an overwhelming IPA hophead-type bitterness, an invigorating beautiful interplay of bitter, sweet, refreshing...the 9% alcohol is almost impossible to believe let alone detect...you want to keep drinking and drinking this until...the end of the world!!!

Easily one of the best beers I have had. WHY don't I have more in my fridge right now!

edit 10/17/08: Very interesting to try this after much more beer tasting experience. Still a great beer, but have tasted many better sunce I wrote the review. The flaw here is that the brew is too sweet. I have adjusted my ratings today.

kenito799, Sep 13, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

Maybe the best beer I've had so far since discovering craft beers. Smells like banana, cloves, and some apricot, but this is definetly the most complex beer I've tasted. I first tasted pineapple.. apricots.. bubblegum.. sour apples.. then the medium hop-y bitterness hit me. I didn't taste any alcohol until I was almost finished with the bottle. Drinkability is high - I seriously could go for another one, but I'll be passed out on the floor mid-way through. The alcohol is very well-hidden.

diamondc, Sep 11, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours hazy yellow with a fizzy white head. Aroma is yeasty and reminds me a citrus fruits, maybe pineapple? Yeasty flavors, tartness are present and alcohol isn't as apparent as I would expect, but its there along with hop biterness. The mouthfeel is fizzy and somewhat thin. This is pretty easy to drink considering the alcohol content.

Dizzy, Sep 11, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -18.3%

The color is golden with some rust tones near the head, which is a egg shell white. Aggressive head continual effervescence and doesn't seem to want to leave. No lacing thus far, but we'll see by the end. The smell is of pils malt, alcohol cloves, and spices with some citrus notes. Its smooth and tart in just the right places. This is a well balanced beer. How ever when it comes down to it I normally grab Duvel over this, but it is still an excellent.. repeat excellent beer.
p.s i did this about a year ago and now I know how horriable corriander is if you use it in every damn beer you brew.

mmcave, Sep 08, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance is a cloudy golden color with a two finger frothy white head. The head goes down some but lasts throughout. Nice lacing on the glass. The smell is sweet and of citrus. The taste is peppery and of yeast. Citrus, especially pineapple, is evident. I had this right out of the fridge and it got smoother as it warmed. Alcohol can be sensed but its not overpowering. Mouthfeel is carbonated but pleasant. Drinkability is very good, especially for a 9.0% ABV. LFDM may be too sweet for some but I found it very well balanced. Overall, this is a very enjoyable beer that I will have again.

uconnalum2, Sep 07, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Nice pale color, huge meringue head that lasts the entire glass.

Smell is spicey, fruity, clove, grapefruit, just a huge, complex aroma.

Flavor is yeasty, flavors found in the aroma, just phenomenal flavor.

Mouthfeel is light and dry. Highly carbed.

Highly drinkable, I could drink this all night long.

BlackAngus, Sep 07, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -7.9%

The pour into a shaker raises a one inch plus head, off white , very solid, but becomes rocky over time. Recedes to a still very thick layer that lasts the whole glass. The body is hazy yellow translucent. The nose is yeasty, sweet, a bit peppery, slightly hoppy. The taste echoes the smell, with a focus on pepper and yeast characteristics. The mouth is medium, but the carbonation is a tad too high for me. The yeast adds more fun to the drink when poured in. A tasty brew, and quite good with vodka sauce.

mjc410, Sep 05, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

L.F.D.M. pours a moderately cloudy light honey color with a generous, frothy, and slightly chunky head that settles into a creamy-foamy slick. Vivacious carbonation ascends from all sectors of the glass. Luxurious nose of honeyed grapefruit and banana with essences of clove, allspice, and a hint of coriander wrapped around the fresh yeast. An element of lime rind and citric acids adds brightness to the mouthfeel. A very nice brew, reminiscent of Brewery Ommegang’s Hennipen.

barknee, Sep 01, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours with plenty of foamy white head forming a fluffy, domed cap in the glass. Hazy and cloudy with loads of yeast floating around. Beautiful yellow and straw colored body with plenty of orange. Very appealing. The head lasts on well in to the drink leaving a nice lacing pattern on my goblet.

Wonderfully smooth on the nose. Strong vanilla and banana. Spiced with coriander and candied ginger. Underlying floral tones of iris and tulips. Some very light cinammon is also noticeable. Finishes with some barely noticeable alcohol and another full vanilla rush.

The first sip reveals a bevy of yeast flavors. Vanilla, banana, oak, roasted peanuts and plantains. Slightly sweet malt presence with what tastes like some high-grade wheat malts. Some noticeable alcohol in the back of the mouth. Long finish loaded with spicy coriander, cloves and oak with a kick of alcohol. One of the best non-Belgian beers crafted in a Belgian style.

Mouthfeel is wonderful. Balanced and supremely creamy with enough alcohol to remind me of it's presence.

Drinkability is also wonderful. This brew is incredibly tasty and enjoyable to drink. It would be easy to drink too many of these.

Budlum, Aug 31, 2006
4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

Orange-gold, a finger of white frothy head that doesn't totally stay but keeps coming up in the center of the goblet to retain a thin layer. An occasional small pour from the bottle brings it back up nicely.

Smells of orange juice, red apples, sugar cookies, spice, herbs, earth. Appetizing.

Taste matches smell, along with rock sugar, orange peel, sweet white bread. Delicious, and drinkable. Finishes with orangey freshness and alcohol.

Mouthfeel is creamy, with a bit of nice oiliness, but can get too fizzy.

This Quebecoise is fantastique. I wish I had a bowl of poutine to go with it!

Beerzebub, Aug 29, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: This beer is almost an applejuice color, but brighter. The bright white head exploded upward towards the brim of my glass, making me have to pace the final bit of liquid. There isn't much laceing to speak of. There are however, lots of beading floating vigoriously to the top,not giveing the little bit of dregs I eased in there to settle.

Smell: The aroma is very fruity, such as a strong apricot scent as well as sweet red apples. A vague hop and malt profile is noticed, but the fresh bread scent is overpowering any chance the two had.

Taste: Apricots galore. Citrusy oranges blended nicely with the sweet red apples makes for a smooth tasteing fruity drink. Most Belgian ales I find have a certain typical yeast aroma and taste about them, but this one does not seem to have this. Instead the bread notes are sweeter and less upfront. In the finish, you cannot hide the 9% alcohol that hits you, but it is balanced very well with all the fruity esters and bread notes.

Mouthfeel: Smooth drinking, almost grainy yet at the same time its almost slick. High carbonation with a meduim body. This beer has an alcoholic bubblely finish.

Drinkability: When you go to the store to purchase beer,there is always a bunch you have had but may have forgotten how good they really are. This is one of mine, with that being said, I vow to put this beer in my monthly rotation, and suggest you do the same. If you have not had this one, you dont know what you are missing. Thumbs up Unibroue!!

Cheers2Beers

cheers2beers, Aug 25, 2006
4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a rusty godlen color with a creamy 1.5" head, leaving some slight lacing. A mild bouquet of clove, floral yeast, and a touch of citrus. The flavor is a delicious mellow malt mixed with clove and citrus. The mouth feel is incredible, so complex; it dances all over the palate, going from malty to sweet and spicy, then finishes almost buttery, with barely a trace of alcohol.

I have had this beer before, but mixed with many others, and it didn't really take me by storm. This time, concentrating on it alone, it was a delight. I defintely see more in my future--until the world ends, anyway, which could be any day now. But this is great beer to drink while everything is crumbling around you.

Osiris9588, Aug 25, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -16.7%

I've always been meaning to buy a beer from this company I just never got around to it, but now I have.

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with loads of carbonation and yeast present in the body of it. The is a rocky white head that sits a top it that disipated at a decent rate to create a film arcoss the top leaving spotty lacing. For a Belgian style I wants to see the head stay up longer then it did.

The smell and taste are loaded with fruity sweet malts giving it a slightly apple like taste. Big yeasty aroma and taste is very present. Also in both there was a very present fusal alcohol presence. The only difference really in the smell and taste is that the taste had a slightly spicey hops taste that was present.

The beer was a medium body that left a nice warming feeling in the mouth from the high alcohol. It was a wonderful brew that must be taken with respect and sipped throughout the night.

cproioi, Aug 24, 2006

I found this brew (suprise, surprise!) at the local neighborhood HEB supermarket. It was not surprise that when I went back they had sold out. Duvel and Chimay drinkers take note, there is a new kid on the block and his Reggie...whoops wrong review...

The bottle is striking and the Quebec nationalism hits you in the face like a handfull of yeast sediment. If your french is rusty, the name translates to "End of the Earth". This could be interpreted a number of ways; Quebec is literally at the end of the Earth or you'd have to go to the End of the Earth to find a better beer. I think the latter is appropriate. I liked the beer so much I wasted no time in cloning it. That of course requried that I buy several more bottles to harvest the yeast. (Word of note to homebrewers, the yeast is very agressive so have plenty of space in your carboy or you will have a problem. I dry hopped mine with a bit more orange peel than called for and it clogged my blow off tube and I got a call from home (Houston, we have a problem...) it seems the stopper, blow off tube and several ounces of peel and yeast were blown onto the ceiling and surrounding real estate. However the beer was splendid, although with no candy sugar it was minus the tremendous head. Now on to the beer.

This beer was splendid. From the huge rocky shaving cream head, to the wonderful orangey, estery aroma it shouted drink me. (Caution, do not mow the yard in the Houston heat, then gulp one of these 22oz babies down or you will have a hangover in short order.) The ale bursts in your mouth like a fruity explosion, only dampened by the mild alcohol warmth as it slides down your gullet like a soothing balm. You just can't stop. 22ozs disappears in no time. Buy the big one for yourself and a 6 pack of 12 ozers because you will not want to share the large bottle with anyone. The mouth feel was wonderful and even with it's prodigious alcohol content, you'll down this brew greedily like an overpass dwelling wino. Unibue have outdone themselves.
Warning: If you haven't tried Belgian Style Ales and do not want to pay the high price demanded for them ($8.00), Do not try this beer as it is highly addictive!

KeithPatton, Aug 21, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I first tried this on tap in Quebec City, and literally thought my world might end.

Appearance: Pours 1 inch head, settles into medium suds. Cloudy golden-orange color, which is almost luminescent under light. Low viscosity.

Aroma: Banana, honey, yeast, with some orange notes and nice bready undertones. Golden raisins and candy sugar in the development, with some lemongrass and ginger from the hops. The most impressive aspect of the nose was that you could smell it loud and clear from across the room upon opening the bottle.

Taste: Yummy sweet raisins, oranges, and malts. Booze and mild pine/ginger in the background. Strawberry and apricot developments. Bready yeasty finish with just a little pepper. Nice grassy bristle on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, with low constant carbonation. Sweet malty finish.

Drinkability: Fantastic - dangerously easy to drink, though the sweetness definitely caught up with me by the end of a glass. Slightly abrasive grassiness and mild but dry finish certainly kept this pleasant.

expatsteve, Aug 19, 2006