La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +13%

I had this from a 12 oz brown bottle and served in a tulip glass as suggested on the label. There is a best before date clearly labeled for 08/16/07. Nice looking bottle with a foil top.

Pours a hazy golden yellow with a foamy white head on top. Scattered sticky lacings cling to the sides of the glass.

Aroma of cloves, yeast, fruity esters, and a tad of spices in the background.

This is one of amazing beer. I am impressed. Very smooth with pressured carbonation on the tongue. Orange citrus flavors, cloves and peppery spices blend together for an inviting experience for the palate. In all respects, this beer reminds me of a Belgian Tripel.

This is an excellent beer and only leaves me wondering why I haven't had this beer before. Highly recommended.

Hibernator, Feb 21, 2005
4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

Presentation: Served from a 12 oz. bottle at room temperature into a tulip glass.

Gold in color with lots of beautiful cascading and a huge foamy head that clings to the glass. Lots of sediment floating in it as well. Great looking! Aroma is mostly citrus and sweet smelling hops. I also catch some hints of something reminding me of honeysuckle a little. Also, the yeast is apparent as well (unless I'm stupid). This could be a little honey or presence of the alcohol sugars I imagine. Nutmeg and spice up front with hints of sugar and citrus fruit. However, the alcohol kicks you in the palete real REAL hard also. Aftertaste reminds me of papaya fruit a little or a little like orange peel; kind of bitter yet sweet. Carbonation is well balanced and is not too strong on the sip, to which the alcohol burn hits your palete drying it out a bit before the swallow. I honestly wish I had a bomber of this one. Very easy to drink, refreshing, and tasty! Another Unibroue masterpiece!

Fish113d, Feb 17, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +6.5%

I found this little gem in a beershop in Neuchatel in Switzerland, among many other beers that are very hard to find (at least here). (including Dolle Brouwers beers, rare chistmass brews and many other that I couldn't find here in Belgium)
I was delighted to find out that this was not the the french export version either, but the genuine candian stuff with 9% ABV.

Moving on the review.

A medium pour produced a nice trothy head that settled on top of a hazy, golden brew.
The smell is fresh, yeasty with some fruity aspects and some floral notes.
Citrusy flavours blend in with a malty undertone. Some spices & a slightly dry and hoppy finish. Most excellent.
Goes down very smoothly, with no hints of the high ABV in the taste. Very deceiving as this is a pretty heady brew and quaffing this one too quickly with an empty stomach will almost certainly have its effects.

Very Belgian in both taste and smell. It has many elements of a solid belgian blonde but it's stronger, rounder and creamier. Top notch!

Paddez, Feb 11, 2005
4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

cloudy yellow ale with a little yeast floating around. Thin white head, no lacing. Sweet aroma with a balanced taste of sweet malt and a little tartness in the finish. The aroma is faint and the taste is similar - not overpowering but a very nice ale, the unibroue's are really impressing me.

SaunaKing, Feb 06, 2005
4.28/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a lovely golden orange, large bubbly head.

Aroma is faintly sweet with some candied sugar and wafts of citric fruit, possibly tangerines.

Medium-full bodied with rich carbonation. Nice and creamy feel to it. Rich sweetness combines with a light orange fruitiness and a light yeast flavor. Some spiciness and faint alcohol flavor lead into a dry finish. A pleasant blend of sweets, fruit and fruitiness remain in the aftertaste.

A fine Belgian Strong pale, a pleasure to drink.

Southernbrew, Jan 28, 2005
4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

La Fin Du Monde translates as “The End of the World” and if you ad “till” on the front, that is exactly how long I would drink this beer if I could.

I’ve come to expect… No… demand high quality (and high alcohol) beers from Unibroue, but somehow I am still surprised by the amount my mouth waters when I simply think about this beer. Did I mention I like it a lot? Good.

The beer sings of its thickness on the way out of the bottle, pouring out almost like coffee creamer. The shade is quite an attractive antique gold, and the beer quickly develops a very generous frothy head. The head reduces almost as quickly as it formed, but a small amount is maintained due to the rapidly rising bubbles. The smell is staggering – an estery banana / vanilla nose that sends my tastebuds to watering. A fruity-hoppiness is also present as well as some lemony citrus. The smell of alcohol is also heavy, no doubt due to the hefty ABV.

The beer’s taste is somehow even better than its nose. A lemon tang brings up the front, smoothly blending into a sweet vanilla, banana and clove middle with a touch of nutmeg. The beer finishes up with a lingering hop taste, balancing the sweet start nicely. The mouthfeel is absolutely superb. Bright and effervescent and surprisingly creamy it slides down the throat like a velvet glove. You’ll have to excuse me for waxing poetic, but I feel that cheesiness can give way to accurate description in this case.

I cannot say enough good things about this beer. If not for the high ABV, I could drink this all night.

foXXtail, Jan 27, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a murky gold color. Smells of yeast and citrus. Taste is very nice, with the alcohol well hidden. Citrus flavors emerge, as well as some spices (clove?). There's a touch of lemon, but softer, like a meringue. The mouthfeel seems a little syrupy, but not at all bad.

This is a darn good beer. While I would normally drink something maltier and darker on such a bitterly cold night, the higher ABV (while not noticible) of this one warmed me up fine. A very tasty brew indeed, one that I wil definitely be having again.

skybluewater, Jan 18, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

"I can't believe it's not Belgian"... that was my first thought upon tasting this gem from Quebec for the first time. Wow, what a beer. Beautiful pouring brew, with rich golden translucent color and massive, thick, Duvel-style head. Smell also first-rate: various spices and fruits accompany a malty base. Taste is just about perfect. I don't feel that I've tried enough beers yet to be able to give one a 5, but this is the closest I've come. Lots of banana flavor - almost sweet, but not sickly sweet...I don't generally care much for sweet beer, but this one just works somehow. Very rich, creamy mouthfeel. Overall, an absolutely outstanding beer. Compared to a couple of the "real" Belgians I have tried, I would rank it slightly higher than La Chouffe and slightly below Duvel.

PossumJenkins, Jan 18, 2005
4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

This beautiful belgian pours hazy yellow, like a misty sunrise at the beach. The head is rocky and thick, dissipating to a thin layer with belgian swirls. Lacing is impressive.

The aroma is clean and floral, spiced with cloves and a fruity bouquet, with hoppy character. I love this style of beer.

Accents of clove, banana and apricot, with a clean and crisp hoppiness, abound. The malts are well-balanced with the hop bitterness. This beer could make me lose my way back to reality. This is exceptional brew! Warms as it flows down the throat, leaving a glow from the combination of hops and alcohol.

I could drink this for eternity! Truly a beer worth seeking out!

beerfox, Jan 11, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is first off great to look at. The color is a light golden honey color, with a slight bit of cloud in the body. A constant stream of bubbles comes up the middle from the bottom of the glass and the head is thick, white and foamy. The smell is crisp and spicy, with plenty of the typical wheats that you would expect from a Belgian. Various spices and fruity aromas as well as some nice grassy flavors are all underpinned by a subtle hint of alcohol. The taste is great on this beer. It is my first Belgian of any sorts in quite a while, and after drinking it, I remember why I like them so much. The body is full and thick with wheat flavors and some spices, very reminiscent of the Hennepin (as I'm sure they're brewed using essentially the same process). It's all very mellow but the more subtle tastes come through after sitting on the tongue for just a second or two, with flavors of cherry and grape, but nothing to overpower the wheat. There's really not very much hop flavor to this beer, but that would probably ruin the delicate flavors. Dry and heavy yet tiny carbonation. Very drinkable, belies the high alcohol content.

FranklinPCombs, Jan 02, 2005
4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance: hazy orange-yellow with active carbonation supporting a persistent white head that slowly reduces to a cap and never disappears. Beautiful lacing is seen on the glass.

Aroma: scents of banana and clove waft around a lovely bouquet of light fruit, apples and pears to my nose. Sweet with a spicy backround. Lovely.

Taste: Explosive musty fruitiness that finishes dry and bitter. Oh God, yes. I can die a happy man. Yeasty, fruity, vinous, alcoholic, oh this is beer I live for. Apple and pear predominate in this vinous, alcoholic brew.

Mouthfeel: Oh yes. Just like a good Belgian Strong Pale Ale. Wonderfully attacking with carbonation and not watery. Excellent.

Drinkability: Is this heaven?

Notes: Dear God, this is good. It looks as good as any trappist and tastes as good, too. Damn I love this beer, especially when it warms. Oh thank God for Unibroue.

etaggie09, Dec 30, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a deep cloudy golden yellow with a bubbly white head. Aroma was pears, cloves, a citrus fruits, with some caramelly alcohol sneaking in as it warmed. Smells very very good. Taste was a spicy fruitiness up front, With some sugary sweetness in the middle, and a warming, malty finish with a touch of hoppy bitterness. Mouthfeel was very smooth, and you don't notice the high ABV at all. This is considerably better than I remembered it, and I used to really enjoy it. Now, I have found my New Year's drink... :)

tatterdash, Dec 29, 2004
4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

750ml from Arrowine (arlington, va)
wow. how delicicous
la fin du monde pours a nice dark straw color with a thick fluffy head that settles into a much thinner but consistent coating on the surface with the cool little blotches/rings of belgian foam sitting on top. after the pour i could instantly smell the fruity belgian aroma (not overpowering, just distinct). the brew has a slight winey alcohol hotness, but only enough to remind me that i'm drinking a 9%, and a little hint of a german weizen, with clove flavors. noticeable lemony citrus; slightly tart. spritzily carbonated, which puts a little tingle on the tongue

i've had few brews of this genre but i will most definitely have more after this (or perhaps just more of LFDM). cheers, unibroue!

bruachan, Dec 29, 2004
4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

This beer pours a golden color with a huge thick white head that settles down quickly into a manageable size. This beer is highly carbonated like champagne and leaves belgian lace on the side of my glass. Aroma is malty sweet with plenty of fruitty esters and a hint of alcohol. Flavor is fruitty and spicy, clove with a hint of banana. Malt flavor is there in the taste and also a bit of hops to balance the bitterness. I wonder if this beer is spiced or if it is all from the yeast. Nice mouthfeel but a little to carbonated for my liking, however, once the beer breathes for awhile it dies down to a reasonable level. Good drinkability for the style and the abv but definately not a session beer.

zacharius, Dec 28, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured a hazy golden yellow tihe a thick white pillowy head that left huge lacing all the way to the bottom.

Strong yeast and honey odors dominate the nose of this one.

Flavor up front is slightly sweet with orange and honey flavors mixing well with the yeast flavors for a very balanced beer.

Mouthfeel is very creamy and thick with the high ABV and heavy carbonation lending to a pleasant fuzzy warming.

Drinkability is very good on this one. Definitly could be a decent session beer.

bashiba, Dec 27, 2004
3.98/5  rDev -7.9%

Warm, hazy apricot orange with a substantial long-lived head. Lots of lace. A delightful beer to look at.

Gentle on the nose, but full of character - spicy and fruity with noticeable yeast. Wonderful lead in to drinking the beer.

Spicy and fruity to drink. Slightly heavy or syrupy, but not distracting. Sweet overall. Alcohol is noticeable, but not overbearing.

TerryW, Dec 25, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

12 ounce bottle with best-before date of October 5th 2007.

Pours a cloudy golden-yellow with huge creamy white head, plenty of carbonation, and very persistent lace along the glass. Smells appealingly of sweet citrus fruits blended with yeast and peppery spices. Flavors start with sweet fruits and pepper spice, develop into warming alcohol esters, and finish with a lovely drying yeastiness. Creamy in the mouth with strong carbonation. Superlatively appetizing and drinkable considering the high strength.

A fantastic Belgian strong pale ale! The first example I had was in a 750 ml bottle, which was only decent and perhaps not well-handled. The current 12 oz bottles are exceptionally fresh and incomparable beers.

dgallina, Dec 22, 2004
3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

Whoa! Maybe I've lived in North Carolina too long but I might not ready for a 9% ABV brew. Received this today in a beer of the Month Club and cracked this one first after checking out all these reviews. I have no comparisons in this style or alcohol content yet but I'm in for a treat. Poured a hazy yellow with very nice carbonation. Floral aroma and a real spicy kick to the taste. However, can taste the alcohol. Mouthfeel fantastic. One bottle went to the head . . . impressive. This is a different league for me and I may be ready to step up to the plate.

Backer2004, Dec 22, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is one of my favorite beers, and now that it's readily available in Manitoba, I'm Laughing.

Pours a hazy, relatively opaque golden colour with a highly carbonated head that subsides to a thin lace, smell is alternately warm and inviting and light and airy...very Belgian. The taste is of coriander and spice, mildly citrussy, also wheaty, and very complex. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated but the alcohol is so well hidden that it goes down awfully smooth, deceptively so. The only reason that the drinkability goes down IS the high alcohol, which prevents me from pounding these back. The price is also a setback, but what can you do for such a high-quality beer. The best beer brewed in Canada in my opinion, but I can't say I've drank all of them either. Very highly recommended!

After One Year: Head retains a little less after a bit of time, but the lacing stays. Aroma hasn't changed much, still very spicy, fruity and yeasty, but with a bit more of that oily orange peel bitterness. Taste is a little drier, a little yeastier. The flavours are melding into a more glorious whole and losing a bit of their distinctiveness, but that's not a bad thing. I'll come back to this in a another year.

trevorwideman, Dec 09, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

This beer is fantastic. I wholeheartedly believe that La Fin Du Monde can stand up to any beer in Belgium. I could drink this stuff all night, and on several occasions I have. This hazy masterpiece should be savored, but it's so tasty you can't help but to pound these down. Truly a ray of light on an otherwise cloudy day.

GDMFSOB, Dec 09, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -16%

Very hazy golden color with a soapy big-bubble head. Lots of carbonation. Spicy and peppery taste with a slight citrusy orange peel. Sweet malt gives way to a tart lip-smacking dryness and a very warm finish, no doubt from the high alcohol content.

A decent brew - but probably my least favorite offering to date from Unibroue.

cncbofh, Nov 24, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Finally I can review this beer after having it again.

The color is hazy peack with 2 fingers of head that falls to a quarter inch over the beer. Looks nice. The nose is really strong in fruity esters, a good belgian nose. I dig it. The flavor is good and sweet, with lots of the fruity chatacters coming through. Nice malty characters in this beer. The feel is thick and creamy...nice body on a good beer. Drinkability is good for a 9% beer. It was easy and smooth and just good all around.

kmpitz2, Nov 22, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

My first La Fin was had about a year ago, right about the time I jumped ship. After being aboard the USS Anheuser for nearly twenty years my taste buds couldn't appreciate this fine creation. Now I get sick when I think of all the money I wasted over the years on that fizzy urine. This is a great beer to drink and forget how stupid I was.
While I'm not a big fizz lover, and this brew is well carbonated, I do love this stuff. The head and the cloudy appearance are reminisent of a wheat beer. That notion hits the bricks once the nose catches the aroma of a variety of fruits. I'll sit and swirl this grog in a chalice until some of the head dies off and it warms slightly. Then, that's when I think this beer can really be appreciated. The sharp carbonation is calmed a bit and the mouthfeel is smooth, malty, fruity and not overpowered by the 9% abv content. The finish is a bit dry but that just makes you want another sip. Before you know it, the bottle is empty and you'll be yearning for another.
This is truly an all season brew. Summer or winter, this concoction is consistent, delicious and dangerously easy to drink. Oh, Canada! Land of the 3 gallon per flush toilet and home of the Unibroue brewery.

cro250klr, Nov 16, 2004
4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured a beautiful clear gold with a vouminous frothy white head that stuck around for awhile leaving nice belgian lace behind. Aroma is dry with an apple like ester and some clean pale malt with a hint of alcohol. The flavor begins with a a smooth sweet maltiness that is reminscent of a pale bock in that it has a light cereal sweetness. The flavor soon segues into a hoppy flavor that makes itself known but is not bitter or overpowering. The flavor finishes with no heat or any indicator of the high level of alcohol this brew contains which to me makes it a perfect beer to introduce a friend into the pleasure of a belgian style beer. Very beautiful beer though it definetly commands respect as it goes down smoother than a glass of milk.

RenoZymurgist, Nov 12, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pour is cloudy but pale yellow with a massive white, frothy head which sticks around for some time. Smell is mainly spicey with light fruits, wheat, and a somewhat floral / hoppy tinge all also there; distinctively belgian and inviting.

A tremendously appealing taste, a soft wheat tone mixes with fruity goodness; oranges, some other harder to ID citrus, a spicey bite (softer than Maudite but still good) and plenty of yeast as well. There is also a nice hop tone that starts it off and hangs around throughout which is enjoyable, it's there, but doesn't try to dominate the flavour like so many overly hopped beers are. There is also a noticeable alcohol tinge, not strong, but present. Overall taste is high quality all the way.

Mouthfeel, well, good, it feels full for the style (has some body) but it's not quite up there with the best, signficantly better than average though. Drinkability meanwhile is also up there, particularly for a higher alcohol content beer.

Unibroue is one of the most consistent north american breweries around, and La Fin is another perfect example of why they have such a reputation with craft beer fans.

CortexBomb, Nov 12, 2004