La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 9,160 | Reviews: 2,857
3.92/5  rDev -9.3%

La Fin Du Monde (The End of the World in English)
Triple-style Golden Ale (from Brewer's page)
19 IBUs
12 oz bottle with a freshness date of March 30, 2013 poured into a tulip on October 1, 2010. Since their sommelier recommends an age of 3-5 years, and adds that it peaks at 3 years of age, I would guess that this is around its best at two and a half years! The pour was as instructed by the sommelier: the bottle was agitated to dissolve the yeast. Yet, I poured a little separately at first to examine the clarity.

Appearance 4/5
Pours golden amber with a big creamy head. Although the beer is clear unagitated, the recommended pour causes an obvious haze. The head is quick to recede and in that respect, the looks are not as impressive as similar beers, say Westmalle Tripel. The lacing is quite good though, but I must say that the head was disappointing.

Aroma 4.5/5
Aroma is fruity, and dare I say, perfumy? Very soft and enticing, with a touch of spice. No hint of booze. But it's a little too weak. A few swirls release a toasty malt aroma time to time.

Taste 3.5/5
Slightly malty sweet, with mild fruitiness and slight bitterness. Finish is clean and slightly bittering which is a surprise considering the low IBUs. The aftertaste is long with a malty creaminess but not sweet or cloying. Some alcohol warming.

Mouthfeel 4/5
The body is medium but the effervescence of the style is missing.

Drinkability 4/5
I expect more in other departments. Yet, the 9% is not noticeable at all! Amazingly done!

3.91/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured into tuliip glass. Enormous head took several minutes to die down. Aroma is sweet fruit and huge musty yeast. Taste is banana, cloves, pineapple, white pepper and alcohol. Very sweet. The comparison to cake batter is not unwarranted. Mouthfeel is smooth and carbonation is just right. Very drinkable, although I think two would do it for me in a session due to the ABV. Very interesting, very pleasant beer.

3.91/5  rDev -9.5%

I originally sampled this beer almost 4 years ago and didn't like it. I felt the need to re-visit it, especially since I have now sampled many more beers including Tripels. Pours a somewhat cloudy, thick, blonde color. Nice sized head that does fizzle down a bit. Strong aroma consisting of citrus bananas, cloves, vanilla and an overall strong alcohol presence. There's a lot there. The mouthfeel is pretty full although something seems a bit off with a tangy, somewhat sour, very yeasty, citrus (oranges and bananas) flavor. There is an alcohol rush in there so you know it's 9%. I've had other Tripels recently that are better, Karmeliet and Chimay Cinq Cents come to mind, but this is a better beer than I original though. 4 years ago I had said -- La Fin Du Monde does mean "End of the World" which is what's going to have to happen for me to ever try this crap again! Haha, Ok, so I lied. Just nearly 4 years.

3.91/5  rDev -9.5%

A pungent, interesting and complex beer, but I'm not sure all the flavours match. I spent half an hour trying to pinpoint that delightful, mysterious peppery slightly sweet/slightly floral aroma from memory, then remembered my mom's Biryani recipe ... which uses lots of ... CARDAMOM spice! The aroma translates to the taste too ... definitely CARDAMOMmy. Sadly, a pine-needle, junipery-aroma overpowers the delicate cardamom.

Taste is predominantly citrus, but there's an overpowered peach too ... again, sadly. GOOD but not that drinkable really --rather a very sharp, strong, spicy beer that you have to be in the mood for. In an excellent value 750ml bottle, best for sharing. Personally I don't care for the slight meaty/gym-sock pungency and the sour aftertaste. But at 9%, this beer is worth consideration.

3.91/5  rDev -9.5%

Had this one quite a few times and finally getting around to reviewing it.

A - About as good as any Belgian Tripel. Nice head that lingers plenty long enough and a wonderful creamy yellow, almost pastel body. Really like the yellow/white contrast this presents

S - A wee bit spicy, with a sharpness hinting at the abv common to the style, nothing blowing me away, but that's ok

T - Clove, spices, and some subtle apple/pear-like fruitiness. Very refreshing, with limited esters on the backside. The alcohol is sneaky...slips by the palate too easily

M - Clean, smooth and much too easy to drink. One 750 makes for a comfortable evening.

This one goes great with spicy food, and is strong enough to put a cap on consumption... Definitely falls into the buy again category. Honestly its a bit of a bargain compared to comparable Tripels from Belgium. After having most of their major products, its seems that Unibroue cranks out quality thats on par with Ommengang offerings....both offering widely available Belgian style beers, especially here in the mid-atlantic states.

3.91/5  rDev -9.5%

La Fin Du Monde is a hazy peach color with a beautiful 3" white rocky head. The head has great retention and settles down to a cap after a while. Nice lacing.

Aroma -- Floral and light perfume. Tangerine/pear. Spice. Slightest bit of skunk.

Taste -- Delicate fruit flavor of tangerine and apricot. Flash of tangy sour citrus. Powdery yeast. Pepper/spice. Light bitter bite in finish. Alcohol not too evident in flavor.

Mouthfeel -- Soft mouthfeel. Dry. Lots of good carbonation. Very champagne-like.

Drinkability -- Nice beer. Good drinkability. No more than one .750 every once in a while. Watch out for that abv. Unibroue is top notch!

3.91/5  rDev -9.5%

A: Pours a mildly hazy soft orange yellow almost peach color. Soft hues of lightened pink... its actually a gorgeous color. Bone white head tops off the glass (Duvel for this taste) great retention on what looks like latte foam. However minus points on lacing, which was almost nonexistent for the record.

S: This beer is all about the combination of subtly. And I say with out thinking twice that it is the hardest beer to describe in a what's that flavor/ aroma sort of way. Anyhow here goes... cardamom spice black pepper maybe.... not overwhelmingly powerful but spicy more than anything else. I think I get a mild sort of pear like quality as well.

T: Once again this beer is insanely in balance. Annoyingly actually, I would actually prefer to get more umph in one direction or another. Its like imagining a utopian society as peaceful but boring as hell. Not that this beer is boring, it's not its good. Just annoying. Predominant flavors here are in the way of; cardamom, clove, black pepper lavender, raw sugar, as well as a kind of herbal sort of bitterness that shows from what is probably a light amount of hopping. Its not too sweet and not too dry but more important, as a good triple aught to be it... This one is predominantly dry finishing. Mild sort of fruity esters hit the front of the palate first and scream sweet flavors, just for a second or two and dissipate rapidly. Almost like a sugary melon sort of flavor but again very mild.

M: again annoyingly balanced... carbonic yet smooth.

D: INSANELY HIGH. This is a 5 our of 5 with out thinking twice and if there were a way to rate higher I would. I have had this beer with all walks of life and not only does everyone love it from people who want "light" beer to people who want "dark" beer, but the fact that this is 9 % abv is unreal. Not to mention that It is still very inexpensive for the quality of the product. I have never written so much in the drinkability category before but the end of the world deserves it... even if it is french canadian.

3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

A: Hazy yellow color with a rather big ivory-colored head that stays on for a while and leaves a nice lid of lacings.

S: A fine-tuned smell, complex with every piece at its place. Some gentle clove-like spices mix with pleasant fruit aromas of mostly tangerines and lemon peel. The wheat and fragile malts provide a nice clean background. Quite a lot of phenols and some alcohol. When tripels showcase smells like this, they are really great. Clean, refreshing and complex. Well balanced. (As a note, you could almost feel the gas in the nose from the carbonation in this one).

T: Gentle spices (mostly cloves) and fruit esters of tangerine, pear and lemon peel lead the way to a nice semi-sharp malt and wheat character. It's a kind of sweet taste, but the spices act as a good counterweight. Bread crumbs, grass and a mild taste of earthy yeast. The wheat gets a little more pronounced towards the end, resulting in that semi-tart taste sometimes noticeable in wheaty beers. The finish holds some notes of herbal alcohol, phenols, a gentle spicy hop bite and bitterness and lingering fruity notes. In general, a complex and well balanced taste.

M: Moderate body, nice slick mouthfeel with a generous amount of lively carbonation.

D: Tripels are probably my least favorite style of the high ABV Belgian styles, but I think I can go as far as saying that this is one of the best tripels I've ever had. Complex and balanced, yet with plenty of that Belgian edginess. This one is really easy to drink, but deserves to be sipped and savored at a gentle pace.

3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

Bottled served in a pint glass

A - Golden clear amber with off white 1.5 finger head with moderate lacing and moderate head retention.

S - Cloves, wheat, yeast, and etoh.

T - Clove and nutmeg spice with wheat and banana ester and a wheat backbone.

M - Medium body, medium carbonation.

O - Pretty decent for the style but not my favorite of the Unibroue.

3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

poured into tulip a light straw color with tiny bubbles racing up the glass, a la champagne.

Slightly sweet cakelike smell with subtle funky yeast, certainly not overpowering. Great mouthfeel, coats the palate and roof of mouth, hell I even feel it coating my teeth. The lingering taste is very nice. Seems a bit thin overall though, causing the alcohol to stand out a shade more, but very solid nonetheless.

3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

Beer #2 of my 11 aged Unibroue beers. This has been in my father's basement.

Age - 1.17 years

Pale, yellowish-orange color. Lots of darker sediment. Vigorous carbonation rising in specific vertical trails. Smaller head that settles to a light white covering. The aroma is very round and full. Vanilla, banana, mild yeast, and orange peel. The taste begins as a tart citrusy-hop bite followed by a crispy, spicy yeast flavor. The end has a slight alcohol zip, heightened by the fizzy carbonation. The full, malty background has degraded a bit which lets the complex cloves, citrus zest, and hops to take the front seat. The finish seems to be a bit drier as well. The mouthfeel is much lighter and less sticky than I've had before, increasing the drinkability, but reducing the mouthfeel. Overall, I'd say that this beer is in the infant stages of cellaring. The aroma is shifting, the mouthfeel has become more prickly, the beer is starting a noticeable change. It is taking on a very Champagne-ish characteristic.

Join me in about a year for bottle #3...
---

Well, year 2 is here. This bottle is 2.07 years young.

Poured into a flute this beer is very clear now. Deep golden color with an inch head that settles quickly to a half. Very active carbonation maintains the head. The smell is dry, tart, and appley. That round and mellow yeast presence is very limited as the bottle has been sitting uninterrupted for a solid 7 months. I am amazed that there is not one bit of lees or sediment in my pour. Absolutely crystal clear. The taste is becoming more like a saison in that it is dry and peppery with a metallic tone. The rich citrus fruit aspect has gone mostly away and I am left with a sweet white-wine-ish and mild dry beer. I taste what might be very slight oxidation with a noticed bit of papery tone at the end. I will make a decision next year about the future of the rest of the case. If it starts to get cardboardy, I will have a party and get rid of it.

See you again in about a year for bottle #4.

3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

This poured out a murky golden orange with about a half-inch of white foam sitting atop the body. No lace was left as this was consumed. Aroma was very spicy with notes of a lemony zest and a bit of yeast as well. The taste stays true to the smell with spiciness really dominating with a touch of fruit over a doughy backbone. Lemon and apple notes were the most distinguishable. A nice spicy bitter after taste ending this lovely brew. Mouthfeel was bubbly with about a medium body. Drinkability was good and I would definitely have this again in the future. All around good brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is a great trippel. I thouroughly enjoyed it! It has a High ABV, I believe it is around 9% or so? The beer smells amazing! The color is beautiful, and it has a strong and sweet taste to it. This beer is definitely worth the price and the experience. The only downside to it is how big the bottle is. Sometimes I want just a quick beer. This is definitely a dessert beverage served best with a meal.

3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours a transparent light gold out of a 12oz'er into a small wine glass.

Head to head against La Chouffe, considerably less carbonation and little head retention with only a rim of lace left after some sips. Smells like a delicious Belgian-style Witbier. Mouthfeel is a little thicker than La Chouffe. Taste is better to me as well.

App. 4, Smell - 4.5, Mouthfeel - 4, Taste - 3.5 - Drinkability - 4

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Purchased a 4pk, poured from their 12oz bottle @ 40 degrees into a 12oz beer glass - nice looking bottle, colorful label, like the silver foil. Had a Duvel last night, looking forward to this, inverted the bottle & stirred up the sediments, let it rest, here we go...

Appearance - Wow! Very audible carbonation, nearly 3 quick fingers of tiny, tight white bubbles, down to just under a finger in 2 minutes. Color is a completely opaque warm amber, yellow to orange hilites when held to the light, barely visible steady bubbles rising within. Appearance reminds me of a hefeweizen.

Smell - From the bottle: Fresh bakery banana bread, yeast, honey, citrus, smells great. From the glass: Same as from the bottle, but now also some floral and grass notes, very slite minerals. Really a wonderful smell, complex, inviting, time to sip...

Taste - Lots of flavors going on here, but the taste doesn't completely follow the smell. Pretty big banana, citrus and yeast up front, some tangerine, pears and plums at the middle, finishes to a floral meadow, then long minerals and alcohol. There are many nice flavors here, just not quite balanced in my opinion, and with no hops to hide the alcohol, booze is the longest flavor on the palate. Not especially surprising at 9% ABV.

Mouthfeel - Medium mouthfeel, a little juicy, a little sweet, somewhat low carbonation, drinkability is good overall.

Overall - I wanted to like this beer more - I was very excited at the appearance and the smell, and while I liked the taste, it just didn't come together for me personally. It was like shifting 3 different gears - sweet fruits, floral meadows, then booze. Don't get me wrong, it's still a very good beer, and we all have our personal preferences. Try this and see if you like it, there are many excellent reviews on this site for this beer. This beer reminded me alot of Sam Adams Imperial White actually.

3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a creamy white head that recedes to a thick collar and thin cover of bubbles across the top. Lots of bubbles streaming to the top.

The aroma is sweet with belgian yeast dominating alongside light fruits, especially pears and apricots, and plenty of grass and lightly toasted malts.

Taste has a biting sweetness up front with tons of fruity esters, bananas namely. The Belgian yeast is there in the background as is the hints of earthiness, but they're really overtaken by the sweetness. The finish is sweet and sugary, not dry.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and sticky sweet for the style. Again, finish is less dry and more sweet with the alcohol lingering in the aftertaste.

This is a decent tripel but not one of the best I've had. Having just had the Westmalle tripel tonight, this doesn't quite measure up. It's really sweet and less balanced than the best in the style.

3.9/5  rDev -9.7%

My first Belgian Strong Pale Ale. I don't think this is my favorite style, but I can definitely appreciate the complexity of this style.

A: Pours a light hazy golden with a tremendously fluffy white head. Good retention and lacing.

S: Strong aromas. I'm not sure I have the correct vocabulary to describe them accurately. Fruits (maybe citrus) come to mind.

T: Tastes just like it smells. Srong malts, good hops, and fruity sweetness comes through as it warms. For 9% abv, alcohol is well hidden

M&D: Medium body and creamy mouthfeel. I couldn't drink more than one of these at a time, but I would enjoy this again after a nice dinner.

3.89/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer has been growing on me. My girlfriend loves it, and the first time I had it I literally almost threw up, I thought it was way too yeasty and sweet.
But the more sips I have taken throughout a few years, the more it grows on me.

It smells amazing, and the taste would be perfect if it was just a little less sweet. Basically that's why I love Tripel Karmeliet - it's like a slightly less sweet and yeasty Fin Du Monde. Maybe one day I'll drink a whole glass and enjoy it.

3.89/5  rDev -10%

Appearance - uncaps with a rush of air and wispy, smoky trails from the bottle. The color is a slightly hazed straw/yellow with a fizzy white.

Aroma - the yeast gives it most of its character here - doughy, banana with other fruits, clove.

Taste - much the same as the nose. Sweet malt-derived start, estery banana and spicy yeast chiming in. Some fruitiness as well, though indistinct. A smooth finish, nothing new going on, just a sweet, barely detectable abv warmth. For 9%, this beer hides it well.

Mouthfeel - very bubbly and champagne-like. Light body.

Drinkability - though the tripel is not my favorite style, I found this to be a good sipping beer and a fine choice to help me get through the last week of winter 2008.

3.89/5  rDev -10%

App: Hazy cider in color with tiny bubbled head. Very foamy head. No lacing, average retention.

Nose: Pepper, cider, pear and peaches.

Taste: Soft yeast, pear and peaches. Crisp carbonation with malty sweetness. 9% alcohol is well hidden.

Notes: Very good.

3.89/5  rDev -10%

12 oz. bottle. Best before 6/12/06, enjoyed on 11/7/05. Pours a murky, pale yellow/orange with a medium sized, fizzy, white head. Mostly diminishing. Aroma is banana, orange, lemon and cloves. The flavor is very refreshing, oranges, apricots and bananas. The lively carbonation bites the tongue on the finish. Alcohol is very well hidden. This one was quite enjoyable.

3.88/5  rDev -10.2%

I've had this one around for a while now, over a year and a half. I always thought I had reviewed it but I guess I hadn't. Belgian Pales are finally starting to come around for me, typically this hasn't been my favorite style.

Appearance is a light, golden color. Almost light yellow. Poured a little too much off and resulted in plenty of yeast floaties in its clear body. Huge pure white head on the pour. Reduced quickly but left a nice half inch foam cap on the top. Left a nice coating of solid lace in my glass.

Smell is spicy and sweet. Corriander and white pepper predominate with some subtle citrus smells, a bit of orange rind and some pear. Typical for the style, but simple and clean in this example.

Solid malty body to start with, a bit earthy actually. Some citrus and light fruits come in next, pear and apple, followed with a bit of light spice. Finish is grassy with some straw. My guess is that the bit of age this has brought out the maltiness over the already light hops and spiciness. This is still a nicely balanced beer though.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium. Most likely it is heavier than it appears, there is a fair amount of carbonation which makes this crisp on the tongue, but weakens the mouthfeel.

Drinkability is okay. Like I said, I'm not a huge belgian pale fan, but this one comes across nicely balanced and well flavored. The prickly feel on the tongue and stomach warming nature hurt this a bit. I just think that a clean, light flavor natured beer with a lot of carbonation shouldn't feel heavy on the stomach.

3.88/5  rDev -10.2%

A Champagne like effervescent pour- in sync with the French-Canadian roots, I guess. Good head and retention of 3/4 inch or better.

A hazy gold to orange look with some spice and grain (wheat) in the aroma.This carries into the flavor. A disarmingly smooth and drinkable brew.

I put it right up there with the closer to home New Belgium Trippel.

3.88/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured into a tulip glass

A - Pours a hazy golden color that has a nice two finger head which settles down leaving a nice white coating on top of my glass. Lot's of carbonation going and a very nice lacing profile.

S - Aroma of peaches, pineapple, and spicy yeast and bread. There is also a hint of a peppery flavor that I pick up.

T - A sweet fruity and spicy first taste which smooths out and transitions to a dry and bitter finish. There is a distinct clover flavor in addition to some spicy hops on the back end. The 9% alcohol is extremely well hidden in this beer.

M - Full bodied beer with lots of carbonation on board. The foamy head remains a constant component of the beer throughout.

D - Very drinkable and smooth with very little alcohol warmth. This is dangerously drinkable and delicious. Very nice offering.

3.88/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a cloudy golden/yellow color with a fluffy white head that fades to nothing - perhaps a slight whispiness, but no crown at all. Nose has a slight spiciness to it - reminds me of apple cider. Bit of citrus. Taste has slight spincess as well with nice fruity/floral layers. Moderate aftertaste that lingers for a bit. Mouthfeel is fairly medium with fairly mild carbonation, in my opinion. This brew kind of reminds me of chardonnay. Quite drinkable.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue