La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 9,173 | Reviews: 2,862
3.85/5  rDev -10.9%

A: Dark, golden-orange color... huge white head that quickly fades... lots of lace

S: Mostly fruits (banana, oranges, apples), and spice (coriander and clove)... slightly biscuity in the middle.. some belgian yeast too.

T: Follows the nose in many ways... but lacks the smoothness and delicate transitions the nose (and the much more refined belgians) have.

M: Medium bodied. Crisp. Refreshing.

D: I think something is to be said about the long tradition of brewing the belgians have perfected... unibroue has a good beer on their hands... it just needs a few tweaks...

3.85/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured cloudy yellow-orange with a huge off-white head that stuck around. Yeasty, estery Belgian aroma, subtle with a multitude of notes, banana and honey among them. Taste was a little sweet for my own liking, but probably not a flaw, and it was nicely balanced with a sour middle bite, and a dry finish. Another complex, challenging brew from the folks at Unibroue.

A - Pours a murky orange with 1/4 inch of foam

S - yeastiness and citrusy orange and lemon

T - sweet malts, lemony citrusy hops, cloves and some spices

M/D - very carbonated, but very tasty. The carbonation keeps me from having alot, but not from lack of want. Good tasting for sure

3.85/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured a cloudy golden yellow with pearl like irridescence when held to the light. Big white head bubbled up quickly, dissipating not long after the pour.

The smell is fruity and sweet. Yeast is very noticeable. You can smell the carbonation and the alcohol (probably because of the CO2).

This is really two different beers. Tasting the beer with the head up reminds me of champagne. The carbonation dominates the palate and it finishes dry. Wait a few minutes when the head is flat and more of the beer flavor appears. The malts and yeast come through. Sweeter and more creamy. For me this is much better after sitting for a while.

The mouthfeel shares the same characteristics as the taste. Carbonation fills the mouth all the way to the back of the throat. Very light and crisp when accompanied with head. Smoother and more weight later in the glass.

The life of this brew as it sits in the glass is ever changing. If you pour it in a small goblet or wine glass you can continue to give this beer new life and watch the change over and over. It really has a lot of character. The high abv is not apparent until it is reborn in your glass 3 or 4 times. Then is starts to warm and flush the skin. Really similar to the spumanti.

I have to say I am not in love with this style. I have only tried a handful, but this is by far the most interesting. I recommend everyone try it once. It would be a nice change of pace to replace the bubbly to celebrate th new year. Cheers.

3.85/5  rDev -10.9%

Nice looking bottle. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a cloudy golden-orange color with a white sparkling head. The smell is almost like a hefe, sweet with banana and clove, Belgian sugar. Taste is also strong on the clove/spice with no real hop taste and only a slight alcohol aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation that burns the tongue. The overall drinkability is reduced by the very strong clove/spice taste. Overall, I think you're better off with Maudite.

3.85/5  rDev -10.9%

A- A hazy golden yellow with a nice off white head. It slowly dissipates and leaves a nice sticky lacing. Also has very lively carbonation.

S- Can detect the sweet malts, phenols and the alcohol.

T- This is a complex beer. Starts out sweet with a strong citrus taste. Then comes the yeast, and it finishes dry with a hint of alcohol but not as much as you would expect from a 9% beer.

M- Very lively. The carbonation is present and you want to sit and savor it.

D- I nurse the bottle slowly. This isn't a beer you can drink quickly but should sip and savor. Surprisingly the alcohol isn't overwhelming but very subtle

Had this in a bottle in Columbia, PA

Pours a semi-cloudy pale amber with a 3" white head.

The smell is of mild, sour yeast.

The taste is clean yet tart and sweet banana bread. The hop bitter is mild.

The carbonation is medium-high with a LOT of tiny bubbles. Mouthfeel is medium.

A very refreshing and tasty brew with a lot of alcohol.

3.85/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured into large red wine goblets.

Pale orange, very pretty, with a small off white head that shrinks to wisps. Strong belgian yeasty aroma. Strong esters of fruit. Way too fizzy. There is a short, harsh bitterness followed by moderate candi sugar. Apple mostly. Thick. Alcohol noticeable. Not very smooth. Full bodied.

Overall: I'm not a belgian connoisseur first and foremost. I had a hard time finishing this.

3.85/5  rDev -10.9%

A: cloud-like, frothy white head sits on a hazy golden body. riping carbonation almost tfighting

S: flower-like bouquet. reminds me a little of a biere de garde with the fruit/bread qualities im getting. sweet bread from the malt reminds me that it is a tripel. yeasty esters. a real little bit of chalky hops at the finish.

T: sweet fruits, not too overpowering. soft pear. a little bit of sour/tartness. pear definitely lingers on the palate on the finish. interesting flavor. hard to believe this thing is 9%abv!

M: the body is actually a little lighter than i expected. a little too light compared to most other tripels.

D: a good tripel, but i wouldn't say great. just a little too light in the body. first tripel where i got more in the nose than in the sip.
side note: this was served from a 12oz. bottle with a foil wrapped crown. i used an opener to pop it and was surprised/shocked to see that it was a screw top. hmmmm.

3.84/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L (3.75) - This beer is a nice cloudy yellow color. HUGE head on top. Too much, really.

S (4) - The smell is sometimes cloves, sometimes metallic, sometimes just that light malt smell.

T (3.75) - My first sip was disappointing. Just not there. As I drank more, I get the grain taste, along with a bit metallic tastes. A little alcohol taste at the end.

F (4) - mouthfeel is okay. Nice carb, but a little dry.

O (3.75) - This beer was alright. Not especially flavorful, or anything of note. I feel if it was produced by a less prestigious brewery, people would rank it lower. I also am not going to get overly excited for "High ABV." High ABV is fine, but it doesn't make a mediocre beer good.

3.83/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Great beer for entertaining. To hell with wine!! Popping the cork and serving this beer with a nice meal of pork or chicken will be an experience for any guest.

The flavor is very rich and intense, maybe a bit confusing. Your taken aback but in a good way the first time you try this. As someone who eats green olives on cans of smoked fish and very much loves intense flavors, this is a gem of a beer.

After being thoroughly impressed with this beer and drinking many of them, I can say that I do not prefer this as a session beer. The strength gets too obvious after a beer or two and it is better left as a novelty for me, like I mentioned, being served with meals for special occasions

I hear the same things about this beer from anyone who has tried this beer, they cant believe its %9. It is rare to have people who do not usually like the taste of beer in general appreciating a %9 beer! I think it is the licorice that transforms the strong alcohol note into a spicy one, I perceive the same thing with sambuca or ouzo.

3.83/5  rDev -11.3%

Kinda skeptical as this is a tripel from Canada. Belgian style beers are in my top tier of beer styles so i am quite picky. Smell was okay. The look of the beer was a tad light for my rxperience w/ tripels. Taste was okay, not authentic solid belgian. Overall its quite decent for Canada. U may want to pass on this beer and pickup a belgian tripel.
A-

3.83/5  rDev -11.3%

La Fin Du Monde is a beer that I thought would just blow me away. I enjoy the Belgian strong pale ale style, for starters, and I really did anticipate being blown away by this one. And for my particular palate it's good, but not great.

The Fin poured well enough, leaving a tighly constructed head that didn't linger too long. The coloring was an orange-yellow hue, lots of floating sediment. Well carbonated, true to the style. Nose was ok, but not overly impressive. Hints of fruit and malts mixed with a definite alcohol twang.

The taste was kind of muddled for me. Not overly sweet, it still managed to be a bit cloying. Hints of fruits, figs perhaps. Slight apricot overtones. Good balance between the malts and hops. Very slight bitterness. The sample got slightly better as the beer warmed. Not overly complex.

The mouthfeel was kind of muddy and slack. I expected a more carbonated presence in the mouth, but I came away with a slightly earthy feel. Not appreciably smooth. Drinkability was good considering all of the factors. High ABV, slightly noticible in the mildly metallic aftertaste.

Not something I'll go out of my way to get again. There are better Belgian strong pale ales in my opinion (Delirium Tremens comes immediately to mind). Still not too bad, though. Glad I gave it a shot.

3.83/5  rDev -11.3%

33CL BOTTLE POURED INTO DUVEL GLASS.

a - hazy orange blonde glow, creamy thick 4 finger head sitting atop, brussels lace great.

S - cinnamon and spices really hit me here amongst a sublte alcohol kick, no real apparent hops or malt there, maybe a slight tart grapefruit?

T- reminescent of a high abv hefe weizen. Lots of banana and cloves, spices tingle the tongue again. A sweet alcohol kick as the aftertaste linger, very well balanced between flavours and alcohol

M- high carbonation, but very creamy

D- a fine brew but dare i say i prefer delirium tremens. This is just a touch too tart for my tongue compared to others. The beer looks great and i wouldnt knock it back, but i would take a tremens before it.

From a 750mL to a wine glass

This beer poured a golden yellow with a lot of suspended sediment. This could have been the result of the hour or two I gave it to cool and settle out before tasting after I purchased it, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. 1/2" of foamy head which lingered to the end of the glass. Bubbles constantly like a glass of champagne.

Smells very wheaty. This is kind of suprising from a tripel. Can't detect alcohol in the aroma, well hidden for a 9.0%

Experienced a sharp bite of carbonation at first, which fades to a very wheaty body. Reminded me of Hoegaarden for some reason. I find this confusing for the style, though it was not altogether unpleasant. This mellowed to an almost candy-sweet aftertaste, which lingered to the next sip. Didn't get much hoppiness, maybe just a bit of bitter. A lot of wheat though.. Alcohol was again very well hidden for a beer of this strength.

Mouthfeel was soda-like and fizzy. Not too full, reminded me of a mouth full of sprite.

Overall, I'm not sure if I got a strange batch or what, but this beer was not what I was expecting. I'm a big fan of tripels, and La Fin kind of threw me for a loop. It wasn't bad really, just took me by suprise I suppose. I'll definitely be trying this again to see if I had a fluke experience or what.

3.83/5  rDev -11.3%

a: two fingers of bubbly long-lasting fluffy white head sits on a cloudy rust colored body; gorgeous

s: sweet sugar is the first to hit the nose followed by scents of pears and apples followed by spices and just a hint of alcohol

t: a lot dryer than i would have thought; raw wheat and grains is predominant followed by some cidery/vinegary fruit flavors; winter spices and alcohol round out the taste.

m: pretty creamy and a little syrupy with light carb

d: for me this is not the most flavorful tripel but still a very good offering with some interesting and complex flavors

3.83/5  rDev -11.3%

I've had this brew many times, but never got around to reviewing it. So here goes...

Bottle stamped: J281007440

A: Pours a hazy yellow color with an orange hue. About 1 finger of bright white head which reduces to a thick ring, leaving some good lacing behind. Some carbonation is coming off the bottom of the glass.

S: Nose is of cloves, some bananas, small citrus notes, and some esters.

T: Spicy and sweet. Light fruit notes with some faint pepper notes in the background. I'm also getting some very small acidic notes, dry finish.

M: Light/medium-bodied, good carbonation which cleanses the palate well. The 9% ABV is almost non existent. A very easy drinking tripel.

3.83/5  rDev -11.3%

The End of the World arrived in my glass an orange-yellow color and held thick lacing. A great beer to look at and admire.

The smell was a foggy and floury (and yeasty) orange peel and spice, but it was too little and too far away for me..

The alcohol in the taste seemed somewhat overpowering. It diminished as I drank, but never really completely put me at ease. An orange liqueur taste felt its way through--and I thought of Grand Marnier. An ample hop finish.

The mouthfeel was really lacking for me in this otherwise
uni(brou)que brew.

3.83/5  rDev -11.3%

A: Pours a hazy corn/gold colour, frothy 1/2 inch head that stays through out, apparent high carbonation visible.

S: bubble gum, coriander, cloves, sweet oranges, ripe apples.

T: I get fruit cake. Good old fruits with spices and alcohol in the background. Cloves are present with some coriander. Yeast flavours dominate the palate with an undertone of bitterness. The finish is sweet.

M: Great carbonation, cleans the palate but does not have the puckering feel that other Unibroue products have.

O: This is a very well enjoyable beer. It's not overly complex, flavours are a bit hidden and it is sweeter then bitter on the balance scale. I think it's a great introduction to a Tripel.

750 ml bottle poured into a tulip glass

A. It pours a beautiful dark yellow with a thick white head which last for awhile, no lacing.

S. I smell belgian yeast followed by some sweet light fruit. As the beer warmed a little I began to detect some spice(clove) at the end.

T. It tastes like very sweet malt and has some sweet fruit in the back ground. It tastes more like a Belgian strong ale to me as i am not getting the complex flavors i expected.

M. Its pretty thin with some carbonation that fades quickly

O. I really enjoyed this beer but expected more complexity in the flavor. I would not hesitate to get another bottle as it is delicious.

3.83/5  rDev -11.3%

The consensus around here seems to be that Unibroue is the greatest brewery to come out of Canada. Some have even said it's the best brewery on the continent. With that motivation, I've tried several of their brews, each time being highly disappointed by the same unappealing [what I call] "clovey" flavor.

Here, now, I've reached what many consider the be all, end all of Unibroue: La Fin Du Monde. I have low expectations, so I can't be disappointed, and I have to give myself at least a little bit of credit for being willing to give them another shot despite past experience.

The only indication I found regarding the age of this bomber was a "best before" date of 03-14-09. I should be safe.

I gave this beer the royal treatment by pouring it into my favorite glass, a Stone IRS tulip glass. It poured a clear but very bubbly golden hue, but almost half of the glass was filled by a fluffy white head that settled to no less than half its original height, clinging to the sides of the glass.

I let it settle several feet away from me as I sat back on the couch and began to type, and I could still smell its powerful aromas. The initial and most powerful scent was sweet but hard to identify...not quite fruity, closer to floral, but almost like eucalyptus leaves. Mixed in with this was a bit of lemon and, just beneath the surface...uh oh...cloves. At this point, though, the cloves were not offensive.

Overall, a strong, pleasant aroma, but with no really compelling features.

Drumroll...

I took my first sip.

...and it was almost an entirely different experience from what I expected from the odors. Primarily malty, the sweetness turned to a sort of carob with a persistent but mild aftertaste. I could also feel the tingly burning sensation of clove (and maybe 2/3 of that 9% ABV), but it was not overpowering, at least not initally.

A swirl, another sniff, and another sip. Banana. More carob. A little burning at the finish, but again, not enough to scare me away.

If I were rating taste based on this beer vs. other Unibroue beers, I'd give it a 5. But since I'm rating to style and to my personal preferences, I'm giving it a 3.5. It's definitely drinkable, and I can't say I dislike it, but given the ever-growing number of beers I truly enjoy and the nearly infinite number of beers I've yet to try, I probably won't be laying down any more dough for this brew again any time soon.

3.83/5  rDev -11.3%

Got this bottle at the flying saucer in Charlotte NC.
Pours a bright yellow hazy body with a nice froathy white head that disappears pretty quickly but maintains a thin film.
Smells of dried apples, sweet funky esters, dried grassy hops and lots of tart belgian styled funk.
Taste heavy of caramel, corn husks, grassy undertone and a hint of raisens. There's some definite sweet, belgian ester and dextrins floating in there making an hard to describe sweet, funky blend.
Finishes moderately dry and a little tart.
Very smooth and drinkable for the abv and over all style

3.83/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner. It hazy a hazy unfiltered amber color that I like. There is so much carbonation rising for the first couple minutes that it looks like an underwater volcano. Nice persistent lacing. The aroma is lemon, a bit nutty, and a bit too yeasty for my tastes. The flavor is rich, grain and mild hops, nutty, yeasty, and a bit herbal--like Ricola cough drops. Mouth feel is thick and creamy. This is a style of ale that I am not familiar with. I see so many if you rating this ale very high, and saying it is a perfect example of a tripel. I think my rating is influenced by my limited experience with and understanding of this style. Certainly very good, to most everyone else, outstanding.

3.82/5  rDev -11.6%

Marked "Best before 10-11-14" on the bottle.
This was a difficult beer to review. I had this several times long before I got into beer and have not had it in several years.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip- pours a yellow golden color with a three finger head, which quickly dissipated, and left almost no lacing.

Smell's very sweet. I smell some banana, a little bit of yeast, and a little bit of booze (very subtle).

Taste is also very sweet- not like the tripels that I know and love (Delirium Tremens, St. Bernardus, De Dolle Dulle Teve). Definitely sweet malts and a little alcohol coming through along with a bit of yeast. There's an additional characteristic to the sweetness that is hard to describe- for me though it's too sweet without enough Belgian yeast backing.

Mouthfeel is excellent- medium light body with excellent carbonation. This doesn't taste like a tripel to me- all of Unibroue's beers have a unique characteristic. I wish I knew the ingredients and the process.

3.82/5  rDev -11.6%

I poured into my glass to a large pillowy, white head. It is yellow in color. The aroma is filled with lemon and spice. I also detect notes of alcohol and banana. The taste is citrus, banana, alcohol, and spice. It is quite pleasant on a sunny spring day. I get a slight warming from the alcohol. It is a good beer, but it is not my favorite style.

Cheers!