La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,861 | Hads: 9,473
3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

A: Pours a hazy corn/gold colour, frothy 1/2 inch head that stays through out, apparent high carbonation visible.

S: bubble gum, coriander, cloves, sweet oranges, ripe apples.

T: I get fruit cake. Good old fruits with spices and alcohol in the background. Cloves are present with some coriander. Yeast flavours dominate the palate with an undertone of bitterness. The finish is sweet.

M: Great carbonation, cleans the palate but does not have the puckering feel that other Unibroue products have.

O: This is a very well enjoyable beer. It's not overly complex, flavours are a bit hidden and it is sweeter then bitter on the balance scale. I think it's a great introduction to a Tripel.

750 ml bottle poured into a tulip glass

A. It pours a beautiful dark yellow with a thick white head which last for awhile, no lacing.

S. I smell belgian yeast followed by some sweet light fruit. As the beer warmed a little I began to detect some spice(clove) at the end.

T. It tastes like very sweet malt and has some sweet fruit in the back ground. It tastes more like a Belgian strong ale to me as i am not getting the complex flavors i expected.

M. Its pretty thin with some carbonation that fades quickly

O. I really enjoyed this beer but expected more complexity in the flavor. I would not hesitate to get another bottle as it is delicious.

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

The consensus around here seems to be that Unibroue is the greatest brewery to come out of Canada. Some have even said it's the best brewery on the continent. With that motivation, I've tried several of their brews, each time being highly disappointed by the same unappealing [what I call] "clovey" flavor.

Here, now, I've reached what many consider the be all, end all of Unibroue: La Fin Du Monde. I have low expectations, so I can't be disappointed, and I have to give myself at least a little bit of credit for being willing to give them another shot despite past experience.

The only indication I found regarding the age of this bomber was a "best before" date of 03-14-09. I should be safe.

I gave this beer the royal treatment by pouring it into my favorite glass, a Stone IRS tulip glass. It poured a clear but very bubbly golden hue, but almost half of the glass was filled by a fluffy white head that settled to no less than half its original height, clinging to the sides of the glass.

I let it settle several feet away from me as I sat back on the couch and began to type, and I could still smell its powerful aromas. The initial and most powerful scent was sweet but hard to identify...not quite fruity, closer to floral, but almost like eucalyptus leaves. Mixed in with this was a bit of lemon and, just beneath the surface...uh oh...cloves. At this point, though, the cloves were not offensive.

Overall, a strong, pleasant aroma, but with no really compelling features.

I took my first sip.

...and it was almost an entirely different experience from what I expected from the odors. Primarily malty, the sweetness turned to a sort of carob with a persistent but mild aftertaste. I could also feel the tingly burning sensation of clove (and maybe 2/3 of that 9% ABV), but it was not overpowering, at least not initally.

A swirl, another sniff, and another sip. Banana. More carob. A little burning at the finish, but again, not enough to scare me away.

If I were rating taste based on this beer vs. other Unibroue beers, I'd give it a 5. But since I'm rating to style and to my personal preferences, I'm giving it a 3.5. It's definitely drinkable, and I can't say I dislike it, but given the ever-growing number of beers I truly enjoy and the nearly infinite number of beers I've yet to try, I probably won't be laying down any more dough for this brew again any time soon.

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

Got this bottle at the flying saucer in Charlotte NC.
Pours a bright yellow hazy body with a nice froathy white head that disappears pretty quickly but maintains a thin film.
Smells of dried apples, sweet funky esters, dried grassy hops and lots of tart belgian styled funk.
Taste heavy of caramel, corn husks, grassy undertone and a hint of raisens. There's some definite sweet, belgian ester and dextrins floating in there making an hard to describe sweet, funky blend.
Finishes moderately dry and a little tart.
Very smooth and drinkable for the abv and over all style

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner. It hazy a hazy unfiltered amber color that I like. There is so much carbonation rising for the first couple minutes that it looks like an underwater volcano. Nice persistent lacing. The aroma is lemon, a bit nutty, and a bit too yeasty for my tastes. The flavor is rich, grain and mild hops, nutty, yeasty, and a bit herbal--like Ricola cough drops. Mouth feel is thick and creamy. This is a style of ale that I am not familiar with. I see so many if you rating this ale very high, and saying it is a perfect example of a tripel. I think my rating is influenced by my limited experience with and understanding of this style. Certainly very good, to most everyone else, outstanding.

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%

Marked "Best before 10-11-14" on the bottle.
This was a difficult beer to review. I had this several times long before I got into beer and have not had it in several years.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip- pours a yellow golden color with a three finger head, which quickly dissipated, and left almost no lacing.

Smell's very sweet. I smell some banana, a little bit of yeast, and a little bit of booze (very subtle).

Taste is also very sweet- not like the tripels that I know and love (Delirium Tremens, St. Bernardus, De Dolle Dulle Teve). Definitely sweet malts and a little alcohol coming through along with a bit of yeast. There's an additional characteristic to the sweetness that is hard to describe- for me though it's too sweet without enough Belgian yeast backing.

Mouthfeel is excellent- medium light body with excellent carbonation. This doesn't taste like a tripel to me- all of Unibroue's beers have a unique characteristic. I wish I knew the ingredients and the process.

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%

I poured into my glass to a large pillowy, white head. It is yellow in color. The aroma is filled with lemon and spice. I also detect notes of alcohol and banana. The taste is citrus, banana, alcohol, and spice. It is quite pleasant on a sunny spring day. I get a slight warming from the alcohol. It is a good beer, but it is not my favorite style.

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%

Aromas of Belgian yeast, light honey, tart fruit and a hint of biscuity malt. As it warms a bit you get some more breadiness and an almost champagne/grape smell emerges.

The taste is fairly smooth and has notes of grain/wheat, pineapple, peaches, clove/yeast and some tartness. It begins with honey and biscuity malt and moves into light fruit with a hint of bitterness/light sparkling cider quality. The yeast gives a slight pepper note as well. This beer is very complex and some of the flavors are hard to place. The mouthfeel is coating, with moderate thickness and high carbonation.

Overall this beer has great complexity and satisfying flavors. Definitely one of my favorite and more flavorful triples around and I will most likely have it again.

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%

Appearance: Bubbly white head billows up with the pour then disintegrates into a ring that clings to the sides. Gorgeous golden with just the right amount of haze. Color and clarity are perfect but head is weak. .

Smell: Wonderful fruit esters from the yeast reminiscent of apricot or peach. The alcohol spice as well as peppery clove is detectable. A sour touch typical of the Unibroue strain. No hops or malt character detectable in the nose.

Taste: Delicious malt sweetness with apricot notes followed by the peppery clove spiciness and alcohol warmth. The high alcohol content gives a hot solvent quality on the throat. Enjoy the tingling spiciness on the lips and palate. Essentially not anything noticeable from the grains or hops. The aftertaste is hot and dry. I wish the grist gave more depth and that the hops showed me something. I feel the taste and smell rely essentially entirely on the yeast. Thank god it is a great strain.

Mouthfeel: High fuzzy carbonation with medium body. This is about perfect

Drinkability: Well done. There are better Tripels but not many in the Western Hemisphere can top this one.

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%

What a great experience this beer was. I've had to change my review on it having polished off 8 of them this month. At first, i wasn't sure about this beer (or the Maudite), but I have discovered that they are really fine brews.

The head quickly diminishes and leaves you with a bright yellow pint of beer. Smells like a hoppy wheat beer and has similar grapefruit notes.

The taste is outstanding. A blend of pear, hops and alcohol that don't overpower each other, but rather fit smoothly into one another.

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%

Appears a hazy, light gold with a small white head that slowly fades into a mild cap. Scattered streaks of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of estery pepper, cloves, citrus, and orange with a tropical fruit salad aroma coming through.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with that signature spicy tropical fruit. There is also a vanilla cream flavor that comes through in the taste.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, mildly spiced with spritzy carbonation tickling the tongue.

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%

This was poured into a tulip glass.

A - golden straw color, slightly hazy, thick foamy head with good retention

S - sweetly malty with hop accents (Styrian Goldings or Saaz perhaps?) as it warms the hops are more readily present, there's some yeasty fruitiness, but perhaps not as much as expected

T - sweet malt followed by a relatively strong hop finish for a Belgian-style beer, also very dry on the finish

M - light to medium body, high carbonation

D - This is a decent Belgian strong ale, but it's a bit hoppy and thinner than I expected. I really wanted to adore this beer as I've heard so much about it, but it really didn't quite live up to my expectations.

3.81/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bought a 4 pk of bottles from Wegmans Holt Rd on 3/23/13. price $ 10.99.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a St Bernardus chalice, served around 50 f.

appearance: hazy lemon yellow with a 1 finger sugar white head. not much lacing.

aroma: sugar cookies with lemon glaze.

mouthfeel: full, solid but a little lifeless.

taste: crystal malt with lemon zest that provides the flavor and the bitterness.

notes: Mt first Unibroue bottle and I must say I am a little disappointed. Simple taste, not bad but lacking complexity of some Tripels.

3.81/5  rDev -11.6%

A - I say good, mostly because it's shocking. Pour out of the bottle and it is a very pale, slightly cloudy, yellow. Nothing at all like I was expecting from a triple.

S - Spices, something sweet, maybe a little clove in there. Very mild smelling.

T - For a 9%, I am not tasting any alcohol in this. Lot of clove, some fruit and yeast.

M - Medium to medium-light bodied, some nice carbination.

D - Ridiculously drinkable. I could put these away often and quickly and probably drink myself to death. Maybe it's just the triple distilling, but this goes down too smoothly and too easily for how much alcohol is in there. Nice, mild tasting.

3.81/5  rDev -11.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a La Fin Du Monde tulip glass at cellar temperature.

L - Pale gold color, hazy, with a 3 finger white creamy head. Looks like you could eat it with a spoon. Crazy good retention and nice lacing.

S - Spicy yeast aroma, almost witbier-like, which kind of caught me by surprise, citrus aromas like orange and lemon, and some other spices as well.

T - Follows the aroma with a spicy yeast bite, the sweetness and tanginess of the citrus flavors, and more spicy flavors like cloves coming through. Slightly bitter at the finish. No alcohol noticeable at all which is remarkable for 9% ABV.

F - Medium-bodied, definitely well-carbonated, with a crisp and dry finish. Creamy, mouth-coating texture especially if you swish it around in your mouth a little bit. Still no sign of the alcohol, which is astounding.

O - I've heard a lot of good things about this beer and it was definitely tasty. I'm not going to say I haven't had better Tripels, but one sure positive regarding this beer is the way it hides the alcohol. No sign of it anywhere at any point. The major downside is that it just smells and drinks way too much like a witbier for my taste. Nevertheless, it is highly drinkable and seems well-suited for a hot summer day.

3.81/5  rDev -11.6%

This brew is big on head as it pours into a tulip glass. The yeast clouds the orange hue and swirls through the glass. The aroma is a flower that I just can't place. The taste is a sweet, peppery spiced ale; the alcohol is pronounced as is the yeast and malt. The consistency is smooth and chewy, a true mouthfeel. The drinkability suffers only because for what ever reason the brew dries out my sinuses everytime I dirnk it.

3.81/5  rDev -11.6%

12 oz. twist off bottled pored into a snifter. pores a light golden color with a small white head that fades away to nothing. massive amounts of yest sediment in the bottle.

smell is spicey and hoppy. hints of fruits, wheats and candy sugar.

taste has a nice bubblegum flavor to it. a little mediciney as it gets warmer though. also yeasty and wheaty. i was actually expecting a little more character to the taste. a little dissapointed.

full bodied and dry aftertaste.

this wasn't as good as i expected. the smell was the dominate part of this brew. the taste and smell were way off from each other. not a bad brew overall, i just thought it wasn't as good as it seemed. oh well. was worth the try.

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

This is a pretty nice beer, don't get me wrong, but I've tried it numerous times and still don't think it lives up to the hype. It's pretty with a tall white head and hazy straw yellow body.It smelled sweet and spicy (corriander) with a similar flavor. I just find the flavor to fall flat, I get some, but not a great complexity out of it. Still, it's very easy to drink and with little hint of the alcohol. I'd probably go for Duvel instead of this though.

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

La Fin Du Monde: The End of the World. Had it in a 750 ml bottle, with the cork top. Until I joined BA, I would never have bought such a beer. Until I reviewed so many (now 100! Beers), I would have gushed over this beer. But I must say, it seems like a paler version of its Belgian counterparts. It was a wonderful looking beer, but had huge chunks of the sediment floating in the second glass, despite my best efforts to pour it steady. Cloudy, golden appearance. Aroma was very pleasant of citrus and yeast. The beer itself was very nice, crisp and clean (almost airy) with a mix of bananas and citrus (fresh oranges). All in all, this beer did not have the aggressive characteristics of a beer like Duvel, and at six bucks a bottle, I was looking for more.

Original Rating Date:
May 18, 2008

High quality tripel. Very easy to drink, made a good summer beer. Cloudy golden hue. Fruity, lemony smell. Taste is well rounded, fruity and spicey. Alcohol not very detectable. This isn't really my style but it's enjoyable. I just wish the Unibroue products were a little easier on the wallet.

First had: bottle at Washington House, Sellersville, PA

Pours a cloudy yellow-orange with a small white head that disappeared almost instantly. Yeasty aroma with lots of fruits, and a bit of spice. Bready taste, malty, light sugars, a touch of spice, fruit salad: banana, peach, pear, and a lot of sour orange and grapefruit zest, giving an instant drying effect. Medium mouthfeel, a bit syrupy, with a crisp, dry finish. Pleasantly drinkable.

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

341mL bottle. Pours a beautiful cloudy golden with a modest white head and some yeast particulate floaties. Nose is spice, orange peel, yeast, granny-smith apples. Initial taste shows how high the carbonation is in this tripel. Lots of yeast, bubblegum, citrus, cloves, and tropical fruit. Very smooth and creamy rather than watery and acidic. Alcohol is perfectly hidden. Refreshing, not too light, and awesome! One of the first beers I ever fell in love with.

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured into a tulip glass it produces an inch of head that leaves lacing in clumps. The appearance is golden and somewhat cloudy. The aroma is of cloves, coreander and malt. The taste is very spicy with cloves and malty richness. Maybe a bit of citrus there. The feel is rich with a clean finish.

Seems like something best sipped after a rich meal. It's not something I'd knock down while mowing the lawn.

Defintely something I'll return to when I'm in the mood for Belgian Tripel.

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

This was a corked and caged 750ml bottle. Uncorked with gunsmoke showing, poured into Leffe glass as a foaming pale straw coloured liquid with slight haze. Plenty of life in the head that lasted, and easily re-energised when swirled in the glass. The smell was quite a wake-up call. Possibly one of the most unusual collection of aromas I have perceived from a beer glass. The nearest beer smell to this was from an Orval, but there was much more complexity to LFDM with sweet apples adding to the funkiness. This confusion continued in the taste; plenty of sweetness but with spice, alcohol disguised but warming.. High carbonation adding to the nice mouthfeel.

In summary, I'm still confused over this beer! I need to try it again, but I found it a little too challenging and too sweet for my palate.

EDIT: so I have tried this brew again, and I now appreciate it as a very good tripel. For this reason, I am changing the drinkability score from 3 to 4!

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 25.4 ounce bottle with cork closure. The label shows a "best before" date of August 2016. An easy pour into a schooner glass produced about 3/4 inch of a creamy white and exceedingly sticky head, reducing only a little between sips. The beer is a hazy, pale golden color with a darker bronze in the center, and with swirling carbonation.

The aroma is funky, with subtle yeast and malt notes, but actually quite light. The flavor mildly funky and alcoholic, with strong notes of earthy barnyard, sour, fermented fruit, and grainy malts. The alcohol accentuates the pungency of the various aroma-flavors, and imparts a port-like quality. The finish is boozy and moderately lingering, with a tart, Kirsch-like quality. The body seems fairly light.

A beer well worth a try, but I've tried others of this general style which I think are superior. The funky flavors are within bounds and there is plenty of complexity to savor.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue