Microbrew Invitational

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada | website

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,917 | Ratings: 9,798
3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass

Appearance: Hazy dark yellow. Fairly opaque with a thin white head

Smell: Belgian yeast, lemon and citrus notes

Taste: Yeasty with orange and lemon tartness coming through in the middle. There is a slight sourness that encompasses the taste. The finish is mildly dry and malty sweet.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Tried my first Fin today, out of a bomber+ size 25.4 oz corked bottle. The fin du monde pours out frothy as can be, with a very light white head that filled half the glass on a slow pour. No problem, worth the wait for it to settle. Carbonation level is actually pretty moderate, despite all the initial effervescence.
Smells both malty and yeasty, reminds me a bit of a hefe at first, then I detect a bit of grape sneaking up from around the corner it seems.
First sip is surprisingly light, not quite what I expected. Only a hint of bitterness, then I get a nice warmth surrounded by plenty of citrus orangey flavor, interesting. The cirtrus is very well balanced by the body of the beer and a nice finishing sweetness. The bottle conditioning keeps the carbonation from overpowering the flavor, and lends a nice softness to the texture. I didn't even notice the high alcohol content until I was well into the bottle, you kind of just ease into it like an old la-z-boy recliner.
Although not spectacular, I'd call the fin du monde eminently drinkable, and I'll indeed sample it again.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured into a tulip from a bottle.

A: Pours a burnished yellow. A two finger head appears and quickly recedes to a quarter inch cap.

S: Spicy and alcoholic. A bit of orange citrus. A deep inhale brings out some yeasty undertones.

T: Sweet with some frutiness. I taste mainly pear. I get some clove and other herbal notes I can't quite place.

M: It is crisp and dry up front. The body is feels light because of the high carbonation. I think the finish is a bit sticky, more so than I am used to.

D: I like this beer. It is easy to drink, but not as much as other tripels I have encountered. It goes down easy, but the alcohol let its presence be known.

Notes: I am torn with this beer. I really enjoy it, but I prefer other tripels a bit more. While it is a delicious beer that I will continue to keep, it will find its way only occasionally to my glass.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours a medium yellow w/ three finger white head that lingers a while. The smell is of pears, fruit, spice, apple. The smell is a little more tame than I was expecting. Very light and pleasant though... The taste has a little more oomph to it. It's a pretty sweet beer, but good. Not much alcohol taste, and at 9% ABV, that's impressive. I'd actually like to taste a little alcohol burn with this one. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth. Nice fruity, light aftertaste. Drinkability is pretty high. I could drink several of these before the alcohol would catch up, it doesn't taste like a high ABV beer. Overall, this is a good beer that borders on great. It doesn't quite reach that level, but it's close. I'd definitely buy this again, especially in the warm weather months.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a goblet.
Best before 1/24/15

Poured a cloudy golden champagne with a thick head of lacy white foam.
Smells earthy and slightly sour.
Slightly bitter with a sourish finish. mouthfeel is carbonated and reminiscent of champagne.
A nice example of this style.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.13.2013
Barley vine-behind the bar
La fin du monde-end of the world
Unibroue
Chambly, Quebec

Good gracious eh?

I couldn't resist. Save for molson golden.. This is my first foray into Canadian beer.

A- hazy beach sand... Very pretty and elegant looking
S- clove, cardamom, cinnamon, cotton candy!
T-hints of bitter birch, more clove business, Indian food or Thai is calling!
M- sharp and sprightly
O- my Interest is peaked... Fun and interesting...high brow and balanced.. An achievement!!

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

a: pours a gold hazy color that starts with a very thick head that settles to still-sizable head, also can see some carbonation
s: smell of belgian yeast, some citrus and a little alcohol
t: distinct flavor from other belgian styles, with the citrus-like taste prominent as well as the tasty belgian yeast and malts
m: light to medium body, nice, subtle carbonation on front-end, very smooth
d: i've enjoyed this one on many occasions, and will continue to do so as it's a solid beer that always satisfies

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Light amber colored with a thick and frothy white head. Good head retention however lacing is scare.

Initial yeasty twang gives way to fruity esters (apples come to mind),and some herbal scents (cloves). Pleasant aroma that prepares the palate for the forthcoming taste.

Fruit sweetness on the taste with ample spice, some bread, and possibly orange peel. Nice bitter caress at the end of the swallow that blends with an assertive amount of alcohol heat. Bitterness fades quickly leaving a crisp and dry aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is definitely the star as it is the perfect mix of creamy, mouth enveloping goodness that is also light on the palate and highly carbonated.

High carbonation and noticeable alcohol assertiveness coupled with a flavor that doesn't quite hold the palate's attention leads to reduced drinkability. Personally I feel this beer would have been highly drinkable if it had a lower ABV. As it stands, this beer is a one and done either in the beginning or end of a beer series.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

pours very pale gold, with a haze, and a nice, dense white head that lingers to the end. Aroma is all fruit, with very faint hints of white pepper. Big time tutty-fruity bubble gum! Flavor is very sweet. Sweeter than the last time I had it. I find it is missing some of the dryness and white pepper notes I enjoy in this style, and think I used to enjoy in this brand. The finish is a little cloying, and the body is a little to full for a tripel. A Belgian brewer will say it is to filling, and I would agree. Not sure why the change, this has been a great beer, and it still is good, just not as good as before.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

A: Dark, golden-orange color... huge white head that quickly fades... lots of lace

S: Mostly fruits (banana, oranges, apples), and spice (coriander and clove)... slightly biscuity in the middle.. some belgian yeast too.

T: Follows the nose in many ways... but lacks the smoothness and delicate transitions the nose (and the much more refined belgians) have.

M: Medium bodied. Crisp. Refreshing.

D: I think something is to be said about the long tradition of brewing the belgians have perfected... unibroue has a good beer on their hands... it just needs a few tweaks...

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured cloudy yellow-orange with a huge off-white head that stuck around. Yeasty, estery Belgian aroma, subtle with a multitude of notes, banana and honey among them. Taste was a little sweet for my own liking, but probably not a flaw, and it was nicely balanced with a sour middle bite, and a dry finish. Another complex, challenging brew from the folks at Unibroue.

A - Pours a murky orange with 1/4 inch of foam

S - yeastiness and citrusy orange and lemon

T - sweet malts, lemony citrusy hops, cloves and some spices

M/D - very carbonated, but very tasty. The carbonation keeps me from having alot, but not from lack of want. Good tasting for sure

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured a cloudy golden yellow with pearl like irridescence when held to the light. Big white head bubbled up quickly, dissipating not long after the pour.

The smell is fruity and sweet. Yeast is very noticeable. You can smell the carbonation and the alcohol (probably because of the CO2).

This is really two different beers. Tasting the beer with the head up reminds me of champagne. The carbonation dominates the palate and it finishes dry. Wait a few minutes when the head is flat and more of the beer flavor appears. The malts and yeast come through. Sweeter and more creamy. For me this is much better after sitting for a while.

The mouthfeel shares the same characteristics as the taste. Carbonation fills the mouth all the way to the back of the throat. Very light and crisp when accompanied with head. Smoother and more weight later in the glass.

The life of this brew as it sits in the glass is ever changing. If you pour it in a small goblet or wine glass you can continue to give this beer new life and watch the change over and over. It really has a lot of character. The high abv is not apparent until it is reborn in your glass 3 or 4 times. Then is starts to warm and flush the skin. Really similar to the spumanti.

I have to say I am not in love with this style. I have only tried a handful, but this is by far the most interesting. I recommend everyone try it once. It would be a nice change of pace to replace the bubbly to celebrate th new year. Cheers.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Nice looking bottle. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a cloudy golden-orange color with a white sparkling head. The smell is almost like a hefe, sweet with banana and clove, Belgian sugar. Taste is also strong on the clove/spice with no real hop taste and only a slight alcohol aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation that burns the tongue. The overall drinkability is reduced by the very strong clove/spice taste. Overall, I think you're better off with Maudite.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

A- A hazy golden yellow with a nice off white head. It slowly dissipates and leaves a nice sticky lacing. Also has very lively carbonation.

S- Can detect the sweet malts, phenols and the alcohol.

T- This is a complex beer. Starts out sweet with a strong citrus taste. Then comes the yeast, and it finishes dry with a hint of alcohol but not as much as you would expect from a 9% beer.

M- Very lively. The carbonation is present and you want to sit and savor it.

D- I nurse the bottle slowly. This isn't a beer you can drink quickly but should sip and savor. Surprisingly the alcohol isn't overwhelming but very subtle

Had this in a bottle in Columbia, PA

Pours a semi-cloudy pale amber with a 3" white head.

The smell is of mild, sour yeast.

The taste is clean yet tart and sweet banana bread. The hop bitter is mild.

The carbonation is medium-high with a LOT of tiny bubbles. Mouthfeel is medium.

A very refreshing and tasty brew with a lot of alcohol.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured into large red wine goblets.

Pale orange, very pretty, with a small off white head that shrinks to wisps. Strong belgian yeasty aroma. Strong esters of fruit. Way too fizzy. There is a short, harsh bitterness followed by moderate candi sugar. Apple mostly. Thick. Alcohol noticeable. Not very smooth. Full bodied.

Overall: I'm not a belgian connoisseur first and foremost. I had a hard time finishing this.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

A: cloud-like, frothy white head sits on a hazy golden body. riping carbonation almost tfighting

S: flower-like bouquet. reminds me a little of a biere de garde with the fruit/bread qualities im getting. sweet bread from the malt reminds me that it is a tripel. yeasty esters. a real little bit of chalky hops at the finish.

T: sweet fruits, not too overpowering. soft pear. a little bit of sour/tartness. pear definitely lingers on the palate on the finish. interesting flavor. hard to believe this thing is 9%abv!

M: the body is actually a little lighter than i expected. a little too light compared to most other tripels.

D: a good tripel, but i wouldn't say great. just a little too light in the body. first tripel where i got more in the nose than in the sip.
side note: this was served from a 12oz. bottle with a foil wrapped crown. i used an opener to pop it and was surprised/shocked to see that it was a screw top. hmmmm.

3.84/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L (3.75) - This beer is a nice cloudy yellow color. HUGE head on top. Too much, really.

S (4) - The smell is sometimes cloves, sometimes metallic, sometimes just that light malt smell.

T (3.75) - My first sip was disappointing. Just not there. As I drank more, I get the grain taste, along with a bit metallic tastes. A little alcohol taste at the end.

F (4) - mouthfeel is okay. Nice carb, but a little dry.

O (3.75) - This beer was alright. Not especially flavorful, or anything of note. I feel if it was produced by a less prestigious brewery, people would rank it lower. I also am not going to get overly excited for "High ABV." High ABV is fine, but it doesn't make a mediocre beer good.

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Great beer for entertaining. To hell with wine!! Popping the cork and serving this beer with a nice meal of pork or chicken will be an experience for any guest.

The flavor is very rich and intense, maybe a bit confusing. Your taken aback but in a good way the first time you try this. As someone who eats green olives on cans of smoked fish and very much loves intense flavors, this is a gem of a beer.

After being thoroughly impressed with this beer and drinking many of them, I can say that I do not prefer this as a session beer. The strength gets too obvious after a beer or two and it is better left as a novelty for me, like I mentioned, being served with meals for special occasions

I hear the same things about this beer from anyone who has tried this beer, they cant believe its %9. It is rare to have people who do not usually like the taste of beer in general appreciating a %9 beer! I think it is the licorice that transforms the strong alcohol note into a spicy one, I perceive the same thing with sambuca or ouzo.

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

Kinda skeptical as this is a tripel from Canada. Belgian style beers are in my top tier of beer styles so i am quite picky. Smell was okay. The look of the beer was a tad light for my rxperience w/ tripels. Taste was okay, not authentic solid belgian. Overall its quite decent for Canada. U may want to pass on this beer and pickup a belgian tripel.
A-

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

La Fin Du Monde is a beer that I thought would just blow me away. I enjoy the Belgian strong pale ale style, for starters, and I really did anticipate being blown away by this one. And for my particular palate it's good, but not great.

The Fin poured well enough, leaving a tighly constructed head that didn't linger too long. The coloring was an orange-yellow hue, lots of floating sediment. Well carbonated, true to the style. Nose was ok, but not overly impressive. Hints of fruit and malts mixed with a definite alcohol twang.

The taste was kind of muddled for me. Not overly sweet, it still managed to be a bit cloying. Hints of fruits, figs perhaps. Slight apricot overtones. Good balance between the malts and hops. Very slight bitterness. The sample got slightly better as the beer warmed. Not overly complex.

The mouthfeel was kind of muddy and slack. I expected a more carbonated presence in the mouth, but I came away with a slightly earthy feel. Not appreciably smooth. Drinkability was good considering all of the factors. High ABV, slightly noticible in the mildly metallic aftertaste.

Not something I'll go out of my way to get again. There are better Belgian strong pale ales in my opinion (Delirium Tremens comes immediately to mind). Still not too bad, though. Glad I gave it a shot.

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

33CL BOTTLE POURED INTO DUVEL GLASS.

a - hazy orange blonde glow, creamy thick 4 finger head sitting atop, brussels lace great.

S - cinnamon and spices really hit me here amongst a sublte alcohol kick, no real apparent hops or malt there, maybe a slight tart grapefruit?

T- reminescent of a high abv hefe weizen. Lots of banana and cloves, spices tingle the tongue again. A sweet alcohol kick as the aftertaste linger, very well balanced between flavours and alcohol

M- high carbonation, but very creamy

D- a fine brew but dare i say i prefer delirium tremens. This is just a touch too tart for my tongue compared to others. The beer looks great and i wouldnt knock it back, but i would take a tremens before it.

From a 750mL to a wine glass

This beer poured a golden yellow with a lot of suspended sediment. This could have been the result of the hour or two I gave it to cool and settle out before tasting after I purchased it, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. 1/2" of foamy head which lingered to the end of the glass. Bubbles constantly like a glass of champagne.

Smells very wheaty. This is kind of suprising from a tripel. Can't detect alcohol in the aroma, well hidden for a 9.0%

Experienced a sharp bite of carbonation at first, which fades to a very wheaty body. Reminded me of Hoegaarden for some reason. I find this confusing for the style, though it was not altogether unpleasant. This mellowed to an almost candy-sweet aftertaste, which lingered to the next sip. Didn't get much hoppiness, maybe just a bit of bitter. A lot of wheat though.. Alcohol was again very well hidden for a beer of this strength.

Mouthfeel was soda-like and fizzy. Not too full, reminded me of a mouth full of sprite.

Overall, I'm not sure if I got a strange batch or what, but this beer was not what I was expecting. I'm a big fan of tripels, and La Fin kind of threw me for a loop. It wasn't bad really, just took me by suprise I suppose. I'll definitely be trying this again to see if I had a fluke experience or what.

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

a: two fingers of bubbly long-lasting fluffy white head sits on a cloudy rust colored body; gorgeous

s: sweet sugar is the first to hit the nose followed by scents of pears and apples followed by spices and just a hint of alcohol

t: a lot dryer than i would have thought; raw wheat and grains is predominant followed by some cidery/vinegary fruit flavors; winter spices and alcohol round out the taste.

m: pretty creamy and a little syrupy with light carb

d: for me this is not the most flavorful tripel but still a very good offering with some interesting and complex flavors

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue