La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,819 | Hads: 9,230
3.69/5  rDev -14.4%

The aroma is very yeasty. It is spicy....cloves. It also has some orange peel-like aromas.

Looks ok. It's a hazy, light orange in colour. Two fingers of head. Poor head retention. Leaves a very small amount of lace.

Tastes spicy. Alcohol is definitely detected on the palate. Fruity, oranges. Some flavour of cloves.

Fairly gassy. A bit crisp & prickly on the tongue at first, but then it gets creamy & smooth. The alcohol gives it a warming feeling.

Overall, I like it very much. However, due to it's high ABV (9%) I would not suggest to drink too many of these in one sitting if you would like to keep your composure. (631 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

12oz. brown bottle, silver foil cap, purchased at Party Source, poured into a snifter. Undistinguishable dating on the side.

A: Pours a bright, glowing golden orange with plenty of hazing. 1/2 inch of pearly white head forms and has average retention. Not much lacing.

S: Very spicy and yeasty. Plenty of crisp green fruits.. green apples, green grapes, some lime zest along with some banana and clove.

T/M: Very spicy and yeasty, again. I think the yeast is a bit too powerful for my liking. The yeast adds all kinds of fruit and a hop presence backs it up with a strong citrus side and a touch of bitterness. Malts are extremely sweet. Alcohol adds to the spice with a bit of a nip but not nearly as much as you'd expect from a 9% brew. Body is light and crisp and carbonation is abundant.

D: My tastes have definitely matured. 6 months ago I can say without a doubt that I would have hated this. It's still not my favorite but I can definitely appreciate it. (965 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

Unibroue La Fin Du Monde: triple golden ale, spiced, 9% ABV, amazing thick smokey haze in neck of bottle; Appearance: hef colored; Smell: apricot/peach; nice carbonation; Taste/Mouthfeel: spice, citrus; pretty good, very easy drinking for 9%.

Poured into a pint glass. (319 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours a lightly hazed golden. Small champagne like bubbles race to the top, battling the sediment for the quickest path to join their fellows in the thick white head. Aroma is medium fruity (banana and apple), and lightly yeaty. Flavor is apple and banana, ending clean and dry with some yeast undertones. (305 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

This is one brew I've had a few times before with mixed experiences and results, this time, it is up for review.

I carefully poured this brew into a short tulip glass as suggested on the label. Results were stellar, revealing an appealing, nearly translucent pale-straw yellow brew with a strong, long-lasting pure white head measuring roughly three fingers. A storm of course bubbles race up to replenish the long lasting thick, rich foam. Little if any lacing is retained as the head recedes.This beer reminds me of Duvel and Val-Dieu triple. This is a very stunning, impressive and traditional look for a belgian style strong pale ale.

The tight bouquet boasts inviting aromas of spicy cinnamon, lemons, citrus peel, sweet and yeasty bread with a touch of pale malts and piney hops.

Sharp, spicy cinnamon, spiced bread, pale malts and a touch of honey hit that palate on the attack, evolving into a somewhat depressing and hallow midpalate featuring a bit of lemon zest. These sublime flavors curtail toward the finish revealing a load of spicy, warming alcohol, bitter yeast and lingering sour lemon. Balance is modest with the spicey and sour notes prevailing, lowering this brew's taste score; the citrus hops and pale malts must make a bigger impact on the flavor.

Viscosity and carbonation are quite noteworthy, this beer is a bit thick for a strong pale ale, but it is one to savor.

Cheers! (1,414 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

Note: I had accidentally dropped this bottle on the ground.

Appearance: Pours a hazy yellow that reminds me of a lemonade mixed with honey kind of yellow. The beer gives a one finger head when poured and dissipates modestly, which leaves some lacing behind.

Smell:I get a whiff of banana and a bit of alcohol. Overall, the smell reminds of candied fruit especially banana and maybe apricot.

Taste: Sweet malts and I can taste the yeasts used to make it. The candied banana and apricot flavor make their presence known, which makes it sweet and slightly sugary. However, the finish tastes a little bit watered down but I don't know if that's only because of what to happened to the beer I was drinking or what.

Mouthfeel: A nice crispy feel with medium carbonation on the tongue.

Overall: I'm fairly happy with the La Fin Du Monde and is a pretty decent (cheap) alternative to the Tripel Karmeliet. While I still prefer the Tripel, I would not mind buying another four pack of the La Fin. (992 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

A - the appearance of this beer is similar to a very light champagne. Not the most impressive appearance to the beer. Poured into a snifter glass with one half finger of head. Color is golden yellow.

S - yeast notes and faint sweetness dominate the smell of this beer. Other than that there is not much of a smell to speak of.

T - Very good. Not the best beer I have had by far, but still some pleasant notes detectable in this beer. Can definitely taste some yeast funk in here with some sweet notes. Some dried fruits are present as well, but not to a great degree. Near the end of the sip there is some definite hop bitterness that becomes present.

M - very smooth mouthfeel to this beer. Some slight carbonation notes can be detected as well.

O - Overall there is not much to set this beer apart from other beers out there. The one thing that it does have going for it is that it is very drinkable and smooth on the palate. There is some hop bite near the end of the sip that makes a little less enjoyable for me, but overall it is an above average beer. (1,063 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

I'll start out by saying that I'm not a real belgian drinker, so this review comes from someone that isn't really all about the style. That being said...

It's the color of the sun... That's the best way to describe it. It's yellow, and cloudy. It has a very floral smell. Smells sweet.

Sipping it, you feel how thick it is, mostly because it's got a bunch of alchol in it. But fizzy. Tiny fiz. That's another "Best way to describe it". Tiny little carbonation bubbles.

The taste is of rose, and sweet floral esters. There's a mild bitterness in the back that hits your nose 2-3 seconds after the swallow.

It's pleasent to drink, and the 9% alcohol is well balanced. Gives you anice warm sensation.

Even though Belgiuns aren't my favorite, this beer was pretty good. (784 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

Purchased from Strong Bros. Liquor, Fayetteville, TN.

Pours a dark orange color with a thick white head. Head dissipates to a coating of soapscum after a few minutes.

Funky aroma of yeast, pineapple, oranges, and.... breadsticks? Fascinating and enjoyable aromatic values. Nice.

Nice Belgian funkiness in the flavor, strong citrus notes, with a fruity aftertaste. As it warms, it gives a slight astringency that I find unpleasant, but overall pretty good.

Mouthfeel moderate for a Belgian, but still leaving a nice coating on the palate. I would prefer this to be a bit thicker, but it's decent as-is.

This gets a bit cloying after a bit, but overall this is a pretty drinkable beer. Enjoyable, but not for everyday. (732 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

Presented in a 750 shared with a few Canadians in my sisters garage. This was my first go at a Tripel and quite frankly this style is not for me, great beer, just not for me.

A - Poured a hazy yellow into a gold rimmed chalice with a thick white foamy head. Lacing throughout, a very attractive beer.

S - Fruity and spicy, peaches pepper and clove are initially present with a cinnamon and apple back.

T - Sweet and yeasty, not an expert on this style but it took some time to get used to. I thought the alcohol would be too overpowering but it wasn't which was nice.

M - Very smooth with a dry finish. Tons of carbonation and very light on the tongue.

D - I guess you could drink more than one, the fellas I was with did, but for me one was perfect. Recommended. (768 characters)

12 oz bottle.
From notes;

Pours a hazy light golden with a thin bubbly head. Nose is phenol, spices, banana esters, sweet light fruits. Taste is balanced, Belgian yeast like flavour mingles with the banana, cloves and candied fruits. Sweet on the palatte. Medium bodied, carbonated. Strange sense of metallic notes and strong yeast flavours kind of underwhealmed me here. ABV was well hidden but felt after one serving. Not one of my favourite Canadian breweries despite its popularity down south. (498 characters)

750 ml bottle served in a goblet, reviewed live:

A - Pours a murky straw/honey golden color with a thin, 1 finger head. Retention is pretty poor, but excusable for the high abv.

S - Strong pale and crystal malt foundation gives way to honey, banana, clove, and citrus esters. Very pleasant and inviting.

T - Lemon, clove, unidentified spice, honey and pale malt meddle nicely. It's complex and subtle. The alcohol comes through on the finish, but it fit's and isn't overbearing. Very well built. Reminds of wheat with Belgian yeast.

M - Light and carbonated well. This ain't your ordinary tripel.

D - I'm impressed by this one. It's subtly complex, and easy drinking to boot. For the price and quality it'd be hard to better. (734 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours a very hazy orange with a one finger head that settles very quickly to a thin spotty cap leaving behind almost no lace.

Smell; lots of coriander and citric lemon, with a bunch of spices and yeast. There's a bit of a bready dough quality, in there as well.

Taste; very fruity with oranges and lemons, and there's some other fruits that I can't quite place. The spices and sweetness are almost to overwhelming for me. Some alcohol makes it's presence felt in the aftertaste pretty strongly. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, and with the sweetness and abundance of spices this is a bit hard for me to drink. (607 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -14.8%

pours a hazy orange yellow color with spare head, spare lacing, and average carbonation. harsh malt and yeast flavor with citrus, lemony hints. light body anfd thin texture. average flavor duration. very soft bitter tart finish. alcohol well hidden. thought this one would've been a lot better, must say i was pretty dissapointed with this one. not a bad brew just a dissapointment. probably wouldn't drink again. (413 characters)

WOW! ALCOHOL!

Being a tried-and-true liberal Canada lover, I was attracted to Unibrue off the bat. I think Blanch de Chambly is incredible and their brew Maudite is one of the best I have ever tried. Maudite is also probably my favorite beer.

Opening it up, the smell is pretty "beer-like" (terrible phrasing, no?) with a little alcohol smell with yeast and some fruit notes that I couldn't figure out. Decent hop notes on the nose. I liked smelling it, it made me feel I had something special comming up.

Similar to other bottle-conditioned brews it has unflappable head retention and bubbles that don't stop.

Taste is overwhelmed by the alcohol. I did notice a nice, dry malt with modest bittering. Again, more fruit that I couldn't figure out. The flavor was quite nice... but that alcohol! It took over the flavor! If it was 7% or so it would be perfect. It also had me wishing it was a bit more bitter. Just a tiny, tiny bit more hops.

It took me a while to finish it, many swallows were forced. I liked the flavor but the alcohol just made it harder to swallow than most brews.

Maybe I need to try it more often. Maybe I had a bad bottle. I usually agree with The Brothers but this time I just didn't think of it as world-class as they do. (1,251 characters)

Poured from a 750ml bottle:

A- Dark golden-amber hue with a little head

S- Some aromas of sweet apricots and some spices behind that (maybe clove)

T- Malty up front, finishing with some of the spice notes and a slight alcohol burn.

M- Medium bodied and effervescent.

D- Great drinkability and very refreshing for warmer weather. Still had enough body to take it seriously though. (384 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -15.1%

Cloudy, golden orange color with a small, fluffy white head, which quickly dissapated. Noticeable sediment, as noted on label.

Very faint aroma. A bit of fruitiness with hint of alcohol. Slightly sour smell.

Sweet, malty flavor masks the alcohol. Hint of fruit.

It feels a bit overly carbonated, so much so that it takes away from the flavor.

I would have rated the drinkability higher on this one if it weren't for the carbonation. The flavor is excellent once the bubbles die down a bit. (501 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -15.1%

12-ounce bottle, served in a tulip glass (11/07/2012)
Appearance: rich, deep golden color, a white head that thins out but sticks around for a while
Aroma: a lot of aroma comes off of this guy, it smells complex and strong; fruit and a hint of spice notes come through mostly, smells very sweet
Taste: it starts sweet as it moves through some of the fruits and the grains; it has a bit of a hop and spice at the end there too; the aftertaste is pretty dry, maybe from the high ABV
Mouthfeel: it's pretty syrupy and coats the mouth more than Don or Trios did; it is thick; carbonated well;
Overall Impression: honestly, I was hoping for something more, and admittedly my expectation may have colored my impression of the beer; I love Belgian Ales and this was supposed to be a great one...it's just good; it's certainly not as sweet as it smells and not as sweet as some other Belgians that I have had, especially since it ends on a dry, bitter note that I am not wild about; it is complex, it has a richness of flavor; the best part of the taste is the middle, where some of the characteristics of a classic Belgian come out-but I think that the best part of the beer is how it looks...it looks perfect and pretty (1,219 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

Very hazy golden color with a soapy big-bubble head. Lots of carbonation. Spicy and peppery taste with a slight citrusy orange peel. Sweet malt gives way to a tart lip-smacking dryness and a very warm finish, no doubt from the high alcohol content.

A decent brew - but probably my least favorite offering to date from Unibroue. (330 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours a pale yellow with a BIG head and alot of carbonation. Smell is sweet and spicy. Taste includes a mixture of spices and some fruit. This beer had way too much carbonation for me to thoroughly enjoy. Made me burp after every sip. Still, a good tripel. (296 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

A - pours a pale golden straw color with a head disappears, but leaves a decent head around the glass

S - orange and lemon peel dominates the nose

T - a fruity (more of a citrus fruit taste, like the smell, go figure), malty taste with some spiciness that hides the alcohol

M - Light/moderate bodied with slight carbonation

D - Drinkable beer, not a favorite, but good none the less (386 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

A: Pours deep golden with nearly an inch of dense white head.

S: Yeasty fruit. Pear, clove, slightly sharp in the aroma

T/M: Incredibly fruity flavor. Pear, apple, papaya. Moderately sweet and full-bodied. Not all that carbonated in the mouth. Slight solvent taste and sensation in the back of the throat. (307 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

A- Pours a deep golden color with a huge eggshell white head. Lots of carbonation bubbles are present.

S- Smells of Belgian yeast, spicy, funk, and a sweetness.

T- Taste is very spicy and semi sweet. Mixed lighter fruits and a bit of alcohol are present. A bit cloying.

M- Medium viscosity with a good amount of carbonation. Sticks to the inside of the mouth.

D- I know lots of other people like this beer but I just don't dig it. For me the funk and sweetness combined with the stickiness makes it less than drinkable. (523 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Pours a nice cloudy orange color. White head that leaves a great coating of lacing on the sides of the glass. Lots of small dark floaties.

Smells of candy, candy, candy....hmmm...candy sugar. Sour yeast, and citrus...probably from hops.

Tastes sweet from the excessive malts. Alcoholic spiciness dominates the pallette.
Funky yeast flavors followed by firey spicy alochol. An asperin like aftertaste lingers on and on.

Very sweet sticky mouthfeel. Lots of carbonation.

Overall a great beer. Perhaps, too much bitter aftertaste for me.

Hard for me to rate this one good on the drinkibiliby...maybe I just am not in the mood for this beer right now? (656 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -15.5%

I used to get this one about 6 years ago somewhat regularly. I liked it then. I was curious to see if I would still like it ... and I do.

Appearance - Cloudy, light golden color with head to spare. One bottle produced a good 3 inches of sticky, long standing foam. The next bottle had to be poured in stages it had foamed so much. I rtied to leave the sediment in the bottle too.

Smell - Kinda funky. Not as bad as Trois Pistoles, but similar. Doesn't smell like beer.

Taste - It almost seems like it's gonna be fruity but then it isn't (whew). Lotsa yeast I suppose. Good pale ale flavor.

Mouthfeel - That carbonation really stays active the whole time. Very noticeable in the mouth - like champaign.

Drinkability - I want more. (744 characters)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue