Microbrew Invitational

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada | website

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,917 | Ratings: 9,803
3.76/5  rDev -12.8%

The beer pours a very cloudy yellow with a frothy white head that disappears pretty quickly. First impression of smell was of wet socks, but then the malts and spices came through. Tastes include bananas, cloves, grass, and various herbs. A frothy and very carbonated mouthfeel gives this beer a pretty enjoyable drinkability.

3.76/5  rDev -12.8%

Finally got around to this after many recommendations, but sadly it wasn't much to my liking. It's gold in color, strong head, smells nice, but far too hoppy & carbonated for my tastes. Still, easy going and smooth, considering. It does have a nice sour taste, if savored. But not really my style, in the end.

3.75/5  rDev -13%

From the bottle to a large wine glass
Look: cloudy orange, ample white head with a bit of retention, bubbles grasped the side of the glass for a moment

Smell: heavy orange and floral notes

Taste: Heavy flowery flavors fill the palate, bitter hops override any sweetness lingering

Feel: Rather light with heavy carbonation

Drink: Not my favorite tripel, but fairly drinkable considering the high ABV. The carbonation isn't particularly overwhelming either, a nice offering from Unibroue.

3.75/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L- Golden Orangeish color, some head that fades to nothing
S- banana maybe, orange
T/F- fruity taste that leads to malts, light body
O- Not to flavorful but they are present throughout, was an alright beer, may consider again but not in the near future

bottle poured into snifter

a: straw yellow color with foamy 1 1/2" head that reduces nicely into lacing

s: buiscuit smell, hint of apples

t: malt and yeast flavors dominate, cinimmon and clove

m&d: dry, sticky, the carbonation makes it a bit easier to drink. 9% ABV.... not a session beer.

Cheers!!

12 oz bottle, best before 1-8-10

Pours an apricot yellow with lots of head that retains well, laces okay.

smells of peppery hops mostly, and some fruity esters.

Taste is sweet malt, bready yeast, peppery hops, all pretty well balanced.

There is alot of carbonation in this one which leaves the palate fairly dry.

Drinkability is good for a 9% abv, although after one i had heartburn so that was my limit.

3.75/5  rDev -13%

Poured a very hazy light golden color. Dense white head that settled to about a 1/4" for the rest of the glass.

Aroma is spicy, with hints of citrus.

Flavor is good, some more spice and a bit of lemon on the finish. However, there is a slight metallic flavor that detracts a bit.

Mouthfeel is full with a prickly carbonation.

Overall, its a good beer, I'll have to come back to this one again.

3.75/5  rDev -13%

A complex beer. The aroma was lightly floral and yeasty. I detected aged coriander spice in the nose. This brew has a murky golden hue with a large, rocky white head which dissipates. Deliscious and malty, but well balanced. Not sweet. A touch sour with hints of citrus and alcohol. The 9% ABV is fairly well hidden. Medium body with a creamy mouthfeel. Lively carbonation. An acidic tad in the finish, but mostly just a long and dry finish to an excellent belgian style ale. Belgian Trippel fans must try this one.

12 oz. bottle poured into chalice
(best before 9/16/16 printed on label)

L: yellow gold, no amber in it; fluffy white/off-white head; shows a ton of bubbles in brew, maintains almost complete skin of white foam

S: like a witbier ... it has the fruity sweetness of the tripel but with a bit of spice in it

T: follows the nose ... slightly tart with a bit of banana at times, but mostly sweet fruity with spice

F: perfect

O: surprised it wasn't sweeter ... also surprised it tastes a lot like a couple of witbiers I've tried. not my favorite triple but a good brew.

3.75/5  rDev -13%

Poured an orangish-straw clear. Well carbonated with a smooth, silky head. Aroma was fruit and almost wit-like. Wouldn't be surprised to learn this was spiced similarly. Possibly some wheat in the nose as well. Quite pleasant. Somewhat tart and highly phenolic flavor. Fruit/orange was prominent. Body was medium and the mouthfeel somewhat prickly. Drinkability was above average, especially for a big beer like this.

Pretty decent beer. Not the greatest thing ever in my opinion, but pretty darn good.

3.75/5  rDev -13%

Shared a bottle with my father, who actually forgot how he obtained this beer. Poured into a leffe glass. The beer pours a hazy straw-yellow color (as most tripels) with a nice long lasting head.

Smell: Light nose of tropical fruits (apricot, peach, passion fruit), wheat, spicy hops, malts and some alcohol.

Taste: Spicy hops, and again, very fruity (apple, passion fruit, mango), yeast, sweet malts. Aftertaste is slightly bitter (hops) and dry.

Mouthfeel: medium-bodied but carbonation is too high.

Overall: For someone like me, who doesn't normally appreciate this style, I was very surprised. Still I think it is overrated here on BA, and that the rates given at ratebeer.com reflect the quality of this beer much better. But again, decent brew, nice and drinkable, recommendable

3.74/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Take this review with a grain of salt. I've enjoyed many Belgium style beers, but after this one it's pretty clear that I do not like the Tripel style.

I don't really know what I was expecting, but La Fin Du Monde is dominated by the flavor of the yeast (eludes to this on the bottle). It is literally all I could taste with the exception of some citrus notes. It was like drinking a biscuit, and it sat really heavy in my stomach after. The bottle said it was brewed with spices, but those took such a backseat to the yeast that I could not pick up what spices they were.

All that being said I tried to review this beer with the style in mind, even if I don't dig it.

3.74/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Re-reviewed this beer because of the probability that I had an off day in my last review.
Poured a hazy burnt yellow with 2 finger white fizzy head that dissipated quickly to a thin film. Moderate lacing. Nose had a hint of white pepper, banana and orange zest. Very sweet taste without much pronounced malt. No noticeable hop flavor. Fizzy carbonation that I believe is just too much. The beer was somewhat heavy as I noticed in the last review. Like the last time I reviewed this beer, I know this is supposed to be a great beer, but I am having trouble with detecting complexity and likeability. I would prefer a good hefe to this beer. Perhaps I can now conclude that I am just not into tripels.

3.74/5  rDev -13.2%

750 ML corked bottle. Pours a dark hazy straw color. Sweet and sticky beer. Tastes like vanilla cake,citrus,apple, and bread. Very bubbly. Light bitterness on the finish. Good Triple but not the greatest. I'd take the Maudite or Trois Pistoles over this one.

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

Hazy pale yellow with a huge off-white head with quickly bursting tiny bubbles. The head drops quickly, but settles about a quarter inch above the liquid. Smell is mostly sweet lemon, some yeast, and a bit of pine. Flavor is rich and sweet. Flavor is a bit of yeast, then warm honey melts in the mouth, and finishes with some undertones of butterscotch and pine. Mouthfeel is very smooth and velvety. Aftertaste lingers long and delivers more honey. This beer holds its complexity to the last drop, and is surprisingly smooth for the alcohol that it delivers. Very tasty, but low drinkability because it is so rich.

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

This is clearly a quality beer, I'm just not sure its quite my type. Poured from a bottle, it boasts a powerful head. The color is golden and cloudy. The smell is dominated by the unique yeasts, as is the taste, which also boasts a bit of a hoppy flavor, at least to my palate. The dominating trait is the carbonation; I find it a bit overbearing. I'm not a huge fan of the taste, which is just a personal choice. I will say the the beer seems very much of good quality. I personally prefer something different.

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours cloudy, a gold that is slightly orange in the heart of the glass. The nice white fluffy head has very nice retention and good lacing. Strong Belgian yeast aroma. Sweet, clove, white pepper, apple and perhaps a little banana. The flavor has a surprising tart sour apple zing to it that makes this beer quite refreshing. Plenty of clove, pear and apple meld with sweet pale malt. Alcohol is perceivable, but does not take away from the beer's flavor. Flavors added by the yeast seem to be the star of the show. Medium body with ample carbonation that lends to a luxuriously effervescent mouthfeel. Finish is tart and dry. This beer is refreshing, but I would not necessarily say it is remarkably drinkable. A very well made beer, but not one of my favorites from this brewery.

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

Hazy light orange/gold with a mountainous and finely textured head. Head subsides rather quickly, leaving good lacing.

Deep, complex nose of spices, herbs, yeast, and citrus.

Lively carbonation dances on the tongue, giving lift to flavors of peach jam and overripe banana. Subtle acid twang on the back end also helps keep the brew from being too heavy. Actuallly, the body seems quite light for the ABV. Finish is long, complex, and mouthwatering.

A brew that's both engrossingly complex and light on its feet, with very little of the rotten/oxidative notes that ruined the Trois Pistoles for me.

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

This pours a very cloudy pale gold with a white head, decent lacing.

There is no distinct flavor, mostly hops.

Its taste very plain, its good, reminds me of Duvel. To me its a very high alcohol session beer. So I'd drink tihs when I get to drunk.

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

Just finished my first 4 pack of this beer after reading most of the outstanding ratings here. Poured from a bottle dated best before 06/20/10. While I found the beer drinkable and tasty, it did not live up to the hype. My cost was $8.69 for a 4 pack. I didn't find it that much better than the Blue Moon I followed this beer with, and the Blue Moon was cheaper. Sure if you count the alchohol level is almost twice the level of a standard beer you are getting more for the money, but I'm not drinking them to get tanked... Overall, decent, probably wouldn't buy again but would say try it once for sure....

Also, whats up with the screw on caps on the bottles of this beer... thought that was BMC quallity...

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%

I picked this up at my favorite store in Cincinnati (Jungle Jims) along with it's next of kin Don De Dieu (reviewd later) and was pretty impressed. Like a novice I poured this wrong and the sediment came out into the glass, not a HUGE deal but it marred the taste a little. The look was a golden cloudy color with a tiny lace head that took a little time to dissappear. The citrus was strong in the odor and I could swear I tased some grapes. This was sweet, almost like a champagne with a lot of carbonation. Not a bad brew, smooth, almost too smooth. The 9% alchohol factor could definetly not be noticed. All around a nice beer.

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%

Will the head on this brew ever die?!? The thick, white foam that formed on this pouring of La Fin du Monde remained practically intact until the last sip was consumed! One has to peek underneath to examine the cloudy orange hue of this Canadian beer. The aroma is slightly underwhelming, but notes of spices and citrus are noticeable. Aspects of wheat are also (interestingly) present. The taste is light but complex: there are flavors of bright citrus and lighter malts-darker malt characteristics are present during the lingering aftertaste. What kills me the is smoothness of the mouthfeel; all the carbonation must be in the head! It nearly drinks like water, which is dangerous from a calorie/alcohol perspective.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a goblet. Best before date: 01-24-12

Appearance: Gah why do these Unibroues not give any head?? A light golden colour almost devoid of any brownness. Not a very typical beer and makes me think this is going to be like a Don De Deau in how wine-like it will be. Not much carbonation coming up either.

Smell: Very wheaty and yeasty (with that unmistakable Unibroue yeast) but with a sourness like apples, bananas, and a hint of grape. Has a hint of clove but not much. Reminds me of cider or some sort of overtly sweetened juicy juice box

Taste: Very very tart. Like drinking sour apple juice. Somewhat of a honey flavour gives it a sweet finish which is rather pleasant. Definitely more of a grape flavour, and honestly made me feel like I was drinking champagne when i wasnt thinking about it. Taste is closest to golden raisins. Upon the second pour (with the most yeast in it) I could detect a lot more pronounced of a yeast flavour and the requisite nuttiness. At least its more complex than its brother the Don De Deau.

Mouthfeel: It's like drinking pop rocks the way it sizzles in your mouth. You can only slightly detect the alcohol. It seems like most of the hidden carbonation nucleates on your taste buds. Very much like champagne in its mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Not a very consistantly drinkable beer on its own. Not just because of the alcohol. I wouldnt have more than one or two of these even if the abv was lower than 9%. Its very easy to drink at first, but I started to get a little sick of it as I neared the end.

I'm not sure why i differ so much from everyone else, but i suppose it just happens. Ive been around the unibroue block a little bit, and i they're just not as good IMHO as other BA's say they are.

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%

A- Light golden-yellow with a nice white head.

S- Fruit, yeast, spices, very belgian.

T- Pretty much like the nose. Spices, fruits, malts, again very Belgian (or Belgian-like I should say). Sweet and tasty. Edit: On second try, I have to say that this beer tastes a little watered-down compared to other Belgians I've had. I've had to knock the taste for that.

M/D- Perfect amount of carbonation, overall a very good beer.

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of Belgians, and this one particularly didn't sit well. Clear, overcarbonated, yeasty, and watery, Not worth the high price unless you really love Belgians.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue