2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,112 | Reviews: 2,692 | Show All Ratings:
jmerloni

A - A glorious, ethereal aesthetic: Pale orange, gold with a lot of haze. Bubbles majestically float up from the bottom. Head is the whitest head I've ever encountered; laces well and retains a fantastic thick, flat, pure white foam on the top. Excellent!

S - Yeast; candied light fruits from grapes and apricots to peaches and pear. Zesty: spices - coriander. Cotton candy notes.

T - Matches the nose almost to the point. Phew this is good! The malt here is honey. Some ginger here as well. Flavor is amazingly well-balanced and in check.

M - Perfect. Medium-bodied. So well-balanced through the sip; the body is the same as it enters your mouth through the time you swallow it. Silky in feel.

D - Simply one of the greatest beers I've ever had. I can't believe I've never had this until now. I can see this being the only beer I ever drink when I'm like 40 and older. Eruditely crafted.

07-20-2012 20:44:03 | More by jmerloni
dbell23

Tennessee

Poured into a tulip from a 12oz bottle.

Beautiful hazy golden color with white lacy head. Good retention with beautiful lacing. Nice looking beer.

Smell is all Belgian. Fruity, yeasty, delicious. Chalky sweetness.

Is this the best tasting beer in the world? If not, it'll do until the best comes along. It's everything I love about a Trippel. Sweet, tart, malt, yeast, all at once. Just enough hoppiness for perfect balance. The alcohol is very well hidden but certainly there.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Smooth with just the right amount of carbonation.

Overall this is one of my favorite beers. If you like tripels this is a must try. Unibroue is one of the best breweries in north America.

07-30-2012 21:56:16 | More by dbell23
magicman

Still to this day my absolute favorite beer.In the past week I have had a St Bern. Abt 12 and a Founders Breakfast Stoudt. Two fantastic brews but this is my No.1. I would drink this more often but I have a job.It is absolutely addicting.Easy to get and even easier to drink
It is an extremely dangerous beer at 9% abv .This is the second time I have reviewed it and it just does not have any peers amoungst the tripel style. Best thing about it , crack open a bottle around wine drinkers,some actually think it is champagne and anyone who has had it has either liked it or loved it and changed their mind about beer. The smell the taste and especially the mouthful -unbelievable

01-20-2013 08:11:45 | More by magicman
Bernardkowalski

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

02-16-2013 23:25:02 | More by Bernardkowalski
Sirdrinksalot

This is my first review but what can I say I am in love with this beer. The color is a nice cloudy golden hue. With a nice bubbly 2 finger head. The smell is fruity with spice notes mainly clove or coriander. The taste is amazing. It has a very nice fruity taste with a slight bitterness and hints of clove which for me the clove seemed to lesson after a few sips. It has just the right amount of carbonation and has a bubbly pleasant mouth feel. What else can I say this is a world class beer. I would drink again in a heartbeat. This has become one of my favorite beers.

07-03-2013 07:35:59 | More by Sirdrinksalot
edwado

Another 25OZ.bottle and another perfect score. There is no beer on this great earth that can compare to this in my unhumble opinion. Maybe i am short sighted but it is how I feel about this liquid perfection. I know people will jump on my behind for saying this-the greatest beer in the world. This is the third time I have reviewed it.

08-07-2013 02:21:12 | More by edwado
mschind

4.98/5  rDev +15.3%

750 ML bottle with an expiration date of 4-6-14.

I had to use pliers to get the cork to budge and it left the bottle with a really loud pop but no overflow. It looks slightly hazy in the brown bottle and I can see some sediment.

A- Pours a slightly hazy gold color into a snifter with a one inch head that quickly dissipated to a foamy cap. Many lines of tiny bubbles.

S- What a magnificent nose. Sweetness, probably the alcohol but under that the malt and a hint of hops. Fresh fruit and floral notes. Deep, rich and persistent.

T- The taste is amazing. Mango, pineapple, mildly sweet up front giving way to a cider like tang at the finish. Some yeast notes in the finish.

M- Full bodied, carbonation is noticeable like a good sparkling wine. Carbonation yields to a velvety texture.

O- This is a very complex, well made triple with a huge flavor profile. I really want to give this a 5 but I didn't get the big creamy head that is supposed to be typical for this style. I'm not sure it is reasonable to expect a creamy head since this is bottle conditioned with carbonation that reminds me of fine Champaign. I am going to make this a regular part of my lineup and look forward to pairing it with food.

02-27-2012 18:56:17 | More by mschind
SirPils

4.98/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance: Golden and frothy with a quickly dissipating half inch head. Poured into stemmed tulip glass, nice lacing down the glass as it was drunk. Some bottle sediment leaked into second pour, a bit cloudy but still a beautiful beer.

Smell: An ephemeral experience, with clove, apricot, and banana notes. A spicy, almost pepper note was detected, but I can't really place it.

Taste: No obvious alcohol in the beginning, with a strong apricot and citrus note that gives way to a bit of spice as the beer warms up. Alcohol is restrained throughout the tasting, keeping the citrus and apricot front and center.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, but somehow bold at the same time. Almost creamy. Dangerously drinkable, I may go through three to four pours of this one before even noticing it.

Overall: My first tripel, and a wonderful departure from my days of college PBR. A beer I can easily see taking me from being a wine guy to a beer guy. I love it, looking forward to learning more.

For my inexperienced beer palate, it is the best I've ever tasted, but judging from the other reviews about this beer, I'm certainly not alone in thinking so.

05-24-2012 17:41:15 | More by SirPils
DerKaiser

4.97/5  rDev +15%

I feel like I simply can't heap enough praise on this beer to do it justice, so I won't try. Just go out and try one for yourself.

It's citrusy and slightly sweet with hints of clove and bubblegum. A little bit of yeast in there with a nice crisp finish. The high alcohol content really enhances this beer, taking the flavors up through the nose. Take your time drinking it, as it becomes almost an entirely different beer as it warms.

As a warning, this beer will cause "beer-inflation" among its fans. Those once content to imbibe in a $6 six-packs of Sam Adams, will find themselves shelling out $8.50 for four-packs on Unibroue products on a regular basis. It's that good.

10-18-2002 20:31:33 | More by DerKaiser
Wildman

4.97/5  rDev +15%

This beer poured a golden straw color and formed a bubbly white head that left circular lace. A small amount of carbonation was present. It had an aroma of citrus, spice(?clove) and some yeast elements. The flavor was of spice and citrus with a warming feeling of the alcohol present. The finish was a touch astrigent

12-17-2002 17:07:48 | More by Wildman
Jason

4.97/5  rDev +15%

12 oz brown bottle with a foiled top, a best before date on the back label.

Appearance: Foamy off white head that takes a long while to subside to a sticky lace. Cloudy yet radiant yellowish golden colour shows that this is a pale brew.

Smell: Ripe sugary nectarines, a powdery yeast and a light phenolic clove and medicinal mix in the aroma. Alcoholic esters with a touch of solvent linger in the back of the nose.

Taste: Peppery clove spiciness with a warming alcohol right behind it. Estery with a hint of solvent-like character in the high level of alcohol. Malt lays down some sweetness with a thick drying pale graininess, fruity flavours of mango and pear flash on the taste buds. Bitterness from the hops melds with the thick powdery yeast and bring the mouth to a slightly dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy with a medium to high carbonation.

Drinkability & Notes: One of my favourite Belgian style pale strong ales, a bit over the top for some people and one that I respect by sipping through the night.

01-06-2003 18:12:15 | More by Jason
Mitchster

4.97/5  rDev +15%

Unibroue review preface: I spent 2 weeks up in Montreal and drank Unibroue beers the whole time. No wonder they call it UniBrew. All their beers taste the same. They are all very subtle variations on a theme..that theme happens to be excellence. That said:

As with other Unibroue's, this also has an interesting bottle. Is it just me or do you see a severed hand in the drawing? Focus, young padewan...

This beer is highly carbonated (forming streamers), mildly cloudy straw-golden with a splash of peach in color, forming a rocky white head atop medium sized bubbles. Delicate lacing. Aroma is spicy and phenolic, with lots of cloves and bananas, yeasty bread, and a crisp, light acidity. Intoxicating Unibroue nose. Alcohol is not noticeable in aroma despite it's ABV of 9.0%. Mouthfeel is light and fizzy, exploding upon the tongue like champagne with a medium-dense, but deceptively light body. Taste is initially typical bavarian wheat phenols with lots of spice, fading into subtle notes of green apples that are starting to rot, a smooth backbone of malted wheat sugars, and finishing with a bready yeastiness and a subtle, yet pleasant alcohol warmth in the gullet. The alcohol is well hidden, but because of the lighter body, it becomes more noticeable as it warms...more so than Maudite (8.0% ABV). At room temperature, I begin to notice a slightly rubbery mouthfeel. The complex sugars tug at your taste buds and envelope them in a swirl of abandon. Easily a sipper, easily a chugger....you decide. Complexities abound with further analysis, but this is a beer that warms your heart and soul. An entire experience in a bottle.

An absolute treasure amongst beers, and an excellent triple in it's own right. World-class and highly recommended. This is just an exceptional brew and one of my personal benchmarks for the style. Ambrosia distilled.

02-07-2003 18:47:59 | More by Mitchster
RockyTopHeel

4.97/5  rDev +15%

Tasted 1/16/04 at our little Extravaganza Belgique.

Ok, so our final tasting wasn't truly Belgian, but it's so good and I had one ready to drink, so we figured, why not?

Alluring orange-yellow with a pure white head and a brown drop of yeast shaken from bottle's bottom. Soft, bready aroma, almost like an orange scone. Flavor is full of the yeast, with bright citrus fruit and a beautifully crisp finish. Amazingly smooth in the mouth, with no evidence that this brew hides a potent 9% ABV. Crisp and easy drinking. Orange, lemon, spices, yeast, wheat--wonderful.

This became my new all-time favorite the first time I tasted it, and drinking it again makes me pretty happy all over again.

Spoils of the 10/11/03 Knoxville Raid.

01-18-2004 18:16:00 | More by RockyTopHeel
swamiswamu

Indiana

4.97/5  rDev +15%

Pours like a wit with a healthy white head and a cloudy golden body. The aroma hints at yeast and lemon zest. This is the most refreshing beer out there. Rorshack flavor test; orange, lemon zest, yellow cake, white pepper. I somewhat don't believe this beer is 9%. It just seems to disappear from the glass. This is my favorite widely available beer.

03-20-2005 04:15:39 | More by swamiswamu
NiceGuyMike

4.97/5  rDev +15%

Seven months after trying this for the first time, I'm still loving it. I see no reason to change my rating very much. It is simply supurb, complex, warming and refreshing all at the same time.

Ok, so I'm gonna change my rating. I'm finding everything almost perfect this time with the exception that I'd like to see it clearer and not so cloudy.

11-17-2005 03:37:43 | More by NiceGuyMike
beeronesse

Wisconsin

4.97/5  rDev +15%

I have to agree with the Brothers on this triple. It's world class.

I had it first on tap and then out of a caged & corked bottle. Both experiences were too close to note any, if tiny difference.

Beautifully cloudy, golden-orange in color, with a dense and creamy head that lasts well.

Spicy, banana/bubble gum right off the nose and into the mouth...a slight and not unpleasant medicinal note...definite pepper and licorice as well as some pome fruit and soft citrus. This one drinks well at any temp and I like to take my time and sip, sip, sip.

01-30-2009 00:19:54 | More by beeronesse
cheapxceptbeer

4.97/5  rDev +15%

A- Sizeable two finger foam that turns to nothing quickly, hazy pale color that looks like other similar beers

S- I mean this smells like a woman should, it is beautiful like fresh baked bread, banana, clove, all sorts of spices but especially pepper. You just want to shove this up your nose and smell it all day.

T- This beer is so delicious, talking about flavors almost seems ridiculous. This is an adult beverage in more ways than one. It is one of the few beers that tastes identical to its smell. Definitely an acquired taste (I would make another immature comment, but that would be in poor taste) as I didn't like it when I first went to Canada.

M- Lighter than you would expect, it is not syrupy, however this is no lightweight, gives you a full mouthfeel while you are drinking it, and has a novelty effect if you leave it on your tongue for a few seconds (feels like pop rocks on your tongue)

D- You will feel the 9%, but you won't taste it, or feel it in your stomach. If you want a legal high this is the way to go, drinking a pitcher of this at a hookah bar was stronger than anything else I have ingested in the last year.

From what I have had so far this is my favorite belgium style brew, I have had only a few tripels, however from what I have tasted I can not imagine a more flavorful 9% beer that hides the alcohol flavors so well.

03-31-2009 01:01:49 | More by cheapxceptbeer
AmberMan22

4.97/5  rDev +15%

Poured from a foil wrapped 33cl bottle into my tulip glass, figured this would make a good 50th review.

The End of the World pours a lovely hazy apricot color, highlights of golden wheat when held to the light. I don't think I washed my glass properly because despite my efforts, the head was unimpressive and dissipated quickly. Can't blame that on the beer.

Smell is divine. Sweet like candy, mixed with a dash of cloves and other spices, light colored fruits, yeast, of course heavy dose of malt, with a bite of hops followed by the alcohol. Don't think I've ever written a 'smell' description that long. Wow.

Taste is unworldly good as well. All of the aforementioned in the smell, but the fruits come through more obviously...pear and apple seam to stick out. And even though I emptied the entire bottle into the glass, the yeast settles rapidly to the bottom and doesn't ruin the other flavors, actually blending rather nicely.

Mouthfeel is right on par for what you'd expect in a great tripel. perfect light-medium carbonation, easy.

If the end of the world was actually coming, I would not be very happy if this was the last beer I ever had. Well done, Unibroue, you lived up to the hype.

11-01-2009 19:16:19 | More by AmberMan22
cbarrett4

Oregon

4.97/5  rDev +15%

Poured from 330ml into beer snifter (tulip)

Poured with nice head settling to a fine lace. Hazy golden hue with some sediment in the bottom of the glass (some lees and what looks like adjunct) showing the lack of filtration (a good thing). Stunning aromas of nectarine, pear, white flowers, white pepper, and sour yeast (yum!). Exceptionally rich flavor, massive body and concentration. The finish is luxurious but mellow at the same time. Very drinkable, but watch the 9% alcohol, it will creep up on you! This is definitely in my top 10 beers!

Also note: I have had this beer on tap at several bars and I have to say stick to bottle. This beer has a tendency to build up deposit in the lines and also sells slower than most taps so I have never had a completely 'sound' pour on draft.

11-15-2009 06:23:53 | More by cbarrett4
unclemeat9

S - Clove, hints of citrus, yeast, sugar

T - Classic Belgian blonde flavor. Yeasty and well-spiced. Somehow, they manage to make the high ABV unnoticeable.

M - Wonderful carbonation releases all of the spices and lets them slowly dissipate on the palette.

I swear the good people at Unibroue have kidnapped Trappist monks and brought them to their brewery in Quebec. They're making beers that are easily just as good, if not better in some cases, than the classic Belgian breweries.

01-01-2010 06:34:34 | More by unclemeat9
ksimons

4.97/5  rDev +15%

A-hazy orange with a white foamy head that slowly disappears

S-spicy, orange sweetness

T-moderate carbonation and spiciness, sweet, warming alcohol is apparent in the spiciness of the beer, dry finish, really complex flavors that all come together

M-medium body, sweet and smooth, and refreshing

One of the best beers I have ever had, highly recommended

03-21-2010 23:15:16 | More by ksimons
Stocean1

Ontario (Canada)

4.97/5  rDev +15%

Although I have been a lover of fine brew for some time this is the first beer that has compelled me to share my feelings about it to the world. I in fact opened an account to share my feelings about this brew.

Smell and taste warm banana bread, flowers, citrus and cloves. The alcohol at 9% is imperceptible - i could and have drank this all night

High carbonation - nice lasting head - with patchy lacing.

As a canadian I feel a little more patriotic knowing this masterpiece was brewed here.

04-06-2011 17:38:14 | More by Stocean1
rowingbrewer

4.97/5  rDev +15%

This beer pours a golden straw color with a bit of haze to it and a big head that lasts a little while, though i don't know if that was from the beer itself, or the fact that i was the last pour from the 750ML bottle. The smell is is wonderful with belgian yeast notes up front with the floral spiciness following and finishing with malty breadiness. the taste is very similar to the smell with a great belgian yeasty spiceness up front and a bread like sweetness to finish it off. the mouthfeel is amazing as the beer seems pretty dry at first then in the finish rounds out with a little sweetness, and nice carbonation. overall this beer is an A+

06-17-2011 19:05:21 | More by rowingbrewer
LoveBeerNo7

Ontario (Canada)

4.97/5  rDev +15%

Appearance: Slightly hazy blonde with a golden hue. Poured on tulip glass. Nice 2-inch white creamy head fades down to form a thick lacing, which remains throughout the entire session.
SRM: 5-6

Smell: Banana, melon, pineapple, pepper and clove. Juicy fruit bubblegum all the way through. Super spicy yeasty esters presentation.

Taste: Lemon zest, a bit of cream and mildness from the thick powdery yeast. Straw like chewiness and weak cotton candy-like strawberry; sweet, lingering flavour with slight wheat tartness.

Mouthfeel: Medium to high carbonation. Exceptionally warm and dry finish, considering suggested sweetness from fruity aroma and flavour. Well-balanced alcohol.

Overall: At 14 ºC, this is the greatest tripel from Quebec that goes beyond the style and expectations. Could be considered too delicious to become a classic, but it certainly exudes hard to achieve complexities.

12-05-2011 02:37:43 | More by LoveBeerNo7
Luigi

4.97/5  rDev +15%

Cloudy orange color with a foamy think head. Awesome head retention And lacing. Sticks to the glass the whole time. Put it up to a light and you can see carbonation bubbles rushing to the top. From start to finish this Tripel looks great!!

Very crisp aroma. Hints of orange peel, coriander, cloves, bread, and some sweetness from the alcohol.

A fruity tartness hits the tongue at first. Tart like a fresh orange. After that hings of cloves, bread, yeast, and an almost sugar like sweetness. But, this ale has a great balance because the yeast and the grains just pull through.

Light body made refreshing and crisp from the carbonation. At 9% abv they do a very good job at hiding this because is a very very! drinkable Tripel. Probably one of the best damn Tripel ales I have tasted.

Hands down you must try this Ale and now it is easy to find (at least in my state). Can I have some more?

12-24-2011 05:02:27 | More by Luigi