La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,846 | Hads: 9,378
4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

Kappy's was selling a Unibroue mixed eight-pack. This was the beer that really turned me on to Belgian Strong Pale Ales, and Belgian style beers in general. I let this warm to around 40º F and served it in one of my Duvel tulips.

Appearance: Pours a hazy brilliant golden with a thick fluffy creamy head, that slowly fades to a very persistent thin half-inch layer that leaves patchy lace.

Smell: Yeasty with a sweet fruitiness. Notes of citrus, bananas, light graininess, pepper and alcohol.

Taste: Sweet malts and fruits, including bananas and citrus. The finish is a nice interplay of peppery and spicy alcohol, and bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Tingly carbonation, smooth and creamy, with a slight dryness in the finish.

Drinkability: Delicious and drinkable, despite the 9.0% abv. I sessioned this in undergrad.

Overall: One of my favorite, if not favorite Belgian Strong Pale Ales.

4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance: Golden brownish ember, waves of yellow grain, thick and work of art.

Smell: Powerful nose, but fruity solid bouquet.

Taste: The levels of earthiness and fruity grains dances on the palate.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is present, but not overpowering.

Drinkability: Strong, deep flavors, this is to be enjoyed like a good book near the fire. Sadness will occur when the beer is no more

4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

A: Thick, fluffy, one-finger head. The beer itself is liquid gold as the name implies.

S: Really tangy, citrusy smell. Mostly oranges. I can pick up some banana and thought I smelled cotton candy a time or two.

T: Orange flavors at first that give way to banana and spice. It is really sweet but also very hoppy. Good balance though.

M: Zesty upon entry thats fades to a slightly creamy, dry finish.

D: Very Drinkable. One of my favorites from Unibroue. The hop and malt balance is awesome without sacrificing anything. The alcohol is so well hidden. I think if I were blindfolded I would mistake this one for a hefe

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours yellow orange with a white head that is effervescent and not extraordinarily long lasting. No lace, in fact Duvel is much prettier.

Spicy clove, coriander and pepper aromas on top of some subtle sweet malt notes and noble hops.

Refreshingly tart, spicy and strong. The alcohol is there, so is a bit of farm funkiness, alot of spiciness and a pleasant hop bitterness all supported by a solid malt backbone.

Light to medium bodied, and very refreshing and drinkable, but also warming. Works on s cold winter night or a hot summer morning. In a word, awesome.

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

This is beer is tasty and feels good going down. It hits you like a brick, so be careful as it is 9% abv. Please don't chug this beer, you will be a disgrace. It is Unibroue's best beer, although whichever one I am drinking at the time is my favorite. Definitely give this beer a try!

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Westmalle chalice.

A: Golden orange, somewhat hazy but glows translucently against a light. White head with large bubbles, which quickly dissipates to a thin film with a tighter ring around the chalice.

S: Citrusy (not grapefruit like an American Pale Ale but more lemony), with a note of honey and spices.

T: Begins with a sweet malt, then moves into a tart but balanced flavor with a slight hop bitterness and a noticeable prickliness from the high carbonation. Fades into a dry finish. Throughout, the phenolic character of the yeast strain is evident, but well-integrated.

M: Light, but somewhat viscous, like a well-carbonated honey might be.

D: Unbelievably quaffable. It has no hint of its quite high ABV.

Overall: In my view, the best abbey triple available in Ohio. Beers from Unibroue are usually found here in very good condition, unlike some of the true Belgians which sometimes sit on store shelves for months or longer with wide variations in storage temperature. This is simply an outstanding beer and the epitome of the style.

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured into a snifter style glass. Very cloudy, completely opaque and golden in color: there is indeed quite a bit of yeast in this brew. Initially the beer was chilled (don't know approx. temperature) and gradually warmed during the drinking session. It barely had a head (which soon disappeared...a bit unfortunate [though I quite enjoyed the opaque cloudiness!]), and it did have a quite pleasant smell. The taste was very well balanced between the hops and the malt, not too sweet and not too bitter. When it was chilled the flavor was more restrained yet reminiscent of apples. As it warmed up, it had more of a heavier banana flavor. Both the flavor and the feel of it (carbonation) immediately reminded me of champagne (though the comparison follows only to a point). This has definite cross-over appeal (considering the flavor, mouthfeel, as well as the presentation [both the caged and corked bottle as well as the appropriate glasswear]). Along with Stone's Double Bastard and Russian Imperial Stout, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Nut Brown Ale and Orval's Trappist Ale, this is truly my favorite beer so far.

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance-Pours with huge lacy white head. Unfortunately I do not have a tulip glass so I had to pour into a standard pint glass. Hazy golden yellow color. Head quickly dissipates and does not cling to glass.

Smells of yeast, fruit, cloves and spices.

Taste-Very sweet taste in the beginning with fruit, cloves and bready flavor. Slight citrus taste. Finishes with a nice bitterness to balance out the sweetness. Beer improved with time. Do not serve overly chilled. Flavors really come out as beer warms up.

Mouthfeel- Very crisp and refreshing. Nice dry feeling in the mouth. Not overly carbonated, nice and smooth.

Drinkability-Extremely drinkable! 9% abv is well hidden so watch out!

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

This is my first post on beer even though over the past two summers I have tried over 100 beers (mainly this summer) I have just began drinking Belgium Ales but this is one of my favorite beers of all time. I drank it out of a Goblet and found it easily drinkable and loved the overall texture, smell, taste. I am definitely going to do this again

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

A: Mildly cloudy brew with an amber appearance and a off-white head that lingers for about 5 minutes to a nice lace for the remainder of the glass.

S: Talking complex! Spices, yeast, hint of wheat, hint of alcohol, note of honey. Delicious!!

T: Flavor that doesn't stop! Alcohol is masked extremely well for 9%, Notes of cloves, yeast, caramel, wheat, honey, mild hops. Maybe a slight nutty sorta cinnamon note in the aftertaste.

M: heavy complex body, tart dry aftertaste, sweet start, perfect carbonation.

D: Very easy to drink, especially with a steak meal or seafood. high alcohol with a low alcohol taste that will get yo in trouble after a few. (I'm starting to feel a buzz already) Love this one! Recommend it to all at least once.

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

A - Slightly hazy light orange, which a dense whipped head, which maintained through the glass, with clingy lacing. Nice carbonation.

S - Slightly fruity, with clove and spicing notes.

T - Here is where the beer shines. Classicly tripel with spice, clove, fruit. Smooth complexity makes this brew a standout. 9% ABV is so well hidden that this is deceptively devilish. Very, very well made.

M - Smooth and silky. Nicely carbonated. This beer just swims on the tounge.

D - Would it not be for the 9% ABV, this beer would be an all night drinker. This beer is so well done that all the flavors, aromas, and textures meld so well as to make this a really drinkable tripel. Possibly my favorite tripel.

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

Ap: Looks a little thin at first and the head wasn't really up to snuff. Medium head with some decent lacing. But that was really all there was to it.

Smell: Cotton Candy, Orange Citrus and Spice. All three of the smells are distinct and mix well with each other.

Taste: Blends the orange, sugar and spice just right. Mouth feel is smooth smooth smooth.

Drinkability: I usually share all my great finds with my friends. I was so impressed with this beer I think I will hoard this to myself. It is that good.

Notes: Please pick this up if you see it in the store. You will be glad you did.

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

This is my favorite beer in the world. Pouring it angled properly yields little head, sometimes I get a thick foamy white head. There are tons of sweet and fragrant aromas that I'm not so good at identifying, but it is quite pleasant. I know cloves are in there. The taste is similar, with many different flavors. VERY smooth, flavorful, yet robust with a well-hidden 9% kick that you feel in your head rather than your tongue. The label of the bottle is amazing, and the title is French for "The End of the World." For me, personally, this is the end-all-be-all of great beer. I also love the sound of the cork popping. These are now available at my local grocer (the nice one, anyway) for around $7 a bottle. Awesome deal.

Poured into matching Tulip glass from 12oz bottle

A- Pours a hazy yellow with a 1 finger lively head that sticks around but doesn't have much lacing. Lots of tiny bubbles.

S- Grapes, apricot, alcohol, bread all at the same time.

T- Very smooth malt backbone, with lots of spices from the Belgian yeast. Then get a sweetness that goes with the lighter fruit presence. Finishes with a nice alcohol tinge, not to strong though

M- Carbonated and wonderful. Goes down so smooth. No alcohol bite.

Overall this is one of my favorite beers, in my favorite style. They do a great job with this one getting all sorts of flavors but leaving out the alcohol bite that are in some tripels.

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

What can I say that hasn't already been said? One of my all time favorite brews. Beautiful blonde complexion, incredibly complex nose and the perfect balance of spice, fruit, malt and hops makes this brew dangerously drinkable. It really does not get much better than this. Kudos to Unibroue for retaining the quality of this fine tripel over the years.

Exceptional in every way.

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

This is a very special beer. I opened the bottle to the smell of New Belgium's Abbey (Double). The smell was clean and balanced. Nothing stuck out. The taste is very light on the tongue with a hint of ginger and sweet alcohol as pointed out before. What impressed me the most about this brew was its drinkability and mouthfeel. This feels like a slightly flat champagne and ends very crisp. This drinks like a normal beer but has twice the alcohol. Very nice. Will try to brew some of my own.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Simply outstanding. I wish I could bathe in this stuff. Cloudy straw in color. Some people may knock it for being so hazy and unrefined. I personally like beer that is adds to the mystery. The yeast really add complexities layed upon more complexities. I am somewhat at a loss as to how to describe the taste. Others have mentioned tart apples...yeah maybe, but so much more. Each sip is a new experience. A beer that no doubt would age well. Unibroue is an expectional brewery, and this is (in my opinion) their best offering.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Pale golden in color with a huge white head. Head stays fairly well. Excellent aroma that I'm taking great pleasure in. Black pepper spiciness, tart fruitiness, breadiness, and plain old yeast. Sure, it doesn't sound like much, but it certainly is a pleasure to sniff. And to drink...! Wow, I'm impressed. Sweetness and black pepper, odd combination? No way, it's great! Up front it's a little hoppy, then in the middle it gets to the sweet and peppery bit. Bready and a little yeasty as well, all the way through. Tangy citrus and fruitiness shows up at the back a bit more. Hop bitterness is really brought out in the finish, making it very crisp. Medium body. You'd never guess at the abv. Not a hint of it is detectable! A wonderful representation of the style, one of the best even. A wonderful beer in itself. It makes you think, what if the world was about to end? What would be your last beer? I'd say this wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance - An orange golden w/ minimal white head

Smell - it was a citrus smell with some coriender seed mixed into it.

Taste - A strong corriender seed and citrus combination. very very good, it was a very unique taste that i haven't tasted before.

Mouthfeel - very crisp with alot of carbonation, very smooth and delightful to drink on a beautiful summer day.

Drinkability - very drinkable, i have to remember this is a 9% beer since it doesn't have a hint of alcohol in its flavor. I could drink this all day and is by far my favorite triple yet.

serving type - 330 ml bottle. from a tulip

appearance - a light copper pour, good head that fades moderately but sticks. lacing is nice and coats the glass with a certain grasp. a bit hazy which is nice if you ask me. very inviting.

smell - very similar to delerium tremens. tropical scents purge my nostrils along with distinctive spice and a slight hop scent. alcohol is faint but a bit evident. smells just extraordinary, nothing like it.

taste - like a nice ol' kick in the mouth, it simply floods to the nooks and crannies of your mouth and shows them what exactly delicous taste is like. just pleasant all around. strong notes of fruitiness along with a slight bitter twinge from the hop character. finishes crispy and clean yet resides enough to prepare you for the next sip. taste is also very similar to delerium tremens, curious if they use the same or a similar yeast strain.

mouthfeel - not heavy at all but not light. very good balance on the palette and really quite nice. just makes you want another drink.

drinkability - very easy drinking, though it does have some depth so you have to draw the line somewhere, surely only out of fullness and not out of boredom with flavor. just a premium beer, delicious at every point of the beer from top to bottom.

tip - serve in a tulip, perfect for the nose and helps with the head just a bit. great to share with friends and family. just a great beer.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

750mL bottle (w/ cork). The first pouring yielded little head, but the smell which hit me almost immediately as I started pouring was a beautiful citrus and peach odour. The colour was a beautiful cloudy pale gold. The taste is magnificent, completely disguising the high alcohol content. The second pouring gave about 2cm of head, and tasted just as good as the first. An extremely good and drinkable beer!! Glad I am that I chose this to drink on my birthday.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Again, for a non-Belgian beer, Unibroue seems to have the style down.
A nice golden yellow color, with white lacy head. The lace lingered on in patches down the glass throughout drinking. "On lees", but if poured slowly, it is crystal clear.
The smell was comprable to Cantillon Iris, with less grapefruit and more subtle hints of the Belgian yeast strains. Has the Unibroue nose that is found in almost all their beers. Compared to the Cantillon, it actually is a bit more pleasant to smell, as it is not overpowering on the first whiff.
Hints of coriander and orange cut through the crispness of the beer. A light tartness, but the malt/sugar content cuts smooths it out, creating a nice blend.
The motuhfeel can be a bit crisp or light, but not so much as to be distracting.
At 9%ABV, its still a very drinkable beer. It is not heavy, and I don't really ever feel like I'm filling up when having it.
A wonderful Tripel that holds up to any other of the style that I've had.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

This beautiful belgian pours hazy yellow, like a misty sunrise at the beach. The head is rocky and thick, dissipating to a thin layer with belgian swirls. Lacing is impressive.

The aroma is clean and floral, spiced with cloves and a fruity bouquet, with hoppy character. I love this style of beer.

Accents of clove, banana and apricot, with a clean and crisp hoppiness, abound. The malts are well-balanced with the hop bitterness. This beer could make me lose my way back to reality. This is exceptional brew! Warms as it flows down the throat, leaving a glow from the combination of hops and alcohol.

I could drink this for eternity! Truly a beer worth seeking out!

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

I was amazed when I notice the other day that I've never actually written a review of my favorite beer. Not much to say that hasn't been said, but I'll give it a shot. The beer is a beautiful golden hazy yellow, with a big foaming white head that soon dissipates. The nose is classic, fruity and yeasty. The taste is an amazing blend of citrus, malt, and slight sweetness, with the littlest hint of hops. Incredibly drinkable for a 9.0% ABV. This is my go-to beer when I'm just looking for something great to entertain friends or kick back and relax.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance: Poured a cloudy wheat color into my Allagash tulip. About two fingers of thick, white head rose and dissipated to a foamy lacing.

Smell: Reminds me of summer. Deliciously yeasty, reminding me of a hefeweizen. Orange, lemon, apple, and herbs, maybe cloves. Oh, baby!

Taste: That may be the closest I come to heaven...besides when I drink hefe, that is. Follows the enticing aromas. It's yeasty goodness is complimented with flavors of orange, lemon, apple, and cloves (maybe). There's a bit of a hop bite, but the malts dominate, and it just gets better and better as it warms. (I'm really not sure why BA recommends such a cold serving temperature.)

Drinkability: Awesome. Sip the goodness.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue