La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 9,163 | Reviews: 2,857
4.97/5  rDev +15%

750 ML bottle with an expiration date of 4-6-14.

I had to use pliers to get the cork to budge and it left the bottle with a really loud pop but no overflow. It looks slightly hazy in the brown bottle and I can see some sediment.

A- Pours a slightly hazy gold color into a snifter with a one inch head that quickly dissipated to a foamy cap. Many lines of tiny bubbles.

S- What a magnificent nose. Sweetness, probably the alcohol but under that the malt and a hint of hops. Fresh fruit and floral notes. Deep, rich and persistent.

T- The taste is amazing. Mango, pineapple, mildly sweet up front giving way to a cider like tang at the finish. Some yeast notes in the finish.

M- Full bodied, carbonation is noticeable like a good sparkling wine. Carbonation yields to a velvety texture.

O- This is a very complex, well made triple with a huge flavor profile. I really want to give this a 5 but I didn't get the big creamy head that is supposed to be typical for this style. I'm not sure it is reasonable to expect a creamy head since this is bottle conditioned with carbonation that reminds me of fine Champaign. I am going to make this a regular part of my lineup and look forward to pairing it with food.

4.97/5  rDev +15%

A-hazy orange with a white foamy head that slowly disappears

S-spicy, orange sweetness

T-moderate carbonation and spiciness, sweet, warming alcohol is apparent in the spiciness of the beer, dry finish, really complex flavors that all come together

M-medium body, sweet and smooth, and refreshing

One of the best beers I have ever had, highly recommended

4.97/5  rDev +15%

Cloudy orange color with a foamy think head. Awesome head retention And lacing. Sticks to the glass the whole time. Put it up to a light and you can see carbonation bubbles rushing to the top. From start to finish this Tripel looks great!!

Very crisp aroma. Hints of orange peel, coriander, cloves, bread, and some sweetness from the alcohol.

A fruity tartness hits the tongue at first. Tart like a fresh orange. After that hings of cloves, bread, yeast, and an almost sugar like sweetness. But, this ale has a great balance because the yeast and the grains just pull through.

Light body made refreshing and crisp from the carbonation. At 9% abv they do a very good job at hiding this because is a very very! drinkable Tripel. Probably one of the best damn Tripel ales I have tasted.

Hands down you must try this Ale and now it is easy to find (at least in my state). Can I have some more?

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

La Fin Du Monde is a party in my mouth. Keep looking for a better beer---haven't found one yet.

Smooth from start to finish. Spices that blend well--cinnamon, citrus..Nice head and lacing. The taste left on your tongue after a sip is where you can pick out the individual spices.

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

750ml brown bottle, a best before date on the back label(10-01-11).
2-25-09 update - Had a 12oz and it has a much spicier scent and flavor, clearer golden-yellow, but just as good!

A: Foamy off white head. Cloudy, golden-yellow straw color.

S: Heavy sugar citrus scent. Slight clove and spice scents.

T&M: clove spiciness with some sweetness. Medium-heavy bodied with fruity flavors. Slightly dry finish.

Notes: Definitely my favorite of the "Unibroue" ales.

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

One of my top 3 brews. If you love tripels this is one of the finest examples. Treat yourself.

Pours a golden honey brew with a full beige creamy crown. Cloudy body, with nice carbonation. Very easy on the nose with some floral, banana, cloves and sweet malts notes, with a slight touch of alcohol. Very similar on the palate than on the nose, although the alcohol tends to come out as the brew warms up. Great drinkability and surprisingly refreshing for a 9%abv tripel.

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

By far one of my all time favorite beers and a first choice when recommending a new beer to a friend. To me the smell and taste has that familiar fruit, almost banana, like resonance of many tripels and some hefes but isn't over bearing as with some. Initially sweet with a hoppy finish, tons of flavor throughout and a lasting dryness as it parts. I am not so grandiose to claim notes of different tastes but the flavor is not a simple one, yet doesn't confuse my mouth as it typically grins after the first taste.

I love the head of this beer- thick and creamy and sticks to the glass... Never before had I appreciated such a thing before trying this beer.

I gave appearance a 5 because the presentation is is great and in a glass it looks a lot like a tripel, can not ask for anything more, nor can I find anything to fault.

The only fault I find is this beer tends to be slightly too carbonated, not over the top but just more than it needs to be.

A must try, in my book, if you are even slightly interested in venturing out in the beer world. Fairly easy to find and not overly expensive but be careful as you will not notice the 9% alc/vol as you are tasting this "End of the World" experience.

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

12oz brown bottle, no freshness date, served in an oversized wine glass.

Pours a dark yellow/light amber. Very cloudy. Cannot see my hand through it. Even with a gentle pour a three or four finger head develops in the glass. The retention is quite nice, as it doesn’t recede at all with some agitation. Pretty color, lack of clarity for all the right reasons, great head. It leaves lots of nice lacing on the glass. Nice.

The smell...all I can say is wow. It’s like smelling a mellowed flower bed/spice garden in a glass. Totally intriguing with notes of lavender, cloves, roses, orange citrus, and more. Absolutely stunning.

The taste is just as stunning. Starts a little spicy on the tongue, like an alcohol-infused citrus. As it moves to the back of your mouth more of the clove richness comes through. After swallowing it, a floral effervescence floats up into the back of your mouth and back of your nose, highlighting the great rose and lavender notes. It’s amazing. Mouthfeel is smooth as silk, with just a touch of carbonation sizzle.

A nearly perfect beer. So complex, so intriguing, but also so drinkable. It's smooth as silk (even at 9% ABV you'd have to struggle to detect it) and fun to sip. I'll definitely be stocking up on this one.

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

Kappy's was selling a Unibroue mixed eight-pack. This was the beer that really turned me on to Belgian Strong Pale Ales, and Belgian style beers in general. I let this warm to around 40º F and served it in one of my Duvel tulips.

Appearance: Pours a hazy brilliant golden with a thick fluffy creamy head, that slowly fades to a very persistent thin half-inch layer that leaves patchy lace.

Smell: Yeasty with a sweet fruitiness. Notes of citrus, bananas, light graininess, pepper and alcohol.

Taste: Sweet malts and fruits, including bananas and citrus. The finish is a nice interplay of peppery and spicy alcohol, and bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Tingly carbonation, smooth and creamy, with a slight dryness in the finish.

Drinkability: Delicious and drinkable, despite the 9.0% abv. I sessioned this in undergrad.

Overall: One of my favorite, if not favorite Belgian Strong Pale Ales.

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance: Golden brownish ember, waves of yellow grain, thick and work of art.

Smell: Powerful nose, but fruity solid bouquet.

Taste: The levels of earthiness and fruity grains dances on the palate.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is present, but not overpowering.

Drinkability: Strong, deep flavors, this is to be enjoyed like a good book near the fire. Sadness will occur when the beer is no more

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

A: Thick, fluffy, one-finger head. The beer itself is liquid gold as the name implies.

S: Really tangy, citrusy smell. Mostly oranges. I can pick up some banana and thought I smelled cotton candy a time or two.

T: Orange flavors at first that give way to banana and spice. It is really sweet but also very hoppy. Good balance though.

M: Zesty upon entry thats fades to a slightly creamy, dry finish.

D: Very Drinkable. One of my favorites from Unibroue. The hop and malt balance is awesome without sacrificing anything. The alcohol is so well hidden. I think if I were blindfolded I would mistake this one for a hefe

4.94/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours yellow orange with a white head that is effervescent and not extraordinarily long lasting. No lace, in fact Duvel is much prettier.

Spicy clove, coriander and pepper aromas on top of some subtle sweet malt notes and noble hops.

Refreshingly tart, spicy and strong. The alcohol is there, so is a bit of farm funkiness, alot of spiciness and a pleasant hop bitterness all supported by a solid malt backbone.

Light to medium bodied, and very refreshing and drinkable, but also warming. Works on s cold winter night or a hot summer morning. In a word, awesome.

4.94/5  rDev +14.4%

This is beer is tasty and feels good going down. It hits you like a brick, so be careful as it is 9% abv. Please don't chug this beer, you will be a disgrace. It is Unibroue's best beer, although whichever one I am drinking at the time is my favorite. Definitely give this beer a try!

4.94/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Westmalle chalice.

A: Golden orange, somewhat hazy but glows translucently against a light. White head with large bubbles, which quickly dissipates to a thin film with a tighter ring around the chalice.

S: Citrusy (not grapefruit like an American Pale Ale but more lemony), with a note of honey and spices.

T: Begins with a sweet malt, then moves into a tart but balanced flavor with a slight hop bitterness and a noticeable prickliness from the high carbonation. Fades into a dry finish. Throughout, the phenolic character of the yeast strain is evident, but well-integrated.

M: Light, but somewhat viscous, like a well-carbonated honey might be.

D: Unbelievably quaffable. It has no hint of its quite high ABV.

Overall: In my view, the best abbey triple available in Ohio. Beers from Unibroue are usually found here in very good condition, unlike some of the true Belgians which sometimes sit on store shelves for months or longer with wide variations in storage temperature. This is simply an outstanding beer and the epitome of the style.

4.94/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured into a snifter style glass. Very cloudy, completely opaque and golden in color: there is indeed quite a bit of yeast in this brew. Initially the beer was chilled (don't know approx. temperature) and gradually warmed during the drinking session. It barely had a head (which soon disappeared...a bit unfortunate [though I quite enjoyed the opaque cloudiness!]), and it did have a quite pleasant smell. The taste was very well balanced between the hops and the malt, not too sweet and not too bitter. When it was chilled the flavor was more restrained yet reminiscent of apples. As it warmed up, it had more of a heavier banana flavor. Both the flavor and the feel of it (carbonation) immediately reminded me of champagne (though the comparison follows only to a point). This has definite cross-over appeal (considering the flavor, mouthfeel, as well as the presentation [both the caged and corked bottle as well as the appropriate glasswear]). Along with Stone's Double Bastard and Russian Imperial Stout, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Nut Brown Ale and Orval's Trappist Ale, this is truly my favorite beer so far.

4.94/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance-Pours with huge lacy white head. Unfortunately I do not have a tulip glass so I had to pour into a standard pint glass. Hazy golden yellow color. Head quickly dissipates and does not cling to glass.

Smells of yeast, fruit, cloves and spices.

Taste-Very sweet taste in the beginning with fruit, cloves and bready flavor. Slight citrus taste. Finishes with a nice bitterness to balance out the sweetness. Beer improved with time. Do not serve overly chilled. Flavors really come out as beer warms up.

Mouthfeel- Very crisp and refreshing. Nice dry feeling in the mouth. Not overly carbonated, nice and smooth.

Drinkability-Extremely drinkable! 9% abv is well hidden so watch out!

4.94/5  rDev +14.4%

This is my first post on beer even though over the past two summers I have tried over 100 beers (mainly this summer) I have just began drinking Belgium Ales but this is one of my favorite beers of all time. I drank it out of a Goblet and found it easily drinkable and loved the overall texture, smell, taste. I am definitely going to do this again

4.94/5  rDev +14.4%

A: Mildly cloudy brew with an amber appearance and a off-white head that lingers for about 5 minutes to a nice lace for the remainder of the glass.

S: Talking complex! Spices, yeast, hint of wheat, hint of alcohol, note of honey. Delicious!!

T: Flavor that doesn't stop! Alcohol is masked extremely well for 9%, Notes of cloves, yeast, caramel, wheat, honey, mild hops. Maybe a slight nutty sorta cinnamon note in the aftertaste.

M: heavy complex body, tart dry aftertaste, sweet start, perfect carbonation.

D: Very easy to drink, especially with a steak meal or seafood. high alcohol with a low alcohol taste that will get yo in trouble after a few. (I'm starting to feel a buzz already) Love this one! Recommend it to all at least once.

4.94/5  rDev +14.4%

A - Slightly hazy light orange, which a dense whipped head, which maintained through the glass, with clingy lacing. Nice carbonation.

S - Slightly fruity, with clove and spicing notes.

T - Here is where the beer shines. Classicly tripel with spice, clove, fruit. Smooth complexity makes this brew a standout. 9% ABV is so well hidden that this is deceptively devilish. Very, very well made.

M - Smooth and silky. Nicely carbonated. This beer just swims on the tounge.

D - Would it not be for the 9% ABV, this beer would be an all night drinker. This beer is so well done that all the flavors, aromas, and textures meld so well as to make this a really drinkable tripel. Possibly my favorite tripel.

4.94/5  rDev +14.4%

Ap: Looks a little thin at first and the head wasn't really up to snuff. Medium head with some decent lacing. But that was really all there was to it.

Smell: Cotton Candy, Orange Citrus and Spice. All three of the smells are distinct and mix well with each other.

Taste: Blends the orange, sugar and spice just right. Mouth feel is smooth smooth smooth.

Drinkability: I usually share all my great finds with my friends. I was so impressed with this beer I think I will hoard this to myself. It is that good.

Notes: Please pick this up if you see it in the store. You will be glad you did.

4.94/5  rDev +14.4%

This is my favorite beer in the world. Pouring it angled properly yields little head, sometimes I get a thick foamy white head. There are tons of sweet and fragrant aromas that I'm not so good at identifying, but it is quite pleasant. I know cloves are in there. The taste is similar, with many different flavors. VERY smooth, flavorful, yet robust with a well-hidden 9% kick that you feel in your head rather than your tongue. The label of the bottle is amazing, and the title is French for "The End of the World." For me, personally, this is the end-all-be-all of great beer. I also love the sound of the cork popping. These are now available at my local grocer (the nice one, anyway) for around $7 a bottle. Awesome deal.

Poured into matching Tulip glass from 12oz bottle

A- Pours a hazy yellow with a 1 finger lively head that sticks around but doesn't have much lacing. Lots of tiny bubbles.

S- Grapes, apricot, alcohol, bread all at the same time.

T- Very smooth malt backbone, with lots of spices from the Belgian yeast. Then get a sweetness that goes with the lighter fruit presence. Finishes with a nice alcohol tinge, not to strong though

M- Carbonated and wonderful. Goes down so smooth. No alcohol bite.

Overall this is one of my favorite beers, in my favorite style. They do a great job with this one getting all sorts of flavors but leaving out the alcohol bite that are in some tripels.

4.94/5  rDev +14.4%

What can I say that hasn't already been said? One of my all time favorite brews. Beautiful blonde complexion, incredibly complex nose and the perfect balance of spice, fruit, malt and hops makes this brew dangerously drinkable. It really does not get much better than this. Kudos to Unibroue for retaining the quality of this fine tripel over the years.

Exceptional in every way.

4.94/5  rDev +14.4%

This is a very special beer. I opened the bottle to the smell of New Belgium's Abbey (Double). The smell was clean and balanced. Nothing stuck out. The taste is very light on the tongue with a hint of ginger and sweet alcohol as pointed out before. What impressed me the most about this brew was its drinkability and mouthfeel. This feels like a slightly flat champagne and ends very crisp. This drinks like a normal beer but has twice the alcohol. Very nice. Will try to brew some of my own.

4.92/5  rDev +13.9%

Simply outstanding. I wish I could bathe in this stuff. Cloudy straw in color. Some people may knock it for being so hazy and unrefined. I personally like beer that is cloudy..it adds to the mystery. The yeast really add complexities layed upon more complexities. I am somewhat at a loss as to how to describe the taste. Others have mentioned tart apples...yeah maybe, but so much more. Each sip is a new experience. A beer that no doubt would age well. Unibroue is an expectional brewery, and this is (in my opinion) their best offering.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue