La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

poured into tulip a light straw color with tiny bubbles racing up the glass, a la champagne.

Slightly sweet cakelike smell with subtle funky yeast, certainly not overpowering. Great mouthfeel, coats the palate and roof of mouth, hell I even feel it coating my teeth. The lingering taste is very nice. Seems a bit thin overall though, causing the alcohol to stand out a shade more, but very solid nonetheless.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

Beer #2 of my 11 aged Unibroue beers. This has been in my father's basement.

Age - 1.17 years

Pale, yellowish-orange color. Lots of darker sediment. Vigorous carbonation rising in specific vertical trails. Smaller head that settles to a light white covering. The aroma is very round and full. Vanilla, banana, mild yeast, and orange peel. The taste begins as a tart citrusy-hop bite followed by a crispy, spicy yeast flavor. The end has a slight alcohol zip, heightened by the fizzy carbonation. The full, malty background has degraded a bit which lets the complex cloves, citrus zest, and hops to take the front seat. The finish seems to be a bit drier as well. The mouthfeel is much lighter and less sticky than I've had before, increasing the drinkability, but reducing the mouthfeel. Overall, I'd say that this beer is in the infant stages of cellaring. The aroma is shifting, the mouthfeel has become more prickly, the beer is starting a noticeable change. It is taking on a very Champagne-ish characteristic.

Join me in about a year for bottle #3...
---

Well, year 2 is here. This bottle is 2.07 years young.

Poured into a flute this beer is very clear now. Deep golden color with an inch head that settles quickly to a half. Very active carbonation maintains the head. The smell is dry, tart, and appley. That round and mellow yeast presence is very limited as the bottle has been sitting uninterrupted for a solid 7 months. I am amazed that there is not one bit of lees or sediment in my pour. Absolutely crystal clear. The taste is becoming more like a saison in that it is dry and peppery with a metallic tone. The rich citrus fruit aspect has gone mostly away and I am left with a sweet white-wine-ish and mild dry beer. I taste what might be very slight oxidation with a noticed bit of papery tone at the end. I will make a decision next year about the future of the rest of the case. If it starts to get cardboardy, I will have a party and get rid of it.

See you again in about a year for bottle #4.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

This poured out a murky golden orange with about a half-inch of white foam sitting atop the body. No lace was left as this was consumed. Aroma was very spicy with notes of a lemony zest and a bit of yeast as well. The taste stays true to the smell with spiciness really dominating with a touch of fruit over a doughy backbone. Lemon and apple notes were the most distinguishable. A nice spicy bitter after taste ending this lovely brew. Mouthfeel was bubbly with about a medium body. Drinkability was good and I would definitely have this again in the future. All around good brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is a great trippel. I thouroughly enjoyed it! It has a High ABV, I believe it is around 9% or so? The beer smells amazing! The color is beautiful, and it has a strong and sweet taste to it. This beer is definitely worth the price and the experience. The only downside to it is how big the bottle is. Sometimes I want just a quick beer. This is definitely a dessert beverage served best with a meal.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours a transparent light gold out of a 12oz'er into a small wine glass.

Head to head against La Chouffe, considerably less carbonation and little head retention with only a rim of lace left after some sips. Smells like a delicious Belgian-style Witbier. Mouthfeel is a little thicker than La Chouffe. Taste is better to me as well.

App. 4, Smell - 4.5, Mouthfeel - 4, Taste - 3.5 - Drinkability - 4

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Purchased a 4pk, poured from their 12oz bottle @ 40 degrees into a 12oz beer glass - nice looking bottle, colorful label, like the silver foil. Had a Duvel last night, looking forward to this, inverted the bottle & stirred up the sediments, let it rest, here we go...

Appearance - Wow! Very audible carbonation, nearly 3 quick fingers of tiny, tight white bubbles, down to just under a finger in 2 minutes. Color is a completely opaque warm amber, yellow to orange hilites when held to the light, barely visible steady bubbles rising within. Appearance reminds me of a hefeweizen.

Smell - From the bottle: Fresh bakery banana bread, yeast, honey, citrus, smells great. From the glass: Same as from the bottle, but now also some floral and grass notes, very slite minerals. Really a wonderful smell, complex, inviting, time to sip...

Taste - Lots of flavors going on here, but the taste doesn't completely follow the smell. Pretty big banana, citrus and yeast up front, some tangerine, pears and plums at the middle, finishes to a floral meadow, then long minerals and alcohol. There are many nice flavors here, just not quite balanced in my opinion, and with no hops to hide the alcohol, booze is the longest flavor on the palate. Not especially surprising at 9% ABV.

Mouthfeel - Medium mouthfeel, a little juicy, a little sweet, somewhat low carbonation, drinkability is good overall.

Overall - I wanted to like this beer more - I was very excited at the appearance and the smell, and while I liked the taste, it just didn't come together for me personally. It was like shifting 3 different gears - sweet fruits, floral meadows, then booze. Don't get me wrong, it's still a very good beer, and we all have our personal preferences. Try this and see if you like it, there are many excellent reviews on this site for this beer. This beer reminded me alot of Sam Adams Imperial White actually.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a creamy white head that recedes to a thick collar and thin cover of bubbles across the top. Lots of bubbles streaming to the top.

The aroma is sweet with belgian yeast dominating alongside light fruits, especially pears and apricots, and plenty of grass and lightly toasted malts.

Taste has a biting sweetness up front with tons of fruity esters, bananas namely. The Belgian yeast is there in the background as is the hints of earthiness, but they're really overtaken by the sweetness. The finish is sweet and sugary, not dry.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and sticky sweet for the style. Again, finish is less dry and more sweet with the alcohol lingering in the aftertaste.

This is a decent tripel but not one of the best I've had. Having just had the Westmalle tripel tonight, this doesn't quite measure up. It's really sweet and less balanced than the best in the style.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

My first Belgian Strong Pale Ale. I don't think this is my favorite style, but I can definitely appreciate the complexity of this style.

A: Pours a light hazy golden with a tremendously fluffy white head. Good retention and lacing.

S: Strong aromas. I'm not sure I have the correct vocabulary to describe them accurately. Fruits (maybe citrus) come to mind.

T: Tastes just like it smells. Srong malts, good hops, and fruity sweetness comes through as it warms. For 9% abv, alcohol is well hidden

M&D: Medium body and creamy mouthfeel. I couldn't drink more than one of these at a time, but I would enjoy this again after a nice dinner.

3.89/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer has been growing on me. My girlfriend loves it, and the first time I had it I literally almost threw up, I thought it was way too yeasty and sweet.
But the more sips I have taken throughout a few years, the more it grows on me.

It smells amazing, and the taste would be perfect if it was just a little less sweet. Basically that's why I love Tripel Karmeliet - it's like a slightly less sweet and yeasty Fin Du Monde. Maybe one day I'll drink a whole glass and enjoy it.

3.89/5  rDev -9.7%

Appearance - uncaps with a rush of air and wispy, smoky trails from the bottle. The color is a slightly hazed straw/yellow with a fizzy white.

Aroma - the yeast gives it most of its character here - doughy, banana with other fruits, clove.

Taste - much the same as the nose. Sweet malt-derived start, estery banana and spicy yeast chiming in. Some fruitiness as well, though indistinct. A smooth finish, nothing new going on, just a sweet, barely detectable abv warmth. For 9%, this beer hides it well.

Mouthfeel - very bubbly and champagne-like. Light body.

Drinkability - though the tripel is not my favorite style, I found this to be a good sipping beer and a fine choice to help me get through the last week of winter 2008.

3.89/5  rDev -9.7%

App: Hazy cider in color with tiny bubbled head. Very foamy head. No lacing, average retention.

Nose: Pepper, cider, pear and peaches.

Taste: Soft yeast, pear and peaches. Crisp carbonation with malty sweetness. 9% alcohol is well hidden.

Notes: Very good.

3.89/5  rDev -9.7%

12 oz. bottle. Best before 6/12/06, enjoyed on 11/7/05. Pours a murky, pale yellow/orange with a medium sized, fizzy, white head. Mostly diminishing. Aroma is banana, orange, lemon and cloves. The flavor is very refreshing, oranges, apricots and bananas. The lively carbonation bites the tongue on the finish. Alcohol is very well hidden. This one was quite enjoyable.

3.89/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.88/5  rDev -10%

I've had this one around for a while now, over a year and a half. I always thought I had reviewed it but I guess I hadn't. Belgian Pales are finally starting to come around for me, typically this hasn't been my favorite style.

Appearance is a light, golden color. Almost light yellow. Poured a little too much off and resulted in plenty of yeast floaties in its clear body. Huge pure white head on the pour. Reduced quickly but left a nice half inch foam cap on the top. Left a nice coating of solid lace in my glass.

Smell is spicy and sweet. Corriander and white pepper predominate with some subtle citrus smells, a bit of orange rind and some pear. Typical for the style, but simple and clean in this example.

Solid malty body to start with, a bit earthy actually. Some citrus and light fruits come in next, pear and apple, followed with a bit of light spice. Finish is grassy with some straw. My guess is that the bit of age this has brought out the maltiness over the already light hops and spiciness. This is still a nicely balanced beer though.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium. Most likely it is heavier than it appears, there is a fair amount of carbonation which makes this crisp on the tongue, but weakens the mouthfeel.

Drinkability is okay. Like I said, I'm not a huge belgian pale fan, but this one comes across nicely balanced and well flavored. The prickly feel on the tongue and stomach warming nature hurt this a bit. I just think that a clean, light flavor natured beer with a lot of carbonation shouldn't feel heavy on the stomach.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

A Champagne like effervescent pour- in sync with the French-Canadian roots, I guess. Good head and retention of 3/4 inch or better.

A hazy gold to orange look with some spice and grain (wheat) in the aroma.This carries into the flavor. A disarmingly smooth and drinkable brew.

I put it right up there with the closer to home New Belgium Trippel.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Poured into a tulip glass

A - Pours a hazy golden color that has a nice two finger head which settles down leaving a nice white coating on top of my glass. Lot's of carbonation going and a very nice lacing profile.

S - Aroma of peaches, pineapple, and spicy yeast and bread. There is also a hint of a peppery flavor that I pick up.

T - A sweet fruity and spicy first taste which smooths out and transitions to a dry and bitter finish. There is a distinct clover flavor in addition to some spicy hops on the back end. The 9% alcohol is extremely well hidden in this beer.

M - Full bodied beer with lots of carbonation on board. The foamy head remains a constant component of the beer throughout.

D - Very drinkable and smooth with very little alcohol warmth. This is dangerously drinkable and delicious. Very nice offering.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Pours a cloudy golden/yellow color with a fluffy white head that fades to nothing - perhaps a slight whispiness, but no crown at all. Nose has a slight spiciness to it - reminds me of apple cider. Bit of citrus. Taste has slight spincess as well with nice fruity/floral layers. Moderate aftertaste that lingers for a bit. Mouthfeel is fairly medium with fairly mild carbonation, in my opinion. This brew kind of reminds me of chardonnay. Quite drinkable.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Whoa! Maybe I've lived in North Carolina too long but I might not ready for a 9% ABV brew. Received this today in a beer of the Month Club and cracked this one first after checking out all these reviews. I have no comparisons in this style or alcohol content yet but I'm in for a treat. Poured a hazy yellow with very nice carbonation. Floral aroma and a real spicy kick to the taste. However, can taste the alcohol. Mouthfeel fantastic. One bottle went to the head . . . impressive. This is a different league for me and I may be ready to step up to the plate.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Friends have been talking about this beer for a while, thus I was excited to try it.

A- Golden yellow, with a beautiful white head that lingered fourfinger for a while.

S- Yeast, pepper, and maybe clove. Others like this smell. Me not really.

T-Fruit and spices. Can taste the alchohol.

M- High Carbonation and thin to medium taste.

D- Would I drink it again? Yeah. But not any time soon. I could see how lovers of this style would go crazy for this well made beer.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

A- Darker and more yellow than a wit, sizable white head at pour, steady carbonation (small bubbles) keeps it present. Fairly clear.

S- Good smell. Slight spice, very wit-like.

T- A lot going on. A wheatiness, a bit medicinal, bubble gum, some coriander ... slight banana.

M- Medium-bodied, rather smooth with just slightest dry feel.

O- Very tasty and more complex than most.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

@home. Bought in Trader Joe's in Daly City, CA.

A: Golden color. Puffy, creamy head like slightly whipped cream.

S: Predominantly spicy. Coriander. Floral. Corn. Citrusy. Honey. Yeasty.

T: Banana, clove, corn - reminds me of a Hefeweizen in that aspect. Malt sweetness - not dry, but not sweet enough to make it cloying (FG 1.012?). Hops balance out the candi sweetness.

M: Medium body. Plenty of carbonation.

O: It is a drinkable, pleasant beer. However, it is also nothing especially complex with spicy notes reigning.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Originally sampled 31 July 2002. A cloudy, pale gold in appearance. It had a large, frothy white head and lots of champagne-like bubbles. It reminded me somewhat of a white beer. Its taste is slightly sweet & fruity. I found it to be very enjoyable and I'd have it again

3.88/5  rDev -10%

A - Very faint pale yellow. Small head. Could be lots better.

S - Sour smell.. some spice and some orangy peel.

T - Right along with the smell, some spice and a orangy tang. There is an overall sourness that is not impressing me.

M - Medium carbonated, some creamyness but thin over all.

D - Easy to drink.. gets better as it warms. The 9% is hidden well. But overall its to tangy and citrusy for my taste.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue