La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

this was a very aromatic beer from the start. nice head and fruity/spicey (cloves maybe ginger) smell as well as after taste. delightfully bitter and pretty strong as well. a nice color kinda cloudy but rich in color. i would say the mouth feel is very lively .a well firmented brew. drinkability is kind of slow after the 2cd one. but still over all very good . i really enjoyed this beer. i also enjoyed its sister.. maudite (pardon if misspelled). but thats another review.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

This is a pretty nice beer, don't get me wrong, but I've tried it numerous times and still don't think it lives up to the hype. It's pretty with a tall white head and hazy straw yellow body.It smelled sweet and spicy (corriander) with a similar flavor. I just find the flavor to fall flat, I get some, but not a great complexity out of it. Still, it's very easy to drink and with little hint of the alcohol. I'd probably go for Duvel instead of this though.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

La Fin Du Monde: The End of the World. Had it in a 750 ml bottle, with the cork top. Until I joined BA, I would never have bought such a beer. Until I reviewed so many (now 100! Beers), I would have gushed over this beer. But I must say, it seems like a paler version of its Belgian counterparts. It was a wonderful looking beer, but had huge chunks of the sediment floating in the second glass, despite my best efforts to pour it steady. Cloudy, golden appearance. Aroma was very pleasant of citrus and yeast. The beer itself was very nice, crisp and clean (almost airy) with a mix of bananas and citrus (fresh oranges). All in all, this beer did not have the aggressive characteristics of a beer like Duvel, and at six bucks a bottle, I was looking for more.

Original Rating Date:
May 18, 2008

High quality tripel. Very easy to drink, made a good summer beer. Cloudy golden hue. Fruity, lemony smell. Taste is well rounded, fruity and spicey. Alcohol not very detectable. This isn't really my style but it's enjoyable. I just wish the Unibroue products were a little easier on the wallet.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

341mL bottle. Pours a beautiful cloudy golden with a modest white head and some yeast particulate floaties. Nose is spice, orange peel, yeast, granny-smith apples. Initial taste shows how high the carbonation is in this tripel. Lots of yeast, bubblegum, citrus, cloves, and tropical fruit. Very smooth and creamy rather than watery and acidic. Alcohol is perfectly hidden. Refreshing, not too light, and awesome! One of the first beers I ever fell in love with.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

341ml bottle poured in a snifter. Part of Collection 2006, a 12-pack sampler from Unibroue.

Golden apricot in colour and hazy. Lots of little carbonation streams. Cream coloured head is over an inch high and foamy and thick. Excellent head retention.

Aroma is predominantly fruity and spicy. Apples, apricots, peaches, spices and that unmistakable belgian yeast scent.

Flavour starts off mildly sweet then a sharp solvent/phenol aspect cuts across the palate. After this subdues, spices and cloves calm things down to a lightly hopped and long, drawn out finish that is dry and spicy. Fruity tones pop in here and there from sip to sip.

Surprisingly light bodied, but highly carbonated. Lots of little pin pricks of carbonation meander across the tongue.

Drinkability is a little lower because this is a sipping beer. It is a little hard to pin down though, because for a few sips it's fine and mighty pleasing, then every so often the phenol/solvent aspect hits you a little stronger and puts me off a bit.

Overall, this is a fine sipping beer meant to be savoured over a span of an evening. However, that said, I tend to lean away from most sipping brews.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured into a tulip glass it produces an inch of head that leaves lacing in clumps. The appearance is golden and somewhat cloudy. The aroma is of cloves, coreander and malt. The taste is very spicy with cloves and malty richness. Maybe a bit of citrus there. The feel is rich with a clean finish.

Seems like something best sipped after a rich meal. It's not something I'd knock down while mowing the lawn.

Defintely something I'll return to when I'm in the mood for Belgian Tripel.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

This was a corked and caged 750ml bottle. Uncorked with gunsmoke showing, poured into Leffe glass as a foaming pale straw coloured liquid with slight haze. Plenty of life in the head that lasted, and easily re-energised when swirled in the glass. The smell was quite a wake-up call. Possibly one of the most unusual collection of aromas I have perceived from a beer glass. The nearest beer smell to this was from an Orval, but there was much more complexity to LFDM with sweet apples adding to the funkiness. This confusion continued in the taste; plenty of sweetness but with spice, alcohol disguised but warming.. High carbonation adding to the nice mouthfeel.

In summary, I'm still confused over this beer! I need to try it again, but I found it a little too challenging and too sweet for my palate.

EDIT: so I have tried this brew again, and I now appreciate it as a very good tripel. For this reason, I am changing the drinkability score from 3 to 4!

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

A complex beer. The aroma was lightly floral and yeasty. I detected aged coriander spice in the nose. This brew has a murky golden hue with a large, rocky white head which dissipates. Deliscious and malty, but well balanced. Not sweet. A touch sour with hints of citrus and alcohol. The 9% ABV is fairly well hidden. Medium body with a creamy mouthfeel. Lively carbonation. An acidic tad in the finish, but mostly just a long and dry finish to an excellent belgian style ale. Belgian Trippel fans must try this one.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance - Pale yellow and a little cloudy. Small off-white head. A nice hiss of carbonation when I opened the bottle.

Smell - Different. I'm not too familiar with the Belgian style beers; I've had a few, but not enough to really know what they are all about. The smell is sort of fruity, malty, and yeasty but also has a sort of spicy funk to it. A little hint of phenolic medicinal smell.

Taste - The taste really matches the smell of this one. Sort of a fruity and malty taste with a heavy taste of yeast and peppery spicyness. Slight alcohol burn from the 9% ABV. It has a nice hop balance that is just shy of balancing the malt but lets the other flavors come through.

Mouthfeel - It has a good heavy body that hangs around in your mouth. It has a little bit of a tongue numbing effect after you've had a few healthy swallows.

Drinkability - Very nice. Definitely a sipper and not a gulper. When doing one of these tastings for BeerAdvocate, I tend to take very frequent sniffs and sips while I am writing. This one has already gone to my head before I can even finish typing the review and I still have half of the glass left.

I remember buying one of these once when I was traveling on business, before I started home brewing and really getting to know craft beers. I didn't remember much about it's flavor other than that I thought it was very strange and not something I'd want to drink much of. Now I can appreciate a lot more of the style and unique flavors these Belgians have.

12oz bottle poured into tulip

Pours a completely hazed soft straw yellow color with some golden hues. Frothy white head bubbles up toward the rim, retaining nicely while streaking some lacing around the glass.

Spicy and fragrant in the nose with a snap of citrus and floral hops. Hints of banana and cracked pepper with clove. Toasted biscuit and light fruit with soft sweetness and a light alcohol warmth.

Crisp hops with a touch of citrus and peppery spice. Fruity notes with banana and pear. Decent sweetness, but fairly well balanced with the backbone. Biscuit and bread malts with a light toast. Finishes warm with some alcohol and spice.

Fuller medium body, slightly higher carbonation, bubbly and crisp on the tongue. It's been years since I've had this, but Unibroue really makes a nice tripel. The ABV is right on point, but not overbearing, and I enjoyed the balance of spice and hops.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz twist off bottle. Best before 3-14-15. Served in an oversized wine glass.

Appearance: Light orange in color. Reminds me of peach or apricot. 2 fingers of a slightly off white head dissipated to a thin film coating and collar. Very hazy in the glass with plenty of visible carbonation

Smell: I'm getting a huge blast of fruity esters to start with (peach and apricot specifically). Followed by Belgian yeast spice, clove, slightly medicinal, pear.

Taste: Spicy/powdery yeast, clove, orange, peach/apricot, pear and apple. Nice balance between the juicy, fruit flavors and dry, powdery yeast.

Mouthfeel: Medium/Full bodied with a slick oily mouthfeel. Carbonation is through the roof. Alcohol is hidden well though.

Overall: I honestly don't get what all the fuss is about for this one. It's a good tripel, easily available, and I'd get it again, but it's hardly the best of the style.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured from a 12oz. into a tulip.

Pours a hazy yellow with a bleach white head, some light orange hues are noticable the longer I look. Oh how I love the smell of a Tripel! Apple, pear, clove, black pepper, yeast, and booze. Getting some earthy tones off the first sip, that black pepper is back also. This beer definitely doesn't hide the fact that it's 9%. This beer is smooth at first, but i'm not digging the carbonation on the way down. Overall a very very solid Tripel, but I've had better.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

This pours a very cloudy pale gold with a white head, decent lacing.

There is no distinct flavor, mostly hops.

Its taste very plain, its good, reminds me of Duvel. To me its a very high alcohol session beer. So I'd drink tihs when I get to drunk.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a hazy golden/yellow with 2 fingers of white head that recede slowly, no lacing on the glass.

Aroma (while still cold) is yeast, honey, tart fruit and a hint of malt. As it warms a bit of breadiness and an almost "yogurt with fruit" type smell emerge.

Taste is smooth, hides 9% well, and has notes of grain, pineapple, peaches, yeast and some tartness. It begins with honey and malt and moves into light fruit with a hint of bitterness. The yeast gives a slight pepper flavor. This beer is very complex and some of the flavors are hard to place.

Mouthfeel is coating, moderate thickness and high carbonation.

Overall this beer has great complexity and satisfying flavors. It doesn't quite live up to my favorites (St. Bernardus and Karmeliet) but I would have it again.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

12 oz. twist off bottled pored into a snifter. pores a light golden color with a small white head that fades away to nothing. massive amounts of yest sediment in the bottle.

smell is spicey and hoppy. hints of fruits, wheats and candy sugar.

taste has a nice bubblegum flavor to it. a little mediciney as it gets warmer though. also yeasty and wheaty. i was actually expecting a little more character to the taste. a little dissapointed.

full bodied and dry aftertaste.

this wasn't as good as i expected. the smell was the dominate part of this brew. the taste and smell were way off from each other. not a bad brew overall, i just thought it wasn't as good as it seemed. oh well. was worth the try.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

75cl bottle shared with larryLSB. Hazy golden orange color with a lasting white head. The aroma is yeasty and quite fruity with lots of tangy apricot and tangerine. The flavor is also yeasty, with some of that apricot sweetness, some citric tartness and alcohol. There is definitely some spiciness too. Full-bodied with lively carbonation. When I added the yeast at the end, the alcohol really smoothed out and this became a very nice tripel.

3.76/5  rDev -13%