La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,818 | Hads: 9,223
4.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Head: Nice thick head (used the actual "La Fin Du Monde" glass from Unibroue) clings to glass as you drink, nice carbonation, and a lovely murky golden yellow color.

Smell: yeasty, with hints of fruit

Taste: Spicy and fruity at first. Then a little hint of hops in the middle, and a clean, bubbly, perky finish. as it warms more maltyness is detectible

Mouth feel: Bubbly, classic trappiste feel, medium thickness.

Drinkability: very very high.

Notes: one of the best beers ever. a must try for everyone. (519 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

A pale yellow, cloudy ale with a HUGE head that stayed through much of the glass. Very nice.

The aroma was smoky, which I didn't expect, and nutty, which I did. A little bit of bread-like scent there, due to the yeast, but mostly masked.

The taste was much like it smelled, rich, smoky, nutty, somewhat yeasty, but with an odd taste that I can only describe as... bacon. It was still pretty good, but the oddness of that combination in a beer threw me a curve.

I will probably try this one again when I see it, to see if that bacon flavor was an anomaly... even if it wasn't. it was still worth havin again. (616 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received this corked 750ml bottle as a gift. It had been sitting on top of a fridge for over a year. Exp. date put it good till 9/6/2005. I thought about keeping it awhile longer, but couldn't resist. Uncorked it, and carbonation slowly fizzed to the top. May have chilled it a bit too much. When it began to drip over, I poured. It had a nice frothy head that lasted throughtout the glass. Slightly toned down toward the end. Bubbles also lasted throughout, like a good champagne. The color was cloudy gold. Smells were very fruity, and maybe a touch floral. It tasted like apples, pears, and malt. Not bitter at all. As it warmed, it did take on an alcohol taste. Still nothing like I would have expected for 9% abv. Seemed almost rich in mouthfeel. Like a watered down milkshake consistency. As for drinkability, I found that it was gone too soon!!! Quick note on back of bottle, it was quite clear what type of glass it should be drank from. Showed correct picture, then a big X through incorrect one. I got a kick out of that. (1,031 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%

Damn, I should have bought more than one bottle of this during my trip to Chicago. (I need to see if it can be "imported" into Oklahoma)

It pours to a generous white foam and cloudy gold color. Smell is floral, candylike and unbeerlike but good...smells like it has some good vitamins in it--real nutritious! Flavor is sweet and tangy and fruity with a weird after taste for which you have to acquire an appreciation. It's not awful, just different. Finishes fruity. Hops are detectable. This beer is exceptionally easy to drink so watch out for the buzz. It's like a "hefe" on steroids. A unique and unforgettable taste sensation. (635 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: Incredibly good marketing folks at Unibroue. The packaging is very well done. I have purchased the foiled topped bottle. Serving suggestion and freshness dating on the back.

Smell: Fruity and sweet peach floral notes.

Taste: Oh yeah. Tingly carbonation. Very clean fruit flavors and a slight peppary flavor after the initial carbonation bite. Only a trace of hops on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Very clean smooth and creamy. Leaves me wanting more.

Drinkability: At first, I would be afraid of drinking several of something so high in alcohol. However, this is so nicely balanced, full-flavored, and tasty, I would definitely have a few. Amazing beer. I was always suspicious of Canadian beers, after being underwhelmed by Molson, but I will need to try Unibroue's other offerings now.

I just put a few imperial stouts in the basement for my first try at cellaring. I'll be adding one of these babies in the mix to see just how complex it can get. With the carbonation and alcohol, I'm hoping it will be even more tasty next year. (1,055 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Presentation: 12 oz. foil-capped bottle poured slowly into a Scaldis tulip glass.

Appearance: Cloudy, pale yellowish-orange. This beer requires a slow pour as the head produced from pouring is quite active and intense. The head retention is beautiful, leaving my glass with a pretty lacing.

Smell: Fruity, with some peach notes. The beer is rather phenolic with a faint clove-like aroma from the yeast.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Incredibly smooth a creamy mouthfeel and a decent amount of carbonation to boot. The beer is rather sweet and fruity upfront with some spice. The finish is pretty dry where some hop character is noticable.

Overall: I consider this beer to be the greatest beer made on the continent of North America, and the best beer by the Quebec based Unibroue. This is a phenomenal Belgian-style ale, but also very artisinal and unique for its style. There are simply no other beers in the world like this one. This is a must-try brew! (956 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a thick yellow amber color with a beautiful white head. Smells very yeasty and hoppy. I love the carbonation with the yeast floating in it. Very good looking beer. Tastes nice. A wonderful balance of hops and flavor. I expected this to be another "in your face" Belgian and that is not the case. This is very easy drinking. A lovely pale ale to be savored. Very flavorful without being overpowering. Besides being cost prohibitive, I would drink this more often. (468 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: 12 ounce bottle, capped with foil poured into a tulip (Duvel) glass. The beer is a dark gold color and gives rise to an inch and a half of small fizzy white head. The retention is insane, with a solid 1/2" remaining all the way until the end. Note: The etching on the bottom of the Duvel tulip provides a steady stream of carbonation. Very nice looking beer.

Smell: Very yeasty, even though I decanted slowly to not disrupt the "lees" on which this ale is triple fermented. Some funny corriander-lemon sourness comes through this yeast, as well as a light grassy-funk smell, much like some saison / farmhouse ales.

Taste: At once very unified and well balanced. To paraphase, this is 1/2 Duvel and 1/2 Saision DuPont. It has a nice fruity blend of esters, pear, apple, banana and a firm phenolic spiciness with soft yeast notes to blend the two extremes. Excellent and immensely drinkable.

Mouthfeel: Good, not overly thin, and also not too rich or viscous. Has great carbonation to lend the champagne like effervescence while retaining a moderate/dry maltiness to give this some feet on which to stand.

Drinkability: Also, very good. Drinks somewhat lightly, especially once one realizes it's high ABV of 9%. This beer is easily drank and tasty enough to captivate an interest throughout multiple bottles. My favorite beer from Unibroue that has made my list. (1,384 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a hazy golden color with moderate carbonation. In a really interesting point of comparison, it developed a very pretty 2" white head in a Delerium Tremens snifter and it developed almost no head (a slight covering of the beer only) in a Chimay goblet. Really says something about the importance of glassware. Anyway, the aroma was light, but with an incrediblly pleasant balance of sweetness, honey, light spices (vanilla among others I couldn't identify). Mouthfeel incredible (words don't come to describe it otherwise).

After having read about this beer on BA for some time now, I finally got a chance to try it this past weekend, and I think I have a new candidate for favorite beer. OK, let's say in the top 10. Not because it is as complex as some others I've had, but because the balance is just right on, and I felt like I could drink it and keep drinking it (I'm glad I didn't- that 9% ABV would have done some damage). (937 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance:

Slightly cloudy yellow with intense effervescence and a nice quarter inch white head.

Smell:

A very pleasant herbal aroma coupled with faint yeast undertones.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Hints of medicine, but in a good way. This is some tasty stuff. Crisp and delightful with some metal qualitites. Very fresh tasting. (335 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -10%

A Champagne like effervescent pour- in sync with the French-Canadian roots, I guess. Good head and retention of 3/4 inch or better.

A hazy gold to orange look with some spice and grain (wheat) in the aroma.This carries into the flavor. A disarmingly smooth and drinkable brew.

I put it right up there with the closer to home New Belgium Trippel. (351 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -15.5%

I used to get this one about 6 years ago somewhat regularly. I liked it then. I was curious to see if I would still like it ... and I do.

Appearance - Cloudy, light golden color with head to spare. One bottle produced a good 3 inches of sticky, long standing foam. The next bottle had to be poured in stages it had foamed so much. I rtied to leave the sediment in the bottle too.

Smell - Kinda funky. Not as bad as Trois Pistoles, but similar. Doesn't smell like beer.

Taste - It almost seems like it's gonna be fruity but then it isn't (whew). Lotsa yeast I suppose. Good pale ale flavor.

Mouthfeel - That carbonation really stays active the whole time. Very noticeable in the mouth - like champaign.

Drinkability - I want more. (744 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -28.3%

nice looking brew. poured a typical hazy golden yellow with a nice white head.
smelled of slight citrus and spice and some sugars were there
taste was decent but It had an almost Malt Liquor quality about it, as if it was blended, strange. I experienced the same thing with the 11 offering as well. I did not have this with the darker beers such as Trois or Terrible. Again its a decent beer but not overly impressive for a so called Belgian Strong Pale. (456 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

Caged and corked 750 ml bottle with very cool graphics, a best before date and even a suggested serving glass (tulip), which is exactly what I used. The cork comes off with a very nice resounding "thump", which foreshadows that this is not an ordinary beer. A moderately heavy pour reveals an appearance that is not too out of the ordinary, it's a apricot/darkish yellow, but there is a good sized head and some short-lived lacing. The taste is where this beer really shines. It's at once smooth and creamy, with some orange and tangerine tastes in there, but it also has some zest and fizziness. It also has a great smell, and reminds me of a lighter version of a Chimay or a Duvel. I really liked this beer, and it was reasonably priced (6.00 for a 750 ml). (759 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +6%

Serving a 12 0z bottle. Expiration date 2 years from now-gotta love that. This bottle poured a beautiful hazy golden yellow color. A very small head was all that formed, but this was not a major let down. Smell was wonderful: fruity and with hints of pleasant alcoho undertones. Taste was fruity sweetness. Finish is very crisp. The high ABV is there but hidden well. This is a highly drinkable beer. Enjoy!. (408 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

Now this is more like it! Large bottle, corked and caged. Poured straw/golden and semi cloudy, white tiny bubble head and leaving lace.. Still not getting much of a nose, just a bit of wheat, bubble gum and yeast. Tastes/notes of wheat, yeast, bubblegummy phenolics, fruit, candy sugar, apricots, rum soaked grapes, yum yum. Finish is sweat and smooth. Crisp and nicely turned out Canadian Belgian. (398 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

With a violent pop the cork came out, and out poured some liquid gold. The beer itself is thick, although pale looking, and pleasantly sedimentary and unclear, becoming more so with each glass from the 750 ml. Apple juice colouration, dull orange or yellow; I have seen better and more unique appearances in other Unibroue beers. It is still attractive, nonetheless. The head is near uncontrollable, gargantuan, soapy, bright aspirin-white, with good longevity. Soapy lace, large bubbles. The aroma is earthy yeast, citrus, coriander, apples, peaches, and actually reminded me of Hoegaarden, with more complexity. Belgian taste, slightly metallic, strong yeast, citrus, champagne-like, sweet on the front and surprisingly bitter on the finish, leaving a dry, port or sherry aftertaste. Strong spices, almost peppery, but with good enough maltiness and hop-level, leaving a clove-numbness on the palate. Mouthfeel is h-e-a-v-y. This has a very gassy carbonation, and is quite dry, leaving a feel similar to scotch or whisky in the mouth, which would prevent me from consuming these overly often, but this said, it is quite drinkable for such a highly flavourable and strong beer. Conclusion: for me personally, not my favourite from Unibroue, but compared to other breweries, this is still an absolute dream to consume. This Unibroue beer only tastes less-than-extraordinary when compared to its own line of products. Still a spectacular beer from Quebec. I have yet to taste the equal of Unibroue in North America. (1,514 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: murky sunshine yellow, thick, frothy, soap bubble head with awesome staying power
Smell: fruity, sweet with a mild sour/mildew characteristic
Taste: malty and sweet, too sweet, a variety of condensed fruit, with a little hop bite at the end
Mouthfeel: full, rich, thick foam, the best part of the brew
Drinkability: unfortunately just to overbearingly sweet for me, but I'm a crisp clean lager guy, I rate it above average for it's unique flavor and complexity (476 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -19.5%

The end of the world is a golden orange sunset, adorned with an elegant – though dissipating lace. There’s no explosions, just a subtle fire to spicy a mellow, alcohol laden brew. The banana and clove aroma is soothing while the flavors are simple, delicate, and diverse. Hints of pineapple in the hops were most surprising while the majority of the notes were standard fruits and spices. This is an average interpretation of an awesome style. Though light on body, this brew was quite drinkable. C’est la fin du la monde, et je me sens bien. (545 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

I used the glass I had available. Not a snifter. I used a Pint glass. Nice clean dark yellow color not much head. The aroma was spicey with a light fruitiness. the taste was at first sweet then a strong spicey, peppery middle with a kind of light malt sweetness on the finish. I probably would have gotten more aroma from the proper glass. Very tasty with a consistant prickly carbonation throughout. (400 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a hazy gold color, with an incredibly effervescent carbonation driven thick off white head. Aromas of garden fresh vegetables, spicy yeast, cider, and blooming fields of wild-flowers, all waft from my glass. I am greeted by a refreshing, spicy, sweet first draught of this effervescent brew. It tingles on my tongue as it goes down. An incredibly smooth, well integrated brew, it just seems to want to be quaffed, which, is quite dangerous given a beer of this strength. La Fin Du Monde indeed!

Quite appropriately this is sharp and spicy at various points. I get note of hay, bergamot, hint of pepper, lemon, an herbal bite, and some vanilla. Overall it definitely has some interesting soft citrus notes as well as some appetizing acidity. This is an awesome brew from a currently great brewery, let’s hope it stays that way. (836 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

appearance:Pours a nice slightly cloudy golden yellow with a big frothy head that drops to a ring of foam that leaves slight lacing on the glass. Each drink brings more bubbles up from the class.

smell: Popping the cork brought out cidery and spicy smells. A little fruit smell was also present once I got it into the glass.

taste and mouthfeel: Smooth and some sweetness from malts. Moderately high carbonation gives it a little bite on the finish, along with alcoholic warmth. Has a spicy taste with a light bitterness.

notes: Not near as much yeast and fruit flavor as I was expecting from this beer. Nice with alot of flavors that need to thought about to really pick out of the beer. Good, but probably not my favorite style of beer to begin with. (764 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Bottle: Poured a golden beer with a huge bubbly head with average retention. Aroma is a mix between something sweet which might be candi sugar and wheat. Taste is very refreshing with again a nice mix of candi sugar, wheat and something a bit spicier, which I cannot identify. Body if medium with great carbonation. I truly love this beer even after more then ten years of drinking it. Must be commanded just for helping discovered the fabulous world of beer. (459 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

First, let me explain that I am an Englishman living in Maine (im a student). I've found it near impossible to get a good beer round here, despite the claims of many microbrews.

La Fin du Monde pours wonderfully, a big lively head that bubbles away, but yet the beer itself is perfectly carbonated naturally. 5 minutes out of the fridge and this beer was as smooth as silk on the tongue with a lush caramel hint with the tang of hops coming through. This beer just smells and tastes like a Beligian Ale should, the sweetness really comes home. At 9% I was expecting a kick/harshness; there was none.

This is a real sipping beer, not one to be knocked back. The taste stays strong and smooth, and this is after the bottle has been opened and out for close to 2 hours. A real beer to savor over the course of an evening, and one I shall be getting again.

Allagash take note, this is how it should be done. (912 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

It felt like I had to wait until "la fin du monde" (end of the world) for the head to subside. Poured very cloudy for a Belgian Ale, but I was quickly taken by the plethora of hops that were readily apparent. Unfortunately having a minor head cold did not help the cause. The triple fermentation seemed to reduce any hard after tastes that are usual for high ABV ales. Overall; quite impressed. Unibroue has done "la Belle Province" proud. (439 characters)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue