La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,859 | Hads: 9,464
4.43/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have always loved this beer. Has been around before there were micro-brews. Nice abbey style triple ale. Light, and a has a little alcohol smell. Better than most high end Belgium beers. Cannot go wrong with anything from this brewery. Look is straw colored, nice head, can smell the yeast, taste is smooth with citrus notes.

4.57/5  rDev +6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I always get this at my favorite sushi restaurant. It pars very well. This is my fiancés favorite beer. While it's not my favorite though it is certainly up there.
L: hazy golden straw and looks very carbonated. Poured a nice white cream colored head that lasted a while.
S: banana clove Belgian yeasts
T: awesome ! Really well carbonated . Nice banana and clove from the yeast. Little fruit notes, it don't really love the fruity notes however. Extremely smooth and crisp at the end.
Nothing bad to say about this beer. It's just really good. Good job Canada, thought this was from Belgium!

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This was poured into a chalice.
The appearance was a moderately hazy golden orange color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated within less than about a minute. Lacing seemed to spider web nicely.
The smell had Belgian yeast coming across in a slight bready sweetness and spice. Banana, iced apples, a little bit of cherries and a light dose of pears make a nice sweet combination in this one.
The taste took the sweetness of the Belgian yeast and re-branded itself into the flavor as somewhat spicy allowing the previously mentioned fruits to overcome and be the force in the flavor. There's a nice subtle sweet aftertaste of the fruits with a little bit of spice.
The mouthfeel had a medium body with a fair sessionability about it. Carbonation seems to hit right as I get enough harshness on my tongue but nothing detracting from the flavor.
Overall, hey hey hey, bombs away, a stellar tripel not from Belgium, but of course I'd love another. Now cue R.E.M.'s "its the end of the world" as we know while I go and drink another because if Fat Albert found out about this one, Unibroue might have to up their tank production of this one.

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A beautiful beer! A cloudy golden yellow pour from a bottle into a snifter. Thick, creamy head with nice delicate lacing. Very pleasant pungent smell. Very nice taste of apples and pears and sweet spices, a bit of caramel. O Canada!

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into my La Chouffe glass.
A - Pours an opaque golden orange color with 2 fingers of foamy head.
S - Aroma is Belgian yeast and a little banana.
T - Flavor follows the nose with a little bite of pepper..
M - Mouth feel is dry, crisp and quite carbonated.
O - This is one of my favorite Belgian style beers, and certainly my favorite Tripel that's not from Belgium.

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Hazy light golden brew with a big foam that fades quickly. Smells like banana bread and cloves, delicious. Taste is banana, clove, roasted marshmallow, bubblegum, it's very good. Mouthfeel is medium but it's very brightly carbed so it seems lighter than it is. Overall I can't say much more except that this is a very tasty well done beer par for the style IMO.

Enjoyed on tap during Old Chicago's 2015 Halloween mini tour

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Light orange tint filled with a full 1 1/2 inches creamy white head.

Aroma: The fruit and spices (especially) jump out of the glass for such a high ABV brew.

Flavor: Full of pepper with apricots and lighter fruits throughout, almost a green apple hidden in there.

Mouthfeel: Sweet and smooth all the way through, leaves a slight tingling sensation. This is nothing like the devastating mouthfeel of most american tripels that I am used to.

Overall: I can understand the insistence of picking this up as a starter to heavier belgian styles that is widely available. I am not quite sure this is the benchmark on anything and everything a Belgian tripel should be, I will do more research and report back.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From bottle, Pours hazy sun yellow with big fluffy white head. Aromas of cereals, banana, spices. Taste apricot, bubblegum, pear, apple and spice. The alcohol is very well hidden, very good.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Rich cloudy golden sun, full of ascending bubbles. A ginger of fluffy white head sits and stays on top. A ray of sunshine.

Nose takes a minute to figure out. Really beautiful fruity and spicy yeast character, aside a buttery, apricot fruit. Promises of good things to come.

Banana, apricot, clove, even peppery with a nicely sharp tart yeast hit in the middle. Buttery character is there tying it all in. plenty of warming in the back. Nice and smooth, fuzzy fizzy carbonation dances all over.

Classic, complex, rich, balanced. Everything you want in triple - fruit, yeast and spice in perfect harmony.

4.86/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I enjoy beers, and follow this site to determine which new beers to try. I generally do not like "fruity" beers.

This beer has a very obvious apricot taste. It is also very sweet.

Can't say that I have ever had a tripel before, but what I can say, is the only reason this beer does not receive a 5 in all categories is that the apricot taste remains with me all night no matter what beers I drink.

This is an absolute must try beer, and deserves every mark that it gets.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hazy light orange color with huge white head. Dry Belgian yeast and apricot most prevalent on the nose. Medium bodied, slightly creamy mouthfeel with strong carbonation. Smooth and sweet tasting with some peppery bite in the middle, a touch of warming alcohol and peach-and-pear juice on the backend. A great beer.

4.09/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Like all Unibroue beers, this one is highly carbonated, almost champagne-like. It is not an all occasion beer, at 9.0 ABV, but when it's right it's right. The packaging is impressive, I enjoy giving this as gifts, and it's got a certain undeniable something. I wanted to love this beer, but have to admit that while it is very good I do not know if I consider it a world-class beer. I am willing to assume that I am un-worldly. But I know what I like and there are many beers that I prefer. Each time I go back to it expecting to be surprised, I remember that it has let me down before. Your mileage may vary, and I honestly hope it does. I respect this beer, but I do not love it.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I love this beer. La Fin Du Monde pours a golden yellow colour and bright white heads, just as you would expect with a quality tripel. The aromas that fill your nose and flavors that make your mouth sing make this one of my favorite go to beers. As the back label claims, this is truly a "liquid gold". Try it... you know you want to.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I am not really sure what to say that hasn't already been said about this beer. I read the 2014 Brewer's association guidlines for Belgian Tripels. I am pretty sure this is the beer they used as reference. This is the Tripel that all other Tripel's should be judged against. Good luck to those poor bastards.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An excellent triple, slightly different than the classic Belgian version. For a high ABV, the alcohol does not overpower. Full of flavor, a must have.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

I have never ventured into this style before, and this wont stop me from trying others and possibly giving this another go, but I wasn't a big fan of this one. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Maybe I wasn't ready for the yeast but this sure packs a ont of it in. Will give a try again in the future along with other tripels though

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L: Poured from the 750 mL into a tulip, pours a burnt orange color with an extremely fluffy cream white head, about 2 fingers worth of foam.

S: Typical Belgian funk, some malt and biscuit with some dried fruits in there for good measure

T: Absolutely Phenomenal, begins with the typical semi-sweet malt, but it feels lighter and hits more across the palate, fades into a bit of hop/citrus, even kind of a witbier-like taste as well, and finally finishes with a nice peppery dryness

F: Its a bottle-conditioned ale, so expect a medium body with a high amount carbonation

O: All I can say is I have not heard a peep about this beer other than reading some review for another Belgian, so I got it on a whim because it was on sale. "Holy S**t" were the first words uttered after the first sip, this beer is amazing and needs to be hyped up because it is more than worthy of the praise. Probably the premiere example of the style as well.

This pop top champagne style beer radiates class. It has an extremely distinct taste and extremely flavorful. It is a beautiful golden color with a subtle alcoholic bite at the end of a sip.

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Excellent triple golden ale. I really appreciate the character of this beer being so different from an Belgium style triple. This beer is lighter but still full of flavor.

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer pours a slightly hazy(once you pour in the yeast, yum) deep yellow with a copious head. The aroma is classic - overripe banana leads the way, followed by clove, and rounded out by the always unusual bubblegum. The flavor leads with a sweet bubblegum, followed by a wheat like flavor, with a spicy clove and cinnamon finish. This is a beast of a beer. I love Tripels, and this is a magnificent example of the style. What else can you say about a modern classic.

For a long time this was my all time favorite beer. That was when I almost exclusively drank Belgian beer and Stouts. Although it has fallen from my top spot I still have to say it is my favorite Belgian style beer and in my top ten. The mouth feel, the gentle sweetness, the smell and color all do it for me and I remember the first time pulling the glass away from my lips and me saying "this is the BEST beer I have ever had!" But I digress, I love you Fin Du Monde and I'm happy to say it bolstered a few points for Canada in my book.

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Now this was some damn good beer!! When I saw 9%, I thought that it would've hit me hard when I tasted it. But instead, it was quite smooth. It smelled good, looked great, and tasted great. Definitely a beer I would recommend trying if you can. The bartender recommended this, and I had thought that maybe he was just trying to push this because it was one of their newer products, but I was very very glad that I took his recommendation.

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a nice cloudy yellow. Nose is fairly mild- that nice Belgian yeastiness comes through and I also get some subtle spicy and fruity notes. The taste is where this beer really shines. At 9% ABV, I was expecting something complex and interesting but hard to get down. This beer is extremely well-balanced and drinkable. You could tell me I was drinking a 6% abv-er and I'd believe you- it's that smooth. It has almost white wine-like qualities. I get apple, pear, clove, and some breadiness. There is almost no bitterness and the alcohol is present only in the nice warming feeling as you get farther into the pint. Nice full mouthfeel.

This really is a world class beer. An instant favorite and one I'd seek out again. At 9% ABV, it is complex and hard-hitting but has absolutely zero off-putting qualities. White wine meets a better version of Delirium Tremens.

4.59/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a cloudy yellow with a thick rocky head. About 3 inches of head out of a bomber bottle. Has the classic sweet triple smell to it. Wow that's amazing. It has a very light awesome taste to it. Again it's light. It takes a minute to develop the flavor on your tounge. This is the lightest 9% beer I've ever had. So smooth. Can't taste the alcohol at all. It is fully developed and we'll aged. Just done right beer. Amazing. Leaves lots of lacing down the glass. If you find this, buy this. I found a bomber for 10 bucks. It's worth it.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: Absolutely stunning bright hazy yellow color with a two finger fluffy white head

Smell: bready yeast, fruity esters, cloves, slightly peppery; Balanced and complex

Taste: Cloves upfront with candied sweetness and fruity esters midpalate, and a bready yeast finish

Mouthfeel: Medim bodied; Smooth as hell for 9%abv. Crisp and well carbonated

Overall: I am typically not a belgian fan, but between this and trois pistoles, Unibroue has turned me on to them. They are very rich and complex yet clean brews. It must be the yeast strain that i favor. Or perhaps that the sweetness balances very well with the yeast. I will be coming back to them when i want a belgian style beer

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue