La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,859 | Hads: 9,465
2.75/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Man, just not my thing. I heard great things about the beer, but I just don't like the taste. I've got friends that love it and drink it all the time. Not me.

3.52/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I will confess that I like -- but do not love -- Tripels, but enjoyed this offering from Canada. Very yeasty, and quite smooth for a high-octane brew.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A fantastic Belgian pale. The active effervescence adds to a great feel. At 9% I'm wondering if there's booze in there. Hidden beautifully. Yeasty banana bread and clove.

4.69/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On point in every way, full disclosure I haven't been to Belgium but this is as solid an expression of the style I've experienced. Those Canucks have nailed it.

First sip with Guillermo and Bob at deli in DTLA during Artwalk summer 2011. Buy at Trader Joes $7.50 for bomber or Total Wine $9.99 four small bottles.

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

a: Foamy eggshell colored head. Slightly hazy golden pale body. Nothing obvious in looks but it has a shimmer that suggests promise.

s: Smells like a French Christmas cookie. Sweet citrus, like a Cara Cara, cloves, slight toasted flour and finishing with a hint of a Honey Ricola but fresh, like when your saliva firsts hits it and all those sapient molecules open up into a bouquet.

t: Again...like a pain d'epice cookie...dry graininess like rye, peppery spiciness like clove and nutmeg, slight alcohol feels like mild fresh ginger...sweet citrus. Moves into a slight bitterness from the hops...dry finish but not lingering. No real aftertaste. Leaves you ready for the next sip.

mf: Smooth and sexy. The right amount of carbonation and a little bit of sappy stickiness.

o: This tastes like a hot toddy cooked down and chilled. A beautiful beer for the winter or Christmas holiday but not so obvious it can't be had all year.

4.62/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving Type: 750 mL Corked Bottle

A- Beautiful light Golden Apricot colour with a 1 1/2 finger soapy white head that literally doesn't move an inch. Incredible retention and a glass fully covered with silky lacing.

S- Bready and yeasty with light hints of slight sweet citrus.

T- Biscuit, yeasty flavours, and light touches of citrus and cloves. Beautiful and perfectly balanced. Nothing really sticks out as dominate, it just all flows together.

M- Silky smooth with a foamy, bubbly body, although there isn't much carbonation to be found. Easily drinkable but a hard hitting body that lays quite heavy in the stomach. Wouldn't be able to have much more than a 750 mL bottle, although I'm not sure why you would want to have more!

O- Thanks to you guys/gals here on Beer Advocate, I decided to go for a beer that I passed by without taking a second look every time I was at the Liquor store. I'm thankful that I finally picked it up! Top notch, word class beer that is easily the best example of the style that I've had.

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%

I love this beer. The bar that I frequent for six packs usually carries La Fin Du Monde and 9/10 times I pick up a six pack, I get one of these. If you've never had one, do yourself a favor and try one. It's got a smooth taste with hints of citrus and a tiny bit of clove. It's light and drinkable but I find it to be heavy on the stomach.

4.22/5  rDev -2.1%

I ended up just smelling this beer over and over once it hit its stride and opened up. Amazing. Just swirled it around and stuck my nose in deep into my snifter and teased my lips several times without taking a sip. Yeah this beer brought out the giddy junior high foreplay in me I thought was long gone. True Quebecois flirtatious romance.

4.29/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter (BB 02-05-17 B05140903QFL)

A: Nice golden straw hue with a nice frothy head that leaves nice swaths of lacing.
S: Yeasty, earthen, and biscuit-y.
T: Not very sweet, just nice balanced flavors much like the nose. Earthy, yeasty, some nice esters and a cracker finish.
M: Smooth and foamy.
O: Deliciously strong and flavorful. A damn good tripel, that has smoothed down a bit with age.

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into snifter, with a thick head. The color is a gold with a slight red to it. Smells like wheat and apple on the nose. Taste is smooth with some bitterness towards the end. This is an amazing beer.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

One sip of this and I'm back in some medieval cloister with torches on the stone walls and evensong through the window. A head you have to see to believe.

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into tulip. Two plus fingers of off-white head that slowly collapses to a ring and a few small foamy islands. Pale apricot gold color that is hazy. Bubbles rise single file - cool to watch. Aroma is apple/pear cider, doughy yeast, clove, alcohol. Clove flavor up front then malty sweetness followed by drying alcohol. More hints of cider. A touch of hop bitterness in the finish. Medium bodied, creamy texture, lively carbonation, drying finish.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Heard many great things about this one, so I had to give it a try. First impression of this beer was the strong scent of coriander, which turned me off a bit since I am not much of a fan of coriander in beer. As I poured, an impressive three to four inch head of foam developed, the most I've seen from a beer. As I continued to drink, I realized more and more that there really wasn't any faults I could find to this beer. It was very enjoyable.

One of the first things that came to mind was how this beer would serve very well as a table beer, paired with seafood such as crab or scallops. I bet many non-beer drinkers could appreciate this one as well.

Would recommend if you've got the deep pockets for this one.

3.84/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L (3.75) - This beer is a nice cloudy yellow color. HUGE head on top. Too much, really.

S (4) - The smell is sometimes cloves, sometimes metallic, sometimes just that light malt smell.

T (3.75) - My first sip was disappointing. Just not there. As I drank more, I get the grain taste, along with a bit metallic tastes. A little alcohol taste at the end.

F (4) - mouthfeel is okay. Nice carb, but a little dry.

O (3.75) - This beer was alright. Not especially flavorful, or anything of note. I feel if it was produced by a less prestigious brewery, people would rank it lower. I also am not going to get overly excited for "High ABV." High ABV is fine, but it doesn't make a mediocre beer good.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Wow! This is a world class, tasty brew. After a large crab dinner, wine just couldn't refresh. Fortunately I found this tripel at total wine this afternoon. Beautiful, white foamy head, spices that tease the palate and a smooth, creamy mouth-feel. All that and I didn't notice the 9% ABV. A Belgian triple that's brewed in Quebec. I will definitely get this again.

This brewery crafts some of the best beers on the planet...however, I can't help thinking, ever time I purchase, drink some, or discuss it, of my third Grade teacher Mrs. Dragon ( no kidding ) who left her eyebrow(s ?) to grow as wild and unfettered as the most enormous English hedgerows. Unibroue change your name and not to Bacc Herre Brauerei.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

I've had this beer many, many times so this review is from memory (shared a 750 last night). I always serve chilled to well chilled, pours golden/ light orange with a billowy head that disappears within a few minutes. smell is fruity, spicy, slightly herbal. Taste has a wide range of flavors that seem to show out at different times, banana/ clove, sweet almost caramel malt flavors, some how dry and effervescent yet with a smooth creamy finish all at once. great for a toast, nice to sip (or guzzle) with food, just watch out for the 9% abv 'cause you cant tell it's there.

4.49/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle poured into a branded La Fin Du Monde chalice.

A: Golden/Amber color with some haze. Bone white head is comprised of fine bubbles. Great retention. Wispy patches of lacing.

S: Fragrant floral and fruity aromas of sliced pear and apple blossom. Apricot too perhaps, and golden raisin. Vague herbal undercurrent. Yeasty. Peppery phenols. Toasted biscuit.

T : A melange of tropical fruits up front. Mandarin orange, apricot, orange marmalade. Sliced pear and apple blossom too. Dash of confectioner's sugar sweetness. This is all balanced by mildly bitter grassy and herbal flavors and alcohol. Toasty, biscuity malt base. Peppery and slightly medicinal phenols. Powdery yeast throughout. Finish is doughy and herbal.

M: Medium-thick body. Full, round, and creamy-soft. Fine carbonation scrubs firmly but gently. Awesome texture, very well structured.

O: As close to perfection as it gets. Bar none one of the most well-structured and well-balanced brews out there. Its potency commands respect, and when sipped slowly and contemplated it offers a most memorable and rewarding experience. A must-drink for any enthusiast of Belgian-style beers.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

Hazy orange. Small white head. Smell is fantastic; belgian yeast esters throwing out sweet banana aromas, maybe some funky apple and a hint of orange. This tastes sweet, banana like and just a hint of booze. Highly carbonated, and a warming sensation from the alcohol. This is an outstanding tripel.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Best before date of March 14th 2016.

Poured a murky, light golden color with a 1-2 inch white head. Nice lacing.

Aroma is light and citrusy with some malt and fruit notes. I notice some grapefruit smells along with crackers.

A hoppy, fruity taste at the front is followed by stronger malty, biscuity flavors. Slight bitterness but nothing overwhelming. Has a medium-bodied mouthfeel with a decent amount of carbonation.

Overall this is a great beer that definitely hides its 9% alcohol. It really is quite refreshing for a heavier beer, almost like a lager or pilsner, but it has way more flavor than most beers in those categories.

4.44/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A - poured a translucent haze of gold with almost two fingers of large bubbled fizzy white head. Head dissipated somewhat quick to leave little bit of a collar. Good amount of legs, no lacing.

S - aroma is very yeast forward with a nice peppery bouquet of Esther's with lots of fruit notes, mostly banana with some apple. Slight medicinally and sweet. Not too much alcohol but is present.

T - taste is just amazing, for a triple it is really sweet opposite of the supper attenuated versions I'm used to, not a bad thing... Tastes sort of like an imperial Saison without all the dryness I expected. Lots of fruity notes, mostly banana throughout. Ends in a nice quenching bitter, can't stop going back for more.

M - surprisingly crushable for the abv, this does not want me to sip it, I should have poured it in a pint glass... Drinks like a refreshing Saison or the like.

O - I think this is great, it is different from what I would expect in a triple, being hazy and more on the sweet side, but that by no means takes away from how great this is. It has a great complex fruity Belgian yeast character and is very refreshing. I had this first probably 9 or so years ago when I first started getting into craft, and didn't like it then.... Now this has got to be one if not my favorite triples.

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had this in a bottle and really enjoyed it. I've been getting more into Belgians lately, and this Tripel was a strong representative of the style. Great balance and very well crafted. It's dangerous because it's 9% ABV but you don't feel the alcohol, so be careful! But do make sure you try this if you find it anywhere, because it's well worth it.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

This is actually my second Belgian style beer I have ever had, so unfortunately I cannot really compare it to anything.

It's golden-orange with a white wispy head. It smells like champagne. Some funky, banana, and clove in the taste, all nicely balanced. This beer is chewy with fine dense carbonation.

Overall, I liked the MadElf (my first ever full Belgian style beer) better, but I can imagine why this is rated higher. It is well-made and well-balanced. I have opened up a whole new beer chapter.

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

"The end of the world"

Pure gold color, almost cloudy. The elegant white head dies fast. Weak legs and no visible activity.

Sweet and nicely strong floral aromas with grain and spices. Pleasant smell of malty caramel. A very sweet smell compared to the bitter taste.

Perfectly fresh yet powerful taste of bitter spices. Great taste of malty fruity citrus, almost resinous. A strange feeling of caramel that is probably maple sirup.
It's a warming and delicious feeling. A slick medium body with a drying end and a champagne like effect.

La Fin du Monde is "Quebec's pure gold", probably a reference to its secret ingredient = Maple sirup = Quebec's "gold". This is just a theory and an opinion from someone who eat Maple sirup every weeks of the year. One of my favorite tripel being extremely well crafted, balanced, exquisite taste and freshness; this is the only beer you'll ever need living through the end of the world!

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue