La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
3.77/5  rDev -12.5%

this was a very aromatic beer from the start. nice head and fruity/spicey (cloves maybe ginger) smell as well as after taste. delightfully bitter and pretty strong as well. a nice color kinda cloudy but rich in color. i would say the mouth feel is very lively .a well firmented brew. drinkability is kind of slow after the 2cd one. but still over all very good . i really enjoyed this beer. i also enjoyed its sister.. maudite (pardon if misspelled). but thats another review.

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

I was referred to this beer by a good friend who said it was right up my alley, which is most deffinately was. La Fin Du Monde deffinately has aromas and flavors I haven't tasted in most beers. I'm not the most educated beer advocate although this beer is a must try as well as other Unibroue beers.

4.02/5  rDev -6.7%

Initial appearance of a cloudy golden ale with initial head that quickly disappears to a thin coat on top.
Primary aroma of fruits and some herbal/spicy scents that follow. You can also smell the yeast quite quickly.
The taste also compliments the aroma. You get a healthy taste of yeast with a fruity overlay of both apples and bananas. Although it is 9%, this seems to be well hidden by the fruity and spicy notes.
It has a reasonably crisp feeling in your mouth and is light bodied overall. Generally, I feel this is a good beer but a bit too much fruit for my palate.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

330ml bottle bought from Beers of Europe...

This one gushed out of the bottle when opened... poured a hazy golden orange colour. Creamy head poured big and foamy with a meringue like topping which then faded to light wispy covering. Decent amount of carbonation bubbles drift to the surface.. very little lacing..

Aroma - Spicy Belgian yeastiness, strong slightly tropical fruits (pineapples, oranges, some strawberries, limes), peppery, some vanilla notes, freshly cut grass, marzipan, floral honey, sea salt notes...

Taste - Nice biscuity malts and Belgian yeast, good fruitiness (apples, oranges, some pears, light pineapples), good pepperiness, alcohol is just noticeable, honey / sugary sweetness, decent amount of anise, medicinal, fresh bread, some almond traces...

Feel - Pretty sharp and dry... light bodied... dangerously drinkable for a 9% brew...

Overall - An excellent Tripel and almost up with the best of the Belgians... recommended...

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%

Wow, I loved this beer. Drinking it reminded me of Christmas. You can definitely taste the coriander, which really gives it a spicy almost nutmeg on eggnog flavor. Wonderful smell and beautiful color. I really loved this beer and plan on having much more of it in the future.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Served at 55 degrees. Bottled on January 16th, 2006. Just over 2 and a half years ago. 750ml bottle.

A: Pours a beautiful golden color into a chalice. Very little head but a decent amount of bubbles rush to the top. Typical of an old bottle. A swirl shows how much the liquid holds on to the glass. Just like harder alcohol.

S: The usual spice character is pretty much all gone, only traces of it remain. The dominant smell is pear. Faint alcohol smell. Very enticing.

T: Again, the clovey character is almost totally gone. The taste is very subtle. Pears dominate. Very smooth sweetness. A delight but possibly a tad past its prime.

M: A bit oiley, very very smooth. Carbonation is just right, a bit weaker than with a fresh bottle.

D: I shared this bottle with a friend and we were quite content having a glass each. Don't get me wrong, this was a very enjoyable beer but the sweetness of the pear taste kinda outgrew us.

Overall, old Unibroue bottles are great. That's the second time I had a chance to have one (the other was Trois-pistoles) and both blew away the fresh ones. I tend to find their usual spiciness a bit overpowering and this fades away as they age.

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

The BA Top 100 quest continues with a huge 750ml of 9% La Fin Du Monde. I think they meant the edge of the world instead of the end of the world. Or I'm just an idiot. Actually had to 'pop' the cork...

Spout looks pretty clear/light yellow but pours a perfect Hawiian sunset golden orange (trying to be more descriptive). Big lumpy head of mush.

Smell is all fruit. Oranges, bananas, exotic ones my puny brain can't fathom and underlying common scent of 'beer.'

Tart fruit taste. Quite similar to a mimosa actually. Some clove flavors. Light bananas. Can't have clove without banana.

Feels just a hair harsher than it needs to be, but I really think this orange juice beer is toast.

Overall: middle of the road for me, good but wouldn't seek it out.

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

Smells floral at first, then hoppy. Great mouthfeel with natural carbonation just right. Very smooth drinking yet you can taste the higher alcoholic content. Had this at Walt Disney World - Epcot Canadian Pavillion and then had to buy some locally. Very good overall experience.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Got this from Green's in Atlanta.

Pours a dark yellowish-orange color with a fluffy three-finger head that dissipates into a thick layer of bubbles on top and a thick ring around the glass. Lacing is pretty sticky.

Smells pretty good. Lots of light fruit - bananas with some citrus notes - and some spiciness.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Very sweet up front with a spiciness at the end and a light fruit aftertaste that lingers. There's definitely some alcohol warming at the end as well.

Mouthfeel is great. The thickness is spot on, and the carbonation makes the beer explode. It coats the mouth and then disappears, leaving me wanting another sip. Really great.

Drinkability is very good. It's hard to taste the alcohol outside of the warming, so it's slightly dangerous, in a good way.

Overall I'm glad I finally bought the beer that's been staring me in the face for so long. As good as any Trappist tripel and better than some.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

A Canadian Belgian?!

I was pleasantly surprised by this brew which was purchased at By the Bottle in Vancouver, WA.

It pours a beautiful golden color with a nice, fluffy white head. Nose is a bit faint but nice and fruity. Flavor is complex and quit awesome. Full flavors are balanced, yeasty, creamy, banana and spicy as well. Overall this is one to try again and you don't have to break the bank.

Prost!

4.54/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a cloudy golden/straw color with a rather large fluffy white head that sticks around for a while. Lots of carbonation here, I almost overflowed my glass. Aromas of bubble gum, fruity esters, spicy yeast, oh my this smells great! Taste is spicy, peppery but not over the top. A bit of alcohol lingers in the finish. Full body, prickly carbonation, almost creamy mouthfeel. Great brew! This was one of the first Belgian inspired beers that I tried oh so many years ago, I can't believe I'm just getting around to reviewing it now.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Poured a hazy golden color with a big white head that leaves lacing

S - Is of yeast fruit and some spice

T - All the flavors come together nicely in your mouth fruity yeasty spice all very nice

M - This beer has a full body with high carbonation to it

D - This is one of those beer that I could drink way too fast its very easy to drink with a very good taste worth trying

4.74/5  rDev +10%

nother tripel from my trip to Lucky 13 in San Fran, this time in a bottle. Poured a hazy golden color with a thick two finger head and great lacing.

Smells of yeast, green apples, clove, and pear hit my nostrils. This is gonna be good.

On the palate its heavy green apple and pears along with yeast and spice. Spec-frickin-tacular. Finish is a nice combo of sweet malt and tart fruit with a good sting from the carbonation.

This is probably one of my favorite beers of all time. Without a doubt the best triple I've tried so far.

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

I absolutley love this bier and was very suprised to find that I had never posted a review. Pours out a murky, golden, light amber color. poured into a Duvel tulip, produces a gorgeous three finger head.
A glassfull of apricots, oranges, peaches, backed by a yeasty-clove like spicyness. Light crisp tones of wheats and hay add to the complexity. A slight alochol note is detected, becomes more apparent as beer warms.
Flavors are a phenominal explosion of sweet fruits, spicy yeasts, thick, slighly sweet, with a nice long lingering alcohol finish. Orange,grapefruit, pears, apricots, with a great balance of alcoholic spiciness. Finishes a little sweet, but really good nonetheless.
This bier, as with every Unibroue brew is immensely flavorful, and exceptionaly balanced.
It is called a Tripel on BA, but I would call this one a BSPA.This is a world-class BSPA that is fairly easily accessable. Drink this one if you are just getting into Tripels, then drink De Dolle Du Teve when you are ready.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured out of a bottle created a head so big I only got 3/4 of the bottle. The head died down to a solid finger that stayed throughout the rest of the glass. The color is a very attractive cloudy dark maize.

Very complex and smooth aroma, with an alcoholic warmth to finish.

Taste is fantastic. Very complex fruity flavor up front with clove and spice on the back end and I can't taste the alcohol, which is quite impressive for its 9% abv.

Mouthfeel is also fantastic, it is very thick, rich, and dare say creamy. It goes down exceptionally smoothly and leaves your mouth watering for the next sip.

Overall drinkability is also fantastic. With the ratings so high for everything else, how could drinkability be any less?

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

It's the end of the world as we know it... I just had to review the beer in my (current) avatar for my 100th review. Tripel isn't one of my favorite styles, but I absolutely love LFDM. I'll try to be objective here.

A: A painfully slow pour from a foil-wrapped 12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip yields 3+ fingers of frothy head that crests the lip, but does not overflow. After a minute or two, the head has receded to a ring leaving fat chunks of sticky lace on the glass. A hazy golden glow eminates from the glass, begging me to drink.

S: Notes of peach and apricot are most obvious up front. Lurking in the background is possibly a bit of honey and a mild spiciness.

T: Fruity flavors are most obvious up front, with notes of golden raisins and a bit of banana from the Belgian yeast. There's also some mild toast flavors. The finish shows just a hint of hop bite with a nutty aftertaste.

M: Rich and full bodied. The only knock is that a bit more effervescence would be appreciated. Maybe I should have been even MORE careful on the pour!

D: Like I said up front, this is one of my favorites! I could sip this one all night, but it is definitely a sipper.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

I have a fridge full of this beer... my favorite so far. Tastes so good... lots of hops, citrus, yiest, amazing! High alcohol content sure hits you after a couple of Fin Du Monde's and when you serve it properly it retains a beautiful 1 inch head the whole time.

Recommended...hell... if you see it buy a case or two.

If you like this beer also try Unibroue's Don de Dieu

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

12 oz bottle in tulip glass

A - Cloudy, golden yellow. Thick creamy head with good retention.

S - Lovely yeast, citrus and spice.

T - Very well balanced with sweets, some fruit, alcohol. Nicely complex at the same time.

M - Smooth, warming alcohol.

D - Excellent! Ranks up there with some of the best Belgiums.

Drink by date is 04-03-11

3.91/5  rDev -9.3%

I originally sampled this beer almost 4 years ago and didn't like it. I felt the need to re-visit it, especially since I have now sampled many more beers including Tripels. Pours a somewhat cloudy, thick, blonde color. Nice sized head that does fizzle down a bit. Strong aroma consisting of citrus bananas, cloves, vanilla and an overall strong alcohol presence. There's a lot there. The mouthfeel is pretty full although something seems a bit off with a tangy, somewhat sour, very yeasty, citrus (oranges and bananas) flavor. There is an alcohol rush in there so you know it's 9%. I've had other Tripels recently that are better, Karmeliet and Chimay Cinq Cents come to mind, but this is a better beer than I original though. 4 years ago I had said -- La Fin Du Monde does mean "End of the World" which is what's going to have to happen for me to ever try this crap again! Haha, Ok, so I lied. Just nearly 4 years.

3.69/5  rDev -14.4%

Cloudy appearance. Moderate carbonation, and head. Head retention is unremarkable, leaving a bit of lace.

Smells great. Yeasty, malty, fruity - especially mango and citrus. Subdued hops.

Tastes of fruit wine. Slight maltiness, little hops. Has a definite solvent/phenolic alcohol flavour, lots of esters and a noticeable bready-yeastiness. Noticeable fusels as well. Finishes with a faint spice - cloves, maybe, with a little citrus, banana and some malt. Very little hops there in the background.

Solid, thick mouthfeel. Perfect amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is limited due to the high alcohol content. This is more a sipping beer than anything else. Everything about this beer is big, and I can't see having more than one or two in a single sitting.

4.18/5  rDev -3%

This is actually one of the first craft beer I ever had.

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a half finger of white head. Good head retention. Spotty lacing.

S: Very yeasty and bready. Sweetness behind it all. Hints of fruit throughout.

T: Has that nice tripel sweetness up front. Very crisp though. The fruit begins to come in after a while. Very bready and malty throughout. Sort of weird for the style but it works.

M: Very crisp. Dry finish. Very nice.

D: I cut my teeth on this so it does hold a special place in my heart. Now that I am grizzled I enjoy it more. I remember it tasting rough at time but now it is smooth thanks to me killing my palate.

Man, this is some good beer. I picked up a four pack that 'expires' two years from now. It pours a very cloudy and dark blonde with a moderate head that disappears rather quickly. It left some lacing that looks nice on the glass. Smells and tastes fruity sweet with mild spice. It feels light in the mouth and a little bubbly. It goes down dangerously smooth and the flavor lingers for quite some time. I can't imagine myself enjoying a beer much more than I enjoyed this one. I had planned on drinking one but it was so damn good that I drank three, then fell into a wonderful comatose sleep. I will be buying more of this.

4.57/5  rDev +6%

750ml bottle best by 11-15-10

A - Pours a cloudy lemon color with nice white head that does fade but sheets the glass nicely...

S - Smells like sweet raisins and possibly figs with a alcohol warmth on the back.

T - Wow, like smooth bubble gum fruit flavors balanced with ABV bite and a little bread. Very clean and makes my mouth water wanting more.

M - Very nice body and carbonation tickle. Outstanding.

D - Yesterday Maudite, today this, I live like a KING!

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

The beer is poured with a bronze colour and a decent inch head that seems to be filled with a lot of carbonation. The retention isn't very good, but that's alright for a triple. The nose on the beer is beautiful, it is fruity and loaded with complexity and spices. The most prevalent fruit is a citrus flavour. The beer tastes of citrus with some spices; what makes this beer the best is the sweet citrus flavour. The citrus flavour is mixed with some other flavours I can't pick up on. The mouthfeel is carbonated and creamy. This beer is drinkable as hell.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Appearance is cloudy and orangy with a yellowish thick head. The head faded fairly quick, but left nice rings around my tulip glass.

On the nose I get a sweet citrus aroma, almost tangerine-like, as well as spicy undertones, the kinds of spices you'd taste during the holiday season.

The flavor is definitely citrusy and Champagne like with an aftertaste of bread pudding with a bit of cloves.

The alcohol is there and you feel it, but it is not unpleasant; I would say it is beautifully disguised.

This ranks up there with some of my favorite trippel style beers.

Note: I have had it on tap and bottle and I prefer tap by a long shot (personal preference).

Drink up!