La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,830 | Hads: 9,306
1.12/5  rDev -74%

Appearance: Beautiful straw color. Over exuberant head.

Smell: Offensive. Very pungent and biting.

Taste: Strong perfume flavor with a hint of toilet bowl cleaner.

Mouthfeel: Overwhelming. It was very difficult to drink this beer. It has way too much carbonation.

Overall: I was extremely disappointed with this beer, but finished the glass, b/c a bad beer isn't the end of the world. (391 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -66.6%

Poured into a snifter, heightening the perfume-like spice aromas, which I am not a fan of. It pours a nice cap of head with a beautiful golden glow and such wonderful texture. Unfortunately, this was the only part i found appealing about this beer. The taste is way over spiced and borders on the artificial for me. It is this observers opinion that this beer, along with the rest of the Unibroue line, are cheap imitations of noble beer styles, all with an artificial tasting backbone. I really don't understand all the acclaim this beer continues to receive, but there must be something wrong with me, as just about everyone from the uninitiated to the most seasoned beer enthusiasts seem to give it such high praise. Incredibly disappointing, each and every time i've revisited it. (784 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -60.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 1.75

I hate being the odd man out and having the unpopular opinion, but consistently throughout my entire craft beer drinking lifetime, this brew has always tasted metallic to me. (174 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -59.9%

I dispense with my ordinary long disclaimer, discussion of methodology, preamble, and anecdote.

This beer is undrinkable. It tastes like a tarted-up wheat beer or Blue Moon. I hate wheat beer. I can't judge this according to style - sorry. I had one sip and almost spit it up. I had high expectations for this beer, and was severely disappointed. I'd rather have ten Bud Lights topped off with a Pabst than a single shot of this crap all eight days of the seven-day week.

Avoid like the plague.

To style (16E: spicing is allowed): 50/100
To taste: 6/100 (yes, you read that right, SIX) (588 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -58.9%

Either I got a bad bottle or they brew this stuff with old cigarette butts.. I took 4 sips and pored it down the drain .. maybe O should have taken it back at 8.44 a bottle (175 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -57.3%

Poured into tulip glass.

First off let me tell you I am not fond of Belgian Tripels but I keep trying different ones to see if my taste changes.

Poured a decent pale orange with a 2 finger head and lots of bubbles.

It smelled like a fruit bowl thats been sitting around for a little too long. Eh my stomach said dont do it.

I took the first sip and there it was. The taste I despise so much. It was the rotten over fermented fruit I find in all these beers. So so so unpleasant.

Along with the taste it was super thin and over carbonated and just terrible.

I gave drinkability a 2 but only because I thought if Im drunk enough I could probably gag a few down for the high ABV but I dont get drunk to much and will probably never do this. (743 characters)

Sorry, maybe I got a bad bottle. If nothing else the clove aroma and taste is something that is totally a turn off to me. I did try to finish the bottle by holding my nose, still had a strong after taste of clove. I must be the only one out of 25k reviews that couldn't drink it. I can't handle "Any" clove no matter what it's used in.

Good for all that like this beer! Was not in my realm of drinkability .

I still have a bomber left. (437 characters)

Had this beer a few times and I don't see why it's such a great beer. I've had my fair share of great beers, but La Fin Du Monde for me is an overrated beer, one that overshadows many other great Canadian beers such as Creemore Springs, which I think is a far superior tasting beer than this. Personally, I think this beer doesn't rival Unibrue's Blanche De Chambly. The taste is very fruity and it has a high alcohol content. This is one of my least favorite beers, and I don't recommend it. (492 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -52.9%

Pours out looking like a bubble bath of apple juice. Looks like a hefeweizen/champagne. Bubbles aplenty.

Aroma is a fruity sensation: apples, pears, banana creme, marshmallows, champagne.

Tastes like an unripe apple as a wine. Mouthfeel is sparkling for a split second, then dry, sweet, sharp, bitter, and yeasty. I taste apple and pear in this one. Aftertaste is dry soap and yeast.

As a hefe I probably wouldve enjoyed this one ten fold - since I'm interested in the flavors presented. It's just too dry for my taste. I see this doesnt go underappreciated, though.

I'll have to find someone to give the rest of this 4-pack to. (641 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -48.3%

Poured a cloudy opaque light brown colour with a tan head. It smelled yeasty and citrusy. The taste was strongly of cloves. There were also citrus notes and peppery hops. It was somewhat sweet and had some yeasty notes. Not as overbearing as I feared from the smell. However, the clove taste was too strong to be pleasant. It was the primary character of the beer. The actual ingredient was probably coriander, I suppose, which is frequently used to flavour trippels. However, I found its overbearing character unpleasant. It didn't form a piece of the beer's character. Rather, it was probably covering many other notes it may have had. (637 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -47.8%

Hello from a newbie.

This beer was poured from a large bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Color is a cloudy caramel gold. The mocha head was less than a finger and dissipated rapidly. No lace on the glass.

I don't know but I think I smell Musk, maybe beacause of the Canadian influence but I do smell Musk.

Taste is otherworldly. I never tasted a beer like this. It has a perfume taste to it. I don't think I like it. The aftertaste smacks of citrus and seems to linger.

Mouthfeel is not pleasant.

Overall I would not buy this beer again. It might be good on a hot humid day to quench a bout of drymouth. But for a Friday night beer I don't think so. (649 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -47.6%

Pours cloudy golden. 2 finger head that dissipated quickly but left some lacing

Smells of fermenting fruit

Tastes of fermenting fruit and sweet (way to sweet )more of a cider taste than beer for me.But definatley more flavorful than macro brew. High abv is hidden well.Slightly tinney taste. But smooth going down.

Very carbonated but in a good way.

Mouth feel is smooth flavour dissipated quickly.

Overall OK. Would not purchase again as it is not my style. I am a hop head this brew was too sweet and reminded me of fallen fruit off a tree which is fermenting. Still more interesting than macro. And the abv kept me entertained (634 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -47.1%

La fin du monde is a based upon a wonderful recipe.

But since feb 2012 bottle dates the bottle (750 ml) priming regime has resulted in a very large number of flat beers. I cannot recommend this beer to anyone, although i appreciate the fresh hop of winter batches.

Unibroue tried to reduce the gas in its product, but couldn't manage the variation which is producing a very large number of flat or very nearly flat beers. La fin du monde shoulld have some gas, enough to push the cork from the bottle. Their quality control has become pathetic, i am very sorry to say. (571 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -44.8%

Well my apologies to everyone who loves this beer. Pours yellow haze and copper. Smells like alcohol spilled on a copper pipe. Taste wise, very alcoholic, reminiscient of when your old lady fills up the bathroom with perfume and hairspray and you get it in your mouth.

Perfume, apples, clove, maybe even vanilla. And you can't get rid of it for a little while. Sometimes, I've noticed aging the beer a year or three will make it a little less harsh in exchange for additional sweetness. I'd recommend that. (508 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -44.8%

Rusty orange in color. Short lasting head with little or no lacing Okay this is my first Trippel rating. Not my favorite beer Lot's of clove flavor Recommended serving temp is 45-50 so even though I let it warm up a bit its not likely I let it was to warm. I don't have much experiance with this type of beer and its unlikely I'll be getting more any time soon. The brewer made a good clean beer...just not my speed. (416 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -44.1%

maybe it's because ive never had a tripel before, but this was a serious let down for the money. people go on and on about bananas and cloves and this and that... all i got was the impression that a heavy ale had sex with an underdone mead and this was the result. there was a slight fruitiness that was quickly overtaken by a hot alcoholy quality. it was more like drinking medicine than beer. i wont be trying this one again. (427 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -42.2%

Served in a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Cloudy orange/yellow color with about two-three finger lengths of head.

S- Has a sweet fruity scent kinda hoppy as well.

T- Very bitter. Kind of sour. Not well balanced. Very strong fruit flavoring. The alcohol is not well hidden at all.

M- Too bitter and sour. Not smooth at all.

D- Can't drink more than one. Had trouble getting the one I had down.

Overall I'm disappointed in this beer. Had heard great things about it, but I just don't like it. Not really a fan of this style. (534 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -42%

Very nice packaging is the best I can say about this brew. Having read the other reviews I had to check the bottle again to be sure we are talking about the same thing. Aroma was pleasant although not very pronounced. Carbonation was disconcerting and left the tongue tingling. Perhaps I just don't like this style but it appeared to be someones kid sister's attempt at making champagne in her Easy-Bake oven. (409 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -40.6%

This beer poured majestically with a great looking head that retained almost the whole way down the glass. It smelled like something similar to a Hoegaarden white and tasted very much like one at first. The taste soon gave way to alcohol as the beer started kicking my ass. This brew can really put some hair on your chest (ladies beware). After finishing two thirds of the glass, the alcohol taste dissipated, but it still had the aftertaste of a white beer. Maybe my view is askew because I haven't had too many beers of this style, but I just don't like it. (560 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -37.8%

Pours a straw color, nothing deep or special. A nice head, but no lacing. An odd scent, a mix of bitter and sweet, not really mixed, but neither one overpowering the other. Has a bubbly feel to it, but goes down smooth enough for a high ABV beer. Not much of a taste, rather bland, but with a bitter, high alcohol aftertaste. (325 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -37.4%

I wish I liked it more…I really really want to like it…I just don't that much. Everyone seems to rave about it. I have tried it numerous times, each time thinking it will be different, but its the same…I just don't see or taste the hype. Maybe if I travel to Canada, it would be better. (292 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Man, just not my thing. I heard great things about the beer, but I just don't like the taste. I've got friends that love it and drink it all the time. Not me. (161 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -35%

A - Poured a cloudy orange/amber with a monsterous frothy white head that lingered for a long time. Intense carbonation visible. No lacing, too bad.

S - Very weak odor. Mostly carbonation. Some flowery notes and a little banana and pear esters. No alcohol scent. Too bad the carbonation smell dominates and the undertones are so subtle.

T - At first, I thought the beer possessed a very potent metallic flavor, but after a little progress, I could barely taste it. It is a sweet beer, a slight citrus against a wheaty malt taste. Alcohol is completely hidden. None of the flavors are that amazing, and the metal just tainted my view.

M - Thin, the carbonation is a little harsh, a bit drying. Unibroue's other works I've tasted were absurdly refreshing. This one is anomalous for them. Sure the abv is absent in the taste, but its astringent nature is dessicating my poor mouth.

D - Not very good. I think I'll steer clear of La Fin du Monde in the future. It wasn't a terrible beer, but for the price and the brewery, I expected more. Its strong point is that the 9% abv is obfuscated, probably under the powerful carbonation. (1,139 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -34.8%

Appearance: Looks nice. Golden in color with a huge frothy white head. Slight amount of lacing, nothing spectacular.

Smell: Smells strongly of yeast and a slight hint of citrus.

Taste: The yeast is overpowering, just like any other unfiltered "ale on lees" beer I've had thus far. Just when I think I can taste citrus, the yeast takes over. I can't help but get the same overwhelming taste out of all of these. There is a warming alcohol taste at the very end, but no too overpowering... probably the best thing about this beer.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated.

I'm really not sure how people can drink these types of yeasty beers regularly. (642 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -34.8%

Appearance: Cloudy, golden, long lasting & thick head. Very little lacing.

Smell: Alcohol, banana, bubblegum

Taste: Heavy alcohol flavor, enough that it overshadows everything else. Light taste of caramel.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly creamy, carbonation is not too heavy.

Overall: Too much of an alcohol taste. I don't know if I got my hands on a bad bottle, I wouldn't say it's undrinkable, I did finish the bottle, but it was way too boozy for my taste. The alcohol taste and aftertaste just overshadow everything that could be great about this beer. I understand that it's a tripel, and supposed to be alcoholic, but this is a little above and beyond to me. (664 characters)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue