La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,861 | Hads: 9,471
3.51/5  rDev -18.6%

The color is golden with some rust tones near the head, which is a egg shell white. Aggressive head continual effervescence and doesn't seem to want to leave. No lacing thus far, but we'll see by the end. The smell is of pils malt, alcohol cloves, and spices with some citrus notes. Its smooth and tart in just the right places. This is a well balanced beer. How ever when it comes down to it I normally grab Duvel over this, but it is still an excellent.. repeat excellent beer.
p.s i did this about a year ago and now I know how horriable corriander is if you use it in every damn beer you brew.

3.51/5  rDev -18.6%

Bought this to prepare to give as a gift. Also had the chance to try on draft. About the same,

Pours a golden haze, fair carbonation with a strong white head. Lace is fair and sticks.

Aroma of malty spice of clove.

Taste is strong, assertive of hop, spice, clove, pepper with malts, earth and alcohol.

The mouth is left dry yet coated with a spice malt coat.

Drinkable yes but alot going on here with the spice, malts and alcohol.

3.51/5  rDev -18.6%

750 ml bottle. "Best before 9-17-10" poured in a chalice.

A - Poured a nice 2 finger head pure white against the tan beer. Slightly cloudy but very uniform. Unfortunately the head didn't stay well. Lacing was nice!

S - Dusty/musky aroma masks subtle fruit underneath. not entirely pleasant, but not terrible.

T - Taste is surprisingly clean and well balanced after the disappointing aroma. Less sweet than many triples with a medium finish. Doesn't like being too cold, though.

M - Creamy and full bodied. A little more carbonation than I expected, but pleasantly so.

D - Nice triple. I would happily have another but I'm not wishing there was another here.

I'll put some of these down in the cellar. I think it will mature nicely.

3.52/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I will confess that I like -- but do not love -- Tripels, but enjoyed this offering from Canada. Very yeasty, and quite smooth for a high-octane brew.

3.52/5  rDev -18.3%

Others here have reviewed this beer with very clever and descriptive tasting notes. I'm going to sum up my feelings in simple phrase:

It tastes and smells like a very strong hefeweizen.

I really wanted to like this beer given all the glowing reviews for it, but it just doesn't do it for me. I've had other belgian styles and enjoyed them, so maybe the tripel style is simply not my cup of tea.

I'm glad to have had the opportunity to try this one, I just won't be trying it again.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well, on futher inspection, i find the alcohol to be to overwhelming, quite peppery and yeasty, with some mango nectar style stuff happening, with perhaps a bit of a white wine like character, a bit cloying and sweetish like many other Unibroue beers, but i still enjoyed it enough to give it a decent score.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best before 10/2014. Sharp, tart, yeasty nose. Strong banana and clove aromas. Pours golden with a bit of haze. Two-finger head sitting on top after pour settles out.

Puckering taste at entry. High alcohol noticeable right away. Estery bite next to the alcohol. Nice bright carbonation. Acidic taste left on the lips. Very dry finish.

Drinks easier and easier as you get deeper into the bottle! (No surprise there...)

“Nose: Floral bouquet, aromas of honey, spice, coriander, malt, and alcohol. Flavor: Mildly yeasty with a complex palate of malt, fruit and spice notes followed by a smooth, dry finish.”

Overall: B+, understated tripel

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle. Pours a golden yellow with a thick white head. Aroma is sort of odd, skunky-ish, some spices (clove maybe?). Flavor of a slight yogurt sourness, mint julep, melon, and yeast. A little heavy to drink. Decent tripel though!
Aroma: 7/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 7/10
Palate: 3/5
Overall: 14/20

3.54/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Wonderful golden color, slightly hazy. The head was a reasonable size and kept reasonably well.

S: Ripe citrus and hops cut by spices and cloves. Hoppy, herbal lingering smell, and perhaps a bit of booze.

T: The initial fruitiness is a bit overwhelming, but then it is cut by spice and then lingers with clove. It is a very momentous experience in terms of movement of flavors. My complaint, though, is that there is too much clove -- so much so that the clove overpowers everything that comes before it.

M: Right amount of carbonation and nice, smooth drinkability.

O: This is an alright beer, though I do not like clove. That said, the clove is a little too much for me. I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm not a huge fan of this beer. I appreciate the complexity, but the only thing worse than clove in a beer, in my opinion, is anise.

3.55/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured into my chimay goblet.

Bone white two finger head that fell to some lacing and small patches.Tons of carbonation from my goblet.Golden body,very clear.

Belgian yeast,pepper,my girl mentioned ginger also.some chalkyness.

Some lemon zest,some orange,hops,yeast,pepper. in the taste

Mouthful is sweet and a tad syrupy.some tang with the carbonation.

At 9% this beer dont seem that high.Good stuff but I tend to like the darker belgians more.I would reccomend to any belgian lover.But its nothing to go out and hunt down.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: murky sunshine yellow, thick, frothy, soap bubble head with awesome staying power
Smell: fruity, sweet with a mild sour/mildew characteristic
Taste: malty and sweet, too sweet, a variety of condensed fruit, with a little hop bite at the end
Mouthfeel: full, rich, thick foam, the best part of the brew
Drinkability: unfortunately just to overbearingly sweet for me, but I'm a crisp clean lager guy, I rate it above average for it's unique flavor and complexity

3.55/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured a cloudy orange/yellow with 1 finger white head that dissipated and left a sudsy lace.

Smell was spice with apricot/mango

Tasted pepper spice with fruit flavors. Fizzy carbonation with a medium body.

A decent beer that is a sipping beer for me. Not really a fan of the fizzy alka seltzer type carbonation.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the 750 ml bottle a very hazy bright yellow color with a big, fluffy white head. Aromas of Belgian yeast, light malt and lemon. Medium bodied, with flavors of bread, yeast, spices and light hops. Very crisp and drinkable, the bottle went way too fast.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Sampled from a 750ml bottle. Corked and all. Classy but not a brew for monday night football. I can appreciate this sort of thing but this one just didn't do a whole lot for me.

Pours a nice crisp yellow with a yeasty aroma. Great mouthfeel, but the flavour was a not doing much for the o'l taste buds. I must be fair in that this was the only sample I've had and I did not take note of the "best by" date. I should try it again because it really did sound like something that would be right up my alley.

I hope it was just a bad sample, but if not, it really did taste like the End of the World.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours golden yellow with a huge, hard to control pure white head - be careful on this pour. Head diminishes to 1/4 inch, where it resides until the bottom of the glass. Subtle lacing. Aromas of white grape, wine alcohol and freshly chopped wood shine through. Initial feel is intense carbonation - very fizzy and active on the tongue. First taste yields sharp grapefruit tartness with other miscellaneous fruity tones coming on strong. Sadly, this burst of flavor doesn't stick around long and abruptly gives way to an oaky and warm alcohol aftertaste. I found the flavor to be somewhat lacking in complexity compared to others I've had from Unibroue. The alcohol here is physically present (1/2 glass is enough to feel it) but hardly noticeable in the taste. This beer was good - I would have it again, but I was a bit let down by comparison.

3.56/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Cloudy yellow color with a nice head.
Aroma: Beer has an orange with coriander spice aroma.
Flavor: Spicy orange flavor, with a bitter finish. Medium bodied with fuzzy full carbonation.
Overall: Unlike traditional Tripels with their ubitiqtious lemony citrus aroma and flavor, this beer is brew has the taste of orange. This beer taste like a descent Witbier.

3.57/5  rDev -17.2%

Given my love of Belgian-style beers and the high ratings, I was eager to try this brew.

Pour from a 750 ml bottle into an oversized wine glass.

A - Pours a clear, golden straw color with lots of effervescent bubbles. A thin yet rocky head that quickly dissipates leaving nothing - no lacing. However the strong head returns with a few quick swirls.

S - Mainly a bready yeast with some sweet candy malts. Hints of lemon and a bit of clove and spice. To me, this is the best part of the beer.

T - Based on the aroma of the beer, the taste was a bit disappointing. Mainly a bittersweet spiciness. Overall sour notes.

M: Another disappointment as it was much thinner than other tripels I've tried. Moderate carbonation.

D: Considering the high ABV and my high expectations of this brew, it is drinkable for this style. I will try other beers from Unibroue and see if their other styles hit the mark for me.

3.57/5  rDev -17.2%

I've always been meaning to buy a beer from this company I just never got around to it, but now I have.

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with loads of carbonation and yeast present in the body of it. The is a rocky white head that sits a top it that disipated at a decent rate to create a film arcoss the top leaving spotty lacing. For a Belgian style I wants to see the head stay up longer then it did.

The smell and taste are loaded with fruity sweet malts giving it a slightly apple like taste. Big yeasty aroma and taste is very present. Also in both there was a very present fusal alcohol presence. The only difference really in the smell and taste is that the taste had a slightly spicey hops taste that was present.

The beer was a medium body that left a nice warming feeling in the mouth from the high alcohol. It was a wonderful brew that must be taken with respect and sipped throughout the night.

3.57/5  rDev -17.2%

This beer is a hazy yellow color with a medium thick white head. Not very much head retention, and thin lacing. Aroma is yeasty and spicy. Rather light-bodied and bubbly, with flavors of spice, hops, citrus and vanilla. The finish is light and crisp with a hint of alcohol. This is a pretty good Tripel.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This poured a hazy light gold with white head. It smelled like yeast and grapefruit hops. It tasted like a blend of citrus hops and cultured yeast, with a hint of malt. It was oily and carbonated with a lasting lemon aftertaste. Overall this wasn't bad, but I'm still not a fan of the light Belgian ales.

3.57/5  rDev -17.2%

I've had this one a couple of times, overall its pretty good, but my drinking of it pretty much depends on what else I have to choose from - if theres not much to speak of, then I would get this again.

A: Light and a slighly cloudly yellow

S: It has light floral hints in its aroma along with a stong smell of yeast.

T: Overall, not to bad - fairly yeasty and crisp, with a little hop in its finish.

M: Not much to say here, the alcohol is hidden pretty well and it is neither light nor heavy in feel.

D: See above, I'd get it again, but it would be far from a top pick.

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours a nice honey color with a 1/4 inch with very intricate lace on the side and great carbonation. Lot of sediment in the bottle. Aroma produces sour apple, toffee, wheat and yeasty citrus notes. Mouthfeel is very clean and has that nice alcohol kick on the back end. Taste is a beautiful mixture of malts with some slight spiciness on the backside. My first experience with the Unibroue folks and certainly won't be my last.

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

A: Pours straw yellow, cloudy, with very little head that quickly dissipates. Very pretty beer that comes in a very fancy bottle.

S: A sort of wheaty/fruity smell, pleasant at first, but quickly becomes somewhat unpleasant. A hint of something fermented.

T: Fermented Wheat. Sweet finish. Definitely an acquired taste, my first bottle was about as enjoyable as chewing broken glass. Tried again a week later, not unpleasant, but not something I enjoyed. Tried it again today, was rather enjoyable. This beer seriously benefits from multiple tastings.

M: Very thin, and watery at first, but becomes almost jelly-like when it warms up in your mouth. One of the oddest feelings I've ever had with a beer.

D: This was my first and last six pack of La Fin du Monde, although I eventually came to appreciate its flavour, I just couldn't get into this beer. If you enjoy beers like Blanche de Chambly or Hacker-Pschorr, I think you would find this beer rather agreeable, but if you enjoy darker brews with smoother tastes I'd keep clear.

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

Another solid offering from Unibroue.
Pours a murky, cloudy light gold in color. Two fingers of head forms on the pour. Smell is highly yeasty, with some spice and a decent amount of lemon. Taste has actually quite a bit of yeast to it. There is more of the fruity overtones, with more than just the lemon flavor showing up. Decent mouthfeel and highly carbonated. Decent, but it's not "The Don".

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

341mL bottle into snifter. bottled on october 24, 2013 at 1:40pm eastern time. consumed on august 7, 2014, at 6:10pm eastern time

a: opaque golden apricot with a very frothy two fingers of head. loads of small bubbles in the head, looks great

s: bubblegum, pear, banana, apricot, lemon, apple, spices, yeast, hints of alcohol

t: nice apple, pear, and banana up front, followed by spices, yeast, bubblegum. faint citrus notes. the fruit flavours don't stick around too long, then a moderately malty mid-palate is introduced. a light-to-medium bitterness kicks in quckly. almost no alcohol presence. dry finish

m: medium bodied with medium-high carbonation

o: complex and interesting, tasty with a nice drying quality to it, but belgian tripels are really not my kind of drink. i'd rather reach for unibroue's dark ales

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue