La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
GRBLUE12

Furlinator

11-18-2013 05:35:10 | More by Furlinator
jamie2dope

2.78/5  rDev -35.6%

I love this brewery, and am not sure if I have ever had this, so I bought a single today. Pours a nice hazed golden color, with lots of air bubbles, and small bits of sediment. Heading is about one fingers worth. Big whiffs of tropical fruit begin, with mango, papaya, pineapple, a bit of must and nectar in there as well.Taste is very fruity, with the fruits mentioned above included, but then there is a spicy character that comes in, followed by a solvent alcohol taste that can best be compared to vodka. Body is medium, slick on the mouth and pretty hot I have to say. I am glad I opted for the single instead of an entire bottle, as this one was really hard for me to finish. I know this one gets a lot of praise, bit what can I say? I am not a huge fan of Tripels, and am definitely not a fan of Tripels that remind me of my least favorite spirit, vodka. Worth a try for Belgian fans. Cheers

01-30-2009 01:36:28 | More by jamie2dope
mrasskicktastic

2.78/5  rDev -35.6%

A - Poured a cloudy orange/amber with a monsterous frothy white head that lingered for a long time. Intense carbonation visible. No lacing, too bad.

S - Very weak odor. Mostly carbonation. Some flowery notes and a little banana and pear esters. No alcohol scent. Too bad the carbonation smell dominates and the undertones are so subtle.

T - At first, I thought the beer possessed a very potent metallic flavor, but after a little progress, I could barely taste it. It is a sweet beer, a slight citrus against a wheaty malt taste. Alcohol is completely hidden. None of the flavors are that amazing, and the metal just tainted my view.

M - Thin, the carbonation is a little harsh, a bit drying. Unibroue's other works I've tasted were absurdly refreshing. This one is anomalous for them. Sure the abv is absent in the taste, but its astringent nature is dessicating my poor mouth.

D - Not very good. I think I'll steer clear of La Fin du Monde in the future. It wasn't a terrible beer, but for the price and the brewery, I expected more. Its strong point is that the 9% abv is obfuscated, probably under the powerful carbonation.

08-27-2005 02:40:42 | More by mrasskicktastic
Cru

Montana

2.8/5  rDev -35.2%

Cloudy yellow pour with a fair amount of sediment in the bottle.

Moderately strong fruit aroma. Heavy lacing, well carbonated. A banana, clove, fig kind of nose. Definitely dominated by the banana flavor. Best by date was 02/12 but something seemed a little off with this beer. It did not taste skunked, but the flavor combination reminds me of a beer that's been sitting in the sun for a while. Not my favorite Unibroue.

That strong malt profile combined with an overpowering banana ester flavor left me looking for something a little dryer. Like maybe a glass of water...

12-19-2011 22:19:35 | More by Cru
guitarob

2.81/5  rDev -35%

Appearance: Cloudy, golden, long lasting & thick head. Very little lacing.

Smell: Alcohol, banana, bubblegum

Taste: Heavy alcohol flavor, enough that it overshadows everything else. Light taste of caramel.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly creamy, carbonation is not too heavy.

Overall: Too much of an alcohol taste. I don't know if I got my hands on a bad bottle, I wouldn't say it's undrinkable, I did finish the bottle, but it was way too boozy for my taste. The alcohol taste and aftertaste just overshadow everything that could be great about this beer. I understand that it's a tripel, and supposed to be alcoholic, but this is a little above and beyond to me.

06-22-2013 22:37:21 | More by guitarob
s1ckboy

2.83/5  rDev -34.5%

A - A nice yellow/orange body. Nice big white head

S - A bit spicy and sweet.

T - This is where it loses me. Very spicy, peppery. The spices just don't do it for me. Reminds be of a bad fall/pumpkin beer. A bit of alcohol in the finish

M - Thinner side of medium. Too much carbonation.

O - Not for me.

10-05-2011 15:40:59 | More by s1ckboy
TheViolator666

2.83/5  rDev -34.5%

Appearance: Looks nice. Golden in color with a huge frothy white head. Slight amount of lacing, nothing spectacular.

Smell: Smells strongly of yeast and a slight hint of citrus.

Taste: The yeast is overpowering, just like any other unfiltered "ale on lees" beer I've had thus far. Just when I think I can taste citrus, the yeast takes over. I can't help but get the same overwhelming taste out of all of these. There is a warming alcohol taste at the very end, but no too overpowering... probably the best thing about this beer.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated.

I'm really not sure how people can drink these types of yeasty beers regularly.

07-08-2009 01:16:19 | More by TheViolator666
fcaf

Washington

2.88/5  rDev -33.3%

Appearance: Golden yellow with a small head.
Smell: Musty wheat
Taste: Strong flavors of wheat and yeast, overpowering the subtle backdrop of pepper and lemon.
Mouthfeel: Very smooth.
Drinkability: Low due to the lack of complexity.

At the end of the day I'd rather just be drinking a garden-variety amber or sour. Not sure what this beer brings to the table, honestly.

09-24-2010 04:55:15 | More by fcaf
Naerhu

Japan

2.9/5  rDev -32.9%

appearance - opaque dull gold color with pure white head that disapates. Good taste throughout.
aroma - orange and creamy, corriander.
taste - orange and mild malt taste. mild sweetness restrained by mild bitterness. a mild beer.
mouthfeel - nothing special
Drinkability - nothing coming back for.

04-30-2003 06:57:53 | More by Naerhu
n1ckels

2.93/5  rDev -32.2%

One of those beers I got interested in through BA. Sadly, I must report I don't think it lives up to the hype.

A-more yellow than golden, very bubbly, even 10 minutes after pour

S-all i get is faint orangey/lemony smell tinged with iron

T-Meh....Taste like iron with a modest belgian sweetness. I'd rather have the waffle. Surprisingly not astringent or alcoholy. Similiar in taste to a sparking white grape juice.

D- I must give praise on this category. For a 9% beer, it's one of the smoothest and easiest to drink I've had. Take that Miller or Coors Light.

In closing, I give this a whopping MEH. I think Trader Joe's Vintage '07 beats the shit out of this beer, and costs less.

It's so bubbly, you almost think this is more a mid-morning than evening drink. When I crave something bubbly and sweet, I'm almost more tempted just to buy some sparkling cider, which is basically in the same genus as this beer.

This is a pretentious beer and I'm not impressed. What more can I say? I'll drink it again, but I won't buy it again.

03-22-2008 17:51:29 | More by n1ckels
Onibubba

Kentucky

2.93/5  rDev -32.2%

First review! Poured into a Duvel glass. Beautiful light amber color with a white undying head. Aroma seemed very floral to me, and the alcohol was quite appearant. Something else too...Something sweet?

Taste confirmed the alcohol (whoah) and the source of the sweetness - the first thought that came into my head was bubblegum.

Mouthfeel was nice - a bit more carbination than I like, but nice. Not very drinkable for me. Could only manage small sips. Like most big beers, the taste improves as the temp warms, but not so much that I would want another anytime soon. I just could not shake the bubblegum.

This beer did have very impressive characteristics, but the taste just did not suit me. Glad I tried it though.

07-21-2006 17:45:05 | More by Onibubba