La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 9,171 | Reviews: 2,862

Poured in to Duvel tulip

A - Somewhat cloudy yellow colour with two fingers of white head. Very carbonated which created a lot of head on the pour.

S - Bready malts with sweet citrus and spices in the background. No discernible hops.

T - Bready malts up front with citrus and cloves and some tropical fruit (banana) in the background.

M - Light body. Moderate carbonation.

D - A good Belgian triple, not my preferred style but still good.

3.5/5  rDev -19%

My first trippel and purchased due to rave reviews from friends. Initial pour had lots of white head, yellow-irange in color. Aroma of citrus at first, but with another smell I was able to pick out some bananas. Active palate, with plenty of carbonation. Had a yeasty, citrusy taste. Finish was bitter and alcoholic. At first I wasn’t that big a fan, but as I sipped more, I enjoyed it and detected some peppery taste. I guess I'm not much of a coriander guy. I particularly enjoyed the last of the 750 ml bottle. A good beer and I’m glad I tried it.

A - nice colour

S - banana, yeasty with a hint of sweetness

T - clean crisp with no aftertaste.

M - no bite, drinks nice

Overall, a nice fruity drinkable beer. It goes nicely with spice wings and grilled seafood. Also, if you reduce it over low heat in a sauce pan, it mixes well with mix berries.

750ml BBD 07-18-09

Pours an effervescent strawberry peach color with finger of white head. Superior head retention & good lacing

S: Fruitty with staw notes. Some phenolic notes as this warms

T: Pears, apple skins & dryness up front. Warming booze & citric hops (lemons& grapefruit) follow, along with jammy notes. As this warms I get phenolic, earthy & mushroomy (?) notes along with hints of shorbread. Finishes with warming to almost hot alcohol, appleskins, pears, & lemony hops

MF: Medium-bodied, pretty active carbonation fits the style

Drinks a bit slow, I'm sure this is better more matured. I fear this bottle has been opened at least a year too early.

3.51/5  rDev -18.8%

Golden liquid with moderate head when poured in wide chalice glass. Light rounded malty smell. Light maltness with subdued fruit esters of pear and apple, accompanied by a mellow phenol spiceyness. Maltyness fades to noticeable alcohol presence and subtle hop bitterness. Bubbly almost foamy carbonation with a relatively thin malty body. Good beer.

3.51/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

We shared a 750ml bottle into a maredsous chalice and a large wine goblet. Pours a delightful golden color with a quite vigorous amount of foam - very nice. The aroma, even upon warming up, was not particularly strong - some coriander and citrus but not a lot past that. The taste was also a bit of a letdown - it was very smooth but we were hoping for more belgian ester and yeast flavors.

3.51/5  rDev -18.8%

i tried this beer not knowing what to expect as i was not familiar with this company. the 1st bottle was opened and the smell was enticing my 1st thought was this is going to be good. and i was right. tasted good in my mouth and went down nice and smooth . i am looking forward to sampling more from this brewer

3.51/5  rDev -18.8%

The color is golden with some rust tones near the head, which is a egg shell white. Aggressive head continual effervescence and doesn't seem to want to leave. No lacing thus far, but we'll see by the end. The smell is of pils malt, alcohol cloves, and spices with some citrus notes. Its smooth and tart in just the right places. This is a well balanced beer. How ever when it comes down to it I normally grab Duvel over this, but it is still an excellent.. repeat excellent beer.
p.s i did this about a year ago and now I know how horriable corriander is if you use it in every damn beer you brew.

3.51/5  rDev -18.8%

Bought this to prepare to give as a gift. Also had the chance to try on draft. About the same,

Pours a golden haze, fair carbonation with a strong white head. Lace is fair and sticks.

Aroma of malty spice of clove.

Taste is strong, assertive of hop, spice, clove, pepper with malts, earth and alcohol.

The mouth is left dry yet coated with a spice malt coat.

Drinkable yes but alot going on here with the spice, malts and alcohol.

3.51/5  rDev -18.8%

750 ml bottle. "Best before 9-17-10" poured in a chalice.

A - Poured a nice 2 finger head pure white against the tan beer. Slightly cloudy but very uniform. Unfortunately the head didn't stay well. Lacing was nice!

S - Dusty/musky aroma masks subtle fruit underneath. not entirely pleasant, but not terrible.

T - Taste is surprisingly clean and well balanced after the disappointing aroma. Less sweet than many triples with a medium finish. Doesn't like being too cold, though.

M - Creamy and full bodied. A little more carbonation than I expected, but pleasantly so.

D - Nice triple. I would happily have another but I'm not wishing there was another here.

I'll put some of these down in the cellar. I think it will mature nicely.

3.52/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I will confess that I like -- but do not love -- Tripels, but enjoyed this offering from Canada. Very yeasty, and quite smooth for a high-octane brew.

3.52/5  rDev -18.5%

Others here have reviewed this beer with very clever and descriptive tasting notes. I'm going to sum up my feelings in simple phrase:

It tastes and smells like a very strong hefeweizen.

I really wanted to like this beer given all the glowing reviews for it, but it just doesn't do it for me. I've had other belgian styles and enjoyed them, so maybe the tripel style is simply not my cup of tea.

I'm glad to have had the opportunity to try this one, I just won't be trying it again.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well, on futher inspection, i find the alcohol to be to overwhelming, quite peppery and yeasty, with some mango nectar style stuff happening, with perhaps a bit of a white wine like character, a bit cloying and sweetish like many other Unibroue beers, but i still enjoyed it enough to give it a decent score.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best before 10/2014. Sharp, tart, yeasty nose. Strong banana and clove aromas. Pours golden with a bit of haze. Two-finger head sitting on top after pour settles out.

Puckering taste at entry. High alcohol noticeable right away. Estery bite next to the alcohol. Nice bright carbonation. Acidic taste left on the lips. Very dry finish.

Drinks easier and easier as you get deeper into the bottle! (No surprise there...)

“Nose: Floral bouquet, aromas of honey, spice, coriander, malt, and alcohol. Flavor: Mildly yeasty with a complex palate of malt, fruit and spice notes followed by a smooth, dry finish.”

Overall: B+, understated tripel

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle. Pours a golden yellow with a thick white head. Aroma is sort of odd, skunky-ish, some spices (clove maybe?). Flavor of a slight yogurt sourness, mint julep, melon, and yeast. A little heavy to drink. Decent tripel though!
Aroma: 7/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 7/10
Palate: 3/5
Overall: 14/20
3.5/5

3.54/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Wonderful golden color, slightly hazy. The head was a reasonable size and kept reasonably well.

S: Ripe citrus and hops cut by spices and cloves. Hoppy, herbal lingering smell, and perhaps a bit of booze.

T: The initial fruitiness is a bit overwhelming, but then it is cut by spice and then lingers with clove. It is a very momentous experience in terms of movement of flavors. My complaint, though, is that there is too much clove -- so much so that the clove overpowers everything that comes before it.

M: Right amount of carbonation and nice, smooth drinkability.

O: This is an alright beer, though I do not like clove. That said, the clove is a little too much for me. I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm not a huge fan of this beer. I appreciate the complexity, but the only thing worse than clove in a beer, in my opinion, is anise.

3.55/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured into my chimay goblet.

Bone white two finger head that fell to some lacing and small patches.Tons of carbonation from my goblet.Golden body,very clear.

Belgian yeast,pepper,my girl mentioned ginger also.some chalkyness.

Some lemon zest,some orange,hops,yeast,pepper. in the taste

Mouthful is sweet and a tad syrupy.some tang with the carbonation.

At 9% this beer dont seem that high.Good stuff but I tend to like the darker belgians more.I would reccomend to any belgian lover.But its nothing to go out and hunt down.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: murky sunshine yellow, thick, frothy, soap bubble head with awesome staying power
Smell: fruity, sweet with a mild sour/mildew characteristic
Taste: malty and sweet, too sweet, a variety of condensed fruit, with a little hop bite at the end
Mouthfeel: full, rich, thick foam, the best part of the brew
Drinkability: unfortunately just to overbearingly sweet for me, but I'm a crisp clean lager guy, I rate it above average for it's unique flavor and complexity

3.55/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured a cloudy orange/yellow with 1 finger white head that dissipated and left a sudsy lace.

Smell was spice with apricot/mango

Tasted pepper spice with fruit flavors. Fizzy carbonation with a medium body.

A decent beer that is a sipping beer for me. Not really a fan of the fizzy alka seltzer type carbonation.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the 750 ml bottle a very hazy bright yellow color with a big, fluffy white head. Aromas of Belgian yeast, light malt and lemon. Medium bodied, with flavors of bread, yeast, spices and light hops. Very crisp and drinkable, the bottle went way too fast.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Sampled from a 750ml bottle. Corked and all. Classy but not a brew for monday night football. I can appreciate this sort of thing but this one just didn't do a whole lot for me.

Pours a nice crisp yellow with a yeasty aroma. Great mouthfeel, but the flavour was a not doing much for the o'l taste buds. I must be fair in that this was the only sample I've had and I did not take note of the "best by" date. I should try it again because it really did sound like something that would be right up my alley.

I hope it was just a bad sample, but if not, it really did taste like the End of the World.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours golden yellow with a huge, hard to control pure white head - be careful on this pour. Head diminishes to 1/4 inch, where it resides until the bottom of the glass. Subtle lacing. Aromas of white grape, wine alcohol and freshly chopped wood shine through. Initial feel is intense carbonation - very fizzy and active on the tongue. First taste yields sharp grapefruit tartness with other miscellaneous fruity tones coming on strong. Sadly, this burst of flavor doesn't stick around long and abruptly gives way to an oaky and warm alcohol aftertaste. I found the flavor to be somewhat lacking in complexity compared to others I've had from Unibroue. The alcohol here is physically present (1/2 glass is enough to feel it) but hardly noticeable in the taste. This beer was good - I would have it again, but I was a bit let down by comparison.

3.56/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Cloudy yellow color with a nice head.
Aroma: Beer has an orange with coriander spice aroma.
Flavor: Spicy orange flavor, with a bitter finish. Medium bodied with fuzzy full carbonation.
Overall: Unlike traditional Tripels with their ubitiqtious lemony citrus aroma and flavor, this beer is brew has the taste of orange. This beer taste like a descent Witbier.

3.57/5  rDev -17.4%

Given my love of Belgian-style beers and the high ratings, I was eager to try this brew.

Pour from a 750 ml bottle into an oversized wine glass.

A - Pours a clear, golden straw color with lots of effervescent bubbles. A thin yet rocky head that quickly dissipates leaving nothing - no lacing. However the strong head returns with a few quick swirls.

S - Mainly a bready yeast with some sweet candy malts. Hints of lemon and a bit of clove and spice. To me, this is the best part of the beer.

T - Based on the aroma of the beer, the taste was a bit disappointing. Mainly a bittersweet spiciness. Overall sour notes.

M: Another disappointment as it was much thinner than other tripels I've tried. Moderate carbonation.

D: Considering the high ABV and my high expectations of this brew, it is drinkable for this style. I will try other beers from Unibroue and see if their other styles hit the mark for me.

3.57/5  rDev -17.4%

I've always been meaning to buy a beer from this company I just never got around to it, but now I have.

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with loads of carbonation and yeast present in the body of it. The is a rocky white head that sits a top it that disipated at a decent rate to create a film arcoss the top leaving spotty lacing. For a Belgian style I wants to see the head stay up longer then it did.

The smell and taste are loaded with fruity sweet malts giving it a slightly apple like taste. Big yeasty aroma and taste is very present. Also in both there was a very present fusal alcohol presence. The only difference really in the smell and taste is that the taste had a slightly spicey hops taste that was present.

The beer was a medium body that left a nice warming feeling in the mouth from the high alcohol. It was a wonderful brew that must be taken with respect and sipped throughout the night.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue