Microbrew Invitational

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada | website

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,917 | Ratings: 9,805
4.7/5  rDev +9%

"The End of the World", en Francais, for my 100th BA review. Que a propo, non? So, my French sucks...sorry.

750 ml cork-in-cage bottle with 'best before date' 12-18-10, opened with a confident pop! and poured gently into a chalice yields a bright hazy blonde body decorated with a steady wave of Champagne-style bubbles and a white head of 2 fingers that retains at a half-finger and laces the glass nicely.

Smell is spicy and savory, with light caramel malts and a slightly acidy citrus character. Rich and soul-lifting.

Tastes sweetly malty, balanced with tartness, dry yeast and a touch of orange and hot pepper. Wonderfully bready, then banana and sweet pineapple flavors kick in, making this sub-Arctic Canadian masterwork seem exotic and tropical.

Tingling carbonation that cuts the sweet malty profile to perfect drinkability and releases even more flavors. Juicy fresh fruits and mild nuttiness grow as the drink warms. Slick, silky, outstanding.

No trace of the potent alcohol, pas de tout, in this beer I find simply magnificent. My first Unibroue offering, too. Extremely impressed. Outstanding. Awesome. Kickass. Irony in the circumstances in my and the previous poster's review :)

From notes:

P: A murky apricot body with streaming bubbles and a crown of airy white head the quickly fades to a translucent swirl.

S: Profound yeast esters, mandarin oranges with sweet alcohol. Coriander, earthy notes, leather oil and spices. Barnyard funk, apricots, and pears.

T/M: A vibrant carbonated tingle on the palate that opens up to funky esters, robust orchard fruits, bananas, and subtle spices. A small amount of smoked wood that compliments the dry finish of tangy apples.

O: Wow! This is truly a delicious tripel. I loved everything about it. Complex and elegant with bold flavors and easy drink ability. I enjoy this both cold and room temp. This will be a regular pleasure for me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma reminds me of a witbier; strong zesty lemon, some fresh floral notes, and possibly some coriander. Big, foamy, pale cream colored head leaves strings of lace as it pops its way to a dense foamy coating. Mildly sweet with a bit of orangey coriander up front. It's citrusy throughout and only slightly bitter towards the end. There's a yeasty vanilla flavor that fades in as the beer warms, and some other spices I can't point my finger on. Body is moderately light and the mouthfeel is soft and smooth. Imperial Trappist Witbier? Who cares what it is, it's frickin great!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am very glad that Golden Monkey was my first Belgian Tripel... even though its an American beer. Why? Because I feel that every time I buy a new Tripel to try, it just keeps getting better. No offense to Victory. Anyways, before trying this brew, I must say Brooklyn Local 1 was so far the best I have tried. The aroma of this beer is typical of this style. Nothing mind blowing or exciting. Smells, in my opinion, the same as every other beer of this style... yeast and fruit. I took nice sniff before I tried it to see if I could anticipate the taste. Well at first, I thought I was right. Right after I swallowed, I realized I was dead wrong. I was pleasantly surprised by the spicy clove after taste; something I have yet to experience in this type of beer. It has a very sweet and spicy flavor. Yeast is obviously present as well as alcohol as this is a 9% ABV brew. Because of the sweetness of this beer, I don't think its as drinkable as maybe the Brooklyn Local 1. I don't know what else to say about this really... It is an amazing Tripel for lack of better words. If you like this style, definitely try this one. Its not very expensive... I bought this a Trader Joe's in Brookline, MA for $6.49 and anyone from the area knows damn well that Boston is notorious for price gauging alcohol.
Enjoy!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served from the bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: This beer is a pleasing hazy copper color. The head towered a fluffy white that subsided into thick lacing.

Smell: This beer smells peppery spicy with undertones of sweetness. The alcohol smell plays nicely with the brew.

Taste: This beer has a wonderful peppery goodness supported by a malty sweetness. The alcohol is hidden or plays well with the other flavors in the beer.

Mouthfeel: This is a full boddied beer that is very nicely carbonated. Very clean on the palate.

Drinkability: This is dangerously drinkable. The flavors are very much balanced. I wish I had more.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Deep golden orange hue with a brilliant bright 3 finger white head that lasts with good carbonation.

S - Light fruit esters with a bit of spiciness. Banana, orange, lemon and peppery qualities.

T - Extends from the nose. Awesome combination of banana and citrus. The Belgian yeast is also apparent here. No alcohol present whatsoever, even at 9%!

M - Pretty thin body with a lot of carbonation to smooth things along. Very crisp and refreshing beer.

O - Unibroue is an extremely consistent brewery and La Fin Du Monde happens to be the top of their game. This beer really sold me on the tripel style and has caused me to seek out others in the style. A perfect representation of the style.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewing what I remember from last night

Appearance: Hazy golden pale yellow with a nice offwhite head that doesnt quit. Lacings pretty darn nice. Head doesnt quit.

Smell: Pepper spice, cloves and some fruityness to go along

Taste: Right off the bad incredible. Very sweet upfront with a lot of malts that translates into a spicey clove taste. Slight hoppiness to finish

Mouthfeel: Extremely smooth. Alcohol is masked pretty darn well until you finish and realize it.

Overall delicious beer. Definitely coming back for more and more of this. Highly recommended

4.7/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip glass at Patty Red's in downtown Ft. Worth this past weekend.

A: Poured a beautiful 2 finger head that recedes somewhat slowly as I drink this beer.

S: Normally I don't smell it, but this particular bottle smelled a LOT of bubble gum and in a good way. It also had some aromas of apple, pear, and only very slightly phenolic. The beer smelled absolutely wonderful. Maybe the best I've ever smelled.

T: One of my favorite beers in the world as far as taste goes. It was going down smooth without any alcohol burn. Taste of mildly sour pears and other fruits this beer is delicious. It also has some pepperiness to it which I just love. It balances out some of the sweetness which is great.

M: My only real knock on La Fin Du Monde is the overcarbonation. I would rather have a beer that is over carbonated as opposed to under carbonated though so it is only a small deduction in points. If this beer was slightly less carbonated it might be the best beer there is.

D: Off the charts on the drinkability. Budweiser could learn a thing or two about drinkability from this brew. At 9% alcohol I almost can't believe how easy it is to down this beer. While I only had one this past weekend (among other selections) I could easily have 3-4 of these in one night and enjoy every single one.

Overall this is one of my favorite beers, and in the style of Tripel I can't think of a better one. I can think of others which come close to matching it, but when one considers the price ($9.99 for a 4-pack) there is nothing out there that matches it. The other beers which come close are all $10 for a 750ml so for twice the amount of beer I'll almost always turn to La Fin du Monde. Who also doesn't like a beer that translates to "The End of the World"? Also this beer is easily the best I have had among the Unibroue offerings.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Damn, this is one fine brew. I cant believe i've waited this long to review it.

Ap-Slightly hazy with a very deep honey color with lots of bubbles and a good size head that last, very effervescent.
Sm - A subtle spiciniess hits your nose that gives way to a fruity, slight yeast and citrusy scent. Very very aromatic.
T - F'ing outstanding. Mellow bananas and orange first grace your mouth blending with the spice to just baste your tastebuds in liquid goodness. The flavors linger after every swallow.

This is just one exceptional brew. The effervescense cleans your palate for the flavors that are immediately following. I will keep this as a regular in my selection and will also cellar a few.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What's this? A Belgian strong ale made in Quebec?? Yes, that's right, and what an amazing brew. Dense off white head that seems to stick to the glass with ease. Aroma of spices, yeast, malt, alcohol and fruity esters. Wonderful!

Oh man, the stuff just flows in your mouth and the dried aged fruity tastes and malt explode across your palette! Tingly bubbly feel and slight hop to balance the big bold taste out nicely. A bigger beer in this style would be hard to attain. The alcohol is barely noticed until either it warms sufficiently or you try to stand up. Well done! Another winner from Unibroue, eh?

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours light amber and a thin white head, with a floral nose and touches of clove and banana. This was somewhat similar to the Eau Bénite but bigger, with a more pronounced fruitiness and refreshing spiciness. Again, given its ABV, this was a superbly smooth beer and not at all harsh.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Rochefort chalice.

A: Pours a golden honey color, as cloudy as a witbier. Thin off-white head (it's a chalice) with excellent retention and fine lace.

S: Spicy, fruity, sweet, yeasty malts. Pepper is the main spice, banana and pear in the fruit spectrum.

T: Pepper and cinnamon, citrusy (mellow orange) fruit, smidge of apricot, sweet malt. All the notes you expect in a tripel, in splendid balance. Long and lingering finish maintains the spice and sweetness together. Some soft minerals, as well as a slightly whipped cream flavor, tie the flavor and mouthfeel together.

M: On the light side of medium body, excellent carbonation gives a creamy and billowy mouthfeel. Suave.

O: Pure delight and joy. One of my favorite tripels, or favorites of any style for that matter. Ridiculously inexpensive for the quality of brew. Have been enjoying this for many years, and hope to have at least as many yet ahead.

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Heard noting but good things about this beer and have been wanting to try it for a while. Poured into a tulip. Nice 3 finger head that dissipated rather quickly with minimal lacing. Amazing nose, lots of clove, banana, cinnamon...and hints of apricot, pine, and orange. Easy going feel, the high alc is non apparent..complex taste that lingers and leaves you wanting another sip .. a must try for any beer lover

4.7/5  rDev +9%

When I first bought this beer at the store, I thought it would have a very strong taste due to the high alchool content. WRONG! This beer is like a Leffe Blond, but 40X better! It is a bit sweet, nice smell, good carbonation! This is simply a wonderful beer to have! WARNING: Do not drink it too fast! ----I would definitely recommend this beer to a friend!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a cloudy light yellow into a tulip glass, resembles lemonade in clarity and color. A nice lively, sparkling head hissing at me.
What can I really say about this, it looks very "high class". lots of fine bubbles traveling the sides and a constant jet like fountain of larger bubbles going up from the center. Very attractive looking beer.

The smell really blew me away. It's so alive and fragrant. I get a deep fruity focus, lighter fruits like tangerines and white grapes with a touch of floral qualities.

Taste wise this kind of reminds me of a sweeter, more highly carbonated American Pale Ale.this is very good. it hides the alcohol extremely well, but you still know you're drinking a beer.

It has a really champagne or sparkling wine feel to it for me. lighter bodied, kinda airy and effervescent.

This stuff really drinks like liquid candy, you hardly know you're even drinking anything over 6%.

I didn't know what to really expect with this one, as it is my introduction to the style, but I am blown away by it. Unbelievable beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - A very pretty, hazy gold color with a slight orange tint. Large, fluffy white head with staying power that leaves a nice amount of lace, though not a huge amount.

S - Yeasty smell with some fruity tones. Perhaps pears and apples. Some spicy smelling malt aromas as well.

T - A nice dry flavor that's very crisp with some spiciness to it. Some fruitiness in there too, perhaps berries or tart grapes and a tiny bit of hops. I am quite the hophead at times but in this brew I don't miss a big hop punch as the tiny hints of hops contribute o the sweet and spicy flavors rather nicely.

M - Very pleasant, some nice carbonation and very slight alcohol warming at the end.

D - For a higher alcohol beer this is as drinkable as I've ever tasted. A nice medium bodied beer that goes down smooth and tastes great.

Notes: One of my favorites for a long time, I finally got around to reviewing it. Those Unibroue characters really know what they're doing.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A hazy, translucent, orange-amber brew emerges with a decent head from an aggressive pour. Active carbonation keeps the mottled white head alive. Fruity, alcohol esters are easily picked up in the nose.

Tangy grapefruit flavors hit the mouth first, with a substantial grain presence that hints at roast caramel. A slightly sweet after bite tempers the hops as the smooth carbonation trails lingering yeast-infused esters. Altogether a pleasure to drink.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

this is one of my very favourite beers, and proof that you don't have to go to the belgians for an excellent belgian style beer. beautiful honey colour, floral aroma, balanced flavour with dry and sweet notes. eminently drinkable, almost dangerously so given the alcohol content. if you don't watch out if will be the end of the world. but not a bad way to go.

this beer is excellent with spicy food, but also just by itself.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a slightly cloudy gold with a pure white foamy head. Small bubbles jet upward for days. Sweet, fruity aromas of watermelon and bit of bubblegum, also some yeasty notes in there in well. Taste explosion - it makes my head spin trying to comprehend it. I'll have to fill in the flavors on another bottle but for now suffice it to say that it's a 5 in the taste department. The medium body is perfectly lifted with the carbonation. Along with Trois Pistoles, this is one of tbe best beers I've ever had.

4.7/5  rDev +9%

Pours a spritzy champagne color with a spritzy 1/4" head....nose is light with mainly yeast notes and some apples...body is firm and tight...carbonation seems perfect....boy is this smooth...no hint of the 9% ABV...very full-flovored beer...perfect sweetness..this is one of the best tasting Belgians I've had...so smooth, but flavorfull....great Belgian malts...a malty beer all the way...reminds me of a high quality Blonde Doppelbock made Belgian style.....some grassy hops are in the background but very small..Unibroue continues to impress me...this is one of the best beers I've had...

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Opened the 341 ml bottle and poured into a tulip, was a cloudy lt. gold, that had a nice head that reduced to a very nice lacing.

The aroma was complex light hints of spices and fruits and alcohol, well balanced.

Tasted as the aroma suggested no surprises here mild fruits, spices, honey, barest hint of alcohol that left hardly any unpleasant after taste.

Medium to thin body, medium carbination, that leaves the mouth clean!

Overall I will revisit this one often it could become a favorite.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was talking to the guy at my local beer store and he asked if there was anything that I liked and he didn't have. I mentioned Unibroue, la fin du monde in particular, and lo and behold a couple weeks later there it was along with maudite, chambley noir, and don de dieu. So thanks a lot Josh, on to the review.

I love this beer, even the packaging is beautiful. But when it hits the glass it looks like liquid gold. Slightly hazy with a pillowy white top that slowly drops down leaving sticky patches all over the glass, it begs to be enjoyed. The smell is fruity, like overripe peaches, and just a little boozy. The taste is sweet nectar. Light and fruity to open, given way to a slight yeasty flavor, while the great carbonation keeps it crisp. The alcohol is very well hidden, just an afterthought of the sip. One of my top beers.

This is a great one !
Poured out a hazy , slightly orange gold...a very active head ( it was bubbling out of the neck ).Head settles down to a collar in a Duvel chalice.
Smells very fruity with some clove and yeast...really nice.
Taste is fantastic...especially as it warms up...very complex..must be every tangy fruit flavor I've ever had blended into this..balanced very well with clove, alcohol, sugar and hops.
Mouthfeel is light-medium with a pretty smooth, velvety, micro carbonation. Great.
Very drinkable...another amazing Unibroue...boy , can they make beer!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a chalice.

A- I added the yeast, now Ive got TONS of floaties suspended in a totally opaque apple juice colored beer. The head fizzed up briefly but Im getting absolutely no retention. (Im starting to think its because of my glass).

S- The yeast is obvious, creating a dusty, musty, banana scent up front. Behind the yeast is some tart cider like notes of apple and pear.

T- The sweetness is juicy and somewhat tart. Cider, pear, and some tropical fruit comes to mind. Yeast comes through in the middle, manifesting itself as a peppery spice as well as banana. Bitterness is low and only apparent on the finish and aftertaste.

M- I think by adding the yeast the mouthfeel gets fuller. Carbonation is in the medium range and quite sharp and prickly.

D- Very nice and complex. Alcohol levels are approaching high. Im feeling their effects after half a glass, so this is a sipper for sure. I dont like bitterness, I prefer sweetness so this beer is going down very well. I wish I had a 750ml rather than a 12oz.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet. It is one of my favorite "belguim type" beers. I met the people from Unibroue in Telluride @ the blues & brew festival in 2008 and have been sold ever since.
A- Cloudy yeasty straw/golden yellow pours w/ 1 figure (sometimes more) white fluffy head.
A- yeasty fruity (no fruit added) lightly spicy
t- mmmm mmmm good. clean
m- carbonation is a little on the high side. This is more truely the champaigne of beers.
d- I do go out of my way to buy this beer. it is very drinkable with caution for the high abv of 9%.
Great Golden Triple!!