Follow our progress ...

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada | website

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,924 | Ratings: 9,843
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Opened the 341 ml bottle and poured into a tulip, was a cloudy lt. gold, that had a nice head that reduced to a very nice lacing.

The aroma was complex light hints of spices and fruits and alcohol, well balanced.

Tasted as the aroma suggested no surprises here mild fruits, spices, honey, barest hint of alcohol that left hardly any unpleasant after taste.

Medium to thin body, medium carbination, that leaves the mouth clean!

Overall I will revisit this one often it could become a favorite.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was talking to the guy at my local beer store and he asked if there was anything that I liked and he didn't have. I mentioned Unibroue, la fin du monde in particular, and lo and behold a couple weeks later there it was along with maudite, chambley noir, and don de dieu. So thanks a lot Josh, on to the review.

I love this beer, even the packaging is beautiful. But when it hits the glass it looks like liquid gold. Slightly hazy with a pillowy white top that slowly drops down leaving sticky patches all over the glass, it begs to be enjoyed. The smell is fruity, like overripe peaches, and just a little boozy. The taste is sweet nectar. Light and fruity to open, given way to a slight yeasty flavor, while the great carbonation keeps it crisp. The alcohol is very well hidden, just an afterthought of the sip. One of my top beers.

This is a great one !
Poured out a hazy , slightly orange gold...a very active head ( it was bubbling out of the neck ).Head settles down to a collar in a Duvel chalice.
Smells very fruity with some clove and yeast...really nice.
Taste is fantastic...especially as it warms up...very complex..must be every tangy fruit flavor I've ever had blended into this..balanced very well with clove, alcohol, sugar and hops.
Mouthfeel is light-medium with a pretty smooth, velvety, micro carbonation. Great.
Very drinkable...another amazing Unibroue...boy , can they make beer!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a chalice.

A- I added the yeast, now Ive got TONS of floaties suspended in a totally opaque apple juice colored beer. The head fizzed up briefly but Im getting absolutely no retention. (Im starting to think its because of my glass).

S- The yeast is obvious, creating a dusty, musty, banana scent up front. Behind the yeast is some tart cider like notes of apple and pear.

T- The sweetness is juicy and somewhat tart. Cider, pear, and some tropical fruit comes to mind. Yeast comes through in the middle, manifesting itself as a peppery spice as well as banana. Bitterness is low and only apparent on the finish and aftertaste.

M- I think by adding the yeast the mouthfeel gets fuller. Carbonation is in the medium range and quite sharp and prickly.

D- Very nice and complex. Alcohol levels are approaching high. Im feeling their effects after half a glass, so this is a sipper for sure. I dont like bitterness, I prefer sweetness so this beer is going down very well. I wish I had a 750ml rather than a 12oz.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet. It is one of my favorite "belguim type" beers. I met the people from Unibroue in Telluride @ the blues & brew festival in 2008 and have been sold ever since.
A- Cloudy yeasty straw/golden yellow pours w/ 1 figure (sometimes more) white fluffy head.
A- yeasty fruity (no fruit added) lightly spicy
t- mmmm mmmm good. clean
m- carbonation is a little on the high side. This is more truely the champaigne of beers.
d- I do go out of my way to buy this beer. it is very drinkable with caution for the high abv of 9%.
Great Golden Triple!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: pours a graet golden straw color with a small white head

S:Floral and sweetness, maybe honey

T:Fantastic, malty sweetness, throughout, with a little hop ending. GREAT!

M: Smooth, none offensive.

D: This is scary how drinkable this is at 9%. I will recommend this to everyone looking for a world class tripel

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a hazy light golden-orange. Rocky white head that gives way to minor lacing.

S - Nose of candied fruits. Bananas, clove. Faint alcohol in the back.

T - Sweet and lush. Hard to pin down the malts that form a solid backdrop to the flavors, subtle caramel. Clove spice and plenty of fruit esters: bananas, pear, light flavors. A profound balance. Alcohol warmth with every retro-olfaction. The hops presence, like the depth of the alcohol, is hiding in the back and adds to the very crisp and dry finish.

M - Medium, carbonated, refreshing.

O - Outstanding Belgian. Exactly what a Tripel should be.

4.7/5  rDev +9%

A: Beautiful pale orange, with effervescence utterly filling the area of the glass. Bubbles rise to the surface in rapid unison like diving beetles gasping for...more La Fin Du Monde? I've read some other reviews on this brew, and a few folks mention a lack of head and/or lacing. I am having the opposite experience. My glass is coated in lace, and there is still 1/4 inch head left after 15 minutes.

S: The first whiff made my mouth water. That's always a good sign. Belgian yeast, clove, oranges, banana, spices, citrus. There's a lot going on here, for sure.

T: Absolutely delicious. Incredibly complex, this is one of my my go to beers. Spices and citrus blended beautifully, followed by warming alcohol. There is a yeasty, bread-like quality that I enjoy very much.

M: So smooth. Great carbonation level. Alcohol blended in perfectly.

D: So tasty and easy to drink, I could drink this all night...and the next...and the next. The 9% alcohol, while not overwhelming, will sneak up on you in a hurry.

Notes: This beer is world class and very accessible. One of my all time favorites.

4.7/5  rDev +9%

Appearance: Pale yellow color with a dense gold in the center. A head that is evidence of the amount of effervescent characters in the brew with is frothy carbonation.

Smell: Combinations of citrus, banana, vanilla and clove/cinnamon like flavors that are mild but noticeable.

Taste: Like a lot of Unibroue brews, it is greatly carbonated and that leads to a nice combination with the dryness of the malts and the excessive unique flavors of banana, vanilla, clove/cinnamon and citrus notes.

Mouthfeel: Very crisp and clean with the effervescent characteristics. The flavors are in no way excessive to become overpowering throughout the mouth.

Drinkability: This brew is dangerously drinkable. The alcohol is insanely masked by the great combinations of spicy and fruity flavors.

4.7/5  rDev +9%

12 ounce bottle purchased at the North Coast Co-op in Arcata, California.

Pours deep yellow, very cloudy with carbonation bubbles ascending steadily. Big, sudsy inch-thick head that's leaving a creamy band of lace around the glass.

Smell:

Opens with peppery notes. Sweet malts follow, leading into lemon rinds, fried bananas in caramel sauce, and fresh bread.

Taste:

Malts blanket the tongue. Alcohol and spiciness -- gentle hops and citrus -- crowd in and find their place. Aftertaste is of hops and lingering alcohol sharpness, warming my throat and stomach. Wow, that spiciness, I feel it behind my nose, pleasantly, like wasabi without the wasabi, just the tingling warmth in the sinuses.

Mouthfeel is perfectly creamy, rich, holds up like it should under the weight of so many loud flavors.

This is a beer to be taken seriously -- confident and dead-on delicious.

La Fin Du Monde, translated into English means End Of The World -- according to my roommate who studies French. The name, audacious as it is, along with the apocalyptic label graphic, fits this beer like a perfect pair of devil horns.

If the world were ending and I had to choose a handful of beers to die with, I would definitely consider this one. It's the best of the pale Belgians I've tried so far.

High ABV is why I'm scoring taste and drinkability with a 4.5.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful radiant golden color with fizzy white head. Alcohol, orange peels, citrus, light fruit, apple skins, and cloves in the aroma. Wow, taste is quite the eye opener. Warming alcohol, spices, fresh-squeezed citrus rivers, then faint hops in the end. Crisp and fizzy in the mouth and greatly refreshing. Incredibly flavored and a sure delicacy to be considered.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Golden/Yellowish color with a big foamy head
Lots of small bubbles were trailing for some fresh air.
The taste of this beer is ... hmmm ... really good.
Lots of spices, bananas, fresh bread maybe pears too.
The alcohol is present but not overwhelming all the flavours.
It is one of my many favorites around here in Montreal.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my first beer from Unibroue... these guys are canadian?!

wow

I've always liked Tripels, but this beer just made Tripels my favorite style. Woody, sticky, light citrus, just about everything I've expected in Tripel... just better! I can see why this beer is in the top 100.

4.7/5  rDev +9%

A: Poured into a pint glass, the beer has an appealing color somewhere between yellow and orange. It makes you think of the slightly citrusy flavor you will exoerience. Depending on how delicately and patiently you pour it, there can be a lot or virtually no head. I had about a centimeter of head that fizzled down to a thin layer that persisted throughout drinking.

S: One of my favorite aspects of this beer. Citrus and yeast with a slight malt scent and some spice. Very inviting.

T: Also awesome. Fruity and citrusy but with a spice (I assume this is actually from the 9% alcohol). Slight bitterness but not distracting from the overall flavor. Very satisfying and drinkable yet with a lot of flavor.

F: In my opinion this is the beer's weakest point. Still feels great, but some beers are certainly better. Almost creamy with a pleasant carbonation. The alcohol has a very slight kick, but much more disguised than you might expect in a 9% beer. Nice, but not quite perfect.

O: If you haven't tried this, you really have to. Very worth the positive ratings it receives. One of the best beers I've tried to date.

4.71/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from a bomber I've had for over a year. Best before 10-15-11 is printed on the bottle.

A - Nice two finger head with a golden color. clear and transparent. it is heavily carbonated and bubbles like a test tube in a mad scientist's lab. Very nice lacing until the end.

S- clear smell of spices and something else going on I can't quite put my finger on but definitely pleasant.

T- the taste of spices is as prominent as the smell. Definitely fruity with a strong sensation of alcohol. For some reason though, despite it's strength, it's very tasty and not unpleasant.

M - slightly on the thin side, but the carbonation adds a depth of character that makes this enjoyable to drink.

D- very drinkable although given how much you can taste the alcohol, almost two strong to have more than a bomber although it certainly screams "drink 5 or 6 glasses of me."

All around a great beer and my favorite from Unibroue.

4.71/5  rDev +9.3%

One of my favorite beers as you might tell by the grading.

The look of this beer is incredible. Glowing pale yellow color with swirls of tiny yeast clouds and a dense rocky white head. Great floral nose with a slight spicy character. The flavor is rich but light, and the alcohol isn't as punchy as you might expect for a beer with 9% alcohol.

This one also works great in cooking. I've made a vinagarette for a pear/goat cheese/walnut salad that MADE valentines day dinner this last year.

This is the best beer coming out of Canada.

4.71/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz cold bottle into pint glass, unintelligible date code

Appearance - Hazy dark golden, 1.5 finger head recedes to thin foam cap and stays, decent lacing, looks enticing.

Smell - Just amazingly harmonius with fruity, yeasty, spicy goodness aplenty! It's got a unique smell to me... sweet bubblegum or something, but light and airy. Delicious.

Feel/Taste - Lively carb, tingly, full body but carb makes it seem much lighter. Where is the alcohol here? Very well hidden. Taste follows the nose perfectly with fruity yeast, spicy coriander, and relatively light bready malt. Alcohol becomes just feintly apparant as it warms, and finishes just off dry.

Overall - Delicious. This stuff is dangerously easy to drink with the 9% ABV hardly there. I haven't had a great deal of tripels, but this is easily the best so far. The flavor and body is just so harmonious.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Unibroue - La Fin Du Monde

An oldie but a goody, I realized I had never reviewed this one.

Look - Pours a pale golden with a copper tinge, slightly hazy, with a foamy/fizzy head that dissipates quickly. Very little lacing, maybe a pinky or so of retention.

Smell - Belgian yeast sour with malt backbone. Spices are prevalent. Fruits complex. Apple, pineapple and other tropicals like mango, banana, and also cloves. Lots there. Phenomenal aroma, right up there with Allagash Tripel.

Taste - Wow! A blast of juicy fruits, then sour Belgian yeast, then rides into clove spice. Dissecting the fruits yields pineapple, melon, banana, pears, maybe a hint of mango as well.

Mouthfeel - Somewhat hot in the mouth and tummy, but the 9% is otherwise quite well hidden. Remarkably light finish for a Tripel. Great drinkability. Medium carbonation.

Overall - This is a top-of-the-line Tripel. Thoroughly enjoyed and would definitely recommend for those into this style.

4.71/5  rDev +9.3%

Bottle: Twist top brown bottle with silver foil. Lists “Ale on Lees”, 9% abv., triple fermentation, a blend of yeasts, translation of La Fin du Monde (the end of the world) glass suggestion (tulip, not flute) and a best by 05-10-07 (sampled in 08-04).
Aroma: Strongly of yeast, with a mild peppery spice. Vanilla and nutmeg notes in the aroma as well.
Appearance: A hazy peach nectar body topped by the fluffiest creamy paper white head. Strong carbonation streams noted. Stubborn patches of lace fight gravity as I join with this delightful brew.
Flavor: Heavenly. A spiced fruit flavor. The fruit goes for the golden, apricot, honeydew melon, dates, and oranges. The spices are light and complimentary; nutmeg, light coriander, vanilla. There is a drying, almost dusty aftertaste that lingers as a shadow of itself. No alcohol flavors noted until the beer warms a bit, but fair amounts of the Belgian yeast flavor, and a light tea like flavor.
Mouthfeel: Silky heavy body, but no chew with a dry, lip smacking finish.
Overall Impression: This is a personal favorite and I saved it to put a splash into my mug for my 250th karma point. This beer turned me on to Belgian styles, and made me a HUGE fan of Unibroue in general. The yeast ties it to its cousins Trois Pistoles and Don de Dieu, but La Fin is drier, and cleaner. This is a great “special occasion” beer. I’ve tried to turn a few people on to great beer with this one, but it’s a bit heavy and strong for most of the macro drinking crowd. Personally, this rocked my world at first taste. While this isn’t a “perfect 5” beer, it’s darn close. Drinkability in the short term is hampered by the heavy handed 9% abv. but I tend to buy this stuff by the case. I can’t recommend this strongly enough to my fellow BA’s that may not have tried this. It’s a MUST TASTE beer.

4.71/5  rDev +9.3%

This is a great beer, I pass this over way too many times, incredibly flavorful and looks amazing.

The beer pours a beautiful by the book hazy orange and gold color with a head that just will not die, a huge fluffy bone white beauty. Outstanding.

The smell is not huge, but has a nice yeasty mix of flavors with some nice fruity esters and bubble gum sweetness, a great spicy clove note too, it's really quite nice.

The beer just bursts with flavors, an outstanding note of clove and coriander with some great sweet and savory malt and taffy bubble gum like flavors, great apple, grape, banana, and stone fruit flavors too. It's super rich and the alcohol is covered in a delectably sweet blanket without any heat but only adding complexities and big flavors. I can't think of any tripels I've enjoyed more than this in flavor.

The feel strikes a great balance of bubbly and great medium body. No burn but only a long lingering complex flavor.

An outstanding beer, I can see why even though this is not rare by any means, this beer is still clinging to its place in the top 100.

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

This is a really good dark Belgian beer. Maybe the best I have tried that is not from a monastery. If you get a chance try this beer as soon as you can. Here is my opinion of taste - sweet initial taste goes down nice and smooth. You knew from the warm feeling that you have a "strong" beer, but you would not know it from the taste.

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

Caged and corked 750 ml bottle with very cool graphics, a best before date and even a suggested serving glass (tulip), which is exactly what I used. The cork comes off with a very nice resounding "thump", which foreshadows that this is not an ordinary beer. A moderately heavy pour reveals an appearance that is not too out of the ordinary, it's a apricot/darkish yellow, but there is a good sized head and some short-lived lacing. The taste is where this beer really shines. It's at once smooth and creamy, with some orange and tangerine tastes in there, but it also has some zest and fizziness. It also has a great smell, and reminds me of a lighter version of a Chimay or a Duvel. I really liked this beer, and it was reasonably priced (6.00 for a 750 ml).

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

I have had this beer a number of times. I normally buy the beer in the large bottle, the beer has an excellent and clean taste which actually expands in your mouth with a bouquet as some would describe wines. I recommend this beer to anyone who would like a beer for a special occasion.

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

I poured this 12 oz. bottle into a Chimay chalice. Best by February 2, 2013.

A: cloudy honey gold color, the white head quickly falls into a fine Belgian-style cap with good lacing.

S: banana, plenty of Belgian fruity esters, apricot, clove, spice, the malt aroma alternates between bread and cracker-like, the hop note is floral (honeysuckle?).

T: there is an explosion of ripe and overripe fruit up front, including banana, apple, apricot, and grape, the middle is rich, spicy, and has a vanilla/oak core, the finish is long, luxurious, and spicy/earthy. This is exactly how a Belgian Tripel should taste.

M: medium-bodied, ultra-silky texture (imagine the bed linens at a 5-star hotel), and moderate to plentiful carbonation with a pleasant dry finish.

O: a fabulous rendition of the Belgian Tripel, and one that I will definitely seek out again.

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Haven't had this in years and was surprised by how much I loved it. Its a light orangey, yellow straw color with an incredibly soft white head and a little lacing. The smell is all stone fruits at first, Belgian yeast spiciness (white pepper, clove), banana, a little honey, vanilla and citrus peel. The taste follows the smell starting with strong peach and stone fruit notes, some candied pineapple, sweet honey, banana, and the spice profile grew as the beer warmed. A little bit of classic bubblegum flavor started to come out a bit too alongside of the clove. No traces of the booze. The clove was unique in that you would taste it and then feel all over the mouth like the way in which you feel clove. Really smooth with high level of carbonation. Could of drank this all night. Again, I had sort of considered this a gateway beer and hadn't thought of it much in a while but I was so pleasantly surprised with this one - really wonderful still.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue