La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 9,168 | Reviews: 2,859
4.77/5  rDev +10.4%

Time to actually review one of my favorite beers. What can be said. An incredibly complex beer that is priced well and can always be found. The mouthfeel is full with nice acidity to keep it alive. Bold dry malt right in the middle. Just a hint of the alcohol but this is so drinkable and refreshing, it could be dangerous.

4.77/5  rDev +10.4%

La Fin Du Monde translates as “The End of the World” and if you ad “till” on the front, that is exactly how long I would drink this beer if I could.

I’ve come to expect… No… demand high quality (and high alcohol) beers from Unibroue, but somehow I am still surprised by the amount my mouth waters when I simply think about this beer. Did I mention I like it a lot? Good.

The beer sings of its thickness on the way out of the bottle, pouring out almost like coffee creamer. The shade is quite an attractive antique gold, and the beer quickly develops a very generous frothy head. The head reduces almost as quickly as it formed, but a small amount is maintained due to the rapidly rising bubbles. The smell is staggering – an estery banana / vanilla nose that sends my tastebuds to watering. A fruity-hoppiness is also present as well as some lemony citrus. The smell of alcohol is also heavy, no doubt due to the hefty ABV.

The beer’s taste is somehow even better than its nose. A lemon tang brings up the front, smoothly blending into a sweet vanilla, banana and clove middle with a touch of nutmeg. The beer finishes up with a lingering hop taste, balancing the sweet start nicely. The mouthfeel is absolutely superb. Bright and effervescent and surprisingly creamy it slides down the throat like a velvet glove. You’ll have to excuse me for waxing poetic, but I feel that cheesiness can give way to accurate description in this case.

I cannot say enough good things about this beer. If not for the high ABV, I could drink this all night.

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: 2 inches of thick foam that looks (and tastes) like cappuccino foam. The foam fades away fairly quickly though, leaving a half an inch at the top of the glass. Coats the side of the glass with thick lacing throughout. La Fin Du Monde is pale yellow with a pink rosy tint, a trend I'm seeing in Belgian-style beers. This beer tends to look darker and pinker towards the top of the glass, and pure yellow at the bottom. As for the carbonation, I've never seen such an active beer. The bubbles don't merely float to the top and out of the glass, but they swirl like a storm throughout the entire drink, keeping it fresh and not flat. Unmatched.

Smell: Thick, starchy fruit. Bananas and a bit of acidity. Definitely some fermented grapes like a good (very) strong fine wine. Maybe some spiced apple as well?

Taste/Mouthfeel: Fairly acidic. Mostly bitter wine grapes with banana malt in the finish. The grapes translate into moderate hops while the banana translate into with yeasty malts. Despite the malty finish, the hops reasonate, especially towards the end. Seems a bit watery in the finish, but I'm not really complaining, and I'm only saying that because I'm really struggling to find something wrong with this. As you drink the finish gets even smoother so no worries here. Peppery bite to finish.

Drinkability: To quote Keri Hilson and Kanye West, "It knocks you down" very quickly, so definitely sip this. I recently tried Delirum Tremens, which has more alcohol. I have to say I definitely feel this quicker. Drink with caution.

Overall: One of the most beautiful beers out there in any way.

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A- Cloudy golden gem. Thin white head with surface and rim lacing lasting for the entire session. Beautiful beer.

S- Excellent - floral, light malt, sweet banana and light mineral.

T- Balanced - Malt, well hidden alcohol, bready, banana, some yeast. beautiful finish.

M- Perfect for me. medium balance, medium carbonation, mouth watering finish, not overly dry. Comparable to an excellent Champaign.

O-I really like this beer. Unibroue has done and excellent job producing a this quality triple. Looking forward to visiting this Brewery in the future and trying more of their styles. Will pass on to my friends and buy a few more to age.

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

Hell yeah! My absolute favorite beer! High gravity at its best. I hate IPA'sand everybeer that is super hoppy. This is thebest beer EVER!

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

This was definitely a piece of heaven on earth. I purchased a 4 pack from my favorite beer haven near the Brooklyn Brewery and I gladly took my prize home.
The look is an amber like color with a head that resists fading for as long as it can until settling into a sticky lace. The smell reminded me of fruits,herbs and something aromatic and pleasant.
The taste was the best part and it tasted almost as it smelled. It was fruity, clove like with a strong kick of alcohol and constantly reminds one that it must be respected.
The feel has very medium carbonation and goes down as smooth as a Brew of this strength can.
The Malts provide excellent balance to this superior brew.
Spicy yet tasty with a fruit/dry finish that is almost perfect.

Notes: If one can find this,it should be bought. It is one for the ages and truly remarkable.

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

Bought a 750 mi bottle of La Fin Du Monde after reading about it in a book 300 Beers To Try Before You Die, a gift from my daughter, of course I had to double check with all the beer tasters at beer advocate.com and it was listed in best of B.A.

I poured the first glass a little to hard, go easy it pours a huge pillowy white head. The smell of citrus and pine very nice, the mouth feel very crisp and light .

The taste spicy with hints of grapefruit and peppery notes very refreshing reminds me of Kasteels Belgium triple ale.

Tonight I saw a mixed eight pack of Unibroue ales, I will be trying them soon.

!2 onz amber bottle

A: Pale caramel color with small with foamy head

S: Citrus and spicy sweet

T: Citrus, spices with a great after taste

M; Feels good in the mouth

O: More that i expected. For years I thought this beer was overated but man,this is awesome. Top 5 better beer ever for me. Cant wait to have it again.

4.79/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 75cl bottle into a La Fin Du Monde tulip glass

A triple in style and at 9% no slouch either! Cloudy golden orange in colour which pours with a thick creamy head that lasted longer than it took me to drink it!

The smell is very fruity with lots of Orange and banana on the nose with a clove spice to finish. On smell alone I would give this 10/10!

This hits your tastebuds like not many beers. There is so much going on - The fruit is to the fore in the mouth but when you swallow the spice kicks in. Very creamy as it goes down (reminds me of Chimay White with the creaminess) and all I want to do is fill my mouth again!

The alcohol is there on the nose but the beer is so balanced in the mouth that you could really get in trouble after a couple!

Absolutely gorgeous beer!

Unibroue make a couple of Belgian beers that would make those from the native land quiver in thier boots upon tasting. This just happens to be the best of them!

4.79/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a 750ml into a Spiegelau Snifter.

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a nice, full white head. Moderate lacing.

S: Fruity! I smell lemons, apples and other citrusy smells. Traces of some spices and malts.

T: Absolutely delicious! One of the best beers I've had the pleasure of having. Fruity notes all the way down rounded up by the yeast. Complex.

M: Very clean and crisp with the perfect carbonation to compliment. You will wan't to drink it fast and keep drinking it! Don't forget to enjoy it though!

D: See mouthfeel. What can I say? This beer is perfect.

4.79/5  rDev +10.9%

Best by date of 3/18/05. Poured a fizzy bubbly pale golden color. White head formed, but sank quickly. Smell was spicy, bready, yeast-dominant. Sweet scents slowly drifted upwards, along with a cidery fruitiness. Taste is unbelieveable. Peppery tartness, hint of alcohol, fades into a spicy dry finish. Mouthfeel is warm and smooth, not so much piqueing the interest of any particular sensation as much as massaging them all at once. This is one helluva beer, just wish the head lasted longer than 20 seconds.

4.79/5  rDev +10.9%

750ml corked & nearly locked down with a fasterner.
Poured a pale ale colour with some floaties. Not bad head retention with no real lacing, but gr8 carbonation
The lack of head & lacing was the only downside to this wonderful beer.
Honey malts, yeasty, bready in the aroma.
More spices like coriander & cloves in the flavour...this is incredibly smooth & moussey. The alocohol was evident yet very welcoming & added to its joy. No real bitterness or hops present.
Mouthy was creamy, alive & champagne mousse in carbonation.
This too me, has the same brilliance as La Chouffe, just so easy to enjoy & have way more that just one - although with the ABV sadly I was only restricted to a couple.
This would be magical if this had half the ABV but the same near orgasmic flavours & mouthfeel.
Oh Nelly!!

750 ml bottle from the LCBO for $5.75

pours hazy golden with a pure everlasting white head.

aromas of ripe citrus fruit, hops, and unibroue yeast.

the flavour progress in the following nature: light pale malts progress into a fruity body before the hops and yeast come in to totally complicate things to the point of stupidly good complex belgian inspired quebec made greatness.

in a word stunning.

i buy this ruglarily and have tried it both fresh and aged, bottled and on tap and you simply cant go wrong.

A-pour a pale yellow with a about a 1/2 inch head
S-very sweet with hints of fruits even tropical ones with no hint of alcohol even at 9%
T-a variety of fruits with a subtle yet perfect amount of spicyness/ tartness with a bit of the yeast contributing in the back ground the alcohol presence is well hindden behind the sweetness of the refreshing beer
M/D-very light and highly carbonated body even reguardless of the abv (which is not even noted while drinking the beer) which combined with its exceptional taste makes this a highly drinkable beer

4.79/5  rDev +10.9%

A: Hazy golden-yellow with a bubbly, fizzy, white head that fades into very little lace and retention.

S: I find Belgians difficult to dissect because they're so complex yet simple. I get candy sugar, malt and a bit of barn/straw/funk. Fantastic is one word.

T: Wow. I've never been a big fan of this style but this is special. Malty, sweet, sugary, floral, fruity. A joy to drink.

M: Very sweet but not cloying. Bright, fresh, malty. Big carbonation.

O: This beer has been executed perfectly. While I'm not a regular drinker of Tripels, this makes me appreciate the style and helps me understand the intentions of other breweries when they attempt to brew one.

4.79/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer has a fantastic pour right out of the bottle! Rich head followed by a great golden ale has just the right right amount of spices to make you think about it. At first my thought were what is this but as I took a sip I began to notice the intricate spices hidden within. At the time of this writing I would say this beer is better than my previous favorite of Chimay (Blue).

4.79/5  rDev +10.9%

After a long weekend of moving trucks and hauling boxes, some friends and I sat down at the Winking Lizard for beer and pizza.

A: La Fin Du Monde poured a yellow/orange with a perfect untampered cloudiness. The head was soft and billowy with noticeable packets of air, hinting at the sparkle to come.

S: Amazing in the nose! Apricot, nectarine and a beautiful balance between sweet and spicy. Correctly present. The aroma wasn't too faint nor too dominant. I thought of trails and evergreens.

T: Smack your momma good. The head tickled my upper lip and the spicy citrus washed over my tongue. Being such a well-balanced flavor profile, my entire tongue was engaged.

M: Sparkling and alive, but not heavy. Most beers I have tasted that were this alive in the mouth were heavy in it as well. This beer was pristine, almost delicate without losing any presence.

D: I was not overpowered by the ABV and the beer left enough room for a second. Would enjoy again, in a heartbeat!

4.79/5  rDev +10.9%

A - Pours a hazy gold with a rich white head that dissipates slowly, leaving a moderate amount of lacing.

S - A whirlwind of complexity created by aromas of apple, white grape, clove, citrus, coriander, and a kiss of floral hops. Simply beautiful!

T - Tart green apple flavors dominate up front, complimented by citrus and spices. A touch of hop bitterness comes through in the finish, balanced with some sweet flavors of light fruit and additional spice.

M - Full-bodied and smooth, yet finishes crisp and clean thanks to an ample amount of carbonation. An earthy feel also present thanks to the yeast.

D - Hands-down my favorite Tripel. I have a lot of respect for Unibroue, and this beer is one of my primary reasons for it. It's simply fantastic. It's enjoyable, smooth, and very easy to drink.

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Ok...here I am not worthy.
Poured a cloudy orange amber that almost glowed in the glass with a gorgeous super white head that took forever to melt to a nice ring lacing.
The aroma was incredible...literally, I could smell this forever and still not be able to describe it. Cloves, tangerines, mandarin oranges, bread yeast, and alcohol.
The mouthfeel was so full of tiny carbonation it was almost hard to get to the flavors. Again, tangerines, cloves, a bit of lemon, and bread yeast.
Aftertaste is fresh and clean from a slight citrus drying. The tangerine/orange flavor just goes on forever.
This is one incredible beer.
Again I could smell this forever.

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

12 ounce bottle with best-before date of October 5th 2007.

Pours a cloudy golden-yellow with huge creamy white head, plenty of carbonation, and very persistent lace along the glass. Smells appealingly of sweet citrus fruits blended with yeast and peppery spices. Flavors start with sweet fruits and pepper spice, develop into warming alcohol esters, and finish with a lovely drying yeastiness. Creamy in the mouth with strong carbonation. Superlatively appetizing and drinkable considering the high strength.

A fantastic Belgian strong pale ale! The first example I had was in a 750 ml bottle, which was only decent and perhaps not well-handled. The current 12 oz bottles are exceptionally fresh and incomparable beers.

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

A few of my beer-geek friends were sitting around drinking beer (of course), and talking about some of our favorites. The question came up about which beer we choose if we could only have one beer for the rest of our lives. Being a malt-fiend, I chose some huge dark beer like St. Bernardus Abt. 12, but three folks--without hearing each other--independently came up with La Fin du Monde from Canadian brewer Unibroue. I thought that was an odd response, but I had one for the first time since that conversation--in Montreal with a giant plate of poutine, no less--and I get why they picked it.

La Fin du Monde is officially a "triple fermentation Golden Ale." Like the best Belgian tripels, it's a strong pale ale that perfectly blends malt and hops. It's a big beer at 9% alc./vol., but not overpowering. It flavorful but not too spicy. It's certainly not the very best beer in the world, but it would be hard to find one that better incorporates all the best things about beer. "This beer is brewed to honour of the great explorers, who believed they had reached the end of the world when they discovered America," Unibroue says on their website. One could argue that after La Fin du Monde, there's less of a need to keep searching for that desert island beer.

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

This was yet another christmas present.

Appearance- golden color, wonderful head, It was beautiful lol

Smell- bread, citrus fruit

Taste- bit of spice in the beginning, citrus fruit

Mouthfeel- medium bodied, nice carbonation

Drinkability- It was really good. I enjoyed it immensely.

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

A: Murky, rich yellow with a nice foamy head that holds up nicely, and leaves a great lace trim and sheet.

S: Fresh apple peel, some mild spices and alcohol notes. Almost a whiff of the the syrup canned tangerines are stored in. All around, a nice and gentle aroma.

T: A similar 'tangerine syrup'/light peach taste, with peppery notes and clove flavours. A nice, somewhat complex blend of flavours all very nicely balanced with one another. Finishes a little peppery, with the warming alcohol on the way down.

M + D: Somewhat expressive, with a good zip of carbonation... and crisp. A medium body on there that makes for an easier drink. Sipping moderately, the flavours linger in the mouth to be savoured for some time in between. A fine drink, and one I'd like to keep on hand for social occasions.

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Not suprised to see this at the top of the Tripel list, Definetly my favorite of the style!
Medium to deep gold with some yeasty haze happening,two finger head looked stellar but faded out fairly quickly.
Smelled a little bready with some spices going on,touch of skunk with fruity action as well!
Very sweet in flavor up front with a touch of heat and spice on the backside ,pleasant citrus throughout,Beautiful!
Heavy bombbardment of the taste buds,all good a little thick, but carbonation eases that out,NICE!
Overall balance and tastiness keeps me wanting more and more~ I think I'll have another, GREAT STUFF!

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

750ml bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a hazy, golden yellow. Starts with a half inch of off white head, which leaves a nice amount of lace.

Smells floral, with a touch of honey sweetness. Also some fruit and alcohol.

Tastes sweet and smooth. Alcohol warms things up a bit, and a touch of hops on the back end.

Extremely smooth mouthfeel. Carbonation is perfect.

Good beer, all around.