La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,829 | Hads: 9,305
4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

A metric 750ml bottle that like other UB offerings has a strange, but quite striking, label.

The Cork was pulled & a gunmetal smoke lingered for a while in the neck, rose & swayed back & forth like an Indian King Cobra whilst peering at the outside world. I wondered if a Genie would appear & grant me three wishes. Sadly, it did not, & eventually the smoke dispersed as I poured the beer into a Duvel glass.

Great looks! This is the consummate incredibly fantastic looking Supermodel; a perfect formed curvaceous tanned body, soft blonde hair and deep ocean-blue eyes – but somehow, you are always drawn to the mole on her top lip. The slight imperfection of the milky hazed golden translucent body of this beer just makes this offering more real, understandable and so damn sexy. The slightly hazed golden color in the Duvel glass also seems so appropriate – a long lost cousin perhaps? Tastes like it.

A massive head builds at first, then like the ‘rubber-neckers’ at an accident when they realize no-one has been maimed, or died – they soon disperse. The head rescinds to a thin light uni-molecular covering, with a clinging white halo. Some lace, but not much.

Tastes are so refreshing, fruity pineapples mixed with lashings of fresh wheat beer infused with black pepper, clove impregnated apples, pears and some juicy fleshy mangos.

Massive mouthfeel that is partly attributable to the high inherent carbonation I feel. This beer dances on the mouth like a Lap Dancer that spies your wallet full of Money. Not that I would know – I have never had a wallet full of money.

The finish is like spending $300 on a meal for your loved one, it is enjoyable, makes you feel good, but only you know it ever happened, it was experienced, but it is only in your own minds and memories - you lost the receipt as well, so have no proof. Damn. I know this beer is great, indeed, it is a Classic. It’s just so hard to prove it.

Definitely Belgium in Style,
Duvelian in Looks and Pedigree,
Wheat Beer in Education and Influence,
– But clearly, VERY “Unibroue” in Character.

This is no Dumb Blonde – Quite Stupendous.
An Aston-Martin of the Beer World; Class, Individuality, Uniqueness and Presence.

"...Except you , you were talking about the end of the world….
I took the money, I spiked your drink,
You miss too much these days if you stop to think,
You led me on with those innocent eyes,
You know I love the element of surprise…..”

“The End of the World” ????
– well, only when supplies of this beer Run Out for Ever. (2,568 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

The colour is orange-pale brown-yellow. The liquid is somewhat cloudy. The foam is at first enormous (almost like a Duvel), but it slowly sinks down to a finger thick uneven head without much lacing.

The smell is fruity with notes of spices and sweet malt. Oh, I like it! There are notes of bitter citric fruits, oat cookies, herbs (Basilica? Cloves?), brown sugar, spring flowers and a gentle sour note. Like a Hoegaarden Wit with extra everything!

Do I dare to taste? Oh yes. Wheat, yeast, herbs, sourness, bitter hops, citric fruits. And everything just works out great! Lots of Belgian flavours, with a particular flavour if bitter oranges and wheat ale. But, although there are lots of flavours and alcohol like a weak wine, it is very drinkable and not heavy at all. Impressive stuff. The loooong aftertaste is fruity with some hoppy flavours, wheat flour, tangerines and some matured strong wine.

The carbonation is strong (but quickly fading) with small bubbles. It tickles your tounge, but it is in no way sharp.

A truly great beer, and a great Belgian beer from Canada?Boyam I pleasantly surprised! (1,122 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

One of my absolute favorite beers. I am surprised I havent reviewed this one until now.

Poured into my St Bernardus Goblet. This beer looks very similar to its cousin, Don De Dieu. It pours a hazzy, medium gold, with a bright white, creamy head.

The trademark unibroue yeast is apparent from the first sniff. Apricots and earth dominate the nose.

This beer starts off semi-sweet and fruity; pears and apricots. Despite the apparent malt sweetness, this beer manages to feel fairly light and dry. A bit of grain in the finish with the tiniest amount of alcohol. This beer is amazing. To me it is a traditional Tripel, with super-charged yeast. The taste is uniquely Unibroue.

There are few beers a drinkable as this one. You barely notice that it is 9%. A true Gem, and a regular beer at this house. (802 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

A - I usually snub "appearance" as being an important factor in what makes a good beer. And perhaps it was after a few beers that I decided I loved the way this one looked, but I do. It has a wonderful dark, vibrant golden color.

S - The smell is great. It smells hoppier than it tastes, which is a bit off-putting, but generally strong with fruity undertones.

T - A wonderful combination of delicate and strong, complicated but not overly so. A hoppy yellow ale with strong notes of fruit and something I can't place. The end effect is particularly pleasing.

M - Good. Thinner than a stout, but thicker than a lager. Just a bit thicker than an October fest brew with a good amount of natural fiz.

O - Overall, great. This has been one of my favorite beers for years. While I don't think it is easy enough to be as popular to drink as Guiness, I think it has a perfectly balanced flavor, at least for my tastes. (915 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

I would have to say this is one of my favorite brews of all time. I really love this beer. Even the name is awesome: "La Fin Du Monde" is French for "End of the World."

I poured it into a glass and it immediately formed a thick, three-finger head. Bubbles continuously rise to the surface creating a nice lacing once the head has receded.

The smell is strong and fruity.

The taste is very malty, almost sweet but not quite. Very smooth going down, and the Belgian spice is notable at the finish. The high alcohol content is masked behind these immense flavors.

I am in love with this beer. (601 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Love, love this beer. The taste is phenomenal. The aroma makes my nose smile (if it could). The only reason it doesn't get perfect 5's is the high ABV. I want to be able to drink more of this beer in one sitting but 1 bottle does it for me. I'm so glad it is available year round at any decent bottle shop. (306 characters)

La Fin Du Monde
Tasted/reviewed @ DBA bottle>Chimay goblet, NOLA - 3/20/09 (afternoon)
I also had this @ the Bull Dog in Nawlins on 3/19/09 and used these notes also.
A 4.5 - Good head, great lacing reduces to nice collar. Golden honey in color.
S 4.5 - Sweet and mild spices. Ginger and clove notes. Clove notes are a solid aroma of this brew.
T 5.0 - Tastes follow smell, on wheat like malt base. Mild but sweet and clove-y. Clove is very present in taste. This tripel is a fine example at the Belgian skill to stealth the 9% ABV! Well hidden my neighboring Canadians!
MF 4.5 - Medium body, medium carbonation
D 5.0 - Dee-lish! I have been waiting for an opportunity to try this Tripel and it lived up to my expectations. It was excellent! (744 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours from 12oz bottle with very thick carbonated head which retained for a good amount of time. Cloudy, pale golden-orange color; overall gives the appearance of a newly opened champagne. Very nice.
Smells of a sweet/sour combination fermented yeast and cirtus with a breaded overnote.
Rich flavors of yeast, orange citrus and spiciness. Hop character is strong, which balances the yeast. Dry and astringent finish.
Dry yeast finish on the carbonation tip and hoppiness leave a tingling mouthfeel, vibrating off the middle of the tongue.
Very drinkable, one of the best tripels I have ever tasted..perhaps even richer than my original favorite from St Bernardus. Well done. (674 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

One of the best crisp beers I ever had. The crisp refreshing taste makes it an excellent choice with many foods. The pour is golden with a slight cloudy hue. Not to heavy whatsoever. I like the balance of a touch of white pepper, with mellow citrus/champagne like flavor. Be careful this is 9% alcohol, which you can't detect after its too late, have fun ;) (357 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

22 oz bomber with a born on date to ensure freshness.

Pours a golden ale somewhat like champagne with lots of carbonation and little lacing.

Faint scents of apple and lemon, other fruits apparent.

Smooth and carbonated very refreshing and has a lemon zest to it not like any I've had before. This is a great Belgian Pale and thought nothing would beat Duvel, I was wrong. I hope the end of the world is this good!!! (424 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Fruity, warm, full, tasty. More crisp and lively than a lot of high ABV Belgian-style ales. Goes down extremely easily, though, so watch yourself.

Pairs well with lighter meals, like white meats and grilled veggies.

An exceptional value in beer. At $6 for a 750-mL bottle, and less per oz for a four-pack of 12-oz, you won't do better. We can't buy it where we are right now (sigh), but we always buy out the store of this stuff when we go to the "big city." (460 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

pours a very leaden honey color, that has a very bubbly presence that accumulated a wonderful milk colored fluff head. is a nice beer on lees
Smells a bit like a warm citrus. a bit of apricots, and yeast. sweet notes that are creeping in the back.
Taste is almost the same as the smell. although the alcohol is masked perfectly. The sweetness is there to cover the warm and allows the tart to pull you back in. a bit of sweet fruits, and warm malt. you can taste some wheat faintly that is masked again perfectly by the sweetness.
Very well balanced of carbonation, and alcohol. this beer at 9% drinks unnervingly easy. (621 characters)

Serving type - Bottle

Appearance - Yellowish honey color, slight white head, very pretty in a glass

Smell - Very floral, lemon, banana, apples, peach, grapes. alcohol, oranges and spices

Taste - Starts off with a amazing combination of floral fruits, added spices, yeasts and wheat malts. Everything about this beer is balanced and you are able to taste and enjoy each flavor. Citric fruits add a bitterness, the yeast adds sweetness, and the malts add a bold wheaty flavor. Alcohol gives some nice warmth in the finish.

Mouthfeel - The first thing you get is the sweet fruits coating the tounge. Loads of grape and lemon. Some spices and yeasty sugars comes in next. Palate gets more of the same along with some wheat malts, and warmth alcohol. The finish is sweet, warm and fruity.

Drinkabilty - Simply amazing, such a tasty, well balanced and enjoyable beer. This is my standard triple, i havent had anything yet thats its equal. Nothing about it is overpowering, you really can enjoy everything it has to offer. World class, a must try for a craft beer drinker. (1,071 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

This has always been one of my favorite beers, and just recently had one for the first time in a long time. Poured from the 750 ml bottle and drank from a snifter.

A: A nice hazy amber color, reminds me of raw honey. A decent head which did not last too long.

S: Wonderfully light and citrusy, but not overpowering. Nice hints of spice as well. As the beer warmed, the aroma came through even more.

T: Fruit notes, but not overpowering. Has a finish that's always been hard for me to categorized. Clean aftertaste with excellent balance of yeast, malt, and citrus. Alcohol isn't overpowering.

M: Full and smooth, with even carbonation.

D: Very easy to drink, making it dangerous at 9%! An excellent cold weather beer. (723 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

A dangerous combination of delicious and strong. This is the most drinkable strong ale I've ever tasted. I would sometime like to sit down and drink three of these in a sitting.

Pours a hazy gold with a good-sized fluffy white head. Smells and tastes amazing; citric, fruity, spicy and yeasty! I'd put a Fin du Monde air freshener in my room if there were such a thing.

Amazingly smooth. This is my favorite in its category, and one of my favorite three beers... ever! (474 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

A: Hazy golden color. Two finger head; thick, creamy. Dissipates quickly, yet nobly, leaving a nice lacing. Tiny bubbles noticeable, giving the beer a playful character.

S: A wonderful balance between sweet and spicy. Notes of apple, citrus, some malt, and pepper.

T: Sweet on the front of the tongue, initially citrus-y; the 9% ABV makes itself apparent with a (inoffensive) metallic twang. Matures into notes of cherry and phenolic cloves and pepper. Leaves a warm feeling and a bitter, dry aftertaste.

M: Smooth and soft on the front, with a satisfactory weight. Carbonation tingles the back of the throat.

O: Wonderful. My first tasting of La Fin du Monde (as well as my first review). I think I've found a new favorite. (729 characters)

Served out of a 12 oz bottle

Appearance: A wonderful hazy golden, slightly orangish color with a foamy white head which dissipated without much lacing.

Smell: Fruity character with notes of clove, yeast, honey and some pepper.

Taste: Nicely balanced, smooth and creamy. Has a spicy, yeasty flavor with some sweet malts.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and full with medium carbonation. High alcohol content is not too invasive.

Drinkability: An easy to drink beer until the high abv catches up to you. (503 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Goblet from a bottle.

Appearance: A large foam head forms. The head slowly collapses and leaves sticky lacing. The body is a hazy dark straw.

Smell: Sweet and fruity. Alcohol esters sit behind an herbal array of scents.

Taste: The sweet and fruity flavors stand out after the first sip. The alcohol emerges in the aftertaste, along with the malts and spices. The malts create a smooth body for the spices to sit on.

Mouthfeel: Smooth body. Fairly carbonated, perfect for the style in my opinion.

Overall: La Fin Du Monde really stands out from other Tripel varieties. It packs an incredible amount of flavor. Certain friends of mine do not care for this beer because it can be a bit overwhelming. I pace myself when drinking this for a couple of reasons... One being the price, and another reason is because it has a complex flavor.

Bottom Line: Not wallet-friendly but definitely a brew that fans of the Tripel style need to try. (954 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours light amber from a 12 oz bottle. Head is big, bubbly, active, but fades quickly. Smell is delicious - lightly effervescent, spicy, bready, warm, maybe citrusy, definitely enjoyable. The taste is great, like, to the point that it makes some pretty phenomenal beers look pedestrian. It is as smooth as the finest stouts. Taste is clean at first, turning to a bubbly, spicy bread as it crosses the tongue, and finishing smooth. It clings heavily to the roof of the mouth and back of the tongue without ever even bordering on 'heavy'. The flavor stays with you long after the beer goes down, and it is appreciated by this lucky drinker.

This beer is absolutely world-class and I could either drink one every night or a series of them in one night. Thanks to the local beer store (Wine and Cheese in Clayton) for marking these down last week, or I would have waited even longer before trying it. (898 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle at Wolfgang Puck Grand Cafe in Lake Buena Vista (aka Orlando), FL with a best before date of 08-06-2006. I think I safely made it before this one went bad, but it was close. JK. Oh and they had the proper glassware for both La Fin Du Monde & Blanche De Chambly.

Poured a hazy, opaque pale yellow-orange with a big, foamy white head. Each sample left streams of lacing all around the glass, but they had some trouble with gravity.

Very fragrant. Roasted malt, yeast, citrus, esters, fruit, and caramel candy all over the nose. There were more scents I couldn't pick out. Very complex, yet very alluring and enticing. The scents could draw you to the end of the world, which is what the name means. (Even says so on the back label.)

The taste is just as complex and enticing as the nose. The pleasure begins with sweet roasted malt and citrus flavors that glide into yeast, dough, and orange savory elements that then dance on your tongue into esters and ever so slight hops for the finish. Medium to medium-full body and a clean finish and transition. A truly wonderful beer and a first rate, top notice contender.

One of the better beers I've had to date. Definitely in the top 20. (1,220 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Wow! This is a world class, tasty brew. After a large crab dinner, wine just couldn't refresh. Fortunately I found this tripel at total wine this afternoon. Beautiful, white foamy head, spices that tease the palate and a smooth, creamy mouth-feel. All that and I didn't notice the 9% ABV. A Belgian triple that's brewed in Quebec. I will definitely get this again. (366 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

La Fin Du Monde was recommended to me by a respected beer loving friend after he heard how much I like Chimay (Blue and White labels - Grand Cru and Cinq Cents). I have to say that La Fin Du Monde is right there with Chimay white label. It truly has become my go to beer. We had a party at the house on the eve of the eve (of New Years) and I bought a wide selection of craft and high gravity beer. Chimay was on the menu as well as Sue from Yazoo, an IPA from Schafly, Brookyn, and others. La Fin Du Monde was by far the overall favorite. I have also found that it has a rare ability to appeal to women that appreciate good beer as well as appealing to men. That may be because you don't taste the alcohol like some high grav beers I am familiar with. That could be a good or bad thing depending on how familiar one is with high grav beer and how many you have!

If you are in Nashville sometime, La Fin is on draft at The Pharmacy in East Nashville. They have a number of other fine beers on draft, of course, along with a terrific beer garden out back to serve great brats, burgers, etc. You can find it by the bottle in most places that serve high gravity beers, including the Flying Saucer. The Saucer, by the way, also has Chimay on tap just in case you want to do a taste test between the two. (1,300 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Drinkability - This was my very first experience. I was looking forward to it for over a week like a trip to a very special destination. Would I go again? Hell ya... but having felt the impact with only 250 mL into the first stretch, I'm afraid I'd wake up naked on my neighbours roof after the second one. Best damn Canadian-European beer I've ever had. I will definitely travel to "The End of the World" again.

Appearance - color is an attractive golden clouded haze. Carbonation is champagne-like with a very thin head and low retention.

Smell - Sweet and yeasty with fruity ale tones. Very pleasant - even better after the carbonation has subsided a little and the sharper alcohol tone is less pronounced. A must-have in a chalice style glass. Otherwise you'll be missing out on a great part of the experience.

Taste - VERY nice - great complexity. I'm in Europe again... Even better then the bouquet. Similar clove and banana ester tones like a good german hefeweizen or belgium ale. Sweet finish. Fits the tripel style except for the champagne-like carbonation (which I am surprised to enjoy).

Mouthfeel - Nice...light and thin. As noted, the beer has a high amount of very fine carbonation (again, this is like the champagne of beers). The volatiles from the esters and higher alcohol content are slightly noticed in the finish.

Poured from a 750 mL corked bottle. (1,376 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

This beer pours a mild pale-ish color. I never realized it was a pale ale, let alone a strong pale ale and I have had it in the past. Strong aroma with hints of spice and apple along with malt and some hops. Taste is somewhat mild with a very raisin like consistency mixed in with alcohol. Again, very strong and interesting for a Belgian-style Pale Ale. At 9%, very drinkable and not quite for the faint of heart either. Complex, yet delicious. Definitely something different for a pale ale, let alone a strong pale ale. (521 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

A- glowing golden body with a fluffy looking white head with little lacing. steady stream of very small bubbles

S- very yeasty and sweet with notes of summer fruits, cloves, bananas, and coriander.

T- spicy and yeasty. pretty sweet with some orange. a slight burn from the bubbles and or alcohol.

M- pretty thin but creamy

D- my favorite trippel, and something that would be much more sought after if the good people at Unibroue didnt make it available everywhere. i could easily finish the whole 750 by myslef, but at 9% abv wouldnt be able to take any more than that. theres a reason this makes the top 100 beers on planet earth. check this one out. (657 characters)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue