La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Big 750 ml. bottle with a caged cork. I have always admired the way these beers appear on the shelf. (good marketing) So I finally decided to go for it.

Poured with a HUGE head. (Maybe a bit too big) Bright golden color with a ton of carbonation and some cloudiness too.

Right away this beer smells almost like a champagne to me. Toasted aromas.

Taste? Well... first off, this beer has nice mouthfeel. Really coats your mouth with flavors the moment you first taste it. Impressive. The beer has almost a creamy toasty flavor, once again, similar to champagne. (with much less carbonation) There is also a bit of crisp sweetness of cloves and coriander on the finish.

Excellent beer, I am glad I finally made the plunge. Very drinkable, even with 9% alcohol.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

A short-lived head pours on this murky, hazy golden colored beer. Very carbonated. Citrus and cloves in the nose, but a mild aroma compared to others in the style. A nice malt taste, mixed with esters and yeast make the beer very pleasant. I also get fleeting hints of sour apples. I have to second other reviewer's notes that the beer hides it's alcohol well. Nicely balanced, slightly grassy finish. A very drinkable belgian style ale.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Appearance – A blonde amber color. Good head that stays with the beer. Champaign style bubbles.

Smell – Cider, spice, malt, citrus, and a touch of honey.

Taste – The smells above also describe the taste.

Mouthfeel – Medium body with good carbonation. Dry finish. The 9.0% a.b.v. is well hidden.

Drinkability – This is a good beer, but as far as tripels go, it’s not one of my favorites. Too cidery for me.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

12 oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a hazy citrus-honey orange with an expected billowing whipped egg-white head that slowly reduced into a thick white film that left patches and chunks of sticky lace down the glass.
S: Loads of Belgian spice and yeast with notes of candied sugars and fruits. Hints of bubblegum, apple cider, clove and pepper.
T: Heavenly flavors of ripe fruits, banana, clove, pepper, citrus, lemon juice, tangerine and apple cider. Spicy and sweet balance each other well but do not overpower the taste buds.
M: Creamy mouthfeel with soft carbonation and medium body. Alcohol is hidden completely.
D: One of the better tripels out there. There is nothing really wrong with this beer. Complex yet smooth flavors. Great head retention and lace. Fruity and spicy. Another great beer from a great brewery.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Serving-Bottle

Pour- Poured into a Teki, semi aggressively. Pours a good two finger head.

Appearance- Cloudy with a deep golden/straw color, with tints of orange.

Smell- Spicy, minimal hops smell just on the back notes. Some dried banana smell. Perhaps the slightest hint of dried cherries?

Taste- Pretty much follows the nose, hints of dried banana and spice. It is sweet but the spice may be a touch too much for me. For a 9% it is incredibly smooth though and gives no hints of alcohol.

Mouthfeel- Very good mouthfeel. Medium and creamy. Carbonation is nicely balanced.

Overall- This is a good beer, but one I would need to be in the mood for due to the spice.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks for another one Mark! Poured into my Cigar City snifter. Reviewing from notes.

A- pours a hazy pale yellow color. Two fingers of a sudsy white head. Excellent retention with some decent lacing.

A- bready malts and quite a bit of yeast. A bit of bananna and pear.

T- the taste follows the nose. Big bread/biscuit up front. The yeast is strong but not over the top. A hint of the alcohol shines through. At moments, I'd swear I was getting a bit of cloes with banannas mixed in. Very floral.

M- on the lighter side of medium. High carbonation. The finish is very clean.

D- a nice offering. Drinks very easy. This is definitely a gateway beer. I will suggest this to my BMC schwag drinking buddies.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

A- Pours a perfect orange with a wonderful looking one inch white head. The very thin effervescence stream coming from all side of my tulip. Some lacing. Head retention is well above average. Amazing, pure and simple.

S- Almost champagne(?) like. Bananas, cloves.

T- Fruit. Spice. Bready. Belgian(?) yeast. Slight citrus.

M- Light to medium on the palate. Nearly perfect feel. Mouthwatering.

D/O- Hard to believe this is 9% by taste alone. Would have another but want to save it to brighten the end of another day. Loved this one.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

A quality beer for sure. I had read the hype and since i'm all about Tripels now, I had to try it. Allagash's Tripel is my new favorite beer, but I wanted to see how this one stacks up. I wasn't disapointed...much. The beer looked terrific, a solid golden haze with a nice tall head and tons of lacing. Promising! Well, that faded as I smelled the beer and I must say, I couldn't stand they way this one smelled. Something was strange. It was a spicy Tripel smell, but a bit too unpleasant for me. Maybe too strong? I dunno what the problem was. The taste was outstanding, second only to Allagash's. A bit more apple in the taste in this one. I really enjoyed it and it was super drinkable. With the exception of the smell, this beer was about perfect. But because I didn't care for the smell, I gotta put his one as the 2nd best Tripel out there. Highly recommended.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Appearance: Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. The beer is a cloudy golden (perhaps I have disturbed some yeast too much?). Even a "soft" pour produces a large fluffy white head over two inches. I have to let it settle out some which takes a while (never fully settles below 1/4 inch). Leaves some patchwork lacing.

Smell: A burst of citrus (lemony), yeasty. Some bready, biscuit malts. I definitely stirred something up because I get a lot of yeasty aroma from this beer.

Taste: Starts out with a decent maltiness, finishes with a slight hop bitterness and an alcohol zing. From start to finish and at points in between it has some yeasty undertones.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, well carbonated. Mild alcohol burn, but I expected more for a 9.0% ABV beer, so I was somewhat surprised it was as subdued as it was. Finshes a touch dry.

Drinkability: Drinkable and enjoyable in moderation. I can't imagine having more than, oh, 2 of these in a night. It's no problem putting down one, I could do another, but beyond that it gets a little dangerous due to the high ABV. Will I seek this one out again? Perhaps, but not in the immediate future.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

I can't really say anything about this beer that hasn't already been said. Amazing beer, will buy it again, will buy 6 and let 3 age until this time 2006, and 3 age until this time 2007.

Big fluffy head, but almost too much.

Once this beer warmed to around 45º, the alcohol became more apparent in the finish and detracted a little from the beer. VERY warming alcohol sensation, save this one for a cool evening like this evening in Pittsburgh where I'm writing my review. At the same time really refreshing, though.

The only reason I give it a 3.5 for drinkability is because I cannot session a beer that's 9.0% abv without getting completely wasted after three. Also, I think the alcohol detracts a little from the drinkability, but hopefully letting it hang out for about a year will help.

In the mean time, I will definitely still buy and enjoy this while I'm waiting on bottles to age.

750mL bottle poured into a tulip

A brilliant golden color with a touch of orange and a huge, fluffy bone white cap. The head settled a little quicker than I would like and left no lacing, otherwise this beer is very pretty.

A rather mild aroma. Doesn't reach out of the glass the way the best tripels do. Granny smith apples and prickly pears with a touch of clove and white pepper. Not overly complex and a little timid.

Sweet fruity esters up front with a spicy kick and a fusol alcohol finish that really lingers. The spice accentuates the alcohol burn as time progresses. Still, a rather delicate take. It never really grabs you, but maybe that is their objective.

Medium body with a creamy, luxurious mouthfeel. An alocohol burn and a touch of sweetness linger long. But I really can't complain, the mouthfeel is near perfect.

The mouthfeel is so creamy and lush and the flavor profile so delicate that this beer drinks extremely well. However, that 9% is no joke and can definitley pack a punch.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Appearance - pale yellowish color. Nice big white head that hangs on, love this about belgian styles.

Smell - All I am getting is spices and a little bread flavor, and I don't know the spices well enough to distinguish them.

Taste - spices right off the top, maybe some citrus, a sweet flavor, and a little bread flavor.

Mouthfeel - Nice and crisp, good carbonation.

Drink - Destroyed the tall bottle in a matter of minutes, way too easy to drink.

Overall a great beer. Instantly I was reminded of Mothership wit from New Belgium. I don't like that beer, but I know what they were trying to do now. Would buy this again for sure.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A - Orange-gold with plentiful carbonation and one inch of dense, bone-white head.

S - Fruity scents of peach and mango, candi sugar, nutty yeast.

T - Mellow fruits - peach, golden raisin, mango - with white pepper and clove. The beer is subtly sweet with enough spice and hop bitterness for good balance. Nutty yeast flavor rounds out the palate.

M - Prickly carbonation perks up a smooth, round body.

D - This is a solid, reliable beer that's worth revisiting from time to time. Dangerously quaffable with its hidden alcohol of 9 percent.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured into chalice from 750 mL bottle. Pours a hazy golden color with a half finger of head. Very sweet smell like cane sugar and syrup. Taste is kind of wheaty and sweet. Very strong and sweet flavor that masks the ABV very well. Light coating mouthfeel. Drinkability is only lost on the full flavor and sweetness of an otherwise top notch tripel.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a hazy golden yellow color with light yellow highlights. Has a thick white head that thins up after a while to a nice thick ring with excellent lacing.

Strong, bright aroma with notes of fruit (primarily citrus) and yeast, with a distinct floral smell. Some hints of spice and malt, and just a slight touch of grass.

Starts out with a little bit of spice that quickly dissipates to make way for the sweet taste of citrus, yeast, and malt. The finish has a very slight, hoppy bitterness to it. There is a light alcohol warmth present throughout, which feels a bit stronger at the finish. The spice makes a noticeable return in the aftertaste.

Medium in body. Excellent carbonation level - crisp and effervescent, but not too bubbly. Coats the palate nicely.

A top-notch triple. Great taste, excellent feel - something you could keep on drinking until the alcohol finally caught up with you.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Long time drinker, first time reviewer.

The dryness and spicy, funky edge are what really detract from me saying: "this is the perfect tripel."
It's what's not there. The fruit I expect from a tripel is quiet. It's there in some ways, but I just love the big passionfruit and honey flavors some tripels have. Now, this has some beautiful sweetness; banana, heavy in body, and inexact, but nice . . . just not that golden raisin, nectar-like, champagne sweetness I want. Spicy, clove, coriander, funk are in control.

Okay, it's a great brew. I just like other heavy hitting tripels a bit better.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

color: cloudy to muddy beige, small head ...

smell: cocoa beans, strong malts, light hops, aloe vera ...

taste: athiopian cru coffee, anisette, rhubarb, pecan, nougat, strong soury final note ....

a great belgian style brew ... surprisingly from Canada .... but then again, great craft need not to be limited to Europe ....

750ml bottle.

pours a cloudy, medium gold/yellow color. tons of foamy head, lasts forever.

smells very yeasty/wheaty. malt, citrus, bit of hops.

taste was awesome. tangy, sweet, spices in there. very well balanced and good carbonation.

overall great triple - very enjoyable.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tulip out of a 750ml bottle.

Pours a hazy medium orange with a huge four finger billowy head. It takes quite a while for the head to settle down in order to fill up the glass. Really impressive head retention and lacing.

Aroma is very fruity and spicy with orange peel and some coriander. Maybe even a touch of clove and pineapple thrown in there. Very nice.

The flavor continues the characteristics found in the aroma but there is an addition of a quick shot of caramel up front. A big rush of orange peel follows with some clove and banana. There is a moderate dryness towards the finish and the finish is fairly clean. Alcohol is completely hidden.

Overall, this is a very nice Tripel. Probably not the best I have ever had but it is up there. I would say this is the best non-Belgian example of the style I have come across.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a 750ml appropriately into my Unibroe tulip.

A- pours a hazy gold with a thick white head that endures the whole way down the glass. Not much lacing to speak of.

S- smells spicy with some hints of fruit- banana mostly, with some apple or something lingering. Definitely lots of clove come through on this one.

T- wow. Unbelievable balance to this tripel. The initial spicy bite subsides into a creamy and smooth banana/clove taste... kind of like a hefeweizen but more intense. There is some maltiness to speak of... a bready taste lingers in the back of your throat.

M- smooth yet spicy... very enjoyable.

D- one 750 ml bottle is enough for one sitting. Otherwise you can drink this quickly or have it a nice sipper.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

750 mL corked & caged bottle date stamped L03131W14Q poured into a Duvel snifter around 10-12 C. I have had this before, but never reviewed it, so here goes...

A: I am expecting a world class beer here and I get a slightly cloudy (perhaps this is my fault - I knocked the bottle off a three foot ledge earlier in the day). Regardless it is a straw yellow with hints of orange hue along with a fizzy white head that you hear buzzing away and disappearing post-haste leaving nary a dab of lacing. Very disappointing start.

S: Initial the beer is overwhelmed by a yeasty french bread sort of aroma. Fruty esters come through slowly delivering an enjoyable nose. Alcohol and a faint musky earth finish. Enjoyable, though a touch more muted at times than I would like

T: Belgian funk, best described by myself as the rind of a brie really plays well on the palate, though not too dominant as to overpower the rest of the body of the beer. Slight hints of bread and a light sweet finish on the beer keep the beer balanced. Nominal bitterness that grows over time in the finish helps cut the sweetness, though it is the sweetness that lingers. The sweet finish is strongly reminiscent of apple juice...

M: Slightly prickly, well balanced, could have been drier for the style.

O: A very enjoyable beer. Not as sensational as I recall it being, but having enough definitive character to keep me interested. I love belgian beers, and while I really enjoyed it, I feel like I have had better triples...

750 ML into a tulip/ Best before 2-16-12

P: Looks like an unfiltered, kind of dull, light gold color with a huge head of pearly white foam that is thick and pillowy. Shows great retention and leaves a nice amount of lace plastered on the side of the glass, though.

A: Smells like toasted malts, orchard fruits, cloves, and yeast. This has an impressive amount of power and strength, but doesn't quite reach the level of the top-tier tripels, in my humble opinion.

T: The flavor, however, comes much closer to reaching greatness. There is a superb balance in this beer that makes it really enjoyable to drink. The malts are lightly-toasted and have that smooth, barley-and-oat cereal grain type of character to them. The fruits aren't nearly as explosive as they are in other tripels, but the flavors of ripe bananas, pink apples, and pears taste bright and delicious. The yeasty cloves impart a nice amount of spiciness that jabs the tongue and rounds this brew out nicely.

M: Medium-bodied with a sharp and clean, crisp and smooth type of feel. But, I've gotta dock points here because, like every other Unibroue beer that I've had, it's way over-carbonated. The prickly bite gets a bit distracting the deeper I get into the bottle, which I guess is my only real complaint.

Notes: La Fin Du Monde is definitely firmly entrenched on the 'refined' side rather than the 'explosive' side of the tripel category. There are others that are more explosively fruity, spicy, and powerful. But, this is a very well-made beer that stays in perfect balance throughout. Nice melding of harmonious flavors that make this quite enjoyable. I really wish Unibroue would ease up on the carbonation, but it deserves all of the praise that it gets, nonetheless. Recommended

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a slightly hazy orange hue with the bottom being a more pale yellow. Lots of bubbles floating up from the bottom of my Unibroue tulip, but it looks very nice this way. Sheets of clingy white lace are left during the entire drink.

Aromas were mostly banana and clove yeastiness. Slightly musty with some ripe fruit as well.

Taste is a sweet and bready malts upfront, with the clove spice being secondary. Light alcohol sweetness and warmth in the finish, but its pleasant and not harsh.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and the carbonation gives the impression that the flavors dance on the palate. Drinkability is good. Alcohol is nicely hidden for being 9 percent.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

a very widely ranged strong belgian. nose is sweet cane with a wheat malt, banana kicker. the palate seems to roll over very exactly that. a good 'triple' but not as good a some belgians. has a very mild bitter hop finish and a culmination of fruit that are all quite muted with the banana cream pie icing sort of sweet that seems to headline the beer. i could never have more than one of these because of that profile. this would be the flavor of an older beer in my opinion though...

had it again with a much fresher bottle. outstanding. with a nice citrus candy zing that clears the palate and makes you come back for more. palate of rosewater, lemon, mandarin orange candy... but all quite subtle and well balanced.

IMPORTANT: i would say a great beer the fresher it is. sugar makes it do weird things if it sits for a bit too long. starts tasting like an old oversweet bpa.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

This is actually one of the first craft beer I ever had.

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a half finger of white head. Good head retention. Spotty lacing.

S: Very yeasty and bready. Sweetness behind it all. Hints of fruit throughout.

T: Has that nice tripel sweetness up front. Very crisp though. The fruit begins to come in after a while. Very bready and malty throughout. Sort of weird for the style but it works.

M: Very crisp. Dry finish. Very nice.

D: I cut my teeth on this so it does hold a special place in my heart. Now that I am grizzled I enjoy it more. I remember it tasting rough at time but now it is smooth thanks to me killing my palate.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue