La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,819 | Hads: 9,230
4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured into a Duvel tulip

Pours a pale almost orange golden colour with a thick white head. A little bit of lacing left on the glass. Smells of sweet fruit and yeast, quite lovely. Taste is incredible was overly cold when served but warms up brilliantly and only gets better as it warms. Nice mouthfeel, slightly thick all the way through. Drinks very easy for an ABV of 9. The best canadian version of the style, maybe one of the best examples of the style period. Highly recommended. (487 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +13%

Presentation: It was poured from a 750ml bottle that is corked and caged into a chalice.

Appearance: It has a hazy body with a light golden amber color with a pale orange hue. The head is smooth, thick and creamy with good retention. It has a creamy off white color and it leaves behind soft lacing as it is slowly sipped down to the bottom of the glass.

Smell: The aroma is full and fruity. There is sweet orange citrus and spicy character with a big hit of yeast and tropical fruits like pineapple.

Taste/Mouth feel: It has a sweet rich and fruity malt and yeast flavor up front. Tropical fruit like pineapple and guava are noted. Soft spices come out and the alcohol starts to warm things up. Hops add a light citrus and leafy flavor before the yeast comes back out and turns powdery and slightly dry in the slow lingering finish. The texture is smooth and creamy with perfect carbonation for the medium body.

Notes: Outstanding and wonderfully complex with great drinkability. (984 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +13%

Big fan of triples and have herd nothing but great things of this beer. Pours a cloudy golden pretty much hefweizen in appearance. Head builds and dispates. Smell is exceptional. smashed fruits, alcohol soaked breads, malts, citrus, fresh cut grass and cedar. I could go on of about the complexity of this beer in terms of smell and taste very good. Taste is flowers fresh cut herbs very earthy in many aspects. Very drinkable the flavor of this beer hides much of the alcohol tones. Top ten beers of all time in my opinion simply beautiful. (541 characters)

750 ml bottle into a mug

A - Somewhat cloudy, pale orange/yellow color, two finger head that dissolved fairly quickly, no real lacing but appetizing appearance

S - Exquisite citrus scent, mostly orange; some yeast scent as well, along with a general fruitiness; smells a lot like a wheat beer, but more complex

T - Excellent taste, citrus flavors (again, orange mainly), mostly malt,smells pour through during the drink, full/great taste, overwhelming sweetness, some light bitters to close; some alcohol flavor but fairly good given how high the content is

M - Lots of carbonation, but a nice creamy feel, fairly short aftertaste

D - Really great beer - after smelling it I just hoped the taste would live up to it, and amazingly it was; possibly the best beer I've ever tasted, no matter the high alcohol content (829 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +13%

A straw color with a huge foamy white head and nice lacing left behind. High carbonation present. A very sweet yeasty smell with a nice aroma of fruits. Pear comes to mind. The taste is a sweet tangy blend of fruits. Apricot and pear standout. Floral traces and a extremely sweet sugary taste. Robust spicy flavors and a warming alcohol feel. To say the least this is a very tasty beer and I know what I'll be drinking if armageddon comes around.

Notes: I picked up a bunk 750ml once but haven't had any carbonation problems with the 12oz. bottles. (551 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +13%

In my review for Maudite, I mentioned that you can definitely notice the 8% abv, but I didn't notice the 9% abv in la Fin Du Monde at all. I'm not sure I'll ever drink a beer I like more than this in my entire life. Smells and tastes relatively sweet, and is a pretty cloudy golden color. Mouthfeel and drinkability are incredible as the alcohol is hidden so well that I could drink this like, forever. Now that I've tried Unibroue I'm gonna save them for nice occasions since I can't live my life spending this much on beer... (527 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +13%

appearance: pours cloudy golden amber with a small head.

smell: a complex aroma of fruits, bread and, spices. Banana really stands out.

taste: floral fruity elements are noticed imediately with lingering spice.

mouthfeel: very smooth and dry.

drinkability: I could drink this beer all night but at 9% abv that may be a bad idea. (332 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +13%

Flawless, hazy-orange pour. A frothy and rich white head holds respectable retention.

I hardly needed to hold my nose up to the head to catch the intensly sweet aromas. Very orange and citric with malty-rich hints of yeast.

Incredible flavor. I need not continue but I will. One of the best brews I have had the pleasure to enjoy. A subtle zestiness enriches the palate followed by a tangy, semi-sweet finish that represents the perfect tripel ale. Way too smooth going down - abv content masked unmercifully.

Carbonation was consistent and well balanced with the rest of the beer. Suprisingly lighter texture and feel than was expecting but in pleasing way.

Never had a tripel better than this one. Too easy to drink and so delicious, I cherished this glass of beer. On to the next Unibrue! (797 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +13%

no cataclysm when I opened the brown bottle, but beer poured a straw / topaz yellow and is very aromatic...to me it is like combining a sparkly white wine like a riesling or pinot gris and giving it the citrus tones of witbier or even your basic blue moon.

the taste is very nice...you expect over the top strength but really any initial hoppiness is mellowed out with a nice, pepper spice and wild fruit.

mouthfeel remains light and the carbonation and cling are doing well here at the bottom of the glass.

superb. absolute nectar. (541 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +13%

12oz bottle, foil covered twist-cap.

A: Pours a golden haze with thick white head that takes a while to dissipate. Sticky lace remains on glass after consumed. Lots of visible carbonation.

S: Lots of yeast, cider, wheat, and some spices.

T: Beyond words on the taste. Maybe a peppercorn spice with cloves, possibly bannana and other citrus. Loads of balanced spices, with a hint of hops and slight sour taste that's soothed by malty sucrose.

M: Lots of malt and carbonation. No bad taste from 9% ABV.

D: 4.5/5

Normally I don't review beers, but I thought Unibroue just did exceptional with this beer. Will be at the top of my list for a long time. (653 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +13%

My second Unibroue, and I am hooked. I love the hazy, orange-yellow look of this beer. Someone mentioned mysterious, and I agree. The smell is intoxicating, fruity, peppery, an almost exotic spiciness. The taste is equally amazing, like a burst of flavors that go off in different directions that meld together to create a perfect balance of sweet fruitiness, bitter orange rind, and peppery spice. I want another. (414 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +13%

12 oz. bottle poured into a goblet.

Very cloudy looking coming out of the bottle during the pour. It settles very nicely into the glass creating a 1/2 inch dense white head which dissipated very quickly leaving only a ring on the outside. The color is golden saffron. The smell of this is incredible. I immediately smell strong floral, fruits and spice with a touch of honey included. The taste immediately brings out the floral aspects, the most of any beer I've ever had. I can't quite decide which fruits I detect, but the spice notes at the end are delicious and create a dry finish. This reminds me of champagne because of the high carbonation feel and such a dry finish. A wonderful tripel.

Side note: I first tried this beer about (maybe) 10 years ago while on a ski trip in Quebec. I picked it up at a small package store just outside the tiny town of Magog. The only reason I bought it was because I like the label of the bottle. I placed this outside of my hotel balcony in the snow and drank it right from the bottle, ice cold. Immediately, this became one of my favorite beers and I did not realize it was available in my area until a few years ago. (1,163 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

What could one possibly say about La Fin Du Monde?

That it's delicate subtly is only matched by its underlining complexity?

That the scent of ripe fruit rewards the drinker with unparalleled spice and yeast notes?

That the tulup glass fills magnificently with the golden elixir to showcase it world class appearance?

Or that it's 9% ABV is masked so masterfully that even the most jaded drinker will be impressed by its drinkability?

With that said La Fin Du Monde is easily one of the best triples ever brewed and makes a strong case for itself to be one of the best beers ever brewed. Its craftsmanship rivals that of even the top genuine Belgium breweries. (665 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance: Golden orange. Creamy white head and lots of it. Great retention. Lots of tiny bubbles. Minimal lacing. Looks amazing.

Aroma: Yeast, light fruit, crisp apples and some citrus, buttery diacetyl

Taste: Fantastic. Follows nose. Big champagne-like carbonation. Lots of yeast. Buttery smooth. A bit boozy. Cloves, some honey sweetness. Also quite spicy.

Mouthfeel: Again super carbonated, but goes down smooth. Warms the mouth.

Overall: Amazing. Well worth whatever they're charging where you can find it (515 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

i love the unibroue brewery, every time i try one of their beers i declare it my favorite, until i try the next one that makes me reconsider. this tripel pours a very nice golden color, with snow-white head and good carbonation...looks like duvel to me. smells are spicy, citrusy, and a little hoppy. tastes great, floral hops, some citrus, hints of clove, and a nice, crisp and spicy finish. an interesting spicy taste makes an appearance, almost like cracked peppercorns, but not at5 all overwhelming. almost no alcohol flavor in this one, despite its powerful 9% presence. has a nice medium to thick body, and the lacy head stayed to the end. absolutely delicious brew. very drinkable, i had one, but could easily have drank a couple more with pleasure and without difficulty. i believe a more apt name woud be "la fin du concurrence" (end of competition) because its really that good. (888 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

Hands down one of the best beers I've ever had. The only brew that I have had that comes close to this is Chimay White, which still doesn't stack up. The brew pours a beautiful cloudy orange color with a very large and stable white head. The smell is typical for this type of brew with a slightly strong alcohol smell coming through. The taste and mouthfeel are at the top of the charts for any beer let alone one with 9%. Its sweet, very malty, and has a slight hop presence at the end. Finally, the drinkability is just incredible for any brew let alone one with 9%. I would highly reccommend this to anyone who wants a delicious brew to sip on and enjoy; maybe even have two. (678 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

Exceptionally rich notes of coconut, banana, lemon peel, clove, musk. Complex alchohals being the backbone of it all. Head endures from top to the bottom of the glass, agitated easily by a few swirls of the glass.

Unibroue, represents a vision of what sincere dedication to quality, patience, and character can bring out in the artform that is brewing. (359 characters)

Eye:
Note: I have never gotten a good head or retention on the beers that I have poured into this Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale Snifter; however now that I've poured it this doesn't seem to be a problem.

The brew has excellent head formation and retention. Just as good, if not better than Duvel. The head is big, pillowy, fluffy, white and rocky. There is a bit of lacing as the over-sized head from the pour recedes to a more suitable size. Color is a somewhat hazy straw yellow, or lemon square yellow if you prefer.

Nose: Sweet candi aroma here. A bit of spice from the hops perhaps, but not much else, very clean. Maybe some banana and clove esters as well. Not very potent. Alcohol is well hidden. For me hard to describe because the aroma isn't as potent as I would like.

Tongue: Oh my! What a great tasting brew. It is sweet with a very candied type of flavor. To balance out this sweetness there is a very pleasant and lingering spicy character...weather from hops, yeast phenols, or actual spices it provides the great service of balancing this brew...amazing.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: In the mouth the brew is of a lighter body, with lower levels of carbonation than I would expect for the style. The beer finishes fairly spicy and a bit dry, but not too dry. This is a beer that I'd drink just about any time, not sure if I prefer it over Duvel-sure they're not the same, but they do have similarities-but in my book it is definitely the same quality. I see the two as interchangeable. (1,505 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

750 ml. bottle poured into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a wonderful glowing translucent orange. Has a thick, slick, and frothy white head which dissipates after a short while.

Smell: Fruits, yeast, and spices. A very nice smell -- not overpowering, but maybe not quite strong enough.

Taste: Lots of subdued fruit flavors, combined with spices and yeast. Well-balanced, very tasty, and fairly refreshing. My only (very minor) complaint is that it's not very complex. Otherwise it's exceptional.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly, it's a light- to medium-bodied beer. Quite a bit of light, tingly carbonation as well. Very smooth feel.

Drinkability: If anything, it's probably a bit "too" drinkable, considering the ABV. Don't really notice alcohol in the taste, but at 9% it starts to kick in relatively fast. Goes down really nice and doesn't feel heavy at all.

I'd always wanted to try one of these beers from Unibroue... finally decided to give it a try and picked this one on a whim. I was extremely pleased! An excellent ale that will surely catch your attention if you try it. I will definitely be having this again. (1,143 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

First off i dont review many brews but have had some of the top 100 list easily but really feel this brew deserves a review.

A: Poured into a Stone tulip (im getting a bunch of Belgian chalices tomorrow finally from a guy here in AZ that is in the AZ Trappiste club that is here in AZ, they only drink Belgian style brews and im fortunate enough to become a new member). Nice head 1.5 inches kinda dissipates but not too fast.

S: Im not great at smell but you can definitly smell the sweetness of this brew.

Mouthfeel: "Well it feels great IMHO"!!! PERIOD!

Drinkability: One word "INSANE" in a fantastic way. It 9% abv and cant even taste the alc. at all could seriously drink these all day but the abv would for sure catch up to me. (738 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

I've been drinking this beer for a while. I had to acquire the Belgian taste, but I'm hooked. I bought a sampler 12-pack of Unibroue (La Fin Du Monde, La Gaillarde, Blonde de Chambly, Blanche de Chambly) in Montreal for $16, can you believe that price. Amazing! Now for the review. Poured into a tulip from a 341mL bottle.
A: Golden yellow, 1 1/2 fingers of white 'pillow' head, great retention, lots of lacing, champagne bubbles, clear. The head of this beer makes it really stand out in appearance.
S: Spices, floral, light fruit (apple, pear), yeast and lots of it.
T: Spices, clove, slight apple, sweet honey, and yeast...lot of it
M: Crisp, dry finish, sticky, medium almost heavy body. The body is very nice once the beer warms a little bit.
O: Great beer, Unibroue does the best Belgian style beers outside of Belgium. It's amazing how they can distribute throughout Canada and parts of the US and Europe and still have this great taste. Will I buy this again? Absolutely. (979 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance--Pours a very cloudy, completely opaque pale yellow--almost white. An aggressive pour yields a full two-finger head, which dissipates quickly and leaves just a tad of lacing. The appearance of this beer is absolutely stunning.

Smell--Pretty much exactly what one would expect from a Belgian Tripel; heavy, swirling esters of earthy/ bready yeast, lightly toasted malts, exquisitely delicate spices. The alcohol presence is there, but is hidden very well, deep in the background. Though the yeast presence is the most prominent in the nose, it is soft around the edges and balances well with the spices and malts. It is very, very inviting.

Mouthfeel--Balanced, surprisingly light (but not too light) body, and surprisingly well carbonated for the style. Unbelievably refreshing, given the style.

Taste--The alcohol presence comes through stronger in the taste than in the nose, though it is still very buried and really only appears a bit at the finish. The yeast presence is not at all dense/ "mushroomy", as a tripel can be. This beer is not at all over-sugared or syrupy, as can be the case with some Belgian-style beers.

Overall--I again cannot emphasize enough how refreshing this beer is, given the strength and style. This beer is absolutely exceptional. The only things that I can think to improve upon would be simply matters of personal taste. As far as that goes, I like a tripel with a very strong spice presence in the nose, which is a tad lacking here, but again that is no reflection upon this beer, but my own personal taste. This beer is an absolute must-try. Nearly perfect. (1,609 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

Just a phenomenal high ABV beer. On first impression the taste reminded me of Hoegaarden with a bigger but not obsessive alcohol back end. The wonderful/horrible thing about this beer is how easy it is to drink. It would not be hard to consume 3 or 4 with dinner. I had this beer paired with an Steak, medium rare, and it fit perfectly. (336 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +13.5%

I've had numerous tripels, but this is the best overall in my experience.

It looks positively beautiful pouring out of the bottle, with the perfect lingering head that lasts for several minutes and leaves charmingly asthetic traces for up to 30 minutes, or so.

It smells wonderful. It's like an eclectic mix of the seasons that can be enjoyed year round.

There is a certain smooth thickness to it in the mouth. It is less viscous than other beers, but if you aren't calorie counting it is an amazing feeling.

The highlight of this beer is the taste. I don't think I've ever tasted a better tripel in my life. A variety of spices and fruits blend together smoothly in a pleasing manner that reminds me of cool fall afternoons in New England. It is completely unique and it must be tasted to be understood. (811 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +13.5%

Another extremely good beer from Unibroue!!!

A= This beer pours a cloudy golden color with a thin head that only lasts about half way through the drinking of it.

S= This one smells of alcohol, sweetness, funky yeast, bread, and a bit of fruit.

T= The taste of this beer is outstanding. In my opinion, all that is good in Belgian trippels is represented here. There is that excellently high abv, the funky/fruity yeast flavors and a hint of hard candy sweetness.

MF= The carbonation on this one is just right. Not overflowing with foaminess, but not a low carbonation beer either. It continues to release carbonation throughout.

D= This is my favorite beer from one of my newest favorite breweries. I consider it one of my "staple" beers and highly recommend it. (766 characters)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue