Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,846 | Hads: 9,377
4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Tried this for the first time recently and with every sip said to myself, "Damn this is good!". Pours a beautiful yellowish color with a nice head that lasts quite a while. Amazingly smooth for such a high alcohol content. Will definitely drink this often.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Top of its class. The right yeast characteristics in the right amounts. Dry, crisp mouth feel but with a wonderful array of flavors. Solid fruit flavors, well rounded on the palate. Not much banana, which I enjoy in others, such as Merry Monks, but LFDM is truly in a league of its own. And what a bargain. Consistently pleasing - truly proof that God exists and loves us.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

I have tried a number of Tripels but I keep coming back to this one.

It pours beautifully with a golden color and a thick head that won't go away.

The smell is clean and fresh.

The taste is clean, crisp and tangy with hops fruit and spices in exceptional balance.

Mouthfeel is typical of the best examples of the style.

Very drinkable.

An excellent offering with wonderful taste and balance which proves that not all great Belgians come from Belgium.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: Clear darker gold color, well carbonated. Head is massive when poured into a tulip, and very resilient.

Smell: Rich and malty, lightly fruity and very, very yeasty. Lemon zest and other fruit are very pleasing.

Taste: Wow, it's been a while since I have had this beer, and I forgot how good it is. The rich, malty, yeasty flavor is gigantic. Slightly soft, but also enhanced with alcohol. Excellent.

Drinkability: One of the best in the style, good work, Unibroue.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

pours a cloudy orange with a nice big head patchs of lace on the glass looks real nice and smells and taste even better. complex aromas of really ripe fruit, peaches, black cherries, ripe bananas, all mixing with a slight alcohol and spice.

taste rich complex, sweet fruity, yeast, warming alcohol, slight tang at the finish along with a nice spicey note.

mouthfeel light, lots of crisp carbonation to go with that great taste.

drinkability is off the chart sinfully good beer have not had a bad beer from unibroue.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance - this beer looks deceptively simple. it's a lovely golden - very clear - but I can't say it would stand out just from the appearance...

Smell - only word I can come up with is "yeasty".

Taste - now this is one of the places this beer stands out. Fresh, light, but lots of flavor! This is one of those times my limited beer vocabulary will hinder me, but I know the strong flavor comes from the fermentation process. It's golden, yeasty, wonderful. Only thing I don't like quite as much is the slightly tart aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Very light, a little carbonated... normally I don't like so much carbonation but it's ideal in this beer. The light mouthfeel is one of the best things about it. I'd expect such a strong beer to have a heavier feel, but it's so deceptively light. Which leads me to...

Drinkability - This is also deceptively drinkable. I have to remind myself to sip it because it is in fact so light. You have to be careful, though, because it packs a hidden punch! Altogether one of my favorite beers!

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Served from the bottle into a tulip glass.

A- Poured a hazy golden orange with a two-finger white sudsy head that dissipates fairly quickly. Tons of carbonation streaming from the bottle of the glass.

S- Strong citrus, tropical fruit aroma, bubblegum, and pear

T- Very strong orange citrus flavor that is very juicy (almost just like tropicana orange juice), tropical fruit, pear, yeast, coriander, and a little hop bitterness.

M- Champagne like due to the high carbonation, finishes dry

O- Quite possible the most drinkable beer I have ever had, especially for 9% ABV. This is dangerously drinkable. There are so many delicious juicy fruit flavors in this beer and at this point in my craft beer drinking time this is one of the best tasting beers and best overall beers I have ever had.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

A. Beautiful golden apricot, cascades of carbonation lasting through the drink.

S. Crisp golden apples, some notes of nutmeg, fig, and ripe apricot. Bit of yeast.

T. Fruitiness of apple, apricot, and fig. Hints of hazy spice and a wheat-like note. Similar to Chimay, but also reminds me of Delirium Tremens. There is that distinctive yeast-spice tone to it. Complex yet exceptionally drinkable.

M. Smooth, warm, and perfectly carbonated. Not too sweet or too bitter; easy to sip with a meal or by itself.

D. Not even a hint of the 9% abv. A 750 ml bottle could easily put you to sleep...the taste is so sublime it creeps up on you. Warm, crisp, good with pasta and sharp cheese.

I am amazed that a beer can be this good. I rank this with Delirium, Chimay, and Duvel. I personally like it better than Duvel; not as sweet, but this is indeed a world-class beer.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Look: This beer pours a beautiful golden-orange tint with a medium laced, sparkly white head that slowly fizzles as the beer settles in the glass.

Smell: This beer has dozens of subtle aromas that combine for a very unique scent. I detect some citrus in there (mainly orange peel), a spicy-peppery scent, some caramel, little bit of bread and a hint of alcohol which is well balanced with the malt. There is a very slight hint of hops but with very little bitterness. It’s truly a very interesting combination of aromas.

Taste: At 9% alc./vol. this beer may be the best I've tried at masking the taste of the alcohol. You would never know that this is a highball beer because there is virtually no alcohol presence on the palate. It is very easy to consume too much of this beer because it has such a delicate combination of flavors that come together to conceal the liquor. For the most part it tastes like it smells, but a bit more tangy. There are hints of orange citrus, spices, caramel, very malty, slightly peppery, bread and a very slight hint of hops but without any of the bitterness. The way the combination of flavors combines to cover up the alcohol taste is truly extraordinary. This is a very insidious beer and you'll find it very hard to wake up the next morning after 3 of these bad boys so be careful.

Feel: This beer has a dry, prickly feel with a spicy, warm and toasty finish to it. It is very light and smooth for a strong pale ale but also packs a little bit of bite which I find appealing in a pale ale. I find it hard to even call it a strong ale but going by the alc. content it would fall into that category. This is definitely a slow sipper, perfect beer to just relax and enjoy on a nice hot summer day.

Overall: This is an easy drinking, very complex and transcendent beer with many subtle characteristics that come together very nicely to form a smooth, clean, dry and fresh ale. This is one of my favorite styles and easily one of my favorite beers. A must try for the golden ale lovers!

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

750 mL bottle, corked & caged, 2004 vintage. Pours a light golden amber into an oversized wineglass with a fluffy and billowy white head. Lovely citrus and yeasty-bready malt aroma; sweet orange and peach scents abound. Taste is a dry-sweet peach bread with golden raisins; spicy yeast and a strong dry finish. Mouthfeel is full, creamy, and juicy. The 9% alcohol is utterly imperceptible. Absolutely sublime.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Not to sound like a follower, but this is my favorite beer of all time. "5's" are supposed to be rare, well I think it is well deserved here. Been drinking it for 5 years now and haven't had anything approaching this. Oddly enough it is my favorite Belgian beer, and it's made in Canada. I don't know how they can make this beer any better. Unfortunatley I have seen this beer go from $5 to $6 to $7. I don't want to sound like a cheapskate, but I think Value needs to be part of the review process. Still, I pay it!!!!

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours bubbly head two inches high into Fin du Monde tulip, dissipates steadily. Nice hazy golden-orange color. Really attractive. Nice yeasty nose as well, full-bodied and a little spicy.

The alcohol is apparent - extremely welcome however. What a beautiful taste, the unique yeast strain, balanced malt and hops and a slight tartness. The spicing is just perfect. It has the drinkability of a thirst-quenching witbier in a very complex, gourmet beer. This could be enjoyed with about any dish you'd like: strong enough to stand with aged cheese but smooth and quaffable enough to enjoy with fish or a salad. After a few sips gets a peppery aftertaste.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

I have a fridge full of this beer... my favorite so far. Tastes so good... lots of hops, citrus, yiest, amazing! High alcohol content sure hits you after a couple of Fin Du Monde's and when you serve it properly it retains a beautiful 1 inch head the whole time.

Recommended...hell... if you see it buy a case or two.

If you like this beer also try Unibroue's Don de Dieu

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Ah, memories. I finally meet up again with the beer I enjoyed the most back during my winter trip in Canada. A plate of poutine on a 25 degree (F) afternoon in Montréal and a bottle of this at Frite Alors remains one of my fuzziest memories of the trip. But now, will a change of culture and weather in Southern Califronia change the enjoyement level of this beer? Time to find out:

What a beautful pour it does into my Stella Artois chalice, and what a beautiful sight when the pouring ritual is finished. An unfiltered golden blonde in color with a big billowy head on top. Too bad the retention isn't perfect. An attractive aroma of fruits (with apricots the most dominating) lure me closer to the glass for a sip. The taste is so close to heaven, even for the style. Upfront with a peppery fruit flavor, but the spiciness won't have you bowing to it. The sweetness pushes in and keeps the spiciness from being too much. Warming alcohol is persistent in the throat.

I've forgotten how much I loved this beer. A change of scenery showed no change in the experience, although it wasn't enjoyed around Québeçois surroundings for a truly authentic one. A masterpiece of a brew!

Oh, and hooray to me for being the 1000th reviewer of this gem!

Re-review from my original post on 01-27-12

Poured from a 12oz screw-top(!) bottle (Best Before date: 11 -29-14) into a 14oz Libbey snifter.

A- Pours a cloudy, golden/yellow with a 2-finger head dissipating rather quickly.

S- Remarkable and wonderfully complex...Granny Smith apple, (green) grape, lemon peel, orange, banana, biscuit, clove and allspice are all present in the nose.

T- Everything present in the nose is found on the palate with citrus rind and spice as the dominate flavors. Very, very well balanced.

M- Aggressive carbonation makes all the flavors dance across your palate and finishes very dry like a sparkling wine/champagne.

O- Simply awesome and perhaps my favorite of the Unibroue classics (next to Maudite). Like Duvel, I suggest sampling La Fin Du Monde as fresh as possilbe (under the right conditions, 36-48 month shelf life).

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle, BBD of 07-06-09 stamped on the back label, poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy - completely opaque in fact - pale orange color. The head formed a good 2-3 fingers thick and faded very slowly.

Aroma: Sweet and sugary, with the familiar unibroue yeast in the background.

Taste: Spicy cloves and peppers up front, then it turns very sweet in the middle with some fruits, mainly orange. The finish starts off sweet but fades as the powdery yeast becomes dominant.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy. The carbonation is very lively and fits the style well.

Overall: In my opinion, this is one of the best Belgian-style ales brewed in all of North America.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Pop goes the cork, and rush goes the foamy head out of the bottle. Pour it and then gaze in astonishment at the hazy golden brew. Enjoy the enormous whipped texture head that seems to rejuvenate itself after every sip. Smell the wonderfully citric, yeasty and spicy aroma. And then sip it. YUMM! Perfect mouthfeel and perfect carbonation. This beer is full of spiciness, yeastiness, fruitiness, sweetness, sweetness, twanginess(if that's a word), and some alcohol of course. 9% at that. And it's barely noticeable. Most definitely my favorite Unibroue offering. Go drink this beauty.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

This one is one of my favorites. Ironically I haven't tried a real belgian tripel from belgium yet, but I've tried most of the other varieties so far (Dubbel, Quad, Saison, Pale).

Poured out of a 750ml bottle into a stemless wine glass.

It pours beautifully with a white 1.5 inch head. The color is a translucent glossy gold which looks very pleasant indeed! There is a fair amount of retention which reduces to a constant 8th inch head throughout the glass.

The smell is what is expected of a good tripel - banana, malt, ester, belgian yeast, sugars, mild citrius, and an ever present hint of alcohol. very pleasant and warming.

The taste is packed with complex flavors - a fruity/floral hop front which is balanced by a subtle malt back ground all encompassed by the typical, delicious belgian yeast flavor. There's a good bit of sugary flavor, but it's nothing close to cloying or overwhelming. Amazingly pleasant. There's also a slight bit of alcohol in the back end which warms everything up without being harsh or unpleasant.

the mouthfeel is medium thick and luxurious accompanied by plenty of carbonation. it's so satisfying and really begs for another sip. i have to admit it gets me tipsy quite quickly, but if I could, I would drinks all night long, glass after glass.

For me, the la fin du monde is the epitome of beer. world class indeed!

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

I had a chance to try this on accident. After eating dinner out at a french restaurant my party and I ended up at the bar talking with the owner. I expressed my fondness for beer as he had 4 bottles in front of him. He was trying new beers for his beer list - although this beer is from Quebec - I think the French name was more important.

I found the beer to have a crisp sensation, the flavor was earthy and only mildly sweet, while there was malt flavor I would not have pegged the ABV at 9% . I found the finish of the beer to leave only a subtle bite from the hops. I don't consider my ability to separate traditional flavor accents very good so I will leave it at that.

Overall, this is a beer I would drink alone or with a meal in a heart beat. I will likely pick some up next opportunity I have and were I to see it out a restaurant, I'd pay decently for it.

I ended up recommending this beer strongly to owner, especially given the traditional french menu. Anything that you would pair a hearty red wine to you could probably pair this to as well.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

I had this from a 12 oz brown bottle and served in a tulip glass as suggested on the label. There is a best before date clearly labeled for 08/16/07. Nice looking bottle with a foil top.

Pours a hazy golden yellow with a foamy white head on top. Scattered sticky lacings cling to the sides of the glass.

Aroma of cloves, yeast, fruity esters, and a tad of spices in the background.

This is one of amazing beer. I am impressed. Very smooth with pressured carbonation on the tongue. Orange citrus flavors, cloves and peppery spices blend together for an inviting experience for the palate. In all respects, this beer reminds me of a Belgian Tripel.

This is an excellent beer and only leaves me wondering why I haven't had this beer before. Highly recommended.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

My third tasting of the beer. First one seemed funked. Second was great. Third matches second so I will chalk the first tasting (undrinkable) to a bad bottle

Beer is a hazy yellow color with foamy head that does not linger much.

Slight fruity flavor with a grape hint.

You can feel the warmth of the alcohol but it is not overbearing.

Very drinkable. Watch out for the alcohol.

Great beer. I can see why it is so highly thought of.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured one from a 750ML Corked Bottle that I have held onto for close to a year. Used a tulip shaped glass.
Pretty nice head with good carbonation. Nice aroma with hints of bannana. Now for the first taste of the night. I find this to have a nice fruity character with a slight warming aftertaste. I really am surprised by the 9% ABV. This beer hides it 's strength well. Very pleasant mouthfeel for this brew. Overall this is an excellent beer that I highly recommend.

750ml caged and corked. best before 1-10-10

A-Abeautiful cloudy orange with a thick marshmallow like fluffy 3 inch head that lingers. Massive ammounts of lace. Gorgeous

S-Bread and oranges. a perfume like alcohol level permeates the nose. This smells divine.

T-Sweet sugars first glance the tongue followed up by a wonderful dryness. There is also a certain hint of sourness and umami. This hits all areas of the tongue. Notes of pepper, coriander, allspice can be detected. Despite this being strong I cannot detect the alcohol. I also do not taste banana or clove like in some of the others of this style yet there is still a distinctive yeasty pholic taste.

M-Super creamy and yet at the same time light. It glides through the mouth.

D- This one is dangerously good. This might just be my desert island beer. I was wowed by this back in 1996 and I am wowed by it now. A masterpiece.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours cloudy yellow. smells fruity and yeasty.Nice one inch white head and holds it's lace well. Fruity tasting with bubbly champagne like carbonation. Tart fruit, possibly pears along with bread. I like beer that is bubbly. Not much malt or hops up front. Alchohol is also well hidden. I cannot pick out what the finish on the back of my tongue is. I must say in this category there is some very strong competition, but it is hard to find a better tripel. This is one fine beer and a dangerous beer. Way too drinkable!! The key is proper storage, since our system is run by the state storage must be proper since it makes different batches taste differently.

Note: As I drink this beer more, I like it more. I am raising it's rating.

Poured into a Duvel tulip

Pours a pale almost orange golden colour with a thick white head. A little bit of lacing left on the glass. Smells of sweet fruit and yeast, quite lovely. Taste is incredible was overly cold when served but warms up brilliantly and only gets better as it warms. Nice mouthfeel, slightly thick all the way through. Drinks very easy for an ABV of 9. The best canadian version of the style, maybe one of the best examples of the style period. Highly recommended.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue