La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,819 | Hads: 9,230
4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Finally taking the time to review one of my all time favourite beers; poured into a Leffe chalice.

Appearance is stunning to say the least. A bottle conditioned beer that is a beautiful orange-golden colour. It is cloudy as well, probably due to lack of filtration of the beer ingredients. Pours a bit of head that quickly subsides.

Smell is a wonderful mix of floral and fruit aromas. Very inviting and a good representation of what the first taste of the beer will hold.

Taste consists of a lot of fruit and some malt. Fruits that would be, more or less, the same colour as the beer itself [i.e. - apricot/pear/orange/etc.]. Alcohol is non-existant in taste, but you sure can feel it!

The mouthfeel is different. A thicker bodied beer, which is offset by a refreshing carbonated-citrus bite, that all leads to a dry finish. The dryness is no doubt caused by the massive alcohol content.

Drinkability for this beer is obviously it's strongest asset. To be consumed with the utmost respect, this beer is exceptionally smooth and always rewarding. One of the top 5 beers I've ever experienced... and I've "experienced" a lot of beer.

In my honest opinion, if you're talking value for your money, there are few beers in this world that can match it. The fact that it is Canadian made gives me great hope for the future of beer in my home country... world class indeed! (1,373 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

A simply fantastic beer... have had it many times and it is absolutely one of my favorite beers. I would easily place it in my top 10. Pours with a fantastic off-white head. The aroma is sweet esters mixed with wonderful complex Belgian yeast. The flavor is sweet and fruity with lots of yeast characteristics. Love this stuff! (327 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

My favorite tripel possibly. Had out of both 750ml and regular bottle. This review was from the bottle. 750ml is better IMO. Using a chalice.

A- sexy orangish gold color that is translucent. Thick white head on my pour. Very bubbly almost champagne like.

S- Spicy with some fruity esters. I love the smell of this beer. Typical belgian yeast strain smell.

T- You get your belgian yeast. Slight spice and even less fruit. perfectly blended if you ask me.

M- your clean belgian yeast tripel mouthfeel.

D- the ABV is masked well. id say its easy to drink in the tripel catagory. (580 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a hazy deep straw color. Smells sweet, earthy, yeasty, spicy, and aromatic. The flavors in this beer are so well balanced and the alcohol is so well hidden. Strong wheat flavors and sweet belgian candy sugars are cut by an overall fruity dryness in the beer. The carbonation is strong. I cannot express how easy and enjoyable this beer is to drink. (356 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Possibly my favorite of the style. Good to share&pair with a rack of lamb through a nice dinner. You'll get in trouble sipping this on a Sunday afternoon since the high ABV is masked so well. Simply one of the best Belgian ales with tons of fruits and spices. A must try! (271 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Presentation: 12 oz. foil-capped bottle poured slowly into a Scaldis tulip glass.

Appearance: Cloudy, pale yellowish-orange. This beer requires a slow pour as the head produced from pouring is quite active and intense. The head retention is beautiful, leaving my glass with a pretty lacing.

Smell: Fruity, with some peach notes. The beer is rather phenolic with a faint clove-like aroma from the yeast.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Incredibly smooth a creamy mouthfeel and a decent amount of carbonation to boot. The beer is rather sweet and fruity upfront with some spice. The finish is pretty dry where some hop character is noticable.

Overall: I consider this beer to be the greatest beer made on the continent of North America, and the best beer by the Quebec based Unibroue. This is a phenomenal Belgian-style ale, but also very artisinal and unique for its style. There are simply no other beers in the world like this one. This is a must-try brew! (956 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

This might be one of my all time favorite beers! Amazing! Fun! The cloudy, ancient looking color... wow! Yeasty, perfect carbonation, perfect mouthfeel... words only do this beer an injustice! (192 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

I am sitting here trying to figure out what this beer does not do for me. And all I can think is,.. . . that maybe it could have got to me more directly, and that I could have taken better care of it. With that said, it doesn't even care,. . it still shines, even though there was some dust on the one that I pulled from the deepest reaches of darkness on the display shelf at the super market. I get excited every time I get to have this beer.

Appearance- Liquid gold, with a light, frothy, 3 finger head. Dissipates slowly, but the white layer protecting the jewels never fades. I would five this beer less on appearance, but I feel the lack of lacing is because this glass has been used a couple times tonight already.

Smell- Matly, yeasty (banana, citrus and spice), earthy. It makes you want to smell it thoroughly every time before you have another sip...

Taste- Everything that your nose picks up, with a nice floral, fruit, malt backed bite. .. (do yourself a favor and try this beer at different temperatures,.. i liked it a bit colder,.. and now its coming up to about it goes from biscuit, to banana and,.. kind of complexity that I hate to try to describe, but balanced all at the same time,...

Feel- silky smooth with a slight carb bite that wakes up your taste buds.

Drinkability - I had to find something that wasn't perfect,.. I would drink this all night, but I can't afford it, and I would appear a lightweight after slamming 9%'s all night,.. but for 9%.. it's amazing.

Eh! Go Canada! Sidney Crosby! MAF! (1,531 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured into an Allagash tulip from a 750ml caged and corked bottle.

Pour: Very clear straw coloring with foamy head that quickly disappears.

Aroma: Apple, alcohol, peppercorn, clove, Belgian yeast funk, and twizzler. The aroma also has a strong alcohol hint, and is a bit medicinal.

Taste: Sweet fruit flavors up front, some pear or nectarine with apples and honey. Very estery. If you really search for it, there is a bit of hop bitterness that rounds out the flavor, and probably helps with the dry finish. Pepper, cloves, funk, and a bit of banana help to round out the palate. very complex, a delicious beer.

Overall: This really is a perfect beer. Endless complexity, very delicious. I could keep drinking bottles of this, and continually find new flavors without growing tired of it. (793 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Hazy straw gold under a 2” white foam column that dissipates to a thick film that grips the side of the glass.
S: Banana, orange peel, spice.
T: Big fruit flavors feature banana, orange, and tropical fruit.
F: big and creamy with above average carbonation, medium body and a little bite from the carbonation.
O: A big yeast driven beer full of Belgian flavor. (368 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +13.9%

this one is one of my personal favorites. im actually drinking it tonight. the taste is unique and you can really taste the apples. its usually too expensive for me to want to buy but every now and then it can be found at a nice price. the 750ml is usually too expensive as well but worth it for a nice occasion. theres not too much carbonation in it either. real nice. (369 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Simply outstanding. I wish I could bathe in this stuff. Cloudy straw in color. Some people may knock it for being so hazy and unrefined. I personally like beer that is cloudy..it adds to the mystery. The yeast really add complexities layed upon more complexities. I am somewhat at a loss as to how to describe the taste. Others have mentioned tart apples...yeah maybe, but so much more. Each sip is a new experience. A beer that no doubt would age well. Unibroue is an expectional brewery, and this is (in my opinion) their best offering. (538 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Pale golden in color with a huge white head. Head stays fairly well. Excellent aroma that I'm taking great pleasure in. Black pepper spiciness, tart fruitiness, breadiness, and plain old yeast. Sure, it doesn't sound like much, but it certainly is a pleasure to sniff. And to drink...! Wow, I'm impressed. Sweetness and black pepper, odd combination? No way, it's great! Up front it's a little hoppy, then in the middle it gets to the sweet and peppery bit. Bready and a little yeasty as well, all the way through. Tangy citrus and fruitiness shows up at the back a bit more. Hop bitterness is really brought out in the finish, making it very crisp. Medium body. You'd never guess at the abv. Not a hint of it is detectable! A wonderful representation of the style, one of the best even. A wonderful beer in itself. It makes you think, what if the world was about to end? What would be your last beer? I'd say this wouldn't be a bad choice at all. (947 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance - An orange golden w/ minimal white head

Smell - it was a citrus smell with some coriender seed mixed into it.

Taste - A strong corriender seed and citrus combination. very very good, it was a very unique taste that i haven't tasted before.

Mouthfeel - very crisp with alot of carbonation, very smooth and delightful to drink on a beautiful summer day.

Drinkability - very drinkable, i have to remember this is a 9% beer since it doesn't have a hint of alcohol in its flavor. I could drink this all day and is by far my favorite triple yet. (556 characters)

serving type - 330 ml bottle. from a tulip

appearance - a light copper pour, good head that fades moderately but sticks. lacing is nice and coats the glass with a certain grasp. a bit hazy which is nice if you ask me. very inviting.

smell - very similar to delerium tremens. tropical scents purge my nostrils along with distinctive spice and a slight hop scent. alcohol is faint but a bit evident. smells just extraordinary, nothing like it.

taste - like a nice ol' kick in the mouth, it simply floods to the nooks and crannies of your mouth and shows them what exactly delicous taste is like. just pleasant all around. strong notes of fruitiness along with a slight bitter twinge from the hop character. finishes crispy and clean yet resides enough to prepare you for the next sip. taste is also very similar to delerium tremens, curious if they use the same or a similar yeast strain.

mouthfeel - not heavy at all but not light. very good balance on the palette and really quite nice. just makes you want another drink.

drinkability - very easy drinking, though it does have some depth so you have to draw the line somewhere, surely only out of fullness and not out of boredom with flavor. just a premium beer, delicious at every point of the beer from top to bottom.

tip - serve in a tulip, perfect for the nose and helps with the head just a bit. great to share with friends and family. just a great beer. (1,427 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

750mL bottle (w/ cork). The first pouring yielded little head, but the smell which hit me almost immediately as I started pouring was a beautiful citrus and peach odour. The colour was a beautiful cloudy pale gold. The taste is magnificent, completely disguising the high alcohol content. The second pouring gave about 2cm of head, and tasted just as good as the first. An extremely good and drinkable beer!! Glad I am that I chose this to drink on my birthday. (468 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Again, for a non-Belgian beer, Unibroue seems to have the style down.
A nice golden yellow color, with white lacy head. The lace lingered on in patches down the glass throughout drinking. "On lees", but if poured slowly, it is crystal clear.
The smell was comprable to Cantillon Iris, with less grapefruit and more subtle hints of the Belgian yeast strains. Has the Unibroue nose that is found in almost all their beers. Compared to the Cantillon, it actually is a bit more pleasant to smell, as it is not overpowering on the first whiff.
Hints of coriander and orange cut through the crispness of the beer. A light tartness, but the malt/sugar content cuts smooths it out, creating a nice blend.
The motuhfeel can be a bit crisp or light, but not so much as to be distracting.
At 9%ABV, its still a very drinkable beer. It is not heavy, and I don't really ever feel like I'm filling up when having it.
A wonderful Tripel that holds up to any other of the style that I've had. (978 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

This beautiful belgian pours hazy yellow, like a misty sunrise at the beach. The head is rocky and thick, dissipating to a thin layer with belgian swirls. Lacing is impressive.

The aroma is clean and floral, spiced with cloves and a fruity bouquet, with hoppy character. I love this style of beer.

Accents of clove, banana and apricot, with a clean and crisp hoppiness, abound. The malts are well-balanced with the hop bitterness. This beer could make me lose my way back to reality. This is exceptional brew! Warms as it flows down the throat, leaving a glow from the combination of hops and alcohol.

I could drink this for eternity! Truly a beer worth seeking out! (676 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

I was amazed when I notice the other day that I've never actually written a review of my favorite beer. Not much to say that hasn't been said, but I'll give it a shot. The beer is a beautiful golden hazy yellow, with a big foaming white head that soon dissipates. The nose is classic, fruity and yeasty. The taste is an amazing blend of citrus, malt, and slight sweetness, with the littlest hint of hops. Incredibly drinkable for a 9.0% ABV. This is my go-to beer when I'm just looking for something great to entertain friends or kick back and relax. (550 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance: Poured a cloudy wheat color into my Allagash tulip. About two fingers of thick, white head rose and dissipated to a foamy lacing.

Smell: Reminds me of summer. Deliciously yeasty, reminding me of a hefeweizen. Orange, lemon, apple, and herbs, maybe cloves. Oh, baby!

Taste: That may be the closest I come to heaven...besides when I drink hefe, that is. Follows the enticing aromas. It's yeasty goodness is complimented with flavors of orange, lemon, apple, and cloves (maybe). There's a bit of a hop bite, but the malts dominate, and it just gets better and better as it warms. (I'm really not sure why BA recommends such a cold serving temperature.)

Drinkability: Awesome. Sip the goodness. (705 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance: If apple juice were carbonated and mixed with a splash of water.

Smell: Warm, relaxing, makes you feel that instead of wafting the bottle or glass underneath your nose a few passes, you would stop it and push your face in and inhale deeply.

Taste: It's fair to say this beer gives quickies to all your tastebuds as it gently slithers down. The aftertaste is present for a great deal of time, allowing to savor each part of the taste (fruity, spices, hops) individually.

Mouthfeel: Sharp, not tangy-like but cold refreshing sharp. This isn't to say it is the same as drinking ice water while chewing mint gum but it is crisp, and makes its presence known immediately after flowing past the lips.

Drinkability: As said above and below, this beer is dangerous. If I didn't tell someone the content of this brew and just let them enjoy the taste, they'd drink themselves into a "I did something regrettable" position FAST. The alcohol simply is not tasted or noted. (977 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured a nice golden carbonated yellow into a snifter, with two fingers of bright white head, that laced very well. The smell was off the charts; cloves, allspice, coriander, banana, tart apple, pear, lime, bubble gum...and I know that I'm missing a few. Couldn't wait to start sipping, and when I did, what overwhelmed me was not all of the aforementioned flavors (and then some), but the BALANCE between all of those flavors. Furthermore, the alcohol content was not as evident as expected in the finish. The feel was nicely carbonated and medium, and when I was done with the bomber...which didn't take very long...I wish I had purchased several. (649 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

This is a very fine beer, and yet another reason why Unibroue should be regarded as one of North America's premeir breweries.

Light golden in color, hazy with a *lot* of carbonation. The head dissipated fairly quicky, but perhaps this was due to my glass rather than the beer.

Aroma is fruity, hints of banana and tropical fruit. Yeast is very unobtrusive.

The beer is terrifically balanced, with European hops, gentle corriander, and a peppery cloveish spiciness sitting atop a sweet light malty body. Medium bodied, though feels lighter due to high carbonation. Slightly dry finish. You'll feel the alcohol before you taste it.

Exceptionally well-done tripel. (680 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Probably the biggest shock to my senses from any beer, having this for the first time about 10 years ago. I don't know what was most unique or strange beer I had had up to that point - maybe Delirium Tremens or Skull Splitter. But this made me make a face. By now I've adjusted, shifted to accept and enjoy flavors and sensations a bit further out towards the fringes from this. "La Fin" still excites and just about overwhelms me to this day.

Textbook explosion of Belgian carbonation - egg-shell white spongy foam, slow to fade, but fade it does. Dawn-light yellow-amber juice, heavenly haze. Scent of delicate flowery-perfume and fresh herb green leafiness (cilantro?). Honey-kissed lemon butter cookie, ambiguous enlivening citrus, and chased with residual bottom-dwelling yeasty gunk. Silky and spicy, potent and bold (like the smell) on the tongue. Honey (up front), clove (in and around), and banana tincture (late). Dessert malty along side. Can't underplay the super jolt of young orange/lemon 1/3-sour tang and shaved-sharp herbal rush holding on. The spiciness seems to mask or actually contribute to a restrained, snail-snow rising warmth. Hmmm...it's so smooth and cold-clean, drops off sudden dry - nothing.

Still my favorite beer - love the label, love the post-liminal. (On-tap - a dream unfulfilled) (1,318 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Man, gotta love this beer! This has always been a classic (for me) to fall back on and enjoy whenever i wanted a beer i know that could lift my spirits. Its a shame i am just reviewing it now.

Poured out a hazy yellow, lots of carbonation creating the 2 white bubbly finger head. I loved to watch these bubbles go, the beer had a constant head the whole time drinking it.

Smells of clove and such sweet goodness. Spiced orange/apricot come through and this one smells like a witbier with coriander.

Taste: Freakin fantastic! Sweet spicyness comes right through. Love the spice. alcohol is prsent, but not very considering the 9%. Very creamy.

The mouthfeel is very nice. Lots of carbonation that bites at your toungue. However there is still a big sense of creaminess to the feel.

Unbelievably drinkable. This is one belgium strong that i can have as a session beer. Love it! (890 characters)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue