La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,830 | Hads: 9,307
4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

Hands down one of the best beers I've ever had. The only brew that I have had that comes close to this is Chimay White, which still doesn't stack up. The brew pours a beautiful cloudy orange color with a very large and stable white head. The smell is typical for this type of brew with a slightly strong alcohol smell coming through. The taste and mouthfeel are at the top of the charts for any beer let alone one with 9%. Its sweet, very malty, and has a slight hop presence at the end. Finally, the drinkability is just incredible for any brew let alone one with 9%. I would highly reccommend this to anyone who wants a delicious brew to sip on and enjoy; maybe even have two. (678 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

Exceptionally rich notes of coconut, banana, lemon peel, clove, musk. Complex alchohals being the backbone of it all. Head endures from top to the bottom of the glass, agitated easily by a few swirls of the glass.

Unibroue, represents a vision of what sincere dedication to quality, patience, and character can bring out in the artform that is brewing. (359 characters)

Eye:
Note: I have never gotten a good head or retention on the beers that I have poured into this Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale Snifter; however now that I've poured it this doesn't seem to be a problem.

The brew has excellent head formation and retention. Just as good, if not better than Duvel. The head is big, pillowy, fluffy, white and rocky. There is a bit of lacing as the over-sized head from the pour recedes to a more suitable size. Color is a somewhat hazy straw yellow, or lemon square yellow if you prefer.

Nose: Sweet candi aroma here. A bit of spice from the hops perhaps, but not much else, very clean. Maybe some banana and clove esters as well. Not very potent. Alcohol is well hidden. For me hard to describe because the aroma isn't as potent as I would like.

Tongue: Oh my! What a great tasting brew. It is sweet with a very candied type of flavor. To balance out this sweetness there is a very pleasant and lingering spicy character...weather from hops, yeast phenols, or actual spices it provides the great service of balancing this brew...amazing.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: In the mouth the brew is of a lighter body, with lower levels of carbonation than I would expect for the style. The beer finishes fairly spicy and a bit dry, but not too dry. This is a beer that I'd drink just about any time, not sure if I prefer it over Duvel-sure they're not the same, but they do have similarities-but in my book it is definitely the same quality. I see the two as interchangeable. (1,505 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

750 ml. bottle poured into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a wonderful glowing translucent orange. Has a thick, slick, and frothy white head which dissipates after a short while.

Smell: Fruits, yeast, and spices. A very nice smell -- not overpowering, but maybe not quite strong enough.

Taste: Lots of subdued fruit flavors, combined with spices and yeast. Well-balanced, very tasty, and fairly refreshing. My only (very minor) complaint is that it's not very complex. Otherwise it's exceptional.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly, it's a light- to medium-bodied beer. Quite a bit of light, tingly carbonation as well. Very smooth feel.

Drinkability: If anything, it's probably a bit "too" drinkable, considering the ABV. Don't really notice alcohol in the taste, but at 9% it starts to kick in relatively fast. Goes down really nice and doesn't feel heavy at all.

I'd always wanted to try one of these beers from Unibroue... finally decided to give it a try and picked this one on a whim. I was extremely pleased! An excellent ale that will surely catch your attention if you try it. I will definitely be having this again. (1,143 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

First off i dont review many brews but have had some of the top 100 list easily but really feel this brew deserves a review.

A: Poured into a Stone tulip (im getting a bunch of Belgian chalices tomorrow finally from a guy here in AZ that is in the AZ Trappiste club that is here in AZ, they only drink Belgian style brews and im fortunate enough to become a new member). Nice head 1.5 inches kinda dissipates but not too fast.

S: Im not great at smell but you can definitly smell the sweetness of this brew.

Mouthfeel: "Well it feels great IMHO"!!! PERIOD!

Drinkability: One word "INSANE" in a fantastic way. It 9% abv and cant even taste the alc. at all could seriously drink these all day but the abv would for sure catch up to me. (738 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

I've been drinking this beer for a while. I had to acquire the Belgian taste, but I'm hooked. I bought a sampler 12-pack of Unibroue (La Fin Du Monde, La Gaillarde, Blonde de Chambly, Blanche de Chambly) in Montreal for $16, can you believe that price. Amazing! Now for the review. Poured into a tulip from a 341mL bottle.
A: Golden yellow, 1 1/2 fingers of white 'pillow' head, great retention, lots of lacing, champagne bubbles, clear. The head of this beer makes it really stand out in appearance.
S: Spices, floral, light fruit (apple, pear), yeast and lots of it.
T: Spices, clove, slight apple, sweet honey, and yeast...lot of it
M: Crisp, dry finish, sticky, medium almost heavy body. The body is very nice once the beer warms a little bit.
O: Great beer, Unibroue does the best Belgian style beers outside of Belgium. It's amazing how they can distribute throughout Canada and parts of the US and Europe and still have this great taste. Will I buy this again? Absolutely. (979 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance--Pours a very cloudy, completely opaque pale yellow--almost white. An aggressive pour yields a full two-finger head, which dissipates quickly and leaves just a tad of lacing. The appearance of this beer is absolutely stunning.

Smell--Pretty much exactly what one would expect from a Belgian Tripel; heavy, swirling esters of earthy/ bready yeast, lightly toasted malts, exquisitely delicate spices. The alcohol presence is there, but is hidden very well, deep in the background. Though the yeast presence is the most prominent in the nose, it is soft around the edges and balances well with the spices and malts. It is very, very inviting.

Mouthfeel--Balanced, surprisingly light (but not too light) body, and surprisingly well carbonated for the style. Unbelievably refreshing, given the style.

Taste--The alcohol presence comes through stronger in the taste than in the nose, though it is still very buried and really only appears a bit at the finish. The yeast presence is not at all dense/ "mushroomy", as a tripel can be. This beer is not at all over-sugared or syrupy, as can be the case with some Belgian-style beers.

Overall--I again cannot emphasize enough how refreshing this beer is, given the strength and style. This beer is absolutely exceptional. The only things that I can think to improve upon would be simply matters of personal taste. As far as that goes, I like a tripel with a very strong spice presence in the nose, which is a tad lacking here, but again that is no reflection upon this beer, but my own personal taste. This beer is an absolute must-try. Nearly perfect. (1,609 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

Just a phenomenal high ABV beer. On first impression the taste reminded me of Hoegaarden with a bigger but not obsessive alcohol back end. The wonderful/horrible thing about this beer is how easy it is to drink. It would not be hard to consume 3 or 4 with dinner. I had this beer paired with an Steak, medium rare, and it fit perfectly. (336 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +13.5%

I've had numerous tripels, but this is the best overall in my experience.

It looks positively beautiful pouring out of the bottle, with the perfect lingering head that lasts for several minutes and leaves charmingly asthetic traces for up to 30 minutes, or so.

It smells wonderful. It's like an eclectic mix of the seasons that can be enjoyed year round.

There is a certain smooth thickness to it in the mouth. It is less viscous than other beers, but if you aren't calorie counting it is an amazing feeling.

The highlight of this beer is the taste. I don't think I've ever tasted a better tripel in my life. A variety of spices and fruits blend together smoothly in a pleasing manner that reminds me of cool fall afternoons in New England. It is completely unique and it must be tasted to be understood. (811 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +13.5%

Another extremely good beer from Unibroue!!!

A= This beer pours a cloudy golden color with a thin head that only lasts about half way through the drinking of it.

S= This one smells of alcohol, sweetness, funky yeast, bread, and a bit of fruit.

T= The taste of this beer is outstanding. In my opinion, all that is good in Belgian trippels is represented here. There is that excellently high abv, the funky/fruity yeast flavors and a hint of hard candy sweetness.

MF= The carbonation on this one is just right. Not overflowing with foaminess, but not a low carbonation beer either. It continues to release carbonation throughout.

D= This is my favorite beer from one of my newest favorite breweries. I consider it one of my "staple" beers and highly recommend it. (766 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Finally taking the time to review one of my all time favourite beers; poured into a Leffe chalice.

Appearance is stunning to say the least. A bottle conditioned beer that is a beautiful orange-golden colour. It is cloudy as well, probably due to lack of filtration of the beer ingredients. Pours a bit of head that quickly subsides.

Smell is a wonderful mix of floral and fruit aromas. Very inviting and a good representation of what the first taste of the beer will hold.

Taste consists of a lot of fruit and some malt. Fruits that would be, more or less, the same colour as the beer itself [i.e. - apricot/pear/orange/etc.]. Alcohol is non-existant in taste, but you sure can feel it!

The mouthfeel is different. A thicker bodied beer, which is offset by a refreshing carbonated-citrus bite, that all leads to a dry finish. The dryness is no doubt caused by the massive alcohol content.

Drinkability for this beer is obviously it's strongest asset. To be consumed with the utmost respect, this beer is exceptionally smooth and always rewarding. One of the top 5 beers I've ever experienced... and I've "experienced" a lot of beer.

In my honest opinion, if you're talking value for your money, there are few beers in this world that can match it. The fact that it is Canadian made gives me great hope for the future of beer in my home country... world class indeed! (1,373 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

A simply fantastic beer... have had it many times and it is absolutely one of my favorite beers. I would easily place it in my top 10. Pours with a fantastic off-white head. The aroma is sweet esters mixed with wonderful complex Belgian yeast. The flavor is sweet and fruity with lots of yeast characteristics. Love this stuff! (327 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

My favorite tripel possibly. Had out of both 750ml and regular bottle. This review was from the bottle. 750ml is better IMO. Using a chalice.

A- sexy orangish gold color that is translucent. Thick white head on my pour. Very bubbly almost champagne like.

S- Spicy with some fruity esters. I love the smell of this beer. Typical belgian yeast strain smell.

T- You get your belgian yeast. Slight spice and even less fruit. perfectly blended if you ask me.

M- your clean belgian yeast tripel mouthfeel.

D- the ABV is masked well. id say its easy to drink in the tripel catagory. (580 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a hazy deep straw color. Smells sweet, earthy, yeasty, spicy, and aromatic. The flavors in this beer are so well balanced and the alcohol is so well hidden. Strong wheat flavors and sweet belgian candy sugars are cut by an overall fruity dryness in the beer. The carbonation is strong. I cannot express how easy and enjoyable this beer is to drink. (356 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Possibly my favorite of the style. Good to share&pair with a rack of lamb through a nice dinner. You'll get in trouble sipping this on a Sunday afternoon since the high ABV is masked so well. Simply one of the best Belgian ales with tons of fruits and spices. A must try! (271 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Presentation: 12 oz. foil-capped bottle poured slowly into a Scaldis tulip glass.

Appearance: Cloudy, pale yellowish-orange. This beer requires a slow pour as the head produced from pouring is quite active and intense. The head retention is beautiful, leaving my glass with a pretty lacing.

Smell: Fruity, with some peach notes. The beer is rather phenolic with a faint clove-like aroma from the yeast.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Incredibly smooth a creamy mouthfeel and a decent amount of carbonation to boot. The beer is rather sweet and fruity upfront with some spice. The finish is pretty dry where some hop character is noticable.

Overall: I consider this beer to be the greatest beer made on the continent of North America, and the best beer by the Quebec based Unibroue. This is a phenomenal Belgian-style ale, but also very artisinal and unique for its style. There are simply no other beers in the world like this one. This is a must-try brew! (956 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

This might be one of my all time favorite beers! Amazing! Fun! The cloudy, ancient looking color... wow! Yeasty, perfect carbonation, perfect mouthfeel... words only do this beer an injustice! (192 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

I am sitting here trying to figure out what this beer does not do for me. And all I can think is,.. . . that maybe it could have got to me more directly, and that I could have taken better care of it. With that said, it doesn't even care,. . it still shines, even though there was some dust on the one that I pulled from the deepest reaches of darkness on the display shelf at the super market. I get excited every time I get to have this beer.

Appearance- Liquid gold, with a light, frothy, 3 finger head. Dissipates slowly, but the white layer protecting the jewels never fades. I would five this beer less on appearance, but I feel the lack of lacing is because this glass has been used a couple times tonight already.

Smell- Matly, yeasty (banana, citrus and spice), earthy. It makes you want to smell it thoroughly every time before you have another sip...

Taste- Everything that your nose picks up, with a nice floral, fruit, malt backed bite. .. (do yourself a favor and try this beer at different temperatures,.. i liked it a bit colder,.. and now its coming up to about it goes from biscuit, to banana and,.. kind of complexity that I hate to try to describe, but balanced all at the same time,...

Feel- silky smooth with a slight carb bite that wakes up your taste buds.

Drinkability - I had to find something that wasn't perfect,.. I would drink this all night, but I can't afford it, and I would appear a lightweight after slamming 9%'s all night,.. but for 9%.. it's amazing.

Eh! Go Canada! Sidney Crosby! MAF! (1,531 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured into an Allagash tulip from a 750ml caged and corked bottle.

Pour: Very clear straw coloring with foamy head that quickly disappears.

Aroma: Apple, alcohol, peppercorn, clove, Belgian yeast funk, and twizzler. The aroma also has a strong alcohol hint, and is a bit medicinal.

Taste: Sweet fruit flavors up front, some pear or nectarine with apples and honey. Very estery. If you really search for it, there is a bit of hop bitterness that rounds out the flavor, and probably helps with the dry finish. Pepper, cloves, funk, and a bit of banana help to round out the palate. very complex, a delicious beer.

Overall: This really is a perfect beer. Endless complexity, very delicious. I could keep drinking bottles of this, and continually find new flavors without growing tired of it. (793 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Hazy straw gold under a 2” white foam column that dissipates to a thick film that grips the side of the glass.
S: Banana, orange peel, spice.
T: Big fruit flavors feature banana, orange, and tropical fruit.
F: big and creamy with above average carbonation, medium body and a little bite from the carbonation.
O: A big yeast driven beer full of Belgian flavor. (368 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +13.9%

this one is one of my personal favorites. im actually drinking it tonight. the taste is unique and you can really taste the apples. its usually too expensive for me to want to buy but every now and then it can be found at a nice price. the 750ml is usually too expensive as well but worth it for a nice occasion. theres not too much carbonation in it either. real nice. (369 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Simply outstanding. I wish I could bathe in this stuff. Cloudy straw in color. Some people may knock it for being so hazy and unrefined. I personally like beer that is cloudy..it adds to the mystery. The yeast really add complexities layed upon more complexities. I am somewhat at a loss as to how to describe the taste. Others have mentioned tart apples...yeah maybe, but so much more. Each sip is a new experience. A beer that no doubt would age well. Unibroue is an expectional brewery, and this is (in my opinion) their best offering. (538 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Pale golden in color with a huge white head. Head stays fairly well. Excellent aroma that I'm taking great pleasure in. Black pepper spiciness, tart fruitiness, breadiness, and plain old yeast. Sure, it doesn't sound like much, but it certainly is a pleasure to sniff. And to drink...! Wow, I'm impressed. Sweetness and black pepper, odd combination? No way, it's great! Up front it's a little hoppy, then in the middle it gets to the sweet and peppery bit. Bready and a little yeasty as well, all the way through. Tangy citrus and fruitiness shows up at the back a bit more. Hop bitterness is really brought out in the finish, making it very crisp. Medium body. You'd never guess at the abv. Not a hint of it is detectable! A wonderful representation of the style, one of the best even. A wonderful beer in itself. It makes you think, what if the world was about to end? What would be your last beer? I'd say this wouldn't be a bad choice at all. (947 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance - An orange golden w/ minimal white head

Smell - it was a citrus smell with some coriender seed mixed into it.

Taste - A strong corriender seed and citrus combination. very very good, it was a very unique taste that i haven't tasted before.

Mouthfeel - very crisp with alot of carbonation, very smooth and delightful to drink on a beautiful summer day.

Drinkability - very drinkable, i have to remember this is a 9% beer since it doesn't have a hint of alcohol in its flavor. I could drink this all day and is by far my favorite triple yet. (556 characters)

serving type - 330 ml bottle. from a tulip

appearance - a light copper pour, good head that fades moderately but sticks. lacing is nice and coats the glass with a certain grasp. a bit hazy which is nice if you ask me. very inviting.

smell - very similar to delerium tremens. tropical scents purge my nostrils along with distinctive spice and a slight hop scent. alcohol is faint but a bit evident. smells just extraordinary, nothing like it.

taste - like a nice ol' kick in the mouth, it simply floods to the nooks and crannies of your mouth and shows them what exactly delicous taste is like. just pleasant all around. strong notes of fruitiness along with a slight bitter twinge from the hop character. finishes crispy and clean yet resides enough to prepare you for the next sip. taste is also very similar to delerium tremens, curious if they use the same or a similar yeast strain.

mouthfeel - not heavy at all but not light. very good balance on the palette and really quite nice. just makes you want another drink.

drinkability - very easy drinking, though it does have some depth so you have to draw the line somewhere, surely only out of fullness and not out of boredom with flavor. just a premium beer, delicious at every point of the beer from top to bottom.

tip - serve in a tulip, perfect for the nose and helps with the head just a bit. great to share with friends and family. just a great beer. (1,427 characters)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue