La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 9,171 | Reviews: 2,862
4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

My third tasting of the beer. First one seemed funked. Second was great. Third matches second so I will chalk the first tasting (undrinkable) to a bad bottle

Beer is a hazy yellow color with foamy head that does not linger much.

Slight fruity flavor with a grape hint.

You can feel the warmth of the alcohol but it is not overbearing.

Very drinkable. Watch out for the alcohol.

Great beer. I can see why it is so highly thought of.

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured one from a 750ML Corked Bottle that I have held onto for close to a year. Used a tulip shaped glass.
Pretty nice head with good carbonation. Nice aroma with hints of bannana. Now for the first taste of the night. I find this to have a nice fruity character with a slight warming aftertaste. I really am surprised by the 9% ABV. This beer hides it 's strength well. Very pleasant mouthfeel for this brew. Overall this is an excellent beer that I highly recommend.

750ml caged and corked. best before 1-10-10

A-Abeautiful cloudy orange with a thick marshmallow like fluffy 3 inch head that lingers. Massive ammounts of lace. Gorgeous

S-Bread and oranges. a perfume like alcohol level permeates the nose. This smells divine.

T-Sweet sugars first glance the tongue followed up by a wonderful dryness. There is also a certain hint of sourness and umami. This hits all areas of the tongue. Notes of pepper, coriander, allspice can be detected. Despite this being strong I cannot detect the alcohol. I also do not taste banana or clove like in some of the others of this style yet there is still a distinctive yeasty pholic taste.

M-Super creamy and yet at the same time light. It glides through the mouth.

D- This one is dangerously good. This might just be my desert island beer. I was wowed by this back in 1996 and I am wowed by it now. A masterpiece.

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours cloudy yellow. smells fruity and yeasty.Nice one inch white head and holds it's lace well. Fruity tasting with bubbly champagne like carbonation. Tart fruit, possibly pears along with bread. I like beer that is bubbly. Not much malt or hops up front. Alchohol is also well hidden. I cannot pick out what the finish on the back of my tongue is. I must say in this category there is some very strong competition, but it is hard to find a better tripel. This is one fine beer and a dangerous beer. Way too drinkable!! The key is proper storage, since our system is run by the state storage must be proper since it makes different batches taste differently.

Note: As I drink this beer more, I like it more. I am raising it's rating.

Poured into a Duvel tulip

Pours a pale almost orange golden colour with a thick white head. A little bit of lacing left on the glass. Smells of sweet fruit and yeast, quite lovely. Taste is incredible was overly cold when served but warms up brilliantly and only gets better as it warms. Nice mouthfeel, slightly thick all the way through. Drinks very easy for an ABV of 9. The best canadian version of the style, maybe one of the best examples of the style period. Highly recommended.

4.87/5  rDev +12.7%

Presentation: It was poured from a 750ml bottle that is corked and caged into a chalice.

Appearance: It has a hazy body with a light golden amber color with a pale orange hue. The head is smooth, thick and creamy with good retention. It has a creamy off white color and it leaves behind soft lacing as it is slowly sipped down to the bottom of the glass.

Smell: The aroma is full and fruity. There is sweet orange citrus and spicy character with a big hit of yeast and tropical fruits like pineapple.

Taste/Mouth feel: It has a sweet rich and fruity malt and yeast flavor up front. Tropical fruit like pineapple and guava are noted. Soft spices come out and the alcohol starts to warm things up. Hops add a light citrus and leafy flavor before the yeast comes back out and turns powdery and slightly dry in the slow lingering finish. The texture is smooth and creamy with perfect carbonation for the medium body.

Notes: Outstanding and wonderfully complex with great drinkability.

4.87/5  rDev +12.7%

Big fan of triples and have herd nothing but great things of this beer. Pours a cloudy golden pretty much hefweizen in appearance. Head builds and dispates. Smell is exceptional. smashed fruits, alcohol soaked breads, malts, citrus, fresh cut grass and cedar. I could go on of about the complexity of this beer in terms of smell and taste very good. Taste is flowers fresh cut herbs very earthy in many aspects. Very drinkable the flavor of this beer hides much of the alcohol tones. Top ten beers of all time in my opinion simply beautiful.

750 ml bottle into a mug

A - Somewhat cloudy, pale orange/yellow color, two finger head that dissolved fairly quickly, no real lacing but appetizing appearance

S - Exquisite citrus scent, mostly orange; some yeast scent as well, along with a general fruitiness; smells a lot like a wheat beer, but more complex

T - Excellent taste, citrus flavors (again, orange mainly), mostly malt,smells pour through during the drink, full/great taste, overwhelming sweetness, some light bitters to close; some alcohol flavor but fairly good given how high the content is

M - Lots of carbonation, but a nice creamy feel, fairly short aftertaste

D - Really great beer - after smelling it I just hoped the taste would live up to it, and amazingly it was; possibly the best beer I've ever tasted, no matter the high alcohol content

4.87/5  rDev +12.7%

A straw color with a huge foamy white head and nice lacing left behind. High carbonation present. A very sweet yeasty smell with a nice aroma of fruits. Pear comes to mind. The taste is a sweet tangy blend of fruits. Apricot and pear standout. Floral traces and a extremely sweet sugary taste. Robust spicy flavors and a warming alcohol feel. To say the least this is a very tasty beer and I know what I'll be drinking if armageddon comes around.

Notes: I picked up a bunk 750ml once but haven't had any carbonation problems with the 12oz. bottles.

4.87/5  rDev +12.7%

In my review for Maudite, I mentioned that you can definitely notice the 8% abv, but I didn't notice the 9% abv in la Fin Du Monde at all. I'm not sure I'll ever drink a beer I like more than this in my entire life. Smells and tastes relatively sweet, and is a pretty cloudy golden color. Mouthfeel and drinkability are incredible as the alcohol is hidden so well that I could drink this like, forever. Now that I've tried Unibroue I'm gonna save them for nice occasions since I can't live my life spending this much on beer...

4.87/5  rDev +12.7%

appearance: pours cloudy golden amber with a small head.

smell: a complex aroma of fruits, bread and, spices. Banana really stands out.

taste: floral fruity elements are noticed imediately with lingering spice.

mouthfeel: very smooth and dry.

drinkability: I could drink this beer all night but at 9% abv that may be a bad idea.

4.87/5  rDev +12.7%

Flawless, hazy-orange pour. A frothy and rich white head holds respectable retention.

I hardly needed to hold my nose up to the head to catch the intensly sweet aromas. Very orange and citric with malty-rich hints of yeast.

Incredible flavor. I need not continue but I will. One of the best brews I have had the pleasure to enjoy. A subtle zestiness enriches the palate followed by a tangy, semi-sweet finish that represents the perfect tripel ale. Way too smooth going down - abv content masked unmercifully.

Carbonation was consistent and well balanced with the rest of the beer. Suprisingly lighter texture and feel than was expecting but in pleasing way.

Never had a tripel better than this one. Too easy to drink and so delicious, I cherished this glass of beer. On to the next Unibrue!

4.87/5  rDev +12.7%

no cataclysm when I opened the brown bottle, but beer poured a straw / topaz yellow and is very aromatic...to me it is like combining a sparkly white wine like a riesling or pinot gris and giving it the citrus tones of witbier or even your basic blue moon.

the taste is very nice...you expect over the top strength but really any initial hoppiness is mellowed out with a nice, pepper spice and wild fruit.

mouthfeel remains light and the carbonation and cling are doing well here at the bottom of the glass.

superb. absolute nectar.

4.87/5  rDev +12.7%

12oz bottle, foil covered twist-cap.

A: Pours a golden haze with thick white head that takes a while to dissipate. Sticky lace remains on glass after consumed. Lots of visible carbonation.

S: Lots of yeast, cider, wheat, and some spices.

T: Beyond words on the taste. Maybe a peppercorn spice with cloves, possibly bannana and other citrus. Loads of balanced spices, with a hint of hops and slight sour taste that's soothed by malty sucrose.

M: Lots of malt and carbonation. No bad taste from 9% ABV.

D: 4.5/5

Normally I don't review beers, but I thought Unibroue just did exceptional with this beer. Will be at the top of my list for a long time.

4.87/5  rDev +12.7%

My second Unibroue, and I am hooked. I love the hazy, orange-yellow look of this beer. Someone mentioned mysterious, and I agree. The smell is intoxicating, fruity, peppery, an almost exotic spiciness. The taste is equally amazing, like a burst of flavors that go off in different directions that meld together to create a perfect balance of sweet fruitiness, bitter orange rind, and peppery spice. I want another.

4.87/5  rDev +12.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a goblet.

Very cloudy looking coming out of the bottle during the pour. It settles very nicely into the glass creating a 1/2 inch dense white head which dissipated very quickly leaving only a ring on the outside. The color is golden saffron. The smell of this is incredible. I immediately smell strong floral, fruits and spice with a touch of honey included. The taste immediately brings out the floral aspects, the most of any beer I've ever had. I can't quite decide which fruits I detect, but the spice notes at the end are delicious and create a dry finish. This reminds me of champagne because of the high carbonation feel and such a dry finish. A wonderful tripel.

Side note: I first tried this beer about (maybe) 10 years ago while on a ski trip in Quebec. I picked it up at a small package store just outside the tiny town of Magog. The only reason I bought it was because I like the label of the bottle. I placed this outside of my hotel balcony in the snow and drank it right from the bottle, ice cold. Immediately, this became one of my favorite beers and I did not realize it was available in my area until a few years ago.

4.88/5  rDev +13%

What could one possibly say about La Fin Du Monde?

That it's delicate subtly is only matched by its underlining complexity?

That the scent of ripe fruit rewards the drinker with unparalleled spice and yeast notes?

That the tulup glass fills magnificently with the golden elixir to showcase it world class appearance?

Or that it's 9% ABV is masked so masterfully that even the most jaded drinker will be impressed by its drinkability?

With that said La Fin Du Monde is easily one of the best triples ever brewed and makes a strong case for itself to be one of the best beers ever brewed. Its craftsmanship rivals that of even the top genuine Belgium breweries.

4.88/5  rDev +13%

One of the best Blonde ales out there, eh

4.88/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Great taste, good color and smell.

4.88/5  rDev +13%

Appearance: Golden orange. Creamy white head and lots of it. Great retention. Lots of tiny bubbles. Minimal lacing. Looks amazing.

Aroma: Yeast, light fruit, crisp apples and some citrus, buttery diacetyl

Taste: Fantastic. Follows nose. Big champagne-like carbonation. Lots of yeast. Buttery smooth. A bit boozy. Cloves, some honey sweetness. Also quite spicy.

Mouthfeel: Again super carbonated, but goes down smooth. Warms the mouth.

Overall: Amazing. Well worth whatever they're charging where you can find it

4.88/5  rDev +13%

i love the unibroue brewery, every time i try one of their beers i declare it my favorite, until i try the next one that makes me reconsider. this tripel pours a very nice golden color, with snow-white head and good carbonation...looks like duvel to me. smells are spicy, citrusy, and a little hoppy. tastes great, floral hops, some citrus, hints of clove, and a nice, crisp and spicy finish. an interesting spicy taste makes an appearance, almost like cracked peppercorns, but not at5 all overwhelming. almost no alcohol flavor in this one, despite its powerful 9% presence. has a nice medium to thick body, and the lacy head stayed to the end. absolutely delicious brew. very drinkable, i had one, but could easily have drank a couple more with pleasure and without difficulty. i believe a more apt name woud be "la fin du concurrence" (end of competition) because its really that good.

4.88/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Exceptional. Best tripel I have ever tasted.

4.88/5  rDev +13%

Hands down one of the best beers I've ever had. The only brew that I have had that comes close to this is Chimay White, which still doesn't stack up. The brew pours a beautiful cloudy orange color with a very large and stable white head. The smell is typical for this type of brew with a slightly strong alcohol smell coming through. The taste and mouthfeel are at the top of the charts for any beer let alone one with 9%. Its sweet, very malty, and has a slight hop presence at the end. Finally, the drinkability is just incredible for any brew let alone one with 9%. I would highly reccommend this to anyone who wants a delicious brew to sip on and enjoy; maybe even have two.

4.88/5  rDev +13%

Exceptionally rich notes of coconut, banana, lemon peel, clove, musk. Complex alchohals being the backbone of it all. Head endures from top to the bottom of the glass, agitated easily by a few swirls of the glass.

Unibroue, represents a vision of what sincere dedication to quality, patience, and character can bring out in the artform that is brewing.

Eye:
Note: I have never gotten a good head or retention on the beers that I have poured into this Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale Snifter; however now that I've poured it this doesn't seem to be a problem.

The brew has excellent head formation and retention. Just as good, if not better than Duvel. The head is big, pillowy, fluffy, white and rocky. There is a bit of lacing as the over-sized head from the pour recedes to a more suitable size. Color is a somewhat hazy straw yellow, or lemon square yellow if you prefer.

Nose: Sweet candi aroma here. A bit of spice from the hops perhaps, but not much else, very clean. Maybe some banana and clove esters as well. Not very potent. Alcohol is well hidden. For me hard to describe because the aroma isn't as potent as I would like.

Tongue: Oh my! What a great tasting brew. It is sweet with a very candied type of flavor. To balance out this sweetness there is a very pleasant and lingering spicy character...weather from hops, yeast phenols, or actual spices it provides the great service of balancing this brew...amazing.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: In the mouth the brew is of a lighter body, with lower levels of carbonation than I would expect for the style. The beer finishes fairly spicy and a bit dry, but not too dry. This is a beer that I'd drink just about any time, not sure if I prefer it over Duvel-sure they're not the same, but they do have similarities-but in my book it is definitely the same quality. I see the two as interchangeable.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue