La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,859 | Hads: 9,465
4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Ah, memories. I finally meet up again with the beer I enjoyed the most back during my winter trip in Canada. A plate of poutine on a 25 degree (F) afternoon in Montréal and a bottle of this at Frite Alors remains one of my fuzziest memories of the trip. But now, will a change of culture and weather in Southern Califronia change the enjoyement level of this beer? Time to find out:

What a beautful pour it does into my Stella Artois chalice, and what a beautiful sight when the pouring ritual is finished. An unfiltered golden blonde in color with a big billowy head on top. Too bad the retention isn't perfect. An attractive aroma of fruits (with apricots the most dominating) lure me closer to the glass for a sip. The taste is so close to heaven, even for the style. Upfront with a peppery fruit flavor, but the spiciness won't have you bowing to it. The sweetness pushes in and keeps the spiciness from being too much. Warming alcohol is persistent in the throat.

I've forgotten how much I loved this beer. A change of scenery showed no change in the experience, although it wasn't enjoyed around Québeçois surroundings for a truly authentic one. A masterpiece of a brew!

Oh, and hooray to me for being the 1000th reviewer of this gem!

Re-review from my original post on 01-27-12

Poured from a 12oz screw-top(!) bottle (Best Before date: 11 -29-14) into a 14oz Libbey snifter.

A- Pours a cloudy, golden/yellow with a 2-finger head dissipating rather quickly.

S- Remarkable and wonderfully complex...Granny Smith apple, (green) grape, lemon peel, orange, banana, biscuit, clove and allspice are all present in the nose.

T- Everything present in the nose is found on the palate with citrus rind and spice as the dominate flavors. Very, very well balanced.

M- Aggressive carbonation makes all the flavors dance across your palate and finishes very dry like a sparkling wine/champagne.

O- Simply awesome and perhaps my favorite of the Unibroue classics (next to Maudite). Like Duvel, I suggest sampling La Fin Du Monde as fresh as possilbe (under the right conditions, 36-48 month shelf life).

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle, BBD of 07-06-09 stamped on the back label, poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy - completely opaque in fact - pale orange color. The head formed a good 2-3 fingers thick and faded very slowly.

Aroma: Sweet and sugary, with the familiar unibroue yeast in the background.

Taste: Spicy cloves and peppers up front, then it turns very sweet in the middle with some fruits, mainly orange. The finish starts off sweet but fades as the powdery yeast becomes dominant.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy. The carbonation is very lively and fits the style well.

Overall: In my opinion, this is one of the best Belgian-style ales brewed in all of North America.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Pop goes the cork, and rush goes the foamy head out of the bottle. Pour it and then gaze in astonishment at the hazy golden brew. Enjoy the enormous whipped texture head that seems to rejuvenate itself after every sip. Smell the wonderfully citric, yeasty and spicy aroma. And then sip it. YUMM! Perfect mouthfeel and perfect carbonation. This beer is full of spiciness, yeastiness, fruitiness, sweetness, sweetness, twanginess(if that's a word), and some alcohol of course. 9% at that. And it's barely noticeable. Most definitely my favorite Unibroue offering. Go drink this beauty.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

This one is one of my favorites. Ironically I haven't tried a real belgian tripel from belgium yet, but I've tried most of the other varieties so far (Dubbel, Quad, Saison, Pale).

Poured out of a 750ml bottle into a stemless wine glass.

It pours beautifully with a white 1.5 inch head. The color is a translucent glossy gold which looks very pleasant indeed! There is a fair amount of retention which reduces to a constant 8th inch head throughout the glass.

The smell is what is expected of a good tripel - banana, malt, ester, belgian yeast, sugars, mild citrius, and an ever present hint of alcohol. very pleasant and warming.

The taste is packed with complex flavors - a fruity/floral hop front which is balanced by a subtle malt back ground all encompassed by the typical, delicious belgian yeast flavor. There's a good bit of sugary flavor, but it's nothing close to cloying or overwhelming. Amazingly pleasant. There's also a slight bit of alcohol in the back end which warms everything up without being harsh or unpleasant.

the mouthfeel is medium thick and luxurious accompanied by plenty of carbonation. it's so satisfying and really begs for another sip. i have to admit it gets me tipsy quite quickly, but if I could, I would drinks all night long, glass after glass.

For me, the la fin du monde is the epitome of beer. world class indeed!

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

I had a chance to try this on accident. After eating dinner out at a french restaurant my party and I ended up at the bar talking with the owner. I expressed my fondness for beer as he had 4 bottles in front of him. He was trying new beers for his beer list - although this beer is from Quebec - I think the French name was more important.

I found the beer to have a crisp sensation, the flavor was earthy and only mildly sweet, while there was malt flavor I would not have pegged the ABV at 9% . I found the finish of the beer to leave only a subtle bite from the hops. I don't consider my ability to separate traditional flavor accents very good so I will leave it at that.

Overall, this is a beer I would drink alone or with a meal in a heart beat. I will likely pick some up next opportunity I have and were I to see it out a restaurant, I'd pay decently for it.

I ended up recommending this beer strongly to owner, especially given the traditional french menu. Anything that you would pair a hearty red wine to you could probably pair this to as well.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

I had this from a 12 oz brown bottle and served in a tulip glass as suggested on the label. There is a best before date clearly labeled for 08/16/07. Nice looking bottle with a foil top.

Pours a hazy golden yellow with a foamy white head on top. Scattered sticky lacings cling to the sides of the glass.

Aroma of cloves, yeast, fruity esters, and a tad of spices in the background.

This is one of amazing beer. I am impressed. Very smooth with pressured carbonation on the tongue. Orange citrus flavors, cloves and peppery spices blend together for an inviting experience for the palate. In all respects, this beer reminds me of a Belgian Tripel.

This is an excellent beer and only leaves me wondering why I haven't had this beer before. Highly recommended.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

My third tasting of the beer. First one seemed funked. Second was great. Third matches second so I will chalk the first tasting (undrinkable) to a bad bottle

Beer is a hazy yellow color with foamy head that does not linger much.

Slight fruity flavor with a grape hint.

You can feel the warmth of the alcohol but it is not overbearing.

Very drinkable. Watch out for the alcohol.

Great beer. I can see why it is so highly thought of.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured one from a 750ML Corked Bottle that I have held onto for close to a year. Used a tulip shaped glass.
Pretty nice head with good carbonation. Nice aroma with hints of bannana. Now for the first taste of the night. I find this to have a nice fruity character with a slight warming aftertaste. I really am surprised by the 9% ABV. This beer hides it 's strength well. Very pleasant mouthfeel for this brew. Overall this is an excellent beer that I highly recommend.

750ml caged and corked. best before 1-10-10

A-Abeautiful cloudy orange with a thick marshmallow like fluffy 3 inch head that lingers. Massive ammounts of lace. Gorgeous

S-Bread and oranges. a perfume like alcohol level permeates the nose. This smells divine.

T-Sweet sugars first glance the tongue followed up by a wonderful dryness. There is also a certain hint of sourness and umami. This hits all areas of the tongue. Notes of pepper, coriander, allspice can be detected. Despite this being strong I cannot detect the alcohol. I also do not taste banana or clove like in some of the others of this style yet there is still a distinctive yeasty pholic taste.

M-Super creamy and yet at the same time light. It glides through the mouth.

D- This one is dangerously good. This might just be my desert island beer. I was wowed by this back in 1996 and I am wowed by it now. A masterpiece.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours cloudy yellow. smells fruity and yeasty.Nice one inch white head and holds it's lace well. Fruity tasting with bubbly champagne like carbonation. Tart fruit, possibly pears along with bread. I like beer that is bubbly. Not much malt or hops up front. Alchohol is also well hidden. I cannot pick out what the finish on the back of my tongue is. I must say in this category there is some very strong competition, but it is hard to find a better tripel. This is one fine beer and a dangerous beer. Way too drinkable!! The key is proper storage, since our system is run by the state storage must be proper since it makes different batches taste differently.

Note: As I drink this beer more, I like it more. I am raising it's rating.

Poured into a Duvel tulip

Pours a pale almost orange golden colour with a thick white head. A little bit of lacing left on the glass. Smells of sweet fruit and yeast, quite lovely. Taste is incredible was overly cold when served but warms up brilliantly and only gets better as it warms. Nice mouthfeel, slightly thick all the way through. Drinks very easy for an ABV of 9. The best canadian version of the style, maybe one of the best examples of the style period. Highly recommended.

4.86/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I enjoy beers, and follow this site to determine which new beers to try. I generally do not like "fruity" beers.

This beer has a very obvious apricot taste. It is also very sweet.

Can't say that I have ever had a tripel before, but what I can say, is the only reason this beer does not receive a 5 in all categories is that the apricot taste remains with me all night no matter what beers I drink.

This is an absolute must try beer, and deserves every mark that it gets.

4.87/5  rDev +13%

Presentation: It was poured from a 750ml bottle that is corked and caged into a chalice.

Appearance: It has a hazy body with a light golden amber color with a pale orange hue. The head is smooth, thick and creamy with good retention. It has a creamy off white color and it leaves behind soft lacing as it is slowly sipped down to the bottom of the glass.

Smell: The aroma is full and fruity. There is sweet orange citrus and spicy character with a big hit of yeast and tropical fruits like pineapple.

Taste/Mouth feel: It has a sweet rich and fruity malt and yeast flavor up front. Tropical fruit like pineapple and guava are noted. Soft spices come out and the alcohol starts to warm things up. Hops add a light citrus and leafy flavor before the yeast comes back out and turns powdery and slightly dry in the slow lingering finish. The texture is smooth and creamy with perfect carbonation for the medium body.

Notes: Outstanding and wonderfully complex with great drinkability.

4.87/5  rDev +13%

Big fan of triples and have herd nothing but great things of this beer. Pours a cloudy golden pretty much hefweizen in appearance. Head builds and dispates. Smell is exceptional. smashed fruits, alcohol soaked breads, malts, citrus, fresh cut grass and cedar. I could go on of about the complexity of this beer in terms of smell and taste very good. Taste is flowers fresh cut herbs very earthy in many aspects. Very drinkable the flavor of this beer hides much of the alcohol tones. Top ten beers of all time in my opinion simply beautiful.

750 ml bottle into a mug

A - Somewhat cloudy, pale orange/yellow color, two finger head that dissolved fairly quickly, no real lacing but appetizing appearance

S - Exquisite citrus scent, mostly orange; some yeast scent as well, along with a general fruitiness; smells a lot like a wheat beer, but more complex

T - Excellent taste, citrus flavors (again, orange mainly), mostly malt,smells pour through during the drink, full/great taste, overwhelming sweetness, some light bitters to close; some alcohol flavor but fairly good given how high the content is

M - Lots of carbonation, but a nice creamy feel, fairly short aftertaste

D - Really great beer - after smelling it I just hoped the taste would live up to it, and amazingly it was; possibly the best beer I've ever tasted, no matter the high alcohol content

4.87/5  rDev +13%

A straw color with a huge foamy white head and nice lacing left behind. High carbonation present. A very sweet yeasty smell with a nice aroma of fruits. Pear comes to mind. The taste is a sweet tangy blend of fruits. Apricot and pear standout. Floral traces and a extremely sweet sugary taste. Robust spicy flavors and a warming alcohol feel. To say the least this is a very tasty beer and I know what I'll be drinking if armageddon comes around.

Notes: I picked up a bunk 750ml once but haven't had any carbonation problems with the 12oz. bottles.

4.87/5  rDev +13%

In my review for Maudite, I mentioned that you can definitely notice the 8% abv, but I didn't notice the 9% abv in la Fin Du Monde at all. I'm not sure I'll ever drink a beer I like more than this in my entire life. Smells and tastes relatively sweet, and is a pretty cloudy golden color. Mouthfeel and drinkability are incredible as the alcohol is hidden so well that I could drink this like, forever. Now that I've tried Unibroue I'm gonna save them for nice occasions since I can't live my life spending this much on beer...

4.87/5  rDev +13%

appearance: pours cloudy golden amber with a small head.

smell: a complex aroma of fruits, bread and, spices. Banana really stands out.

taste: floral fruity elements are noticed imediately with lingering spice.

mouthfeel: very smooth and dry.

drinkability: I could drink this beer all night but at 9% abv that may be a bad idea.

4.87/5  rDev +13%

Flawless, hazy-orange pour. A frothy and rich white head holds respectable retention.

I hardly needed to hold my nose up to the head to catch the intensly sweet aromas. Very orange and citric with malty-rich hints of yeast.

Incredible flavor. I need not continue but I will. One of the best brews I have had the pleasure to enjoy. A subtle zestiness enriches the palate followed by a tangy, semi-sweet finish that represents the perfect tripel ale. Way too smooth going down - abv content masked unmercifully.

Carbonation was consistent and well balanced with the rest of the beer. Suprisingly lighter texture and feel than was expecting but in pleasing way.

Never had a tripel better than this one. Too easy to drink and so delicious, I cherished this glass of beer. On to the next Unibrue!

4.87/5  rDev +13%

no cataclysm when I opened the brown bottle, but beer poured a straw / topaz yellow and is very aromatic...to me it is like combining a sparkly white wine like a riesling or pinot gris and giving it the citrus tones of witbier or even your basic blue moon.

the taste is very nice...you expect over the top strength but really any initial hoppiness is mellowed out with a nice, pepper spice and wild fruit.

mouthfeel remains light and the carbonation and cling are doing well here at the bottom of the glass.

superb. absolute nectar.

4.87/5  rDev +13%

12oz bottle, foil covered twist-cap.

A: Pours a golden haze with thick white head that takes a while to dissipate. Sticky lace remains on glass after consumed. Lots of visible carbonation.

S: Lots of yeast, cider, wheat, and some spices.

T: Beyond words on the taste. Maybe a peppercorn spice with cloves, possibly bannana and other citrus. Loads of balanced spices, with a hint of hops and slight sour taste that's soothed by malty sucrose.

M: Lots of malt and carbonation. No bad taste from 9% ABV.

D: 4.5/5

Normally I don't review beers, but I thought Unibroue just did exceptional with this beer. Will be at the top of my list for a long time.

4.87/5  rDev +13%

My second Unibroue, and I am hooked. I love the hazy, orange-yellow look of this beer. Someone mentioned mysterious, and I agree. The smell is intoxicating, fruity, peppery, an almost exotic spiciness. The taste is equally amazing, like a burst of flavors that go off in different directions that meld together to create a perfect balance of sweet fruitiness, bitter orange rind, and peppery spice. I want another.

4.87/5  rDev +13%

12 oz. bottle poured into a goblet.

Very cloudy looking coming out of the bottle during the pour. It settles very nicely into the glass creating a 1/2 inch dense white head which dissipated very quickly leaving only a ring on the outside. The color is golden saffron. The smell of this is incredible. I immediately smell strong floral, fruits and spice with a touch of honey included. The taste immediately brings out the floral aspects, the most of any beer I've ever had. I can't quite decide which fruits I detect, but the spice notes at the end are delicious and create a dry finish. This reminds me of champagne because of the high carbonation feel and such a dry finish. A wonderful tripel.

Side note: I first tried this beer about (maybe) 10 years ago while on a ski trip in Quebec. I picked it up at a small package store just outside the tiny town of Magog. The only reason I bought it was because I like the label of the bottle. I placed this outside of my hotel balcony in the snow and drank it right from the bottle, ice cold. Immediately, this became one of my favorite beers and I did not realize it was available in my area until a few years ago.

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

What could one possibly say about La Fin Du Monde?

That it's delicate subtly is only matched by its underlining complexity?

That the scent of ripe fruit rewards the drinker with unparalleled spice and yeast notes?

That the tulup glass fills magnificently with the golden elixir to showcase it world class appearance?

Or that it's 9% ABV is masked so masterfully that even the most jaded drinker will be impressed by its drinkability?

With that said La Fin Du Monde is easily one of the best triples ever brewed and makes a strong case for itself to be one of the best beers ever brewed. Its craftsmanship rivals that of even the top genuine Belgium breweries.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue