2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,106 | Reviews: 2,692 | Show All Ratings:
DoctorStrangiato

Alberta (Canada)

3.23/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured a 341-ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance - cloudy, creamy golden blonde ale with an off-white foamy head. Head lasts for a bit and then subsides to a 1/4-inch. Fairly active carbonation observed.

Smell - spicy floral hops with an herbal quality take center-stage remeniscent of some Belgian witbier I've tasted.

Taste - peppery, nearly medicinal clove taste over some refreshing bitters. Spiced taste definitely makes this a winter selection. Hardly any taste of alcohol in this but a warming feeling occurs after a few sips.

Mouthfeel - overall a pretty smooth beer. The wave of spices is a bit much for me but that's where it's at.

Drinkability - very easy going down for the alcohol content. You would never realize this is a 9% brew.

02-06-2010 03:14:10 | More by DoctorStrangiato
jvillefan

3.23/5  rDev -25.2%

A: It is a very foggy light yellow with no head when poured.

S: Very fruity. There are aromas of banana, citrus, and lemon. Very strong aroma.

T: Just ok. The aromas mentioned above carry over into the very bold taste.

M: Very very fizzy. The beer is watery.

O: The only reason I bought this was because it was on the top 100 and I wanted to try a tripple. I was not impressed and I am surprised it was on the list to begin with.

11-10-2011 04:45:36 | More by jvillefan
Mojo

Alabama

3.26/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle -> snifter

A - pours up a pale gold with an initial two finger head which quickly dissipates leaving only a retention ring and no lacing.

S - Not much on the nose. I mainly get bananas

T - heavy taste of crab apples, sweet and sour all at once with a very dry yeasty finish and some booziness.

M - kind of boozy

O - the only other beer I've from Unibroue was Trois Pistoles. I loved it, but this is not my cup of tea at all.

07-12-2013 02:23:29 | More by Mojo
appenzeller

Washington

3.28/5  rDev -24.1%

Pours an amber with orange and lemonade looks. Thick head that dissipates quickly leaving a common lacing.

Smells slightly sweet, apples, and moderate hoppiness.

For those who enjoy a beer that is based on sweetness and has some complexity on top of that, it's fine. For me, it's simply too sweet. Nice notes of lemon, cider, and tangy through the finish but I can't help but feel like I'm quaffing quintessentially glorified sugar water.

We all have our perspective. This beer just doesn't resonate with me. I realize this is a top shelf brew for many folks, for me it is just another flawed brew that aspires to greatness. Definitely not the "fin" of my "monde." Having Quebec ties I'd like this beer to be special but for me, it's not.

06-12-2010 08:51:43 | More by appenzeller
DPFRD

Arizona

3.28/5  rDev -24.1%

A- Golden and murky. Head started large but disappeared to near nothing... also did not lace the glass much at all.

S- Very sweet smelling, Lots of phenols present in the smell, kind of grassy too.

T- Very sweet up front. Just like the smell, there's a moderate phenol presence and grassiness to the yeast character.

M- Seems very syrupy mixed with some carbonation and an astringent presence.

D- So, this beer has a smashing score on this site... It's good, but I just can't level it to so many other things I've had in the tripel category.

12-20-2010 05:32:56 | More by DPFRD
JamesHenjum

3.28/5  rDev -24.1%

A: Beautiful beer. Cloudy gold with a nice white head. Almost glows.

S: Smells a bit fruity and yeasty. Nothing offensive.

T: You immediately get a mixture of fruits. Very complex. At the end there is unique yeast taste I am not familiar with. Very different from anything else. Overall it is tasty, but didn't make me want more.

M: Light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. Leaves a strong lasting flavor of yeast and unripened bananas.

O: A good beer unlike anything I have tasted before. It was probably too sophisticated for me to truly appreciate. But I did like it. Just won't be going back for more.

09-30-2012 22:27:17 | More by JamesHenjum
ttfreek

Connecticut

3.3/5  rDev -23.6%

I picked up this beer not knowing what to expect. It pored light, slightly pale and translucent, with a soft head. Smells slightly of yeast, very fruity...apricots, lemons, citrus, some other underlying tones. Flavor is very fruity and light, with a slight bite. It feels light and carbonated in your mouth, but leaves a slighty dry and lingering aftertaste of the fruits and yeasts.

Normally, i do not like these kinds of beers. It is very drinkable but is also very light, and too fruity for my tastes.

However, it was able to retain my attention and i did enjoy it. The 9% alcohol/volumne also helps alot ;)

A good beer, but I am not sure i would try it again. Fruity beers just dont do it for me, but its the best one i have had so far.

02-07-2007 01:54:57 | More by ttfreek
Daniellobo

District of Columbia

3.3/5  rDev -23.6%

Nice Canadian tripel after their Belgium ancestors and probably matching or bettering quite a few of them.

Presentation: 12 oz bottle. Illustrated label with a glowing terrain map of Quebec... The end of the world?. Lacks date of bottling or freshness, neither shows IBUs, °Plato, only Alc. (9.0%) Minimal descriptive narrative on back with glassware recommendation. Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Large and resilient foamy head that ultimately leaves a stubborn layer. Light amber-yellow tone.

S - Citrus... Orange? smell around quite a bit of spices, in particular clove. Hmmm, when it settles it has a funny popcorn buttery smell. Is this a bad bottle? It is not uncomfy, but rare... Diacetyl?

T - Sweet and smooth over an emerging alcohol base that never takes over. A bitter and spicy bite punctuates the taste.

M - It has a medium, and somewhat deceptively pale body around a significant amount of carbonation.

D - It´s actually quite drinkable, although I sense an acid aftertaste that may not settle that well with everyone.

Notes: It's a nice beer... I confess that I'm not a big fan of tripels, whether Belgium or their American reinterpretations. I like them, sure. But I'm just not a big fan. So this one does not cut it for me as a favorite or an iconic reference. I think that for tripel lovers this is probably a delight. But being such a great beer there is something that does not quite gel in the end for me.

08-17-2009 21:30:12 | More by Daniellobo
Methodd

British Columbia (Canada)

3.3/5  rDev -23.6%

750mL bottled poured (a few times) into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Hazy gold. Lots of white fizzy head that hangs around for the entire experience.

Smell: Right up front and in your face is yeast. Upon closer inspection citrus and honey come through giving way to spice, malts, floral hops, apple cider and pear.

Taste: Yeasty citrus, honey and sour grapes (which I did not detect in the aromas). This beer actually reminds me of a dry white wine.

Mouthfeel: I bit over carbonated and a bit too yeasty. The complexity of the aroma surpasses the simplicity of the taste. Medium bodied and quite tart. The after taste becomes a bit nasty after a minute or two (which I suspect is due largely to the yeast). This nasty after taste made me want to take another drink which must be the reason I finished off the 750mL bottle in about 20 minutes.

Drinkability: I tend to think of this as something that should be drank in the summer. It’s crisp and refreshing, but the yeast is at the forefront of this brew and in the end is just a bit too much. As mentioned, I’m reminded of a dry white wine which for me feels like over-fermentation which has lead to a boozy feeling. After 750mL of La Fin Du Monde I think I might have to drink some Monistat.

11-22-2009 04:47:24 | More by Methodd
evanlarkin

District of Columbia

3.3/5  rDev -23.6%

Thanks to ngeunit1 for this.

Appearance:
Pours a hazy yellow/orange color with about an inch of head that dissipates quickly, like a cola. Carbonation is easily visible.

Smell:
yeasty and dry, but fruity. Very soft and mild smell with some amount of light fruits, like white grapes and a lot of pear. very smooth and champagne-y.

Taste:
Again, soft. A lot of pear flavor and a bit of grape in the background. A bitterness similar to fruit peel.

Mouthfeel:
Sharp carbonation and with a creamy feeling behind it.

Drinkability:
I don't think I'd have more than one of these in a night, partially because of the ABV and partially because I'm not really into this. It's a decent belgian, but it just doesn't quite click with me. That being said, I can recognize it as a quality beer.

03-04-2011 22:57:29 | More by evanlarkin
kojevergas

3.3/5  rDev -23.6%

750ml brown glass bottle with hood and wire cap over a cork served into a La Chouffe tulip in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are extremely high given its current ratings and the recommendation of a friend. Acquired at Davidson's Liquors for $6.99.

A: Pours a three finger head of no cream, bad thickness, and pretty good retention. Colour is a nontransparent light honey-gold.

Sm: Pleasant light malt, moderate crystal malt, honey, heavy lemon peel, and clean barley. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Heavy lemon peel throughout, with some light tame spices that I quite fancy. Some ginger and clove. Tastes like a hefeweizen and witbier combined, brewed with Belgian yeast. Has some yeast, but not a significant amount. The alcohol doesn't come through at all. The lemon is a bit overdone, in fairness. It is quite estery. Nicely balanced excepting the lemon. The yeast on the finish is lovely. Well built for the style, but it does resemble other styles (as afore noted).

Mf: Smooth and wet, but actually a touch too thick. Suits the flavours pretty well.

Dr: Very drinkable, especially for the high ABV - which doesn't come through. I'd like to try it aged, but I don't know that it'd be best on-draught. A nice little tripel that deserves revisiting. At $6.99, there's no reason not to age it. I just wish they'd tone that damned lemon down.

12-25-2011 00:56:22 | More by kojevergas
kickplate

3.3/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured into an over sized wine glass and was very disappointed with a head that fizzled to nothing like a lemon-lime soda.

The taste itself was pretty good, but I was so surprised to see the head barely form and then disappear that I spent the rest of my time with this brew trying to figure out if I had a bad bottle.

Some other reviews describe a similar experience. Big disappointment especially since the flavors in this beer seem to be some of the best I have tested. But where's the head?

05-27-2013 03:30:41 | More by kickplate
longpondbeerman

Maine

3.33/5  rDev -22.9%

I admit it. Pale ales are not my thing, especially those with really high alcohol content. This was no exception. It poured a cloudy yellow with a fuzzy white head. There was lots of spiciness in the smell, particularly ginger and arrowroot. Not much in the taste to mask the alcohol either, so I thought I was drinking a sloe gin fizz.

05-27-2003 17:07:38 | More by longpondbeerman
OKCNittany

Oklahoma

3.33/5  rDev -22.9%

750 ml bottle into a Chimay goblet

A: 1/2" white head that fell to a cloud in the middle. Slightly hazy golden body that didn't look terribly appetizing.

S: Spices, yeast, and some light fruits. Alcohol appeared a bit as it warmed.

T: A big hit from the spices - clove, pepper - maybe coriander too. And the yeast. Fruit was present too, but the spice overwhelmed most everything else.

M: Medium body that was a bit over carbonated - almost fizzy at first, but then settled down. Dry finish w/ the spice & yeast present in a lasting aftertaste.

D: The alcohol was hidden well, but it's still a sipper thanks to the spice & mediocre flavor.

Not a bad brew, just ok - and quite overrated IMO.

08-14-2007 04:43:16 | More by OKCNittany
yen157

3.38/5  rDev -21.8%

Very coarse, foamy head. Brownish-yellow and hazy with some chunks that accidentally got poured. Lively, almost painful carbonation cause quite a row in the mouth. Once the beer had sat for 15minutes or so the bubbles because manageable. Spicy yeast give the beer most of its character. Good pale malt presence to spar with the yeast and hops. A good beer, but not one of my favorites from these guys. IMHO it’s way over-hyped.

08-25-2003 15:30:53 | More by yen157
Beaver13

Colorado

3.38/5  rDev -21.8%

12 oz bottle. Pours a murky golden yellow with a huge fizzy white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film and collar.

The aroma is bready malts, yeast and a little fruit and spices (clove).

The flavor is earthy, bready malts with a bit of a fruity twang. It has a grassy bitter finish with some fruity sour notes. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with very sharp and strong carbonation.

Overall, an OK Belgian - a bit over-priced though.

09-28-2007 21:29:30 | More by Beaver13
DrainBamage

3.38/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours a copperish color with massive two inch head. Smell is heavy in phenol aromas with some maltiness too. Goes down extremely smooth with pure maltiness here.Taste is extremely complex with malts, phenols, and yeasty flavors all balanced. Overall this a decent triple, which is saying a lot since I don't care much for triples.

04-22-2008 04:58:28 | More by DrainBamage
gromis

3.38/5  rDev -21.8%

I got this after a recommendation from a friend.

This pours a nice gold color. Not too much head, but the carbonation lasts a long time.

Both the smell and taste are about what you would expect for a dopplebock.

A very solid dopplebock. Has more on the malt side than most.

05-12-2010 03:45:13 | More by gromis
Takahiro

Netherlands

The bottle from a Trial Pack, purchased from Trader Joe's
Poured into Duvel Tulip

Thick 2" white, dense, and fine foam. Hazy, golden.

Smell: fruity with apple, grape, some banana.

Taste: apple and some toffee upfront. smooth malty sweetness in the middle. some hop bitterness follows after that. it finishes with warming and sweet alcohol. I notice some tartness, which I did not detect in the past review.

Mouth: smooth and light malt. not cloying. finishes dry, but alcohol seem to linger. it tasted like Duvel.

Drinkability: Not so good. Because of high alcohol, it seem to have some lingering sweetness from it. Though this is relatively "dry", it's not that quaffable. It's a sipper for me.

08-14-2010 20:33:50 | More by Takahiro
JimsArcade

3.38/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours a translucent pale-yellow. Aromas of the classic Unibroue yeast dominate. Taste is slightly sweet with hints of orange zest, a medium body and slightly crisp finish. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth.

A slightly above-average tripel with Unibroue's signature qualities throughout.

09-24-2012 20:36:31 | More by JimsArcade
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

3.4/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a dark orange with heavy carbonation with a full finger of white head that fades slowly and uniformally

S - a distinct spicy aroma, resembling cloves; with a definite hint of orange peel

T - hmmm, the taste is spicy like herbal teas with hops, surprisingly smooth, dont taste the champagne that the label says

M - it is very fizzy on my tongue from

D - moderate drinkability

03-27-2006 15:32:45 | More by sinstaineddemon
bort11

Missouri

3.4/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Large fizzy head at first that recedes to a persistent cap.
Smell is of orange juice, coriander, and a yeasty sourness. taste follows smell, with a slight tobacco flavor hinted at.
Mouthfeel is a light to medium body with tons of carbonation. Alcohol is well hidden.
Overall this is an OK beer. The first time I had this was as a 750 ml bottle. That was way too much. A 12 oz is about all you would want.

02-22-2007 04:32:44 | More by bort11
IMincedTheKing

3.4/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours a hazy golden brown with a thin head that recedes moderately fast. Lace is almost absent.

An earthy, cidery aroma jumps out of the glass. It's all apples and yeast, and I think it's too much.

The brew greets you with sweet apples, pears, and bananas, then finishes slightly bitter with malts and some alcohol. I don't want to knock it too much for this, but it's way tastes way too much like apple cider for me. It's syrupy and thick with a snappy carbonation, and the combination of the taste and the mouthfeel are not quite cloying.

I couldn't drink too many both because it's filling and the cider flavor is definitely not to my taste--I can see why this is so highly rated, though, so I would recommend giving it a shot.

03-25-2009 20:43:05 | More by IMincedTheKing
Jmoore50

Nevada

3.4/5  rDev -21.3%

Tasted at a little beer tasting I did with myself.

The appearance is golden yellow with a very crisp head. The head starts our at two fingers with an aggressive pour, but very soon leaves through the backdoor and takes all of its belongings with it. It is a clear brew, but is lighter in color.

The smell is of bready yeasts and very crisp hops. Their is some malt background in their as well but it all takes a backseat to the yeast.

The taste is of bready and Belgian yeasts with a slight malt background. It has a very crisp lavender and clove flavor that is brought up by the yeasts. Lighter in all aspects of the tastes than other Tripels I have had.

The mouthfeel is of strong carbonation and smooth finish. This is a refreshing drink, but not incredibly tasty. I would prefer St B.'s Tripel to this one.

J

02-12-2010 04:27:40 | More by Jmoore50
KYGunner

Kentucky

3.4/5  rDev -21.3%

Tons of bubbles and the sounds of this Ale are striking. The label reads best by 2015! Everything indicates tremendous freshness. The color gives off a golden glow, very nice, very pretty.

The scent is fragrant and strong, clove, banana, yeast and a hint of fruity citrus.

The taste is simple...yes, simple. The banana is present, yeasty in the middle, followed by the clove but I don't get a whole lot more. The label reads "robust flavour" but I can't find it. This seems to be a basic "Triple, Golden Ale." Maybe I just don't get it or the style but this isn't something I'd try again.

12-17-2012 01:27:05 | More by KYGunner