La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,821 | Hads: 9,233
3.16/5  rDev -26.7%

Cloudy golden orange color. Not much head and there won't be much lacing. Still the orange gold glow seems fairly nice. This beer has great legs and it's surprising given that there just isn't any lacing.

Spicy, pear and hop aromas. Yeast, almost bread like (boring bread) in nature. Like most of these unibroue beers it is hard to get much aroma from it.

Spices dominate this beer, followed by dry yeast, and wheat flavors. There are some light citrus flavors trying to be heard from but the yeast and spices are just drowning them out.

Over carbonated in the mouth, but the body seems just right. A really refreshing beer given the 9% which just doesn't show up. I'm not a huge fan of this much carbonation, but it works just fine for this style.

I really don't like this style. I like this beer about as much as others I've had. I don't get it, I don't think I want to get it. (886 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -26.2%

I pop the cap and pour...and whoa, lots of foam. The beer settles down a bit and I top off my glass. The aroma of this brew is interesting; a touch of pineapple mixed with a bit

The flavor is complex, laced with sugars and a bit of cooked corn, which is definitely a negative. I suppose I should have had this before have a Westmalle Tripel...not a fair fight, eh? Rather sweet and almost cloying. The alcohol is fairly well hidden for this strength of beer, which adds to drinkability, but I'm still left with that cooked corn character haunting my palate that almost has me wanting me to pour this out. The Westmalle may have ruined my palate for this beer, but I'm shocked at how poorly it measures up. (708 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -26.2%

Appearance: Hazy gold. Head is bright-white, starts off bubbly and massive. Head dwindles to a spotty, bubbly cap and collar. Lively carbonation.

Smell: Banana and pineapple. Loads of canned pineapple. Unibroue yeast adds its typical compliment of spicy esters, ripe banana, and bubblegum. Some minor. Love notes. Incredibly fruity. Sweet pale malts. Banana bread. Peppery spiciness.

Taste: Unibroue yeast kicks in immediately. Big banana bubblegum. Mild backing spiciness. Sweet pale malts bring some bready elements to the party. Peppery spiciness. As it warms the yeast becomes aggressive and overbearing. Huge punches of pineapple and banana. Spiciness builds becoming sharply peppered. Sweet, incredibly sweet by the end. Cracker and bread crust.

Mouthfeel: Lively carbonation on a body that runs toward light but ultimately end up medium. Nicely dry. Slightly smooth.

Overall: You want Unibroue yeast, this is the starter itself!

The first sip is delicious. As it warms, any balance it could have goes out the window. Sweet, but not sugary. If you love the style, it's definitely worth checking out. (1,110 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -26%

A - Pours opaque, hazy yellow. Leaves a loud 1 finger white foam head

S - Picking up that banana, yeasty character in the nose. Smells something like an old fashoned creamsicle

T - Somewhat of an orange flavor. There is a very faint flavor of banana to it as it warms.

M - Carbonation is strong on this one, almost like a soda water feel to it. Kind of an aluminum can like flavor in the aftertaste

D - Overall the high ABV is hidden relatively well, but I struggled to get through this one. The large amount of carbonation and the metallic taste just didnt grab me (573 characters)

Review adapted from notes taken in September, 2009

Poured into a snifter

Appearance: Pale, golden color with an excellent head thanks to the bottle conditioning

Smell: Hints of yeast, light fruits, alcohol, fruity esters, wax - phenolic

Taste: If you know the Unibroue yeast strain, you know this beer - it is exploding with yeast funk, pale malts, light fruits, alcohol - spicy and tart, with an acidic bite

Mouthfeel: Moderate body, very well carbonated

Overall: The yeast gets to be too much after a while, best to split a 750mL

I have had La Fin Du Monde at least three times now. I was very excited to try it after reading all of the reviews on BA, but I found myself disappointed. I have reviewed and re-reviewed it since then. While I can understand why someone would enjoy it, this beer is simply not for me. It's too tart, too acidic, and the yeast funk is too overpowering. I think the Unibroue yeast strain works better in some of their other beers. (967 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured a 341-ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance - cloudy, creamy golden blonde ale with an off-white foamy head. Head lasts for a bit and then subsides to a 1/4-inch. Fairly active carbonation observed.

Smell - spicy floral hops with an herbal quality take center-stage remeniscent of some Belgian witbier I've tasted.

Taste - peppery, nearly medicinal clove taste over some refreshing bitters. Spiced taste definitely makes this a winter selection. Hardly any taste of alcohol in this but a warming feeling occurs after a few sips.

Mouthfeel - overall a pretty smooth beer. The wave of spices is a bit much for me but that's where it's at.

Drinkability - very easy going down for the alcohol content. You would never realize this is a 9% brew. (756 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -25.1%

Appearance: Pours into my left hand brewing glass a hazy/cloudy golden color,

Smell: cloves and yeast,

Taste: mostly cloves with maybe some bitter citrus,

Mouthfeel: not bad I like the feel provided by the carbonation in this one,

Drinkability: ok, I think the clove taste is a bit overpowering drowning out any other flavors that this one might have had so it looses drinkability there, (392 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours an amber with orange and lemonade looks. Thick head that dissipates quickly leaving a common lacing.

Smells slightly sweet, apples, and moderate hoppiness.

For those who enjoy a beer that is based on sweetness and has some complexity on top of that, it's fine. For me, it's simply too sweet. Nice notes of lemon, cider, and tangy through the finish but I can't help but feel like I'm quaffing quintessentially glorified sugar water.

We all have our perspective. This beer just doesn't resonate with me. I realize this is a top shelf brew for many folks, for me it is just another flawed brew that aspires to greatness. Definitely not the "fin" of my "monde." Having Quebec ties I'd like this beer to be special but for me, it's not. (745 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -24.4%

A- Golden and murky. Head started large but disappeared to near nothing... also did not lace the glass much at all.

S- Very sweet smelling, Lots of phenols present in the smell, kind of grassy too.

T- Very sweet up front. Just like the smell, there's a moderate phenol presence and grassiness to the yeast character.

M- Seems very syrupy mixed with some carbonation and an astringent presence.

D- So, this beer has a smashing score on this site... It's good, but I just can't level it to so many other things I've had in the tripel category. (546 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle -> snifter

A - pours up a pale gold with an initial two finger head which quickly dissipates leaving only a retention ring and no lacing.

S - Not much on the nose. I mainly get bananas

T - heavy taste of crab apples, sweet and sour all at once with a very dry yeasty finish and some booziness.

M - kind of boozy

O - the only other beer I've from Unibroue was Trois Pistoles. I loved it, but this is not my cup of tea at all. (448 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -24.1%

750ml brown glass bottle with hood and wire cap over a cork served into a La Chouffe tulip in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are extremely high given its current ratings and the recommendation of a friend. Acquired at Davidson's Liquors for $6.99.

A: Pours a three finger head of no cream, bad thickness, and pretty good retention. Colour is a nontransparent light honey-gold.

Sm: Pleasant light malt, moderate crystal malt, honey, heavy lemon peel, and clean barley. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Heavy lemon peel throughout, with some light tame spices that I quite fancy. Some ginger and clove. Tastes like a hefeweizen and witbier combined, brewed with Belgian yeast. Has some yeast, but not a significant amount. The alcohol doesn't come through at all. The lemon is a bit overdone, in fairness. It is quite estery. Nicely balanced excepting the lemon. The yeast on the finish is lovely. Well built for the style, but it does resemble other styles (as afore noted).

Mf: Smooth and wet, but actually a touch too thick. Suits the flavours pretty well.

Dr: Very drinkable, especially for the high ABV - which doesn't come through. I'd like to try it aged, but I don't know that it'd be best on-draught. A nice little tripel that deserves revisiting. At $6.99, there's no reason not to age it. I just wish they'd tone that damned lemon down. (1,386 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -24.1%

A: It is a very foggy light yellow with no head when poured.

S: Very fruity. There are aromas of banana, citrus, and lemon. Very strong aroma.

T: Just ok. The aromas mentioned above carry over into the very bold taste.

M: Very very fizzy. The beer is watery.

O: The only reason I bought this was because it was on the top 100 and I wanted to try a tripple. I was not impressed and I am surprised it was on the list to begin with. (434 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured into an over sized wine glass and was very disappointed with a head that fizzled to nothing like a lemon-lime soda.

The taste itself was pretty good, but I was so surprised to see the head barely form and then disappear that I spent the rest of my time with this brew trying to figure out if I had a bad bottle.

Some other reviews describe a similar experience. Big disappointment especially since the flavors in this beer seem to be some of the best I have tested. But where's the head? (496 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -23.9%

Thanks to ngeunit1 for this.

Appearance:
Pours a hazy yellow/orange color with about an inch of head that dissipates quickly, like a cola. Carbonation is easily visible.

Smell:
yeasty and dry, but fruity. Very soft and mild smell with some amount of light fruits, like white grapes and a lot of pear. very smooth and champagne-y.

Taste:
Again, soft. A lot of pear flavor and a bit of grape in the background. A bitterness similar to fruit peel.

Mouthfeel:
Sharp carbonation and with a creamy feeling behind it.

Drinkability:
I don't think I'd have more than one of these in a night, partially because of the ABV and partially because I'm not really into this. It's a decent belgian, but it just doesn't quite click with me. That being said, I can recognize it as a quality beer. (783 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -23.9%

Nice Canadian tripel after their Belgium ancestors and probably matching or bettering quite a few of them.

Presentation: 12 oz bottle. Illustrated label with a glowing terrain map of Quebec... The end of the world?. Lacks date of bottling or freshness, neither shows IBUs, °Plato, only Alc. (9.0%) Minimal descriptive narrative on back with glassware recommendation. Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Large and resilient foamy head that ultimately leaves a stubborn layer. Light amber-yellow tone.

S - Citrus... Orange? smell around quite a bit of spices, in particular clove. Hmmm, when it settles it has a funny popcorn buttery smell. Is this a bad bottle? It is not uncomfy, but rare... Diacetyl?

T - Sweet and smooth over an emerging alcohol base that never takes over. A bitter and spicy bite punctuates the taste.

M - It has a medium, and somewhat deceptively pale body around a significant amount of carbonation.

D - It´s actually quite drinkable, although I sense an acid aftertaste that may not settle that well with everyone.

Notes: It's a nice beer... I confess that I'm not a big fan of tripels, whether Belgium or their American reinterpretations. I like them, sure. But I'm just not a big fan. So this one does not cut it for me as a favorite or an iconic reference. I think that for tripel lovers this is probably a delight. But being such a great beer there is something that does not quite gel in the end for me. (1,438 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -23.2%

A: Beautiful beer. Cloudy gold with a nice white head. Almost glows.

S: Smells a bit fruity and yeasty. Nothing offensive.

T: You immediately get a mixture of fruits. Very complex. At the end there is unique yeast taste I am not familiar with. Very different from anything else. Overall it is tasty, but didn't make me want more.

M: Light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. Leaves a strong lasting flavor of yeast and unripened bananas.

O: A good beer unlike anything I have tasted before. It was probably too sophisticated for me to truly appreciate. But I did like it. Just won't be going back for more. (616 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -23%

I picked up this beer not knowing what to expect. It pored light, slightly pale and translucent, with a soft head. Smells slightly of yeast, very fruity...apricots, lemons, citrus, some other underlying tones. Flavor is very fruity and light, with a slight bite. It feels light and carbonated in your mouth, but leaves a slighty dry and lingering aftertaste of the fruits and yeasts.

Normally, i do not like these kinds of beers. It is very drinkable but is also very light, and too fruity for my tastes.

However, it was able to retain my attention and i did enjoy it. The 9% alcohol/volumne also helps alot ;)

A good beer, but I am not sure i would try it again. Fruity beers just dont do it for me, but its the best one i have had so far. (752 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -23%

750 ml bottle into a Chimay goblet

A: 1/2" white head that fell to a cloud in the middle. Slightly hazy golden body that didn't look terribly appetizing.

S: Spices, yeast, and some light fruits. Alcohol appeared a bit as it warmed.

T: A big hit from the spices - clove, pepper - maybe coriander too. And the yeast. Fruit was present too, but the spice overwhelmed most everything else.

M: Medium body that was a bit over carbonated - almost fizzy at first, but then settled down. Dry finish w/ the spice & yeast present in a lasting aftertaste.

D: The alcohol was hidden well, but it's still a sipper thanks to the spice & mediocre flavor.

Not a bad brew, just ok - and quite overrated IMO. (709 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -22.5%

750mL bottled poured (a few times) into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Hazy gold. Lots of white fizzy head that hangs around for the entire experience.

Smell: Right up front and in your face is yeast. Upon closer inspection citrus and honey come through giving way to spice, malts, floral hops, apple cider and pear.

Taste: Yeasty citrus, honey and sour grapes (which I did not detect in the aromas). This beer actually reminds me of a dry white wine.

Mouthfeel: I bit over carbonated and a bit too yeasty. The complexity of the aroma surpasses the simplicity of the taste. Medium bodied and quite tart. The after taste becomes a bit nasty after a minute or two (which I suspect is due largely to the yeast). This nasty after taste made me want to take another drink which must be the reason I finished off the 750mL bottle in about 20 minutes.

Drinkability: I tend to think of this as something that should be drank in the summer. It’s crisp and refreshing, but the yeast is at the forefront of this brew and in the end is just a bit too much. As mentioned, I’m reminded of a dry white wine which for me feels like over-fermentation which has lead to a boozy feeling. After 750mL of La Fin Du Monde I think I might have to drink some Monistat. (1,257 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -22.5%

Pours a translucent pale-yellow. Aromas of the classic Unibroue yeast dominate. Taste is slightly sweet with hints of orange zest, a medium body and slightly crisp finish. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth.

A slightly above-average tripel with Unibroue's signature qualities throughout. (282 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -22.3%

I got this after a recommendation from a friend.

This pours a nice gold color. Not too much head, but the carbonation lasts a long time.

Both the smell and taste are about what you would expect for a dopplebock.

A very solid dopplebock. Has more on the malt side than most. (276 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -22.3%

I admit it. Pale ales are not my thing, especially those with really high alcohol content. This was no exception. It poured a cloudy yellow with a fuzzy white head. There was lots of spiciness in the smell, particularly ginger and arrowroot. Not much in the taste to mask the alcohol either, so I thought I was drinking a sloe gin fizz. (336 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -22%

Pours a copperish color with massive two inch head. Smell is heavy in phenol aromas with some maltiness too. Goes down extremely smooth with pure maltiness here.Taste is extremely complex with malts, phenols, and yeasty flavors all balanced. Overall this a decent triple, which is saying a lot since I don't care much for triples. (330 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -21.8%

The bottle from a Trial Pack, purchased from Trader Joe's
Poured into Duvel Tulip

Thick 2" white, dense, and fine foam. Hazy, golden.

Smell: fruity with apple, grape, some banana.

Taste: apple and some toffee upfront. smooth malty sweetness in the middle. some hop bitterness follows after that. it finishes with warming and sweet alcohol. I notice some tartness, which I did not detect in the past review.

Mouth: smooth and light malt. not cloying. finishes dry, but alcohol seem to linger. it tasted like Duvel.

Drinkability: Not so good. Because of high alcohol, it seem to have some lingering sweetness from it. Though this is relatively "dry", it's not that quaffable. It's a sipper for me. (701 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -21.6%

12 oz bottle. Pours a murky golden yellow with a huge fizzy white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film and collar.

The aroma is bready malts, yeast and a little fruit and spices (clove).

The flavor is earthy, bready malts with a bit of a fruity twang. It has a grassy bitter finish with some fruity sour notes. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with very sharp and strong carbonation.

Overall, an OK Belgian - a bit over-priced though. (442 characters)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue