La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 9,162 | Reviews: 2,857
3.34/5  rDev -22.7%

750mL bottled poured (a few times) into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Hazy gold. Lots of white fizzy head that hangs around for the entire experience.

Smell: Right up front and in your face is yeast. Upon closer inspection citrus and honey come through giving way to spice, malts, floral hops, apple cider and pear.

Taste: Yeasty citrus, honey and sour grapes (which I did not detect in the aromas). This beer actually reminds me of a dry white wine.

Mouthfeel: I bit over carbonated and a bit too yeasty. The complexity of the aroma surpasses the simplicity of the taste. Medium bodied and quite tart. The after taste becomes a bit nasty after a minute or two (which I suspect is due largely to the yeast). This nasty after taste made me want to take another drink which must be the reason I finished off the 750mL bottle in about 20 minutes.

Drinkability: I tend to think of this as something that should be drank in the summer. It’s crisp and refreshing, but the yeast is at the forefront of this brew and in the end is just a bit too much. As mentioned, I’m reminded of a dry white wine which for me feels like over-fermentation which has lead to a boozy feeling. After 750mL of La Fin Du Monde I think I might have to drink some Monistat.

3.34/5  rDev -22.7%

Pours a translucent pale-yellow. Aromas of the classic Unibroue yeast dominate. Taste is slightly sweet with hints of orange zest, a medium body and slightly crisp finish. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth.

A slightly above-average tripel with Unibroue's signature qualities throughout.

3.35/5  rDev -22.5%

I got this after a recommendation from a friend.

This pours a nice gold color. Not too much head, but the carbonation lasts a long time.

Both the smell and taste are about what you would expect for a dopplebock.

A very solid dopplebock. Has more on the malt side than most.

3.35/5  rDev -22.5%

I admit it. Pale ales are not my thing, especially those with really high alcohol content. This was no exception. It poured a cloudy yellow with a fuzzy white head. There was lots of spiciness in the smell, particularly ginger and arrowroot. Not much in the taste to mask the alcohol either, so I thought I was drinking a sloe gin fizz.

3.36/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours a copperish color with massive two inch head. Smell is heavy in phenol aromas with some maltiness too. Goes down extremely smooth with pure maltiness here.Taste is extremely complex with malts, phenols, and yeasty flavors all balanced. Overall this a decent triple, which is saying a lot since I don't care much for triples.

3.37/5  rDev -22%

The bottle from a Trial Pack, purchased from Trader Joe's
Poured into Duvel Tulip

Thick 2" white, dense, and fine foam. Hazy, golden.

Smell: fruity with apple, grape, some banana.

Taste: apple and some toffee upfront. smooth malty sweetness in the middle. some hop bitterness follows after that. it finishes with warming and sweet alcohol. I notice some tartness, which I did not detect in the past review.

Mouth: smooth and light malt. not cloying. finishes dry, but alcohol seem to linger. it tasted like Duvel.

Drinkability: Not so good. Because of high alcohol, it seem to have some lingering sweetness from it. Though this is relatively "dry", it's not that quaffable. It's a sipper for me.

3.38/5  rDev -21.8%

12 oz bottle. Pours a murky golden yellow with a huge fizzy white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film and collar.

The aroma is bready malts, yeast and a little fruit and spices (clove).

The flavor is earthy, bready malts with a bit of a fruity twang. It has a grassy bitter finish with some fruity sour notes. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with very sharp and strong carbonation.

Overall, an OK Belgian - a bit over-priced though.

3.38/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a dark orange with heavy carbonation with a full finger of white head that fades slowly and uniformally

S - a distinct spicy aroma, resembling cloves; with a definite hint of orange peel

T - hmmm, the taste is spicy like herbal teas with hops, surprisingly smooth, dont taste the champagne that the label says

M - it is very fizzy on my tongue from

D - moderate drinkability

3.39/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours a hazy golden brown with a thin head that recedes moderately fast. Lace is almost absent.

An earthy, cidery aroma jumps out of the glass. It's all apples and yeast, and I think it's too much.

The brew greets you with sweet apples, pears, and bananas, then finishes slightly bitter with malts and some alcohol. I don't want to knock it too much for this, but it's way tastes way too much like apple cider for me. It's syrupy and thick with a snappy carbonation, and the combination of the taste and the mouthfeel are not quite cloying.

I couldn't drink too many both because it's filling and the cider flavor is definitely not to my taste--I can see why this is so highly rated, though, so I would recommend giving it a shot.

3.39/5  rDev -21.5%

Very coarse, foamy head. Brownish-yellow and hazy with some chunks that accidentally got poured. Lively, almost painful carbonation cause quite a row in the mouth. Once the beer had sat for 15minutes or so the bubbles because manageable. Spicy yeast give the beer most of its character. Good pale malt presence to spar with the yeast and hops. A good beer, but not one of my favorites from these guys. IMHO it’s way over-hyped.

3.4/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Large fizzy head at first that recedes to a persistent cap.
Smell is of orange juice, coriander, and a yeasty sourness. taste follows smell, with a slight tobacco flavor hinted at.
Mouthfeel is a light to medium body with tons of carbonation. Alcohol is well hidden.
Overall this is an OK beer. The first time I had this was as a 750 ml bottle. That was way too much. A 12 oz is about all you would want.

3.4/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I'm noticing that metallic taste as well, but it's not too off putting when the rest of the beer is quite good. A lot of carbonation in it, pours fantastically with a small amount of head.

3.43/5  rDev -20.6%

This brew pours a golden yellow color with a huge fluffy white head. After 5-10 minutes the head dissapates down to a thin light layer. Lots of bubbles are seen coming up from the bottom of the beer. Spicy, of cloves, banana (very much like a hefeweisen), some citrus, a little alcohol in the finish. Drinkability is lower because it was so spicy. I don't think I would really want to drink more than one of these in a sitting.

Overall though, a tasty unique Belgian-inspired brew that I will most likely try again when I'm picking up an assortment of singles.

3.43/5  rDev -20.6%

Tasted at a little beer tasting I did with myself.

The appearance is golden yellow with a very crisp head. The head starts our at two fingers with an aggressive pour, but very soon leaves through the backdoor and takes all of its belongings with it. It is a clear brew, but is lighter in color.

The smell is of bready yeasts and very crisp hops. Their is some malt background in their as well but it all takes a backseat to the yeast.

The taste is of bready and Belgian yeasts with a slight malt background. It has a very crisp lavender and clove flavor that is brought up by the yeasts. Lighter in all aspects of the tastes than other Tripels I have had.

The mouthfeel is of strong carbonation and smooth finish. This is a refreshing drink, but not incredibly tasty. I would prefer St B.'s Tripel to this one.

J

3.45/5  rDev -20.1%

Tons of bubbles and the sounds of this Ale are striking. The label reads best by 2015! Everything indicates tremendous freshness. The color gives off a golden glow, very nice, very pretty.

The scent is fragrant and strong, clove, banana, yeast and a hint of fruity citrus.

The taste is simple...yes, simple. The banana is present, yeasty in the middle, followed by the clove but I don't get a whole lot more. The label reads "robust flavour" but I can't find it. This seems to be a basic "Triple, Golden Ale." Maybe I just don't get it or the style but this isn't something I'd try again.

3.45/5  rDev -20.1%

This beer was a 12 ounce bottle from a 4 pack purchased from Kappy's Liqours in Falmouth MA. $8.99 for the 4 pack.

Appearance: It reminded me exactly of a cloudy clover honey,the golden color was quite beautiful. The bottle was a borderline "gusher" and produced a monster fluffy white head.

Smell: Slightly floral with hints of herb.

Taste: What really hit me was the sweetness of this brew, once again the honey analogy. The aftertaste had a hint of mint and a very slight hop which was very slight in my opinion. I had no burn from the 9% alcohol, in fact had I not know from reading the bottle I wouldnt have believed it.

Mouthfeel: Creamy would about sum it up nicely I should think, creamy and smooth.

Notes: Overall a fine beer, I dont think I would want to partake in multiples of this one in a session though, not for the alcohol content mind you , but more for the pervading sweetness of the drink. I tasted none of the tartness that some of the other reviewers detected however I still have 3 brews to go so I shall update the review as needed.

3.46/5  rDev -19.9%

750ml corked and caged bottle poured into a pint glass. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a fairly light clear and a bit hazy golden wheat color with a huge light bright white head. Nose is all Québécois yeast - very Belgian inspired and distinctive.

Taste is super dry, a bit hoppy and slighty tart. It's got a really sulfury taste as well which is odd. Mouthfeel is huge and rich, very creamy.

3.46/5  rDev -19.9%

This beer smells like dirty locker room socks after a hard day on the gridiron...but delivers in the end when it counts.

A - Pours nicely with two finger head and settles well.

S - As metioned before, in our experience, this beer smells like Bigfoot's dick - maybe we got a bad bottle, but it was enough to turn off even the most experienced beer drinker. Grassy notes, pear, some clove(?). Overall was not pleasant.

T - Taste was satisfying. Compared to the smell, this beer delivered. Really can taste the pear and other earthy/fruit notes.

M - Light and crisp - well carbonated but not overpowering to the point that it ruined the beer. Still able to get the flavors.

D - Maybe had a bad bottle, but don't let the smell deter you from enjoying this beer. Goes down smooth with little effect from the alcohol content. Flavors in the beer really come out after it warms up a few degrees. Definetely not a session beer but sure to be a favorite with most everyone who appreciates a good Belgian tripel.

3.46/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from a 750-milliliter bottle into a chalice. Has a nice brozenish/yellow colour to it. Has a very nice nose. Hints of cloves/spice and a hint of fruitiness. Fairly smooth, crisp taste but has a slight bitternes to it. Over all great beer, wonderfull winter warmer.(especially on a cold snowy evening)

3.46/5  rDev -19.9%

Popped the cork on this, got a nice puff of smoke. Poured into a chalis, Cloudy Orange. Head faded fairly quicky leaving only traces around the edges.

Smell is cirus, tangerine, lime, orange maybe. Also some hops cutting through.

Noticed some malt flavor upon first sip that was not really present on the smell, but defineatle present in tasting. Good amount of carbonation but still seemed kind of flat, I guess the lack of any head may account for some of that, Alcohol noticeable on the finish
but other than that, it's disguised very well. not bad, not as good as I expected. Paid $8 for this bottle but would probably only pay about $5 or so. Overpriced for the quality in my opinion.

3.47/5  rDev -19.7%

The end of the world is a golden orange sunset, adorned with an elegant – though dissipating lace. There’s no explosions, just a subtle fire to spicy a mellow, alcohol laden brew. The banana and clove aroma is soothing while the flavors are simple, delicate, and diverse. Hints of pineapple in the hops were most surprising while the majority of the notes were standard fruits and spices. This is an average interpretation of an awesome style. Though light on body, this brew was quite drinkable. C’est la fin du la monde, et je me sens bien.

3.48/5  rDev -19.4%

NOTE: I simply am not a fan of tripels so my rating is biased

Have had numerous times in the bottle and finally rating this.

Pours hazy golden orange with an abundance of foam that disappears quickly.

Aroma is very floral, but a ton of bready yeast present. Some hints of lemon and cinnamon.

Flavor is mild sweet honey, then a pretty well balanced bitterness, but the yeast really dominates the flavor.

Medium bodied, lively carbonation that accentuates the flavor.

Overall, probably a very solid example of the style, but this is not a beer I return to often.

3.48/5  rDev -19.4%

--came in an average brown bottle with a white foil wrap over the top.
--A copper/dirt straw like in color with a great cloudiness. Nice thick, full head that lasted quite a while. After thinning left great traces of lacing.
--A slightly sweet smell almost fruitly but not quite.

Given the strength of this beer I was quite surprised by the taste and drinkability of it. Although it is strong this aint your brown bag beer...this one is great for sipping anytime. Would drink again. Thx.

3.48/5  rDev -19.4%

A: Nothing too special in this department. A urine yellow color with a decent white head that quickly fades

S: Smell a citrus, piney scent off the bat. Malts in the middle and a slight hop scent on the backend. Not getting too much special off of his brew.

T: Wow, this one surprised me in a bad way. After seeing some of the reviews, I was really gunning for this one. Tastes like citrus apple flavored sparkling water. Not much else going on.

M: Very smooth with a hint too much carbonation, but still very good in this category.

D: This one is exceptionally drinkable mainly because it tastes like a sparkling water and not like a beer.

All in all, this brew disappointed me. If you like a refreshing beer comparable to sparkling water, then this is for you. If you like heavy hops or malts, then this one might not be for you. Good to try at least once to give it a chance, but otherwise, I do not recommend.

3.49/5  rDev -19.2%

12.oz bottle from a 4 bottle "taster pack" poured into a 16oz. glass.

A- Pours a nice cloudy gold with a fluffy 2 finger head that sticks around. Appearance is typical for the style.

S- The smell is faint and hard to pick up on. Might have served this one too cold. From what I can get, it's bananas, cloves, and grassy hay.

T- The taste is very good actually. Complex and just the right amount of fruit and spice. Bananas and black pepper, with some cloviness and hints of muscat grapes. Fairly complex.

M- Good carbonation and medium body. Matches the style and the abv and makes this easy to sip.

O- This is my first Unibroue beer and one of the better tripels I have gotten to try. They aren't really my style and I like this anyway. I'm definitely looking forward to trying the others from the taster pack.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue