La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

A- glowing golden body with a fluffy looking white head with little lacing. steady stream of very small bubbles

S- very yeasty and sweet with notes of summer fruits, cloves, bananas, and coriander.

T- spicy and yeasty. pretty sweet with some orange. a slight burn from the bubbles and or alcohol.

M- pretty thin but creamy

D- my favorite trippel, and something that would be much more sought after if the good people at Unibroue didnt make it available everywhere. i could easily finish the whole 750 by myslef, but at 9% abv wouldnt be able to take any more than that. theres a reason this makes the top 100 beers on planet earth. check this one out.

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

A wonderful looking blonde-colored beer. Pours with a 1/2" head with real staying power. Sticks to the glass like crazy. Hazy and beautiful. Some yeast suspension. Great.

Aroma is one of a kind. Spicy, yeasty and slightly phenolic. Peaches. A complex sweetness that hangs in the nostrils. Exceptionally fresh smelling. Clovey and grassy at times. Bananna. Absolutely great.

Mouthfeel is very smooth. Sweet and tasty like honey. Strong yeast flavor. Very breadlike. A small touch of hops on the back of the swallow.

Again... Absolutely great.

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

Love, love this beer. The taste is phenomenal. The aroma makes my nose smile (if it could). The only reason it doesn't get perfect 5's is the high ABV. I want to be able to drink more of this beer in one sitting but 1 bottle does it for me. I'm so glad it is available year round at any decent bottle shop.

La Fin Du Monde
Tasted/reviewed @ DBA bottle>Chimay goblet, NOLA - 3/20/09 (afternoon)
I also had this @ the Bull Dog in Nawlins on 3/19/09 and used these notes also.
A 4.5 - Good head, great lacing reduces to nice collar. Golden honey in color.
S 4.5 - Sweet and mild spices. Ginger and clove notes. Clove notes are a solid aroma of this brew.
T 5.0 - Tastes follow smell, on wheat like malt base. Mild but sweet and clove-y. Clove is very present in taste. This tripel is a fine example at the Belgian skill to stealth the 9% ABV! Well hidden my neighboring Canadians!
MF 4.5 - Medium body, medium carbonation
D 5.0 - Dee-lish! I have been waiting for an opportunity to try this Tripel and it lived up to my expectations. It was excellent!

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

A goldening shade of apricot with tanned complexion. It sits with striking glow. Its colour is light but its tone is deep and hazed. A feathery patch of white distinguishes itself over top. This can be thickened with swirling and dots the glass with lace.

Its aroma is both pleasantly and potently effervescent. It is also fruity and floral and showcases just a dash of spice. Crisp straw wheat and lightly toasted malts seem doused in white pepper and coriander and then tossed with green apple and golden pear. I know of very few things that can appeal to the sense of smell like a good Belgian yeast.

Fortunately it seems to have had the same impact on taste as well. Again we are treated to sweetened, honey-laced malts tossed with coriander and orchard fruit. It is by no means an intense beer - the flavours are vivid but gentle and moderate. It pleases all parts of the palate with components fruity, malty, floral, tart, and zesty.

The alcohol is deceivingly absent in taste, but the beer possesses a soothing, almost sedative, presence that is indicative of a well crafted 9% tripel. Its higher gravity has done nothing to thin out mouthfeel and quite to the contrary, the mild carbonation and peppery spice give the beer a very lively texture on the palate.

This beer pairs wonderfully with a number of dishes and makes an especially great cheese pairing. While it drinks phenomenally fresh, it also ages exceptionally well. To speak matter of factly: Unibroue makes some of the finest Belgian ales outside of Belgium and 'La Fin Du Monde' is certainly amongst the best examples of a Belgian tripel.

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into maudite snifter.

A- Pours a hazy golden straw color with one finger head that stays around.

S- Peppery, fruity, belgian yeast smell and some malt shines through. Very complex and appealing.

T- Banana, cloves, pepper, some lemon, pale malt. Delicious.

M- Very nicely carbonated. Effervescent.

O- One of my favorite beers in one of my favorite styles. Never disappoints.

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

This is my first review here and I picked the La Fin Du Monde because it is one of the best ones I have ever had!!

From the time I opened the cap on the bottle, I could smell the beautiful aromatics of, clove, banana, flowers, and yeast. As I poured it into a wine glass the smell for just incredible!

The flavor was just mind blowing... just as I smelled, the clove was upfront and in my face, finished with the banana and flower.

So far this is on the top of my list!! What an incredible brew it is. If I could, I would drink it on a daily basis. I don't even get the alcohol it is masked so well... this is not a session brew!!

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours from 12oz bottle with very thick carbonated head which retained for a good amount of time. Cloudy, pale golden-orange color; overall gives the appearance of a newly opened champagne. Very nice.
Smells of a sweet/sour combination fermented yeast and cirtus with a breaded overnote.
Rich flavors of yeast, orange citrus and spiciness. Hop character is strong, which balances the yeast. Dry and astringent finish.
Dry yeast finish on the carbonation tip and hoppiness leave a tingling mouthfeel, vibrating off the middle of the tongue.
Very drinkable, one of the best tripels I have ever tasted..perhaps even richer than my original favorite from St Bernardus. Well done.

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

One of the best crisp beers I ever had. The crisp refreshing taste makes it an excellent choice with many foods. The pour is golden with a slight cloudy hue. Not to heavy whatsoever. I like the balance of a touch of white pepper, with mellow citrus/champagne like flavor. Be careful this is 9% alcohol, which you can't detect after its too late, have fun ;)

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

Congrats to our northern neighbors for creating this amazing brew that I now have on my favorites list.

It's a dark golden color with a boat load of white foamy head that doesn't die easily. It's rather cloudy, and this one had a few chunks of dark sediment that my first one didn't. The aroma is mostly fruit with a bit of wheat. The flavor just blew me away. A bit of wheat, then lemon, orange, cloves, spices. A rather complex mix that are strong and plentiful. It knocks your taste buds out and makes you ask for seconds. It finishes just a tad tart but still sweet.

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

This beer is fantastic. I wholeheartedly believe that La Fin Du Monde can stand up to any beer in Belgium. I could drink this stuff all night, and on several occasions I have. This hazy masterpiece should be savored, but it's so tasty you can't help but to pound these down. Truly a ray of light on an otherwise cloudy day.

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

Simply put, one of the best beers I've ever enjoyed. This one stands out even amongst the Unibroue herd, and is really a delightful beer. It pours a gorgeously unfiltered/hazy dark golden color with a head that won't quit. The aroma is complex to say the least, with yeast, hops, and a fruity sweetness all detectable to one extent or another.

The taste is excellent, with an initial fruity sweetness and a crisp aftertaste. It's a very complex taste, that challenges your palate without being confusing. This beer's a sipper at 9% alcohol content, but the flavours do a great job of masking just how quickly this one could put you on your backside. The mouthfeel itself is also excellent, with just the right amount of carbonation.

Recommended to fans of good beer.... this is the one that Quebec should be proud of.

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

22 oz bomber with a born on date to ensure freshness.

Pours a golden ale somewhat like champagne with lots of carbonation and little lacing.

Faint scents of apple and lemon, other fruits apparent.

Smooth and carbonated very refreshing and has a lemon zest to it not like any I've had before. This is a great Belgian Pale and thought nothing would beat Duvel, I was wrong. I hope the end of the world is this good!!!

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

Fruity, warm, full, tasty. More crisp and lively than a lot of high ABV Belgian-style ales. Goes down extremely easily, though, so watch yourself.

Pairs well with lighter meals, like white meats and grilled veggies.

An exceptional value in beer. At $6 for a 750-mL bottle, and less per oz for a four-pack of 12-oz, you won't do better. We can't buy it where we are right now (sigh), but we always buy out the store of this stuff when we go to the "big city."

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

pours a very leaden honey color, that has a very bubbly presence that accumulated a wonderful milk colored fluff head. is a nice beer on lees
Smells a bit like a warm citrus. a bit of apricots, and yeast. sweet notes that are creeping in the back.
Taste is almost the same as the smell. although the alcohol is masked perfectly. The sweetness is there to cover the warm and allows the tart to pull you back in. a bit of sweet fruits, and warm malt. you can taste some wheat faintly that is masked again perfectly by the sweetness.
Very well balanced of carbonation, and alcohol. this beer at 9% drinks unnervingly easy.

Serving type - Bottle

Appearance - Yellowish honey color, slight white head, very pretty in a glass

Smell - Very floral, lemon, banana, apples, peach, grapes. alcohol, oranges and spices

Taste - Starts off with a amazing combination of floral fruits, added spices, yeasts and wheat malts. Everything about this beer is balanced and you are able to taste and enjoy each flavor. Citric fruits add a bitterness, the yeast adds sweetness, and the malts add a bold wheaty flavor. Alcohol gives some nice warmth in the finish.

Mouthfeel - The first thing you get is the sweet fruits coating the tounge. Loads of grape and lemon. Some spices and yeasty sugars comes in next. Palate gets more of the same along with some wheat malts, and warmth alcohol. The finish is sweet, warm and fruity.

Drinkabilty - Simply amazing, such a tasty, well balanced and enjoyable beer. This is my standard triple, i havent had anything yet thats its equal. Nothing about it is overpowering, you really can enjoy everything it has to offer. World class, a must try for a craft beer drinker.

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

This has always been one of my favorite beers, and just recently had one for the first time in a long time. Poured from the 750 ml bottle and drank from a snifter.

A: A nice hazy amber color, reminds me of raw honey. A decent head which did not last too long.

S: Wonderfully light and citrusy, but not overpowering. Nice hints of spice as well. As the beer warmed, the aroma came through even more.

T: Fruit notes, but not overpowering. Has a finish that's always been hard for me to categorized. Clean aftertaste with excellent balance of yeast, malt, and citrus. Alcohol isn't overpowering.

M: Full and smooth, with even carbonation.

D: Very easy to drink, making it dangerous at 9%! An excellent cold weather beer.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Goblet from a bottle.

Appearance: A large foam head forms. The head slowly collapses and leaves sticky lacing. The body is a hazy dark straw.

Smell: Sweet and fruity. Alcohol esters sit behind an herbal array of scents.

Taste: The sweet and fruity flavors stand out after the first sip. The alcohol emerges in the aftertaste, along with the malts and spices. The malts create a smooth body for the spices to sit on.

Mouthfeel: Smooth body. Fairly carbonated, perfect for the style in my opinion.

Overall: La Fin Du Monde really stands out from other Tripel varieties. It packs an incredible amount of flavor. Certain friends of mine do not care for this beer because it can be a bit overwhelming. I pace myself when drinking this for a couple of reasons... One being the price, and another reason is because it has a complex flavor.

Bottom Line: Not wallet-friendly but definitely a brew that fans of the Tripel style need to try.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

La Fin Du Monde was recommended to me by a respected beer loving friend after he heard how much I like Chimay (Blue and White labels - Grand Cru and Cinq Cents). I have to say that La Fin Du Monde is right there with Chimay white label. It truly has become my go to beer. We had a party at the house on the eve of the eve (of New Years) and I bought a wide selection of craft and high gravity beer. Chimay was on the menu as well as Sue from Yazoo, an IPA from Schafly, Brookyn, and others. La Fin Du Monde was by far the overall favorite. I have also found that it has a rare ability to appeal to women that appreciate good beer as well as appealing to men. That may be because you don't taste the alcohol like some high grav beers I am familiar with. That could be a good or bad thing depending on how familiar one is with high grav beer and how many you have!

If you are in Nashville sometime, La Fin is on draft at The Pharmacy in East Nashville. They have a number of other fine beers on draft, of course, along with a terrific beer garden out back to serve great brats, burgers, etc. You can find it by the bottle in most places that serve high gravity beers, including the Flying Saucer. The Saucer, by the way, also has Chimay on tap just in case you want to do a taste test between the two.

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

The BJCP gives this as an example of a Tripel, but I tend to agree with the BA, Belgian Strong classification. I drink this often, I decided to finally give it a proper review.

It pours a hazy yellow with a beautiful crisp frothy lace head. A sweet aroma suggests fruit perhaps peach. It has a creamy character that is full of carbonation. The 9% ABV is not noticeable in the taste or mouthfeel making it very drinkable. The finish is effervescent and clean. It’s very flavorful and downright delicious.

Unibroue makes fine products and this is not exception. As I mentioned above, I have this somewhat regularly and I anticipate many happy returns.

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

It's the end of the world as we know it... I just had to review the beer in my (current) avatar for my 100th review. Tripel isn't one of my favorite styles, but I absolutely love LFDM. I'll try to be objective here.

A: A painfully slow pour from a foil-wrapped 12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip yields 3+ fingers of frothy head that crests the lip, but does not overflow. After a minute or two, the head has receded to a ring leaving fat chunks of sticky lace on the glass. A hazy golden glow eminates from the glass, begging me to drink.

S: Notes of peach and apricot are most obvious up front. Lurking in the background is possibly a bit of honey and a mild spiciness.

T: Fruity flavors are most obvious up front, with notes of golden raisins and a bit of banana from the Belgian yeast. There's also some mild toast flavors. The finish shows just a hint of hop bite with a nutty aftertaste.

M: Rich and full bodied. The only knock is that a bit more effervescence would be appreciated. Maybe I should have been even MORE careful on the pour!

D: Like I said up front, this is one of my favorites! I could sip this one all night, but it is definitely a sipper.

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

A--Pours a rich golden apricot color. Has a thick smooth head of about 1 1/2 inches, which retains well and leaves some lacing. Very appetizing from the start.

S--Heaven. The same apricot from the appearance, along with strong biscuit, yeast, and dough. I also detect some banana and clove.

T--Essence of sweet and ripe light fruits--pear, apricot, papaya--but it's not markedly sweet or cloing, by far. The biscuity, buttery yeast provides the perfect backdrop and rounds it out into a beautiful dry finish.

M--Smooth, rich, and creamy, it coats the palate and allows the complex tastes to linger for miles.

D--The alcohol is remarkedly well hidden, though the warmth is there. This could kick your butt if you're not careful.

Overall, this is one of the best belgians I've ever had. It is frickin beautiful. Stellar example of this style.

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

A: Hazy golden color. Two finger head; thick, creamy. Dissipates quickly, yet nobly, leaving a nice lacing. Tiny bubbles noticeable, giving the beer a playful character.

S: A wonderful balance between sweet and spicy. Notes of apple, citrus, some malt, and pepper.

T: Sweet on the front of the tongue, initially citrus-y; the 9% ABV makes itself apparent with a (inoffensive) metallic twang. Matures into notes of cherry and phenolic cloves and pepper. Leaves a warm feeling and a bitter, dry aftertaste.

M: Smooth and soft on the front, with a satisfactory weight. Carbonation tingles the back of the throat.

O: Wonderful. My first tasting of La Fin du Monde (as well as my first review). I think I've found a new favorite.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue