La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Really, 9% ABV? This goes down so smooth, you'd never notice. Unibroue is a great brewery and is this is their pinnacle beer. It's clear, bright, sippable or drinkable straight. I woudl bribe friends to buy cases and drive them back over the border. This is a beer to seek out; it's a lot to pack into such a small bottle.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

A- Was a cloudy yellow, but looked more orange when not held up to the light. Not much head, mainly some nice lacing.

S- Fruit was the first thing I noticed, more a citrus type of fruit. Then hit me with more spices, mainly pepper and coriander.

T- The flavor to me was like a spiced fruit. Start with citrus like fruit notes, then the spices kick in. A very peppery beer, which actually balances the fruitiness nicely.

M- Not a thick beer by any stretch, but the carbonation really helps give this beer some presence. Not much aftertaste here, left me with a clean feeling.

D- Very drinkable considering the alcohol content. I call this a sneaky beer, it is so smooth and so little hint of the alcohol content that it can really hit you when you least expect it. For a high alcohol beer, very drinkable. Yet another winner from Unibroue.

After having more of this, I have upped my rating of this one. One of my 1 or 2 favorite beers. Bliss in a bottle.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Served cold from a 750 mL bottle with cork and cage. I used a Corsendonk glass as it was the closest in shape to the one pictured on the Unibroue website.

Appearance: Pale golden yellow, cloudy from the yeast. Very strong and fast forming head composed of itty-bitty bubbles. Slight lacing occured as this glorious elixir was consumed.

Smell: Strong smell of pepper and coriander followed by fruity smells, mostly orange and lemon.

Taste: Powerful spicy and fruity flavors (as noted above) giving way to malt with just a titch of hoppy crispness at the end. Lingering glimpses of other fruits like banana and pear danced across my tongue as I pondered another sip. The alcohol can be sensed lurking in the background.

Mouthfeel: Effervescent, crisp and smooth. Not too watery, not too oily.

Drinkability: _Extremely_ drinkable, despite (and maybe in spite of) the alcohol content. I feel sorry I only bought one of these... thank God there's more at the store!!!

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a solid, cloud, pale orange color. The head is enormous, bright white and fluffy, and lasts for the whole glass. The aroma is of citrus fruits with floral and herbal notes. This beer smells fantastic. The taste is citrusy and tangy with some alcohol in the background. Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied. Overall, this is a great brew, and very enjoyable. I would recommend this to anyone who wants something big and refreshing on a hot summer day.

12 oz bottle to snifter.

A: Pale, straw-like yellow. Fluffy white head that disappeared quickly. Very hazy.

S: Spiced fruit. Great spice aroma with notes of apple skin and pear. Smells fantastic.

T: Follows the nose very well. Clove spiciness up front, with the fruit sweetness following behind. Some definite malt sweetness and yeast esters on the tongue. Gives a great warming feeling, and a very slight bitterness.

M: Crisp, creamy, high carbonation.

D: Aside from the warming feeling you get drinking this, the alcohol isn't noticeable at all. Extremely drinkable.

A fantastic Tripel. Definitely of the same caliber as the Westmalle Tripel. I'll be buying more of this very soon.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

La Fin du Monde is one of the first real Canadian beers I've had (I exclude Molson's and Labatt's on general principle). The appearance is an amber-brown, with a slightly opaque quality. The smell is pretty citrusy, though it doesn't overwhelm you. The taste is where this one shines. It gives you hints of apple and other fruits, along with a yeast flavor. The mouthfeel is very lively - some might say a little bit too lively - giving off a highly carbonated texture. Overall, this is an excellent beer and highly drinkable. It's something one could easily latch onto.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Appearance: hazy orange-yellow with active carbonation supporting a persistent white head that slowly reduces to a cap and never disappears. Beautiful lacing is seen on the glass.

Aroma: scents of banana and clove waft around a lovely bouquet of light fruit, apples and pears to my nose. Sweet with a spicy backround. Lovely.

Taste: Explosive musty fruitiness that finishes dry and bitter. Oh God, yes. I can die a happy man. Yeasty, fruity, vinous, alcoholic, oh this is beer I live for. Apple and pear predominate in this vinous, alcoholic brew.

Mouthfeel: Oh yes. Just like a good Belgian Strong Pale Ale. Wonderfully attacking with carbonation and not watery. Excellent.

Drinkability: Is this heaven?

Notes: Dear God, this is good. It looks as good as any trappist and tastes as good, too. Damn I love this beer, especially when it warms. Oh thank God for Unibroue.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet tulip. Beer was enjoyed over the course of about an hour.

A: Beer pours a kind of peachy color with a very light colored two finger head that subsided in about 5 minutes. Some yeast crept into the glass which clouded the beer a little, but some good bubbling is still visible.

S: Aroma is most decidedly fruity and estery. I got a little banana and clove notes, as well as some biscuity malts. Smell is more in your face than other tripels.

T: Good grief these Canadians at Unibroue have done it right! A perfect mix of breadiness, esters from the yeast, and floral/herbal hops. There is some pepper-like spiciness and a noticeable but not overwhelming dose of alcohol.

M: Feels very bubbly in the mouth as the carbonation carries those wonderful flavors. It's a little creamy as well. Finish is very drying.

D: Should a tripel go down this easy? Easy to finish a 750 in a night. Dangerously drinkable. The 9.0% ABV does creep up on you, however.

O: In my honest and humble opinion, the best tripel in the world, even better than Westmalle. Simply a treat to drink, and a steal at $6 for a 750 or $10 for a four pack of 12 oz. bottles.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

A metric 750ml bottle that like other UB offerings has a strange, but quite striking, label.

The Cork was pulled & a gunmetal smoke lingered for a while in the neck, rose & swayed back & forth like an Indian King Cobra whilst peering at the outside world. I wondered if a Genie would appear & grant me three wishes. Sadly, it did not, & eventually the smoke dispersed as I poured the beer into a Duvel glass.

Great looks! This is the consummate incredibly fantastic looking Supermodel; a perfect formed curvaceous tanned body, soft blonde hair and deep ocean-blue eyes – but somehow, you are always drawn to the mole on her top lip. The slight imperfection of the milky hazed golden translucent body of this beer just makes this offering more real, understandable and so damn sexy. The slightly hazed golden color in the Duvel glass also seems so appropriate – a long lost cousin perhaps? Tastes like it.

A massive head builds at first, then like the ‘rubber-neckers’ at an accident when they realize no-one has been maimed, or died – they soon disperse. The head rescinds to a thin light uni-molecular covering, with a clinging white halo. Some lace, but not much.

Tastes are so refreshing, fruity pineapples mixed with lashings of fresh wheat beer infused with black pepper, clove impregnated apples, pears and some juicy fleshy mangos.

Massive mouthfeel that is partly attributable to the high inherent carbonation I feel. This beer dances on the mouth like a Lap Dancer that spies your wallet full of Money. Not that I would know – I have never had a wallet full of money.

The finish is like spending $300 on a meal for your loved one, it is enjoyable, makes you feel good, but only you know it ever happened, it was experienced, but it is only in your own minds and memories - you lost the receipt as well, so have no proof. Damn. I know this beer is great, indeed, it is a Classic. It’s just so hard to prove it.

Definitely Belgium in Style,
Duvelian in Looks and Pedigree,
Wheat Beer in Education and Influence,
– But clearly, VERY “Unibroue” in Character.

This is no Dumb Blonde – Quite Stupendous.
An Aston-Martin of the Beer World; Class, Individuality, Uniqueness and Presence.

"...Except you , you were talking about the end of the world….
I took the money, I spiked your drink,
You miss too much these days if you stop to think,
You led me on with those innocent eyes,
You know I love the element of surprise…..”

“The End of the World” ????
– well, only when supplies of this beer Run Out for Ever.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

The colour is orange-pale brown-yellow. The liquid is somewhat cloudy. The foam is at first enormous (almost like a Duvel), but it slowly sinks down to a finger thick uneven head without much lacing.

The smell is fruity with notes of spices and sweet malt. Oh, I like it! There are notes of bitter citric fruits, oat cookies, herbs (Basilica? Cloves?), brown sugar, spring flowers and a gentle sour note. Like a Hoegaarden Wit with extra everything!

Do I dare to taste? Oh yes. Wheat, yeast, herbs, sourness, bitter hops, citric fruits. And everything just works out great! Lots of Belgian flavours, with a particular flavour if bitter oranges and wheat ale. But, although there are lots of flavours and alcohol like a weak wine, it is very drinkable and not heavy at all. Impressive stuff. The loooong aftertaste is fruity with some hoppy flavours, wheat flour, tangerines and some matured strong wine.

The carbonation is strong (but quickly fading) with small bubbles. It tickles your tounge, but it is in no way sharp.

A truly great beer, and a great Belgian beer from Canada?Boyam I pleasantly surprised!

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

One of my absolute favorite beers. I am surprised I havent reviewed this one until now.

Poured into my St Bernardus Goblet. This beer looks very similar to its cousin, Don De Dieu. It pours a hazzy, medium gold, with a bright white, creamy head.

The trademark unibroue yeast is apparent from the first sniff. Apricots and earth dominate the nose.

This beer starts off semi-sweet and fruity; pears and apricots. Despite the apparent malt sweetness, this beer manages to feel fairly light and dry. A bit of grain in the finish with the tiniest amount of alcohol. This beer is amazing. To me it is a traditional Tripel, with super-charged yeast. The taste is uniquely Unibroue.

There are few beers a drinkable as this one. You barely notice that it is 9%. A true Gem, and a regular beer at this house.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

A - I usually snub "appearance" as being an important factor in what makes a good beer. And perhaps it was after a few beers that I decided I loved the way this one looked, but I do. It has a wonderful dark, vibrant golden color.

S - The smell is great. It smells hoppier than it tastes, which is a bit off-putting, but generally strong with fruity undertones.

T - A wonderful combination of delicate and strong, complicated but not overly so. A hoppy yellow ale with strong notes of fruit and something I can't place. The end effect is particularly pleasing.

M - Good. Thinner than a stout, but thicker than a lager. Just a bit thicker than an October fest brew with a good amount of natural fiz.

O - Overall, great. This has been one of my favorite beers for years. While I don't think it is easy enough to be as popular to drink as Guiness, I think it has a perfectly balanced flavor, at least for my tastes.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

I would have to say this is one of my favorite brews of all time. I really love this beer. Even the name is awesome: "La Fin Du Monde" is French for "End of the World."

I poured it into a glass and it immediately formed a thick, three-finger head. Bubbles continuously rise to the surface creating a nice lacing once the head has receded.

The smell is strong and fruity.

The taste is very malty, almost sweet but not quite. Very smooth going down, and the Belgian spice is notable at the finish. The high alcohol content is masked behind these immense flavors.

I am in love with this beer.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Love, love this beer. The taste is phenomenal. The aroma makes my nose smile (if it could). The only reason it doesn't get perfect 5's is the high ABV. I want to be able to drink more of this beer in one sitting but 1 bottle does it for me. I'm so glad it is available year round at any decent bottle shop.

La Fin Du Monde
Tasted/reviewed @ DBA bottle>Chimay goblet, NOLA - 3/20/09 (afternoon)
I also had this @ the Bull Dog in Nawlins on 3/19/09 and used these notes also.
A 4.5 - Good head, great lacing reduces to nice collar. Golden honey in color.
S 4.5 - Sweet and mild spices. Ginger and clove notes. Clove notes are a solid aroma of this brew.
T 5.0 - Tastes follow smell, on wheat like malt base. Mild but sweet and clove-y. Clove is very present in taste. This tripel is a fine example at the Belgian skill to stealth the 9% ABV! Well hidden my neighboring Canadians!
MF 4.5 - Medium body, medium carbonation
D 5.0 - Dee-lish! I have been waiting for an opportunity to try this Tripel and it lived up to my expectations. It was excellent!

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours from 12oz bottle with very thick carbonated head which retained for a good amount of time. Cloudy, pale golden-orange color; overall gives the appearance of a newly opened champagne. Very nice.
Smells of a sweet/sour combination fermented yeast and cirtus with a breaded overnote.
Rich flavors of yeast, orange citrus and spiciness. Hop character is strong, which balances the yeast. Dry and astringent finish.
Dry yeast finish on the carbonation tip and hoppiness leave a tingling mouthfeel, vibrating off the middle of the tongue.
Very drinkable, one of the best tripels I have ever tasted..perhaps even richer than my original favorite from St Bernardus. Well done.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

One of the best crisp beers I ever had. The crisp refreshing taste makes it an excellent choice with many foods. The pour is golden with a slight cloudy hue. Not to heavy whatsoever. I like the balance of a touch of white pepper, with mellow citrus/champagne like flavor. Be careful this is 9% alcohol, which you can't detect after its too late, have fun ;)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue