La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,859 | Hads: 9,465
4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

750ml from Arrowine (arlington, va)
wow. how delicicous
la fin du monde pours a nice dark straw color with a thick fluffy head that settles into a much thinner but consistent coating on the surface with the cool little blotches/rings of belgian foam sitting on top. after the pour i could instantly smell the fruity belgian aroma (not overpowering, just distinct). the brew has a slight winey alcohol hotness, but only enough to remind me that i'm drinking a 9%, and a little hint of a german weizen, with clove flavors. noticeable lemony citrus; slightly tart. spritzily carbonated, which puts a little tingle on the tongue

i've had few brews of this genre but i will most definitely have more after this (or perhaps just more of LFDM). cheers, unibroue!

4.16/5  rDev -3.5%

This beer pours a golden color with a huge thick white head that settles down quickly into a manageable size. This beer is highly carbonated like champagne and leaves belgian lace on the side of my glass. Aroma is malty sweet with plenty of fruitty esters and a hint of alcohol. Flavor is fruitty and spicy, clove with a hint of banana. Malt flavor is there in the taste and also a bit of hops to balance the bitterness. I wonder if this beer is spiced or if it is all from the yeast. Nice mouthfeel but a little to carbonated for my liking, however, once the beer breathes for awhile it dies down to a reasonable level. Good drinkability for the style and the abv but definately not a session beer.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured a hazy golden yellow tihe a thick white pillowy head that left huge lacing all the way to the bottom.

Strong yeast and honey odors dominate the nose of this one.

Flavor up front is slightly sweet with orange and honey flavors mixing well with the yeast flavors for a very balanced beer.

Mouthfeel is very creamy and thick with the high ABV and heavy carbonation lending to a pleasant fuzzy warming.

Drinkability is very good on this one. Definitly could be a decent session beer.

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

Warm, hazy apricot orange with a substantial long-lived head. Lots of lace. A delightful beer to look at.

Gentle on the nose, but full of character - spicy and fruity with noticeable yeast. Wonderful lead in to drinking the beer.

Spicy and fruity to drink. Slightly heavy or syrupy, but not distracting. Sweet overall. Alcohol is noticeable, but not overbearing.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

12 ounce bottle with best-before date of October 5th 2007.

Pours a cloudy golden-yellow with huge creamy white head, plenty of carbonation, and very persistent lace along the glass. Smells appealingly of sweet citrus fruits blended with yeast and peppery spices. Flavors start with sweet fruits and pepper spice, develop into warming alcohol esters, and finish with a lovely drying yeastiness. Creamy in the mouth with strong carbonation. Superlatively appetizing and drinkable considering the high strength.

A fantastic Belgian strong pale ale! The first example I had was in a 750 ml bottle, which was only decent and perhaps not well-handled. The current 12 oz bottles are exceptionally fresh and incomparable beers.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Whoa! Maybe I've lived in North Carolina too long but I might not ready for a 9% ABV brew. Received this today in a beer of the Month Club and cracked this one first after checking out all these reviews. I have no comparisons in this style or alcohol content yet but I'm in for a treat. Poured a hazy yellow with very nice carbonation. Floral aroma and a real spicy kick to the taste. However, can taste the alcohol. Mouthfeel fantastic. One bottle went to the head . . . impressive. This is a different league for me and I may be ready to step up to the plate.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is one of my favorite beers, and now that it's readily available in Manitoba, I'm Laughing.

Pours a hazy, relatively opaque golden colour with a highly carbonated head that subsides to a thin lace, smell is alternately warm and inviting and light and airy...very Belgian. The taste is of coriander and spice, mildly citrussy, also wheaty, and very complex. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated but the alcohol is so well hidden that it goes down awfully smooth, deceptively so. The only reason that the drinkability goes down IS the high alcohol, which prevents me from pounding these back. The price is also a setback, but what can you do for such a high-quality beer. The best beer brewed in Canada in my opinion, but I can't say I've drank all of them either. Very highly recommended!

After One Year: Head retains a little less after a bit of time, but the lacing stays. Aroma hasn't changed much, still very spicy, fruity and yeasty, but with a bit more of that oily orange peel bitterness. Taste is a little drier, a little yeastier. The flavours are melding into a more glorious whole and losing a bit of their distinctiveness, but that's not a bad thing. I'll come back to this in a another year.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

This beer is fantastic. I wholeheartedly believe that La Fin Du Monde can stand up to any beer in Belgium. I could drink this stuff all night, and on several occasions I have. This hazy masterpiece should be savored, but it's so tasty you can't help but to pound these down. Truly a ray of light on an otherwise cloudy day.

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

Very hazy golden color with a soapy big-bubble head. Lots of carbonation. Spicy and peppery taste with a slight citrusy orange peel. Sweet malt gives way to a tart lip-smacking dryness and a very warm finish, no doubt from the high alcohol content.

A decent brew - but probably my least favorite offering to date from Unibroue.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Finally I can review this beer after having it again.

The color is hazy peack with 2 fingers of head that falls to a quarter inch over the beer. Looks nice. The nose is really strong in fruity esters, a good belgian nose. I dig it. The flavor is good and sweet, with lots of the fruity chatacters coming through. Nice malty characters in this beer. The feel is thick and creamy...nice body on a good beer. Drinkability is good for a 9% beer. It was easy and smooth and just good all around.

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%

My first La Fin was had about a year ago, right about the time I jumped ship. After being aboard the USS Anheuser for nearly twenty years my taste buds couldn't appreciate this fine creation. Now I get sick when I think of all the money I wasted over the years on that fizzy urine. This is a great beer to drink and forget how stupid I was.
While I'm not a big fizz lover, and this brew is well carbonated, I do love this stuff. The head and the cloudy appearance are reminisent of a wheat beer. That notion hits the bricks once the nose catches the aroma of a variety of fruits. I'll sit and swirl this grog in a chalice until some of the head dies off and it warms slightly. Then, that's when I think this beer can really be appreciated. The sharp carbonation is calmed a bit and the mouthfeel is smooth, malty, fruity and not overpowered by the 9% abv content. The finish is a bit dry but that just makes you want another sip. Before you know it, the bottle is empty and you'll be yearning for another.
This is truly an all season brew. Summer or winter, this concoction is consistent, delicious and dangerously easy to drink. Oh, Canada! Land of the 3 gallon per flush toilet and home of the Unibroue brewery.

4.21/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured a beautiful clear gold with a vouminous frothy white head that stuck around for awhile leaving nice belgian lace behind. Aroma is dry with an apple like ester and some clean pale malt with a hint of alcohol. The flavor begins with a a smooth sweet maltiness that is reminscent of a pale bock in that it has a light cereal sweetness. The flavor soon segues into a hoppy flavor that makes itself known but is not bitter or overpowering. The flavor finishes with no heat or any indicator of the high level of alcohol this brew contains which to me makes it a perfect beer to introduce a friend into the pleasure of a belgian style beer. Very beautiful beer though it definetly commands respect as it goes down smoother than a glass of milk.

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pour is cloudy but pale yellow with a massive white, frothy head which sticks around for some time. Smell is mainly spicey with light fruits, wheat, and a somewhat floral / hoppy tinge all also there; distinctively belgian and inviting.

A tremendously appealing taste, a soft wheat tone mixes with fruity goodness; oranges, some other harder to ID citrus, a spicey bite (softer than Maudite but still good) and plenty of yeast as well. There is also a nice hop tone that starts it off and hangs around throughout which is enjoyable, it's there, but doesn't try to dominate the flavour like so many overly hopped beers are. There is also a noticeable alcohol tinge, not strong, but present. Overall taste is high quality all the way.

Mouthfeel, well, good, it feels full for the style (has some body) but it's not quite up there with the best, signficantly better than average though. Drinkability meanwhile is also up there, particularly for a higher alcohol content beer.

Unibroue is one of the most consistent north american breweries around, and La Fin is another perfect example of why they have such a reputation with craft beer fans.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

12oz bottle

Appearance- Peeling back the foil I poored this into the inappropriate glass, an average pint glass. Beer comes in a typical cloudy strong belgian ale amber color. with a thick off white head that leaves little lace.

Smell- there are smells I can't quite determine, but there is plenty of fruit aromas with a light hoppy smell.

Taste- this is where this beer excels. There is a robust fruit flavor followed by some pepper which finishes with a warming alcohol finish.

Drinkability- a great ale which comes in a 4 pack which should be perfect to last me through tonights baseball game. Go sox

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Apearance: Dark yellow-tan color and a fine head.
Smell: Fruity malt scent and hints of spice.
Taste: Wow. A big spicey, salty flavor with and excellent malt profile. I think I'm tasting whole-leaf hops in here. Great stuff.
Mouthfeel: Loads of carbonation and classic Belgian stickiness.
Drinkability: One of the more drinkable Belgians I've had the privilege to try.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

75 cl. bottle with a 07-07-06 best by date.
Pours a cloudy straw hue with a decent two finger head. Smells spicy, peppery, yeasty. A tart, spicy citrusy taste is accompanied by a crisp, zesty carbonation. Finishes with a yeasty alcohol taste on the breath.
A most excellent brew.

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a hazy golden yellow, with a thick creamy smooth off white head.
lots of champange like carbonation. Not much lace.

Aroma is fruity, yeasty, bready, orangy.

Flavor is citrusy, spicy,fruity, with a little bit of hops on the end. warming alcohol.

Champange like mouthfeel, bubbly but with a creamy quality to the finish.

4.18/5  rDev -3%

Helluva purdy pour! Creamy, frothy...*dramatic* head. A persistent, beautiful, cloudy tan body. Very aesthetically pleasing. [ed note: at the finish of this beer, I find it to be very possibly the most aesthetically pleasing beer ever. Beer goggles?]

Smells of pineapple, yeast, alcohol, raspberry, wheat-beeriness, and...melon? Intriguing to my nose.

First thing I notice about the taste is, strangely enough, the fresh-bready aftertaste. Second swallow, notice the pungent fruitiness. More pineapple. Tough to put my finger on a lot of these tastes, but it's light, slightly fruity (less so than the smell), and pleasant. Raspberry seems to be here...I feel like I'm hunting in a beautiful forest for a tree that I recognize, but they're all, despite their niceness, unidentifiable.

I seem to be nearly done with the beer without noticing doing so (and I don't have a drinking problem, I promise!), so I guess it's damn drinkable. My *only* complaint is that I doubt I could have another and not be beset by the pain of (too-)rapid inebriation and overload of powerful flavor.

4.74/5  rDev +10%

I've been enjoying Unibroue's fine selection of beers for quite a while now. I was amazed to find (colecting dust on the floor) a 6 pack of this particular brew labelled "2000" at a local corner store.

All I can say is : store this gem. Stash it, Keep it celared away and forget it for at least 4-5 years.

I've had fresh "la fin du monde" and as some might have mentionned, carboniation is strong and alcohol taste is also very pronounced. After 4.75 years of shelving these attributes haved toned down, giving it a mellower yet fully flavored "la fin du monde".

Don't get this review wrong, this brew does not grow weak with time, it grows... becomes more mature...

Store this beer! I beg you!!!

4.87/5  rDev +13%

In my review for Maudite, I mentioned that you can definitely notice the 8% abv, but I didn't notice the 9% abv in la Fin Du Monde at all. I'm not sure I'll ever drink a beer I like more than this in my entire life. Smells and tastes relatively sweet, and is a pretty cloudy golden color. Mouthfeel and drinkability are incredible as the alcohol is hidden so well that I could drink this like, forever. Now that I've tried Unibroue I'm gonna save them for nice occasions since I can't live my life spending this much on beer...

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a hazy apricot color with a tight, firm 1" head that drops slowly leaving a scattering of lace.
Smell is somewhat indistinct citrus (grapefruit, orange and or lemon), malt and spice.
Taste is malty, grapefruit/orange, hops (though not to heavy), spice (nutmeg & allspice, maybe a little pepper), very complex.
Mouthfeel is very smooth, warming in the throat, full bodied.
Drinkability is huge, only restriction is the 9% ABV. Otherwise, I could drink this all day.

3.92/5  rDev -9%

12 fl oz bottle, silver foil wrapper around the neck. Pours as something of a hazy straw color, nice, thick head of tiny bubbles that seems like it's gonna stick around for a bit. Nice, sweet smell to it, with a bit of a floral smell to it as well. Very smooth, pleasing aroma.

The smooth sweetness carries over to the taste, as well as a bit of a spicy touch, perhaps a bit of clove or something similar. Strong malt flavor at the start, with some hop flavor that follows, almost completely masking the alcohol. Mouthfeel is almost a bit creamy, with a powdery, almost dry feel to it at the end.

A very good beer. I like most of Unibroue's offerings, but this is a new one for me. Very drinkable, despite being 9% alcohol.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into (what else?) a La Fin Du Monde glass.

The beer is a beautiful, shining gold with abundant carbonation. The head is massive, rising above the lip of my glass. Fluffy, white and cloud-like, it recedes after a few minutes leaving a wonderful example of Belgian lace along the side of the glass. A great pour.

The aroma is fruity and yeasty with an obvious spiciness. The alcohol is also evident in the aroma. The beer has a wonderful aroma.

The taste is dominated by a tart fruit and peppery spice. The alcohol that was so evident in the aroma is here, not so strong at first but warming as the beer is swallowed. Not a particular sweet beer, the yeasty quality is also at the forefront and a slight hops bitterness lingers. The beer is very carbonated, which makes this beer an interesting drink.

I would say that the La Fin Du Monde is very drinkable, however at 9% ABV, I would have to be very careful with my speed of consumption.

I love this beer!

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

This poured out a murky golden orange with about a half-inch of white foam sitting atop the body. No lace was left as this was consumed. Aroma was very spicy with notes of a lemony zest and a bit of yeast as well. The taste stays true to the smell with spiciness really dominating with a touch of fruit over a doughy backbone. Lemon and apple notes were the most distinguishable. A nice spicy bitter after taste ending this lovely brew. Mouthfeel was bubbly with about a medium body. Drinkability was good and I would definitely have this again in the future. All around good brew.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Well I finally got ahold of this guy and am I ever glad that I did. The color is of a typical triple light in color however I had very little head that didn't stick around and no lacing. The smell is that typical lovely belgian smell with sweet smells of citrus and sourness. The taste came as a shock. This beer is as good as everyone says it is. Complex and just all round wonderful fruity and a hint of hops. This is a nice complex beer and a mouthfeel that you don't want to miss especially when you can feel it run across your tounge like a nice cold peice of ice, or something like that. Anyway I glad I only got a 4 pack at 9% I wouldn't be able to last much longer. I am sure these will all be gone soon.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue