Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,846 | Hads: 9,383
4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

12oz bottle

Appearance- Peeling back the foil I poored this into the inappropriate glass, an average pint glass. Beer comes in a typical cloudy strong belgian ale amber color. with a thick off white head that leaves little lace.

Smell- there are smells I can't quite determine, but there is plenty of fruit aromas with a light hoppy smell.

Taste- this is where this beer excels. There is a robust fruit flavor followed by some pepper which finishes with a warming alcohol finish.

Drinkability- a great ale which comes in a 4 pack which should be perfect to last me through tonights baseball game. Go sox

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Apearance: Dark yellow-tan color and a fine head.
Smell: Fruity malt scent and hints of spice.
Taste: Wow. A big spicey, salty flavor with and excellent malt profile. I think I'm tasting whole-leaf hops in here. Great stuff.
Mouthfeel: Loads of carbonation and classic Belgian stickiness.
Drinkability: One of the more drinkable Belgians I've had the privilege to try.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

75 cl. bottle with a 07-07-06 best by date.
Pours a cloudy straw hue with a decent two finger head. Smells spicy, peppery, yeasty. A tart, spicy citrusy taste is accompanied by a crisp, zesty carbonation. Finishes with a yeasty alcohol taste on the breath.
A most excellent brew.

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a hazy golden yellow, with a thick creamy smooth off white head.
lots of champange like carbonation. Not much lace.

Aroma is fruity, yeasty, bready, orangy.

Flavor is citrusy, spicy,fruity, with a little bit of hops on the end. warming alcohol.

Champange like mouthfeel, bubbly but with a creamy quality to the finish.

4.18/5  rDev -3%

Helluva purdy pour! Creamy, frothy...*dramatic* head. A persistent, beautiful, cloudy tan body. Very aesthetically pleasing. [ed note: at the finish of this beer, I find it to be very possibly the most aesthetically pleasing beer ever. Beer goggles?]

Smells of pineapple, yeast, alcohol, raspberry, wheat-beeriness, and...melon? Intriguing to my nose.

First thing I notice about the taste is, strangely enough, the fresh-bready aftertaste. Second swallow, notice the pungent fruitiness. More pineapple. Tough to put my finger on a lot of these tastes, but it's light, slightly fruity (less so than the smell), and pleasant. Raspberry seems to be here...I feel like I'm hunting in a beautiful forest for a tree that I recognize, but they're all, despite their niceness, unidentifiable.

I seem to be nearly done with the beer without noticing doing so (and I don't have a drinking problem, I promise!), so I guess it's damn drinkable. My *only* complaint is that I doubt I could have another and not be beset by the pain of (too-)rapid inebriation and overload of powerful flavor.

4.74/5  rDev +10%

I've been enjoying Unibroue's fine selection of beers for quite a while now. I was amazed to find (colecting dust on the floor) a 6 pack of this particular brew labelled "2000" at a local corner store.

All I can say is : store this gem. Stash it, Keep it celared away and forget it for at least 4-5 years.

I've had fresh "la fin du monde" and as some might have mentionned, carboniation is strong and alcohol taste is also very pronounced. After 4.75 years of shelving these attributes haved toned down, giving it a mellower yet fully flavored "la fin du monde".

Don't get this review wrong, this brew does not grow weak with time, it grows... becomes more mature...

Store this beer! I beg you!!!

4.87/5  rDev +13%

In my review for Maudite, I mentioned that you can definitely notice the 8% abv, but I didn't notice the 9% abv in la Fin Du Monde at all. I'm not sure I'll ever drink a beer I like more than this in my entire life. Smells and tastes relatively sweet, and is a pretty cloudy golden color. Mouthfeel and drinkability are incredible as the alcohol is hidden so well that I could drink this like, forever. Now that I've tried Unibroue I'm gonna save them for nice occasions since I can't live my life spending this much on beer...

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a hazy apricot color with a tight, firm 1" head that drops slowly leaving a scattering of lace.
Smell is somewhat indistinct citrus (grapefruit, orange and or lemon), malt and spice.
Taste is malty, grapefruit/orange, hops (though not to heavy), spice (nutmeg & allspice, maybe a little pepper), very complex.
Mouthfeel is very smooth, warming in the throat, full bodied.
Drinkability is huge, only restriction is the 9% ABV. Otherwise, I could drink this all day.

3.92/5  rDev -9%

12 fl oz bottle, silver foil wrapper around the neck. Pours as something of a hazy straw color, nice, thick head of tiny bubbles that seems like it's gonna stick around for a bit. Nice, sweet smell to it, with a bit of a floral smell to it as well. Very smooth, pleasing aroma.

The smooth sweetness carries over to the taste, as well as a bit of a spicy touch, perhaps a bit of clove or something similar. Strong malt flavor at the start, with some hop flavor that follows, almost completely masking the alcohol. Mouthfeel is almost a bit creamy, with a powdery, almost dry feel to it at the end.

A very good beer. I like most of Unibroue's offerings, but this is a new one for me. Very drinkable, despite being 9% alcohol.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into (what else?) a La Fin Du Monde glass.

The beer is a beautiful, shining gold with abundant carbonation. The head is massive, rising above the lip of my glass. Fluffy, white and cloud-like, it recedes after a few minutes leaving a wonderful example of Belgian lace along the side of the glass. A great pour.

The aroma is fruity and yeasty with an obvious spiciness. The alcohol is also evident in the aroma. The beer has a wonderful aroma.

The taste is dominated by a tart fruit and peppery spice. The alcohol that was so evident in the aroma is here, not so strong at first but warming as the beer is swallowed. Not a particular sweet beer, the yeasty quality is also at the forefront and a slight hops bitterness lingers. The beer is very carbonated, which makes this beer an interesting drink.

I would say that the La Fin Du Monde is very drinkable, however at 9% ABV, I would have to be very careful with my speed of consumption.

I love this beer!

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

This poured out a murky golden orange with about a half-inch of white foam sitting atop the body. No lace was left as this was consumed. Aroma was very spicy with notes of a lemony zest and a bit of yeast as well. The taste stays true to the smell with spiciness really dominating with a touch of fruit over a doughy backbone. Lemon and apple notes were the most distinguishable. A nice spicy bitter after taste ending this lovely brew. Mouthfeel was bubbly with about a medium body. Drinkability was good and I would definitely have this again in the future. All around good brew.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Well I finally got ahold of this guy and am I ever glad that I did. The color is of a typical triple light in color however I had very little head that didn't stick around and no lacing. The smell is that typical lovely belgian smell with sweet smells of citrus and sourness. The taste came as a shock. This beer is as good as everyone says it is. Complex and just all round wonderful fruity and a hint of hops. This is a nice complex beer and a mouthfeel that you don't want to miss especially when you can feel it run across your tounge like a nice cold peice of ice, or something like that. Anyway I glad I only got a 4 pack at 9% I wouldn't be able to last much longer. I am sure these will all be gone soon.

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

This beer poured a cloudy golden, not much head, not much lacing to speak of.
smell: very nice, fruity complex, hard to define.
taste: delicious! similar to smell , fruity and complex, a bit sweet and some grain.
mouthfeel is great, light and bubbly, just like champagne!
drinkability: Very high! this is one of my favorite beers! but, I can't drink them everyday, as they are high in abv, not a session brew! but great for a little something special once in awhile. Great Stuff!!!

3.99/5  rDev -7.4%

This is no doubt a good beer. It pours almost a dissapointingly pale yellow, with a nice head lace that remains fairly well. The smell is spicy with hints of fruit. The taste is indeed strong and over the top, as advertised. The alcohol comes through strongly, as expected. The clove spicincess of the yeast leads into the bitterness of the hops. I am not sure if I am missing something here, but to me, this is a good, but not neccassirily world-class beer.

Pours a hazy yellow color with a small white head that sticks around. The aroma has a fruity and citrus-like feel. The flavor is yeasty and malty and has some fruit character. The alcohol is also apparent in the taste. Great carbonation. Very good for the tripel style - great representation. I'll have this one again and again.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Presentation: 750 ml corked bottle

Appearance: Pale golden color with a thin white, quickly fading head.

Smell: Aroma is malty with a presence of ripe fruit. A slight yeasty bread smell with a faint alcoholic odor.

Taste: A malty, yeasty flavor mixed with dark fruit flavors (plum & dates). Alcohol can be easily tasted, but definitely not overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, but maybe a little bit overcarbonated. A lighter body than expected with a smooth slightly dry finish.

Overall this is a great brew. A very good representation of the Triple style. This is definitely one of my favorite belgian style ales.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

I would have to say this is one of my favorite brews of all time. I really love this beer. Even the name is awesome: "La Fin Du Monde" is French for "End of the World."

I poured it into a glass and it immediately formed a thick, three-finger head. Bubbles continuously rise to the surface creating a nice lacing once the head has receded.

The smell is strong and fruity.

The taste is very malty, almost sweet but not quite. Very smooth going down, and the Belgian spice is notable at the finish. The high alcohol content is masked behind these immense flavors.

I am in love with this beer.

4.18/5  rDev -3%

Pours a deep golden yellow, with a smaller fizzy white head. Small bubbles continuously run up the side of my glass giving the beer a nice ring of lacing. The aroma is a wonderfully sweet malty smell, some citrus and many floral accents. The taste is a very sweet, malty flavour, much like the nose, great belgian taste, can taste the alcohol, but it is hidden pretty well under the taste. Mouthfeel is smooth and clean, but very carbonated. My mouth is tingling from the effervescence and alcohol. This beer is wonderful and i feel i could drink this forever

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Had I not read a review for this beer, I would have never picked it up for the goofy label. Quite decent though. Citrus and bannana aroma. Tasted almost like a hefe at first. Clove and floral hops came next. Short lived head and carbonation. By the time I finnished the 750ml bottle, the taste was a bit too lingering. Perhaps it got a bit too much air. Good value for a belgian strong ale though.

4.71/5  rDev +9.3%

Bottle: Twist top brown bottle with silver foil. Lists “Ale on Lees”, 9% abv., triple fermentation, a blend of yeasts, translation of La Fin du Monde (the end of the world) glass suggestion (tulip, not flute) and a best by 05-10-07 (sampled in 08-04).
Aroma: Strongly of yeast, with a mild peppery spice. Vanilla and nutmeg notes in the aroma as well.
Appearance: A hazy peach nectar body topped by the fluffiest creamy paper white head. Strong carbonation streams noted. Stubborn patches of lace fight gravity as I join with this delightful brew.
Flavor: Heavenly. A spiced fruit flavor. The fruit goes for the golden, apricot, honeydew melon, dates, and oranges. The spices are light and complimentary; nutmeg, light coriander, vanilla. There is a drying, almost dusty aftertaste that lingers as a shadow of itself. No alcohol flavors noted until the beer warms a bit, but fair amounts of the Belgian yeast flavor, and a light tea like flavor.
Mouthfeel: Silky heavy body, but no chew with a dry, lip smacking finish.
Overall Impression: This is a personal favorite and I saved it to put a splash into my mug for my 250th karma point. This beer turned me on to Belgian styles, and made me a HUGE fan of Unibroue in general. The yeast ties it to its cousins Trois Pistoles and Don de Dieu, but La Fin is drier, and cleaner. This is a great “special occasion” beer. I’ve tried to turn a few people on to great beer with this one, but it’s a bit heavy and strong for most of the macro drinking crowd. Personally, this rocked my world at first taste. While this isn’t a “perfect 5” beer, it’s darn close. Drinkability in the short term is hampered by the heavy handed 9% abv. but I tend to buy this stuff by the case. I can’t recommend this strongly enough to my fellow BA’s that may not have tried this. It’s a MUST TASTE beer.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured a frothy, three-finger head atop a golden orange, slightly cloudy brew into a tulip. It looked so refreshing. The aroma was spicy, cidery and fruity... the immediate tangible smell was sour green apples. If I took a big enough inhale, I could feel the alcohol in my nose. Tastewise, it was tangy, sweet, and sour, once again with a focus on an apple-like flavor, with a nice warmth from the high ABV. It sometimes reminded me of reisling and/or champagne - maybe a white grape twang in there too. For all the apparent sweet tastes, each taste ended up surprisingly dry. Drinking it reminded me of Duvel sometimes and Orval other times... strange. The mouthfeel of this beer was wonderful - effervescent and smooth. Obvioulsy, like other beers with high ABVs, as it warmed and was consumed, the alcohol became more and more apparent.

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

First sip tastes of ripe pears. There, I got that out of my system, I had to say that.

In the glass, it looks very similar to Hefeweizen, cloudy hazy yellow with a large whipped head.

Aroma is slight of ripe bananas with a slight spiciness.. but not alot there

Taste is complex. As I said earlier pears, but ripe pears mixed with alcohol. Very nice.

All in all, a very solid brew.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: Pale, cloudy yellow with an enormous white head; good lacing

Smell: Bananas and a touch of clove; undertones of candi sugar and lemon

Taste: Starts with the banana and candi sugar flavors; by mid-palate, pears and other light fruits arrive along with a lemony bitterness; after the swallow, the pear and stone fruit flavors build into the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with prickly carbonation

Drinkability: Very tasty, with a distinct yeasty character; well made - as good a tripel as you will find

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a caged and corked bomber sporting a "best by" date of 04-05-07 on the back side of the label. Glassware of choice for this brew was my Duvel tulip glass. Great hazy golden color topped by a monstrous white head that seemed eternal, thanks to the incredible amount of fine carbonation that was hauling ass to the surface. Lots of clumpy lace left behind also.
The nose carried the aromas of not-quite ripe bananas, doughy malt, clove, some coriander and a touch of white pepper. The clove aroma really took center stage here.
The taste was like a hybrid hefeweizen and tripel; nice banana and clove flavors up front (though not as omnipresent as in a good hefe) and a more spicy herbal hoppiness in the latter stages (reminiscent of a tripel). Always present was a solid bready malt platform from which the other tastes emerged. The finish had a pleasant peppery bite that was nicely bitter. The feel was medium in body, leaning toward full, and quite dry.
What a great beer! La Fin Du Monde is dangerously drinkable and must be accorded the respect a 9% ABV beer is due. It went great with my dinner and to relax with as I settled into the evening. Definitely worth picking up.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

Slightly hazy straw yellow colour topped by a bright white, long-lasting head that formed some fine lace on the sides of the glass. Very nice. The aroma contained elements of ripe citrus/banana with a pleasant dose of spiciness (mostly clove-like). Some floral hoppiness is present, but is well balanced. Ripe fruit and sweetness are at the forefront of the flavour, with plenty of spiciness as well. Bitterness is present, but lies underneath the other flavours until it dries the palate at the finish, accompanied by a light pepperiness at the back of the tongue. Noticeable, but not overpowering, alcohol warmth in both the mouth and belly. Medium bodied, very smooth, with high carbonation. Effervescent right to the end.

750 mL brown bottle topped with cork, bottled on March 11, 2004 (code C114).

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue