Follow our progress ...

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada | website

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,924 | Ratings: 9,841
4.09/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Like all Unibroue beers, this one is highly carbonated, almost champagne-like. It is not an all occasion beer, at 9.0 ABV, but when it's right it's right. The packaging is impressive, I enjoy giving this as gifts, and it's got a certain undeniable something. I wanted to love this beer, but have to admit that while it is very good I do not know if I consider it a world-class beer. I am willing to assume that I am un-worldly. But I know what I like and there are many beers that I prefer. Each time I go back to it expecting to be surprised, I remember that it has let me down before. Your mileage may vary, and I honestly hope it does. I respect this beer, but I do not love it.

4.19/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pale murkey yellow as poured from bottle into tulip, hazy to look at. Nice 1 finger head recedes to a pool pretty quick. Love this beer, keeps releasing bubbles from the bottom of the glass. Smells, well this is my weak point simply stated Belgian. I get more bubblegum from this beer than any other, no detectible alcohol. Nice clean drinking beer. Mouthfeel on this beer is what rocks, sweetness is to a minimum, nice fizzy dry finish.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I love this beer. La Fin Du Monde pours a golden yellow colour and bright white heads, just as you would expect with a quality tripel. The aromas that fill your nose and flavors that make your mouth sing make this one of my favorite go to beers. As the back label claims, this is truly a "liquid gold". Try it... you know you want to.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I am not really sure what to say that hasn't already been said about this beer. I read the 2014 Brewer's association guidlines for Belgian Tripels. I am pretty sure this is the beer they used as reference. This is the Tripel that all other Tripel's should be judged against. Good luck to those poor bastards.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An excellent triple, slightly different than the classic Belgian version. For a high ABV, the alcohol does not overpower. Full of flavor, a must have.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

I have never ventured into this style before, and this wont stop me from trying others and possibly giving this another go, but I wasn't a big fan of this one. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Maybe I wasn't ready for the yeast but this sure packs a ont of it in. Will give a try again in the future along with other tripels though

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L: Poured from the 750 mL into a tulip, pours a burnt orange color with an extremely fluffy cream white head, about 2 fingers worth of foam.

S: Typical Belgian funk, some malt and biscuit with some dried fruits in there for good measure

T: Absolutely Phenomenal, begins with the typical semi-sweet malt, but it feels lighter and hits more across the palate, fades into a bit of hop/citrus, even kind of a witbier-like taste as well, and finally finishes with a nice peppery dryness

F: Its a bottle-conditioned ale, so expect a medium body with a high amount carbonation

O: All I can say is I have not heard a peep about this beer other than reading some review for another Belgian, so I got it on a whim because it was on sale. "Holy S**t" were the first words uttered after the first sip, this beer is amazing and needs to be hyped up because it is more than worthy of the praise. Probably the premiere example of the style as well.

This pop top champagne style beer radiates class. It has an extremely distinct taste and extremely flavorful. It is a beautiful golden color with a subtle alcoholic bite at the end of a sip.

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Excellent triple golden ale. I really appreciate the character of this beer being so different from an Belgium style triple. This beer is lighter but still full of flavor.

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer pours a slightly hazy(once you pour in the yeast, yum) deep yellow with a copious head. The aroma is classic - overripe banana leads the way, followed by clove, and rounded out by the always unusual bubblegum. The flavor leads with a sweet bubblegum, followed by a wheat like flavor, with a spicy clove and cinnamon finish. This is a beast of a beer. I love Tripels, and this is a magnificent example of the style. What else can you say about a modern classic.

For a long time this was my all time favorite beer. That was when I almost exclusively drank Belgian beer and Stouts. Although it has fallen from my top spot I still have to say it is my favorite Belgian style beer and in my top ten. The mouth feel, the gentle sweetness, the smell and color all do it for me and I remember the first time pulling the glass away from my lips and me saying "this is the BEST beer I have ever had!" But I digress, I love you Fin Du Monde and I'm happy to say it bolstered a few points for Canada in my book.

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Now this was some damn good beer!! When I saw 9%, I thought that it would've hit me hard when I tasted it. But instead, it was quite smooth. It smelled good, looked great, and tasted great. Definitely a beer I would recommend trying if you can. The bartender recommended this, and I had thought that maybe he was just trying to push this because it was one of their newer products, but I was very very glad that I took his recommendation.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a nice cloudy yellow. Nose is fairly mild- that nice Belgian yeastiness comes through and I also get some subtle spicy and fruity notes. The taste is where this beer really shines. At 9% ABV, I was expecting something complex and interesting but hard to get down. This beer is extremely well-balanced and drinkable. You could tell me I was drinking a 6% abv-er and I'd believe you- it's that smooth. It has almost white wine-like qualities. I get apple, pear, clove, and some breadiness, maybe even tropical fruits. There is almost no bitterness and the alcohol is present only in the nice warming feeling as you get farther into the pint. Nice medium-bodied mouthfeel.

This really is a world class beer. An instant favorite and one I'd seek out again. At 9% ABV, it is complex and hard-hitting but has absolutely zero off-putting qualities. The best tripel I've had.

4.59/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a cloudy yellow with a thick rocky head. About 3 inches of head out of a bomber bottle. Has the classic sweet triple smell to it. Wow that's amazing. It has a very light awesome taste to it. Again it's light. It takes a minute to develop the flavor on your tounge. This is the lightest 9% beer I've ever had. So smooth. Can't taste the alcohol at all. It is fully developed and we'll aged. Just done right beer. Amazing. Leaves lots of lacing down the glass. If you find this, buy this. I found a bomber for 10 bucks. It's worth it.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Overrated, but it is possible that I am just not accustomed to the style of beer. It kind of leaves this filmy, undesirable after taste that I could do without, but otherwise enjoyable. I liked it but probably won't buy it again.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: Absolutely stunning bright hazy yellow color with a two finger fluffy white head

Smell: bready yeast, fruity esters, cloves, slightly peppery; Balanced and complex

Taste: Cloves upfront with candied sweetness and fruity esters midpalate, and a bready yeast finish

Mouthfeel: Medim bodied; Smooth as hell for 9%abv. Crisp and well carbonated

Overall: I am typically not a belgian fan, but between this and trois pistoles, Unibroue has turned me on to them. They are very rich and complex yet clean brews. It must be the yeast strain that i favor. Or perhaps that the sweetness balances very well with the yeast. I will be coming back to them when i want a belgian style beer

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle, purchased at The Brown Derby Lounge at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Best by date: 12/23/17
Nice cloudy light yellow head with a 1 fingers worth of white bubbles.
Aromas of coriander, peach and yeast.
Taste has that nice Tripel funky yeast flavor too.Can't pick up on that 9% abv at all.
An excellent Tripel and was quite a surprise to find it at Hollywood Studios and was sure to head back and pick up a bottle to make the walk around the park more enjoyable! A tasty beer that has that great funky aroma and taste, but a nice crisp finish; makes you want to drink even more.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

A very refreshing beer. Good carbonation. Bright yellow color. Would definitely recommend trying.
Wouldn't be a regular beer for me but definitely once in a while.

Pours golden orange with a medium-thickness white head. The beer looks great in the glass.
Put simply, the beer tastes crisp while having a midly thick feel. You definitely taste the kick from the belgian yeast. It's a classic tripel which means don't expect any hopy aroma.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

An ol' classic finally gets its due from me. Here goes:

A: Cloudy orange-yellow. Has a massive, fluffy white head that leaves a ton of lacing. Plenty of carbonation throughout. Great for a Belgian, bottle-conditioned beer.

S: There are lots of clove, coriander, white pepper, and bread from the yeast. Also lots of lemon, orange, and sugar from the malt and candied sugar. Great.

T: Follows the nose. Lots of spices interspersed with sweet candied sugar and lemon and orange peel.

F: Nice and bready but also sufficiently crisp and well-carbonated.

O: A great Belgian brew. Been a long time coming for this review.

3.74/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Re-reviewed this beer because of the probability that I had an off day in my last review.
Poured a hazy burnt yellow with 2 finger white fizzy head that dissipated quickly to a thin film. Moderate lacing. Nose had a hint of white pepper, banana and orange zest. Very sweet taste without much pronounced malt. No noticeable hop flavor. Fizzy carbonation that I believe is just too much. The beer was somewhat heavy as I noticed in the last review. Like the last time I reviewed this beer, I know this is supposed to be a great beer, but I am having trouble with detecting complexity and likeability. I would prefer a good hefe to this beer. Perhaps I can now conclude that I am just not into tripels.

4.19/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look-Color is a rich amber, pours two fingers of foamy head that retains very well.
Smell-Cloves, coriander, white pepper, Some faint fruitiness in there as well.
Taste-The spices hit first, but are then balanced by bananas and apples.
Feel-Full bodied but not heavy, very creamy on the finish.
Overall-Really excellent, balanced beer.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Pours a golden orange with thin white head, retains well. Smells very much like oranges and lemon zest. Tastes like orange juice with alcohol. It is also bready, phenolic, and yeasty. The feel is chewy and the alcohol bite deters from the flavor a bit. Great brew nonetheless, but not the perfect tripel.

4.26/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle; tulip.

Appearance: hazy golden orange; 2 fingers bright white head fades to a thin ring. Not much lacing.

Aroma: grape, light clove, yeasty, fruity, kiwi, exceptionally complex.

Taste: quite sweet; fruity, red grape; apricot; plums; overripe banana; a regular fruit bowl; clean maltiness mid-palate, delightful finish.

Mouthfeel: slick, more effervescent than it appears. Medium bodied. Clean finish.

Overall: easy to remember why this is one of my all time favorites. Complex, sweet without being cloying, light and easygoing all at once. A Belgian fruit bomb worth seeking out again and again.

4.39/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Best Before 11.17.17. Drank 7.26.15. Poured from a 12oz bottle to a Tulip.

A: This beer can appear two different ways depending on whether you leave out the sediment or not. As for myself, I always swish it up, getting all of that cloudy goodness into the glass. That being said, it pours a deep golden straw with a fast riding three finger head. A wall of visible carbonation along the glass, riding to a slow fading head, leaving only a thick collar. Hold this up to the light and it damn nears glows.

S: Ripe bananas and spicy clove. Sweet malt (almost pear like?) buried by yeast... coriander, pepper. Aroma gets more interesting and complex with every passing minute of warming.

T: Spicy clove, sweet stone fruits, Belgian yeast, lemon bitterness, grassy. Enjoyable alcohol warmth. Improves as it warms, but starts to fall apart as it reaches room temperature... keep it chilled.

M:Medium body, very prickly carbonation, very noticeable alcohol warmth... and as others have said, it is an enjoyable effect.

O: A big bad Belgian that is easy to find, and worthy of whatever you have heard. Unibroue has yet to disappoint, and this beer has long been a staple of mine. If you like complex, yet nuanced beer, this will be right up your alley.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue