La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

I'll keep this one short as I am not the most experienced with the style. First think I notice is the brilliant yellow color of this beer. Immediately following the visual came the incredible aroma. This thing has so much going on in the aroma department its mind blowing. Tons of fruit and spice aromas all over the place.

The taste was just as complex with every sip finding something new about it. The alcohol is in there somewhere but is pretty unnoticable which makes it really drinkable for this big of a beer.

While I am not very experienced with the style, I liked it for what it was, a new experience and an obviously well crafted beer. I can't say I am hooked on the style or this beer but it makes for an interesting tasting experience. I will be trying this again down the road. To rate this beer, I am rating it based on the very little I know and how I enjoyed the experience. The fact that this thing has aroma and flavors all over the place scores hi with me, it is certainly multi-deminsional.

tattooedtolley, Sep 14, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -9%

750ml bottle, best before 2-21-08, poured into a Duvel glass

Gorgeous cloudy golden color, frothy white head leaves some lace, disspiates leaving about 1/3 inch.

Fresh, herbal, grassy aroma, coriander.

Wow, the active fine carbonation creates a fantastically creamy mouthfeel. Utterly addictive, I want to keep drinking more and more...

So crisp and fresh on first tatse, wondeful sweetness spreads across the tongue but balanced perfectly by bracing tanginess...mild hoppy bitterness in the long long finish...but never an overwhelming IPA hophead-type bitterness, an invigorating beautiful interplay of bitter, sweet, refreshing...the 9% alcohol is almost impossible to believe let alone detect...you want to keep drinking and drinking this until...the end of the world!!!

Easily one of the best beers I have had. WHY don't I have more in my fridge right now!

edit 10/17/08: Very interesting to try this after much more beer tasting experience. Still a great beer, but have tasted many better sunce I wrote the review. The flaw here is that the brew is too sweet. I have adjusted my ratings today.

kenito799, Sep 13, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

Maybe the best beer I've had so far since discovering craft beers. Smells like banana, cloves, and some apricot, but this is definetly the most complex beer I've tasted. I first tasted pineapple.. apricots.. bubblegum.. sour apples.. then the medium hop-y bitterness hit me. I didn't taste any alcohol until I was almost finished with the bottle. Drinkability is high - I seriously could go for another one, but I'll be passed out on the floor mid-way through. The alcohol is very well-hidden.

diamondc, Sep 11, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours hazy yellow with a fizzy white head. Aroma is yeasty and reminds me a citrus fruits, maybe pineapple? Yeasty flavors, tartness are present and alcohol isn't as apparent as I would expect, but its there along with hop biterness. The mouthfeel is fizzy and somewhat thin. This is pretty easy to drink considering the alcohol content.

Dizzy, Sep 11, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -18.3%

The color is golden with some rust tones near the head, which is a egg shell white. Aggressive head continual effervescence and doesn't seem to want to leave. No lacing thus far, but we'll see by the end. The smell is of pils malt, alcohol cloves, and spices with some citrus notes. Its smooth and tart in just the right places. This is a well balanced beer. How ever when it comes down to it I normally grab Duvel over this, but it is still an excellent.. repeat excellent beer.
p.s i did this about a year ago and now I know how horriable corriander is if you use it in every damn beer you brew.

mmcave, Sep 08, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance is a cloudy golden color with a two finger frothy white head. The head goes down some but lasts throughout. Nice lacing on the glass. The smell is sweet and of citrus. The taste is peppery and of yeast. Citrus, especially pineapple, is evident. I had this right out of the fridge and it got smoother as it warmed. Alcohol can be sensed but its not overpowering. Mouthfeel is carbonated but pleasant. Drinkability is very good, especially for a 9.0% ABV. LFDM may be too sweet for some but I found it very well balanced. Overall, this is a very enjoyable beer that I will have again.

uconnalum2, Sep 07, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Nice pale color, huge meringue head that lasts the entire glass.

Smell is spicey, fruity, clove, grapefruit, just a huge, complex aroma.

Flavor is yeasty, flavors found in the aroma, just phenomenal flavor.

Mouthfeel is light and dry. Highly carbed.

Highly drinkable, I could drink this all night long.

BlackAngus, Sep 07, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -7.9%

The pour into a shaker raises a one inch plus head, off white , very solid, but becomes rocky over time. Recedes to a still very thick layer that lasts the whole glass. The body is hazy yellow translucent. The nose is yeasty, sweet, a bit peppery, slightly hoppy. The taste echoes the smell, with a focus on pepper and yeast characteristics. The mouth is medium, but the carbonation is a tad too high for me. The yeast adds more fun to the drink when poured in. A tasty brew, and quite good with vodka sauce.

mjc410, Sep 05, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

L.F.D.M. pours a moderately cloudy light honey color with a generous, frothy, and slightly chunky head that settles into a creamy-foamy slick. Vivacious carbonation ascends from all sectors of the glass. Luxurious nose of honeyed grapefruit and banana with essences of clove, allspice, and a hint of coriander wrapped around the fresh yeast. An element of lime rind and citric acids adds brightness to the mouthfeel. A very nice brew, reminiscent of Brewery Ommegang’s Hennipen.

barknee, Sep 01, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours with plenty of foamy white head forming a fluffy, domed cap in the glass. Hazy and cloudy with loads of yeast floating around. Beautiful yellow and straw colored body with plenty of orange. Very appealing. The head lasts on well in to the drink leaving a nice lacing pattern on my goblet.

Wonderfully smooth on the nose. Strong vanilla and banana. Spiced with coriander and candied ginger. Underlying floral tones of iris and tulips. Some very light cinammon is also noticeable. Finishes with some barely noticeable alcohol and another full vanilla rush.

The first sip reveals a bevy of yeast flavors. Vanilla, banana, oak, roasted peanuts and plantains. Slightly sweet malt presence with what tastes like some high-grade wheat malts. Some noticeable alcohol in the back of the mouth. Long finish loaded with spicy coriander, cloves and oak with a kick of alcohol. One of the best non-Belgian beers crafted in a Belgian style.

Mouthfeel is wonderful. Balanced and supremely creamy with enough alcohol to remind me of it's presence.

Drinkability is also wonderful. This brew is incredibly tasty and enjoyable to drink. It would be easy to drink too many of these.

Budlum, Aug 31, 2006
4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

Orange-gold, a finger of white frothy head that doesn't totally stay but keeps coming up in the center of the goblet to retain a thin layer. An occasional small pour from the bottle brings it back up nicely.

Smells of orange juice, red apples, sugar cookies, spice, herbs, earth. Appetizing.

Taste matches smell, along with rock sugar, orange peel, sweet white bread. Delicious, and drinkable. Finishes with orangey freshness and alcohol.

Mouthfeel is creamy, with a bit of nice oiliness, but can get too fizzy.

This Quebecoise is fantastique. I wish I had a bowl of poutine to go with it!

Beerzebub, Aug 29, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: This beer is almost an applejuice color, but brighter. The bright white head exploded upward towards the brim of my glass, making me have to pace the final bit of liquid. There isn't much laceing to speak of. There are however, lots of beading floating vigoriously to the top,not giveing the little bit of dregs I eased in there to settle.

Smell: The aroma is very fruity, such as a strong apricot scent as well as sweet red apples. A vague hop and malt profile is noticed, but the fresh bread scent is overpowering any chance the two had.

Taste: Apricots galore. Citrusy oranges blended nicely with the sweet red apples makes for a smooth tasteing fruity drink. Most Belgian ales I find have a certain typical yeast aroma and taste about them, but this one does not seem to have this. Instead the bread notes are sweeter and less upfront. In the finish, you cannot hide the 9% alcohol that hits you, but it is balanced very well with all the fruity esters and bread notes.

Mouthfeel: Smooth drinking, almost grainy yet at the same time its almost slick. High carbonation with a meduim body. This beer has an alcoholic bubblely finish.

Drinkability: When you go to the store to purchase beer,there is always a bunch you have had but may have forgotten how good they really are. This is one of mine, with that being said, I vow to put this beer in my monthly rotation, and suggest you do the same. If you have not had this one, you dont know what you are missing. Thumbs up Unibroue!!

Cheers2Beers

cheers2beers, Aug 25, 2006
4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a rusty godlen color with a creamy 1.5" head, leaving some slight lacing. A mild bouquet of clove, floral yeast, and a touch of citrus. The flavor is a delicious mellow malt mixed with clove and citrus. The mouth feel is incredible, so complex; it dances all over the palate, going from malty to sweet and spicy, then finishes almost buttery, with barely a trace of alcohol.

I have had this beer before, but mixed with many others, and it didn't really take me by storm. This time, concentrating on it alone, it was a delight. I defintely see more in my future--until the world ends, anyway, which could be any day now. But this is great beer to drink while everything is crumbling around you.

Osiris9588, Aug 25, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -16.7%

I've always been meaning to buy a beer from this company I just never got around to it, but now I have.

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with loads of carbonation and yeast present in the body of it. The is a rocky white head that sits a top it that disipated at a decent rate to create a film arcoss the top leaving spotty lacing. For a Belgian style I wants to see the head stay up longer then it did.

The smell and taste are loaded with fruity sweet malts giving it a slightly apple like taste. Big yeasty aroma and taste is very present. Also in both there was a very present fusal alcohol presence. The only difference really in the smell and taste is that the taste had a slightly spicey hops taste that was present.

The beer was a medium body that left a nice warming feeling in the mouth from the high alcohol. It was a wonderful brew that must be taken with respect and sipped throughout the night.

cproioi, Aug 24, 2006

I found this brew (suprise, surprise!) at the local neighborhood HEB supermarket. It was not surprise that when I went back they had sold out. Duvel and Chimay drinkers take note, there is a new kid on the block and his Reggie...whoops wrong review...

The bottle is striking and the Quebec nationalism hits you in the face like a handfull of yeast sediment. If your french is rusty, the name translates to "End of the Earth". This could be interpreted a number of ways; Quebec is literally at the end of the Earth or you'd have to go to the End of the Earth to find a better beer. I think the latter is appropriate. I liked the beer so much I wasted no time in cloning it. That of course requried that I buy several more bottles to harvest the yeast. (Word of note to homebrewers, the yeast is very agressive so have plenty of space in your carboy or you will have a problem. I dry hopped mine with a bit more orange peel than called for and it clogged my blow off tube and I got a call from home (Houston, we have a problem...) it seems the stopper, blow off tube and several ounces of peel and yeast were blown onto the ceiling and surrounding real estate. However the beer was splendid, although with no candy sugar it was minus the tremendous head. Now on to the beer.

This beer was splendid. From the huge rocky shaving cream head, to the wonderful orangey, estery aroma it shouted drink me. (Caution, do not mow the yard in the Houston heat, then gulp one of these 22oz babies down or you will have a hangover in short order.) The ale bursts in your mouth like a fruity explosion, only dampened by the mild alcohol warmth as it slides down your gullet like a soothing balm. You just can't stop. 22ozs disappears in no time. Buy the big one for yourself and a 6 pack of 12 ozers because you will not want to share the large bottle with anyone. The mouth feel was wonderful and even with it's prodigious alcohol content, you'll down this brew greedily like an overpass dwelling wino. Unibue have outdone themselves.
Warning: If you haven't tried Belgian Style Ales and do not want to pay the high price demanded for them ($8.00), Do not try this beer as it is highly addictive!

KeithPatton, Aug 21, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I first tried this on tap in Quebec City, and literally thought my world might end.

Appearance: Pours 1 inch head, settles into medium suds. Cloudy golden-orange color, which is almost luminescent under light. Low viscosity.

Aroma: Banana, honey, yeast, with some orange notes and nice bready undertones. Golden raisins and candy sugar in the development, with some lemongrass and ginger from the hops. The most impressive aspect of the nose was that you could smell it loud and clear from across the room upon opening the bottle.

Taste: Yummy sweet raisins, oranges, and malts. Booze and mild pine/ginger in the background. Strawberry and apricot developments. Bready yeasty finish with just a little pepper. Nice grassy bristle on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, with low constant carbonation. Sweet malty finish.

Drinkability: Fantastic - dangerously easy to drink, though the sweetness definitely caught up with me by the end of a glass. Slightly abrasive grassiness and mild but dry finish certainly kept this pleasant.

expatsteve, Aug 19, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours a very hazy orange with a one finger head that settles very quickly to a thin spotty cap leaving behind almost no lace.

Smell; lots of coriander and citric lemon, with a bunch of spices and yeast. There's a bit of a bready dough quality, in there as well.

Taste; very fruity with oranges and lemons, and there's some other fruits that I can't quite place. The spices and sweetness are almost to overwhelming for me. Some alcohol makes it's presence felt in the aftertaste pretty strongly. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, and with the sweetness and abundance of spices this is a bit hard for me to drink.

RedHaze, Aug 19, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Pours a light opaque peach, some sediment with a bubbly white head which quickly dissipates leaving a slight ring and some nice lacing as well.

S: Strong fruity yeast and a nicely masked alcohol sting. Heavily spiced but nothing stands out. Citrusy orange, lemon and honey. Musky malt base.

T: Sweet yeasty front with a citrusy back bite and some nice bittering hops. Alcohol is masked superbly. Spices are heavy but again nothing stands out. Finishes with a spicy pepper bite, yet not the taste of pepper alone.

M: Sweetness and bitter combat playfully, nice carbonation with a bitter hop aftertaste.

D: The alcohol in this is masked so well making this a highly drinkable belgian, but the spices would hold me to just one. An excellent beer.

ellisdee97, Aug 17, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

I was wondering if I should another review, but what the heck, here I go.

Appearance: Cloudy Yellow, lots of carbonation, Nice thick creamy head

Smell: Yeast, fruit, malt

Taste: Wow! Lots of flavor. Orange, Cherry, yeast, grain, spicy.

Mouthfeel: Nice body. Smooth

Drinkability: Yes, I will get more. Great stuff.

Overall: I was wondering what all the fuss was over Unibroue....now I know!

gestyr, Aug 16, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

A: Golden orange with a huge 2 inch head that went down after some time.

S: Yeasty, spicy, hints of orange and lemon. Smells pretty good.

T: Yeast, orange peel, spices, tastes great on a hot day. Lots of carbonation.

M: Smoth, carbonated, right on par for what it should be.

D: This is great for a hot summer day I would imagine, quite refreshing and tasty.

Iguana, Aug 16, 2006
4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured a bright, cloudy, golden yellow with a good-sized, white head. Lot's of retention and visible carbonation

Aroma is citrus, spice, champagne and the light floral/fruity notes indicative of the style.

Wow! There is a lot going on with the taste! Sweet cherry, vanilla, raisin, caramel, citrus rind, ginger, honey and clove. This is a surprisingly complex beer. The alcohol is noticeable and warming, lending to a balancing tartness. Given the high alcohol content, it is not overpowering at all. The finish has an extremely subtle dry characteristic.

All of this flavor in a light/medium bodied beer. The high carbonation lends to an excellent mouthfeel. Addictively drinkable.

A surprising, highly drinkable treat and a wonderful example of the style. A stark testimonial to the quality of Unibroue

Estarrio, Aug 16, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

Uncapped the 12 oz bottle, and it immediately started foaming out violently. I didn't shake the beer to my knowledge, but regardless it foamed strongly for probably 45 seconds before it calmed down. The whole time I was smelling the beer and and was very impressed.

Poured from 12 oz bottle into glass tulip goblet.

Appearance - Hazy straw-orange color. There is a moderate amount of debris in the beer. The head is very large and slightly tan, and "chunky" (consisting of big bubbles). The head eventually calms down and settles at about a half-finger silky off-white head.

Smell - Wow! This thing is heaven for the nose. It is very sweet smelling with a light alcohol burn accompanying it. The smell consists of dark fruits and a very nice bready malt aroma in the background of the scent. Also there are floral, citrus, and spice notes.

Taste - Again, incredible. Surprisingly, the first thing I taste is the bready flavored malt, which is very rich and soothing. Coming second is a quite present alcohol burn, but definitely not overpowering. Also, you begin to taste the sweet dark fruits as with the smell. The hops are present, but aren't nearly on the level of the sweet, fruity, spiciness of the rest of it. Also, there are definitely hints of nutmeg and a slight flavor of cinnamon. A very slight taste of pear also comes into the aftertaste. The taste of this brew is amazing. The flavors are so rich and complex. Just supberb!

Mouthfeel - The beer has a velvety medium-bodied mouth feel. It is very smooth and rolls around in your mouth so gently and nicely, that it's pleasure for the "touch" sense as well as the "taste" sense of your mouth. The carbonation is right on the money, couldn't be any better.

Drinkability - This stuff is potent, make no mistake, but goodness gracious is it excellent. This is probably in my top three brews of all. Anyway, the drinkability is very good if you can handle the style alright.

Overall...wow! I just can't get over the quality of this beer. You MUST try this beer if you like strong Belgian style ales. Just amazing.

dblinkhorn, Aug 12, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

Sheeze, when do the bubbles stop here? I can't even pour it out of the bottle yet!
Pours out like a bubbly ice tea. A slight tint of orange and the foam is white and very huge. Not a lack of carbonation here.
Clove and cinammon and fruit hit the nose first. The yeast and hops are hidden way in the back.
Fruity flavor with a dirty aftertaste. Can't taste the alcohol but can feel it. The dirty aftertaste is throwing me. No bitter hops here.
Mouthfeel is not what I expected but it starts out clean and finishes clean. The dirty taste in the middle is unwanted.
Strong to say the least. Nice mixture of lots of flavors though.

peabody, Aug 12, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

12 oz bottle 1/4 of the 4 pack

Hisss as the bottle is popped.
Appears very bubbly and active, Massive thick foamy head, 3" thick dissipates slowly. Color is a pale/straw Gold.

Smells peppery and herbal, big fruity yeasty with sweet malt and lemmon.

Taste includes: spicey and herbal, wheaty, great fruitiness with red berries and grapes yeast with a fine sweet malt to finish.

Bubbly!, champagne-like. Crisp with a good bite, light body makes this feel very light on the palate but very gentle and smooth going down.

Feels really good so it's easy to drink but the 9%ABV is going to limit the intake to a certain degree. high quality stuff.

GratefulBeerGuy, Aug 10, 2006

This beer reminds me how one's palate can change. The first time I had this one I absolutely hated it. I was used to english and german style sessionable brews, and this tasted like gasoline to me at the time. Now- a much different story.

La Fin Du Monde pours a light amber with a pure white head. Lots of small bubbles rise from the glass. The smell is of candy sugar and some fruit flavors.

The taste brings candy sugar, exotic fruits, and a hint of alcohol heat. There are a lot of layers to this beer that changes as it warms. Peppery flavors swirl throughout along with some spice.

A regular in my beer fridge, and another reason Unibroue is such an incredible brewery.

gotbeer, Aug 10, 2006