La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 9,170 | Reviews: 2,861
4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

With R.E.M’s It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine) blaring in my own private stereo, aka my brain, I approach the beer titan that is La Fin Du Monde, a brew with a reputation so mighty that a bottle of this in Australia retails for an eye-watering arm-and-a-leg $11.50 for a single 355ml bottle, when you know that it sells for at least 50% less than that in Quebec. Anyway, the life of an arm-chair jet-setting beer blogger is a pricey one... nonetheless I have it and I’m gonna review it, and there’s nothing I can do to quell the mounting hype inside my head.

Poured from a 355ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Hazed pale gold body with a boisterous 2 cm fluffy white head that settles to a thin lace on top. Not bad La Fin Du Monde, or shall we simply call you ‘La Fin’ (laughing) for the rest of the review? Yes? Good. 8/10.

S: Aroma is more Witbier than Tripel with notes of coriander, candi sugar, clove and orange peel, not that I’m complaining, I love a good sharp Wit (I’m thinking of brewing a Witbier and calling it “Shakespeare’s Wit”, too much?). Hints of tartness lurk in the background and give the impression of a nice complex flavour profile. 8/10.

T: The Wit characters give way to that classic Tripel sugar rush, as the pumping beat of Röyksopp’s Compulsion (playing on my actual stereo) drives that glucose-induced high into my bloodstream. It’s not a massive sugar-bomb though, there is a certain restraint to the sugar hit not oft seen even from Belgian brewers. Rounding out the sugar are those coriander/clove notes, pepper, some orange peel, and a mild citric bitterness. Finish is a balance between pepper spice and bitterness, très bien. 9/10.

M: Medium bodied, a tad lighter than expected from 9% ABV but decent enough, with a medium sharp carbonation. 8/10.

D: So the question on everyone’s lips RE: La Fin, are we laughing now? i.e. does La Fin live up to the “World Class” hype? Yes and no, it’s a great brew, no doubt about that, but for the price Belgian brews such as Tripel Karmeliet trump La Fin completely, that is to say - there isn’t enough happening in La Fin to make it that much more worth it compared to TK. If the price were to drop down to TK’s Australian retail price of $6.90 then we would have a competition on our hands. As it is I’m glad I had the chance to try this brew, and I’ll stick to TK for my Tripel fix for now. 9/10.

Food match: Poached Loin of Lamb with Jerusalem Artichoke Puree or Poutine.

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - 4.5/5
A beautiful hazy golden orange, with loads and loads of off-white foam.

Smell - 4/5
Belgian yeastiness and spices, as typical in a tripel. Perhaps a hint of banana.

Taste - 4.5/5
Yeasty and spicy, tastes thoroughly belgian. Some fruitiness. Only slight to moderate sweetness. Delicious take on the belgian tripel style.

Mouthfeel - 4.5/5
Moderate amount of high-intensity carbonation. I love the prickly sensation as the beer moves through my mouth and down my throat. Very crisp. Medium-full body.

Overall - 4.25/5
This was a pretty great beer. Don't know if I can recommend it enough.

4.88/5  rDev +13%

One of the best Blonde ales out there, eh

3.19/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

My taste buds don't agree with most. Decent beer, but not high on my list.

Nothing like it, have to give it max rating.

Probably the best trippel I've ever had.

3.67/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Not my cup of tea. Poor finish.

4.31/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A tripel that anyone can drink easily.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Smooth feel, nice blend with carbonation. Some banana flavor, lingers a while. Very nice.

4.82/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Fantastic Belgian style beer that really tastes like the classic Belgians. Reminded me of a smoother version of Gulden Draak. Some fruit flavors. Bold with some interesting spicing but very drinkable almost TOO drinkable, this stuff would be dangerous on tap. Love love loved it.

3.98/5  rDev -7.9%

BBD 10/1/17. Pours a hazy gold with a touch of amber. World class head volume and retention, outstanding lacing.

Classic tripel nose with a bit of clove and subtle sweet fruit notes.

Medium body with a bit of creaminess. Nicely carbonated with a bit of effervescence in the middle and a nice prickly rush in the finish.

The flavor profile is intense, somewhat complex and somewhat balanced. It begins with some fruit flavors that are quickly overcome by phenolic clove. Phenolic clove dominates from almost the start. The middle brings a bit of malt sweetness but never achieves balance. The somewhat dry finish has a medicinal clove characteristic that lingers. Alcohol also shows a bit of astringency as an aftertaste as it warms.

4.84/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Wonderfully fresh and easy to drink

Look - fantastic white head that sticks around, golden and rich cloudy color

Smell - Flowery, citrus, grapefruity, very refreshing

Taste - reminds me of a pinot grigio, grapefruity, crisp flavor that goes down well

Feel - An unpretentious bite from the carbonation gives way to a smooth cool aftertaste.

4.07/5  rDev -5.8%

Nice taste. A little sweet but nice.

3.63/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Straw in color. The nose is mildly funky. The flavor is even more funky and accompanied by a perfumey essence, as well.

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L- Golden Orangeish color, some head that fades to nothing
S- banana maybe, orange
T/F- fruity taste that leads to malts, light body
O- Not to flavorful but they are present throughout, was an alright beer, may consider again but not in the near future

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I didn't have a best by date on this bottle so I not sure how old the ale was when I bought it. Smelled of fresh bread when opened and it had nice carbonation but little or no head. Excellent flavor of bread and yeast and a nice amount of carbonation on my palate. I would like to try it again to see if the offering varies.

3.1/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Justifying...Justifying...Justifying...Justifying...Justifying...Sour

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Funny thing about this beer is the more I drank it, the less I liked it. Left a bitter aftertaste. I'll stick to Maudite.

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Not my favorite style but I can appreciate the craftsmanship and execution behind this one.

4.21/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Ra Sushi Orlando 5/19/15

Like triples but don't love them but this is very good. Well put together where the spice level is perfect. Very drinkable but a bit carbonated. Not my favorite style but I can appreciate this beer.

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Outstanding Belgian ale. One of my favorites

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

Possibly my favorite of the style. Good to share&pair with a rack of lamb through a nice dinner. You'll get in trouble sipping this on a Sunday afternoon since the high ABV is masked so well. Simply one of the best Belgian ales with tons of fruits and spices. A must try!

4.26/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip beer glass a hazy tangerine-golden color. I poured it quickly into the glass and a large lacy head was created, but the big lacy head dissipated quickly. The effervescence though was strong and throughout the drink there was a stream of bubbles rising to the top. The aroma is very gentle. It has a gentle clover fragrance. It is like setting out a blanket in a park in a field of clover, but you have to stretch your head beyond the blanket to smell the fragrance of the clover flower. The beer has a slight pear and small orangy tinge of taste. The end of the taste though with each sip is spicy, but balanced to the touch. This is an excellent Belgium Tripel and reminds me a great deal of Delirium Tremens, which is saying a lot and says how good this beer is. This Quebec, near Montreal brewery, does it right. Enjoy this quality Belgium Tripel category beer.

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

Hell yeah! My absolute favorite beer! High gravity at its best. I hate IPA'sand everybeer that is super hoppy. This is thebest beer EVER!

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

As close to perfection as it gets

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue