La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served in a snifter, the beer pours a cloudy golden/orange color with about an inch white head. The aroma isn't strong at all, but what I can smell is nice. Mostly there's just an overall fruity and sweet smell, along with some cloves, honey, pear and yeast. Luckily the taste is stronger, it tastes like fruit, cloves, pepper and honey. Mouthfeel is medium with a lot of carbonation, a little too much, but not enough that it takes away from the beer. The drinkability is still pretty good, it goes down easy and the alcohol isn't noticable at all. I think this is a pretty decent beer. The aroma wasn't strong, but the taste and overall drinkability made up for it. Recommended.

bluejacket74, Sep 09, 2007
3.03/5  rDev -29.9%

poured from a 750 ml bottle into a goblet,very hazy cloudy piss yellow that never did clear up,beautiful 2+finger head that stays put well and nice lacing.Really smell the spices in this one and yeast and faint fruityness to it.You can taste pears and bananas with a sweetness with a kinda sparkling fizzle to it.Goes down quite well with a heavinesss to it and you can feel the carbonation,no doubt about it.I tell you though...the alcohol in this one hits you quite rapidly,i get a decent beer buzz rather quickly due to the high alcohol content.Not a bad beer if you like this style but for me...not really my type,and i got 2 more 750 ml bottles to polish off still....oh well,it won't go to waste,i'll find some strong cheese and Bratwurst sausages to offset the taste and polish them off,watching a good NFL game....no probs.

GrimmReaper, Sep 08, 2007
4.28/5  rDev -0.9%

The clear light golden / dark straw hued brew is topped by a creamy, impressively thick head w/ stiff peaks of foam. Signature lace is left down the glass. Fruit esters comprised of tart lemon flesh and rind, coupled w/ cidery light candi / beet sugar sweetness and raw honey lend an enticing aroma to this brew. Phenolic clove and mustiness are subdued, but add complexity aromawise. Prickly carbonation and cidery sweetness sharply hit the palate upfront, but quickly yield to yeasty, unbaked dough notes and clove more prominent in flavor than the aroma would suggest. Well attenuated and fairly dry, but since hop bitterness is mild, the overall flavor is slightly skewed towards malt sweetness. Lightly bodied due to the sugar used in the grist w/ a crisp, yet smooth mouthfeel that lends deceptively agreeable drinkability. Finishes dry w/ honey sweetness, lightly peppery alcohol and clove abruptly ending simultaneously. Fin Du Monde epitomizes the style and is delicious... the drinkability is superlative considering its strength.

Maracuja, Sep 03, 2007
4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

750 ml, corked and caged bottle from Hollymain Liquor

Poured into a chilled pint glass

Nice belgian ale with minimal hoppiness from Canada

Nice fruity aroma with a hint of ground cinamon as well

People I shared this with enjoyed it more than I did, but I still thought it was an above average beer

Floydster, Sep 03, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - 4.0
Poured three fingers of tight, foamy, white head, which reduced steadily. The colour is a very deep gold, slightly hazy, with a few champagne like bubbles rising in the middle. Possibly the prettiest beer I have ever seen.

Smell - 4.5
Not overly powerful, but still wonderful. The alcohol is clearly there, amongst the sweet smells of malt, honey, stone fruit, cloves and spices. Not unlike a strong hefe weissbier in aroma, and not far from scoring a perfect 5 in this category.

Taste - 4.5
Again, the alcohol is immediately making a presence, and makes up a little more of the taste than I would like. The taste is nowhere near as sweet as the smell, which is a bit of a disappointment. The alcohol is immediately warming, which is nice. There is biscuity malt sweetness and a whisper of fruitiness (pear). The finish is dry and moderately bitter, and the aftertaste is pleasant.

Mouthfeel - 4.5
Really quite champagne-like, it feels light in the mouth, with a relatively high level of carbonation. Smooth.

Drinkability - 4.5
This definitely gets easier to drink as it warms. There are much more drinkable Belgian strong pale ales out there in my opinion, as this one's dryness and bitterness reduce the appeal.

OVERALL - 4.5
This is undoubtedly an excellent beer, although it is not quite to my taste. The warming sensation from drinking it is wonderful, so for that, I may one day try it again. Personally, I find other offerings from Unibroue to be a bit easier drinking, although perhaps not as complex. Price is very high, but the quality is excellent, so no quarrels about the value.

Edit: upon second sampling, I bumped the score up from 4.2 to 4.35. First time round I most definitely drank the beer too cold.

Re-edit: My opinion of this beer just keeps improving. I disagree with a lot of what I have originally written about it.

LittleCreature, Sep 02, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +3%

Into a St Bernardus chalice, pours a beautiful golden color merging on orange, hazy with a nice fizzy, fluffy, bubbly white head, lasts for about a minute, receding to a thin film, lacing brought to a wall of bubbly foam that falls equally thick upon a gentle swirl, occasionally globules sticking here or there.

The aroma is full, citrus and fruit in apple and oranges, spices of pepper and maybe some clove.

The taste is even better than I remember, the mouth full and tingling. Citrus abounds, apples and pears mingle, white pepper and clove and a delicious yeast, the mouth drying as it finishes but leaving the mouth tingling, yearning, not quite salivating for more, but wanting to.

In sum, this is a delicious beer. In fact, I just finished refinishing a wood floor, I'm tired as hell, really I just wanted a heavy night cap to put me asleep, but this thing is so tasty, and the qualities so evident, it just makes me smile.

objectivemonkey, Aug 28, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a hazy strawlike yellow with a pillowy head that dies to a nice lace. Smells of sweet fruit, yeast, clove, and tea. Tastes of spicy clove, malt, pear, tea. Feel full in the mouth with a lively tickle on the tongue from carbonation. Finishes a little dry with a touch of alcohol and a big warming effect. This is a sipper for sure and a delight to drink.

franksnbeans, Aug 26, 2007

A: Cloudy yellow, 2 finger head, moderate lacing

S: very fruity, possibly apricot, touch of spice

T: Upfront sweetness, cinnamon, low hoppiness, alchohol slowly gains warmth, snappy dry finish

M: moderate body, suprisingly smooth

D: way more drinkable then most beers with this level of ABV, spicyness jabs enough to make me want this in colder weather.

I love Unibroue, period. All their offerings are unique and interesting. It opens my mind to whats possible! I do like some of the others better then this one, the spicyness kind of turns me off but otherwise its great.

Taipans, Aug 26, 2007
4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

Eye:
Note: I have never gotten a good head or retention on the beers that I have poured into this Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale Snifter; however now that I've poured it this doesn't seem to be a problem.

The brew has excellent head formation and retention. Just as good, if not better than Duvel. The head is big, pillowy, fluffy, white and rocky. There is a bit of lacing as the over-sized head from the pour recedes to a more suitable size. Color is a somewhat hazy straw yellow, or lemon square yellow if you prefer.

Nose: Sweet candi aroma here. A bit of spice from the hops perhaps, but not much else, very clean. Maybe some banana and clove esters as well. Not very potent. Alcohol is well hidden. For me hard to describe because the aroma isn't as potent as I would like.

Tongue: Oh my! What a great tasting brew. It is sweet with a very candied type of flavor. To balance out this sweetness there is a very pleasant and lingering spicy character...weather from hops, yeast phenols, or actual spices it provides the great service of balancing this brew...amazing.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: In the mouth the brew is of a lighter body, with lower levels of carbonation than I would expect for the style. The beer finishes fairly spicy and a bit dry, but not too dry. This is a beer that I'd drink just about any time, not sure if I prefer it over Duvel-sure they're not the same, but they do have similarities-but in my book it is definitely the same quality. I see the two as interchangeable.

becktone, Aug 20, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Great beer! I tried this at a beef fest about six months ago and really liked it. I saw this on the menu last night and couldn't wait to try it in a much larger quantity. It didn't disappoint. Very nice pour with a perfect smell for a belgian pale. Tastes delicious and was smooth the whole way down...

BDIMike, Aug 19, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -22.9%

750 ml bottle into a Chimay goblet

A: 1/2" white head that fell to a cloud in the middle. Slightly hazy golden body that didn't look terribly appetizing.

S: Spices, yeast, and some light fruits. Alcohol appeared a bit as it warmed.

T: A big hit from the spices - clove, pepper - maybe coriander too. And the yeast. Fruit was present too, but the spice overwhelmed most everything else.

M: Medium body that was a bit over carbonated - almost fizzy at first, but then settled down. Dry finish w/ the spice & yeast present in a lasting aftertaste.

D: The alcohol was hidden well, but it's still a sipper thanks to the spice & mediocre flavor.

Not a bad brew, just ok - and quite overrated IMO.

OKCNittany, Aug 14, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance- Nice clear golden color with big, fluffy white head.

Smell- Nice sweet smell with cloves.

Taste- Fruit tastes with cloves.

Mouthfeel- High carbonation, medium body.

Drinkability- This beer is fantastic. Just when you think Canada has nothing but hockey, Strange Brew and Rush you find this!

Beerbuddha, Aug 12, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

750mL bottle poured into a tulip glass

A: Pours a super bubbly cloudy and hazy golden straw with a pock marked and continualy active pure white head. I can see the carbonation from the yeast forming little pockets of bubbles all along the side of my glass and the head retention lasts almost the entire glass, not as much beautiful lacing as I was hoping for so it misses out on the five.

S: Super yeasty which gives off a sweet bananna and sugary scent that I find okay but is not my all time favorite.

T/MF: My first glass was served a bit colder than it should have been and maybe for that reason was more bubbles than taste. My mouth filled up with gasses from the carbonation so I couldn't taste the beer at first, but then on my second glass, after the beer warmed up a bit the gas subsided enough for me to get the full flavor of the beer which I have to say is quite good. Fruits are all over the place in this beer, shining through a super sweet yeast taste. Pears and orange and apple are there amonst the sweet yeast and malt characters that make this one quite quaffable.

D: Could drink this one all night if I didn't have pure abbey style ales around me. But great and tasty reproduction of the Beglain style. Yum.

bluemoonswoon, Aug 11, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

Ordered at a local pub with pizza, presented in the bottle - pint glass on the side.

I poured it into the glass, raising just a thin lacy head which dissipated almost instantly. It was hazy and the color of golden wheat. Yeast was visibly floating in the glass.

The nose was sweet - honey and florals, with sharp spices and a little grassy.

The taste was layered: sweet first, tingly on the tongue, then the spices and florals hit with a hint of ginger and what I call a "Belgian Funk," the finish is slightly dry with a snap of hops which brings you into a pleasant after taste.

I'm giving an average drinkability because while the alcohol doesn't affect the taste at all, the beer is too tangy to give it a high drinkability rating, though it is still a great beer.

Blupoet03, Aug 10, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -7.9%

$5.00 / 750ML Bottle
County Market Grocery Store
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Appearance - A haze of golden yellow to a pale orange with a lasting frothy white head. The head starts out with about 3 inches and slowly tapers back to about a 1/2 inch where it is well maintained. Very much carbonated as a constant flow of tiny bubbles speed to the top if the beer from the side and bottom of the pint glass.

Smell - There's a soapy aroma to this brew I find quite difficult to get past.

Taste - Sweet plum taste but not overwhelming. This is a tasty beer with a malty start and solid finish. The 9% alcohol content is not easily noticed because the flavor is established so well.

Mouthfeel - Even with the obviously strong carbonation seen in the pint, this brew is very smooth to the mouth. It goes down easy and even has a silky afterfeel. There's a tiny little punch in the top back of my mouth when first taking the sip. I think that may be the alcohol content.

~ This is a very good beer. There is really something to be said for the 'head' offered by different brewing styles. This is a light almost out of body feel that makes me very pleased that I have another full pint glass of frothy goodness waiting for me in the oversized bottle. Don't pass this one by because before you know it, it's La Fin Du Monde (The End Of The World.)

cdkrenz, Aug 05, 2007

12oz bottle in pint glass

A: Huge head, even with a gentle pour I ended up with a 4 inch head and had to wait for it to settle a bit. Clear gold color, head is very white and thick. Surprisingly, there was no hint of lace after the huge head.

S: Has all of the "sweetness" of a belgian ale with slight hints of "spices"

T: Very little sign of the alcohol, this could be dangerous. Mostly cloves (maybe ginger) with some banana in the background.

M: Highly carbed, feels tingly on the tongue. Light but seems to linger if that makes any sense.

D: Very drinkable, goes down too easy. It is not heavy or filling at all, this could be a session beer if you had nowhere to go :) Highly recommended

wspscott, Aug 04, 2007
4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

La Fin Du Monde....The End of the World

A: Cloudy yellow in color with a medium head that fades down to a ring around the edge with a pad on top.

S: Lots of aroma here. Tons of malty yeasty sweetness, with bubble gum, clove, banana and tart apples leading the way.

T: Very easy drinking brew for the ABV. Starts off with the nice yeasty sweetness that was apparent in the aroma. I taste candy sugar, lemon rind, and it finishes with the tartness of fresh green Granny Smith Apples.

M: Medium bodied, yet light. Very smooth drinking beer.

D: Goes down rather smooth, I picked up the little bottle this go around but could and have put down the 750 ml rather easily.

Overall: La Fin Du Monde translates in English to "The End of the World” this beer is not the end all be all of beer, but if I happened to be drinking it on my judgment day I would be a happy man.

Every country has their brewers who try to recreate Belgium's best and Unibroue does it consistently brew after brew....Canada should be proud. Along with Maudite these two beers are perfect examples, yet different than the best that Belgium has to offer. I have had several dozen bottles of this beer and every time it leaves me all warm and fuzzy, especially those 750 ml. It is relatively cheap, and ohh soo good... eh? God love Canada for this one.

tpd975, Jul 31, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

I'm not sure if anyone could put this next to an authentic Belgian Tripel and tell the difference.
It smells like a Belgian Tripel, tastes like a BT, Has the mouthfeel of a BT, and it's equally as strong and drinkable as a BT as long as you like drinking strong brews that end up being the focus of your night.
For 9.99 a 4-pack, it's a bargain and I'm in love with it so my score is biased. Sorry, you may want to read the next one for objectivity.

ortsacul, Jul 29, 2007
4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Bottle obtained from Total Beverage (Westminster) and consumed a couple evening later. Pours a clingy three finger white head over a clear dulled golden liquid. Many streamers race to the surface. Smells lemony and tropical with some phenol. A bit of a ginger zing and some oranges.

Tastes wet sweet with strong fruity. Some dried hay and quite a bit of phenol. I have a hard time with phenol and this beer is difficult for me to handle. Yeasty serves to temper the sweet and a strong sting from carbonation lifts the thickness from the tongue. ABV must be about 10%, but is quite well integrated with the other flavors. Clean, without fusels. Aftertaste is increasingly drying with an unpleasant phenol and aromatic oil that contributes a numbing or dulling effect. Md body and heavily carbonated. Very well balanced with an interesting story of flavors rising and falling. Judged to style, not to my particular preferences.

mentor, Jul 29, 2007
4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

750ml , best before 02/23/09, poured into pint glass with a nice rocky head, good lacing. A cloudy yellow.

Smell is grassy, some citrus notes.

This beer has a nice yeast/bready sweet taste that yields to a mild understated hop bite.

Medium mouthfeel, nice crisp carbonation.

Drinkability of this beer is good, I'll probably finish this 750ml without to much trouble.

shroompod, Jul 23, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +7.2%

My 20th review and I cant think of a better beer. I love Unibroue and this is probably my favorite offering. Poured into my goblet with a huge white head that slowly settles but is still present. Some of the most lacing I have seen. A dazzling hazy golden yellow.

Smells of Unibroue yeast, fruits, and alcohol.

Has a hoppy bite on the tongue, along with the warming alcohol and some spice that lingers. A truly remarkable beer and this one should make any Canadian proud.

irishkyle21, Jul 21, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 750 mL corked bottle into a tulip-shaped pint glass.
A: Darkly golden, plenty of bubbles, nice foamy head. Looks delicious.
S: Very fruity, but not overwhelming, and not with one particular scent. I smelled hints of apples and lemons, and plenty of orange and coriander. Maybe a trace of berries of some kind? Certainly plenty of sugary sweetness, too.
T: Sweet at first, and that lasts all the way through. It feels like it should almost turn bitter towards the end, but it doesn’t and remains perfectly well-balanced. Smooth and creamy finish. Subsequent sips reveal a nice honey flavor, as well.
M: Smooth throughout, and not that heavy for such a high alcohol beer (9% ABV).
D: For a beer of this complexity, drinkability is high. I split a 750 mL bottle with another person, and I can still feel the alcohol. I could surely have more of this beer for the taste, but it is potent stuff. I’m sure one whole bottle is enough.

LeftyBWS, Jul 20, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

#2 in my Unibroue 6-pack, very exciting.

14 karat gold with a very hazy transparency topped by a 2-finger head (more of a head depending on how skilled the pour). Great lacing lasts and lasts and lasts.

More Belgiumy (yeasty) than the darker Maudite. Sweet spicy fruit (apricot) ester aromas coupled with a sweet suger back. Malts are hard to detect a little if at all, but its a Belgium, baby, so lets all just settle down. A little bit of alcohol pulls through when one really gets their nose in there.

More alcohol than the taste, but not bad. Less apricot and more spiced fruit in general, like an amalgamation of many different non-citrusy (orangeish) fruits i.e. starfruit, mango, plantain, etc. Sweet/sour yeast finish settles on the palate as a nice wrap-up. So nice when it warms up; a warmer temperature brings out the sweet. Also when warmer the clove and cinnamon notes come out. If you don't warm this baby up then you don't know what you are missing, man.

Once again a typical Belgiumish mouthfeel of crisp bubbles and good beer. Light but with texture.

Very drinkable, but the alcohol comes out much more than in the Maudite, its darker sister, and is less complex than Maudite, also. Still, preferable over a delirium Tremens and is quite delicious during hot summer days. A very good brew.

tapman, Jul 18, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a glass and the drink had a faint gold color with a nice head that dissapated slowly. Smell is reminiscent of the other Unibroue lines I have tried not that I am complaining(fruity). The taste was excellent no aftertaste very smooth. I could definetly drink this again and recommend this to anyone who can find it

choyhosoi, Jul 18, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +4.9%

An exceptional beer from Unibroue. Incredibly drinkable for its potency and for the complexity of its flavor (there are four or five distinct strains of taste to focus on), and is not to be missed. Bready yeast, citrus, a bit of a hay/grass flavor. Good stuff.

I could do some serious damage ... to myself, probably ... if I ever saw this on tap.

Overlord, Jul 15, 2007