2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Ratings: 7,126 | Reviews: 2,692 | Show All Ratings:
StoutItOutLoud

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12-oz bottle to tulip, best by 4-2015

A: golden straw color, massive off white head, with large irregular bubbles on the surface, recedes to a thin ring on the edge to the end
S: spicy yeast, clove, light banana, pear, light bubblegum
T: very little going on, nothing extraordinary. sweet malt, spice (clove, pepper), alcohol

this is similar to Westmalle's Tripel, though less astringent . . . good drink for a 90-degree Chicago night

06-28-2013 01:47:30 | More by StoutItOutLoud
ThePaintedGrey

4.24/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A: A cloudy honey-golden color with a sizeable white creamy head. Head eventually fades a bit (to about a 1/4 inch), leaving white lace down the glass. Pretty typical for a brew of this style.

S: A decent nose on this one. Sweet malts and coriander up front, slightly floral undertones, finishes off kind of spicy (cloves, I'd say) with a peppery alcohol tingle.

T: Starts off a tad spicy. Clove and alcohol notes tingle the tip of your tongue, but fade rather quickly. Sweet malt, coriander, hints of orange and SLIGHT twangs of other citrus seem to be the forefront of the flavors. Finishes off with a wave of warming alcohol. However, this is a lot smoother than one would assume for 9% ABV.

M: Tight, crisp carbonation even after pouring. A little more carbonation than the norm, I thought. Overall pretty creamy, with a smooth finish.

O: While the flavors on this one excel far beyond most, I'm just not flabbergasted by how good this one is. It's definitely a beer to be sipped slowly and respected. Well-rounded flavors and a smooth, creamy drinkability make this a wonderful beer to relax with an truly enjoy. It's just not something that'll find its way into my regular pick-ups.

06-24-2013 04:11:20 | More by ThePaintedGrey
45nDown

Arizona

2.35/5  rDev -45.6%

Rusty orange in color. Short lasting head with little or no lacing Okay this is my first Trippel rating. Not my favorite beer Lot's of clove flavor Recommended serving temp is 45-50 so even though I let it warm up a bit its not likely I let it was to warm. I don't have much experiance with this type of beer and its unlikely I'll be getting more any time soon. The brewer made a good clean beer...just not my speed.

06-23-2013 05:42:12 | More by 45nDown
guitarob

2.81/5  rDev -35%

Appearance: Cloudy, golden, long lasting & thick head. Very little lacing.

Smell: Alcohol, banana, bubblegum

Taste: Heavy alcohol flavor, enough that it overshadows everything else. Light taste of caramel.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly creamy, carbonation is not too heavy.

Overall: Too much of an alcohol taste. I don't know if I got my hands on a bad bottle, I wouldn't say it's undrinkable, I did finish the bottle, but it was way too boozy for my taste. The alcohol taste and aftertaste just overshadow everything that could be great about this beer. I understand that it's a tripel, and supposed to be alcoholic, but this is a little above and beyond to me.

06-22-2013 22:37:21 | More by guitarob
TheMarkE

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: Murky pale gold with an excellent head and very good lacing.

Smell: Yeast, banana, cloves and other spices, bubblegum.

Taste: Yeast, biscuit, banana, cloves, coriander, bubblegum, hints of citrus. .As it warms the spiciness increases as the banana flavor recedes, leaving you with a nice clove flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, creamy yet smooth. The clove sticks with the tongue for a while.

The Verdict: Very very good. I was expecting to be overwhelmed by this Belgian Tripel after reading all the rave reviews, but to be honest I prefer their Don De Dieu. Maybe because I just had a Hef from a local brewer that tastes very similar this.

06-20-2013 22:12:09 | More by TheMarkE
DrDaves49

Oregon

Sorry, maybe I got a bad bottle. If nothing else the clove aroma and taste is something that is totally a turn off to me. I did try to finish the bottle by holding my nose, still had a strong after taste of clove. I must be the only one out of 25k reviews that couldn't drink it. I can't handle "Any" clove no matter what it's used in.

Good for all that like this beer! Was not in my realm of drinkability .

I still have a bomber left.

06-20-2013 06:50:58 | More by DrDaves49
Kooz

3.61/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours straw yellow and cloudy with some white head that stays around through the end but leaves no lacing.

Smells of yeast has hints of spice. Smells like it will have a complex taste. Let's find out.

Has warmth to it and a slight, but not overpowering alcohol taste. I'm tasting mulled spices and caramel.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got good body and a nice foaminess.

This is a tasty beer and a good choice for drinking while debating friends.

06-19-2013 01:43:32 | More by Kooz
marybrooke

4.75/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I buy this in 750ml bottles from Wegmans for $7.99, although they do have 4-packs available as well. I have seen some reviews mention carbonation issues - I have had one bottle that seemed a little "flat" but the rest have had a good, medium amount of carbonation with a nice fluffy head.

It has a delicious, malty flavor with orange and coriander. The high alcohol content is well-hidden. This has easily become my current favorite beer.

06-18-2013 00:19:31 | More by marybrooke
scratch69

Missouri

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I poured a bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance- Slightly hazy golden color with two fingers worth of lingering, bubbly head. Fair amount of lacing.

Smell- Fruity sweetness, clove, and belgian yeast.

Taste- Juicy fruit sweetness that fades into a Belgian yeast and clove flavor.

Mouthfeel- On the light end of medium bodied, crisp, and slightly dry. Generous amount of fizzy carbonation.

Overall- A great tasting beer. I have been wanting to try this beer for a long time and I am really glad I finally got to.

06-15-2013 00:49:08 | More by scratch69
BingCrosby7

3.5/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Wonderful golden color, slightly hazy. The head was a reasonable size and kept reasonably well.

S: Ripe citrus and hops cut by spices and cloves. Hoppy, herbal lingering smell, and perhaps a bit of booze.

T: The initial fruitiness is a bit overwhelming, but then it is cut by spice and then lingers with clove. It is a very momentous experience in terms of movement of flavors. My complaint, though, is that there is too much clove -- so much so that the clove overpowers everything that comes before it.

M: Right amount of carbonation and nice, smooth drinkability.

O: This is an alright beer, though I do not like clove. That said, the clove is a little too much for me. I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm not a huge fan of this beer. I appreciate the complexity, but the only thing worse than clove in a beer, in my opinion, is anise.

06-12-2013 23:32:35 | More by BingCrosby7
utopiajane

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

This poured a hazy sunshine yellow with a tall head of loose bubbles that receded to an attractive collar and cap. Good lacing and alcohol legs. On the nose is plenty of yeast, sweet malt, sugary lemon and tangerine. On the palate it’s buttery smooth, spritzy carbonation and a little thin. It reminds you of a hefe with a little banana but it’s too sticky and the alcohol warms you and gives it away that this is a tripel. Short sweet finish, no hops on the palate at all. Understated and bewitching. This is a very well turned out tripel that would meet the end of the world with an attitude of aplomb.

06-11-2013 14:46:47 | More by utopiajane
StoutHunter

4.26/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde a few days ago for $7 at Trader Joe's. I have had this beer before, but I thought it's due time to review it and I'm in the mood for a Tripel tonight, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on May 23rd 2012, so it's a little over a year old. Poured from a brown 750ml corked and caged bottle into a Belgian Tulip.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a clean and classy look to it, I like the name of the beer also, according to my brother who speaks a little bit of french, it means The End of the World, I like it. It poured a very hazy golden yellow color that took on a slight orange hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice lacing behind. This a very good looking Tripel, one of the best looking ones I have seen.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium of sweetness that had a slight candied sugar like aroma to it and was followed by a good amount of Belgian yeast that imparts a spicy aroma with cloves seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some nice fruity aromas with some apple, pears, and banana like aromas coming through. Towards the end I get a light bubblegum aroma followed by a slight earthy aroma. The aroma was pretty good and very true to style, I liked it.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that had a slight candied sugar like flavor to it and was followed by some Belgian yeast and a medium amount of spices with cloves sticking out the most. Up next comes some nice fruit flavors, I get some crisp apple and pears with some banana flavors coming through that are a little different then most tripel's and it tastes a little more like a real banana. The alcohol was hidden nicely. On the finish there's a pretty low amount of bitterness with a fruity and Belgian yeast like aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting Tripel, it had some nice balance and it was very true to style, I enjoyed it..

M- Pretty smooth, very crisp, pretty dry, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of carbonation that was pretty fizzy. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked nicely with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and good example of the style, it had pretty much all the flavors and aromas that I look for in the style and it was pretty dry, might be the driest Tripel I have had and I thought it worked well with this beer. This beer had great drinkability, it was pretty smooth, the alcohol was hidden well, it was pretty crisp and refreshing, and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, this may be the most drinkable Tripel I have had so far, I would have no problem drinking a whole bottle and I don't think I would rule out having a couple glasses of this on a warm summer day. What I liked the most about this beer was how true to style and balanced it was, it's just what I want in a Tripel. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't anything that I didn't like or would change about this beer, it's good just the way it is. I would buy this beer again, and I would for sure like to try a fresher bottle, it's priced pretty fairly for what you get and I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style and I think it would be a nice beer to introduce someone to Belgian beers. All in all I enjoyed this beer, I think it's one of the best Tripel's that isn't made in Belgium, it's very hard to compete with the Belgians when it comes to this style, but this beer can hold it's own. Good job guys, I really need to get around to trying more Unibroue beers, I haven't had a bad one yet. So far this my favorite beer from them and Unibroue is my favorite Canadian brewing company.

06-06-2013 03:58:16 | More by StoutHunter
JMScowcroft

Vermont

4.71/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Unibroue - La Fin Du Monde

An oldie but a goody, I realized I had never reviewed this one.

Look - Pours a pale golden with a copper tinge, slightly hazy, with a foamy/fizzy head that dissipates quickly. Very little lacing, maybe a pinky or so of retention.

Smell - Belgian yeast sour with malt backbone. Spices are prevalent. Fruits complex. Apple, pineapple and other tropicals like mango, banana, and also cloves. Lots there. Phenomenal aroma, right up there with Allagash Tripel.

Taste - Wow! A blast of juicy fruits, then sour Belgian yeast, then rides into clove spice. Dissecting the fruits yields pineapple, melon, banana, pears, maybe a hint of mango as well.

Mouthfeel - Somewhat hot in the mouth and tummy, but the 9% is otherwise quite well hidden. Remarkably light finish for a Tripel. Great drinkability. Medium carbonation.

Overall - This is a top-of-the-line Tripel. Thoroughly enjoyed and would definitely recommend for those into this style.

06-05-2013 12:50:43 | More by JMScowcroft
Tonmeister

Georgia

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle served on Goose Island Glass

Appearance: Orange , cloudy, Kinda looks like it was bottle conditioned. It has a thin white head, but I can't see through it. its about 1.5cm. The lacing is maintained when tilting the glass.

The aroma is very fruity to the most part. I can smell the yeast, and it's sweet citrusy.

The taste is very sweet to my palate. I can definitely taste the belgian yeast blended with some plums or other citric fruits. The alcohol is not present. It is definitely a prime example of belgian triples. It tastes very similar to Wesmalle Tripel. It's pretty sweet and it goes down smoothly. It's almost like drinking carbonated plum, cranberry, juice.

Mouthfeel, very bubbly, highly carbonated. My tongue feels tingly as a result of the carbonation after taking a sip.

Overall this beer reminds me of their belgian counterpart; in particularly, it reminds me of Tremens and Westmalle.

06-05-2013 02:37:55 | More by Tonmeister
Roman5150

Spain

4.66/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

bottle into duvel glass

appearance: cloudy orange with a 2 finger white head, very bubbly with lots of lacing, looks like an unfiltered IPA.

smell: clove, dark figs/fruits, coriander, bubble gum, banana, subtle vanilla, citrus

taste: So sweet and carbonated, it has the dark fruit qualities of a trappist with the sweetness of a Chimay to be specific, yet has some spice complexities that differentiate it from any other beer. Huge bubblegum flavors blast your tongue right away, followed by a herbal, fruity hoppiness that mixes with the sweet malt backbone in almost perfect fashion. So remarkably balanced, no taste of alcohol whatsoever, the finish is so refreshing you may think you're drinking a soda pop.

mouthfeel: highly carbonated, medium to thick bodied feel

overall: Probably my favorite from Unibroue. All of their beers are well crafted and do not disappoint, but this one is a step above the rest. Has characteristics of all the great trappists, if I had this blind I would guess it was from Belgium and brewed by monks. This was a steal at Trader Joes, for the price it is the best beer you can buy. Probably the best outside-of-Europe take on a trappist i've had besides Final Absolution by Dragonsmead (Michigan Microbrewery).

06-05-2013 02:26:37 | More by Roman5150
roundthewaygirls

4.63/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

on tap in a chimay chalice.

A: hazy. deep yellow. a finger of pure froth. great lacing.

S: creamy. yeasty and spicy. banana. clove. VERY aromatic.

T: sweet, yeasty, fruity. banana. spicy. refreshing. phenols. bright flavor.

M: smoooth. substantial and sugary. viscous but not heavy. sticky.

O: one of the best tripels in existence. i've had it many times before and i hope to have it many times again. unibroue does the damn thang.

06-04-2013 21:32:02 | More by roundthewaygirls
DemoniChris

Nebraska

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Deep golden orange hue with a brilliant bright 3 finger white head that lasts with good carbonation.

S - Light fruit esters with a bit of spiciness. Banana, orange, lemon and peppery qualities.

T - Extends from the nose. Awesome combination of banana and citrus. The Belgian yeast is also apparent here. No alcohol present whatsoever, even at 9%!

M - Pretty thin body with a lot of carbonation to smooth things along. Very crisp and refreshing beer.

O - Unibroue is an extremely consistent brewery and La Fin Du Monde happens to be the top of their game. This beer really sold me on the tripel style and has caused me to seek out others in the style. A perfect representation of the style.

06-04-2013 11:06:39 | More by DemoniChris
carolinared

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Wow - what a good beer! Nice pour with good head, hazy in glass. Great aroma and great taste - impressed by how bold and complex both smell and taste were, but also extremely well balanced between all the fruity, spicy, malt, yeast elements. Only a hint of alcholol in the finish, but not a negative. Not heavy at all.

Overall, seems to me this was a "power beer" that one would enjoy sip by sip, but then, feel like drinking one or two more because it tasted so good and was not overtly strong or cloying (but, even one at 9% demands respect)

Now on my favorites list and will certainly buy again.

06-01-2013 14:19:11 | More by carolinared
JG_McNaulty

Ontario (Canada)

3.05/5  rDev -29.4%

I was extremely excited to try this beer based on the raving reviews I've read. However, I was pretty disappointed.

A: Right off the bat I found this to be a rather unappealing beer to look at. I poured it from the bottle into a pint glass. It was a pale gold color with a very murky tint. The head was massive - about four fingers. Which is ok for a triple I suppose.

S: The aroma didn't impress me much either. I had a hard time distinguishing the scents I was picking up. It was a sour smell. Like old fruit.

T: It definitely tasted better than it looked and smelled, but it wasn't great. I picked up some fruity notes followed by some spicy undertones. A little hop bite at the end, but balanced with the malt. Definitely couldn't tell it was 9% abv. Alcohol is hidden well. It got better as it warmed, but still didnt wow me.

M: Full-bodied, high carbonation. Almost champagne-like.

O: Not a great beer in my opinion. Drinkable, but not great. For me, it was just ok. Probably won't buy it again.

06-01-2013 14:16:57 | More by JG_McNaulty
karengarys

Indiana

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

pours nice and cloudy amber, nice fluffy head.

Smells quite fruity and clovey.

Taste is initially fruity, but converts to spice quickly.

Very rich. Nice body. Alcohol is well hidden.

Extremely nice brew. My wife will even drink it, but she is sort of a Belgian Triple kind of person.

05-29-2013 22:54:37 | More by karengarys
stella77artois

4.21/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Pours a hazy yellow-orange. Definitely some sediment action going. About a 1-inch head that dissipated quickly. Some carbonation evident at the bottom. A lot of people are turned off by the appearance. Doesn't bother me.

S - Fruity smells, pineapple comes to mind. Barley and just a faint hint of booze.

T - Oustanding. Smooth yet powerful. Just a bit of hop action evident, with a fair amount of quality malt. Also taste the aforementioned pineapple and a bit of melon. A sort of pear taste evident after beer warmed up a few degrees. The 9% ABV is hidden well, but still able to be noticed.

M - Solid, nothing outta this world. Crisp with acceptable amount of carbonation. Not dry or bitter.

O - One of the best rated beers in the world for a reason. Strong and bold yet slightly sweet, and incredibly drinkable. Won't exactly strain my hamstring running to the store for more, but I definitely see this becoming a regular beer for me.

05-29-2013 16:30:09 | More by stella77artois
MattChaos

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

By some fluke, I came across a case (six four-packs) of LA FIN DU MONDE for $30 in Boone, NC. Being a huge fan of the UNIBROUE brewery, I couldn't pass up this opportunity for a beer I've never tasted from a brewery I love. I'm a bigger fan of the DON DE DIEU, but this beer did not fail to deliver.

A- Negligible, sad to say. It poured horribly from bottle to pub glass which lend credence to the reviews I've seen in the past about the carbonation. This is not a pleasant beer to look at straight out of the bottle. I'm still watching my second glass settle. The lace looks like a vanilla milkshake. Not a show-beer.

S- I can't stop sniffing this beer with every sip. Coriander and...is that tangerine? From front to back, this beer smells even better as it warms and the fruit has made its way to the front.

T- Now I understand why fellow reviewers can't believe this is a 9.0% brew. I could easily finish a 4-pack before my liver reminds me that was a bad idea. The damned thing sips (doesn't taste, mind you) like a Hefe. I keep going back expecting a bite and it never happens. This is the subtlety of the variety of spices that have gone into brewing this piece of work. I'm usually a heavy smoker, and even heavier when drinking, but I don't even want a cigarette during this beer for fear of ruining the light and almost spicy taste of this remarkable tripel.

M- Nothing negative to say. No chop, no wince, a thoroughly enjoyable drink from neck to coaster. The fruit lingers not on the tongue, but in the entire mouth. What a joy!

O- My largest complaint is the pour. I've spent enough time in front of and behind the bar, I still can't find a way to pour this beer correctly. I'm sure out of a tap it's easier, but even on my third glass, refrigerated at a moderate 42 degrees, a 3-inch head settled into an inch and didn't disappear. Aesthetics aside, a top-notch beer for a great price. UNIBROUE never fails to deliver!

05-28-2013 04:52:19 | More by MattChaos
kickplate

3.3/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured into an over sized wine glass and was very disappointed with a head that fizzled to nothing like a lemon-lime soda.

The taste itself was pretty good, but I was so surprised to see the head barely form and then disappear that I spent the rest of my time with this brew trying to figure out if I had a bad bottle.

Some other reviews describe a similar experience. Big disappointment especially since the flavors in this beer seem to be some of the best I have tested. But where's the head?

05-27-2013 03:30:41 | More by kickplate
sadicarnot

Manitoba (Canada)

2.3/5  rDev -46.8%

La fin du monde is a based upon a wonderful recipe.

But since feb 2012 bottle dates the bottle (750 ml) priming regime has resulted in a very large number of flat beers. I cannot recommend this beer to anyone, although i appreciate the fresh hop of winter batches.

Unibroue tried to reduce the gas in its product, but couldn't manage the variation which is producing a very large number of flat or very nearly flat beers. La fin du monde shoulld have some gas, enough to push the cork from the bottle. Their quality control has become pathetic, i am very sorry to say.

05-26-2013 23:15:24 | More by sadicarnot
IdeaSpeeder

Ontario (Canada)

4.54/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Serving Type - 341ml bottle poured into tulip glass.

Appearance - Pours a cloudy, deep yellow-golden colour. Almost verging on orange. A good three fingers of fluffy white head float on top, and dissipate at a medium rate.

Smell - A truly astounding and complex aroma. I'm sure I'm in over my head here, but here it goes: Light orange peel, coriander, heavy spices (specifically what I can't say exactly) and a good dose of booze.

Taste - Alcohol up front, wich gets even more intense as the beer warms. This is followed by some hints of citrus, mostly bits of orange. A heavy spice flavour is present from start to finish. Other reviewers have pointed out a heavy yeast flavour which I wouldn't have picked up on otherwise, but which is definitely there, in a big way.

Mouthfeel - Heavy carbonation leaves for a crisp, bordering on sharp finish. Mouthfeel is dangerously light, almost fluffy. The beer seems to glide on the tongue.

Overall - 4.5/5

05-22-2013 02:09:39 | More by IdeaSpeeder